A Demon's Drink {Book Three-K...

By SpeakNoEvil

Katrina has gone through just about everything. She's lost family, she's lost friends, and she almost lost he... More

A Demon's Drink
Chapter One
Chapter Two!
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter 10!
Chapter Eleven!
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16!
Chatper 17 =)
Chapter 18
Chapter 19!
Ch. 21 *Real One Guys!*
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50

Chapter 20

1.1K 38 22
By SpeakNoEvil

--- Kat’s POV---

I was currently outside the city limits, sitting in the middle of empty space of grass. I normally would call it a field, but it was all of five square feet of grass; definitely not a field. The sun was high in the sky, so it was around one or two, and a nice breeze would pass my way occasionally. Today was sunny and it just seemed like an easy kind of day. I had just lain down when a figure decided to block my sun.

“Whoever you are, please move.” I smiled up at the figure. They moved over and I closed my eyes, hearing their heartbeat quicken the slightest bit before settling back down again. “Whoever you are, you’re either surprised, happy, or scared to see me.” I mused, enjoying the sun on my face.

“You’re supposed to be dead.” Tim Drake’s voice registered as he sat down in the grass next to me. I kept my eyes shut and a small smirk found its way onto my lips.

“Thank you Tim.” I snorted. “Who told you that?”

“Bruce did.” He was hesitant to answer, but I knew the answer before he gave it.

“Of course he did. Richard came to talk to me the other day. Is it your turn now or something?” I hadn’t meant to sound so angry and mean, but I couldn’t help it when Bruce was sending the birds to come talk to me.

“I just saw you sitting up here and decided to see who was loitering on Wayne property.”

“Ah.” I frowned. “I didn’t realize I was on his land. I’ll be on my way soon enough, out of y’all’s hair once more.” Finally opening my eyes, I could see his dark hair had been cut short recently. His eyes stared off into space, thoughts swirling and fighting with one another behind those blue beauties.

“Done staring at me Miss Wayne?” A smirk spread across his face as his eyes met mine. There was something about his sarcasm that made me feel like a relatively normal person; for once.

“Boudreaux. Not Wayne.” I stood up and dusting off my shorts, the wind blowing my hair into my face. “Bruce is done with me.” My voice cracked, but I turned and walked to my motorcycle before Tim could do anything.

---

 It was now about two thirty and my book sack weighed another fifteen pounds. I maneuvered my way through traffic until I came to one of the more familiar alleyways of the city. Hiding my bike behind the dumpster was a lot easier now than it had been before; Ra’s. I crouched down and removed the manhole cover before dropping into it.

It was a lot darker down here than I had remembered, but my eyes adjusted all too quickly and my ears picked up rats five tunnels over. Someone had been following me for a while, but I wasn’t too worried about him or her. I mean, I lived down here with Waylon and Grundy of all people.

A few more turns and jumps later, I was walking down the tunnel that would lead me to the big open room Solomon Grundy used to occupy. I grabbed my cane from my bag and began to twirl it, liking the whooshing sound it made in the air.

“Guess who’s home?” I called before entering the space. It was empty. Completely, one hundred percent, empty. “Grundy?” My voice rose the slightest bit, hoping he was just hiding in one of the shadowy corners. No response came, but the sound of the stranger’s footsteps quickened. “Solomon Grundy, born on a Monday,” I started to sing as I ran out of the room.

The footsteps chased me.

“Christened on Tuesday,” my voice shook the slightest bit as my mind began to imagine who was following me.

Their heart beat fluttered in excitement.

“Married on Wednesday!” I was now yelling, hoping he’d appear.

The click of a gun being loaded rang in my ears.

“Took ill on Thursday!”

My cane turned on and the buzzing overpowered all other sounds.

“Grew worse on Friday.” My voice was steadier.

The sound of footsteps ceased.

“Died on Saturday.” I was back to a singsong voice, looking around me. I was currently in the middle of a four-way intersection.

Plop. Plop. Plop! Plop! SPLASH!

“Buried on Sunday.” My voice changed to Storm’s, scary and nightmarish as I faced the southern tunnel.

A person appeared, gun pointed straight ahead of them. They cocked it and my cane glowed in the dark space.

“And that was the end,” I smirked, pointing my cane at him.

“Of Solomon Grundy.” A deep, dead voice answered from my left. Both the stranger and I turned to see the huge zombie make his way toward us.

He was in a worse condition than when I had left a couple weeks ago. His face was even more scratched up and bruised from a fight. You could see him walking with a slight limp as he approached us. The stranger turned his gun on him, but the Grundy never hesitated.

“Solomon Grundy.” He said once more, looking down at me. “Solomon. Grundy.” He grunted, looking at the other person.

“As long as you don’t shoot, he won’t hurt you.” I spoke kindly to the stranger while still pointing my electric rod in their direction.

“You trust him?” A man’s voice questioned.

“More than I trust you.” I raised an eyebrow at the weapon that was still aimed in my direction. After a few more seconds he lowered his gun and started to approach me again.

“Solomon Grundy.” My friend grunted again, momentarily stopping my attacker.

“I don’t think he likes me.” The guy chuckled. I could now see he was wearing dark washed jeans, a black tee, and a leather jacket. He had short black hair that could just barely reach his eyes in the front; the sides were shorter. I removed my bag and opened it, pulling out the slab of meat.

“Hey, Solomon honey,” I smiled at the white giant as he turned to face me. “I brought lunch.” He walked to me and I handed him his customary snack.

“K……Ka……K..a…. Ka…” He tried, surprising me. I didn’t know he could say anything outside of the old rhyme.

