her disappearance

بواسطة _marawrites

ANOUSHKA SHETH was a lonely girl. Due to her nemesis, Isabella's disappearance and being blamed for her disap... المزيد

CHARACTERS
prologue
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
EPILOGUE #1
EPILOGUE #2

1

231 9 91
بواسطة _marawrites

ANOUSHKA

I tap my finger against my steering wheel, debating whether or not I want to visit my parents. Living in a boarding school was one of the only good things my parents did for me however coming home to visit them was the punishment.

It was a half an hour drive to get back to campus so I was only going to be allowed to visit for an hour or so. I was still dressed in my uniform. My white blouse was untucked, and my skirt rolled up to my upper thigh.

Gathering up my courage I open my car door and walk toward their house. Knocking twice on the door I stood back as I wait for an answer.

A few seconds later, the door opens. Where a typical mum would be smiling at their daughter for coming home to visit them, my mum's face dropped once she sees my attire.

"You should take more care of your appearance." she scolds as she walks closer towards me

I sigh and look down at my uniform. "What's wrong now?"

She tucks my blouse into my skirt. She pulls my hair into a low ponytail and rolls my skirt down so that it was reaching my shins. Yeah no.

"Modesty isn't my thing," I murmur.

"Your dad can't see you like that. You know what he'll say." she whispers.

Yep. My dad was a freak, who tried to control what I wore. Did it ever work? Nope. Truth be told, ever since Isabella sent those fake nudes to my parents, my relationship with my parents went downhill.

My dad stopped taking me out on drives every week. My mom stopped teaching me how to cook. The only reason why they haven't kicked me out is that I'm their daughter. It would be bad for their reputation to kick out their only daughter but it hasn't stopped my dad from threatening to do it. Although, sending me to a boarding school felt like the equivalent of being disowned. My dad was a well-known business owner. He went to events regularly and occasionally I would have to go along. It would be a huge scandal if he disowned his only daughter.

"When was the last time I cared what my dad thought about me?" I question.

She murmurs something under her breath before pulling back. Her warm hands cradle my face. "I wish you didn't disappoint us like that." her brown eyes water slightly.

My jaw tightens as guilt fills me.
No.
Don't feel guilty.

"I came here to visit you. Not for a lecture. Trust me I have many of those in school." I say, hoping my tone is as cold as ice. "Can I come in now?" I ask.

She nods her head as she walks inside and I follow after.

My dad was sitting at the dinner table with a newspaper in his hand. His eyes not once flickering to meet mine.

I sit opposite him and my mum sits beside him. Glancing at the breakfast on the table. I lean in and grab two pieces of toast and jam. I notice my mum's eyes on me and I raise a brow at her in questioning. She looks down at the two pieces of toast in my hand. "Do you really need two?" she asks.

I roll my eyes. "Yeah. I actually do." I respond, lathering the jam on top and biting into it, hoping that the crunch was loud just for the emphasis.

She shakes her head with disbelief. "So Anoushka. Boarding school treating you good?" she asks.

"Yes."

"Made any friends?"

"Sure." No.

I lost all my friends. I was the number one suspect in the case. Even some teachers said it's would be best if I kept my dorm to myself but who was I to argue with that?

"I have exams coming soon so I might need to head back." I tell her.

Huge lie.

"Oh okay." my mum says, her eyes filling with sorrow.

"Anoushka." my dad speaks for the first time, surprising both me and my mum. 

"Yes."

"We have a box of baklava for you to take to the neighbours."

My lips parts. "I can't."

I haven't been to their house since Isabella went missing. I don't even think any of them forgive me. I was a suspect in their daughter's disappearance. My dad was setting me up.

"Said who?" he finally drops the newspaper to look at me. More like glare at me.

"Said me."

He glares harder."Then go back to school. I don't want you here." he snarls.

"Gladly." I sweetly smile.

I turn to my mum, who was watching us with teary eyes. "It was nice seeing you mum."

Although she treated me shit, I didn't have the heart to be that rude to her. 

She follows me to the door. "Anoushka. Please for me. Take those sweets to our neighbour on your way out."

