CotE: The Wandering Misfit

By Raul2114

A series of loosely connected stories tracing a young boy's journey across society, chronicling his impact on... More

Prologue - Sudden Liberation
Chapter 1 - All in a Day's Work
Chapter 3 - Change Does Not Come Easy
A/N

Chapter 2 - Society Is Not All Logical

822 79 59
By Raul2114

As I exercised under the rosy hue cast by the rising Sun, listening to the dawn chorus of melodic birdsong, I noticed auburn and crimson leaves peeking out amidst the greenery.

Fall had arrived. When this fact was combined with my present situation, it gave a new meaning to the English idiom "turn over a new leaf."

I had studied the autumn leaf color phenomenon as part of the White Room's biology curriculum. As night length increases, the production of green chlorophyll pigment within the chloroplasts of leaf cells slows down, eventually stopping entirely. The chlorophyll is then destroyed, unmasking the carotenoids and anthocyanin pigments, leaving them free to show their various colors of red, brown, russet, amber, crimson, and so on, depending on the tree species.

It was a phenomenon I was looking forward to seeing over the next two months. There was something about viewing the color change in the flesh that was lost in the drab photographs of biology textbooks. Maybe it was feeling the crisp October breeze on my skin, or tracing my finger along the coarse-textured, patterned leaves, or simply perceiving the environment with my own two eyes, but today, I could confidently say "this is autumn" instead of "I should remember the autumn leaf color phenomenon for the upcoming test." The White Room's theoretical curriculum could only take me so far. My escapade of thirty-six hours and counting had taught me more than any book. Most importantly, it educated me on the experiences of a human. That's why I will keep fighting for freedom — to breathe this fresh air in, to understand all that was kept from me, to discover more about myself.

To continue ensuring my freedom, I had to achieve two objectives: get a permanent job and find a place to sleep. While the limousine satisfied the latter requirement, it sat far away from the city, on the path to the White Room. Since moving the car into the city was out of the question, I would become a sitting duck for that man and the anti-Naoe faction if I continued to depend on it.

Unless I encountered a stroke of luck, a shelter would require money, which could only be earned from a job.

As I began warming down, I briefly considered starting my own business, but the time I would need to invest in setting up, advertising, and day-to-day operations did not make it worth the money. While being wealthy would be nice, I only needed enough money to fully enjoy my freedom. There was no need to get ahead of myself with ambitious endeavors in a world I barely knew.

That meant getting employed somewhere. After grouping my measly possessions into a plastic bag I received at the convenience store last night, I began jogging down the road to Tokyo. It was 7:00, which meant few cars interrupted the serene sight of the morning sun on the changing landscape.

