A New Masterpiece (COTE x OC)

By kinato_

Kiyotaka Ayanokouji, the masterpiece of the Whiteroom, an unchallenged existence in this world, with unfathom... More

Chapter 1 - The Opening
Chapter 2 - First Introductions
Chapter 3 - The Student Council President
Chapter 4 - An Unusual Outing
Chapter 5 - Class Leaders
Chapter 6 - Revelations
Chapter 7 - Study Group
Chapter 8 - A New Goal
Chapter 9 - Midterms
Chapter 10 - Bad News
Chapter 11 - The Trial
Chapter 12 - Silver Lining
SS.1 - Growth (Horikita)
Chapter 13 - A Break
Chapter 14 - Deserted Island Exam (1)
Chapter 15 - Deserted Island Exam (2)
Chapter 16 - Deserted Island Exam (3)
Chapter 17 - Deserted Island Exam (4)
Chapter 18 - Deserted Island Exam (5)
Chapter 19 - Deserted Island Exam (6)
Chapter 20 - Deserted Island Exam (Finale)
Chapter 21 - A Day Off
Chapter 22 - Zodiac Exam (1)
Chapter 23 - Zodiac Exam (2)
Chapter 24 - Zodiac Exam (3)
Chapter 25 - Zodiac Exam (Finale)
Chapter 26 - Sazae-san Syndrome
Chapter 27 - The Beginning
Chapter 28 - A Leader
SS.2 - Behind a Mask (Kushida)
Chapter 30 - Investigation
Chapter 31 - The Renegade
Chapter 32 - The Show Begins
Chapter 33 - Challenges
Chapter 34 - Dirty Tricks
Chapter 35 - Breakpoint
Chapter 36 - Farce
Chapter 36.5 - Small Talk
Chapter 37 - Collapse
Chapter 38 - Negotiations
Chapter 39 - Elites
Chapter 40 - Resolve (1)
Chapter 41 - Resolve (2)
Chapter 42 - Paper Shuffle
Chapter 43 - The Changing Class D
Chapter 44 - Proposition
Chapter 45 - A Warning
Chapter 46 - Indignity
Chapter 47 - Vengeance
Chapter 48 - The Cunning
SS.3 - A New Goal (Sakayanagi)
Chapter 49 - Pursuer
Chapter 50 - Unexpected Coincidence
Chapter 51 - A Club Members Duties
Chapter 52 - A Senior's Wish
Chapter 53 - Setting A Stage
Chapter 54 - The Final Act Begins
Chapter 55 - The Pain of Hope
Chapter 56 - The Beginning of the End
Chapter 57 - The Fear of the Unknown
Chapter 58 - Dread
Chapter 59 - Bloom
Chapter 60 - Preparation
News
Chapter 61 - Initiation
Chapter 62 - A Good Gift
Chapter 63 - A Christmas Date? Pt.1
Chapter 64 - A Christmas Date? Pt.2

Chapter 29 - Ability

1.4K 77 23
By kinato_

(Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, POV)

"Why is Fukumoto-kun the leader?" Inogashira voiced her concern about Fukumoto's sudden appointment as leader of Class D.

It was shocking news for the rest of the class yesterday when Hirata made it extremely clear that Fukumoto would be leading the class during the Sports Festival and possibly for the foreseeable future too.

"I mean, he's a good guy and all," Yukimura said. "But so far; I haven't heard of him contributing too much during special exams. Besides, switching the leadership core within our class now has to come with some consequences."

There were a few murmurs of agreement within the class.

Up until now, from what the class knows, Fukumoto has only helped lead a study group and was involved with Sudo's case at the beginning of the year. Other than that, he seems to be a plain student with a close friend circle.

Each student here has the right to question this move by Hirata since they do not truly know the capabilities of Fukumoto.

"Like, where even is the guy right now?" Ike addressed the class. "As leader, shouldn't he be a part of this?"

"Everyone," Hirata took the center stage behind the podium. "Fukumoto-kun is currently acquiring some tools to help measure our physical ability in preparation for this Sports Festival. As to why he is appointed leader, I believe he is a valuable asset to our class. He is well skilled in academics and athletics, and has true potential to become a strong leader within our class."

