|| KAIRA SS : TUM MILE....||

writer_shailz tarafından

This is a short story on Kaira. Kartik Malhotra is a thirty - five years old single father to an eight year... Daha Fazla

~ Tum Mile ~
~Prologue~
Episode 1 - His Life
Episode 2 : A New Tenant
Episode 3 - And They Meet....
Episode 4 : Naira's First Day
Episode 5 - The Dentist Visit
Episode 6 : The Subramanians
Episode 8 : "Are You a Lawyer?"
Episode 9 : Kartik's Past

Episode 7 : The Family Dinner

642 105 18
writer_shailz tarafından

Hey guys, here's the next episode. Please vote and comment.

Happy Reading..!!

<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>

The episode starts in the dining room of the Subramanian House.

Everyone is sitting at the dining table, proceeding to have dinner.

(Kartik is sitting beside Saanvi on one side; Vihaan is sitting with Hema on the other side and Rajan is sitting on the front end)

The dining table is filled with appetizing and exquisite food items ranging from rice, sambaar, steamy idlis, dosa, masala vada, dry and curried vegetables, chapattis and rasam. Pineapple sheera is served as a side dessert.

Everyone is having dinner in silence, focusing solely on the food served on their plates.

Only the sound of the silverwares could be heard, until Hema speaks -

Hema(asking Kartik): How is the food, kanna? Do you like it?

Kartik, who is tastefully devouring the spicy and crunchy masala vadas, replies to Hema -

Kartik: Is that even a question, Amma? I'm loving it...Itne saal ho gaye, lekin aapke haath ke khaane ka taste nahi badla...

Hema smiles warmly at Kartik. Just then, Rajan comments -

Rajan(holding the masala vada and looking at it): I find these masala vadas very bland...(to Hema) Suman tumse better masala vada banati thi..

Kartik defends his mother in law.

Kartik: Bland? No Appa. I find them tasteful...(takes a bite)

Rajan(straight face; to Kartik): Tumhari spice tolerance bhaut kam hai, toh you wouldn't know...

Kartik looks blankly at him.

Rajan always used to disregard his opinions, like they don't matter at all.

Kartik was tired of this behavior of his father in law, so he instead focused on his food.

Just then, Hema chirps into their conversation -

Hema: Woh...Vihaan ko dhyaan mein rakhke, mene har cheez mei thoda kam spice daala hai, (to Rajan) isliye shayad thoda bland lage aapko...

Rajan nods meekly at his wife and continues eating from his plate.

Just then, Kartik notices Vihaan finishing  off the pineapple sheera first so he stops him -

Kartik(sternly): Vihaan...pehle dessert kyu khaa rhe ho? Finish off other things first...dessert last mei khana...otherwise you will leave all other things I know...

Vihaan(pouting): But Papa, I'm liking the sheera, it's very tasty...I want to eat it first.

Kartik: No yo-

Rajan(interrupting Kartik): Why are you telling him what to eat, what not to eat? He's old enough to eat on his own...let him be.

Kartik(trying to reason): I'm just trying to teach him etiquettes, Appa...what's wrong in that?

Rajan looks at Kartik for sometime in dispiritedness, but then leaves the topic not wanting to indulge further into the argument with his son-in-law.

Kartik refocuses on his son, who was clueless about the cold war between his father and his grand father.

Kartik(sternly): Vihaan...pull up your sleeves and eat...don't spoil your uniform.

Vihaan pulls up his sleeves obediently without throwing any tantrums, because the little boy could feel the tension and heated atmosphere building up in the dining room. However, he did not care less so he continued enjoying his pudding.

Rajan(looking down at his plate; murmuring): Someone please explain it to him, apne bacche ko bematlab ka daantne se tum ek ideal father nahi ban jaate...

Kartik stops the spoon midway in the air, as he hears the taunt from his father in law that was intentionally directed towards him.

Hema and Saanvi exchange tensed glances.

Passing a sombre look to Rajan, Kartik picks up his phone from the table and starts scrolling through his mails trying to find a distraction.

He was in no mood to put up an argument with his father in law and spoil the mood of the dinner.

