Hourglass [Quintessential Qui...

By Kiriyarin_

Each of them has their own stories, their own choices. A lot of new characters, new choices and new events, t... More

Chapter 1 - White Memory
Chapter 2 - The Beyond
Chapter 3 - Trouble Divided Into Five
Chapter 4 - Butterfly Effect
Chapter 5 - Stars Collide
Chapter 6 - Reflection
Chapter 7 - Encounter
Chapter 8 - All Sides
Chapter 9 - Trickster (Ⅰ)
Chapter 10 - Trickster (Ⅱ)
Chapter 11 - Preliminary
Valentine Special - Foudre
Chapter 13 - Crisis Management
Chapter 14 - Siren's Song
Chapter 15 - Promise
Chapter 16 - Echoes of Betrayal
Chapter 17 - Confession and the Charming Maid (Ⅰ)
Chapter 18 - Emotions and the Forgiven Maid (Ⅱ)
Chapter 19 - Trouble in Paradise (Ⅲ)
Chapter 20 - Cast Away (Ⅳ)
Interlude Chapter - Friends All Over the World
Chapter 21 - Queen of Hearts (Ⅴ)
Chapter 22 - New Beginnings ( Ⅵ )
Chapter 23 - Someday in the Rain
Chapter 24 - Make a Spell
Chapter 25 - Darkness Falls, a Star Is Born
Chapter 26 - Calamity Fortune
Chapter 27 - Tales of Snow
Chapter 28 - The Melancholy of Nakano Nino
Chapter 29 - Lost & Found
Chapter 30 - Break a Spell (Ⅰ)
Chapter 31 - Break a Spell (ⅠⅠ)
Chapter 32 - Connection
Chapter 33 - Operation: True Love
Chapter 34 - A Few Mistakes Ago
Chapter 35 - Dandelions
Chapter 36 - Heartstrings
Chapter 37 - Through Rose-Colored Glasses
[Part 1 Finale] Chapter 38 - For Whom the Bells Toll
Chapter 39 - Begin the Offensive
Chapter 40 - Roll Like We Used To
Interlude Chapter - Whims of Fate (I)
Chapter 41 - The ABC's of Live
Chapter 42 - Trouble Multiplied By Five
Chapter 43 - Calliope (I)
To You, The Worthless Excuse
To You, The Absolutely Worthless Excuse
To You, Who Awaits The Snowmelt

Chapter 12 - Ignite

445 10 0
By Kiriyarin_

Third Person POV:

Try looking at the roof.

Ichika was walking confidently towards the roof. Since the roof is one of the places where students are not allowed to go, the surroundings were completely empty. Even the sound of the chaos below was barely reaching this floor. People had already started making their plans for the next events, even though they have more than a month.

Ichika reached the rooftop door with all the thoughts in her mind. The door that should have been locked was left ajar, but there was no damage to the lock. It shouldn't be hard to figure out who did it.

''Kazuma-kun, you there?''

No voice answered. Ichika pushed the unlocked door and entered the roof. The winds of late summer were starting to blow. Autumn was almost here.

''Wind feels so good...''

She took a few steps forward to admire the view. The scenery was truly mesmerizing. The beautiful and colorful leaves of summer were giving themselves to the wind, slowly turning into every shade of yellow. Even though it wasn't as big as their old school, Ichika and her sisters had managed to adapt to this school somehow. With the help of her friends, of course. A small smile crept onto Ichika's face when she finally realized her efforts hadn't been in vain for her family.

However, she didn't forget why she came here, enjoying the view does not mean forgetting her purpose.

''Kazuma-kun, aren't you here?''

"You can keep it down; no need to shout." came the reply.

When the cold but pleasant tone of the target person's voice reached Ichika's ears, she turned around with a smile. ''I knew you would be here.''

''No, you didn't know. Either Asuka or Fuutarou must have told you.''

''Rude as ever, hmpf. Why didn't you answer when I first called you?''

''I thought you were a teacher. The last thing I need right now is dealing with them.''

The usual dead eyes, cold attitude and dark clothes. If you saw him, you'd think he was a character straight out of a crime novel. But no matter how bad someone looked, he was the one who had come to Ichika's help in her worst state.

"Now it's clear why I can't see you anywhere...''