"But, isn't that only wishful thinking?" Shinohara questioned. "You believe he has potential. That doesn't mean he can lead the class."

More students began to agree with the sentiment. If they had the knowledge of Fukumoto's achievements that were hidden in the shadows, like Horikita and I knew, they wouldn't be as opposed to this situation right now.

"I believe Fukumoto-kun will be a great leader for our class," Matsushita stood up in support of one of her close friends. "Not only does he have strong connections within this class, but he has connections outside of this class, namely, Class B."

Fukumoto was an all rounder. Athletic, intelligent, with strong charisma alongside this. But since he hasn't made his achievements common knowledge, the class is still apprehensive about his new position.

"If I may," Horikita spoke up for the first time. "Fukumoto-kun, on the outside, may seem to be a typical high-school student. Annoying, and nothing special about him. But truly, since he joined this school, he has helped our class in multiple ways."

"How so?" Yukimura asked.

"Not only has he led a study group in preparation for the first exam. As mentioned before, he is a big reason for Class B and Class D having a cooperative relationship. He has garnered the attention of prominent individuals within our school. Not only that, he alone helped our class acquire more points during the island test."

More idle chatter was heard among the class now at this reveal. True, Horikita briefed the class about the major achievements of Fukumoto. But there were subtle accomplishments he had achieved that were astonishing in their own right.

The class was starting to become aware of Fukumoto's ability.

Coincidentally, the man of the hour slid the classroom doors open and stepped into the class.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Fukumoto Akio, POV)

I had received permission from Chabashira-sensei to book a time in the gymnasium to have a space to measure everyone's physical ability in the class.

I found grip strength machines, vertical jump test measures, and more to gain a solid insight into the skill of each one of our classmates.

I heard some avid chatter as I approached the doors to my classroom. Casually, I opened the door and walked.

Immediately, all eyes were on me and the talking stopped. An awkward and menacing silence fell over everyone as they stared at me.

I scanned all the faces in the classroom. Most had surprised, worried, or confused expressions on their face. For some reason, Horikita was standing near her desk and Hirata stood at the podium.

After some time standing at the door, I realized what had happened.

"Ah, I see..."

I walked toward the podium at the front of the class. Hirata, seeing my action returned to his desk.

"Now, from what I can gather. It seems like people within this class are... Questioning the decision to make me leader for the Sports Festival."

I could see multiple people's faces tighten at the remark. The tension within Class D was heavy and weighed down on everyone.

"I don't expect you all to trust my ability right off the bat. That would be childish thinking. But what I do want you all to know is I will give it my all to help this class achieve its potential."

Some murmurs were heard throughout the class in approval.

"If my performance as a leader is below your standard I will happily step down and let someone you deem as worthy take the mantle. But to reach new heights and further standing within our year I need everyone's help."

I looked at each and every one of the students who sat before me.

"Everyone here has the potential to make a difference and I want to be the one to help you do so. I'm not the only one who wishes that too. Hirata, Kushida, and Horikita. People who are also natural leaders want to see our class rise to the top and I know if everyone gives it their all, it will happen... Now let me ask you, do you see me as a leader?"

Kushida was the first to respond as she rose from her desk. "Of course! You've helped us without our knowledge, but it's time we all contribute to Class D."

"That's right, we're going to be unstoppable," Yamauchi yelled.

I surveyed the emotions of everyone once more. After my speech, most students seemed more comfortable with my position. Others like Horikita, Ayanokouji, Hirata and even ones like Karuizawa displayed little to no change regarding the situation. Probably because of their faith in me.

"What do we do now?" Maya asked.

"Well, I booked us time in the gymnasium to test our physical abilities. We have machines to test grip strength, vertical jump, and sprint test so we can get an accurate measurement of everyone's skill. From there, we could best decide who competes in the recommended events. Personally, those with the best athletic ability should compete in those events to provide the best results for our class."

One hand raised from the crowd as I finished.

"Well, I see your point, Akio," Kei said. "But I'd like to test my luck with the recommended events. After all, marks on a midterm are on the line. I'd feel much better if I had those marks going into the test."