Surely someone with my capabilities would have no trouble finding employment?

~~~

"Get out! This ain't a joke, kid. Go back to begging or whatever the hell brats like you do."

As I exited the thirty-ninth store today, I was again reminded of the unfairness and inequality in society.

First, there was the matter of age. According to Japanese labor laws, the minimum age for working part-time is fifteen. Fortunately, my demeanor and voice suggested somebody far beyond that age, but my height was suspect. It led to potential employers instantly asking for an identification card or school, neither of which I could answer satisfactorily.

However, what was truly unfair and illogical were those who turned me away upon a single glance at my appearance, such as the last company. People automatically assumed my capabilities based on my simple white gown. If I was being honest, I could probably do my potential employers' jobs better than them, but I did not get one chance to prove myself, even when I used my nonexistent ailing mother to try and evoke sympathy. The few who gave me an opportunity asked me questions that I answered impeccably, only to be rejected for not being in high school or university. Merit was discarded with arbitrary means such as age and appearance. Unlike the White Room, society was not a pure meritocracy.

My clothing had no bearing on my ability. Today, I learned about the concept of "social status" and how it interfered with logic to form flawed assumptions of others. Even today, I gained 1000 yen just from walking through the streets, but I knew now it was because my social status was so low that it was deemed pitiful by others, although I still did not understand why people freely gave their money away. I did not know all the factors contributing to a person's social status, but my appearance and perceived economic status seemed likely to be a part of the puzzle. In any case, I might need to buy a new set of clothes sooner than I thought.

I could also be overthinking this — perhaps the laws were enforced such that people considerably feared getting caught, and I had lucked out yesterday. Playing the victim card and blaming society for being unjust was more appealing, though.

To be fair to my potential employers, I had been somewhat selective with my choice of work. I sought a part-time job that could teach me about society, eliminating menial or technical work such as washing dishes and most white-collar occupations.

I stopped in front of a toy store named "Totsuka Toys." Plastered on one of its windows was a sign with "Hiring" written on it. I did not know much about toys or the children they were targeted towards, making this a viable option to try for employment.

Entering the store, I was greeted by a cramped, musty store. Shelves were filled to the brim with various toys, leaving little space to walk through them. The store was colored forest green, but I could make out specks of yellow on the floor, most likely due to a recent paint job. I recognized a few toys from the White Room before the curriculum had begun. They reminded me of the emotions that were now either dormant or disappearing. The memories were faint, but I could recall having the ability to feel back then. When it became clear that my emotions were obstructing my survival, I forcibly removed them. I suppressed something innate to all humans, animals even. If there was anything the past couple of days had taught me, it was that I was like this floor I was walking on, claiming to be monotonous despite the glaring inconsistencies. Soon enough, I would have to make a decision as to whether to repaint myself in the brilliant white of that place or not. It would all depend on my future actions and the movements of that man and the anti-Naoe faction.

As I approached the counter, I raised a hand in greeting. A tall, broad-shouldered, grizzled middle-aged man with a horseshoe mustache nodded back.

"Do ya want anything, boy?" he asked.

"I noticed the sign on your window. I want to apply to work here," I said sincerely.

"Hah? A kid like you? Ya should be playin' with these, not sellin' them," he replied, gesturing to the toys around us.

I turned my gaze to the floor. "I need a job to support my mother," I lied, attempting to make my voice thinner. "She's bedridden, and only I can support her. Either I find a legitimate job or I join a gang. I hope you can understand my plight."

"If ya say so." He crossed his arms. "Age?"

"Would you believe me if I said I was fifteen?"

The man shrugged. "Who knows?"

Good response. I'll remember that for later use.

"Ya have any experience with toys?"

Now was the time to pitch my skills. "I've only played with them before, but I can do other work, such as sweeping the floors or keeping the shelves tidy. I also have confidence in my math skills, so I can manage the accounts or work as a cashier. Finally, I especially pride myself on my ability to learn quickly. If you so desire, I can be your appren—"

"Okay, okay, that's enough. Honestly, I jus' wanted a helper to keep me company. My son, around your age only," he put a hand out to indicate his son's height, "used ta be that, but now he's kinda gone off the rails." He sighed. "Puttin' my personal troubles aside, ya have any school ID?"

I could dodge the question, but it would inevitably appear later, prematurely ending any work I found. I had spent the better part of the morning job-hunting. It was a tiring process I preferred not to go through again.

However, the lack of ID was getting to be an issue. It was understandable that companies and employers wanted a way to verify what I said about myself to avoid getting in trouble, but at my age, the only ID I could have was proof of being enrolled in a school. Maybe I should give that man a call and request my birth certificate.

There was only one option left. I shook my head.

The man sighed again. "Shoulda expected that. You're really in the dumps, aren't ya."

Before he could go down a negative spiral regarding me, I interjected. "Business is not going well for you, is that right?"

"Hah? How do ya know that?"

"The shelves are mostly full, and the shop is dirty. If you had more customers, you at least would keep the store clean. Besides," I grabbed a toy car from the counter and traced my finger over it, "this is handmade, right?"

"Sharp, ain't ya? Making toys has been our family's trade for generations. Them factory-made toys are killin' stores like mine!" I seemed to have angered him somewhat, which was understandable given that I had reminded him of his slow business.

"I see." I adopted a thinking pose. "If you hire me, I will help advertise the store. I can tell by looking at this toy car that it is of superior quality to most factory toys. If we promote your store, I have no doubt that business will pick up."

I did not know anything about the intricacies of toymaking, but by presenting him with a problem and offering to help with the solution, I could gain his favor in this interview.

The man, who I now presumed was the owner, chuckled. He sat down and took out a pen and paper, a sad smile on his face.

"No can do, kid. I can't hire ya."

This was an unexpected outcome. "May I ask why?"

"You're a bright kid, too sharp for someone your age if ya ask me, but ya don't have the drive for this work. I can't have ya get bored and start causin' trouble like Yahiko."

"I do not understand," I voiced honestly.

"Toymaking's a niche business. If ya ain't interested, it ain't for ya. Durin' this conversation, neither your voice nor ya face changed even a little," the owner replied gruffly. "It ain't my position to know what you've been through, but do somethin' ya like. Somethin' that makes ya happy."

What do I like? At the most basic level, I enjoyed what made me smile. That would be freedom and flavorful food, but those were different. At the White Room, everything was just another task to complete. Over there, joy, sadness, and other emotions impeded logic and the ability to see the big picture. Therefore, all those feelings were removed from my activities, meaning there was nothing to enjoy. As a result, I neither liked nor disliked anything, and I did not know if I would take to any hobby or discipline.

The grizzled man's face softened in sympathy, making me realize that I had accidentally said that last part out loud.

"I can see your eyes and know you're strugglin', kid," he said thoughtfully, writing on the paper he had just taken out. "That's why I'll give ya a lifeline. There's a Ministop a few stores down. Give this paper to the manager and say the toymaker Totsuka recommended ya. She should give ya some work." He handed the folded paper to me, which I gratefully accepted.

Why did so many people comment about my eyes? Was having golden-colored eyes that rare? I should find out soon. Regardless, I bowed. "Thank you for your kindness."

Surprisingly, he bowed as well. "I should be thankin' ya for clearly tellin' me what was goin' wrong. I kept denyin' it out of laziness, but I'll get started on the promotin'. Maybe I'll get young Yahiko to help out."

"It's no problem," I replied. I turned away and began exiting the cramped store when the owner stopped me again.

"Use the money ya get to support your mother's sickness, but use the sharp mind ya have to figure out your passion. I may not be well-off, but I've loved making toys. Followin' my passion is why I lead a content life now. When ya find it, I guarantee ya will go places. Jus' find what makes ya tick and chase after it. There's more ta life than darkness. And maybe buy a toy or two from me every now and then. I'll give ya a discount."

A peaceful life. That was all I wanted, and he seemed to have it. Did I need emotions to achieve that goal? The thought challenged the mentality I had chosen to live with, confusing me.

"I see. I will keep that in mind."

I bowed again before walking back onto the street, mind buzzing anew with questions about emotion and its place in my life.

