Predator Code (Tales from Wil...

By words_are_weapons

Season 1 of Tales from Wildhearth In a world beyond imagining lies danger that's all too real. For centurie... More

Season List for Tales from Wildhearth
Chapter 01 - No-one Likes a Party Crasher
Chapter 02 - Risk Assessment
Chapter 04 - In the Sight of Golden Eyes
Chapter 05 - It's Only Murder if Someone Knows
Chapter 06 - A Fear of Heights, Water & Dying
Chapter 07 - When the Sky Falls In
Chapter 08 - Trust is a Luxury Item
Chapter 09 - Remember the Day You Created a Monster
Chapter 10 - Traps Don't Scare Me
Chapter 11 - Home Is Where They Ripped My Heart Out
Chapter 12 - Time to Take on the Whole Wide World
Chapter 13 - I Got a Nose for Trouble
Chapter 14 - Who Did You Pay to Get Where You Are?
Chapter 15 - Rosewine Lies
Chapter 16 - You're Easier to Track When You're Dead
Chapter 17 - Somebody Lied to You
Chapter 18 - Your Word Against Everything and Everyone
Chapter 19 - Isn't Anybody Pleased to See Me Anymore?
Chapter 20 - It Isn't Paranoia if Someone's Out to Get You
Chapter 21 - Glad to Have Ruined Your Day
Chapter 22 - It'll Take More Than Another Bad Day
Chapter 23 - Not My People Anymore
Chapter 24 - Places Nobody Should Go
Chapter 25 - Two's Crazy Company
Chapter 26 - Getting in is the Easy Part
Chapter 27 - Empty Halls and Sabotage
Chapter 28 - Where Dirty Secrets Go to Die
Chapter 29 - I Think it's Built for Two
Chapter 30 - New Business Acquaintances
Chapter 31 - Euphemisms Get People Killed
Chapter 32 - Careful What You Steal For
Chapter 33 - Chemical Deterrent
Chapter 34 - Ring the Bell for Belforra
Chapter 35 - First Class Ticket Holders Only
Chapter 36 - Animals All Over Again
Chapter 37 - Tomorrow's Victims
Chapter 38 - Good Little Lab Rats
Chapter 39 - Wolfbait
Chapter 40 - Predator Code
Chapter 41 - Negative Test Results
Chapter 42 - Martyrs Don't Live Happy Lives
Chapter 43 - Ovens and Freezers
Chapter 44 - Kill Me If You Can
Chapter 45 - Nature Always Wins
Chapter 46 - Smoke From the Fire
Chapter 47 - Politics Makes My Head Hurt
Epilogue - Of Sickness and Cures

Chapter 03 - The Wolves Are Watching

719 28 4
By words_are_weapons

Jett woke up with a groan. Pain twanged in the back of her neck and she blinked, levering herself into a sitting position and looking at the main monitor again. Lines of code continued to spill down the black screen as newly installed processing shunts added more power to her rig, almost doubling the speed at which it could test the code combinations for each layer of firewalling. Isolation programs quarantined self-destructive viruses designed to wipe the data in the event of a breach.

Even so, the thing had been computing all night and only drilled halfway through the layers of security. Whatever was inside the block-drive, someone had gone to great lengths to keep it concealed. Jett couldn't help but wonder about where it had come from, but she knew that asking such questions would also be asking for trouble. Curiosity didn't get her paid and in more than one case it had ensured she wasn't.

Yawning, she rose from the chair and slouched through to the front desk again. A crack of dim light spilled under the doorway – she'd been here all night. Scratching her muzzle idly, Jett flicked the switch of the portable dispenser on the desk, setting it to grind out a hot cup of muskbrew. An expensive piece of machinery, but one that had more than paid for itself.

As the dispenser gurgled away she checked the time on the solarclock to find it was barely past dawnone.

"Fangs," she muttered, rubbing her eyes. Left to its own devices the computer needed another day to dig its way through into the block-drive, and it would hog most of her processing power in the process. That would set most of her other jobs back, giving her another unwanted backlog, which meant more long days grinding in the workshop.

Two hundred thousand, she reminded herself. Two hundred thousand barkstamps. We can wait for that kind of money.

Scooping up the muskbrew, Jett took a gulp of the steaming dark liquid, the herbal concoction blowing away the fug of sleep. Smacking her lips in satisfaction she stepped into the main workspace, casting a baleful eye over the block drive. It perched on a small table in front of the main rig, wires spilling from all sides. She regarded it coldly.

"Tough little skuff, aren't you?" she murmured, taking another sip and examining her options. There was probably enough secondary processing power in the rig for her to work through some less arduous jobs on her to-do list.

