๐„๐ฉ๐ก๐ž๐ฆ๐ž๐ซ๐š๐ฅ - ๐„๐๐ฐ๐š...

By tehyayoung

๐™„๐™ฃ ๐™ฌ๐™๐™ž๐™˜๐™ ๐™– ๐™ก๐™ค๐™ซ๐™š ๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™ค๐™ง๐™ฎ ๐™ฃ๐™š๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง ๐™๐™š๐™–๐™ง๐™™ ๐™ค๐™› ๐™ค๐™˜๐™˜๐™ช๐™ง๐™จ ๐™—๐™š๐™ฉ๐™ฌ๐™š๐™š๐™ฃ ๐™ฉ๐™ฌ๐™ค ๐™›๐™ค๐™ง๐™—... More

act one - twilight
characters
chapter one - its a crime to be an artist
chapter two - hello forks
chapter three - now everyone is gonna think you're a pervert
chapter four - first impressions
chapter five - the mark
chapter six - icy conundrums
chapter seven - cracked glass
chapter eight - troubled
chapter nine - red
chapter eleven - night terrors
chapter twelve - port angeles
chapter thirteen - dead bodies piling
chapter fourteen - you gotta stop with the spying
chapter fifteen - human nature
chapter sixteen - the meadow
chapter seventeen - bound by heaven yet signing my way to hell
chapter eighteen - i'm a vampire hunter
chapter nineteen - so my dad was batman?
chapter twenty - family meets and greets
chapter twenty one - i'm sorry it had to be like this
chapter twenty two - you're either the hunted or the hunter
chapter twenty three - you are my life now
chapter twenty four - fast and furious
chapter five - i want my damn pie
chapter six - destiny was ephemeral like that.
act two - new moon

chapter ten - legends

267 16 2
By tehyayoung

༉‧₊˚. ✧. *. ⋆┄✧┄┄┄┄ ⋆┊┊┊┊ ➶ 𓆉。˚ ✧┊┊┊✧ ⁺    ⁺  °┊┊ .𓆟 ͎. 。˚ °  ┊┊                                    ┊┊ ➶ 。˚    ┊┊ ✧ ⁺.                          ┊┊.                      ➶-͙˚ ༘✶┊ ➶ 。˚   °*.           *    ·"

Eloise, his voice rang, little pet noises emitting from his lips as the sound of scratching ensued.

It felt like my head was on fire and the whole world was burning while I was forced to burn with it. The dark abided no comfort or sense of security despite being enclosed behind doors, a sliver of light creeping through the cracked closet door. I held my breath, hand censoring any urge to expel my cries—my tongue nearly bled from how hard I clenched it against my teeth. I could smell the raw rusts of blood, fumes delegating on my emotions, seeing if I'll break.

He was counting on that.

For a moment, when the whole house grew quiet, I thought he had finally given up. For a moment, just a moment, a stifled weep left my lips unconsciously when I stared numbly at my dad's pale limp body, only perceptible by his head where something dark and foreboding curled around him like his own poison of death. I couldn't see him fully, but it was enough to know he wasn't moving.

He wasn't breathing either.

A gasp tore from my lips when the doors suddenly ripped open, and there, standing like a preying predator that's finally found it's meal smiled sadistically as he curled his fingers in eagerness and yanked me from the safety of the closet's confines. I let out a desperate shuddered breath, too paralyzed to scream or move as the man inhaled me like I was some sweet ambrosia he could sample.

Everything felt cold and dismal.

I never felt more horrified.

Red eyes swallowed my gaze, meticulously absorbing every little startled facet and instantly relished in the sight.

"Found you," he grinned wickedly, and just as he closed in to end my life, with my eyes glazed over and my dead dad's body limply askew to the side, the world went blank.

And I woke up in a cold sweat, breathing erratically before I immediately reached for my lamp side to make the shadow monsters go away.

The room swept me up in a blissful white glow and the walls were empty of any foreboding presence I imagined would be there. Haunting me.

I exhaled—fingers wringing through my hair, trying to gravitate a sense of calm.

Blank walls, blank mind.

"Ow!" I hissed. Something singed me from my arm, like hot coal fires pricking every nerve. A wild fire of ants were crawling up and down, biting me. Consuming my blood. I viciously chucked off my sweater and grimly glanced at the product of such pain, and to my distraught, nothing.

Nothing except skin.

A dry scoff elapsed from my lips.

What the hell was going on with me?

"Hey, did you hear what I just said?" Jessica's voice managed to yank me from the momentary brown noise my mind fogged over with—I realized I had been writing the same damn thing over and over again on my notepad in class. And it wasn't the math numbers up on the board.

A symbol stared back at me in a messy black scrawl—seven pitched heads like arrows but with no point, almost akin to a compass, and they were all pointing to each different pole, with the center being of a cross and strange letterings. The whole paper was congealed in the images, symbol against symbol, like my brain was trying to tell me something.

A haunting echo somehow pressed against my skull, a pressure that I subdued as merely a headache from the weather.

Something told me that wasn't the case in truth.

"Hellooo? Earth to El?" Jessica was less inclined to seem like she was patient or concerned as she waved a hand in front of me, slightly petulant I wasn't listening.

My eyes refused to move from the notepad. And my dry lips started opening, "Do you recognize this?"

"What? Those weird drawings you've been doing for the past ten minutes?" Jessica gestured, confused. I nodded, my eyes analyzing each head, trying to fathom exactly what it meant. "No. Not really."

"It's been bothering me," I uttered strangely. "It's like I should know what it means. . .I just can't figure out what."

"Uhhhh, right. Well, I don't take geometry so I cant really help you with that," Jessica said thinly.

"It looks more like a hieroglyphic," I mumbled, slightly dazed.