~~~

"You're quite young to be working."

The female manager eyed me suspiciously while scanning the paper I had given her. She had an attractive face and a well-endowed figure that I imagined attracted men to her like moths to a flame.

"It's out of compulsion," I replied quietly, wringing my hands and sucking my lower lip to appear desperate.

"No ID... no school... dubious age... looking like you ran away from a hospital... there's really not much going for you. But Totsuka-kun's recommendation does carry some heft..." The manager sighed, running a hand through her long blonde hair. "How old are you?"

"Fifteen."

"Of course. Why did I even ask..."

As she contemplated my job application, her steel blue eyes flitting between me and the door, a bespectacled boy carrying a stack of magazines passed us by. He appeared to be restocking the magazine shelf near the front of the store, but midway to his destination, he glanced at me and stopped, his eyes widening almost imperceptibly.

Upon a closer look, he was lanky and had sleek black hair. Like the manager, he wore a black store uniform consisting of a cap, a zipped shirt, and pants. His stern violet eyes bore into my golden orbs, seeking to understand me.

Did he know me? I was certain that my memories were still intact, so I was confident that I did not know him. That would mean...

No. There was no way. That man would never allow an ordinary person to know about the White Room. Unless he was the son of an investor, there was no chance he would know about my past. There was too little information to go on to speculate any further, so I decided to go with the flow.

