Bravely Courageous

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Marguerite, better known as Maggie, and her brother are no strangers to the supernatural. Long before a loca... More

Aesthetics
Epigraph
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65

25

24 0 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

[So, uh, spur of the moment...]

Season Three

Lydia noticed Maggie and smiled. "Get in. Are you okay?"

Maggie nodded. "Yeah."

Lydia nodded and said, "It is not a double date. It is a group thing."

Allison frowned. "Do they know it's a group thing? 'Cause I told you that I'm not ready to get back out there."

Lydia let out an annoyed sigh. "You were in France and didn't do any dating for four months?" She turned to Maggie. "And you. I barely hear from you, and suddenly you're near my car?"

Maggie shrugged. "I was busy. Sorry."

"You're lying."

"Am not."

"Yes you are."

"Ask my brother. I was."

Allison asked, "Did you? I mean, after..."

"Do not say his name," Lydia retorted.

"Everything was dealt with?" Maggie inquired. "He's okay?"

Lydia sighed again. "Well, the doctors looked like total idiots when he turned up alive, but everyone got over it. And yes, Derek taught him the werewolf 101, like how not to randomly kill people during the full moon."

"So then you've talked to him?" Allison wondered.

"Uh, not since he left for London."

"You mean since his dad moved him to London."

Lydia pursed her lips. "Whatever, he left. And seriously, an American werewolf in London? Like, that's not gonna be a disaster."

Maggie laughed softly. "It sounds like a good bad disaster movie." Lydia shot her a look. "Sorry."

Allison glanced at Lydia. "So you're totally over him?"

Lydia let out a scoff. "Would I be going on a double date if I wasn't? Yes, it is a double date. It's not an orgy. You'll live. Maggie gets a pass this time."

Maggie frowned. "Hey. I'll avoid him for as long as I want to. I didn't want to talk, but his countless texts and calls didn't seem to get that."

Allison turned to her. "But wasn't it sweet?"

"I will spell you."

Lydia glanced at Maggie with a frown. "Be nice."

Maggie rested her head on the window. A blue Jeep caught her attention. "Oh my god," she muttered. "Lydia, drive faster."

Allison glanced at what she looking at and turned to their friend. "Lydia, go! Just go!"

"But the light," Lydia protested.

The light was red, and they were stuck at it, as were the boys. Maggie shrunk deeper into the seat, not wanting to be confronted by either boy. Especially a certain spastic boy who had been calling and texting all summer.

Stiles opened the window, calling out to them.

Lydia ran a red. "You two all right?"

"Wonderful," Maggie muttered.

Allison said after a moment, "Lydia, stop. We need to go back and talk to them."

Maggie glanced back. "Why'd the Jeep stop?"

Lydia sighed. "It's Scott and Stiles. Do you really wanna try applying logic to those two? Maggie, you know that better than any of us."

Maggie rolled her eyes. "I seriously doubt logic is in their vocabulary. Maybe they know something."

She faced forward and something rushed the car. Pieces of glass stuck into her arms. She winced as she pulled them out. As soon as the glass stopped, Maggie opened her door and nearly fell out. She was picked up by two familiar hands.

Stiles studied her and said, "Maggie, your arms."

Maggie's eyes turned to Lydia's car. "It doesn't hurt that bad. That deer ran into us."

Scott ran to Allison to find out if she was okay.

Lydia protested, "Well, I'm not okay. I am totally freaking out. How the hell does it just run into us? I saw its eyes right before it hit us. It was like it... it was like it was crazy."

Scott touched the deer. "No, it was scared. Actually... terrified."

Maggie studied Stiles a moment and gestured to her hair as she said, "You grew it out."

He nodded and smiled. "Yeah. You like it?"

"I, uh, um, yeah."

"Why have you been ignoring me all summer?"

"I have not!"

"Mostly you have."

"So?!"

"Why are you yelling?"

"Why are you being- Stiles, you hurt me. I didn't know what to do."

Stiles replied in a soft tone, "I'm sorry, Maggie."

She met his eyes and gave a small nod. "I forgive you."

At school the next day, Maggie made her way to her locker, which was across from Allison's, and saw that Lydia was there. She stared at the incoming high schoolers. "Freshmen. Tons and tons of fresh men."

Allison shot Lydia a look. "You mean fresh boys."

"They're 14, Lydia," Maggie added.

She shrugged. "Eh, some are more mature than others."

Allison sighed. "You know, it's okay to be single. Focus on yourself for a little while, work on becoming a better person."

Lydia turned to face her. "Allison, I love you. So if you need to do that thing where we talk about me and pretend like we're not actually talking about you, it's totally fine. The same applies to you, Maggie. But I don't want a boyfriend. I want a distraction."

Two boys, who looked older than high school age, walked through the halls. "Brothers?" Allison questioned.