"Rightttt, we'll, I'm just gonna ask you again because you obviously didn't hear me before. What did Edward Cullen want yesterday?"

And the spell broke.

I looked up, eyes blinking erratically I probably looked like I had taken crack, and observed the obvious curiosity and annoyance that graced Jessica's sharp features.

"I don't know," I uttered. "He never really gets to the point."

"We'll, you looked kind of mad," she fished, obviously referring to the cafeteria incident.

"Did I?" I kept everything concise and without reason to spread rumors, my face remaining blank.

"You know, I've never seen him sit with anyone but his family before. That was weird." I could detect a hint of envy, but I chose to ignore it.

Despite me not saying anything, she seemed even more annoyed due to my less then satisfying answer. She was obviously clinging to a hope I had something juicy she could spread.

I rolled my eyes inherently as they shifted to the same scrawl I couldn't get out of my mind.

By the time lunch rolled around, I couldn't help but let my eyes wander to the Cullen table non-conspicuously. Rosalie, Alice, and Jasper were all huddled together speaking in hushed voices, or as hushed as you can be in a hubbub of students all crowded into one space. Of course, untouched food, and brooding faces at the Cullen table. I considered a genetic disorder—anemic being one or if they were just really against the poison provided at our school.

Honestly, probably couldn't blame them. My meatloaf was looking pretty wiggly for being pasteurized meat.

Siting down, I was no sooner engulfed in the disarray of plans being made. Me, being apart of those plans despite my nay say. Mike was as animated as his golden retriever self could be, putting more trust in the weatherman then he should, promising a high quality shower of sunlight tomorrow. In Washington, that would be a literal miracle. Everyday was either gray skies meaning the usual glum, or rain and gray skies meaning irrational attitude and glum twice that. And it was below sixty—I desperately missed visiting my grandma down in California. 

"So, you thinking of hitting some swells?" Mike intercepted me, his face in full view as I moments ago had been partially hazed out, rubbing my arm like it bore a vicious wound.

It still felt itchy. Like something was there, just at the smallest molecule level to where my insanity peaks and nothing is visible.

  I blinked, realizing everyone being Jessica, Eric, Mike, and Angela were staring at me curiously.

"Huh?"

Mike looked a little bit offended I didn't hear him the first time and was about to say something when Jessica piped up, "Sorry Mike, but unless you're Edward Cullen or do some wickedly insane backflips, El is non-compute."

Angela rolled her eyes, "Don't be so rude, Jess."

"What?" She scoffed, portraying a look of innocence. "It's been like this all day with her. I'm just stating the obvious."

"Sorry," I interjected as I tried gathering my senses and informing Jessica's bitchiness, "I'm just thinking."

"Thinking like you're gonna hit some swells thinking?" Mike wiggled his brows, "You do have a wet suit? Right?"

I started chuckling, "Yeah, I don't do well with the cold and water combined, especially when the waters contain the world's worst predators."

"In Washington? Im pretty sure the only predators we have is preying mantis and that's cutting it close," Eric remarked wryly, an obvious superiority of knowledge seemingly overriding his ego.

   "Thats not true. There's been sightings of sharks before," Angela tried to defend me.

"Yeah, like this size," Eric proceeded to measure his hand twelve inches, making both Angela and I seemingly roll our eyes in sync.

"Okay, sharks or not, I think I'll just stick to the sidelines. Where it's safe on land," I adjourned, feeling more and more like the boys were conspiring to get me in the water one way or another.

"Your loss," Mike sang before Eric uttered with a battling stare, "I bet you twenty bucks then."

"What's the bet?" I nervously dared to ask.

Eric paused before he just plainly decided, "I'll pay you."

"Oh my God, could you be anymore desperate," Jessica outright insulted him, unamused and very much annoyed. "She doesn't want to surf so give her a break."

"It's literally called La Push for a reason baby! You gotta give 'em a push," Eric cajoled like it was his faith, seemingly way too into this. It's probably the closest thing he has to sports, aside from his testing 'strengths' in chess.

"Yeah, enjoy that when you get hypothermia," I sassed back, earning a disappointed frown from Eric and a roll of the eyes from Mike.

"Buzz kill," Eric mumbled, sitting back on his seat all pouty.

This time, I rolled my eyes, a teasing smile on my lips.

The girls groaned in annoyance, me chuckling amongst myself whilst Mike engaged enthusiastically with Eric's statement as Angela bluntly uttered, "You're such a nerd."

"A nerd who's a badass at surfing baby!" Eric and Mike high fived in the stupidest way, earning another round of chuckles from me because it helped me forget momentarily all the troubles I had. And because I couldn't agree more with Angela—they really were nerds.

Troubles or not, they waned a bit in the back of my head.

One being the purgatory of my nightmares—and the symbol I can't seem to put my thoughts away.

That, and a boy who seemed to have inhumane strength and a lot of pent up anger for being so privileged.

When I got home for dinner, having decided to eat out with the gang, I was greeted by the usual sight of Charlie laying on the couch drinking a Stella and watching an intense looking game of football. I muttered a small hello, which earned a gruff sounding noise closest to a hi in return before I walked toward the kitchen, surprised to see Kimi home already and cooking!

"Wow. This is new," I uttered dryly as I eyed a dangerous looking meat sizzling on the skillet. Kimi had discarded her scrubs for a more comfortable ensemble, being a sweatshirt and sweatpants and was seemingly more hoppy.

I immediately grew alert.

The last time Kimi was ever this enthusiastic, she had either screwed up real bad and was covering it up with a nice gesture or she wanted something.

With Kimi, I felt like it was always more so wanting something.

"We'll hello to you to," Kimi contended, dismissing my insinuating tone and said, "So, how was your day?"

I quipped a brow, "You're really trying to play the doting parent right now?"

Kimi rolled her eyes passively, "Just answer the question."