"While it's rare for Totsuka-kun to give such a glowing appraisal of anyone, this is all so, for lack of a better word, sketchy," the manager said. I braced for my forty-first disappointment of the day. "I hope you find a way to help your mother, but Ministop is a large company. We have certain hiring standards. No matter how capable you might be, we could get in a lot of trouble if you turn out to be undera—"

"He's fifteen," said the black-haired boy abruptly, cutting off his manager. "He goes to my school. I recommend him for a job here."

Huh? He looked older than me. I was in the fourth generation at the White Room. Could he be...

"It's rare of you to endorse anyone, Horikita-kun. Ignoring that for now, if he goes to your school, why does he not have any ID?" A reasonable question. I was now interested in seeing how my unexpected defender would secure employment for me.

"He was born in the slums," he replied, glancing at me. I nodded, playing along with this charade.

"Hmm, that would explain him having no birth certificate or passport. But if he's from your school, shouldn't there be some documentation of that?"

"To put it briefly, his parents were illiterate."

"Horikita-kun, that's not brief — that's vague, although I think I'm starting to see the bigger picture."

"If you have doubts, I can give you the school chairman's number."

"No, it's alright. Who can I trust if not the Student Council President?"

Impressive. By using intentionally vague statements, the boy in front of me had made the manager draw her own conclusions regarding my circumstances. A person would always trust their own deductions more than others, making this a solid strategy. He then used his power as a "Student Council President," whatever that was, to add weight to his words. His cunning was not to be underestimated. His efforts convinced me that he wanted something from me. Soon enough, it would be clear whether or not he was associated with the White Room.

The store manager turned back to me, eyes shimmering with sadness.

"Aww, you've had it rough, haven't you?" she asked softly, caressing my hair. I was not particularly fond of being pitied, but the sensation on my head felt nice in a way I had never experienced before.

When she removed her hand a few seconds later, giggling at my expectant stare, I was slightly disappointed. What was this desire for? Every day in the outside world, I discovered parts of myself that I never knew were there, but I came no closer to understanding what they meant or where they had come from. Was this a part of my journey to becoming human?

"You've somehow gained the favor of two people I respect, so I think we can skip the interview process and say you're hired." Her face broke out into a dazzling smile that I was sure would melt the heart of any man around... well, except for me and "Horikita-kun."

I bowed gracefully. "Thank you for your kindness and understanding. I hope to not let you down."

"Drop the formalities! We're co-workers now," she replied brightly, waving me off.

"If that is your wish...?" I tilted my head.

She clapped her hands. "Oh! I forgot to introduce myself! I'm Ichinose Mayumi. Feel free to use my given name! I'm the manager of this Ministop and mother to two amazing daughters!" She grabbed my hand and excitedly swung it up and down. Where did she get so much energy from? I could never hope to achieve this level of social competence.

The black-haired boy raised a hand in greeting. "My name is Horikita Manabu. I'm a third-year student and Student Council President at Musashi Junior High School. A pleasure to be working alongside you," he said.

I briefly considered using a fake name, but if the forces after me were as powerful as I thought them to be, it would be a futile endeavor.

"Ayanokouji Kiyotaka," I said in my usual monotone voice. "I, um, don't have any particular hobbies or interests, but, uh, I hope to get along with you."

Did I hesitate? That was a messy introduction. My social skills needed work.

