Black & White-English Version

Neya_Pan द्वारा

"The world isn't just black and white" That's a nice statement, but since I got stucked here I think exactly... अधिक

1-Burning building
2-Dead or Alive
3-Hide and Seek
4-Tag
5-Human Elevator
6-The Beach
7-Chishiya's plan
8-Distance
9-Confessions
10-Arisu
12-The party
13-On the roof
14-The playing cards
15-Witch hunt, part 1
16-Witch hunt, part 2
17-The subway station
18-The King of Spades
19-At the swimming pool
20-The Jack of Hearts, part 1
21-The Jack of Hearts, part 2
22-Tales of the past
23-The Jack of Clubs
24-The Queen of Diamonds
25-Kuina
26-The Queen of Clubs
27-The waiting
28-The shooting
29-The King of Spades, again
30-Agony
31-Accept or Decline
32-Joker, part 1
33-Joker, part 2
34-Back home
35-A new life
36-Acknowledgements + Bonus
37-BIG NEWS

11-The three cups

863 20 1
Neya_Pan द्वारा

Before proceeding with the plan, Chishiya and I had to renew our Visas, which were due to expire that evening.

The other Arenas had been found and only the 10 of Hearts was missing, so we would be playing an "old" Game.

"Sooner or later everyone returns to an Arena they've been to before, if they're at the Beach." Chishiya told me.

"Speak for yourself, for me it's the first time."

"We'll be participating together, so you have nothing to worry about."

"Now, aren't you overestimating yourself?" I teased him.

He laughed. "I mean, I'll explain the Game to you before we get there and we'll do some practice."

I got up and started doing some stretching.

Chishiya looked at me puzzled, then he held back a laugh. "What are you doing?"

"I stretch." I answered, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. "You just told me we have to train."

Chishiya was laughing.

"What's so funny?" I stopped doing my exercises and looked at him.

"Sorry, I should have been a little more specific." Chishiya stopped laughing, but kept smiling. "The training we'll do, it's not going to be physical, but mental."

I did my maths and realized where he was headed.

"You're out of your mind if you think I'm going to play a Game of Diamonds!" I sat on the bed next to him.

"I guessed they weren't your strongest point." He looked at me.

"So?" I looked at him too. "Is this some kind of joke? Because it ain't funny."

"You underestimate yourself. Your logic is perfectly capable of dealing with a Game of Diamonds." He told me. "It's also true that your way of thinking is a little different from mine, and that's why I find it very interesting."

"But Chishiya..."

"We'll train all afternoon and you'll see that there's nothing to worry about." He reassured me. "Also it's just a 2 of Diamonds, so the Game is relatively simple."

When he finished the sentence, I took the pillow and threw it at him.

"Ouch!" He protested. "And this why?"

"Because, you could have told me it was a 2!" I looked at him, feigning offense. "I thought you were going to drag me to another 7."

We both burst out laughing and I have to say that laughing with him, was a whole new thing.

"Plus, it's also a way to show you that you can really trust me." He looked into my eyes. "The thing I told Arisu about his unrealistic dream, wasn't the truth."

"I know."

We were enchanted to look at each other and without realizing it, our faces got closer. I roused myself from the spell. As much as I wanted what might have happened if I hadn't moved, now it wasn't the time. I had to focus on the next Game and only then, I could have reassessed the situation.

Chishiya cleared his throat as if he thought the same thing.

"Well, then." I said. "Explain to me this 2 of Diamonds."

"So, we'll need these first." He got up and walked to the desk; then he took three red paper cups and a ping pong ball and sat down on the floor. "Come here."

I sat opposite him.

"Wait, isn't this-"

"Yes, that's the Game." He interrupted me.

"I used to play it a lot as a kid." I confided in him, feeling more confident.

"Perfect." He smiled. "Then, it'll be even easier."

"Yes, but here if I'm wrong I could die." I reminded him.