“Kat.” I smiled at him as he sat down to devour his meal. “You,” I looked up at the guy who followed me into the sewer. “Who the hell are you and why did you chase me?”

“I just wanted to say hi.” He smirked, approaching me once more. Grundy paused his meal to glance up at me. The minute I started to approach this new guy, he resumed eating.

“There are easier ways of getting a girl’s attention.” I raised an eyebrow at him. He was incredibly well built, probably a martial arts fighter. “The gun was to help you with that?” I motioned to the small firearm that was still in his right hand.

“In this town you never know when you’ll need to protect yourself. Is that why you have the glow stick?” he snickered.

“It’s electricity, wanna see how it works?” I hissed at him, nearly whacking him in the head with my cane.

“Feisty, I see why Ra’s would find you interesting.” He mused to himself while my inner-self killed him dozens of times. In reality I just kicked his legs out from under him and put my foot on his chest before bringing the knob of my cane to his cheek.

“Ra’s sent you?” I growled down at the now worried man. “Leave me alone, all of you. I won’t help him, I won’t talk to him, but please tell him I said thank you for the gifts.” My voice had slipped to Storm’s, like it was her out here.

“Trust me kid, I don’t work for Ra’s.” He put up his leather-clad hands in defense. “I only caught wind of his interest in you and decided to see how interesting you really are.”

“Why? Are you some sort of bounty hunter or something?” I gave him an extremely sarcastic face, but on the inside I was actually worried. The last thing I need is to be the target for weirdoes’ next paycheck.

“Do I look like a bounty hunter?” He smirked up at me and I rolled my eyes.

“The obvious obsession with leather and weapons? Come on now.” I snorted. “Who are you?”

“Well, Miss Kat, I am Jason Todd.” He smiled smugly up at me, obviously hoping to phase me or something.

“Who?” I questioned, not too sure I recognized the name.

“You wouldn’t know me would you?” Jason chuckled. I stepped off of him and backed up a little closer to Grundy. “You were gone for a while and Bruce never let me meet you. Said something along the lines of ‘she doesn’t need to know about what we do.’”

“Jason Todd.” I tried the name on my lips and frowned when nothing registered. “I don’t…”

“I was the second Robin.” He smiled proudly. “Dick had been Nightwing a longer time than you know. Bruce kept me a secret, saying how it was already hard enough to keep Richard quiet around you.”

“How did you get by me for so long?” Bruce had crossed yet another line with me. “And if you were Robin, how… just… why didn’t you turn out like Ricky?” I was so completely confused and he finally lost that cocky bit in his face.

“Something happened.” His voice got really dark and I didn’t move. The last thing I needed was for him to ricochet a bullet around here. “I wouldn’t expect him to have told you.”

“He didn’t tell me much that wasn’t a lie or story.” I muttered.

“So,” he smirked. “Want to get out of here? Maybe go get a burger or something?”

“I actually have to go check in with a friend. He absolutely abhors when I’m late.” I chuckled to myself. “I’ll see ya ‘round Jason.”

“That you will.” He nodded to me before we turned our separate ways and made our way back to the surface world.

---

“Jervis!” I yelled as I pounded on his door. “Open uuuuppppppp!” I whined and continued to beat the door senseless. Why do I keep beating inanimate objects senseless? I need to get help for that. I would have continued my tapping, my rapping upon his chamber door, but a bat flew out.

“Kat? What are you doing here? Hey come back!” He yelled at me while holding an unconscious hatter over his shoulder. I continued running down the street before responding.

“Quoth the raven, Nevermore!” I cackled to myself.

I ran around the city, twice, before going back to the warehouse. Jonathan was nowhere in sight and unless he learned to stop his heart from beating, he wasn’t anywhere near me. The place was kinda eerie when everyone else went away. I walked over to the fridge and found a note taped to the outside door.

Kat,

            Sorry, but I had to go back to my original place. The warehouse just isn’t frightening enough for my test subjects. I’m sure you understand. Anyway, Harvey called and is looking for a partner in a heist. I figured if you’re as bored as you say you are, you’ll lend a helping hand. Just don’t get caught.

                                    Yours always,

                                                Jonathan Crane

Well that was sweet of him.

I picked up the wall phone and dialed the number he attached at the bottom of the note.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

“Hello?” Two Face’s voice graced my ears.

“Howdy Harv.” I smiled into the receiver. “Heard you were looking for a partner in crime, literally.”

“You up for it little Kat? Or is Miss Storm gracing us?”

“Kat’s going. It’s always Kat.” I ground out. I really hated it when they thought I was like Harvey; split.

“Just checking. Heard you had a fall in with a Lazarus Pit and we all know how well those go over.”

“I’m perfectly fine.” I growled at him. “You can pick me up tomorrow, you invited me on the date.” I hung up before he could object and stomped off to the couches. “Stupid politician.” I muttered before sitting on the couch and starting up Netflix.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

175K 6.4K 58
Athena Thomas has been gone for nearly two years. When her and Dick Grayson last saw each other, she was leaving and taking his heart with her. But w...
190K 5.4K 36
Katrina was born and raised in Louisiana until the age of five when her parents were brutally murdered and attempted her death as well. She was taken...
55.1K 1.5K 49
Love. A word so simple yet so complex. For Bruce, it meant family. Family that he lost and the family he created. But love can be harsh, especially i...
10.3K 581 43
Per·plex·i·ty: inability to deal with or understand something complicated or unaccountable. The Riddler. His mission, figure out a way for the him an...