I knew this would happen, someone would oppose the idea of giving all the chances to the highly athletic, but I didn't expect it to be from Karuizawa.

"I see where you are coming from too. Having safety in an exam is reassuring. But we never know how many opportunities we'll have to gain Class Points. For all we know, 50 Class Points or less could decide whether we graduate from Class A."

"I understand. But can you guarantee; athletes like Sudo could hold out on doing all the recommended events on top of the required ones? Right, Kushida? Don't you think so too?"

Kushida?

"Um, well... I see the benefits of both arguments. Getting class points and having that safety is nice, so..."

Kei raised a strong argument. Having the highly athletic students compete would improve our chances of winning, but we have to take into account their endurance and ability to compete when they enter into so many events. But why did she involve Kushida?

"I can guarantee it," Sudo exclaimed. "I'd never get below 1st place."

The confidence this guy has.

"Alright," I said. "I don't want this to be a discussion that leaves out the rest of the class. Why don't we put it to a vote?"

Kei's expression was shocked for a moment. But she didn't oppose.

"Raise your hand if you want to continue with Karuizawa's plan."

14 hands rose.

"Now, raise your hand if you want to continue with my plan."

18 hands rose.

So, 8 people abstained.

"Well, it seems, for now, we will continue with my plan. Now I would like you all to prepare as we head to the gym to test our physical ability."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Let's continue by measuring the grip strength of our dominant hand," I said as I passed the machine among the boys. "Tell me your results, and I will record them."

"Fukumoto, toss me one," Sudo said. "I'll set the bar so high, all these other wimps will try better to catch up."

"I don't know how..."

Honestly, if he set the bar too high, it might dishearten more people here than actually encourage them.

"Watch this," Sudo proclaimed.

He grasped the machine firmly in his right hand. The numbers began to rise rapidly, shooting past the 40s range, and continued to climb. It didn't seem to stop, but eventually, it evened out at 81.6kg.

"Wow, Sudo! You're a freak," Ike, his friend, exclaimed.

Sudo proudly flexed his muscles. "I've been training, you know. Kouenji, see if you can beat that."

Kouenji sat there proudly, paying more attention to his nails than Sudo.

"I'm not concerned with petty measurements like this. You can excuse me from participating."

"Wha-?! Tch, you've always been a weird guy."

Sudo immediately gave up his efforts on persuading Kouenji.

"Here, Ayanokouji, you do it."

Sudo threw the grip strength machine to Ayanokouji.

This was something I wanted to see.

Once Ayanokouji took hold of the machine but was hesitant to start. If it was about how to use it, I'm sure he saw how Sudo did it, so it wouldn't be a problem.

"Hey, Sudo..." Ayanokouji said.

"Huh? What is it?"

"What would you say the average is for a high school boy?"

"Hm? I don't know? Like 60 or something."

"I see..."

Why would he need to ask that?

Without another word, Ayanokouji took hold of the machine. Once he applied pressure, the screen sprung to life, and the numbers immediately shot up to 50. But coincidentally, started to settle down around the 60 mark.

"What'd you get?" I asked.

Ayanokouji turned the machine my way. "60.4kg."

"Wow, your strong, Ayanokouji."

"No. I believe that's average," he replied in his monotone voice.

I gave a slight chuckle in response. "Nope, most would be scoring around 45-50."

Ayanokouji stood there for a moment thinking. In the background, I could faintly hear Sudo snickering at how Ayanokouji responded.

"Well, you do it then."

Ayanokouji passed me the grip strength machine.

What should I aim for?

I believe a score below Sudo and above Ayanokouj would satisfy. After all, it may be common knowledge now about the extent of my physical ability. People have seen a small portion of my ability in swim class and volleyball. Besides, with kendo too, I should have a higher-than-average grip strength.

If I went 100%, people may see the score as a red flag and possibly think I was cheating in some form.

I tightened my grip on the machine, and the number began to rise. Making sure to have fine coordination over my muscles, I achieved a decent score.

"72.3kg," I said.

"Woah," Hirata said, astonished. "That's extremely impressive, Fukumoto-kun."

"Well, I did use to practice kendo and try to remain physically active. So I guess this score is just from all my training."

After recording everyone's score, I ordered the results.