"It was. . .tolerable," I dryly oozed. "I smoked some pot."

"What?!" Charlie jolted upright from his previous comatose beer high, looking very upset.

Kimi quickly interjected, "She's just kidding, Charlie."

"Oh," he didn't seem satisfied by this answer because his eyes grew slightly narrow as he sniffed the air, no doubt going to rifle through my coat pockets later on like a K-9 dog.

I couldn't help the growing smile on my lips. Sometimes I forgot how oblivious Charlie was.

"Aside from it being a tolerable day, anything new happen?" Kimi's eyes seemed highly intrusive as she searched my face for an answer.

I sighed, feeling very put on the spot and not in the slightest mood to make her feel better about herself when it comes to 'mothering.' "Um, I'm going to La Push beach Saturday with some friends."

Kimi's face practically melted. "That's wonderful, El. You planning to surf?"

"Do you even know me?" I scoffed.

She merely rolled her eyes at my pathetic attempt at being sarcastic, "You might be surprised. I have a wet suit you could borrow."

"God no. Just another thing for me to almost die from," I groaned.

"Speaking of," Kimi sighed, hating the fact I was even close to getting smashed by a veichle, "how's the head?"

"Sublime, thanks for asking," I sassily drew. "I'm gonna head upstairs now. Got lots of shit that needs doing."

"We'll, I'm making chicken pasta if you—"

"I already ate with some friends," I quickly addressed, thankful that I didn't have to awkwardly sit at a table and pretend to have a discussion with Charlie and Kimi. Truth was, Kimi had night shifts most of the week so Charlie and I sort of fended for ourselves. Charlie mostly brought home food he got from the diner he always eats at and I often would just skip dinner altogether. The whole eating together ordeal was just too. . .forced.

My no doubt very dismissive refusal to join dinner must have made Kimi upset because a somewhat disappointed frown settled on her face. "Oh. . ." She sighed, "You could've told me."

"Then Charlie would be starved. I think it worked out for the best. All the more leftovers," and me missing the chance of a lifetime of food poisoning.

Kimi didn't say anything else, because forcing food down my throat wasn't gonna win her way to my heart as I headed to the stairs, not before patting Charlie on the shoulder and whispering, "hope you like the shits."

This earned me a very startled look despite my evident amusement.

Heading up to the bathroom, it didn't take me long to discard my clothes and hop into the shower to rid a overall confusing week. Dealing with Edward Cullen's bipolar mannerisms just gave me incredibly painful whiplashes every time I thought I got a resolute idea of who Edward really was and often times he managed to surprise me. He was unpredictable. And in some retrospect, I sort of liked it.

But, then reality presented itself. I still had no idea how Edward saved me or how he managed to stop the van with just his hand. And I also didn't know why I've been imagining magical tattoos appearing on my arm or experiencing strange nightmares about man-eating monsters and the man who murdered my father.

Maybe it was trauma. Maybe I was going crazy.

All I knew was that I needed answers. And not just run of the mill vague type of answers. Answers that explained what the hell was going on in this conceivably bizarre town.

What was happening to me.

The steam abided me no sense of comfort and the contradicting ways my breathing fell against the broiling hot water only had me pressing my head against the cool tiles. I felt dizzy, heavy, almost faint.

One breath at a time.

It took me a moment to realize I was having another anxiety attack. And the cool tiles only added to the fact I was still standing and haven't passed out cold.

I shouldn't have been surprised. It's been like this ever since it happened. But I refused to accept it as anything but my brain having a mental breakdown. That it was nothing more then a loose cannon of emotions. I didn't want to believe or recognize the trauma. I just wanted to forget.

Forgetting made it easier to cope. And I wasn't exactly keen on giving Kimi another reason to send me to a mental hospital or parent-counseling treatments just so we could 'shape' our unstuffy foundations and start over.

In some way, ever since I came to his town, one thing has kept me on my toes. One person has made me both incredibly annoyed while also being incredibly fascinated.

A distraction. A distraction I never knew I needed until now.

Edward Cullen was a mystery and I was adamant to uncover that mystery, as stupid as it sounded.

"Eloise," he sang ominously out.

Shhhh. Don't breathe. Don't breathe. Don't look. Heavenly Father—who art tho—

"Found you,"

I nearly screamed when I found myself veering off the side of the right lane of the road and straight into a truck driver had his horn not been blaring to garner my attention. Somehow, I managed to swerve just in time, a flood of shock managing to overcome my senses despite my crippling terror of what just happened.

Driving still, I swallowed a thick breath, blinking rapidly.

Holy shit. Did I just nearly die?

Reality settled in once I finally regained some composure, but the fact remained that I wasn't all there.

And somehow my mind nearly had me submitting to an early funeral.

None of that mattered though. The man with red eyes continued to haunt me, day and night. Everywhere I went alongside the strange symbols and the burning pain that once every moon liked to surprise me.

I felt like I was going insane. Maybe I was. All I knew was that I needed to keep driving straight.

Mike and the others were expecting me.

Oh God, why did I have to agree to this? Why couldn't I have just spent the rest of this year without conforming to a stupid social group? I would have managed perfectly and no doubt less likely chances of putting myself in danger.

Plus, you had to actually commit to things. Bond. I hated commuting to unnecessary social events, unless it involved food.

Where the hell was Newton Olympic Outfitters anyways?

Aside from the fuzzy endless lines of verdure, I did manage to find the store, though in a guarantee of ten minutes looping around aimlessly. If it wasn't for Mike's blatantly obnoxious yellow suburban, I probably would have never found the place. In the parking lot, I could spot the group standing in front of his car. Eric was there, alongside Jessica, Angela, and Mike. Each looked particularly bored.

At least Mike was happy to see me.

"You came!" he called in a delighted voice, garnering everyone else's attention. "And I said it would be sunny today, didn't I?"

