The Fear of Letting Go (BoyXB...

By Needing_SomeHale

** SEQUEL TO THE FEAR OF FALLING APART** I have never really thought of myself as a bad guy. I mean, don't g... More

Chapter One; Liam Weekes
Chapter Two; I Can't Skate
Chapter Four; Practically Part of the Family
Chapter Five; I Take West Clubbing
Chapter Six; Hung- The Fuck- Over
Chapter Seven; Kai Avery
Chapter Eight; Almost Date
Chapter Nine; The Past is Past
Chapter Ten; Open the Door
Chapter Eleven; Date Day (Part One)
Chapter Twelve; Date Day (Part Two)
Chapter Thirteen; The Unperfect End to the Perfect Date
Chapter Fourteen; Lucky
Chapter Fifteen; If We're Going to Do This (Part 1)
Chapter Sixteen; If We're Going to Do This (Part 2)
Chapter Seventeen; Hit Her with the Hose
Chapter Eighteen; Vacation Days
Epilogue: Five Years in the Future

Chapter Three; Night Swimming

13.2K 674 476
By Needing_SomeHale

I tossed the ball up once again and caught it with ease, sighing. I glanced over at the clock, almost groaning in annoyance.

It's only 10:36 and I was still having no luck falling asleep. As usual, I was bored as hell, stuck all alone in my room. Blake was right about one thing.

I need friends.

I flicked on the TV and turned over on my stomach, leaning on my hand to flip through channels. I had become so familiar with all of them, I practically knew the TV schedule, so you'd think I would know by now that there was nothing really on at this hour, but here I am, once again, just sitting here flipping through show after show, just desperate for anything to grab my attention.

A soft ping at my window pulled me away from the TV. I quirked a brow but decided to ignore it, dismissing it as a bug, until it happened once again. And again. And again. And again. Groaning, more annoyed at the fact that I had to get up than anything, I sat up, flicked my desk lamp on and raked a hand through my hair, walking to the window. I threw it open and glanced around outside.

I raised my brow and looked around, starting to open my mouth again when something sailed into my open mouth. Wrinkling my nose, I spit it to the side, cursing, as the bitter, salty taste of a rock set in. "What the hell?!"

"Liam!" A voice called and I blinked. I know that voice. I know that voice. I narrowed my eyes and groaned, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Geez, what-ever-your-name-is, what the hell are you doing at my bloody window at 10:36 at night? Are you out of your mind?!" I whisper-yelled in annoyance. I struggled to get my eyes to adjust, staring focused into the darkness until finally, I saw movement. I focused on the movement and watched as his silhouette pulled back, chucking another pebble at my head.

He missed.

"It's West!" He shouted softly and I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, yeah," I started, leaning on my hand. "If you're looking for Kai, you've got the wrong room. I think he's in Blake's room but I wouldn't recommend going in there-,"

"I'm not here for Kai," West said simply, kicking at the grass. I raised a brow and lifted up from my hand.

"Then what are you here for? Don't tell me you meant to throw rocks at my window?"

"I came for you, actually," he stated and I could see the gleam of his teeth as he smiled. I felt my face heat up, my heart beating a little bit faster. He seemed to notice my silence and his eyes widened, shaking his head, embarrassed. "Don't get the wrong idea. A few friends of mine were meeting up and I-I was wondering if you wanted to come with. You always seem so lonely and I figured-,"

"Not interested," I started, trying to hide the redness of my cheeks that he could probably see. I feel like I'm glowing in the dark. I waved my hand in a shooing motion. "Find someone else to bother."

I started to close the window but he stopped me, holding up his hands. "Come on, Liam, stop it. I know that you want a friend, okay? And it just so happens that I'm in the market for one too. So, why don't we help each other out? It'll be fun."

I paused, tapping my fingers against the window. "You don't know me."

"Let's change that then, huh?" He said, his teeth gleaming in the dark. "You don't know me either."

I hesitated, biting my lip. What the hell was his game? What was he playing at? West seemed to read my mind as he spoke again.

"No angle. I just want to be friends," He began, raking a hand through his hair. "I bet you're sick of being alone. I am too."