I let out an irritated sigh. "Okay fine. I will." 

She will not stop hassling me if I don't.

I grab the box of sweets and once I reach my car door. I place the box of treats on top of my car as I change my uniform back to what it was before. I roll my skirt back up, took my long, thick hair down from the ponytail. One thing I'm grateful for from my parents is their amazing Asian genetics. Thick, long hair. My hair was my pride and joy. I absolutely loved it.

I grab the box and strode towards my neighbour's house. Inhaling a sharp breath, I knock once...twice.

The door opens in less than a second. I expect to see Aspen or even Daniel, but I was surprised to see Creighton. Isabella's stepbrother. Creighton and I used to be good friends but when his younger siblings died we drifted. Isabella's disappearance was the icing on top.

"Isn't this a pleasant surprise?" he drawls out.

"I wish I could say the same." I reply, tilting my head to the side.

He chuckles. "Aren't you supposed to be at that boarding school?"

"Aren't you?" I retort.

Creighton also attended the same boarding school as me but he was in a separate area. Probably because he was a boy. The teachers pretty much did everything in their power to make sure no boy or girl lived close together. Probably in an attempt to avoid any unwanted pregnancies.

"Suspended for a week." he simply replies.

I heard about that. He got into a fight last week.

I eye his face for a second. He didn't have any noticeable bruises. "That's what happens when you get into a fight."

He touches his heart. "I'm honoured you notice what I do every now and then. Here's me thinking you forgot I even existed."

I roll my eyes.

"Oh I did forget you existed for a while. It's difficult to forget the person who fought my ex?"

He chuckles. "I'm glad I'm unforgettable in that way."

I never ever found out why they fought. "Why did you fight him?" I ask.

He shrugs. "Felt like it."

"You can't beat some up because you felt like it." I say, shooting him an unimpressed look.

He raises a brow. "And you care because..."

"I don't."

He grins. "My suspension finishes today. My car broke down and my parents can't drop me off. Can I tag along with you?" he asks, smirking mischievously. 

"No."

Who knows what he'll do? He could easily be lying and tricking me. He definitely could kidnap me just for revenge for Isabella.

"I wouldn't say that too fast. I always get what I want." he says.

I roll my eyes even if his words send a shiver down my spine. "I assume you have something for me." he says, reaching out for the box.

I grip the box harder. "Not for you. Where's your mum and dad?"

"Somewhere inside."  he murmurs.

"I'll drop this off and be on my way." I simply say.

He moves to the side, allowing me inside the house. I notice his mum and dad sitting around the dining table. His mum found me first, her mouth parts in shock. Probably because she hasn't seen me in months. "Anouhska." she smiles brightly. "How are you doing?"

I guess she isn't furious at me then. "Good." I tightly reply. She stands up and welcomes me in a hug. I hate hugs. It's too intimate for my own liking, feeling someone's arms wrapped around me in a tight embrace didn't seem relieving at all.

I politely tap her back. She eventually lets go.

I look over at Daniel. He didn't spare me a glance.

"I bought some treats for you guys." I say, dropping the box on the dining table.

She opens the box and closes her eyes as she smiles in satisfaction. "Baklava. My favourite."

At that time, Creighton walks in. "Baklava. You know me so well." he grins.

I ignore him. "It was nice seeing you Aspen." I smile.

"Stay for breakfast." she offers.

At that second, Daniel's fork clatters on his plate. "Or not." I hear Creighton mumble angrily.

I politely smile at Aspen. "I ate with my parents. Thank you for offering."

She smiles at me sympathetically and rubs my arm comforting me. "Thank you for the baklava Anouhska."

I smile. "It's okay."

Before I could leave, Creighton blocks my entrance and stares at his mum. "When could you take me back to school?" he asks.

I turn around to face his mum. Her eyes burn with guilt. "I'm sorry sweetheart. I can't."

She glances at Daniel. "I have work, darling." he tells her without looking up from his newspaper.

She looks back at us. Mainly me. "Anoushka. Please could he tag along with you? It would be really helpful." she says, her eyes full of hope.