He seemed oddly proud about that.

"I told you guys I was coming," I reminded with a soft smile. "Would've brought beer too but you know. The sheriff keeps a tight lock on his Stella's."

"Oh don't worry. Eric's got that covered," Mike dismissed with a shrug as he slugged an arm around my shoulder, instantly crinkling Jessica's nose. Great. It would seem the Mike and Jessica tension was still at its peak.

  I quipped a brow, shifting my attention to said man. He then whipped out an interesting looking plastic card with the name, "Jackie Chan, coach to an ivy lead football squad and professor of the quantum physics department," Eric exclaimed with a very smug grin, as if the name itself wasn't cool enough.

It wasn't.

"Jackie Chan? Really?" I laughed.

"What? People say I look like him," Eric defended. "Look, it worked, alright. I got three packs plus some soft drinks for the ladies." He began to wiggle his eyes at the girls, obviously implying something else entirely.

  "Okay, let's be real here. The only reason he got away with buying beers is because the guy at the register didn't even look up. You guys never would have pulled it off if he had. I mean, really, Jackie Chan? You couldn't at least be a bit more creative?" Jessica scoffed, not at all impressed as she crossed her arms over her chest and leaned against the passenger side.

Eric and Mike exchanged brief looks before Eric exclaimed, "What? You don't think I look like Jackie Chan? I feel like that's pretty racist of you."

"Oh grow up," Angela butted in lightly, obviously not letting the victim card play in.

"You know, I feel like I'm being attacked here, and I had managed to snag some pot from my brother, but seeing how you guys are being complete dicks, I'm not gonna be generous and offer any," Jessica's face nearly dropped a hundred degrees below cold as her eyes grew dangerously icy, but Mike seemed very happy about this as he clapped Eric on the back.

"Shit man. I didn't think your brother had any left," Mike uttered with an obviously eager attitude.

Eric shrugged, his eyes dancing wildfire to the girls, "Over three grams. And it's all ours. But, you know, with persuasion, I can probably afford you guys a couple of stubs."

"Oh screw you Eric," Jessica snapped, already annoyed. "I don't need to get high to have a good time. Because unlike you, I actually know how to have a good time without being a big dope."

Eric merely rolled his eyes, not at all caring about Jessica's fruitless insults. Angela merely sighed, probably having dealt with both their bickers more then a tenfold. I, on the other hand, found the idea of weed for once in my life kind of a blessing.

"I'll have some," I volunteered, feeling somewhat relieved of the idea I can relax without forcing myself to. The anxiety attacks have only gotten worse, and as for my nightmares, we'll, let's just say eight hours of sleep isn't in my healthy regime of a steady diet.

Mike and Eric were particularly surprised, Jessica scoffed like I was just joining in on the fun because I wanted to seem cool, and Angela sported a very uncertain look like how a mother would when debating if she should have the serious talk.

"Alright, Texas, take a whiff of pure ecstasy," Eric sang as he passed me a joint.

I inhaled the musky smoke like a personal heroine—it definitely tasted awful. Like a dead skunk or dried up herbs, but for once in my life, it did the job right. The warm smoke filtered my lungs like a leather-book case, compacted and warm. In anticipation, Eric and Mike watched me with funny expressions on their face, like I was a child tasting ice cream for the first time as they awaited my reaction. I tried not to cough, but the more I held it in, the harsher my lungs ripped at each other and I started heaving. The two guys laughed, taking another drag while the girls seemed highly disinterested from this patently stupid idea.

"That tastes awful," I gagged. There was a slight fuzziness in my chest and head though that wasn't there before.

"This is the best in the county. My brother has it on good authority from his dealers. Like an orgasm," Eric empathized like he worshipped the drug. I could start to see his eyes were turning a veiny red—Mike and him looked incredibly stoned.

"You guys are so lame. Sometimes I question why I hang out with you idiots," Jessica scowled, her nose wrinkled in disgust. "Can you smoke the other way? Ugh. The smell is gonna stain my clothes."

Eric merely ignored her, passing Mike the joint. This occurred like an exchange of high because somehow, Eric now found Jessica very funny as he and Mike giggled like kids on a little inside joke.

"Hey, so uh, I thought Edward what's his name was tagging along with you?" Mike suddenly asked, his eyes suspiciously too curious.

"Nope. Just me," I lied, hoping that my lie wasn't translucent. But also wishing that it was a lie because a funny part of me knew he wasn't going to show up. It seemed Edward only did so on his own account.

"That's too bad," Jessica sighed, looking more glum then Mike's suddenly reformed happiness. "I would've loved to see him in board shorts."

Angela smirked, "I highly doubt he would wear board shorts. . .Trousers maybe."

Jessica shrugged, a dreamy look occurring in her gaze, "Or speedos. . ."

"We'll revel in the dream ladies. The dude isn't coming. He's probably afraid of the water—that or he hates crowds like some weird loner," Eric mentioned casually, chuckling an unbeknownst thought to himself. Probably trying to imagine Edward even hanging out with all of this. I couldn't really see it.

Disappoint stemmed from the fact.

"Yeah well, Cullen is a freak. He's probably one of those kids who snitches and tells their parents everything when it comes to pot and shit," Mike commented with an annoyed grimace. Probably centered on the fact the girls were daydreaming about him.

I was just hoping this conversation was going to end soon. Thinking about Edward made me frustrated and frustration led to more thinking.

Without a moment to spare, I snagged the joint from Eric's lips, earning quite an irritated mumbled 'hey!' I ignored him of course and inhaled the disgusting smoke like it was my second nature. The gang watched me incredulously, Mike seemingly impressed I didn't cough this time.

"So, uh, you guys ready to go?" Mike suddenly asked with a smack of his hands, a very anticipated grin lingering on his lips.