"I'm not going to be some replacement for Kai," I spat, shaking my head. I started to close the window but was once again stopped.

"Those were never my intentions. Do you really think I'd be so desperate?"

I stopped closing the window and paused, weighing my options. It's not like I really have anything better to do. I sucked in a breath. "Give me five minutes."

West threw his hands up in victory and I rolled my eyes, closing the window. I jogged to the closet and quickly threw off my sweats, pulling on some jeans. I slipped on some shoes and dragged a comb through my hair before walking out.

I tip toed, careful not to wake anybody up, and nearly jumped out of my skin as I nearly ran smack into Rose.

Her chocolate brown hair was pulled up into a messy bun atop her head and she wore pink silk pajamas. She carried a carton of cookie dough ice cream and a spoon was stuck in her mouth. Even though she wore a facemask, making her somewhat resemble someone who could be the sister of the Wicked Witch, she was still the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. I quickly put on a smile.

"Hello, Rosie," I beamed sweetly, putting my hands behind my back. "What are you doing awake at this late hour?"

She curled her lip and looked me up and down. She raised an eyebrow. "What are you doing? Are you sneaking out?"

I blinked and waved my hand. "Of course not, love! Do I look like I would ever-,"

"Lying doesn't make your situation any better," She said, shaking her head and dipping the spoon into the ice cream once again. Her stormy eyes crackled at me. "Do I look stupid?"

I chewed my lip and didn't say anything, causing her to huff in annoyance. She waved a hand.

"Look, I'm not going to get into this. It's your business and if you want to sneak out and get in trouble then be my guest," She said, pushing past me to her room. She glanced back with her hand on the door. "But don't bring me down with you. I never saw you tonight." She paused then pointed to me with her spoon. "And you never saw this ice cream."

She shut the door on me and I finally released the breath I didn't realize that I had been holding. I couldn't help but smile.

What a woman.

I slid down the stairs and quietly opened the door, slinking outside. I shut it and carefully tucked my keys into my pocket.

"West!" I hissed, almost jumping out of my skin when he practically in front of me. Before I could let out a scream, however, he quickly reached up, covering my mouth with his hand. I blinked as suddenly we were chest to chest and I realized... the background character is much more... sturdy than I imagined. I narrowed my eyes and shoved him away from me, resisting the urge to bite his hand. He gave me a lopsided grin.

"I think that's the first time you've ever said my name. I was starting to believe you didn't know it."

I flushed but quickly covered it with a scowl. I looked at him up and down, trying to make him out in the dark. He wore a light purple tee shirt and a baseball cap, hiding away his inky hair. Those eyes that couldn't seem to decide what color they were gleamed at me in the dark. "Don't get used to it. It won't happen again."

"Shit, you can never remember my name again, I'm more excited at the fact that I actually got you to come out with me."

"That's not going to happen again, either. So enjoy it while it lasts," I spat, rolling my eyes. I started to follow him as he began to walk, jamming my hands into my pockets. I eyed him from the corner of my eye. "And I have a cell phone, you know. You don't have to get my attention Romeo and Juliet style."

He snorted, shaking his head. "You barely even acknowledge my existence let alone gave me your phone number. Romeo and Juliet style was my best bet."

"What if I was already asleep?"

"You weren't though."

"But if I was?"

"But you weren't."

"Holy fuck, you're annoying. Do you see this? This is exactly why you don't have my phone number-," I stopped dead in my tracks, catching something metal gleaming in the moonlight. I pointed to the hunk of metal, quirked a brow. "What the fuck is this?"

West beamed at me proudly and tapped the shiny black hood. He was practically purring. "This right here is my baby. Her name is Patty and you'll show her the respect she deserves."

"The hell I will," I responded, crossing my arms. This thing looks like it's held together with rubber bands and dreams. I looked from the car, then to West. Finally, I shrugged and sighed, walking around to the passenger seat. "Actually, scratch that. This does not surprise me at all. You look like someone who would drive this piss-tank. Where are we even going? And are you sure this piece of shit can get that far?"