He knew Hema must have planned this dinner with much hopes, so he did not want to ruin it for her.

Moreover, he knew his father in law was just being grumpy. That was his dominant behavioural trait.

He shouldn't mind it because he knew Rajan didn't actually mean any of the taunts. There have been times when his father in law has been doting and a complete ball of sugar too, though those times are practically rare.

Trying to maintain the sanity at the dining table, Hema diverts the route of the impending conversation -

Hema(pouring curry in Vihaan's bowl): Kartik...tumhare parents kaise hain? (to Vihaan) Vihu...saapidu adhai (eat it)

Vihaan nods obediently and picks up his spoon to pour the curry in rice.

Rajan(suddenly interested): Yes, how is Mr. Malhotra? I miss playing chess with him...

Kartik: Mom and Dad are fine...

Rajan: Delhi mein hain na?

Kartik: Yess...

Rajan: Did you go to meet them anytime recently?

Kartik: I tried in summer...lekin kaam aa gaya...toh I had to cancel the tickets...

Hema: Ayyo...why kanna? You shouldn't ignore your parents like that...after all you're a single child...they must miss you badly...kaam ka kya hai? Kaam toh zindagi bhar lage rehta hai...par parents zindagi bhar nahi rahege tumhare saath...

Kartik: (sighs) Maine tickets book kar li hain, Amma...Vihaan and I are going to Delhi during Diwali...

Hema: Fir theek hai...(continues eating)

Rajan(to Kartik): Corporate race mein itna bhi mat kho jao ki tum apno ko hi bhool jao...learn to set your priorities...

Kartik doesn't reply anything to Rajan. He continues eating from his plate.

Rajan(continues): Vihaan se toh tum ek din bhi door nahi reh sakte...isliye toh usey weekends pe bhi yahan nahi aane dete ho...socho tumhare parents ka kya haal hota hoga tumse itne dino tak door rehke... (scoffs) you clearly don't know anything about maintaining a work-life balance...

Kartik stops eating and looks at his father-in-law with a defeated face. At this point, he was ready to accept that all flaws are in him and that his father-in-law is always right, to avoid any further argument with him. He just wanted his peace of mind.

Once again, Hema tries to divert the conversation sensing the uneasy and strained atmosphere.

Hema: Saanvi...

Saanvi stops eating and looks at her mother with a clueless facade.

Saanvi: Yes Amma?

Hema: You wanted to ask your jiju about...CAT preparation, right?

Saanvi(bewildered): Haan...??

Hema widens her eyes and gestures Saanvi to proceed so that Kartik and Rajan are distracted.

Saanvi understands her mother's intentions.

Saanvi: Oh yes yes...

Rajan: Haan pucho pucho...he's a graduate from the prestigious IIM Bangalore...he will know better than anyone else...

Saanvi(turning to Kartik): Jiju...

Kartik turns to her.

Saanvi: Woh I'm thinking to quit job and prepare for MBA...you know...better positions, higher perks...toh mujhe bass jaanna tha how should I prepare for CAT...

Kartik takes a glance at Rajan.

Rajan was staring blankly at him with folded arms.

Kartik sighs and turns to Saanvi.

Kartik: Saanvi...maine CAT 10-12 saal pehle diya tha...abhi toh shayad pattern bhi change ho gaya hoga...

Saanvi: But still you cracked CAT right? Woh bhi 99% + percentile...you would have better knowledge than anyone else...

Kartik: (sighs) Okay...so - (their conversation is muted)

Hema refocuses on her food once she is assured that Kartik is distracted.

She strictly gestures Rajan to stay quiet and not interrupt their conversation.

Rajan sighs in defeat and looks down at his plate.

<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>

After having dinner, Saanvi and Vihaan are sitting on the bed in Saanvi's room.

Saanvi is showing him the old photo albums.

Saanvi(pointing at a photo in album): Yeh dekho Vihaan...yeh tab ki photo hai when you were in your mumma's tummy...

Vihaan(amazed): Wowww...(leans forward to get a clear look of the photo)

Saanvi chuckles at her nephew's reaction.