Kazuma stare at Ichika before placing a cigarette in his mouth. He didn't appear very inclined to engage in conversation. ''I want to stay away from the mess down.''

Ichika grabbed the cigarette from Kazuma's mouth and promptly tossed it into the nearby trash can on the roof. ''Nuh-uh! Not within the school boundaries.''

''Hey!'' The boy was looking at her with an expression between anger and surprise. But the flash of emotion on his face was short-lived, and he turn back to his usual poker face. ''What's the big idea Nakano?''

''It's Ichika. We're all Nakano and if you are caught on the roof with a cigarette within the school boundaries, you'll definitely be expelled from school. Onee-san just helping out, hehe.''

''Whatever— You said you were looking for me. So, speak.''

''Ah...Right,right, right, that topic.''

Ichika was cradling his jacket in her arms. The jacket she borrowed from him during the festival a while ago. Kazuma gave it to Ichika when it was raining, but after all the fuss, it was too dirty to be used. She had offered to clean it for him, so she'd had it for a while.

''My jacket...''

''I told you I'd wash it and bring it back, didn't I? It took a little long, but I managed to get all the dirt off.

Kazuma took the jacket from Ichika's hand without saying a word and draped it over his shoulder. It was clear he didn't want to have a long conversation. With the jacket now in his possession, he turned around and headed back to where he was standing before.

''HMPF!!!'' Ichika pouted, her irritation quite obvious.

She chose to follow him instead of leaving the roof; she had gone to all this trouble to clean that jacket, and she didn't even get a thank you. On the other hand, The boy seem heavily disturbed.

''What now? You came to bring my jacket back, didn't you? Now, buzz off.''

''Absolutely not, I'll definitely not leave until I get a proper thank you.''

''...''

Kazuma's temper seems to be getting worse and worse, although it may not be obvious. It's a known fact that Ichika is good at teasing people.

The roof of the school was a fairly large area, which made it unlikely for anyone to spot them from afar. This gave Ichika the freedom to move around as she pleased without being easily seen. If someone didn't rat them out, no one would know they were here.

''UWAAA!!— Hah hah hah...!''

Kazuma's sudden movement was swift and forceful, catching Ichika off guard as she found herself pinned against the cold, unforgiving surface of the roof-wall. His sharp eyes bore into her, piercing like the edge of a blade ready to strike. Although Ichika wasn't physically hurt, the sudden action left her feeling frightened.

''Leave me alone. I don't want to deal with anyone right now.''

Yet, Ichika just smiled even though she's in an incredibly dangerous situation right now. This child with no obvious boundaries could have done her serious harm right now.

''Not without a thank you.''

''The fuck is your problem...''

Ichika frown this time. ''My problem is that I've spent hours cleaning that stupid jacket, and I can't get anything in return Kazuma-kun. I know that's not your style, but you need to learn how to thank people.''

''None of your business.''

"Maybe, but first— Could you please let me go? Or are you going to try doing kinky things to my body~" Ichika's words dripped with sarcasm, her attempt at lightening the tense atmosphere falling flat.

''...''

Kazuma released his grip on Ichika's neck, exhaling a profound sigh. His awareness of his inherent shortcomings as a person were no secrets. Despite the discernment of Asuka and Fuutarou regarding his character, they persisted in their, support and care for him.

''If you don't want to thank me now, that's fine, I can get my thanks later. After all, I now know your secret place." As Ichika made her way towards the door to leave the roof, she stopped right before the threshold. ''Heh— Kazuma-kun. Let's exchange our phone numbers.''

.

.

.

— [ 𝐀 𝐅𝐞𝐰 𝐖𝐞𝐞𝐤𝐬 𝐋𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫 ] —

Asuka's POV:

"These football practices are gonna be the death of me. Exams are just a week away, and I still dribble like a total moron... Ouch."

It's been two week since football training started, and all my bones are hurting. I need to renew my gym membership or I'm going to get seriously injured. Anyway, I have to go find Fuutarou now. We have to go to the quints today.

''You can't fail the exams!''

I heard Fuutarou's voice somewhere nearby. Apparently Itsuki was also there and they were having a big argument as far as I can hear. Should I intervene?

''Aren't you the one being selfish right now?''

''You want to raise your marks too right?, then JUST SHUT UP AND DO WHAT I SAY!''

