STARRY EYES ⎯ BRIDGERTON

By Paris_El10

˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥ STARRY EYES ╭┈─────── ೄྀ࿐ ˊˎ- ╰┈➤ ❝ [ You were there when I needed someone ] ❞ ˚ ༘♡ ⋆。˚ ꕥIn which... More

Starry Eyes
act. one
001. Thornharts
002. Tea Party
003. Girl Talk
004. Kiss Ass
005. Decisions
006. Black Sheep
007. Sickness and in Health
008. Worst is yet to Come
009. No Matter What
010. New Addition
011. Grief
012. Recovery
013. One Thing After the Other
014. A Little Too Late
015. Time will Tell
act. two
016. Here we go...Again
017. Reunited
018. Deja Vu
019. Letters
020. Sneak Glances
021. May the best man Win
022. Secret Date
023. Gossip
025. The Vronskys
026. Revelation
027. Betrayed
028. No means No
029. Conflicted
030. Big Question
031. Ultimatum
032. Marriage
act. three
033. The calm before the Storm
034. Awkward Conversations
035. Set the Trap
036. Whose side are you on?

024. Happiness is a Butterfly

3.6K 161 11
By Paris_El10

~Happiness is a Butterfly~

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

Persephone was awoken by her curtains abruptly opening, letting the brightness of the sunshine in her room. As her eyes became accustomed to the light, she found her sister running to her closet, most likely to pick out an outfit for her.

"What's going on and what are you doing in my closet?" Persephone sat up to get a better view of what her sister was doing.

"Persephone, you must get up. We are having a picnic." Athena responded, throwing the dress on top of the bed. "Or did you forget?"

How could Persephone forget? Her sister had been talking about it for days now. Everyone would show up at the park and enjoy the lovely weather while also looking for potential suitors.

"I didn't. I just expected us to leave a bit later." Persephone got out of bed, rubbing the sleep away from her eyes.

"And be the last ones over there? No thank you. We need a perfect spot to set everything down." Athena shook her head, watching her sister take her sweet time getting ready. "Arabella will soon come and finish off your look. You have to look presentable, don't forget you have eyes on you."

Persephone rolled her eyes as she watched Athena walk out. Arabella soon walked in, closing the door behind her.

"She has a point you know."

"Bella, I get it. I understand. I'm just super tired right now." The only thing Persephone wanted at this moment was to sleep all day and not be bothered.

"Lady Whistledown had a lot to say about you and your little date." Arabella teased as she started working on Persephone's hair.

"No doubt about that. I swear she has eyes and ears everywhere." Persephone stated, closing her eyes for a moment.

"She sees potential in you two. Sooner or later there will be wedding bells ringing and the Duke of Salisbury will be off the market." Arabella smiled. Reading the paper this morning gave her a sense of joy. She was sick of the woman talking about Persephone in a negative way.

Persephone smiled as well. The idea of marrying the Duke sounded crazy but not impossible. She just had to wait for the proposal....if there ever will be one that is.

"Well, until he proposes to me. There will be no wedding."

"He'll do it soon enough. I'm sure he's preparing himself to make it grand and big."

"That is, if nobody ruins it." Persephone didn't want to think in a negative way but with Robert ruining things and Daniel up to no good, she could expect anything from them.

"Let's not think about the negatives and think more positives. I'm sure you'll be seeing the Duke today." Arabella took a step back, finishing Persephone off with last finishing touches. "Do you have anything planned?"

Persephone shrugged. "I've honestly thought about hanging out with the girls but Daphne seems a bit more occupied as of late."

Persephone couldn't help but think about the conversation she had with Daphne. It sounded crazy to use each other for their own benefits. On top of that, Daphne did have a lot of suitors but has not picked one yet. Deep down Persephone believes Daphne was starting to fall in love with the Duke but she didn't want to admit it, at least not to them.

