Weaving a Song

By Venari

"Your child will be gifted. She will be able to do what even Elves have trouble with. Be warned, she may not... More

Weaving a Song
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118

Chapter 1

9K 190 5
By Venari

c. 2020 Third Age

Thranduil woke the next day with his mind still echoing the words of the messenger sent from the Valar. He sat up and rubbed his hands over his face, his thoughts now racing with anticipation and slight anxiety. Next to him, his wife stirred most likely because their bond was telling her something was different with him. His thoughts went to what might happen to her if what the messenger said was true, and he thought they were. With that in mind, he then wondered at the fate of all of Middle-Earth. It had always been uncertain living where they did in Mirkwood with the Orcs and Spiders and ever encroaching darkness. Now, however, he had been told that all of Middle-Earth hung in the balance.

"Thranduil?" His wife asked concerned now sitting up beside him. Oiolairë could obviously tell that something was wrong.

"Yes?" He asked, straining to sound fine. His pride obviously told him not to tell his wife, that it would end up fine and nothing need be worried about. Then again, messengers of the Valar were not usually something to be ignored.

"We have a strong enough bond so you don't have to lie to me." So Oiolairë was able to read him better than most.

Thranduil sighed. "I had a vision last night… in a way." He paused to let the words sink in. "It was different because I could only hear words, there was no visual. It was a man's voice that came to me and said that he was a messenger from the Valar."

Oiolairë's eyes betrayed the shock that she heard at his revelation. "You've never had such a vision before."

"No… It was quite a new experience." That was the more obvious approach. He realized he still had not revealed what he had actually heard.

"What did he say?" Oiolairë asked, revealing that she had realized as much. Thranduil did not answer for a minute. He was still too confused himself. She will be able to do what even Elves have trouble with. What does that mean? Oiolairë sensed something of what was wrong through their bond.

What is wrong? You seem as if judgment has been decreed on you.

He… he told me something wonderful.

Then why are you hesitant? I thought…

He also told me something dreadful.

(fear pulsed slightly through Oiolairë) Why can't you tell me? What do you mean both wonderful and dreadful?

I fear hurting you. It… it is something you may find… I am unsure of what has happened myself. I wish not to get you excited, only to become full of fear.

Telling me this is not helping. You are only making my imagination wander more. I only wonder what could be so wonderfully dreadful.

(A mental sigh) You are carrying a child, a girl.

(A pause and then sudden joy) How could you possibly not tell me that? What dread is there in that?

He also said that she would have something like a gift, but that she may not survive the coming days. He added that the fate of Middle-Earth hangs in the balance. He finally looked at his wife whose eyes had widened in fear as she touched her stomach.

"She might die?" Thranduil shrugged helplessly. What answer had he to give? He knew nothing besides what had been told to him. He gathered her into her arms as she leaned into him. He felt her tremble slightly, and he held her closer.

"It'll be okay. We can assume she will live quite a long time. Otherwise, what would be the point of giving me a vision?" He paused hoping his own words were true. Then he smiled as his thoughts led him elsewhere. "Besides, we all know Legolas will be thrilled."

Oiolairë laughed, "True enough," she agreed but then sobered quickly. "Perhaps we should wait to tell him."

"Why?" Thranduil asked and then felt a little guilty as Oiolairë turned her eyes from his. He knew Oiolairë's reasons for keeping silent for the moment. He knew she felt she had injured his own pride.

"Just in case…" Thranduil nodded. Besides, by keeping silent, they would make it an even bigger surprise for Legolas later on, not to mention the rest of Thranduil's realm.

"If that makes you happy," he said. She reached up and kissed him.

"It does." Thranduil smiled and then got out of bed and got ready for his kingly duties awaiting him. It would be a long wait for the daughter he always wanted. My little aranel… He thought. Oiolairë then smiled as well, reading his mind. She knew her husband as well as he knew her. He had waited a long time for this child, longer than she had wanted him too. With that, she knew exactly what they should name this girl when she would arrive.

Thranduil?

Yes?

Her name, it should be Almiel. Thranduil smiled as he turned to look at her. She could both see and feel the joy emanating from her husband.

Yes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

165K 6.2K 52
People say that death is not the end. For Evelyn, it's not. After battling cancer for almost four years, death is something that this nineteen year o...
335K 13K 74
Book One "From the time we are born we start making choices. At the time when we are young we learned that our choices come with consequences. Some a...
135K 3.5K 25
[Highest Rank: 1 in Lord Of The Rings] "love is a strange thing. Once it happens, nothing and no one can change it, in any condition.". Niphredil Ele...
28.5K 907 24
Sequel to Celebrimbor's Daughter and Thranduil's Son 70 years later I am Vilya, daughter of Celebrimbor and wife of Legolas Greenleaf, son of Thrandu...