"Cool! Now that that's settled, let me tell you about your work schedule, Ayanokouji-kun!" exclaimed my new manager. "You'll be working alongside Horikita-kun, which means..."

~~~

My first thought upon beginning work was regarding how uncomfortable my uniform was.

While the White Room may have been harsh in many respects, its clothing was simple, easy to wear, and comfortable. While I agreed that my new set of clothes was aesthetically superior, I still found myself yearning for the white gown I was forcibly stripped of. It also did not help that the zipped shirt reached halfway to my knees, although the cap and shoes were a refreshing change from the norm.

Putting frivolous thoughts aside, I was otherwise satisfied with my job. Convenience stores sold goods essential to society, making it fantastic for learning the needs and desires of humans in the outside world. I further had a chance to improve my social skills with the volume of customers this store serviced.

I would work six days a week, from 16:00-20:00 on weekdays and 13:00-17:00 on Saturdays like this one. All shifts were with Horikita-senpai. The pay was a reasonable 1500 yen per hour, providing me with enough income to live on while allowing me to save money for a place to stay.

After Horikita-senpai gave me a brief tour of the store, I occupied myself with restocking shelves and the occasional customer query for the next hour. When there was a lull in the number of customers, Horikita-senpai approached me again.

"Do you need something from me, senpai?" I asked politely.

"We both know why I'm here," Horikita-senpai replied tersely, looking down at my lean frame.

"I see. Then, why did you stand up for me back then? I don't even know who you are."

No matter how he replied, this was a win-win scenario for me. If he dodged the question or attempted to lie, I could conclude that he was a threat to me. If he answered honestly, I would gain valuable information about people's motives in the outside world. I still could not explain what drove that White Room guard to turn traitor, why people gave me money unconditionally, or even why the owner of Totsuka Toys recommended me for this job. What causes emotion? Why do people act on feelings?

Horikita-senpai sighed. "It's better if I just show you." He took out his phone and navigated to an app. After a few seconds of searching, he opened a video and played it for me to see.

I saw myself fighting an all-too-familiar magenta-haired delinquent.

While the audio was cut out due to the wind, it clearly demonstrated my fighting prowess. Although my back faced the camera during the fight, I had turned around at the end, meaning the video had successfully captured my face.

I mentally lectured myself for such an oversight. While I usually would have detected any stalkers present, I had let the world turn white yesterday, meaning I shut out my surroundings. Thankfully, the fight did not happen at a location I frequented, so it would not cause much damage. However, that man and the anti-Naoe faction had a starting point now for their investigation. I'd have to be more vigilant in the coming days.

"You've become quite popular on social media." Horikita-senpai's words brought me back to reality.

"Isn't this just a regular fight? Why is it such a big deal?" I asked. I'm not sure what the average twelve-year-old's physical ability is. Perhaps what I demonstrated was abnormal for my age?

"While that may be true for you, I and most others see a young boy toying with a feared delinquent."

"I'm—"

"You're eleven, twelve at most."

I could not refute that, so I stayed silent. Seeing the effect his words had on me, Horikita-senpai smirked.

"You were holding back, weren't you?"

I shrugged. "Who knows?"

He smirked again while putting away his phone. "My point is, your abilities are remarkable. I'm a fourth dan in both karate and aikido, but I'm certain I would lose to you in a fight."

"Senpai, you overest—"

A hand shot straight for my face at high speed. I instinctively tilted my head to the right. I wasn't expecting his attacks to be powerful enough to knock me out.

"That was dangerous, senpai. What if someone saw?"

Horikita-senpai smirked for the third time. Was that the only facial expression he could make? Then again, I'm not one to talk.

"Coming back to your question, you could say I'm interested in you," continued Horikita-senpai, ignoring my last question. "When you showed up here, I knew I had to take action to keep you around."

"Well, you have me now," I said drily. "What will you do?"

"I'll just watch you for now." He chuckled. "Interesting things are bound to happen with someone of your ability around."

Ignoring the creepy undertones of that comment, I decided to change the topic. "That's not all you came here for, is it?" I asked. He was skilled at hiding his intentions, but my cold reading skills could pick up on the most minute body language. To me, he clearly wanted to say more.

"You're perceptive too, huh? I should have expected that. I would ask if you were taught, but you would likely give me a cryptic answer." He knows me too well...

He looked around us before continuing to talk. "I'd like you to keep my working here a secret," he said quietly.

"I don't mind, but any particular reason?"

"As you've heard, I'm the Student Council President at my school. I've spent over two years carefully building up my reputation. If my classmates find out that I have to work to make ends meet, it would disgrace me and possibly my younger sister. I hope you understand."

Truthfully, I didn't understand. Why would a person's economic status affect how others perceived them? A person could be under the poverty line for reasons other than not working hard enough. I still nodded at his request since he had bowed his head, but it got me thinking again about the irrationality and ignorance of people in society.

"Thank you," said Horikita-senpai gratefully. As there were now more customers, he made to leave for another part of the store, but suddenly, he turned back.

"Ayanokouji, you're good at handling money, right?"

"I would say I'm average at mathematics," I replied, being the trouble-averse person I am.

For the fourth time, he smirked. I got the impression my bland response may have only invited more trouble...