She dismissed that thought as it came to her. Although the computer could be left to its computations regarding the block-drive, she sheer weight of money involved made her reluctant to leave the thing alone. The wolfkin were out there somewhere too, she was sure of it. Looking for this thing.

Hinges rasped.

Her head snapped up as the door of her workshop swung open without a knock. A spike of paranoia gripped her for an instant, but when she saw who came through, her shoulders relaxed. A looming figure crossed the threshold, his mass filling the space of the reception area like some kind of ancient statue.

Jett leaned back in her chair, slinging her footpaws up onto the table in front of her, looking the watchguard up and down. Unlike her own kind, the vulkin displayed a lot of variety in their size and shape, their genetic heritage a diverse hodge-podge.

The guard currently standing in her workshop was a particularly large specimen, almost having to stoop to avoid bumping his enormous head on the ceiling. His fur was largely black, shot through with patches of warm brown. His face bore a sharp snout and a powerful set of jaws, his slab-like torso barely contained within his watchguard body armour. Two ears jutted up through his short trimmed headfur like spear points

"Morning, Bronco," she declared, giving him a lazy salute. "Slow a day for you already?"

"Oh, you know how it is," he rumbled good-naturedly, though she could see his eyes flashing around the workshop, taking in every detail. "Gotta check in on everyone's favourite tech. What I'm told, people round here can't switch on a lightbulb without you."

"Flatterer."

He snorted, inclining his head towards the humming rig in the back of the shop. "Looks like you've got some new gear."

"I don't exactly have a government contract for upgrades out here," she retorted. "Kin out here have their own problems, same as the Silkies, so someone's gotta provide the service."

"So you've told me." Bronco gave her a mischievous look. "I trust you got a paper trail for all this?"

Jett gave him a withering look. "You really wanna see my books, Bronco?"

"Somebody's got to keep you honest."

"I am honest."

"And I could run for High Alpha."

"I'd almost pay to see that," she laughed. "Look, everything in here is bought and paid for with barkstamps I earned. I'm no thief, you know that."

After an uncomfortably long moment, he nodded, apparently satisfied. Then his nose twitched and he sniffed. "That muskbrew?"

"Sure is. You fancy a cup?"

"Thanks, but no."

"So then, to what do I owe the pleasure of your company? Not that I don't love these house calls."

"I thought you should know, there are enforcers in the district," he said.

She stiffened in surprise, swinging her legs down off the table and trying to decide how to play this. She forced herself not to even glance at the block drive behind her. Saying the wrong thing to put Bronco on the trail might lead the wolfkin right to her. In the end, Jett feigned disbelief, sitting up straight and fixing him with a quizzical look.

"Enforcers? What in the Fire are they doing out here?"

"Oh-oh, that's way above my pay grade for sure." Bronco's muzzle twitched with irritation. "Showed up at a couple of the lawhouses a few days back and started digging through the watchguard files. I don't know what they're doing, but the wolves don't go anywhere without a good reason."

Jett placed her mug down in front of her, lacing her claws together. "Not that I don't appreciate the heads-up, but why are you telling me?"

"Look, I can't be sure of anything," he said, his voice taking on an almost caring edge, "but you know what those shady mongrels are like. It might be a good idea for you to get all your sheets in order in case one of 'em comes knocking."

She smiled impishly. "Bronco, you're not worried about me are you?"

"Why not?" He shrugged. "Maybe one of these days you'll overstep and it'll be me that comes banging your door down, but I ain't blind. You got yourself a cosy little set up here and a commodity everybody wants. Take a braver hound than me to go tearing that away on a whim. These wolfkin though-,"

"I know." She nodded, her expression softening. "Thanks for the heads up, but don't worry about me, okay? If they come calling I've got my bases covered." Jett winked. "There's a reason you've never had a good reason to shut this place down."

"I guess that's true," he chuckled. "Just, try not colour too far outside the lines for the next little while, alright?"

"On my honour."

"Oh, that makes me feel all better." Huffing derisively, Bronco turned away. "Be seeing you."

"Can't wait."

Jett shook her head with a smile as he ducked out of the door, back into the light and noise of Wildhearth's morning rush, struck as always by how small his tail was in comparison the rest of his imposing bulk.

Their little dance had been going on for a couple of years now. She knew Bronco well enough to be confident he had no real interest in trying to arrest her if he didn't have to, but he also wasn't stupid; a bit unimaginative and by the book, but never stupid. These little visits were his way of reminding her that if she ever went too far, he'd be there to bring the consequences.

Her eyes flicked to the block-drive at that thought. With Bronco in one of his twitchy moods and wolfkin enforcers prowling the district, it was time to get this thing out of her shop as fast as she could.