...Idiot.

''No, I didn't mean-''

''I had gotten a better opinion of you recently but it seems I was mistaken. At the end of the day, you're just doing it for the money.''

''What's wrong with working with money?''

...Dude

''You can spout stuff like that because you can afford to live luxuriously, if it's not for work who'd want to look after a spoiled brat like you?!''

Itsuki opened her mouth as if she had a name in mind, but immediately stopped saying what she was going to say. How did they even start this discussion?

''There's no need for you to force yourself to teach me. I'm not your money making tool.''

''Is that so? I hope you don't regret it.''

''Yes, Even if I'm expelled...''

''I WOULD NEVER LEARN FROM YOU.''

''I WOULD NEVER TEACH YOU.''

ARE YOU A FUCKING IDIOT?

''Okay, stop you two.''

When Itsuki noticed me, her expression twisted oddly. I could tell she was still fuming at Fuutarou. She ran away without saying anything, without looking back.

''Asuka!? Were you listening?...''

''Enough to understand that both of you were arguing for no reason.''

''But she was the one who started all this.''

''What the fuck? Are you, like, five years old or something?''

''She accused me of working for them just for money, which makes her accuse you in the same way.''

''If you talk to her like that, the hell she'll think so. You and I both know that you didn't do this job for money. I mean, you're making special and personalized notes for them, and there's the festival...''

Fuutarou became silent for a moment. I probably said the right words, but that doesn't mean that I think Itsuki was right.

''You are wrong because you are an idiot, and Itsuki is wrong because he believes that she can pass without our help.''

"What are we going to do now, Asuka?"

''You don't do shit. I'll talk to Itsuki myself. My trust in you with girls is equal to your father coming home not drunk."

''Ouch...''

[ Later in the same day ...]

Together with Fuutarou, I went to the Nakano residence once again. Because my dear friend screwed up literally everything, I have to clean his mess, yet again and again. Luckily, I thought to buy some cookies and donuts from the bakery on the way. It's not much, but maybe it'll at least help us to forgive ourselves.

I don't like these elevators at all, it's like they're carrying me to my death. It must be great to live so high up...

So Fuutarou and I knocked on the quints' door once again.

''Ah, Asuka-kun, Fuutarou-kun, welcome!''

''Yo Ichika.''

Ichika, Miku and Yotsuba were playing some kind of box game inside when we arrived. Huh, Game of Life... I haven't seen this game in a long time. They offered us to join the game, but right now my priority is very different.

''Asuka...'' Fuutarou mumble.

''I'll take care of it... somehow...''

The girls returned to their game, and I needed to keep my composure to prevent things from spiraling out of control. If they found out about their fight, it'll only make everything worse.

I placed the cupcakes I brought from the bakery on the table and sighed. ''Ah, I need to talk to Itsuki, do you know where she is girls?''

''Hai! Itsuki should be in her room right now.'' Yotsuba replied.

I went up the stairs and looked at the five doors opposite me. Numbers from one to five written on each of the doors. I guess you'd have to be an idiot or something not to understand what this is. Itsuki must be staying in room number five, because she is the youngest of the quintuplets.

And I knocked the door.

''Come in.'' A voice devoid of emotion.

Right now, I'm trying to prepare myself for what will happen when I turn the doorknob. I don't know what's going on between Itsuki and me but it hurts me to see her like this.

I pinched my cheek in embarrassment as memories of a few weeks ago flashed through my mind. Something like that really happened, right... It wasn't a dream. But it also feels a bit nostalgic. This conversation had happened before, when Fuutarou and Itsuki first met. A deja vu.

I saw Itsuki studying at the desk as usual when I opened the door. She wasn't crying like last time, but I don't think this situation is much different from the first time.

''What?...'' She seemed surprised to see me, probably thinking I was one of her sisters.

''Yo...''

''What are you doing here?''

''I just came to see how you were doing. You know...After everything...''

''Don't even bother, I don't want to talk.''

''Sorry, I don't know any other answer then yes.''

''Ugh...'' Itsuki took off her glasses with a groan and put them on the table. I don't think she really hates me. She spreads her anger everywhere because she doesn't know what to direct her anger at, probably.

''Hehe~ Hahaha...''