The gang's attitude immediately seemed to lift as we each hopped into the back of the van. Of course, to my chagrin, Mike suddenly stepped in front of me, opening the passenger door up beside the driver seat. I couldn't exactly say no as I thanked him and saddled myself in. The rest were hanging loose in the back—I was instantly engulfed in a heavy musk of saturated cologne and weed. There was also a lot of fast food wrappers littered across the floorboards and was that melted cheese? Disgusting.

"Jesus, have you ever heard of a car detail Mike? This is disgusting!" Jessica recoiled as she tried to find the cleanest looking seat in the back—unfortunately, the closest bare area was a pile of clothes. Dirty or clean was undecided, but by the way Jessica held her nose, it didn't take a genius to know they were dirty. I couldn't help but chuckle a little.

  Mike seemed entertained as well as he turned the key into the ignition and the rumble of life encompassed her screeching whines. Eric was practically hanging on the edge of both our seats, hovering like an excited kid going to Disneyland. Angela was quietly preparing herself in a secluded area of the van where I saw her pull out a book from class. It didn't surprise me she was studying even when everyone was supposed to be having fun. Angela chose to spend her time productively I noticed which was something I admired about her.

  "This baby has outlived more shit then your grandparents!" Mike claimed with a snicker. "So you should be appreciating her. She's got character."

"This car smells like mold and greasy fries," Jessica snapped back, clearly not enjoying the back and probably angry Mike chose me to sit passenger then her.

It was no better up here then back there.

"Don't listen to her," Mike whispered seductively to his steering wheel as he stroked it, "she's just jealous you have more personality."

"I heard that," Jess scoffed.

Eric took me by surprise when he popped up beside me, offering a bag of candy, I gathered. "Licorice?"

Smiling, I took one with a small thanks as he nodded casually before heading into the back once Mike began driving. Thankfully, the whole drive there was only fifteen minutes to La Push with gorgeous overflowing verdure. No surprise there. The road was windy getting there, but the scenic view made up for it. The Quillayute River snaked beneath the edge of the road—it reminded me of the time my dad and I hiked up in Colorado. Although it was a lot more wintry and cold, the beach and ocean was dark gray with spotted sunlight dancing across the crescent edges. White capped rocky shores were the main attraction of La Push with the cliff sights reaching to uneven summits. The beach itself was pretty empty aside from the few surfers grazing the waves and those sitting on the shore. Compared to a California beach, it was very dark and grey, but close up, I could start to see specs of sea green and lavender as well as dull gold. Drift wood and forests lined the edges as we drove closer to a row of parking spaces leading down to the beach.

Once Mike parked the van, we each got out, Jess and Mike being the first to put on their wet suits. Eric was also following suit, but he was seemingly engrained in a heated argument with Mike about which Star Wars trilogy movie is better.

"Where's your wet suit?" Jess suddenly asked me, her brows furrowed as she zipped up her suit in one quick motion. Her surf board was already sanded down and leaning against the van ready to go.

I grimaced as I glanced at the water. Pelicans dove and circled above, while the clouds themselves threatened to invade any moment. For now, the sun was shining on us, but I only knew it was a matter of time before it was covered.

"I forgot to bring one," I lied throughly straight teeth.

Jessica didn't seem at all that disappointed, but I gathered from how Mike wasn't giving enough attention to Jess, she probably was desperate to have someone else to attend to her needs.

"What about you Ang? You coming with?"

Angela looked up, having been taking pictures of the ocean and such, and seemed almost comically caught off guard, "Oh uh, I think I'll sit this one out. I'm not really in the mood."

Jessica sighed, grabbing her board, "You guys are such buzz kills."

I felt slightly stoned, so when a thought managed to invade my head, I didn't think to filter it. "Hey Mike!" He was just about to finish up zipping his suit when he turned around. I motioned for him to come over which he did. Jessica looked very confused.

"You going in?" Mike seemed hopeful I was going to surf but when I shook my head, the gleam in his eyes instantly vanished.

"Jess needs help with her suit. I tried zipping it up but I just can't pull it," I not too subtly winked at Jess who finally seem to catch on. She quickly unzipped her suit before Mike could catch her and smiled shyly at him. Angela nudged my shoulder knowingly as we both winked at Jess.

I didn't fail to notice Mike's eyes lingering a little too long on Jess's ass nor did I fail to notice the slightly less petulant attitude of her towards me.

"Okay we'll you losers enjoy sitting in the cold. We're gonna go hit some motherfucking waves man!" Eric suddenly declared, an invigorated smile scorching us blind.

"Oh my God. Please tell me you did not get your teeth bleached! I mean, I feel blinded," Angela gasped, her eyes practically squinting looking at Eric.

He smirked, taking on a seductive manner, "Hey, these bad babies are what catches the ladies. You noticed them, didn't you?"

"I noticed how they blinded me, yes," Angela incredulously remarked. "Why couldnt you just get a tattoo like a normal teenager?"

"Because first off, my mom is a Christian Asian and she'd kill me if she found out, and second off, it's a known fact that having good oral hygiene keeps you alive longer," Eric quipped.

"Dude, why are you afraid of your mom? It's kind of lame," Mike laughed.

Eric gave us all a rather unholy glare, "You don't know the wrath of my mother like I do. I've seen things—things I can't ever unsee."

"Okay, are we gonna surf or not. I'm getting bored," Jess complained.

"Catch you on the flip side baby," Eric then winked at Angela whom rolled her eyes like that wasn't the stupidest and weirdest thing to say to someone without context.

Once they were out of ear shot and it was just me and Angela taking comfort in the four paneled van and it's heated insulation, I finally turned to Angela with a cocked brow.

She was smiling like a giddy school girl. It didn't take her long to notice me staring. "What?" She questioned.