Jett stood up from the desk and stepped over to the howlwire set built into the wall. A box about a foot square, it was hardwired into the city's network at no small expense for a private operator like her. Opening the box up she pulled the receiver out, uncoiling the thick wire and raising it to the side of her head. With her free claw she gripped the power handle that wound the portable battery to power the mechanism.

Cranking up the howlwire, she tapped in her den's connect code with a heavy heart and braced herself for another long, hard day at the office.

"Hello?" Tyr's voice answered her, crackly and distant through the howl-net.

"Tyr, it's me."

"Jett! You coming home soon?"

"I can't – I'm sorry, picked up a last minute job at the end of play yesterday. Client's paying big but I need to get this done pronto."

"How big's big?" he asked, an edge of suspicion in his voice.

"Two hundred thousand."

"Peace and Fire! Seriously?!"

"Already gave me fifty up front. Guy's for real, Tyr."

"And you're doing... what for him exactly?"

She leaned against the wall, eyes resting on the block-drive. "Needs some files cracked. Seems very important to him. The level of encryption on them is insane, but nothing I can't handle."

"That's an awful lotta money, Jett. You sure you should be getting mixed up with something like that?"

"I know how it looks, believe me I know," she told him patiently, knowing this part of the conversation had been inevitable. "I'm going to bust this thing open, and then collect the biggest payday I've ever had. Two hundred thousand, Tyr. You know what we could do with that money?"

"We could do a lot," he agreed, though he still sounded uneasy. "But you know that kinda price tag is going to be a hell of a risk. Make sure you scrub your tracks good when you're done with this."

"Don't have to tell me twice," Jett said, nodding to herself. "One more day, Tyr. I'm gonna get this thing out of my workshop, rake in some cash, then you and I are taking a long, long vacation. Sound good?"

"Sounds like a dream."

"Well I'm about to make it real."

"You're amazing, you know that?"

She grinned. "You're just saying that 'cos I buy you pretty things."

"It helps," he laughed. "Okay, Jett. It's your business, I'm not gonna tell you how to run it. Just be careful, right? And if there are any problems, you let me know."

"Count on it." Jett felt a swell in her breast at his words. Dependable Tyr – a rock of a creature. She knew full well if there were any fall out from this job he'd be right by her side, swinging for anyone who tried to hurt her. "I'll call you when I'm finished. Love you."

"Love you, too."

Then the connection was cut and she locked the receiver back in place, closing the howlwire box. Taking a deep breath, she swept up her muskbrew and made for the workstation. It was time to make good on her daydreams.

*

With night starting to fall, she finally did it.

Ripping the master code from the firewall system gutted the block-drive's defences, leaving her brute algorithms to do the rest. The process struck her as a little anti-climactic, but it didn't stop a howl of triumph ripping from her jaws and echoing around the workshop. Leaping from her chair she pumped clenched paws skyward for a moment before looking properly at the screen. A huge number of unprotected files now spilled out before her.

"No, no, no," she chided herself. "Job done. No peeking."

By the Fire it was tempting, but she knew better. The wrong knowledge could easily paint a target on your back. Before her curiosity could get the better of her, she bounded over to the howlwire. Picking up the receiver, she keyed in the code the felkin had left her. The speaker in her ear only buzzed for a couple of seconds before he picked up.

"Yes?!" he blurted. "Is it done?"
"Indeed it is," she told him, smirking at the excitement that exuded from the felkin's voice. "As promised, I didn't open the files. They're waiting for you. All the block-drive security failsafes have been removed. Anyone can hook into it now."

"Good, that's ... good work. I would like to meet as soon as possible."

"Works for me friend. Sooner I can get this thing out of my paws the happier I'll be."

"A wise attitude."

"I'm so glad you approve," she scoffed. "Where and when?"

"Stay where you are. It is best that we are not observed. I have to make some arrangements then I will contact you with a location."

Jett's hackles prickled. "And how long is that going to take? I don't know what you're into, friend, but it's not my problem. When do I get paid?"

"It will not be long, I assure you. Make sure no-one knows you have the drive and go about your business."

Then the line went dead. Her gaze flickered to the block-drive.

"You'd better be worth it," she murmured, a tide of unease sweeping over her.

Then a whole day passed. Jett heard nothing from the felkin and her enthusiasm for this task quickly took a downward turn. No longer an opportunity, the block-drive now felt more like a bullseye between her shoulder blades.

Where are you?

She paced restlessly in the confines of the workshop, trying and failing not to work herself into a frenzy. If the felkin disappeared into night she would be left holding a veritable time bomb.

"Peace and Fire," she cursed.