"You won't go wrong." He reassured me. "And now I'll tell you a trick."

I sat up straighter and listened to him.

"It is statistically proven that most people tend to choose the right cup if they write with that hand, the left one if they are left-handed and only a small percentage choose the middle one."

"Okay..." I said, not quite getting the point.

"I'm telling you this for two reasons: the first is that people can't keep their attention on the ball for very long and when the cups start moving, they tend to mess up almost immediately, especially if you move them very fast. In the end, they always answer with right or left, because the middle seems a too obvious answer according to the human mind." He explained. "The second reason, is that you have to choose the correct cup only in the first round; if you win it, you will be the one to move the cups in the other two and if your opponent doesn't guess correctly, you win the Game. Is that clear?"

"So, if I win the first round, the Game is in my hands then." I said.

"Exactly." Chishiya was satisfied. "And you won't even have to think, because whoever is your opponent will hide the ball in the right or left cup."

"Wait, didn't you just say those are the ones people tend to pick?" I was starting to get a little confused.

"Yes, but it's also a reverse strategy because they're what people tend to use as a hiding place as well." Chishiya placed the ball under the cup to his right. "Now, imagine I'm a beginner and I don't have any kind of strategy, leaving it to chance."

He started moving the cups and I tried to remember where the ball was.

"It's still to the right." I said, quite sure of my choice.

Chishiya raised his cup and the ball was there. "Exactly."

"But I'm not sure I understand." I scratched my head.

"A Player with no strategy and newbie with Diamonds' Games will tend to hide the ball under the cup of the hand he uses to write, and after he has moved the cups, at a normal speed so as not to get lost in turn, he will keep it somewhere he thinks is safer." He opened his right hand. "That is, under the cup that he holds with the hand with which he has the best grip."

"That's the one he writes with." I seemed to understand. "But how can I figure out which one is it?"

"Simple, you have to ask him before the Game starts." Chishiya replied. "His full attention will be directed to his opponent, that is you, and he will answer you without even realizing it. He won't have the slightest idea that with his answer, he's giving you the victory."

I narrowed my eyes as I thought. "And the speech you gave me on the choice instead?" I tried to remember what he'd said. "If I win the first round, they will always choose either the left or right cup, only this time I'm in control of the Game."

"I see you got it." Chishiya smiled at me. "Then, all you have to do is hide the ball under the middle cup for both of the following rounds."

"There's only one thing that doesn't add up." I said. "How can I be sure that my opponent will start the first round and not me?"

"Because you're going to tell him to start." He explained to me. "The rules of the Game say that it is up to the Players to decide who goes first, so you'll tell your opponent to start. He will take it as an offer and think he has the advantage, therefore he'll let his guard down and do exactly what I told you . And you'll win."

"Okay, so to recap, I have to first get my opponent to start and ask him what hand he writes with before Game Start." I said. "Then, choose the cup that he holds in the dominant hand, that he will have just told me, and in the other two rounds I have to hide the ball in the middle cup."

"All right, except one thing."

"What?"

"You must choose an inexperienced Player."

"Right."

"But for that, I'll help you." Chishiya said. "And in any case, remember to be careful and never take your eyes off the cup when you have to choose it; while when you move them, always keep the right one under your left hand and put it in the middle just at the very end, but don't stare at it."

"Okay, I think I got it all." I looked at Chishiya. "Well, for a relatively simple game, it's a mess."

"It takes logic." Chishiya smiled. "And most people don't use it, that's why they lose."

We spent a couple of hours practicing, taking breaks every now and then, until it was time to go.

Back in our Players attire, with hoodies of opposite colours and hood raised on our heads, we really looked like a team this time.

We got into a car, where there was no one else and I noticed that the driver was Hisao, the boy from the 4 of Clubs.

"Hey." He greeted us.

"Hello." I returned the greeting, while Chishiya said nothing.

"How are you?" He asked me.