"Wait, w-why are you laughing!?"

''It's just... didn't we have this same conversation a while ago? When we first met.''

''I don't care! I don't want this tutoring thing anymore. You're all doing this for money, after all...'' Itsuki directed her anger at me. I need to get serious now, too.

I can't lie now, money is a solid reason why the fuck I am here rather then my games, but—

''Do you think you can pass the exams without us?''

''YOU WHAT-?!''

''This isn't a snub, it's a direct question. Do you believe in yourself or not? If you don't think you need our help, I'll respect you on that. However, the Itsuki I know has realized the significance of this by now.''

''I was doing just fine before you came, and you ruined my whole focus.''

''Heh, I'm sorry about that, but I need to make sure you don't hate us.''

Especially from me.

''I don't hate you (No matter how many times I tried...) just...''

''Look, I know how rude Fuutarou can be. Besides the problem of talking to girls, he also has asociality.''

''No shit Sherlock.''

After taking a deep sigh, I sat down on Itsuki's bed. There are things we need to talk about, I don't want to stay on foot for now. ''But I can assure you that he is doing his best for you all.''

''I don't believe you. He's irresponsible, he doesn't know how to talk to girls, doesn't understand human emotions, his only sexual interest is books.''

Holy shit... This girl is harsh—Well, not wrong tho, but;

''And what about the things he's done for you? When the notes he made went to waste, he started writing his own notes again in handwriting to each of you one by one.''

''But...''

''I'm not done yet! Did he do anything to you after that you poisoned and drugged him? He could have reported you to the police or worse.''

{ P.S: Fuutarou doesn't remember being drugged. }

''I...''

''I haven't even mentioned the festival yet. Knowing that it was a special day for you, he tried with all his power to gather you all together. Besides, I was the one who wanted us to split up that day...!''

''...''

''Even now, he's making plans to forgive himself to you. If you really still think he's such a bad person, then I have nothing left to say. Fuutarou is my best friend and proudly wears this title, as do I!''

...I've said everything I can say. It's harsh, but I don't have a choice. She fell silent. I got up from her bed and walked to the door.

''Stop.''

Itsuki called out to me from behind. Is she going to yell at me because I made her angry? Perhaps I'd been too harsh on her... I can see her clenching her fists, she's holding herself up.

''I need help.''

What?

''What?''

''I need help, OKAY! You asked me, right? Will I be able to pass the exams without you two?''

Itsuki showed me her desk. The desk was filled with tons of notes from different courses, written and marked with all kinds of colored pencils. She was trying to solve a copy of the tests Fuutarou had prepared in the earlier days. It's still pretty much the same as the first time I walked into her room.

"I told you in the library, didn't I? If you need help, you can come to me anytime. There's a limit to what you can do on your own."

The mention of the library made my cheeks blush again, shit...

Itsuki must also remembered that day, there is a noticeable redness on her cheeks. Cute. ''Promise me.''

''What?''

''Promise me. If everything you just said is true, promise me. When I need help, you'll be there for me...''

''Heh, just that? Promise. If you need any help with anything, you have my phone number, right?

Itsuki didn't utter a word, but gave a small nod of approval. I can see her cheeks flush with embarrassment, and I felt the same way. As I was about to leave, I took one last glance at Itsuki's room. Who knows when I'll have the chance to see her room again?

Wait...Is that?...

''Isn't this the panda I won from the crane game?...'' The plush lay on the edge of Itsuki's bed, just as clean as the first day. It was an interesting day... but one I'll never forget. I began to examine it after taking the panda in my hand. It smells of Mint and Lemon...Recently washed.

''Her name is Mochi...Yes, she is a female.'' Itsuki pouted a bit and talk.

''Ah, hehe... I understand.''

I gently kneel down infront of Itsuki and smiled to her. This is one of those times when I have to give people some trust. God didn't give me this face for nothing.

But, Itsuki hugged me before I could even speak.

''Dummy...''

''...''

I embraced her back tightly, once again enveloped in the familiar scent of her shampoo. My heart raced, and in that moment, I found myself yearning for someone to stop time, allowing us to linger in this hug for just a little longer.

"I need to head downstairs, feel free to join us whenever you're ready. Well, you don't have to, but..."