~~~

"What if someone correctly assumes I'm underage and makes a complaint?" I asked. Logic was my last card to play in such a troublesome situation.

"Then they'll call my school, and I'll convince the chairman to pretend that you're fifteen and in my year," replied Horikita-senpai without missing a beat.

"Can you actually do that?"

"He owes me a couple of favors."

I changed my angle of attack. "How do you know I won't mess up the transactions?"

"You're the self-proclaimed sole breadwinner of your family. That should be enough, no?"

Did he use my own lie against me? This was not how I imagined it being used. Also, he implied that he knew I was lying about my circumstances. I don't know how he came to that conclusion, but I would have to keep up my guard around him in the future.

There was only one argument I could make now.

"Have you heard my voice? Won't it scare people away?"

"On the contrary, I believe it will only increase business. Besides, it's the manager's orders. You're not getting out of this." Horikita-senpai's sharp eyes twinkled in amusement at my plight. How cruel.

It was a perfect trap. Horikita-senpai had covered all the bases, leaving me with no escape. Now, I would have to face my fate head-on. Take the plunge, figuratively speaking.

"I thought you would enjoy this work," said Horikita-senpai teasingly. "All you need to do is greet customers and handle purchases."

I did want to learn social skills, but not like this. I expected to gradually build up my knowledge, not engage in White Room-style teaching techniques.

Deciding not to reply, I plodded toward the checkout counter. Horikita-senpai followed behind me, holding in his laughter.

I had read that senpais looked out for their kouhais. How wrong those books were...

~~~

"Hello, I hope you enjoyed shopping with us today," I said monotonously.

"Pffft— what the fuck, dude? Put some energy into it!" A tall redhead laughed heartily.

"If you are looking for energy drinks, they're in the minifrid—"

My voice was drowned out by the entire queue of customers chortling.

What did I do wrong?

~~~

"Hello, I hope you enjoyed shopping with us today."

"He sounds like a deadbeat father with three children," whispered one girl to her friend.

My nonexistent heart implores me to cry right now...

~~~

"Hello, I hope you enjoyed shopping with us today."

"Why are you depressed? It doesn't suit your cute looks. Is everything okay at home? Do you need somebody to talk to? I can pleasure you in many different ways, you know? Just say the word!"

I didn't understand anything this woman said, but for some reason, I felt uncomfortable. I did not even know I could be unsettled, so thanks, creepy woman?

~~~

"Hello, I hope you enjoyed shopp— ma'am, please take that bottle out from your pocket."

The girl sharply glared at me as she placed the beer bottle on the counter.

