Artificial Horizon - A César...

Oleh 23meraki

You recently became part of the promotion team of the flag carrier of the country, and you're tasked to shoot... Lebih Banyak

* Introduction *
I - Trade Winds
II - Squawk
III - Magnetic Bearing
IV - Glide Slope
V - Out of Trim
VII - Shock Wave
VIII - Contrails
IX - INCERFA
X - Beacon
XI - 7500
XII - Lift
XIII - Homing
XIV - Knot
XV - Slip
XVI - Skid
XVII: Occluded Front
XVIII: Crosswind
XIX: Field of Vision
XX: Line of Position
XXI: Catch Point
XXII: Inversion Layer
XXIII: Rule of Thumb
XXIV: Downdraft
XXV: Dewpoint
XXVI: Threshold
XXVII: Windshear
XXVIII: Blind Transmission
XXIX: Mean Sun
XXX: Confirm
XXXI: Approach
XXXII: Feather
XXXIII: Mist
XXXIV: Pre-ignition
XXXV: Spin
XXXVI: Swell
XXXVII - Point of No Return
XXXVIII - Decision Height
XXXIX - DETRESFA
XL - Gravity
XLI - Open-skies
XLII - Spoiler
XLIII - Final Approach
XLIV - Artificial Horizon
* The Story behind ARTIFICIAL HORIZON *
XLV - Adverse Yaw
XLVI - Course
XLVII - Coriolis Force
XLVIII - Headwind
XLIX - Rhumb Line
L - Acknowledge
LI - Landing
The Succeeding Years
* Lt. César Basa (1915-1941) *
* Photographs *
* Timeline of AH's creation *
* Creating the world of AH *
* Sources & Credits *
* Inspired Playlist *
Bonus Chapter - Line of Position (Extended Version)
Bonus Chapter - Line of Position (César's POV)
Bonus Chapter - Touchdown

VI - Angle of Attack

157 12 0
Oleh 23meraki

The angle formed between the relative airflow and the chord line of the airfoil. The angle of attack is related to the flight path of the aircraft, not to the angle the wing makes with the horizontal. If the angle of attack becomes too great, the smooth airflow over the upper surface of the wing will break. If no corrective action is taken by the pilot, there will be a sudden loss of lift and the aircraft will stall.

* * *

December 1st, 2200Z (0600LCL + 1 Day)
Location: Davao, Philippines

The alarm is still ringing as I stare back at the hotel ceiling I last remember of. A sliver of light peeked through the gap of the blackout curtains, the soft hum of the air conditioning unit, and the presence of modernization evident in the room are reminders to me that I am back... or awake, at least. I am still in the same clothes as I remember when we've left Clark yesterday afternoon and when I've met Elian at the rooftop last night. And as an additional reminder, the ring is absent from my finger when I look on my hand and instead, Elian's coat remained folded by the foot of the bed.

I press my hands against my face and breathe in heavily.

Tangina... ang lala naman ng panaginip na iyon.

The fact that I dream of something almost so real makes it much worse. I didn't think of being hopeful that I've fallen to some sort of a parallel universe or the past or whatsoever, but just remembering it entirely in great detail is like a punch to my gut for me to think that the reason I dreamt of it is because I desire it. Do I desire that respective life with Elian or César or whoever man? And just asking myself is like forcing myself to be delusional that it could be.

"Kasalanan talaga ito lahat ni Elian," I mumble as I reach out for my phone and finally manage to turn the alarm off for who knows how long it had been ringing. "Kung hindi dahil sa sinabi niya kagabi, hindi ako mag-iisip ng kung ano-ano, at hindi rin ako magkakaroon ng ganoong klase na panaginip."

Because, seriously, I don't think that my brain will be quite too imaginative and creative to produce something as that. Not to mention the complexity of such dream world to incorporate people I know from the company and had very few interactions at all; and even placed such sequence during the American regime prior World War II...

I drop my hands back on the bed and stare once more at the ceiling. Shit... Nakalimutan ko na kaagad kung anong year 'yon!

With that, I reach out for my phone another time, open the notes app and start listing everything that I remember of that dream before I forget all about it. The weird thing about our dreams, they are not only fleeting, but they immediately vanished from our minds upon waking as we realized to ourselves that what we just see is nothing but dreams or nightmares.

And seriously, my weakness is with dates that it is the first thing that I lost in my memory bank. But I manage to write down the ones I consider to be necessary enough to connect the dots and figure it out. Call me crazy but there has to be some history attributed on that dream, too. Or rather, I only gather what is truly out of place in my known reality.

I dare open then an internet browser and type down the main subject of my interest: LT. CÉSAR BASA.