Vihaan(curiously): Waise Maasi...

Saanvi: Hmm...??

Vihaan(curious): Main mumma ki tummy mein gaya kaise...??

Saanvi's eyes get wide at his question.

Saanvi(awkward): Ah....

Vihaan was staring at her curiously.

Saanvi: You don't need to know about that now Vihu...(chuckles nervously)

She quickly turns the page and points at another photograph in the album.

Saanvi: Look...this was taken just after you were born...

Vihaan tilts his head and looks at the photograph.

It was a photo of baby Vihaan lying in the crib and yawning.

Saanvi(teasing): You looked like a potato...(chuckles)

Vihaan(pouting): No maasi...I looked cute...(folds his arms)

The scene shifts to Kartik and Hema

They are standing in the attached balcony and hearing Saanvi and Vihaan's conversation.

Vihaan's reply makes both of them chuckle.

Hema(smiling; to Kartik): You should bring him here more often...uske aane se aisa lagta hai ki, chahe kuch der keliye hi sahi lekin sab kuch theek ho gaya hai...

Kartik smiles faintly and lowers his gaze.

Just then it thunders loudly.

Vihaan(exclaiming in excitement): Maasi...baarish...!!

Saanvi: (sighs) Uff...finally...!! (continues turning the pages of the album)

The scene shifts to Kartik and Hema

Kartik sighs, turns back, and holds the railing of the balcony. A tiny drop of rain falls on the back of his palm.

Soon it starts drizzling and he could see the showers of rain through the tawny light of the street lamp situated beside the main gate of the Subramanian House.

The earthly smell has infused itself with the rain and it thunders loudly, yet again.

It was the first rain after a scorching summer of almost two months.

Kartik closes his eyes to inhale the petrichor as a pleasant, brisk breeze blows past him.

Hema moves closer to Kartik and places her hand on his shoulder.

Kartik opens his eyes and turns to her.

Hema(soft expression): Kanna...I'm sorry agar tumhe Suman ke Appa ki kisi bhi baat ka bura laga ho toh...woh aise...(doesn't find words)...you know na he doesn't mean anything intentionally...??

Kartik(smiling faintly): Yah, I know that Amma...isliye main bhi unki baaton ko seriously nahi leta...

Hema smiles and turns front, looking at the droplets of rain falling to the ground.

Hema(looking front): Suman ke jaane ke baad...our life has not been the same...especially uske Appa ki...he still misses her alot...all of us do...lekin woh thoda zyada hi miss karte hain usey...after all these years, he still has not been able to come to terms with reality...unhone baat karna bahot kam kar diya hai...ab toh retirement ke baad ghar pe baithe - baithe ya toh din bhar news dekhte rehte hain...yaa mujhse din bhar choti choti baaton pe jhagda...it seems like he has lost the purpose of life...kitne plans banaye thay unhone retirement ke baad keliye...(chuckles) he wanted to open a cafe...savings bhi kar li thi uske liye...but now, he just sits in bedroom and sulks all day...isliye thode chidchide bhi hote jaa rahe hain...

Kartik: (sighs) I get it...Suman ke jaane ke baad toh maine jeene ki umeed hi chhod di thi...woh toh bass Vihaan keliye maine himmat rakhi...(scoffs) ab bhi jee kahan raha hoon main?! Apne saare shauk chhod diye maine...kisi bhi cheez mein dil nahi lagta...it's like, I'm just going with the flow...(chuckles) kabhi kabhi yeh sochke darr lagta hai ki...jab Vihaan bada ho jayega and he'll leave me to live his own life...tab mera kya hoga? I'll lose the purpose to live...(looks at Hema)

Hema is staring at him blankly with a soft expression.

Kartik(smiling to himself): Kabhi Kabhi lagta hai...agar Suman mere saath hoti...toh things would've been much easier....I...I miss her alot...

When he feels that his eyes are watering up, he turns his face away and wipes the tears from the corner of his eyes.

Hema looks at him affectionately.

Her eyes are moist too.

She rubs his back gently to calm him down.

Kartik exhales deeply and raises his head, pretending to be okay.