West rolled his eyes and shot me a look but shrugged once we both hopped into the car and the engine purred to life. "I don't really know actually. A friend of mine got their hands on some we-,"

"Oh, hell no," I practically shouted, shaking my head. West jumped at my outburst and peered over at me. I opened up the door to the Jeep. "I am not sneaking out and risking getting in trouble just to go smoke pot with you and your juvenile friends-,"

West grabbed my arm and practically yanked me back into the car, surprising me. My head snapped back to see him giving me what I can only assume is his version of the puppy dog face. His grip tightened.

"Alright, alright, don't be so hasty," He pleaded, slowly pulling me back. "We don't have to do that. They're going to a lake so I figured it'd be fun. Night swimming. We don't have to do any kind of drugs or anything that makes you uncomfortable. I'm not really looking to do anything like that anyway, I just wanted to hang out with you. I've already wasted thirty minutes trying to get your attention through the window. Don't make this a waste of a trip too."

I stared at him for a moment before quietly shutting the car door. I jerked my arm away from him and crossed my arms. I threw him a sideways glance. "Thirty minutes, huh?"

West nodded, a small smirk rising up on his lips as he began to pull out of the driveway.

"Yup. I was using some pretty big rocks too. I'm surprised it took so long to get your attention. I was thinking maybe you were just ignoring me."

I snorted, shaking my head, turning my gaze out of the window. I could see him smiling in the reflection.

"You know what," He started, peering over at me. I muttered an 'I don't care' but if he heard, he ignored it. He playfully nudged me with his elbow. "I think you're warming up to me. You secretly like me." 

I curled my lip. "Of course not. You're annoying. I can barely even remember your name."

I noticed his smile twitch and I almost smiled. He sighed.

"Every time I start to think that maybe you're a little bit human inside, you manage to fuck me over and hurt my feelings again," He muttered and I snickered. He seemed to notice and he slowly began to smile again, making me flush. Why the hell did he have to smile at me like that?

It makes me uncomfortable.

He pulled into what I was guessing was the lake he was talking about and we both hopped out. Almost as soon as we parked, there was a chorus of shouts from people that I was guessing was West's friends. Unconsciously, I scooted closer to him and jammed my hands into my pockets. West seemed to notice and glanced down at me with a compassionate yet amused look in his eyes. He playfully nudged me with his shoulder.

"Don't be nervous, okay? You'll like them," He smiled and I rolled my eyes. I sighed.

"I highly doubt that."

"At least just try to play nice, Liam."

"Yeah, well, what if they don't like me?" I muttered and he glanced over at me. He looked like he wanted to say something but it was too late. We were suddenly surrounded by people. I wrinkled my nose, stepping closer to West. West let out a nervous laugh as they all began to question just who I was.

"Guys, this is Liam," He stated, gesturing to me with a smile. I hesitantly raised a hand, peering around the group. "Liam, these are my friends. Since you can barely remember my name though, I wouldn't bother trying to memorize theirs."

I almost laughed but a girl in front of us, with strawberry blonde curls spilling over her shoulders spoke up.

"Aren't you that queer British kid?" She started, raising a perfectly plucked blonde brow. I flushed instantly, my smile dropping into more of a scowl. The guy beside her nodded, snapping his fingers.

"Yeah, yeah, you are!" He pursed his lips. "I remember seeing you following that Blake guy around everywhere, well, until Kai-,"

I felt my face heat up even more and I grit my teeth. I took a step closer to him, clenching my fist, but West beat me to the punch.

"Whether he is or not, is that any of your business?" West started, crossing his arms and looking around the group. He stood in front of me, protectively, honestly surprising me. "If anybody has a problem, you can say it right now. You'll get your ass kicked, but feel free to speak up. Anybody? No?"

The boy held up his hands in surrender and the girl blushed, hiding her face. The rest of the group laughed but I just stared at West. West flashed them all an oddly terrifying smile for someone who always seems so sweet. "Didn't think so. Now, who's ready to get down to business?"

They all muttered in agreement and started to walk away but I just stood there. West noticed me tense up and glanced back. He studied me, his eyes dropping to his feet.

"I-I'm sorry," He started, coming back to stand in front of me. "That was harsh. I didn't expect anyone to act like that. D-Do you want to leave? We can go somewhere else if you-,"

"Why did you get so defensive?" I interrupted, stepping closer to him, eyeing him. .