"Good enough." I answered for me and Chishiya.

"Your friend doesn't talk?" Hisao joked.

"He's just focused." I said. "A Game of Diamonds awaits us."

"Oh, I see. I'll leave you to think then." Hisao looked back at the road without speaking anymore.

After about twenty minutes, we arrived at the Arena, which was a fairly large gymnasium.

Chishiya and I got out of the car and walked towards the entrance.

"Good luck." Hisao wished us.

"Thank you." I smiled at him.

"I'm surprised he's still alive." Chishiya said after a while.

I didn't have time to reply because he said "So, there will be 40 Players to form 20 pairs. We will play separately, but we'll make it."

"So only the 50% will live".

"Even though it's a 2, it's still a cruel Game." Chishiya reminded me . "At first we stay together while we choose the opponent, then when the Game starts, we go to two tables far from each other."

"Why?" I asked in surprise; I was convinced that we would play next to each other.

"Because, we mustn't get distracted." He gave me a crooked smile.

"Oh."

He was absolutely right. If we had been close, I would surely have been distracted; but the thought that he too could get distracted because of me, made me feel the butterflies in my stomach come alive.

I put away that feeling and set my mind on the strategy for the Game.

We passed the red lasers and went to get the cell phones. There were still 8 Players left, so while we waited, Chishiya chose our opponents; a boy and a gentleman who seemed very lost.

I had to become selfish and cruel again like in the 7 of Hearts, because even though I knew my opponent was going to die in the end, I couldn't afford to feel emotions.

As soon as the last Players arrived, the metallic voice announced the Game.

Difficulty: 2 of Diamonds

Game: The three cups

Rules: You will have to guess under which cup the ball is hidden. The Game will take place in three rounds and in each, of you can choose your opponent. Clear conditions: win more rounds than the opponent.

Time limit: Each match has its own individual duration. At the end of the game it will be Game Over for the Player who lost.

Realizing it wasn't a team Game, those in a group went looking for someone they didn't know. 

Chishiya and I got close to our targets, me to the boy and he to the gentleman.

Once all the couples were formed, we headed to the tables that had been set up inside the gym. 

Each of them had a letter and a number, one for each side and which identified the Player.

The boy and I sat near the entrance, while Chishiya and the gentleman at the opposite side of the gym.

As soon as we were all seated, two metal hooks blocked our ankles to the legs of the chairs and two more, our thighs to the seat. After that, the screen lit up, showing the table layout and the number-letters of the Players. I was 5B, my opponent was 5A.

Even though the strategy was clear to me and my opponent was clearly a beginner, my palms were still sweaty.

The metallic voice announced to choose who would start and once everyone decided it was Game Start.

"You start." I told the boy.

"Okay." He was surprised and as Chishiya told me, he believed I was giving him an advantage.

And always as our strategy foresaw, before he started I asked him. "Are you left handed?"

He looked very confused by that question, but he answered. "No."

In fact, he put the ball under the cup that he was holding in his right hand and started moving the glasses at an average speed.

Chishiya had foreseen that too. He was a freaking genius! And this thing made him incredibly attractive too.

I kept my eyes fixed on the right cup and when the boy stopped, the ball was still there. Everything as per manual.

"It's here." I said, touching the right cup.

The boy was sad and worried as he raised his cup, revealing the ball.

I took it. "Now it's my turn."

Part two of the strategy had begun: I hid the ball in the left cup and held it in my hand until the end, moving the other two with the right hand and staring at those. Only at the very end, I did put the cup I was still holding with my left hand, in the middle.

The boy chose the one on the left. I lifted it up, revealing that there was nothing underneath.

"Damn it!" He was starting to despair and I fought with my emotions and went completely numb. A perfect poker face.

Every now and then, I heard the metallic voice announcing Game Overs and Game Clears, but I didn't get distracted. I didn't even turn to look for Chishiya. Even though I knew he was going to win, part of me wanted to check, but I stopped myself from doing it.