Nonetheless, she did want to see the Duke. The more she talked to him, the more she was sure of what she wanted and it was only a matter of time before things changed between them. Persephone didn't know whether to be scared or nervous about it.

"Persephone, we must make haste!" Athena yelled from the bottom of the stairs. No doubt rushing her young sister.

"You best leave before your sister keeps yelling at you."

"She keeps yelling, then I won't go and she'll have to go by herself." Persephone got up from her seat and walked towards her mirror. Looking at herself up and down, no doubt she always loved whenever Arabella got her ready. "Wish me luck?"

"You don't need luck but I hope you have a wonderful day." Arabella gleamed as she gave Persephone a hug.

Breaking out of the hug, Persephone walked out of her room, towards her sister who was waiting at the bottom of the stairs. Persephone could see how annoying her sister was with just the look on her face.

"Took you long enough. Now, let's hope they don't take the good spots." Athena walked out of the house with her sister following closely behind her.

"You need to stop being so dramatic."

⊱ ──────ஓ๑♡๑ஓ ────── ⊰

Luckily enough, the girls did show up just in time for a perfect spot in the park. God knows her sister would have her head on a spike if they didn't have a perfect spot.

As things were getting set up for their spot, Persephone decided to look around for brief moment. To her right, she could see the Featheringtons with their bright flowery dresses. Lady Featherington looking more stuck up than ever. No doubt having concerns with her daughters finding good suitors.

To her far left, she could the Bridgertons playing around. Anthony and his siblings always had a good relationship with one another. One that Persephone admired and had become jealous of. Far from them was Daphne and the Duke of Hastings, no doubt setting up for their plan on faking things between them.

Persephone didn't want to become concerned, but she was. Daphne and the Duke of Hastings were playing a very dangerous game. A game that will cause a lot of sadness and anger. Persephone could only hope Daphne would do the right thing and possibly stop whatever it is she was doing or at least find a suitor fast. It wouldn't take long for people to know, especially Lady Whistledown.

"I'm glad you guys finally arrived. I almost thought you guys wouldn't make it." Naomi voiced out, making Persephone turn to face her.

"Trust me, Naomi, we would have arrived earlier if it wasn't for this one over here taking forever to get ready." Athena glanced at Persephone.

Persephone scoffed. "We're here and you have your perfect spot. There's no point of blaming me for anything anymore."

"Why don't you girls take a walk while we finish setting up?" Athena ignored her sister.

"I was just about to grab Persephone for a walk. I was going to invite Daphne but she seems a bit occuiped." The three girls turned to see the red head still talking to the Duke.

"Very well. Don't miss me too much." Persephone called out to her sister as she started walking away with Naomi.

Once the girls were far from Athena hearing anything, Naomi decided to speak up. "So, how's your investigation?"

"So far, I have nothing but I decided to add Arabella into my investigation. Whatever she sees or hears, I want her to tell me everything." Persephone wasn't upset about not finding anything as of yet. She knew these things took time and patience. Someone was bound to slip up.

"You guys are playing a dangerous game, especially Arabella. What if Daniel finds out what she's doing? No doubt he'll fire both Arabella and Margaret." Naomi didn't want to think negatively but they couldn't rule that out. There was a possibility that Daniel would find out and the only people that would be negatively impacted would be the Clarke's.

"I know. I know. I don't want them to run the risk but I have no choice. With the social season, I've become quite busy." If it wasn't a ball, it was getting fittings for dresses. If it wasn't one thing, it was another. Persephone had too many things going on and she knew she wouldn't have time to investigate herself. "And it's not like she's doing this for free. I want to reward her and her grandmother for all the hard work they have done for me."

During her toughest times, Margaret was always there to guide her and lead her to the right direction. Margaret quickly became a motherly role for the young girl and even if she doesn't know it, she made a huge impact in Persephone's life after her mother's death. Arabella was the icing of the cake. She was a friend and a sister. Someone who she trusted with all her heart.

"And what are you going to give them?" Naomi was curious. What would Persephone gift them?