Sudo came 1st with 81.6kg. 2nd was me, 72.3kg. Ayanokouji, 3rd with 60.4kg. 4th, Hirata with 56.6kg. And finally, to complete the top 5, Miyake with 53.1kg. Kouenji did not end up participating in any of these tests.

"Wow, everyone in this class is way weaker than I thought," Sudo boasted. "Well, maybe, except for Fukumoto and Ayanokouji."

Even though he half complimented me, I was still shocked about how cocky he could be.

After wrapping up the grip strength measurement for the boys, we passed it over to the girls.

"Looking at all the values, we have a good idea of who should compete in the tug-of-war events. Based on grip strength, it would be Sudo, Hirata, Ayanokouji, and me," I murmured to myself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey, Kushida?"

I called out to her after I had recorded all of our classmate's values for the test we conducted.

"Yes, Fukumoto-kun?"

"Do you mind getting this notebook to Horikita while I clean up?" I recorded all our classmate's values and built a solid potential lineup for our events.

"I'd be happy too!" Kushida responded with her angelic smile.

As she reached out to take the notebook from my hand, I pulled my arm back slightly so she couldn't reach it.

"What's the matter, Fukumoto-kun?"

"It's imperative that none of this information leaves this class. Or even better, Horikita and I, to be precise. So, I'd like you to promise me that none of this information gets out or that you won't look at it."

Kushida tilted her head in response. "Do you not trust me, Fukumoto-kun?"

"It's not that..." I replied. "I'm just worried about any leaks."

"Don't worry, Fukumoto-kun. I'd never do anything to harm this class."

After Kushida promised to keep the notebook safe. I passed it off to her with full confidence.

"Thank you," I said.

Kushida left the gym and waved goodbye in response.

As soon as she disappeared from my sight, I went to pick up the grip strength machines, which were the only things left to clean up.

But, out of the corner of my eye. I noticed one student straggling behind.

"Ayanokouji, can you help with this?" I said, waving around a grip strength machine.

Ayanokouji nonchalantly walked to me and grabbed a machine. And after walking into the storage room that was out of sight from everyone.

"Ayanokouji."

"Hm?"

"Just curious, but what happens to be your actual grip strength?"

"Why ask? You know it's around 60kg, you recorded it."

"Don't try to fool me. If someone told you the average was 20kg, you would've got 20. If the average was 70kg, you would've got 70. So, I want to know your actual grip strength."

It was far too easy of a test for Ayanokouji to only score a 60 on it.

"How should I prove it to you?"

"Use the machine again," I replied. "No one will see it, so give it a 100% this time, alright?"

Ayanokouji's expressionless face stared at me for a couple of seconds before reluctantly grabbing the grip machine.

Like before, he grabbed it firmly in his right hand and squeezed it.

The numbers went up exponentially faster than before. Easily, passing the 60 mark.

Soon it was at 80.

95.

105.

And finally, the score came to a halt.

At 112.6kg.

I was shocked for a moment to see a score like that. Ayanokouji wasn't the biggest guy, he was built, but nothing like powerlifters who produce those kinds of numbers.

"Are you sure you aren't human?" I said jokingly. "Is there like a demon inside of you or something?"

Ayanokouji didn't respond immediately but gave me a dull stare. "I'm 100% human, I think... That is why I didn't show my true strength. I only want a calm and peaceful life."

"Yeah, yeah, if you wanted that, you wouldn't have come to this school."

Ayanokouji pushed the grip strength machine into my chest.

"Now it's your turn."

"Why me? I maxed out the first time."

"I find that hard to believe," he replied nonchalantly.

"Fine."

There was no use arguing with him.

I put all my strength into it and...

Ayanokouji was speechless for a moment. And almost unnoticeably, his face tightened for a split second.

"And you say I'm a demon."

I didn't know the final score of my grip strength because no numbers were presented on the screen.

But the last number I saw before the message 'error' popped up was.

120kg.

"Guess it maxes out at 120," I said.

"We'll never know your true score. But from the looks of it, you could've gone higher."

I replied with a shrug. "I guess so."

I placed the machine back down and went to exit the storage room.