''I'll think about it hehe~'' Itsuki replied, winking at me as she broke the hug and let me go.

When I got close to the door, I turned back to Itsuki. There are still a few things left to say for me. ''Itsuki.''

''Yes?''

Before leaving the door, I turned to Itsuki and winked at her. Payback.''We still have a promise to each other for the festival, I'll be waiting. You should definitely come.'' 

I left Itsuki's room without seeing her reaction. I'm sure it's something funny. But there's a reason we came here. Judging by the noise downstairs, Nino has come back. Well, I guess this is her house too, it would be a real problem if she didn't come.

"Sorry Nino. Asuka and Fuutarou, they promised me they'd stay here overnight to teach us."

''What?! / What? / What! / Uhh...What?''

Each of them gave almost the same reaction, even Fuutarou. I should have had the same reaction, but I think I understood what Ichika was trying to do. I decided to keep up with Ichika's flow.

''Now I remember, that's how we agreed, right Ichika?'' I winked at her and she winked me back.

Miku looked strangely confused, but she didn't seem bothered. Nino, on the other hand, seemed completely disturbed, she could take the knife and attack Fuutarou again at any moment. As Yotsuba... She's being Yotsuba.

''All right, we have to start.'' Fuutarou said while he took out his papers from his backpack.

''How long will we study?''

''It's 7 o'clock now. We're going to study for 3 hours, then we can take a break, Miku.''

''Haa...But Fuutarou, isn't 3 hours too much?'' Miku asked as she settled down next to Yotsuba.

''No, I think this is perfect. This is the longest a person can spend without losing focus.''

''I don't know Fuutarou, isn't it bit hard?'' I asked while putting my backpack on a chair, preparing my stuffs as well. ''Don't go so hard.''

''The hell you can talk! If I leave you here with a computer, you don't get your ass out of that chair for at least three days!''

Touché. Son of a b—

We gathered at the table to study. Itsuki is still nowhere in sight, I guess she won't come this time. Eh, I really can't blame her. I told her to do whatever she likes.

And then, the three hour special hell began.

.

.

.

We are almost at the end of the first three hours. Honestly, I thought it would be difficult, but I was wrong. It seems that Fuutarou has prepared simple programs for the girls in a way that they can understand. To me, these things are like the tutorial part of a game that I usually skip. I prefer to experience it first-hand.

However, it must have just seemed that way to me because Nino and Ichika are almost dying, their faces have lost all color. Miku looks like she's praying for someone to save her while tightly holding onto her earphones. Oh, and...

Yotsuba is dead. RIP

"All right, last question, and then we'll take a break." Fuutarou said.

''Finally...'' Nino mumbled.

''Okay, can someone tell me ideal gas equation?''

''.../.../...''

Oh my god, the embarrassing silence. The man didn't even ask you a problem. He simply requested a formula; please respond to anyone!

''Yotsuba?''

''I...uhh..no...''

''Miku?''

''...''

''Nino?''

''Fuck yourself.''

''Ichika?''

''Uh...Something like PV = nRT or something?...''

Thank god, she got it right. Ichika's memorization ability is more than the others.

''That's right, In the equation, P represents the pressure and V represents the volume. If you multiply these two, you can find other variables. That's it for now. One-hour break.''

All the girls put their heads on the table with a relieved expression. I think it's like heaven for them to get rid of Fuutarou's torture for a short time. Then Yotsuba started talking in a cheerful tone.

''Oh, oh! I have an idea!'' Yotsuba revived somehow. Welcome back!

''What is it, Yotsuba-chan?''

''I found our old board games before you two came. Would you like to play a little Game of Life, Asuka-kun, Uesugi-san?''

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44K 584 24
Yuki was born in a rich family and has Quintuplet sisters but sadly he was thrown into a orphanage after they seen that he isn't a girl. Yuki had a r...
102K 3.2K 86
Y/N, upon death, is isekai'd into an anime. Thinking they would wake up with great powers, Y/N is stunned to realize that they were reborn as the mai...
10.5K 171 10
Y/n is a regular teenager who just wanted a normal life like everybody else. He never wanted something special to happens. But he don't decide that
179K 4K 39
One day you are asked by Fuutaro to help on a new job he just got to tutor, 5 girls? Damn that's a lot.. This is the story of love between you and t...