Consuming Fire

By IsabellaModra

*AVAILABLE ON AMAZON* The third in the ROUGE series ... 'The true heroes are the ones who have courage, even... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Reviews
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 34 (copy)
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Hunger
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Epilogue (Part 1)
Epilogue (Part 2)
The End
Interview with the Author
COMPETITION - CLOSED
THE WINNERS

Chapter 81

1.9K 198 8
By IsabellaModra

There was a sound of stone grinding and when they looked down, the bunker doors were opening. The soldiers signaled for entry and they ran down the dirt slope and into the bunker.

Instantly, there was gunfire. Joshua's heart leapt into his chest. The bunker was huge, an old war aircraft to the left and dusty equipment and crates to the right. Straight ahead of them, Chinese soldiers were firing at their soldiers. Two soldiers on his left went down. Imogen threw up a force field against them. Once the bullets couldn't penetrate her force field, the gunfire ceased.

Through the clear haze, Joshua could see only half a dozen Chinese soldiers. The rest were Agents and mutants, jumping from all directions in their ragged clothing.

"Marcus," said the Captain in a low tone. "Once we can get a clear opening, I need you to go with my left team to the control room to power down the bunker."

He nodded.

"The rest of us will need to take out these men if we want to go deeper."

"Yes sir," they nodded.

At that moment, something hit the ground beside the soldiers near to Joshua and he looked down to see a black, egg-shaped object.

Joshua's heart stopped.

"GRENADE!" he screamed.

Everyone dove for cover. Imogen spun and threw out her hands just as the grenade exploded.

Bright, white light obliterated around them. Joshua was thrown backwards. He hit a soldier and then went flying into a nearby crate.

His ears rung. Everything around him was still clear, so nothing had been destroyed. He stumbled to his feet and found Imogen lying on the floor around a stain of black smoke. He didn't know if she was alive or if the force had killed her.

The bodies of several soldiers were burnt and crisp on the ground. Not a meter from them was Koko's disfigured body. She'd been killed by the blast. Joshua's heart sunk, but he didn't have time to care, for it was then that the real fight began.

They were suddenly rained upon by gunfire. One soldier went down. They only had a dozen left, including the military officials who had joined them. Imogen could no longer protect them from the bullets.

The soldiers opened fire from behind anything they could protect themselves from. The sun was blazing through the bunker door behind him. He saw the soldiers shield Marcus toward a door on the far right, but their path was blocked by Agents. The soldiers attacked with their weapons but Marcus attacked with brute force, not electricity. His combat skills were more impressive than some of the men Joshua had trained with. He took down two Agents at a time and the soldiers shot the other.

A mutant was running at him. He was terrifying to look at and far more pale than Joshua had ever been, which was definitely a surprise because Joshua often compared the paleness of his skin to that of a piece of paper or a stick of chalk. The mutant's red eyes bore down on him and suddenly, he had whipped out his knives – or were they his fingers? – and was waving them in Joshua's face.

Joshua backed up a few steps, ducked under his right hook and threw a punch to the slasher's gut. He doubled over but sliced a large gash in Joshua's leg at the same time, causing him to stumble back with a yelp.

"Iceman, Iceman," the mutant chanted as he put one hand on Joshua's chest and pushed him to the side wall. The fight was in full-force before him, but he could only see the red eyes of the mutant who had him cornered. "Iceman wants some Dice, does he?"

Joshua didn't know what this man used to be like before he was mutated in one of Dr. Wolfe's sick experiments, and if the situation were any different, maybe he'd try to save him. But like himself, when his power warped his mind and there was no stopping him, Joshua would have wanted someone to put him down too.

"I'm sorry Dice," said Joshua. With a breath of air he formed an icicle and was about to drive it through the man's heart when he felt a sting in his neck. A raspy voice whispered in his ear as unconsciousness came over him.

"You're needed elsewhere, Iceman."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

809 1 23
Queen Emalia is beautiful but has taken over the throne and is a cruel leader, willing to stop at nothing. With her powers, she kills anyone in her w...
5.8K 188 43
This story is back on Wattpad! ** Highest rank: #2 in superheroine ** "It's a lovely ending to the best superhero book I have ever read." - @Allan531...
101K 4.7K 38
In a world torn between heroes and villains, it can be a dangerous and hostile place. Some take comfort in the Gifted that stand up against those wh...
464K 66.1K 60
Little Sember stole readers' hearts in "Siena." Join her now, ten years later, as she embarks on a quest of her own to save her people, and to finall...