The search finishes as fast as I am eager to find out more if such a man is really part of history than just someone I conjure based on Elian and then give him a different name; as all other people in that dream remained the same and retained their names as how I remember them. But then, let us say that the universe is clearly conspiring against me to doubt my instinct and believe that it is all in my mind.

There are records about a 'lieutenant', and a 'Cesar', and a 'Basa'. But there is none for a 'Lieutenant César Basa'.

* * *

The PR Team, and the flight and cabin crews who are with us are prepared for the day's shoot. We've gathered at the hotel's lobby after breakfast, and due to our group's size, we are pick by two vans for everyone's convenience, and the males and females are separated then for no more questions to be considered regarding who will come with the first van and the other; and to also lessen whatever awkwardness that the flight and cabin crews will be feeling in our presence. In the end, as our intended location for the shoot will be at the Philippine Eagle Foundation Conservatory, which is about an hour and a half travel from the city itself, I only catch a glimpse of Elian for just a blink in fear of whatever emotion I'll not be able to hide from him; that the only interaction we have is just a nod to one another as Kathleen lead the greetings and talking with them.

But it didn't spare me from anything. Because being on the same van as the women, I remember all again the events of my dream and how those flight attendants are then colleagues of mine as nurses and that Kathleen is the American teacher herself. Though the two women part of our PR Team didn't appear to be part of the nurses, it didn't assure me much. Especially when the flight attendant whom I've been close to in the dream—Clara—decides to sit right next to me than with anyone else. Than with her own colleagues of the same league.

That alone made me fluster about why, reminding me once more that in the dream, she could've been my best friend, I guess.

"So... you're (Y/N), right?" Clara asks me about ten minutes during the drive to our destination. She is smiling at me and I can tell that it is genuine. Compared to the usual heavy makeup that they are required to in flight, she had applied a lighter one for today to match with her very touristy and casual outfit. Some sort of a fresh look out of the uniform. "The latest member of the PR Team, hmm?"

"Ah, yes. Though I've been working with the PR Team already for half a year; about the time that the planning for this promotion was conceptualized," I answer meekly, and it appears like the others with us have their own worlds than to deal with me and Clara talking.

"I'm Clara, by the way." She giggles. "Huwag kang kabahan. Hindi mo kailangan maging formal sa akin. Hindi ako nangangagat."

"Well, hindi ko mapigilan hindi maging formal. After all, you're a flight attendant. I have high respect sa inyo. The same respect as with the pilots."

"All along na ang iniisip lang madalas sa amin ng majority ng mga pasahero ay mga katulong at tagapag-silbi sa ere."

"That's part of my respect. Hindi ko alam paano niyo nagagawang maging kalmado at nakangiti pa rin kahit sa mga ganoong pagkakataon."

"It's because it is not just mere work," she says. "You enjoy doing something you love. And, to be honest, hanga rin ako sa inyo."

I blink. "Ha?"

"I mean, promotion team kayo tapos paniguradong mas malaki ang industry with the show business pero nandito kayo sa airlines. Gets?" she explains.

"Naiintindihan ko ang gusto mong ipahiwatig..."

"Or baka dahil mas stressful sa show business? Pero huwag ka rin masyadong magpaka-stress. I mean, first day pa lang ngayon ng shoot, and sorry to say this, but nakatulog ka ba talaga ng maayos kagabi?"

If another person will be saying such thing to me, I'll definitely say, "Excuse me?!" In a rather furious manner just to audibly make sense that I am definitely offended by such words. However, hearing it from Clara this time, despite this being our initial conversation at all, it seems like she is much more outspoken with concern than anything else. Not to mention that with that recent comment alone, she seems like a worried friend.

Well, come to think of it... hadn't the Clara in my dream also asked me something almost similar? About me lacking sleep because of... I can't help it as I feel my cheeks redden and I look away, slightly embarrassed by just being reminded of that weird dream sequence once more.

"Oh! I'm sorry!" she instantly says. Her concern had been evident this time, not mocking or whatsoever. "Na-offend kita sa sinabi ko. I'm sorry, hindi ko sinasadya. It's just... you look quite pale and... oh my, I'm really sorry. Akala mo kung sino ako samantalang ngayon lang tayo nagkausap o nagkakilala talaga. I'm sorry, (Y/N)."

Oh my God. "No!" I assure her at once. "Hindi ako na-offend sa sinabi mo. May naalala lang din ako kaya ganoon." I chuckle nervously. "Totoo naman na medyo kulang ako sa tulog, and medyo stressed in a matter na gusto kong maging successful itong promotion shoot na ito like the rest of the team. So, ayon. Hindi ka dapat mag-sorry about that. Lalo't halatang-halata na haggard ako, I guess?"

