Of Love and Shadows

By heavengrows

Thalia was the daughter of a merchant in The City of Starlight, Valaris, a warrior. Just an ordinary Faerie... More

Prologue
The Shadowsinger
The Inner Circle
The General
The Mates
The Heir
Thalia's Armor
The Healing
The Spymaster
The Asset
The Merchant
The Kin-Slayer
The Princess
The Mating Bond
The Frenzy
The Lieutenant General
The Bath
The Windhaven Camp
The Battle
The Mother
The Warrior of Light
The Day Court
The Answers
The Prophecy
PART TWO: The Gifted One
The Distraction
The Bunny
The Flight
Hiatus (so sorry)

The Truth

666 12 0
By heavengrows

Thalia

We would be going to a war camp called Windhaven in a week, so I had time to prepare. Rhys and Feyre showed me the basics of being the second to the general, with Cassian's help of course. Technically, I would be the second in command to Rhys's militaries and would take over if Cassian had any trouble in battle or he was too busy. I liked the idea, but I still didn't know what my answer was going to be.

"How are you this fine evening," Feyre asked as she joined me in the sitting room where I was sharpening my dagger. I put my dagger away out of respect for the High Lady.

"I'm okay," I said, sighing.

"Would you like to join me in the library?" Feyre asked me.

"Library?" out of my two days of being here, I had never once come upon a library.

"Yes, there is a library run by priestesses who live under the house," Feyre explained.

"Oh," I chuckled. Of course, there was a library. "I would love to join you, Feyre."

"Good," Feyre gripped my hand as she led me to the library.

                                    --------------------

The library was huge. With rows and rows of bookshelves that led to the roof. It was set underneath the House which was built into the mountain. It was beautiful and had become my favorite place to be.

For two days I accompanied Feyre, sometimes Rhys, and her sister who I had come to know as Nesta, to the library. Nesta wasn't necessarily my favorite right now with the glare and sneers she would give me when I became too close to her. But I knew of her story that Feyre told me that she didn't like the Fae ever since she was thrown into the Cauldron by the king of Hybern. I haven't met the other sister yet, but Feyre told me she was going through it harder than Nesta was. So I avoided them both.

Right now, I was waiting in the sitting area as Feyre and Nesta had gone deeper into the library. They told me to stay here since they didn't want me to get lost, but I had my light to keep me company.

I was reading when they came back from the deeper part of the library covered in sweat and looked like they had seen a ghost. Azriel and Cassian were with them, both had blood on them. I stood, dropped the book, and ran over to them.

"What the hell happened?" I said, worried, looking both the males up and down for any signs that that was their blood.

"The king of Hybern had sent his Ravens to capture Nesta," Azriel said.

"I should have been there," I said, clenching my fists.

"No," Azriel said.

"What?" I sized up the spymaster.

He looked down at me, his face unreadable. "It was too dangerous."

I clicked my tongue. "You don't get to decide what's too dangerous for me or not."

"Thalia, it's fine," Feyre said.

"No, I should have been there to help you," I said.

"You don't have to worry about me," Feyre argued.

"No, but if you want me to be part of your Inner Circle, then you need to trust me when you and your family need to be protected," I said, she sighed and I knew she agreed.

Rhysand suddenly came out of the darkness, covered in blood. I covered my nose at the stench of the powerful magic rolling off him. It was too much.

"They are dead," He said, rage smothering his face.

"Good," I said.

                                     -------------------

I awoke with a gasp. It was a nightmare. The same one I had had since I had come here. It was my father, he had thrown me into a bath of black water that swallowed me whole, tore at my clothes and -

I barely made it to the toilet before I threw up.

I groaned as I sat back on the bathroom wall next to the toilet, and brought my knees to my chest, my head between them as I tried the quench my nausea.

I have no clue what that dream meant, or what it was supposed to suggest because I have never seen a tub full of black water before. And the man sitting on the throne was someone I had never met before.

I stood on shaking legs to the sink, watched my face, and rinsed my mouth out before climbing back into bed.

I didn't get any more sleep after that.

                                          -------------------

I awoke to an empty house the next day, but I don't mind.

As I approached the refrigerator, I saw the note from Rhysand.

~Thalia~

Gone to the meeting with the High Lords with Feyre and the Inner circle. You have the House to yourself, so please don't set it on fire.

~R

I chuckled as I threw the note in the trash and opened the fridge. So everyone was out on Inner Circle duty while I was here on my own. Since no one was here, I let my magic out fully, letting the strain of having it dimmed go.

I made myself some toast and eggs before going down to the library to do some research on my magic. Ever since Amren had said that I was part of a prophecy, I had done lots of research on my magic. Though I haven't found anything yet, I was still searching.

The library was quiet, only the spare priestess came to give me a new book that might help me, but it was quiet and cozy.

Closing the book I was reading about Shadowsingers and finding nothing of my type of magic I gave up for the day. Sighing I laid my head back on the couch and decided I would take a nap.

Soon I woke up druzy and weak. Something wasn't right. I tried to come back to my senses, and when I did I was startled.

I wasn't at the House of Wind anymore.

I wasn't even in Prythian anymore.

Because the King of Hybern was glaring down at me from his throne.

"This is the girl?" Hybern asked, seemingly disgusted.

I tried to grab onto my magic, but only a little remained. I tried to remain still as I sent a tendril of invisible light back to the Night Court, to whoever would listen.

"Yes, sire."

I swallowed a gasp at the voice.

It was my father, though I couldn't see him. The male holding me wouldn't let me turn my head.

"Is she your daughter?"  Hybern asked, the look of distaste still present on his ugly face.

"Yes and no, My King."

What?

"How so?" Hybern asked.

"She was given to me by Amarantha," my father said from somewhere around the room. "She said she was her daughter; she does not want her."

I was confused. Was I not the daughter of the Merchant of Valaris? Had I been blind for all these years? Who was Amarantha?

"Are you sure you want to throw her into the cauldron?" Hybern said, leaning back into his throne.

The cauldron? I saw was looked to be a bath full of black water and I began to thrash against the hold of the men holding me. That was what was in my dreams. The cauldron. I was terrified that I was going to be thrown in there.

Just then banging was heard in the hall.

Hybern stood from his throne, growling at the door behind us.

"Throw her in," he ordered.

"NO!!!" I screamed with all my might, fighting the males holding me.

They were too strong and my hands were tied behind my back. I kicked and screamed at the cauldron, even managed to tip it over, but it rose back on its iron feet and refilled itself like I hadn't kicked it over. The males lifted me, but I kept thrashing and screaming "NO" as they lowered me into the blackness of the water.

I glared at the king as everything went black.

But I heard one voice.

Hello, my Queen of Light.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57K 609 44
A story of Rhys and Feyre's life with their court after ACOMAF. ~~ No smut. ~~ DISCLAIMER: I don't own any ACOMAF characters or rights. All belong t...
476K 18.2K 83
[COMPLETED] A hundred years had passed since the war against Hybern. Life was back to normal until a fae child fell from the sky and claimed to be fr...
88.7K 3.8K 96
She sent as much love as she dared, hoping he wouldn't feel it, praying he wouldn't link it to her. But just for that one second, she let herself lov...
108K 3.8K 28
An Azriel Fanfiction. (Azriel × OC) Daggerheart should have always remained in the dark - the shadow you see out of the corner of your eye - gone b...