The Assignment

By chemhappyslytherin

Love. When the Assignment happens, it is a matter of chance. But what happens when there are Unassigned love... More

Chapter 1: Unassigned
Chapter 2: The Assignment
Chapter 3: Unwilling
Chapter 4: Assigned
Chapter 5: Undoubtable
Chapter 6: Awkward
Chapter 8: Advised (Part 1)
Chapter 8: Advised (Part 2)
Chapter 9: Apprehended
Chapter 10: Understanding
Chapter 11: Absence
Chapter 12: Unrequited
Chapter 13: Allocated
Chapter 14: Unadulterated

Chapter 7: Undecided

18 2 0
By chemhappyslytherin

Emmaline's POV

I woke up to the warm rays of sun shining through the window. Stretching my sore muscles, I rolled over in bed and snuggled farther into the blankets. I yawned and hoped that sleep would find me once more. No such luck, because then I was harshly awakened.

Sitting up in a flash, I realized that the walls that surrounded me were not the brown and blue ones of my room. They were a darker, ocean blue, and gave me a larger space than that of my room.

Suddenly, all of the events from yesterday flooded my mind. Important, life changing things that happened previously. The Assignment. Losing Haden. Being Assigned to someone else... Christopher. I should probably go talk to him.

I almost headed out the door when I realized that I needed some different clothes. There was a green tee on the floor that I assumed belonged to Chris. I was still too tired to put on actual clothes, so I just put his shirt on like a dress. I knew it would make him happy, anyways.

Cracking open the door slowly, I tiptoed to the kitchen. Following the smells of eggs and bacon, I slowly made my way. I wondered if it was Chris cooking, because I could hear a pan being moved around on the stove.

I peeked my head around the wall, just taking in the sight of him cooking. He looked good shirtless, bent over the stove cooking. I stood there for a while before making my presence known.

"The food smells great." I enthused, walking over to the stove. I then realized that I was starving.

He jumped about a foot in the air, looking around at me. "Um, yeah. Sorry. I should have put on a shirt or something before I started cooking, huh?" He said, scratching the back of his neck.

"Oh, no, it's fine. I really don't mind. I'm used to it." I explain, sitting down at one of the barstools. "Is breakfast almost ready?"

He didn't answer, instead he pulled out a blue ceramic plate and began putting food on it. I got chessy, scrambled eggs and crisp, applewood smoked bacon. It was delicious, and I was in heaven.

He stood behind the counter and poured me some orange juice before serving himself. He put the same on his green plate, but a smaller portion. It was all that was left of the food. He began eating, standing behind the counter.

"You know that you can sit beside me, right? I don't bite on Saturdays!" I joked. "And you didn't have to give me all of the food, either. You can have some of mine." I tried, scooting my plate over to him.

"No, you need it." He insisted, giving me my plate back. "I'll sit beside you, but I'm not taking your breakfast." He laughed. It was almost like he though I was being silly for even asking.

When he took the seat beside me, I asked him something, something that I needed to know.

"What happened after the movie last night?"

"Well," He spoke softly, "You cried yourself to sleep in my arms. When I was sure that you were asleep, I carried you back to bed. I laid with you for a few minutes, hoping that it would maybe comfort you, even while sleeping. Then, I came back and crashed on the couch. I wouldn't sleep in the same bed with you without your permission. I made you a promise," He paused. "But if you want me to, I can." He added quickly.

I nodded, taking the idea into consideration. I didn't think that I would let go of Haden that quickly, but, if he didn't come for me, I don't think I would be so upset. Every word that Chris spoke made me fall for him more, and I couldn't stop myself. It had only been a day since I had first met him. He was just so sweet, perfect, even. Like he would be the death of me.

He looked at me, waiting for me to speak. I knew that he was still too shy around me. I wished that there was a way to help him with that.

After I finally decided, I took his hand in mine. He flinched but he didn't pull away. "Thank you for being a great friend so far." I smiled, patting his hand. My response was most appropriate, I had to let him know that I wasn't quite ready for that step. And I also had to reassure him he was still doing everything right. Boys are complicated.

"You, too." He whispered, barely audible, even in the silence of our house. He gave me a half smile. Almost.

"Hey," I said, jumping up. "Let's go try the beach, it'll be fun!" I tugged on his hand. Three times. "Come on, I'm serious." I let go and walked over to the sink so I could wash my breakfast plate. I sighed, just waiting. I smiled to myself.