Fuck. I nod my head tightly. Even if I didn't want to sit in a car with Creighton for the next half an hour. I couldn't bare the feeling of upsetting Aspen. She was more motherly to me than my own mum was. Saying no to her was impossible.

I turn around to face Creighton. "Come on then." I demand.

I say goodbye to Aspen and so does Crieghton.

"You are an asshole." I grumble on our way out.

"You've said worse." he shrugs.

"Could you not have just accepted the fact that I didn't want to take you with me?"

"No."

I roll my eyes and we approach my car. "Toyota carolla." he murmurs to himself as he looks at my car.

I shoot him a narrowed look. "Say anything bad about my car and you can walk to campus."

He chuckles. "Wouldn't expect you to drive such a decent car."

"Oh yeah? What do you drive?"

His eyes light up and a smile broadens on his lips as if he was waiting for me to ask him that. "Mercedes benz." he says proudly.

"Let me guess. Your dad paid for it."

He smiles harder. "No."

I unlock the car door and I sat inside, turning the key. The car buzzes to life. Creighton sits in the passenger seat, belting his seatbelt.

He looks around my car before narrowing his eyes on my steering wheel.

"Stickers. Really?" he asks, shooting a brow up.

I look down at the purple heart stickers on my steering wheel and I run my fingers against them. "What did I say if you commented on my car?"

The stickers were cute. I don't care what he thinks.

"Kick me out. Whatever." he dismisses. "Let's go."

I roll my eyes before driving off.

•••

What was meant to be half an hour was actually a whole fucking hour later because Creighton was criticising my driving the whole way here.

I park my car and Creighton turns me, his face pale. Was he about to pass out?

"I'm never sitting in a car with you." Creighton breathes out.

I smile. "I'm a good driver, what do you mean?" I ask, tapping my finger against the wheel.

"Good driver?" he repeats incredulously. "Was your driver examiner high when he passed you?"

I glare at him. "She wasn't high. Okay fine, I drove a bit above the speed limit but it isn't illegal."

He lets out a humourless laugh. "A bit? The speed limit was 20 and you were driving at 50." he shouts.

"So dramatic." I murmur. "You're alive, aren't you?" I ask, getting out of my car.

"Barely." he mutters, opening the door and jumping out. He slams the door behind him.

"Hey." I shout. "Don't slam my doors like that." I scold.

"You were about to kill me, I'll slam your doors if I want to slam your doors."

I glare at him harder. "I told you not to come with me."

He laughs. "Yeah trust me. I won't."

I storm off to the reception where I had to sign in. Fuck Creighton. How ungrateful.

I hear footsteps follow behind me, and before I could open the door to the reception. He pulls me by my wrist. "Now that I'm feeling less nauseous. I guess I can thank you." he says.

I pull my hand out of his grasp before folding them against my chest. "Go on."

His eyes narrow at me. "Thank you."

"For?" I taunt.

"Taking me to campus." he says, clenching his jaw.

"If you add a little 'Anoushka is the best person in the world.' I'll accept your gratitude."

"How about no?"

I roll my eyes. "Fine. I guess you're welcome."

He grins and opens the door for me. "Go on."

I walk inside the reception and signed in as did Creighton.

"We have dinner with our parents next week. Heads up," he says as we walk to our dorms.

I let out an aggravated breath. "Why?"

He shrugs. "Not too sure. Your parents probably didn't want to tell you until you next came to visit."

"Probably." I murmur.

We eventually had to depart because his dorm was on the opposite side of mine.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

3.2K 210 24
Highest Rankings: #12 in Teenmother (11th May 2018) #60 in Teen Fiction #59 in Chicklit😘(23rd July 2018) Meeting you was fate, becoming your frien...
3K 998 31
[ A COMPLETED 2020 TEEN MYSTERY ] Life can take a turn for the worst when you least expect it, spiralling deeply out of control in mere days. It's h...
790K 45K 39
#1 Mystery | #1 Thriller | #1 Young Adult Have you ever known someone more than you know yourself? Known them so inside out that you could finish th...
8.6K 586 21
❝𝐒𝐞𝐞𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐨𝐧'𝐬 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.𝐈 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 ​you'll 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫...