STARRY EYES ⎯ BRIDGERTON

By Paris_El10

˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥ STARRY EYES ╭┈─────── ೄྀ࿐ ˊˎ- ╰┈➤ ❝ [ You were there when I needed someone ] ❞ ˚ ༘♡ ⋆。˚ ꕥIn which... More

Starry Eyes
act. one
001. Thornharts
002. Tea Party
003. Girl Talk
004. Kiss Ass
005. Decisions
006. Black Sheep
007. Sickness and in Health
008. Worst is yet to Come
009. No Matter What
010. New Addition
011. Grief
012. Recovery
013. One Thing After the Other
014. A Little Too Late
015. Time will Tell
act. two
016. Here we go...Again
017. Reunited
018. Deja Vu
019. Letters
020. Sneak Glances
021. May the best man Win
022. Secret Date
023. Gossip
024. Happiness is a Butterfly
025. The Vronskys
026. Revelation
027. Betrayed
029. Conflicted
030. Big Question
031. Ultimatum
032. Marriage
act. three
033. The calm before the Storm
034. Awkward Conversations
035. Set the Trap
036. Whose side are you on?

028. No means No

3.3K 151 21
By Paris_El10

~No means No~

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

"Are you not going to speak to me?" Athena asked her sister as they sat across from one another in the carriage.

After her talk with Margaret, Athena wanted to wait for Persephone and speak to her about the good news. But after Persephone arrived, she practically slammed the door in Athena's face, wanting nothing to do with her. Athena had no choice but to wait.

So she waited. Waited until the next day to speak to her, which was today, and nothing. Persephone was giving her sister the cold shoulder. Looking out the window instead of paying mind to anything her sister had to say.

"Persephone, what I have to tell you is really important." Athena practically pleaded with her sister but there was no avail.

"I don't want to hear your poor excuses." Persephone barely glanced at her, paying more attention to what was going on outside than to see her sister's face.

She didn't want to hear any excuse Athena had to say right now. She messed up and now she wants to make amends with her? Persephone had enough with her sister and she didn't want to deal with her. All she was going to do was say how sorry she was and that she had no choice.

"If you would just listen to me, you would know how important this is."

"I want to make this very clear. The reason I am anywhere near you is because we have to be here." Persephone looked at her sister as the carriage came to a stop. "If I had it my way, I wouldn't even be here but I guess that's a pattern within this family."

Before Athena could respond to her sister, Persephone was already out of the carriage putting on a facade that everything was fine. More and more people were talking about the dinner between the Vronskys and the Thornharts. Nobody has seen any of them...until now.

A new wing at Somerset house was opening today. Several attractions would be displayed. There was no doubt the Thornhart women would be attending.

But as the women continued walking inside, they could feel eyes on them. No doubt, wanting to know what went down in the wedding. But like they were always taught. Keep looking forward and your chin up high. That was the Thornhart rule. Nobody could know what was really going on behind closed doors, behind the facade being displayed upon them.

Upon looking around, her brown eyes met with a familiar shade of blue. A man she longed for. A man she could never have. James stood a couple of feet away from where she was standing.

"I'm going to speak to the Duke." Persephone turned her head to her sister.

"Persephone—"

"Are you going to forbid me to see him now?" Persephone tilted her head to the side, almost challenging her sister.

"No, you can go right ahead. I'll meet up with you later."

Persephone walked away, not giving her sister a response. She would still give Athena the cold shoulder. Just because she had to put a facade, doesn't mean they were on good terms. She wasn't going to pretend she was fine with her sister.

"Everyday you seem to look more and more beautiful, Miss Thornhart." James greeted the girl once she was in front of him. But by the look on her face, he can tell that something was wrong. "You seem upset."

Persephone turned to the painting in front of them. Too scared to look him in the eyes once she would tell him the truth. "You were right."

James furrowed his brows. "Right about what?"

Persephone rolled her eyes, giving him a look. "What you told me after dinner."

Persephone didn't want to get into too much detail. There were people around them and she was sure someone would be eavesdropping in their conversation. One slip up and everyone would know what went down in that dinner and the arranged marriage she has with Robert.

James thought for a moment before realization hit him. "So that means..."

"Yea." Persephone nodded her head, walking away from the painting, with James following. "I found out the next day and it's worse than I thought."

"What else did you find out?"

Persephone looked around the room, less people were in the area that they were in but she still had to be cautious. "If I don't marry him, I have to give him all of my grandfather's properties and money. On top of that, Athena knew the whole thing."

James knew how important the Linwood's properties were. His father would always talk to him about it. His father always wanted to have their property but Brandon Linwood wouldn't sell it to anybody. It was a family property that had been passed down from generation to generation and it seemed that Brandon Linwood passed it down to Persephone. He knew she wouldn't give it to Robert just like that.

"That's terrible and your sister knew this whole time?" James was just as shocked to hear Athena's involvement in this whole thing. He believed Athena was always on Persephone's side. Guess he was wrong.

"There really isn't anything I can do, James. I can't give up my grandfather's properties to someone like him."

"I know. Believe me, I know how important they are."

"Which is why..." Persephone took a deep breath before looking James in the eyes. "Which is why I need to let you go."

She already regretted the words that came out of her mouth but she knew it had to be done. James deserves so much more and someone who didn't have so much baggage. He was a great guy but she knew her future wouldn't be with him.

"Persephone, we can figure this out." But James knew there was no way they would figure things out. Everything was set and stone for them.

Persephone shook her head, taking his hands. "You deserve someone better. I have too many things to deal with and I can't continue something that might not ever happen. You'll find someone better."

"I don't want anyone else. I want you." But as much as James didn't want things to end between them, by the look on Persephone's face, she had already made this decision.

"We can't always have what we want."

"So you're just going to give up like that?" James felt himself getting angry. Does she not care about him? About them?

"You think I have a choice?" Persephone scoffed, looking around before looking back at him. "I can't do anything about it. I'm trying my best to figure this out and I can't drag you into this."

Persephone didn't know how long it would take for her to figure something out. To get out of this contract without jeopardizing her grandfather's properties. She wanted James to be happy. Even if it wasn't with her.

"Persephone, I love you. I would go to the pits of hell and back for you if I have to." James had confessed, looking into her eyes. "You are the only woman I want in my life."

She felt her heart beating loud. James loves her. The words she had always wanted to hear. But Persephone had already made her decision. She wanted James to move on. She didn't want him to get hurt in the process.

"I would have loved to have heard that in a different circumstance." Persephone felt her eyes well up but tried her best not to let the tears come out. "But I have to let you go."

Persephone let go of his hands, no longer feeling the warmth of his hands. She knew she was hurting him but she was hurting herself as well. But Persephone knew this was the right thing to do...at least she thought it was.

"I'll wait for you." James didn't want to give up, not yet.

"I don't want you to." Persephone shook her head. "Goodbye, your grace."

Persephone turned back around, putting her facade back on. Pretending like nothing happened. Like she didn't just end things with James right then and there. It hurt, it really did. But she knew it was something she had to do.

⊱ ──────ஓ๑♡๑ஓ ────── ⊰

After her conversation with the Duke of Salisbury, Persephone had met up with her dear friend Naomi. Both girls had a lot on their mind.

"I saw you walk away with James. What happened?" The two walked together, admiring the paintings that surrounded the room.

"I ended things with him."

Naomi almost got whiplashed at how fast she turned her head to face her best friend. "You ended things? Why?"

"Keep your voice down." Persephone whispered to her as she felt people turn towards their direction. "I had to, Naomi. I couldn't bring him down with me."

"But I thought you were going to figure things out. To stop the situation from happening." Naomi was confused, very confused.

Persephone sighed. "Even if I do fight, I don't know how long that would last. It could take days, months, even years. I can't let him wait, especially when he earns his title."

The Duchess would soon step down and James would take over. He needed someone by his side and even if he wished to be with Persephone, she couldn't. Besides, she didn't think the Vronskys would want anything to do with her after the show Daniel made.

"I guess you have a point. But it's a shame. You guys were perfect for each other." Naomi loved the two of them together and hoped they would find each other some day.

"Enough about me, what's going on?" Persephone asked her, changing the subject.

"I'm surprised you haven't met the Prince."

"What Prince?"

"Prince Friedrich of Prussia. He is the talk of the town. I'm surprised you haven't heard about it." Naomi explained as they watched the girls flock around the Prince. "Hasn't even been here for too long and the man has girls surrounding him."

"Every girl has dreamed of becoming a princess, now is their chance." Persephone didn't care too much about the Prince. She had more things to worry about. "Have you spoken to him?"

"I did. It was going pretty well actually. But it wasn't long before he decided to take interest in Daphne." Naomi turned away from them just as the Prince looked their way.

Persephone blinked a couple of times. I really have been out of the loop, she thought. "How? Isn't she with the Duke?"

Naomi shrugged. "She is. But the Queen has really been pushing for the Prince to be with Daphne, even if she doesn't have much interest in him. She's still playing that little game."

Persephone knew something was happening between Daphne and the Duke. How long will they be playing this game? Toying with each other's feelings. Honestly, Persephone felt like they just had to confess to one another and get married.

But as Persephone thought about the Prince and Daphne, she couldn't help but think about Naomi. She had seemed upset about the sudden interest the Prince of Prussia had with Daphne.

"I'm guessing you had your eyes on him?" Persephone asked her, already knowing the answer.

Naomi huffed. "It just sucks. I thought we had something good going on but it seems like he has more interest in Daphne than in anyone else."

"He isn't worth it then." Persephone watched Daphne walk away from the Prince. "It's not like she likes him anyway."

"Definitely right about that. I wonder when she's going to confess to the Duke. That girl is in love with him." Both girls knew it was only a matter of time before Daphne's game blew up in her face.

"Persephone, I have been looking for you everywhere." The girls turned around to find Athena.

"What do you want now?"

"We have to talk." Athena responded to her young sister. "I told you this."

"The last thing I need is to have this conversation with you here, in front of everyone. This is not the time nor the place to have this conversation." Persephone stated, walking away from her sister and best friend.

"I suggest you give her some time. Whatever it is you have to say to her, you have to wait." Naomi didn't want to speak to Athena but she could tell the older woman was at least trying to make things right.

"That's the thing, Naomi. Things can't wait. I have to tell her before it's too late."

"Like what?" Naomi was curious.

Athena turned to Naomi. "To make things right."

⊱ ──────ஓ๑♡๑ஓ ────── ⊰

As Persephone walked away from her sister and best friend. She stood in front of a painting. The same paintings that every male artist likes to draw. Naked women. She wanted to get away and if that meant staring at a painting of naked women, then so be it. All she wanted was some peace and quiet.

"How's my lovely wife doing?"

Guess not.

"I forbid you to call me that." Persephone turned around, finding a smiling Robert bothering her presence.

"Why? We all know you'll be my wife soon. I shouldn't have to hide it."

"I'm not going to be your wife."

"So you'll give me the property of the Linwoods?"

"I'm not giving you anything. My family didn't work their butts off just for me to hand it to you." Persephone crossed her arms. "You don't deserve anything."

"I hope you realize you have no choice." Robert stood next to her, trying to keep their voices down. "It's best to accept your fate."

"I would rather be dragged down the pits of hell by the devil himself than to marry a guy like you. Let alone have kids with you." Persephone hissed. "Let's face it. This so-called marriage isn't going to work. I suggest you find someone else to carry your seed."

Robert smirked. "I have my ways, Persephone. Don't you worry."

It's like he didn't understand what no meant. Robert was pushing her buttons. It took everything in Persephone to not yell at him. But she had to stay calm. There were way too many people here and one wrong move and everyone will know what was going on. The last thing she needed was people in her business.

"You and your friend can do whatever you want but I am not going to marry you. I want nothing to do with you or that stupid plan you guys created." Persephone expressed, side eyeing him. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have better things to attend to than having this dreadful conversation with you."

Robert let her walk away. He let her talk. Say whatever that was inside that little pretty head of hers. No matter what she said, she couldn't change anything. Persephone was just going to have to deal with it and marry him. It would be a lot harder for her if she doesn't stop. Fighting isn't going to get her anywhere.

"Figured you'd be here."

The voice was enough to pissed Robert off. The person he least wanted to see but things were different now. This time, Robert had the upper hand.

"What do you want?" Not bothering to glance at the person next to him. "Shouldn't you be looking for another woman to marry?"

James dryly chuckled, masking the anger that consumed him within. "I wouldn't have to if it wasn't for you and her selfish family."

"I told you what was going on. You just didn't believe me." Robert shrugged, smirking a little. "But don't worry. I'll take good care of her."

"You won't marry her. I won't let that happen."

Robert huffed, turning his attention to the blonde man. "I know you know you can't do anything about it. Not unless you want to make me ten times richer and make her hate you for the rest of her life."

"You think I'm just going to sit here with my arms crossed while you marry someone you don't even deserve? Why do you want to marry her so bad? What do you gain from this?"

"None of your business."

That seemed to spark James' interest. Why did he want to marry Persephone so bad? Of course he would gain higher status but that's just it. There had to be something he would get in order to marry her.

"It is my business when it involves the woman I want. The woman I care for." James stated. "She would never care for you and she would never love you."

"It's not your business anymore. Soon enough, we will get married and you will be nothing but a distant memory."

"You know for a fact I won't. I'm not going to give up and let you make her life miserable. You wouldn't make a good husband." James raised his brows. "Your last wife made that perfectly known to everyone."

Robert and his ex wife agreed to keep their reasoning of their divorce a secret. That was until one night Robert told his friends his ex wife couldn't have any children. The next day, she was the topic of discussion. Yet, she didn't hide the fact that Robert was a terrible husband and pitied the next girl who would be his wife. To add more gasoline to the fire, she had said there was more to the story.

"I suggest you keep your mouth shut."

"And I suggest you stay away from Persephone if you know what's good for you." James glared at him. "Let's not forget I have my ways to find things out."

"The next time you threaten me, I'm going to take things into my own hands."

"A man your age?" James laughed. "Don't break your hip in the process."

"I suggest you watch your back and keep your secrets hidden. For Persephone, I'm willing to do whatever it takes." James looked down at the man before whispering. "This is a battle I'm willing to die for so I hope you can prepare yourself."

James walked away from the man, practically leaving him speechless. That was what he wanted. James was always taught to fight for what he wanted. His father taught him and he was going to give up. James wanted Persephone to be free and be happy. He wanted her to have the chance to marry someone for love. Even if that meant it wouldn't be with him.

⊱ ──────ஓ๑♡๑ஓ ────── ⊰

! Author's Note !

─◌✰್ So sad my two favorite people ended things. Persephone made a tough decision in which she believed was best in this circumstance. But their story is not over yet.

─◌✰್ Also, I was going to have Naomi be with the Prince of Prussia but I'm still not sure, especially when he is pinning on Daphne. I was thinking about creating a new character for Naomi because my girl does not deserve to be a second choice. What do you guys think?

─◌✰್ Thank you all for reading. Enjoy♡

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

194K 6.6K 31
Delilah has never truly had a good relationship with anyone. Her father had made it no secret that he did not want her and had not paid her any care...
20.3K 680 21
𝗧𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗹𝗲𝗳𝘁 𝗮 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗺𝗮𝗻𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗺𝗮𝗿𝗸 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗴𝗹𝗼𝘄𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗮𝗿𝗸, 𝗧𝗵𝗲𝘀𝗲 𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗱𝘀 𝗵𝗮𝗱 �...
159K 3.6K 16
Magnolia || Colin Bridgerton Every member of the London ton in 1813 knew of the closeness between the Bridgerton and Hayward families. They summered...
198K 5.9K 24
| | The only happiness that matters are my sisters and brothers...I don't care ab...