"What's wrong?" Chris asked, his voice hinting alarm.

I sighed again. "Oh, nothing. I just really wanted to check out the beach. That's all. But, if you don't wanna go, you don't have to. It's alright." I shrugged.

"I'll be getting ready if you change your mind." I trailed off, walking away.

When I got back to my room, I locked the door and began looking through the large dresser. As I had already figured, the top two drawers were mine.

The government allowed us to bring only a few things from our own collections, such as select clothes and personal items. Everything else we had to leave behind. So when I began looking for a swimsuit, none of them I recognized.

Most were really scanty, barely there kind of outfits. It was embarrassing to even look at them. One pieces with cutouts or holes, and really tiny bikinis. The one that I was holding up was see through mesh!

Suddenly, I heard a knock on the door. I quickly dropped the bottoms up back into the drawer and shut it firmly. "One second!" I called out, searching through the third drawer for Chris.

I unlocked the door and pinched the trunks between two fingers. "Here." I all but shoved his swim suit at him before locking the door back frantically.

Resuming my search for something more modest, I came across a strapless sea green bikini that wasn't so bad. It looked like something that I would want to wear to a beach party, and I admired the flawless fit. So, I decided on that.

Quickly changing into my outfit, I found my sunglasses and a floppy hat from the expansive closet. I grabbed a towel from the ensuite and a thin sheet from the linens closet to lay out on the sand. A bottle of sunscreen and a tote bag and I was ready to go.

I unlocked the bedroom door and he was there. He had him arms over his chest, like he was cold, or shy. Which I knew that he was.

"You ready?" I asked, leaning up against the doorway. He studies me for a moment before answering. "Yeah, I'm ready. Do you have everything? He smiles, noticing my large bag.

"Yep. Let's go." I took his hand and led him to the back of the room. The pearl white French doors glided open before us, letting in the salty beach air. I breathed in deep, remembering the last time that I visited the beach with my parents.

I stepped out onto the cool, shaded patio tiles. They felt very nice under my bare feet. I took a few more steps until the stones ended and my feet were in the hot sand. Putting on my aviators, I let the sun rays shine on me and felt myself unwind. All of the steps just went away.

The beach was almost artifically real. I saw no other beach goers, or their towels and umbrellas. As I walked across the warm sand, it was pillow soft underneath me.

The short distance from the house to the water was convinient, but also unnatural. I was confused. Like the whole beach was centered around sex appeal. I shuddered. Gross. The gentle waves that broke were warm, like bath water. It lead me to wonder if this was all just a simulation.

As soon as the thought came into my head, it vanished. A strong, warm pair of arms wrapped around my waist from behind. They pulled me in close. I relaxed against his chest for a moment and then turned around to face him.

I took both of his hands in mine, looking him in the eyes. "Chris, can I say something?" I didn't wait for his answer. "Look, I think that I may like you." I paused.

"I'm just not really ready to sleep in the same bed with you, or be held in your arms, or do any coupley stuff. I'm asking for time. I need to recover, I need to talk to Haden. If or when he comes for me, I'll tell him that I have feelings for both of you. I just wish that there was an immediate way to discuss things with him. There's not, though. I just need time to cho-"

He put a finger to my lips, telling me to hush. "I know, Em, I know. I will wait for you to decide. Don't worry, I won't do anything that you don't want me to, I promise. Now quiet, let's enjoy the beach."

We sat at the edge of the water, letting the waves splash over us. Although he did leave space between us, I felt too close to him.

"So, do you like sand dollars?" He asks casually, drawing patterns in the sand with his finger. A small smile graced my lips as I nodded. I loved sand dollars, they reminded me of the times where we were still a happy family. Long, hot days on the beach, collecting shells and playing in the ocean.

He stood up, offering me a hand. I gladly took it, wondering where he could be taking me. Slowly, I followed him into the water.

"Why are you taking me into the ocean?" I asked curiously.
"You'll see."

We were about waist deep in the water when it started to get shallow again. It was probably a sand bar, or maybe the area that we had just wandered through was a hole.

Chris came to a sudden stop; now it was shallow enough that he sat in the water, coming up to his chest. He tugged on my hand that he was still holding and pulled me down with him.