"Twins," Lydia answered.

Allison and Maggie made their way to class. Maggie had taken the seat in front of Stiles, leaving the only empty seat in front of Scott. Caleb was sitting nearby. She pointed to the seat. "Is anyone..."

Scott shook his head. "No, no, no, no. No, it's all you, all yours. Uh, it's totally vacant."

Phones started chiming, including Maggie and Caleb's. A woman said, ""The offing was barred by a black bank of clouds and the tranquil waterway, leading to the uttermost ends of the earth flowed somber under...""

She entered the classroom and continued. ""...an overcast sky, seemed to lead into the heart of an immense darkness." This is the last line to the first book we are going to read. It is also the last text you will receive in this class. Phones off, everyone."

Maggie's eyes widened as she stared at the woman. She turned to Caleb, to see that he had the same worried look.

Scott stood and walked to the door. Ms. Blake followed him out to talk to him.

Caleb glanced down a bandaged wound on Lydia's leg. "Is that from the accident last night?"

Lydia shook her head. "No. Prada bit me." She noticed his and Maggie's expressions. "Are you and Maggie okay?"

Caleb glanced at Maggie. "We'll be fine."

"Your dog?" Stiles questioned.

Lydia shot him a look. "No, my designer handbag. Yes, my dog."

"Has he ever bitten you before?" Maggie asked and Lydia shook her head.

Stiles took a moment to think. "Okay. What if it's, like, the same thing as the deer? You know, like, how animals start acting weird right before an earthquake or something?"

Lydia frowned. "Meaning what? There's gonna be an earthquake?"

"Two animals have gone insane. Something is definitely up," Maggie replied grimly. "And she's here."

Lydia let out a sigh. "It was a deer and a dog." She turned to Stiles. "What's that thing you say about threes? Once, twice..."

Caleb frowned as a bird slammed into the window. "Jinx. Nice, you two."

Ms. Blake cried, "Get down, everyone! Get down, down. Get down!"

Caleb grabbed Lydia and shielded her, and Stiles shielded Maggie. The entire class started freaking out as birds started pecking at people. More birds hit the window, covering it with feathers and blood. A couple birds picked at Maggie's arms, hurting her already sensitive arms, but didn't do too much damage.

As quickly as the birds came, they left. Stiles looked at Maggie. "You got hurt." He studied her expression closely. "Maggie, are you okay? Does whatever's going on with your face have to do with Ms. Blake?"

"I should get patched up," she said simply.

"I'll take you to the nurse," Caleb offered.

The siblings walked down the hall and Caleb asked, "What are we going to do?"

Maggie shook her head. "I don't know."

"Do you think the others know?"

"That she's our mom? No, I don't think so. We have to keep this quiet for now."

"Agreed. You think she knows?"

"I hope not. I mean, our names were changed, so I really hope she doesn't make that connection."

Caleb scoffed. "Our adopted parents die and our crazy biological mother is in town. Aren't we lucky."

They reached the nurse who patched the injured blonde up.

Maggie and Caleb headed to their lockers and met up with Allison and Lydia as the strawberry blonde asked, "Is it me or is Beacon Hills turning into more like a beacon for the totally bizarre and supernatural?"

A woman walked up to them and said to Allison, "Where's Scott McCall? You're Allison, right?"

Allison gave her a slow nod. "Yeah, how do you know..."

The woman interrupted her. "Where's Scott?"

Allison sighed. "He had to leave. He was supposed to be back in class..."

"Is he coming back?"

None of the girls answered. The woman grabbed Lydia's and Allison's wrists. Lydia immediately pulled hers away. "Hey, easy with the physicality, sweetheart." She looked down at her wrist after the woman left. "Ugh. Well, she bruised me."

Allison stared at her wrist. "Huh. Me too."

Argent appeared and said, "Come on, let's get you three girls and young man out of here. School can wait another day." He noticed the look on his daughter's face. "Sweetheart? Hey. You don't have to worry about this anymore. Remember our agreement? We stay in Beacon Hills, but only if we stay out of this. It's not our problem now. Okay?"

---

At Derek's, Scott and Stiles noticed the mark of the Alpha pack on Derek's door.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101K 2.5K 40
"everyone thinks that they know us. but they know nothing about all of this silence and patience, pining and anticipation" in which two childhood fri...
126K 2.7K 54
( ON HOLD ) After being away from Beacon Hills for six years, Marlo Stilinski finally returns but with secrets, talents and a certain someone in her...
19.2K 486 38
【Book One ----- Season One】COMPLETED In which a young girl falls in love with a boy, who loves someone else while trying to figure out the dangerous...
4.7K 264 68
She was living normal high School life. After the bite Anna Edwards was fighting, losing and, loving. Learning to work everything out and learning th...