Persephone shrugged. "As of now, I have a few ideas in mind but in due time you'll know."

"Enough talk about the investigation. Have you spoken to James or Robert?"

Persephone rolled her eyes at the mention of Robert Arrington. "I haven't spoken to James but I'm sure I'll see him here soon enough. As for Robert, I haven't seen him in a while."

Persephone hasn't seen Robert since the Vauxhall celebration and she didn't know whether to be relieved or concerned. She didn't know what to expect from the man. But deep down, she felt like she'll see his arrival soon.

"Honestly, he needs to leave you alone so you can spend your time with the Duke."

"I wish that as well but I'm out of luck. Knowing him, I could be married and he'll still be pursuing me." Persephone chuckled, shaking her head. Let's hope not, she thought.

"Well, let's hope not. That would be dreadful."

Persephone nodded in agreement. "Anyways, what's up with you and your love life?"

It was Naomi's turn to sigh. "I have taken things into consideration. You girls are right. I can't live like my parents or settle for less so I dropped my candidates until further notice."

Naomi didn't want to lead the guys on. Believing that something was going to come out of it. Naomi had to break the cycle. The generational curse. She could no longer settle for someone who she didn't want. Yes, she wanted to strive for someone with status but she also wanted someone because she loved them. If she were to have children, she wanted them to feel loved and want to have a marriage like their parents. Naomi wanted things to be different. She was striving for different.

Persephone eyes widen. "And when did this happen?"

"One of the guys had proposed to me and that was when I realized I couldn't do it. I couldn't lead them on." Naomi explained, retelling the events that took place just a couple days ago. "My mother was furious but my father understood, surprisingly enough."

"Well, I am happy for you. Trust me, you'll soon find a loving man and you won't regret the decision you made." Persephone wrapped her arms around her best friend's shoulder. "Even if that means talking to James to see if has any single friends."

Naomi rolled her eyes, pushing Persephone's arm from around her shoulder. "Oh, shut up."

"I'm sure he has some good looking friends."

"Persephone, don't make me choke you."

"As great as that sounds, I think I'll pass."

⊱ ──────ஓ๑♡๑ஓ ────── ⊰

It didn't take long for the girls to arrive back but as they got closer to the Thornhart's spot, they spotted an unwelcome guest.

"You know, I blame you for this." Persephone huffed, already getting annoyed.

"Me? Why me?"

"Because you mentioned him."

"Well, there's nothing you can now." The girls watched as the man happily waved at them. Instead of waving back, the girls turned back to each other.

"Does the offer of you choking me still stands?"

Naomi chuckled. "I fear it did. Best of luck my dear friend."

Persephone watched Naomi walk away, leaving her no other choice but to face the man she didn't want to see. A man she hasn't seen since the Vauxhall celebration. It was a pity, she actually enjoyed not seeing Robert around.

"Miss Thornhart, it's lovely to see you again. I hope you didn't miss me too much?" Robert greeted the young girl.

"And here I thought I got rid of you for good."

"Persephone, that is no way to speak to Lord Arrington." Athena scolded her young sister. "How would you feel if he spoke to you like that?"

"He doesn't have it in him to do it." Persephone responded back, taking a seat by the shade.

"Lord Arrington, I do apologise for my sister."

"Nonsense, I'm sure with due time she'll warm up to me." Robert discreetly winked at Athena, making Margaret look between the two suspiciously.

Margaret had kept her eyes on Robert ever since she found out about the arrange marriage Francis had set up for Persephone. But from what she has known, Athena didn't know a thing about it. But now, Margaret was starting to think she wasn't so sure. With the look Athena and Robert gave each other, Athena may know more than what she was letting on.

"You know, Miss Thornhart, lots of people are getting married. Wouldn't you like to be one of those?"

"My dream is to get married with a man I love and admire." Persephone watched as Robert cracked a smile, hopeful swimming in his eyes. "And that person isn't you, Lord Arrington. Sorry to burst your bubble."

