Chapter 45

Jenny had been sitting for hours in the control room, waiting for Zac and the SSS team to return, praying that the mission was successful. But most of all, she hoped she would see Joshua again.

One of the SSS workers had opened up the gigantic hatch windows, displaying a beautiful view of the Nevada desert and hills stretched out under a starry sky. She was alone; Eli had gone off to the Lair, as had most of the others she'd been introduced to. The Captain and his crew were around somewhere. Only she remained to wait for the return.

So when she saw the lights of the jet blink in the distance, her heart started to pound. She sat down at the control desk and picked up a pair of headphones.

"Red Cherry, this is Base, come in."

A crackling came through in her ear and then she heard Amelia's clear tone.

"Base, this is Red Cherry. We're about to make our final descent. We have a very full cockpit, over."

Jenny sighed in relief. But was very full completely full? She just had to be patient.

"Roger that, Red Cherry. Over and out."

She followed the jet as it soared toward the compound, the engine a dull hum in the background. The Captain, Mark and a few others joined her in the communications room. Eli looked wide-eyed and hopeful.

"They made it?" he asked.

Jenny nodded, ringing her hands together as they watched the door. She imagined Joshua leading a group of bloodied and bruised kids, but as the seconds wore on, she began to worry.

"Are you nervous?" she asked Eli.

"Should I be?"

"Hunter may be with them."

Eli stared at the door. "A part of me is scared that all my memories will come flooding back when I see her."

"Why's that?"

"Because it will ... complicate things."

Jenny smiled. "I know you and Amelia have been getting along well lately. But you can't stop real love. If all your memories come back, you'll know that you and Hunter are meant to be."

"You're right. What about you?"

"Me?"

"And Joshua? Is it love?"

For a moment Jenny paused, waiting for an answer to come. Perhaps it was love, but she didn't want to put a label on it. Labels squeeze things into a box they're much too big for. Whatever she and Joshua had, it was complicated and messy and too wonderful to describe.

She was saved from having to answer when the heavy steel doors began to open, and the Impossibles returned.

Ahead of the group was Chevie, not with his usual five-star smile and cheery demeanor. He nodded to her and the Captain, telling them that the mission was successful. Then came Ace, Illya, Koko and Zokani, followed by Yung, who had a young girl wrapped in his arms. She was the time traveler who helped Joshua get Hunter back.

Behind them came a boy of about Eli's age with stocky features holding the hand of a small girl with auburn curls who was dragging her feet, nodding off so much that the boy had to pick her up and carry her over his shoulder. He looked as though he'd lost someone.

At that moment, Dr. Mark saw the girl and cried out, "Imogen!"

"Daddy?" said the girl sleepily and she turned around in the boy's arms. Mark ran to her, practically wrenching her away, and cradled her against him.