I had accidentally sat on something, feeling the thin she'll snap underneath me. Surprised, I took it and saw that it was, sure enough, a sand dollar. I shook out all of the little doves into my palm and laughed. "How did you know that we could find these here?" I asked him.

He shrugs his shoulders. "My mom loved the beach, and we would go many times every year. She taught me a lot." He explained. Through his words I could tell that he really missed her.

It was really nice of you to share this with me, you know." I said, turning the little doves over in my hand. "You really didn't have to."

I know, but I wanted to. You really do mean a lot to me, even through this little time that we've known each other. And I wanted to share with you some of the other things that mean most to me. Like this." He said, taking another dollar out of the crystal water.

He placed the delicate white circle in my open palm. I traced the star with my index finger, resurfacingnall of the childhood memories. As soon as they entered my mind, I caught a cold current from far out at sea. I shivered.

"Come on, Chris, I'm cold. Can we go back up?" I asked, teeth chattering. He said that we could, so we stood up together and he carried me back. "I'll carry you home, and we'll have a bit for lunch. I'll cook for you." He smiled and kissed my forehead. I nodded into his chest and absorbed his body heat. I closed my eyes trying to savor the moment.

"I love you." I whisper without thinking. "I love you too." Haden says softly. But that voice... it wasn't his.
Then, I realize. Haden is gone.

Oh, Chris, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to say that, it slipped out, I am so sorry." I looked up at him, hoping that he understood.

"It's.. okay. I understand," His face fell. "I knew that you didn't mean it. It's fine." He sets me back on my feet. "I'll make us some lunch. Pasta and maybe a fresh salad? Both the fridge and the cabinets are stocked." Half smiling, he opens the door to go back inside. "I'll call you when it's ready."

And with that, he slinks off away from me, leaving me standing by the open door. I felt so bad for saying that I loved him when I really wasn't sure. It probably hurts him more that it hurt me. What have I done?

I throw myself onto the unmade bed, willing myself to stay strong. I missed Haden, so bad. I started to cry, feeling a few rebellious tears escape from the corners of my eyes.

I hear the door creak open. "Em, it's a counselor here to see you." Chris shakes my shoulder. "Are you okay?" He asks, concerned.

"Yes, I'm fine. Tell them that I'll be there in a second." I said, willing myself to roll out of the comfortable sheets. Chris leaves and shuts the door behind him. I groan and rifle through the stacks of folded clothes in my drawers.

I settle on just a plain tee shirt and a pair of workout shorts, knowing that any good counselor wouldn't care. Then, I brush through the thick, wet snarls on my head. I check my reflection in the full mirror quickly and then go to meet said counselor.

A man in his fifties, with graying hair and sharp outfit, was sitting on our sofa with a briefcase by his side. Upon seeing my arrival, he gets up and greets me warmly. "Christopher, I am here solely for Emmaline, to see if she is adjusting well to the new situation. A counselor should be coming for you tomorrow, son." He said in a husky voice, aged by time.

Chris ducks his head and leaves, backing out of the room quickly. I am left alone with the man, who now makes himself comfortable on our sofa once more. "You may have a seat, dear." The man motions the loveseat across from him. I awkwardly sit down, being careful not to knock a cup of tea off the table. I assumed that it was his.

"Emmaline, I am Jonathan Markson, but you can call me Jon. The truth is, I'm not even your counselor." He laughs. "I assume that you knew that, because I know that you know who I am."

I nod, my eyes wide. "But... how?" Was all that I could muster. How could Haden's dad have found me out of the thousands of Assignees? How'd he know that I was even with his son? I had so many questions.

"Yes, I know that you have questions, and yes, I'll give you answers." Jon paused. "But first, I have some stuff you should see."

~~~~~

Authors Note//

Sorry for the long wait again. Summer had been really very busy. I thank you all that have put up with the delay and the bad writing. Comments and votes are lovely if you all still think that this book is worth reading. Love y'all!
♡~ Kendall

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.3K 200 18
You think you done finding love but you really not! Back in the N.O.L.A
5 0 4
So a lot of romances have these great characters with minor flaws if any at all who fall in love and get their HEA. But what happens when you fall in...
1.7K 118 14
What happens when you get love at the most unexpected time? what happens when you have to go against the social norms to be with your partner? Kim se...
753 30 21
A story of love and twists. A story of fangirls and their idols. Whatever happens, it will be totally unexpected. AU and slightly OOC.