He paused, seeming to mull over the answer. He pursed his lips, shrugging. "I don't know. I don't like when people judge other people. Or make them feel bad about things they can't help. And ever since Kai came out-,"

"Kai gets bullied?" I asked, my eyebrows raising, surprised. West immediately shook his head, holding up his hands.

"No, no, he can take care of himself. Nobody fucks with him. And besides, Blake would kick their asses if they did," He laughed awkwardly, glancing over at the lake. "I just feel protective. He's my brother, you know?"

I crossed my arms slowly, turning up my nose. "I don't need you to stick up for me either. I can handle myself."

That earned me another smile.

"Oh, I don't doubt it. But you shouldn't have to."

I blinked at him but slowly nodded. He beamed at me and waved me over to follow him, heading towards his friends.

I awkwardly stuffed my hands in my pockets, sitting down beside West. Our legs brushed together and he gave me a smile. I felt my cheeks flushing but I quickly reached up to cover it.

The kids around us began to pass a joint around, the fire lighting up some of their faces and I could see who they were. Another girl, with honey colored eyes and chocolate hair smiled at me.

"So, what brings you by, Liam?" She asked with a sweet, high voice and I detected a hint of an accent.

"West wouldn't leave me alone until I agreed," I said simply and West smirked, hiding his face. The girl giggled, leaning on her hand.

"Well, I'm glad that you decided to come. You seem nice," She said, beaming. A boy beside her nodded in agreement, while West snorted.

"The more the merrier," Another boy stated, blowing out a puff of smoke and flashing me a smirk before passing it on to the boy beside him. This one wrinkled his nose and passed the joint along, not bothering to take a hit. Finally, it came to West's fingers and he twirled it around. I curled my lip and glanced away from it. Instantly, he pursed his lips and sighed before passing it back the boy who had started the circle to begin with. I raised a brow, eyeing West.

The night continued on like this until it was around 12 o'clock and the group started to spread out around the lake. Girls danced to the music that pulsed from the stereo. Boys shoved each other around and chased the girls. West and I stayed by the bonfire.

As I watched them, I found myself smiling.

It had been awhile since I just went out and had fun with other people. West's friends were very laid back and talkative. There was never a dull moment and they made sure I was never excluded. It was... nice, I guess.

West leaned back, taking off his hat and dragged a hand through his hair.

"Sorry about them," He apologized once more, sighing. "They can be a little, uh, overbearing."

Slowly, I shook my head and gave him a smile, drawing my knees to my chest. "No. They seem fun."

He shrugged, smirking. "At least you seem to be having fun. Aren't you glad that I dragged you along?"

I hesitated and looked at West from the corner of my eye. You know, he is pretty cute. He's sweet, funny at times, and he seems to care enough about my well being.

He was built, despite his tall and lean appearance. His eyes were wild yet calming and when he smiled, he had two dimples. Granted, while Kai was gold, West was certainly silver, West still had some shine. I felt my heart stutter.

Without skipping a beat, I leaned over, placing my hand on West's chin. He opened his mouth but I tipped his face up to look at me and I pressed my lips to his. I felt him tense under me but I simply pressed harder against him in attempt to make him relax.

His eyes went wide and he didn't move. I pulled him closer to me and gently rested my hand on the back of his neck. Slowly, his hands moved to my shoulders. I almost smiled against his lips, thinking he was going to pull me closer or finally kiss me back, but instead, he pushed me away.

I blinked in shock and West looked to the ground, his face turning a bright pink.

"L-Liam, I already told you," He sputtered, his grip on my shoulder tightening. "That's not why I brought you out here. I'm not gay."

I narrowed my eyes, feeling my defenses coming back up. I balled my hands into fists.

"Then why the hell are you so nice to me?" I demanded. He chewed at his lip, releasing my shoulder and looking out onto the water. "Why do you always invite me out to things and smile at me like that? I barely even know you, so why would you want to-,"

"I'm nice to you because I want to be your friend."

I grit my teeth, shaking my head. "Why the hell would you want that? I barely even know you. I'm always so mean to you and- and yet you're still so nice. Why would you want to be friends with someone like that?"