"Nothing. I just think it's cute," I idly commented.

Angela bit her lip, her eyes slightly dopey. "What are you talking about?"

"Okay, I may be blind, but I'm not that blind," She didn't seem to follow so I gestured my head to the only Asian kid on the beach wearing a teenage mutant wet suit. "He obviously likes you. And it wouldn't take a genius to guess he's probably gonna ask you to the dance."

Angela's eyes practically lit up like a wild fire. "You think so?"

I chuckled, "Girl, I know so. He calls you baby and practically fends for your attention. I would say that's a definite yes."

And to leave out the part that he asked me out to the dance. I figured, the more my friends were consumed with their own love life the less likely they'll try to assume or dwell into mine.

But, like everything else in my life, it always bites me back.

"You know, I'm not the only one here who's found a potential date to the formal," Angela hinted, a large impish smirk reigning free on her face.

I instantly found myself heating up. "It's not like that." 

"Really? Because from the way he always stares at you and practically is everywhere you are, I would say it's more then a little crush. Edward's never done that to like anyone in school. He avoids everyone like the plague so for him to even remotely be interested in you is like him declaring his love," she giggled enthustically to me.

"I don't even know him," I countered, feeling somewhat muddled and slightly overwelmed by her insinuations. I mean, sure, he was hot, incredibly hot, but his personality seemed distorted. Trying to keep up with him is like trying to keep up with an athlete. His bipolar changes has me running around in circles and I feel like I'm not even close to getting answers. It's frustrating.

Angela didn't seem thwarted by this however. "We'll, he seems pretty interested in you, I'd say that's a start."

I found myself chuckling dryly, earning a curious look from Angela. "What?" She probed.

"It's just, I don't know, he did ask me out to dinner instead of the dance and I guess I'm just, I don't know, I'm very confused. One moment he's super sweet and the next he's pushing me away and acting like a complete and utter douche," I sighed, pinching my nose. Whether it was the cold or my annoyance, I felt a little irritated sitting still. Maybe it was Angela's interrogating stare that made me feel itchy.

"I would say he's just being a normal teenage boy. I don't think you should put too much thought into it. Eric is so moody all the time, I sometimes forget he's driven by hormones and the need for sex. Besides, when we're you going to tell me he asked you out? That's like amazing! Are you gonna go?" Her attention was peaked at this point, but it made the conversation all the more strained for me. When did this turn into talking about Edward?

I laughed, "I don't know. I said I would, but right now, it just seems kind of, weird. I don't really know him. In fact, he's really frustrating. He's just really hard to keep up with."

"So, sounds to me like it's the beginning of a fall in the deep kind of romance? A quarrel between haters to lovers?" She nudged my shoulder mischeviously, implying this was going to be something serious.

"I don't know," a nauseous feeling soon settled in my stomach, "It's. . .confusing."

"When is romance ever not confusing?" Angela huffed, agreeing with me. "I feel like I'm always putting myself out there, but Eric acts oblivious. Like, he seems to like me, but we never actually talk about it. He still hasn't asked me to the dance."

"We'll, why don't you? I mean, you're a strong independent woman. I think Eric is just afraid you'll reject him," a horrible guilt overcame me, "I think that's everyone's fear honestly."

There was a long moment of pensive pondering before Angela smiled at me softly. "Thanks El. I haven't really had anyone to talk about this. I mean, I've told Jess, but she's been so up in arms about Mike, she hasn't really been in the right head space to get advice or listen. So thanks."

I smiled in turn, "Yeah, of course. Besides, if you really want me to be honest, I think Eric is kind of a dork."

Angela laughed, "Yeah, but a cute dork."

When Mike, Eric, and Jess finally got back, we decided to barbecue and join a group of reservation kids campfire who Mike and Eric seemed to make quick friends with.

As we got close to join them, I could see the straight black hair and copper skin of the newcomers. The food was already being passed around and the boys hurried to take claim a share while Eric introduced us to the driftwood circle. Angela and I were the last to arrive, and, as Eric said our names, I noticed a younger boy sitting on the stones near the fire glance up at me in interest. I decided to sit next to Angela as Mike brought us sandwiches and an array of sodas to choose from. All I caught was that one of the girls was named Jessica and the boy who noticed me was named Jacob.

In some way, I enjoyed spending time with Angela. She was a restful person to be around—she didn't feel the need to fill silence with chatter. She left me free to think undisturbed as we ate. While some part of me relished in that, another part of me couldn't stop dwelling on what she said. It only added to the confusion I had about Edward and I and where we stood. I wouldn't call us friends and neither would I call us closer then friends or anything romantically. I felt like we were at a standstill, waiting for what the other was planning to do next. Kind of like competitors in a strange way, but competing for answers, I guess.

Everyone aside from the youngest kid Jacob and I, decided they would do one more hike before it got dark to the tide pools leaving us alone around the fire. It didn't take long for Jacob to take Angela's sit beside me—he looked fourteen, maybe fifteen and had long glossy black hair concealed beneath a beanie. His skin was copper and smooth, having the same tone as mine, but his eyes were far more russet and dark then my own sitting above heavily set cheekbones. He still had a childish roundness to his face, but a pretty angular and cut one. He was cute. However, my opinion of his looks was immediately dampened when he opened his mouth.

"You're Eloise West, Charlie Swan's niece, aren't you?"

It was like the first day all over again.

"El, actually."

"I'm Jacob Black," he held his hand out in a friendly manner. "My dad is friends with your uncle."

"Oh," I said, relieved, shaking his sleek hand. "You're Billy's son right? Charlie's talked about you guys before."

"Yeah?" He seemed oddly excited about that. "My dad said you're temporarily staying in Forks or—?"