With a snort of annoyance she shot over to the howlwire set, paw poised over the receiver. Her jaw clenched. Part of her mind told her to wait; to stop the panic and just wait for the buyer to contact her. The other, cynical side of her said that the silk-furred idiot had bitten off more than he could chew, tangling her up in the mess while he was at it. If that had happened, sitting around here wasn't an option.

Exhaling a sharp breath through clenched teeth, she unhooked the receiver and opened up the howlwire set's outer casing, examining the tangle of mechanisms with a critical eye. Bunches of wiring obscured the thing's rudimentary brain. The dumb processor would hold what she needed.

Fishing a small, rectangular snooper module from her desk, Jett peeled aside the wires and hooked the tech up with a pair of small clamps. She removed the receiver from its cradle, letting it dangle down by its wire. The howlwire's processor hummed, primed to make a call.

Tongue moving behind her teeth in concentration, Jett tapped in a command sequence on the snooper's diminutive keyboard. The module sprung to life, the tracking code held within it surging into the labyrinthine web of the howl-net, hunting down the last activation points that Jett's set had linked to.

It took a few for the mod to finish compiling everything from the past forty-eight hours. Unplugging it and closing over the howlwire casing again, Jett scampered across the room and hooked it up to her main rig. She opened the directory; latitudes and longitudes spilled down the screen. Brow furrowing, she brought up a map of Wildhearth on another monitor and began working her way down the list.

Most originated from residences with the Palharr District, with a few scattered deeper into the city. She noted wryly that none of her prospective clients originated from the Silk – the city's hedonistic heart, beating with power, dripping with wealth and stinking of politics. That was a circle a lowly foxkin tech-breaker did not set foot in.

At a glance there wasn't anything glaringly obvious, but on closer inspection she noticed that one of the calls didn't come from an actual residence. It came from a warrenary – one of the nicer ones too – near the north edge of Palharr, a place whose rooms required a pretty pawful of stamps to rent. She clicked her tongue in disapproval.

The block-drive obviously contained something dangerous, and if the felkin had any sense he would have hidden away in the deepest darkest corner of the district. But no, he was from the Silk, and clearly an amateur in the arts of subterfuge. He still wanted some measure of comfort.

Jett stared at the screen for a long moment as she weighed up her options. Peace, she just wanted to get her money, and to get this thing out of her life. She could no longer suppress the growing certainty that something bad had befallen the felkin. Something with black armour and fangs.

"Bloody Fire," she swore, standing up, stepping over to the howlwire and punching in a code. The line fizzed for a moment.

"Hello?"

Her muscles relaxed at the sound of Tyr's voice. "It's me."

"Jett, everything alright? Your parents were about to send me round to drag you out of that cave!"

"I don't know yet." She winced.

A second of silence crackled in her ear. "What's that mean?"

"I cracked the block-drive, and called the felkin. He was supposed to be in touch to arrange a meet but it's been over a day and I haven't heard from him."

"That doesn't sound good."

"No, it doesn't."

"I don't like this. You'd be better tossing that heap into the canals."

"C'mon, Tyr," she snapped. "I can't do that! I want... more for us that scraping by."

"I understand that, but this is dangerous! You know that thing is what the enforcers are probably looking for right?"

"Yeah, I know, Tyr." She sighed. "I didn't call to argue about this. I did a trace on the howlwire – I think I know where he's staying in Palharr."

"Wait a second." She could feel the frown splitting his features. "So you want to head out there?"

"I want to know why he hasn't been in contact." Jett shrugged. "If something has happened to him, I'd rather find out on my own terms than have that bad news come crashing through my front door."

"Okay... I can understand that. So where is he?"

"Warrenary, out on the north walks."

"Oh, very swish."

She smirked. "He's a silkie, Tyr, used to the finer things."

"Came to the wrong district then didn't he," Tyr chuckled in response. "When are you heading out there?"

"I'm going tonight."

"Right, stay there for half an hour."

She blinked. "What? Why?"

"Because I'm coming with you. I'll see you soon."

And the line went dead before she could argue.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.5K 2K 44
It's a deadly plan, and it goes like this: First, become a crew member of the Avourienne, a pirate ship notorious for its charismatic captain and wic...
4.6K 275 28
[2023 Wattys Shortlist, 2023 Amby Awards winner, Featured 4 times in Wattpad Picks lists] Kaleth has worked as an agent of Luxarx for years. What th...
230K 5.9K 59
Their's all sorts of names for them; deserters, runaways, mutts...but in this world we call them Rogues. Celia ran away from her problems a long ti...
292 51 22
ELRED VALKALIN IS ON THE RUN. After narrowly escaping the Synketros prison, she finds herself in the scent trail of two notorious communities miles b...