"I'm sure Miss Thornhart will find a lovely boy she can potentially marry." Margaret added, smiling innocently at the man who dropped his smile. "No doubt, she'll pick a man worth her time."

"Margaret, I didn't know you were so involved in this discussion. Last I believed you were just a nanny and a maiden." Robert glared at the older woman.

"She has more to say in this discussion than you, Lord Arrington. I suggest you respect Margaret before I put you in your place and actually hurt your feelings." Persephone glared at the man. How dare he speak to Margaret that way?

"There's no need to have this discussion, especially here." Athena didn't like the way Robert spoke to Margaret but she also didn't want to create a scene.

"Then I suggest you tell this mutt to respect Margaret. Otherwise, I won't hold back." Persephone wasn't backing down without a fight. "Margaret has always been a part in this family and she will always have a voice in this family."

"Things don't work that way in my home." Robert fought back. "Every maiden knows there place in my home."

"Nobody cares how you run things in your home. At least have some respect towards older women. We all know you lack human decency but at least act like you don't."

There were very few people who Persephone would fight for to no end and Margaret was one of those people. That woman has done everything and more for her and she wasn't going to let anyone try to belittle her in any way. She sure as hell wasn't to going let Robert Arrington of all people do so.

"I apologize, Margaret. I didn't know how important you were to this family."

"What's the point of apologizing if you don't mean it, Lord Arrington." Robert wasn't going to get under her skin. Margaret has always had tough skin and wasn't going to let Robert's words hurt her.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything." James announced himself, feeling the awkward tension between everyone.

"Actually—"

"You're not." Persephone interrupted Robert, ignoring his burning gaze on her side profile. "I was just teaching someone to respect their elders. Seems as though it wasn't taught in their home."

"Ahh. I see." James could only guess it was another one of Robert's own way of digging his own grave. "Then if I'm not interrupting anything. I wanted to take you on a walk."

"She can't—"

"I'll love to." Persephone interrupting Robert once again, turning towards her sister and a smiling Margaret. "Can I go on a walk?"

"Of course. Don't be out too long." Athena advised, ignoring the glare she was receiving from Robert.

"And before I forget." James turned back to the three. "My mother has invited you all to dinner tomorrow evening. I hope you guys could make it?"

Athena eyes widen at the invite. "I would have to speak to my husband but I'm sure we'll love to attend."

"Splendid. I'll be sure to tell my mother and have everything set." James smiled. "Margaret, I would love for you to come as well. Seeing how big you've made an impact on Miss Thornhart, it would be an honor to have you for dinner as well."

"I would love to, thank you." Margaret smiled at the young boy. She knew why Persephone cared so much for the boy.

The two walked away before anyone could say anything else. Persephone took a glance back at her family. Robert looked like he was ready throw a tantrum right then and there.

Turning back ahead, Persephone grabbed a hold of James' arm. "An invite to dinner with your family? You never told me about that."

"Because if I told you, you would have said no or make excuses." James replied, leading their walk.

"Can you blame me? My family can be too much." Persephone didn't know how this dinner would turn out, especially if Daniel would attend.

"I'm sure everything will be fine."

"And how did you even set up this dinner?" Persephone would quite curious to know how things played out to where her and her family were invited to dinner at the Vronskys.

James bit his lips, feeling a bit embarrassed to expose himself. "My mother may or may not have found our letters and asked about them."

Persephone couldn't imagine how James was feeling. Athena knew about the letters but she didn't know what contained those letters. Persephone would be embarrassed as well if she was in James' shoes.

"And what did she say?"

"She wanted to know where my heart was at. Once I told her about you, she wanted to meet you and your family. I couldn't exactly tell her no." James explained, running a hand through his curls. "But I didn't tell her about the obstacles we have."

James felt like if his mother knew everything that has happened between him and Persephone, she would want him to find someone else. Someone who didn't have so many problems. James was far too deep with Persephone to just start over again. He cared about her and truely wanted to be with her.