"Um, yeah. My step mom is figuring some things out right now and we're kind of just staying with Charlie for the time being. He was really cool allowing us to stay," I briefly overruled the fact my dad was murdered and that was why we left. I hoped Charlie didn't say anything to anyone about that. And as far as I could tell, he hadn't. Just another reason why I liked Charlie.

"Oh, cool. So, uh, how you liking Forks so far?"

"Can I be perfectly honest?" He nodded, catching on to my sheepish grin. "I hate the weather, I feel like I'm turning white even though I'm black, and there's one bathroom in the whole household that is often times occupied by Kimi, my step mom, or Charlie. It's—"

"Frustrating?"

I sighed, "Yeah. It's just hard trying to restart somewhere new when I didn't want to move in the first place. Kimi just kind of decided this was my new life. I don't know. I feel like I'm readjusting, and it's really confusing."

Not to mention weird phenomena s and an annoying emo boy throwing me loops.

Jacob laughed, "You should try living with five boys, including your cousins. We have two bathrooms and somehow it's never not locked."

I grimaced, "Okay, you win. That sounds a lot worst then what I deal with."

He chuckled some more, "I work around it. So, aside from the gruesome weather and you turning into a cracker, is there anything you do like or find cool?"

I grinned, "Would it sound bad if I said the only cool thing was the record store?"

Jacob shook his head, "No, I would actually agree with you. Forks is pretty lame. But, with a little creative thinking, you can do pretty awesome stuff."

"Like what?" I challenged.

"Like cliff diving."

"Cliff diving? Isn't that like suicidal?"

"Not if you jump from a reasonable height. My cousins do it all the time," he shrugged idly.

"That's insane," I breathed.

It didn't take long for the trio to return and soon they were all bursting with aftermath glow of warm bellies and sneaky sips of beer. And with beer cones intrusive Jess apparently.

"Do you guys know each other or something?" Jess asked, curious and swaying slightly.

I shook my head, "Nope. This is the first time meeting."

"Huh," she then seemed to lead on to another subject when she said, "I was just saying to Mike that it was too bad the Cullens couldn't it make it out here today. Didn't anyone think to invite them?" Her expression of deep annoyance was obviously settled on me. I did invite Edward but he continues to be a no show.

"You mean Dr. Carlisle Cullen's family?" the tall, older boy asked before I could respond, much to my chagrin. He was really closer to being a man then a boy with how deep and guttered his voice sounded.

"Yeah, how do you guys know them?" she asked aimlessly.

"The Cullens don't come here," he said in a tone that closed the subject, ignoring her question.

Taken aback, I found myself staring at the guy in deep confusion. It sounded omnious and almost like a warning the way he said it. Disgust obviously edged in his voice. His tone overall implied something more—like they weren't allowed or that they were banned from this place. I tried putting it out of my mind, but it somehow only got under my skin more, adding to the weirdness of my life's latest events.

Jacob, to my annoyance, managed to disrupt my thinking. "So is Forks driving you insane yet?"

"Oh," I took a long sip of my beer, something Jacob pretended he didn't notice. "I'd say that's an understatement."

I was still trying to overturn the brief comment about the Cullens, but it made me think. Jacob seemed young and naive enough. So I hoped he wouldn't see my pitiful attempts at being flirty so as to get more of the story with the Cullens.

I needed answers.

"Do you want to walk down the beach with me?"

It didn't take Jacob a second before he jumped up willingly, permitting me first leave before following suit. As we walked along the shore, I didn't fail to notice how many degrees the temperature had dropped and how the clouds were finally forming to create no doubt a surly looking rain storm. I shoved my hands well within my pockets.

"So, you're what, sixteen?" I asked casually.

"Fifteen, actually," he confessed, sounding flattered.

"Really?" My face was full of false surprise. "I would have thought you were older."

"I'm tall for my age," he explained.

"Do you come up to Forks much?" I asked archly.

"Not a lot, no," he admitted with a frown. "But when I get my car finished I can go up as much as I want until I get my license."

"Who was that other boy Jessica was talking to?" He seemed a little old to be lumping it with younger kids.

"That's Sam," he informed me. "He's nineteen."

"What was that he was saying about the doctor's family?"

I hoped I wasn't putting Jacob off, but he didn't seem to mind.

"The Cullens? Oh, they're not supposed to come on the reservation." He looked away, which only further confirmed something else was going on.

"Why not?"

Jacob pursed his lips, an almost nervous look settling on his face. "I'm not suppose to say anything, but, okay, do you like scary stories?"

"Are you kidding? I love them."

Jacob paused, standing somewhat askew as he licked his lips, no doubt anticipating my reaction. I made myself seem highly intrigued as he finally asked me, "Do you know any of our old stories—about where we came from? The Quileutes, I mean?"

"Not really," I admitted.

"We'll, there are a lot of legends. Some of them dating back to the Flood. Supposedly, the ancient Quileutes tied their canoes to the tops of the tallest trees on the mountains to survive like Noah and the ark." He smiled, to show me just how much history he was acknowledgeable in.

"Another legend claims that we are descended from wolves and that the wolves are our brothers still. It's against tribal law to kill them."

"Then there are the stories about the cold ones," Jacob's voice somehow lowered, an edge patent in his voice.

"The cold ones?" I asked, "What is that? Some patronage to a cult?"

"Uh, something like that. There's stories of the cold ones, as old as the wolf legends, and some much more recent. According to the legend, my great grandfather knew some of them. He was the one who made a treaty that kept them off our land." He rolled his eyes.

"Your great grandfather?" I probed.

"He was a tribal elder, like my father. The cold ones are basically like the natural enemies of the wolf—well not the wolf, exactly, but the wolves that turn into men. Like our ancestors. You guys call them werewolves."

"Werewolves?" I tried to stifle my obvious dubiety, but Jacob easily caught on.