"I'm surprised, though," Ayanokouji said. "Never thought someone could beat me in that regard."

"Well, guess it's a secret then."

Ayanokouji responded with a curt nod.

We made some idle talk with each other as we left the gymnasium.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once I had recorded everyone's values, made a rough guess of the best events for each individual to participate in, and sent that information to Horikita, we decided to call it a day and return to our dorms.

As a class, we decided to not overdo it at the moment for the risk of injuries. But starting tomorrow, we would start our serious training for the Sports Festival.

It was getting close to midnight at this point.

I lay there aimlessly on my bed, staring up at the ceiling of my room.

It had been a long and tiresome day, but I found myself unable to sleep.

I grabbed my phone and looked through some apps till I felt the urge to sleep.

Unexpectedly, though, an unknown caller ID appeared on my screen.

"Hello?" I said.

"Fukumoto. It's been a long time."

I remembered that voice. I hadn't heard it in a while, but it was familiar.

"Student Council President. May I ask how you got my number?"

"That should be the least of your worries; at the moment," he replied flatly.

"Oh, right. You're the Student Council President, so you can basically; do anything here."

It was silent for a moment. Seemed like he didn't like the joke.

"Why are you calling me this late?" I asked.

"It's to do with the upcoming Sports Festival."

I stayed silent to let Horikita-senpai continue.

"There will be many moments throughout this exam where a certain level of skill will have to be displayed... I don't have a clear grasp as to how skilled you are. But I am certain your skills are above average. I wanted to advise you to be cautious during this exam."

"I would like to think this may just be friendly advice from a senpai. But there's something more to it?"

"Nagumo has shown great interest in you."

I let out a sigh hearing that name again. "Yeah, yeah. The stupid Vice President."

"I called you to warn you. Nagumo is not someone to be trifled with. In his year alone, 17 people have been expelled. It is rumored Nagumo was involved in over half of them."

"I have done my best to constrain him as the President. But next year: Nagumo will take authority, and the school can change for the worse. So I advise you to restrain yourself this coming exam, to not attract further attention from him."

"Thank you, senpai, for the advice. I'll do my best and take your words into consideration."

I finished the call right there.

There didn't seem to be any further discussion. Horikita-senpai only contacted me to make me aware of Nagumo's potential danger to myself and others.

But being involved in over half of the 17 expulsions? Does this guy even have a heart? To expel so many people and ruin their lives by your second year seems too cruel.

But after further reflection, that only reminded me of the discussion I had with my classmates earlier today.

I didn't care for many of my classmates. There was a small handful who I saw as; useful for me. But other than them, no one there really interests me.

They had no ability. No skill, nothing. Nothing of value.

There were very few who had any potential.

I only said those words to build a superficial level of trust and companionship with them.

If they were expelled tomorrow, I truly wouldn't care much.

I came to this school for a challenge and to learn what I did not in the past.

There may be a part deep inside of me that longs for that companionship with others, but that may only be a childish wish.

Maybe Nagumo and I were similar in a way.

No; never mind, I'd hate to be like him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79.3K 3.8K 41
[ 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐈𝐈 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 '𝐀𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐋𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐌𝐞' ] ‼ 𝐏𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝 '𝐀𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐋𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐌𝐞 (𝐂𝐨𝐓𝐄 𝐱 𝐎𝐂)...
427K 12.9K 87
Ayanokouji manages to escape from the white room through the help of his butler and government officials who are currently investigating the existenc...
112K 2.9K 30
Ayanokouji Kiyotaka is a mysterious individual. Despite being at the Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing High School where you can get any job you...
25.5K 668 6
𝙎𝙝𝙤𝙧𝙩 𝙨𝙩𝙤𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙨 𝙖𝙗𝙤𝙪𝙩 𝘼𝙮𝙖𝙣𝙤𝙠𝙤𝙪𝙟𝙞 𝙆𝙞𝙮𝙤𝙩𝙖𝙠𝙖 × 𝙆𝙖𝙧𝙪𝙞𝙯𝙖𝙬𝙖 𝙆𝙚𝙞. 𝑨𝑼 𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒔 | 𝑪𝒍𝒂𝒔𝒔𝒓𝒐𝒐𝒎 𝑶𝒇...