"Let's hope they can behave. My nephews can be a bit of mess and Daniel could be a major asshole."

"I'm sure my family can handle them." At least James hope they can.

"I'm also glad you invited Margaret to dinner. She may not be family but she's pretty much is."

"I mean you've told me lots of things about her and how she's made a huge impact in your life. I couldn't not invite her." James truthfully spoke. "She was a motherly figure in your life."

"She wasn't just a nanny or a maiden. She really cared about us and our well being. When my mother died, she understood I needed someone. Athena had my dad and I was pretty much left with no one." Persephone confessed, taking a seat on a bench. "She became someone who I admired and trusted. I will always thank her for being there for me when I was feeling down."

"She's an amazing woman." James taking a seat next to Persephone.

Persephone watched the scenery in front of her. The weather was perfect. The roses, perfectly planted on the ground. The butterflies flying around the roses.

"You know." Persephone began, still watching the butterflies. "My mother once told me if she were to die, she would come back as a butterfly and everytime I see butterflies, I think of her. I think of her watching over me and it feels less painful."

Persephone could never get over the death of her mother. A painful experience that she wished no one would face. Her mother was everything to her and never imagined to live a life without her. But after she had passed away, she had no other choice. Persephone had to move on with her life. She had to pretend that her mother's absence didn't bother her but it did.

Everyday she would wake up, hoping things were just a dream. Hoping that when she would walk down the stairs, she would hear her mother's voice. Hoping to see her in the garden planting flowers. Hoping to hear a bedtime story before she would go to sleep. But reality would kick in and she knew her mother wouldn't be there.

"Tell me about her. About your mother." James knew this was a touchy subject but he hoped that by talking about her, Persephone wouldn't feel so empty.

"My mother was a grand woman. Had a weird obsession with greek mythology. She had a soft voice but when she was angry, she would be way scarier than a man ever could." Persephone laughed. "She was an amazing mother. I hope to be half the woman she was."

"You don't need to be anyone, Persephone." James grabbed a hold of Persephone's hands so that she could see him. "You're perfect the way you and I'm sure you'd be a perfect wife and a perfect mother. But I'm sure your mother will be happy with the woman you turned out to be."

As they continued to watch the scenery in front of them, Persephone could only think about her mother. Would her mother be proud of the woman she has become? Would everything be different? More challenging or easier? All Persephone could do was imagine because her mother was truly gone and she would never know everything that was going on in her life. She just hoped that wherever she was, Rachel Thornhart would feel peace.

⊱ ──────ஓ๑♡๑ஓ ────── ⊰

! Author's Note !

─◌✰್ I hope everyone is having a good year so far. So many things happening in this chapter but my favorite part is definitely with Persephone opening up to James. I honestly love those two.

─◌✰್ Anyways, next chapter we will be having dinner with the Vronskys!!! I'm not sure if you guys want a faceclaim for the Vronskys but for now, you can just imagine anyone you would like. But if you do want a faceclaim for them, please let me know because I have some ideas for them. Pretty soon Persephone will know the truth so be prepared for that bomb to drop.

─◌✰್ Thank you all for reading. Enjoy♡

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.7K 110 14
Duty, Honor, and Loyalty are the words that Anthony Bridgerton deemed to be his virtues. Yet if you were to ask Angel she would list out all his faul...
45.6K 1.4K 13
"I do not wish to marry." 【bridgerton fanfic】 【m! oc x fem! oc】 【s1 - ???】 disclaimer: i don't own bridgerton nor any of its characters. i only own F...
353K 9.2K 57
Lady Florence Huntingdon, daughter of the well-known and more importantly, well-respected Earl and Countess Huntingdon is stepping into the 1813 marr...
78.3K 2.3K 9
{CURRENTLY REWRITING} ▬▬ GUNS AND ROSES. ❝ people do understand the language of the heart, you know, even if the head does not always comprehend it...