"If that's the case, you should sleep," she remarks.

"Huh? W-Wait!"

Truly a flight attendant even outside of a plane but even during such a travel as this, Clara hands to me the small pillow that she brought with her and also a sleeping mask. "Roughly an hour and more 'di ba ang biyahe? So, enough time for a power nap! And huwag ka mag-alala sa mga iyan, hindi ko naman talaga kailangan ngayon. In any case lang na wala akong magawa."

"B-But... ikaw na nga ang nagsabi na matagal-tagal pa 'yong biyahe. Baka mainip ka at maisipan mo na—"

"Nope! No worries." Clara smiles at me sweetly. Now I know why Antonio Mondigo in my dreams is captivated with such a beauty. "I actually love sight-seeing, and may makulit akong ka-chat so I'll definitely not get bored. So, sleep."

* * *

I didn't manage to fall asleep. Even with the pillow and the sleeping mask that Clara had been too kind to let me borrow. I try to, believe me; but in the darkness of the sleeping mask and I am all once more reminded of the possibility that I'll be having that dream again... I can't risk it. Well, do dreams work that way? Is it always in a continuous manner or will it be another dreamless sleep?

For once, I didn't take the chance and only calmed myself down just to assure Clara that I am, indeed, sleeping. For some reasons, it is a little weird to me how we easily get attached with one another; but I still can't consider her as a friend, though we're very much more acquaintances by now. A few more conversations, sure, and it will definitely be an elevated friendship status; though it is only if she also intends to consider me as a friend of hers.

Well, I am the type of person whom if shown kindness, then it is only fitting for me to return that grace no matter what others may say about him or her. Right now, that is how Clara is acting towards me that I can't help but accept her kindness.

Currently, after meeting with one of the administrators of the foundation, we are given another rundown of things to remember as we begin our shoot. Since we've earlier sent a letter of request to them, we're expected to use the premises for the next hour privately. To add, we are also given a tour around the facility and have our shooting intentions approved, all the while that the guidelines are followed still.

We trail the forestry path to reach the guests' lounge at the entrance, then down the brick pathway with stenciled names of countless people who are also donors for the continuous improvement and protection of the facility. To keep a close reflection of the wild, the pathway is only accessible one-way, or else, one will need to move sideways just to let the other passed. Aside from the Philippine Eagles bred in captive, there are also other animals being cared for like other species of birds, endangered animals such as deer and crocodiles, and also monkeys and snakes. Well, the number of eagles is definitely at the top, but snakes are secondary as there are too many signs saying to proceed with caution.

One of the bold requests that the promotion team had conceptualized and had been accepted is the chance to be close to the airlines' adopted Philippine Eagle.

Yeah, the company has a Philippine Eagle as a pet! Much more like a child!

To be honest, our promotion shoot is quite timely as the said eagle is about to approach its hatchday or birthday within the week.

But enough with it. My mind is still wondering about that dream and the fact that I am becoming crazy for conceptualizing such things than let it be historically influenced. Not to mention that strange feeling that the dream is tied to the past and not just my mere imagination.

And yet... paano ko ba ma-eexplain iyon sa iba? Na napanaginipan ko si Elian bilang César? Tapos parang pamilyar sa akin na may tao talagang César Basa ang pangalan? Na hindi lang kung sinu-sino pero may lugar din na nakapangalan sa kanya?

It already sounds weird when I am asking myself, then how much the person who'll be hearing me?

I sigh heavily and from my position in overlooking the framing of the shot, I can't help but look at where Elian and Capt. Zablan are right now. Of course, like the rest of the crew, they are dressed out of their uniforms and to something casual and magazine worthy. It is not my first time seeing Elian not wearing the uniform, but it had been years since the last time, and how could he be much more captivating now in a white dress-shirt?

And fuck me, I am all again reminded of César. Their resemblance is absolutely uncanny, especially now that I take focus on Elian's clothes that mirrors that of what I saw César had been wearing. The fact that the long-sleeves of the dress-shirt are now folded until his elbows and he matched it with some khaki jeans make it appear like Elian is the living dream César itself!

I whine dejectedly and it didn't go unnoticed.

"Hello? Earth to (Y/N)," Ellen, a member of the promotion team who is standing close to me, instantly calls for my attention with a light chuckle. She whispers the next before we get a stern look of warning from Kathleen, "Anong nangyayari sa iyo ngayon, ha? Totoo ba talaga na hindi ka nakatulog ng maayos kagabi? Narinig ko 'yong pag-uusap niyo ni Clara."