Kartik(looking front; voice heavy with tears): Vihaan ki toh bass 5 saal tak ki yaadein hain uski mom ke saath...I wonder when he grows up, whether he would still remember her or not? Kya Suman bass ek distant memory banke reh jayegi uske liye...??

Hema(rubbing Kartik's back gently): Aisa nahi hoga kanna...aisa bilkul nahi hoga...Suman ki yaadein kabhi humse door nahi hongi...naahi Vihaan se...

Kartik nods meekly and continues staring at the darkness gathering around.

Hema looks at Kartik for sometime, then taking a deep breath, she starts speaking -

Hema(meekly): Kanna...

Kartik turns to her.

Hema(little hesitant to ask): Have you...have you ever thought about getting married again?

Kartik's eyes get wide as he is startled by her question.

Kartik(disturbed): Amma...yeh aap kya -

Hema(intervenes): Main bahot dino se puchna chah rahi thi tumse...aaj finally time mila...

Kartik stares at her cluelessly.

Hema: Tumhare parents bhi tumpe pressure nahi daal rahe to get married again?!

Kartik(straight face): Haan...daal rahe hain...aur ab shayad aap bhi...lekin Suman ke baad, I can never think about dating anyone else, let alone getting married.

Hema(soft expression; holding his hand): I know kanna...but Suman ko gaye teen saal ho gaye hain...you should start over with someone else...apne liye nahi toh, atleast Vihaan keliye...aise akele zindagi nahi kat ti...

Kartik(disappointed): Amma...maine aapse yeh nahi expect kiya tha...Suman toh aapki beti hai...aap kaise usko-

Hema(intervenes): Lekin tum bhi toh mere bete ho na...

Kartik looks at her softly.

Hema: Aur Vihu mera grandson...I'm just worried about both of you...

Kartik: (sighs) You don't have to be worried...we are...we are doing just fine...

Hema: No, you are not....

Kartik looks at her blankly.

Hema: Pehle mujhe doubt tha...but aaj tumhari baatein sunke mujhe yakeen ho gaya hai...(softly) Kartik...it's alright to move on...you don't have to punish yourself...jo Suman ke saath hua, tum uske liye responsible nahi thay...tumhari galti nahi -

Kartik(intervenes): I could've saved her, Amma...

Hema: Jab doctors tak ne jawaab de diya tha, then what else could you have done kanna?

Kartik sighs and turns front.

Hema: It's good to have a partner Kartik...to share your responsibilities...you don't need to be hard on yourself...if you know that someone is by your side, tum khud ki life pe bhi focus kar paoge...(sighs) I don't want you to become like Suman's Appa...tum abhi bhi young ho...you've got a whole life ahead of you...please...please don't let go of it by sulking about the things that can't be undone...(places her hand on his shoulder) Suman ab wapis nahi aayegi...yeh tum bhi jaante ho, aur main bhi....aur shayad Suman bhi yehi chahti hai...(pauses for sometime) think about it...

She pats Kartik's shoulder lightly and walks inside.

Kartik keeps standing there with a troubled stance.

Just then his phone rings.

He pulls out the phone from his jean pocket, receives the call and moves it to his ear.

Kartik: Hello...yes yes...aap thoda wait karo...we'll be there in 5...

He ends the call and slides the phone inside his pocket.

Kartik(walking inside the room): Chalo Vihaan...cab aa gayi hai...

Vihaan(stubbornly): No...I don't wanna go...!!

He clutches to Hema, hugging her tightly.

Kartik sighs tiredly and rubs his forehead.

Vihaan: Papa...can we stay here for the night...pleaseee

Kartik(sternly): Vihaan -

Hema(intervenes): Vihu...aap abhi jaoge, fir na baad mein wapis aa paoge...and don't worry...abhi next hum aayege aapse milne aapke ghar pe...

Vihaan(releasing the hug): Sacchi Nani?

Hema(caressing Vihaan's cheek): Haan baccha...

Vihaan hugs Hema tightly. Hema kisses on top of his head.

Releasing the hug, Vihaan turns to Saanvi.

Vihaan(hugging Saanvi): Bye Maasi...