Hey, why are you giving me that look? I'm just following my duty as a law-abiding citiz— oh wait.

~~~

Finally, it was 17:00. My torture had ended, although strangely, the end of my shift came sooner than I had expected. I had read that this was a sign of having fun, but I had never smiled, laughed, or felt anything indicating enjoyment. Admittedly, the varying interactions I took part in were intriguing, but that did not necessarily mean it was enjoyable. Yet another phenomenon I could not explain. Society was genuinely fascinating, even if I was unsure whether to welcome or reject the changes it induced in me.

Horikita-senpai and I had been paid, and now we were outside the store. While I appreciated the money, I was most grateful to be back in my comfortable white gown.

A wave of fatigue washed over me as I watched the Sun set for the second time in two days. I would probably never get tired of watching this silky collusion of red and yellow herald the calm of night. Its display of color symbolized my newfound freedom. I would not be giving up on this unrivaled learning opportunity anytime soon.

Social interaction was incredibly tiring. I still had to find a place to sleep in lieu of the limousine. As I thought about my next steps, Horikita-senpai stood by me, admiring the sunset as I had done.

"You look like you've never seen a sunset before," he said softly.

Answering that question was risky, so I did not respond, instead opting to stare at the sky of fire.

He chuckled at my behavior, then turned toward me. "I wanted to thank you," he uttered, a small smile forming on his face.

"For what?"

"It's been a long time since I've been able to have fun like today. At school, nobody acts casually around me due to my position. You could call it being lonely at the top."

"To me, you're just a senpai."

Horikita-senpai seemed happy at my response.

"I apologize if I made you uncomfortable. It was me who suggested that you work as a cashier."

"It was unnerving at first, but it grew on me. I should be thanking you for stopping people from recording me."

"Anyone would have done the same in my position. I'm glad you found it fun."

That wasn't quite the right word for it, but if somebody asked me to describe the past couple of hours in a single word, I would be unable to answer. Feelings were foreign to me. Only through experience could I begin to understand them.

"Would you like to be friends?"

Horikita-senpai's next question took me aback slightly. I turned toward him, seeing his usually stern gaze soften momentarily before hardening again.

"I apologize. That was too forward of me. Despite being at the top of my year, I'm not proficient at casual conversation."

"If it's any consolation, you're better than me," I replied jokingly.

He chuckled. "The offer is still open. I want to get to know you better." He extended a hand toward me.

Friendship. There was no universal definition, but most agreed that it was an interpersonal bond involving emotional support, companionship, and affection. Unlike the mentality I had adopted in the White Room, friendship was more than just transactional. It was one of the relationships that underpinned the structure of society. Since I wanted to understand the outside world better, accepting this offer would be prudent.

However, something was off about that hand...

I slapped Horikita-senpai's right hand away, then ducked under his left hook.

"Why do you keep trying to fight me?" I asked.

He smirked. "I would not expect anything less from you. See you later, friend." He raised a hand in farewell and began walking away.

"I'll get back at you for today, 'friend.'" Smirking bastard. Why did I even say that? I blamed it on the irrationality of society.

As I watched him become smaller and smaller on the horizon, I reflected on the day so far. Society was far more complicated than I gave it credit for. While it was mainly based on logic, emotions and morality kept getting in the way. For example, I was turned down by Totsuka Toys for lacking passion, even though I was capable. Other companies preferred less able high schoolers to me simply because of my age. And now, a friendship was formed without any ulterior motive guiding it.

I thought back to the mentality I had adopted in the White Room. Throwing away everything unnecessary and doing everything it took to win ensured my continued survival. Under the right conditions, I would tell Horikita-senpai's secret to his classmates. He knew that I could do that, yet he blindly trusted me to not say anything. Why was that?

As thoughts swirled in my head, they merged into one question:

Is winning all there is to life?

For once, I found myself entirely clueless as to where to begin finding an answer.

~~~

A/N: Apologies for the delay in releasing this chapter. I had promised to release it two days ago, but jetlag hit harder than I expected, and I ended up rewriting portions of this chapter, which only added more time to the overall process.

On that note, college has started up for me, so expect updates to be a bit slower. I'll aim to publish one chapter every 1-1.5 weeks, but it might be even slower during particularly busy weeks.

Moving on to the chapter, this one is a bit lighter and slower-paced to make up for the last two chapters. Kiyo has his first meaningful interactions with people, and he discovers a bit more about the way society operates. You've probably noticed that I've thrown in a couple OCs, but they're mainly there to flesh out this world or to facilitate interaction with main CotE characters. I can assure y'all that the focus will be on Kiyo and the main cast, so don't worry about that too much.

This chapter is long enough already, so I'll end this A/N here. I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and I'll see you in the next one!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

152K 4.4K 24
This is a Classroom Of The Elite Fanfic. Disclaimer: I don't own the original story, it belongs to Shōgo Kinugasa. This is just a fanfic based on the...
29.6K 1.7K 11
Ayanokouji Kiyotaka finally achieved what he's wanted since the beginning of his life: Freedom. However, freedom comes with it's own set of challeng...
8K 252 6
The White Room. A secret facility created by an unknown man who goes by the name of Professor Ayanokoji. The white room was created to shape the perf...
334K 10.1K 93
Fukazawa Yato is forced to go to the Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing High School. Even if he had no motivation to go at the beginning, that wi...