He hesitated, shrugging.

"I-I don't know. You always seem so lonely so I figured maybe I could help you out," He started, twiddling his fingers. I curled my lip and almost started to scream at him, until he looked down at his lap and his voice got much quieter. "And I've been kind of lonely lately too."

"What are you talking about? You're always with Kai."

"No, I'm not," He shook his head. "It used to always just be me, Kai, and Tory. Then Tory got a boyfriend and started blowing us off and I always thought that I wouldn't have to worry about that with Kai but, what do you know, he got a boyfriend too. I haven't hung out with Kai in weeks. Every time we come close, he cancels. They left me alone."

"Don't get me wrong; I love Blake and I don't blame Kai at all," He said, putting his head in his hands. "I'm happy for the both of them. Blake has even become one of my closest friends but it's just that I... I miss my brother, you know?"

I stared at him and sighed. I scooted closer to him, resting my head on his shoulder. He tensed up at first but quickly relaxed, resting his head against mine. Slowly, I nodded.

"I... I guess I get it," I answered softly, chewing my lip. "But sometimes it's easier being alone."

West looked down at me. "See, I don't like that you think that. It's not fun to be alone. Don't you want someone who you can talk to, who you can hang out with, someone that you can do all of this with? Aren't you tired of always having to chase after someone already gone, while you just sit in the house alone watching reruns of Bones on the TV? I know I am."

I couldn't help but chuckle at that. I reached up, looping my arm with his and snuggled further into his shoulder. I took him in, the smell of his mint body wash calming my nerves. I gave his arm a squeeze.

"Well, first of all, I don't watch Bones because I'm not a bored housewife. And second, I'm not alone now, am I?" I asked, watching as one of the boys fell backwards into the water, yanking another down with him. West looked down at me and I shrugged. "I guess I could give this whole 'friend' thing a shot. But, uh, fair warning, I'm not very good at it."

He laughed, resting his head against mine once again. I wound my fingers into his shirt, sucking in quietly. My voice dropped to a whisper and my red cheeks returned. "I'm sorry for kissing you."

West smirked and shook his head. He waved his hand. "Don't worry about it. 'S not the first time that it's happened."

I peaked up at him, raising my brow. "It isn't?"

He shook his head.

"No, I've kissed a guy before," He playfully nudged me with his elbow. "I can honestly say though that you're much better at it."

I snickered at that and stared at him. I narrowed my brows. "Who was it?"

His cheeks turned red and he shook his head, sticking his tongue out. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Oh, come on, tell me. We're friends now, right?"

He paused but a slow smile crept up his face. He sighed dramatically before dragging a hand through his hair and muttering, "It was Kai."

I almost pulled away from him. Key word, almost. "No way. You're kidding."

He shook his head, hiding his face in his hands. "Nope. He looked at me, said, 'West, I need you to kiss me' and before I had time to react, his tongue was in my mouth."

I laughed loudly, burying my face in his arm. He leaned on me, playfully swatting at me. "You can't tell him that though! I'll kick your ass."

"I'd love to see you try," I cackled, making him smirk. He shoved me backwards but I held onto his arm. Once I finally quieted down, I leaned on him once more. "Thanks for forcing me to come out with you, West. I'm actually kind of having fun."

A small smile slipped up his cheeks. "I knew you would. I knew I'd wear you down eventually."

I rolled my eyes, pulling him tighter to me. When he thought I wasn't looking, I saw him reach up to touch his lips. I felt my face heat up and I tried to ignore the pounding of my heart.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35K 1.4K 89
Life has always been the same. Eat. Sleep. Work. Repeat. All this while, it has been a hustle. I thought that finally I can take a breather. Until...
25.1K 956 25
Kidnapped and used for pleasure kTH ends up falling in love with his rapist and tormentor. . . Rescued after 6months and sent overseas he made a prom...
185K 5.7K 15
Disclaimer: this book ended up being more fluffy than smutty coz I lost inspo...I'm sorry πŸ₯ΊπŸ‘‰πŸΎπŸ‘ˆπŸΎ MORE IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: this book is a mess...