Saanvi(reciprocating the hug): Bye Vihuuu...

She releases the hug and ruffles Vihaan's hair.

Vihaan gets off the bed and holds Kartik's hand.

Both of them head to the door when Rajan stops them from behind.

Rajan(from behind): Ruko...

Kartik and Vihaan turn back to face Rajan.

Rajan looks at Kartik and starts walking towards them holding his vetti.

Kartik starts looking here and there, unable to maintain intense eye contact with his father in law.

Rajan approaches them and bends in front of Vihaan.

Rajan(forwarding a chocolate bar to Vihaan): Here...take this...

Vihaan takes the bar of DairyMilk from Rajan and grins at him.

Vihaan(hugging Rajan): Thank you Nanu...(kisses his cheek)

Rajan smiles at Vihaan and pats his back.

He stands upright and looks at Kartik.

Rajan(to Kartik): Aate rehna...

Kartik looks at Rajan for sometime and nods meekly.

He starts wearing his shoes when Saanvi enters with Vihaan's school bag.

Saanvi: Jiju...Vihaan ka school bag...

Kartik takes the school bag from Saanvi.

Kartik(smiling): Thank you...

Saanvi smiles back at him.

Kartik turns to Rajan and Hema.

Kartik: Chalte hain...

Hema: Ghar pahuchke ek baar call kar dena...

Kartik smiles faintly and nods.

He holds Vihaan's hand and both of them walk out of the door, paving their way towards their cab waiting for them outside the main gate.

The door closes itself due to the wind.

The faint smile on Rajan's lips disappears as he loses the sight of the retreating figures of Kartik and Vihaan heading their way towards their cab.

Hema sighs in defeat and holds her husband's arm.

Hema(looking at Rajan's sad face): Don't think much about it...they'll keep coming around...

Rajan nods meekly, removes Hema's hand from his arm and paves his way towards his room quietly.

Hema and Saanvi exchange concerned glances.

<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>

PRECAP:-

Same Night

Kartik's Apartment

Kartik is seen sitting on the sofa in the living room and working on his laptop.

Just then, he hears the thudding of the hammer against the wall from the adjacent flat.

When the sound started irritating him, he rose from the sofa and decided to resolve the matter.

Approaching the adjacent flat, he pinged the door bell.

Naira opened the door. Her flat was dark. She was holding a candle. She was startled seeing Kartik.

Naira(looking at Kartik): Yes??

Kartik was about to start complaining, when he noticed that her flat was dark.

Kartik(baffled): Yeh lights ko kya ho gaya?

Naira(tucks a strand of hair behind her ear): Woh...I guess fuse udd gaya hai...I tried to call the electricity department, but no one received.

Kartik looks around the living room. He could see nothing but darkness. She could stumble upon the furniture in this darkness, as the furniture was still unpacked and scattered across the room.

Kartik(shifting her gaze to Naira): Do you mind if I help?

Naira looked at him cluelessly.

***************

Kartik was standing on the stool, trying to find the lose connection in the main circuit board. Naira was standing beside him, switching on the flashlight of her phone.

Naira: Ho gaya kya??

Kartik(working on the circuit board): Haan bass ho gaya...

Naira: Okay...be careful, don't hurry.

At one point Kartik was about to stumble off the stool, that Naira held his hand tightly.

Just then, the lights turned on and their moment broke.

*******************

I hope you enjoyed the chapter.

Please vote and comment!

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

56.6K 2.6K 20
It's a story about two most loved couple Kartik and Naira. They had love marriage. But does love still last in their marriage or is wipes out..?? Pee...
698K 34.9K 60
" If I know what love is, It's because of you! " ❤ ----------------- " Will You be my bride? " I was astounded. What!? Bride!! " I'm sorry. Are you...
14.1K 1.2K 15
Naira Singhania..born as Singhania but abandoned at birth by her father she grew up with her grandparents the Maheshwaris at Mussorie was a simple gi...
163K 6.6K 42
"Don't you like it, when I'm close to you?" He said. "No" She replied. "Then why don't you jerk off my hands whenever I hold yours?" "I trust you." ...