I click my tongue, turn to her for a moment before sighing heavily. "Oo. Ang dami kong biglang inisip. Except sa prayers ko na maging successful 'yong shoot, dumagdag pa sa iniisip ko 'yong panaginip ko. Tapos ang weird na may pakiramdam akong existing iyon kaso wala naman sabi ni Google."

She lightly elbows me and asks, "Well, tungkol saan ba? Baka naman nasa Facebook or Twitter or Tiktok pa lang at hindi pa narereach ni Google."

"Seryoso kasi, Ellen."

"Totoo naman, ha? Kaya nga nagkakandaloko-loko ang Pilipinas dahil mas naniniwala na ang mga tao sa kung anong nababasa nila na fake news kung saan-saan. At alam mong gala ako sa mga iyon, at the same time na hindi ako naniniwala sa mga iyon. Duh! Kaya nga ito na, tulungan na kita sa bagay na hindi kayang sagutin ni Mister Google."

I look at her, trying to gauge if I shall tell her or not. In the end, I give up and decide to trust her. After all, she already said so herself. She has a weird taste when it comes to dealing with the internet and yet remains a firm believer of the truth; in short, a weirdo, in a level, as me, I guess. I drop the bomb at once, saying, "History geek or not, it is about someone named 'Lieutenant César Basa'. Or kung hindi man, the feeling that I've heard a place such as 'Basa Air Base' from before. Ring a bell?"

Ellen frowns at me first before half a minute passed that her lips curl into an interested smile. "Girl... are you fantasizing... you know... sa panaginip mo para ma-stress ka ng ganyan?"

"Heck, no!" I am quick to reply, and both of us duck our heads down when in my response, I didn't remember keeping my voice a little low. Thankfully, it seems like we didn't catch others' attention for the shoot to just continue. "Tsk, sa tingin mo... ako, mananaginip tungkol sa kanya? Or be even interested? I mean, I know the dude way back in college, pero walang-wala iyon. We're basically strangers, so bakit ako mananaginip na involved siya?"

I don't know if my explanation had been acceptable, and she didn't realize that I am making up excuses. Because I'll very much want to be buried alive than to admit that yes, I dreamed of Elian—or, at least, a look-a-like of his with a much better and lovable personality, somehow.

She giggles lightly and tugs me on the arm. "Because, girl... wala akong maalala na gano'ng pangalan sa history books, and walang lugar na 'Basa Air Base', okay? Pero... mayroong 'Basa Air Base'. Iba nga lang ang meaning."

I blink at her and my ears perk for her next words.

"No matter how weird and strange it is, iyon 'yong pangalan ng fanbase ni 'Face of the Airlines'."

* * *

A/N: Vote, comment and share! Whatever you do means a lot to me, and I am really wishing for some feedback! Congratulations and best wishes to two of my batchmates for their wedding today! Suddenly remember them trying to hide their relationship from the rest of us during our pre-solo days in Subic! Unfortunately, wasn't able to attend as today coincides with my Tata's younger brother's funeral.

A few list of notes to share!
1. The date. Well, the chapter is set on 2 December; but you'll be asking why it was mentioned to be "December 1st, 2200Z"? This is the date format used in flight plans for consistency, as it follows the UTC or Zulu time. Hence, if that's the UTC time, as the Philippines is eight hours ahead, it would then be "0600LCL + 1 Day" or "December 2nd, 0600 local time".
2. As mentioned from the previous chapter, there is really a Basa Air Base, all contrary to what is going on in this chapter. And nope, I don't think that it will be a fanbase name at all, too!

Chapter title: Angle of Attack. As described, angle of attack is the angle between the chordline of the wing to the relative wind. Angle of attack is also an important aspect for a plane to lift or climb, probably as fast as possible, too; as by the time that it goes beyond the critical angle of attack, the wings will stall and cause it to loss lift. The reason behind choosing it as the title for this chapter is very much due to the notion of the Reader freely floating between the dreamscape and the reality now that the Reader's in the world the Reader was aware of. There are a lot more to expect that will be thrown at the Reader in the succeeding chapters~

Follow me on twitter @23meraki for more updates and trivia. ;)
#CFBArtificialHorizon

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

10.1M 758K 88
Marriage had always been my dream but not to a man about whom I know nothing. The moment my father fixed an alliance of me to a Prince without even t...
18.7K 546 25
「COMPLETE」 、、、、、、、、 『They both opened their eyes and and smiled, sighed then laughed. Hawk put his hand over Rose's then they both looked at the star...
84.3K 2.2K 85
We know Link's story throughout all the games, but there are still many missing pieces that only the power of the goddess can bring to us. In the eye...
4.6K 111 11
TRIGGERS: Suicide via Overdosing. Mask has always been a downer, always been one to hate on other's happy lives. Because he's never had his own happy...