I repeated the strategy and the boy chose the cup on the right.

"No!" He screamed.

He tried to fight back and fell, still clinging to the chair. After a few seconds, the red laser beam hit him, killing him.

Palyer 5A, Game over. Player 5B, Game Clear. Congratulations.

I didn't turn to look at the boy on the ground or at anyone else. I went straight to the exit.

I took a deep breath and put my hand on my heart. I hated these Games and their cruelty, but I had to survive and that, often meant I had to sacrifice others.

I saw Chishiya leaning against the wall, with his white hoodie and the hood up. He was staring at me, but he didn't move.

*Alexa play There's Nothing Holding Me Back by Shawn Mendes.* (Min 1.19-end)

So it was I who went to him, or rather ran to him. The Game was over and I didn't care about anything anymore, neither to mask the emotions, nor to pretend that there was nothing between me and Chishiya, nor if there were people who'd have seen us. Here, everyone was unknown and I finally felt free to be the real me, even if it wouldn't have lasted for long.

Chishiya smiled at me and when I was in front of him I rushed into his arms, crushing him in a hug. He reciprocated and hugged me tightly.

We rested our heads on each other's shoulders and I closed my eyes. I inhaled his scent and in that moment, the butterflies had turned into fireworks crackling wildly.

My heart felt. After all those months, it felt something. And what I felt was something powerful that I had never felt even in the real world; it was love.

I gave myself up completely to that feeling, forgetting where I was.

We had finally overcome the distance we had maintained until now, feeling comfortable invading each other's space. There was no need for words because our hearts spoke the same language now, perfectly in tune.

We remained embraced for a long time, sorrounded by that magic.

Slowly, we pulled away and looked into each other's eyes; we were both smiling and our cheeks were red. Neither of us quite knew what to say.

"I knew you would make it." He then said.

"Oh, really?" I teased him. "Did you have any doubts?"

"Absolutely not." He caressed my cheek and I took his hand.

"Pretending will be much harder out there, now." I said, my eyes glued to his.

"I know, but we have no choice." He told me, his eyes now set on my lips. "We have to hold on a little longer."

He pulled me towards him and we hugged again, then he took my hand and we started walking, going around the gym to get back to the entrance.

Just before rounding the corner, we left each other hands, though our feelings still pervaded our minds.

*Alexa stop*

We got into the car trying not to smile too much.

"You're safe!" Hisao greeted us, happily. Then, he started driving without saying anything else.

Chishiya and I had established that there should be zero physical contact, but our legs couldn't help but touch as the car jolted a bit.

Arriving at the Beach, we found Kuina waiting for us.

We said goodbye to Hisao and went to her.

She looked at us for a moment, then said. "Something has definitely changed here." She then turned around and started walking. "And tonight we're going to celebrate."

After, she stopped abruptly and turned around. "And I won't take no for an answer."

Chishiya and I looked at each other, then he shook his head laughing. "Fine."

A little fun wouldn't have hurt us...

Yep, something has changed between our protagonists (finally hahaha) and get ready because the next chapter will be WILD and we'll have some fun ;)

See ya on Sunday Players! 

p.s. if you wanna give my story a little star, you'd make this writer very happy. THANK YOU ♥️

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

944 21 7
When Chishiya realizes that to clear this game he would have to team up with Niragi he wasn't exactly excited. (I do not own these characters, this...
1.2M 71.2K 145
[Check my profile for the new version of this story!!] [This is so... I wrote this when I was 16 😭] [KnY Various x Isekai!Reader] If you're honest w...
2.5K 96 7
** I do not own Alice in Borderland or any of the characters. I only own Daigo Kana. That being said, this story roughly follows the timeline of the...
6.7K 176 15
You were friends with Chishiya when you both were born because Chishiya's mom was friends with your mom. You and Chishiya grew up together and happi...