"Only one," he was trying to scare me as he paused for effect. "The cold ones are traditionally our enemies. But this pack that came to our territory during my great grandfather's reign was different. They didn't hunt the way others of their kind did. They weren't supposed to be dangerous to the tribe. So my great grandfather made a truce with them. If they would promise to stay off our land, we wouldn't expose them to the pale faces."

"If they're dangerous, then why...?"

"There's always a risk for a human to be around a cold one. Even if they're civilized like this clan was. You never know when they might get too hungry to resist." He deliberately worked an edge of menace in his voice.

"Civilized?"

"They claimed that they didn't hunt humans. They supposedly were somehow able to prey on animals instead."

I tried to keep my voice casual. "So how does this all fit in with the Cullens then? Are they like the same as the ones that met your great grandfather?"

"Maybe,"he paused dramatically. "Or they're the same ones, only coming back this time." He must have thought the expression on my face was fear because he no sooner smiled in a pleased manner before he continued.

"There are more of them now. A new female and a male. In the time of my gray grandfather, they already knew of the leader Carlisise. He'd been here and gone before your people arrived." He was fighting a smile.

"So, what are they? The cold ones?"

He smiled darkly.

"Blood drinkers," he replied in a chilling voice. "Or what your people call them, vampires."

I felt my heart stop and my breath lodge itself into my throat. A trail of goosebumps no sooner traveled my spine.

"You have goosebumps," he laughed.

"You're good at telling stories," I aimlessly uttered, my breath askew.

"Pretty crazy stuff though, right? No wonder my dad doesn't want me telling this stuff to people."

I couldn't control the expression enough to look at him yet. "Don't worry. I'm good at keeping secrets."

"I guess I just violated the treaty," he laughed then.

"I'll take it to the grave," I promised him.

"Seriously though. Don't say anything to Charlie. He was pretty mad at my dad when he heard that some of us weren't going to the hospital since Dr. Cullen works there."

"I won't. I promise."

"So, you think we're a bunch of superstitious natives or what?" he asked in a playful way, but with a hint of worry.

"No, I just think you're really good at telling stories."

Jacob smiled, "Cool."

And then the sound of rocks clattering warned us someone was approaching. Our heads snapped up to see Mike and Jessica about fifty yards walking our way.

"There you are, El," Mike called over in relief.

"Is that your boyfriend?" Jacob asked, alerted by the jealous edge in Mike's voice.

I sighed, "No, definitely not."

This seemed to make Jacob smirk slightly. "So when I get my license. . ."

"You should come see me in Forks. We could hangout sometime," I offered. Jacob seemed cool. And I felt bad for using him so it only seemed fair to invite him over sometime.

Mike had reached us now with Jessica in tow. I could see his eyes fully take in Jacob, now noticing how young he was. Like a switch, I think he figured there was no threat and his smile returned.

"Where have you been? We were looking everywhere for you," Mike seemed breathless, as if he couldn't see I was obviously talking with Jacob.

  "Jacob and I got to talking—he was telling me some pretty creepy stories."

I smiled at Jacob which he fired back.

"We'll," Mike paused assessing the situation as hand as he watched our camaraderie. "We're packing up. It looks like it's going to rain soon."

We all then looked up at the glowering sky. Great.

"Yeah, okay, I'm coming."

"It was nice to meet you again," Jacob said, and I could tell he was taunting Mike just a bit.

"Yeah, um, next time Billy stops by at Charlie's, I guess I'll see you then?"

His grin stretched across his face. "Yeah. That'll be cool."

"Bye, Jacob."

"Bye, El!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 83 19
๐€ ๐Ÿ๐ž๐ฐ ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ง๐ ๐ฌ ๐š๐›๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ฅ๐ข๐Ÿ๐ž ๐ฐ๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐ฎ๐ง๐Ÿ๐š๐ข๐ซ ๐ญ๐จ ๐‚๐จ๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ข๐ง๐ฌ: ๐Ÿ๐ข๐ซ๐ฌ๐ญ, ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ฉ๐š๐ซ๐ž๐ง๐ญ๐ฌ ๐ฐ๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐ฆ๐จ๐ฏ๐ข๐ง๏ฟฝ...
96.9K 2.7K 16
(๐ง.) ๐‘๐ž๐๐š๐ฆ๐š๐ง๐œ๐ฒ ๐š๐ง ๐š๐œ๐ญ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฏ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐จ๐ง๐ž ๐ฐ๐ก๐จ ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ฌ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ; ๐š ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž ๐ซ๐ž๐ญ๐ฎ๐ซ๐ง๐ž๐ ๐ข๐ง ๐Ÿ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ˆ๐ง ๐ฐ๐ก๏ฟฝ...
290K 6.6K 40
"๐™”๐™ค๐™ช ๐™ก๐™š๐™›๐™ฉ ๐™ฌ๐™๐™š๐™ฃ ๐™„ ๐™ฃ๐™š๐™š๐™™๐™š๐™™ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™–๐™ฎ, ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™ก๐™ก ๐™„ ๐™ก๐™ค๐™ซ๐™š๐™™ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™–๐™ก๐™ก ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™จ๐™–๐™ข๐™š." OR ใ€Œ๐˜๐˜ฏ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ค๐˜ฉ ๏ฟฝ...
168K 5.3K 21
"๐˜๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ ๐ก๐ฎ๐ฆ๐š๐ง ๐ฅ๐ข๐Ÿ๐ž ๐ฐ๐š๐ฌ ๐ฌ๐ข๐ฆ๐ฉ๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐ฃ๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ญ ๐š ๐œ๐จ๐œ๐จ๐จ๐ง". ๐๐จ๐ญ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฆ๐จ๐ฌ๐ญ ๐œ๐จ๐ฆ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ญ๐จ ๐ก๐ž๐š๐ซ ๐š๏ฟฝ...