My Significant Bother

By Altheyuhmoves

Synopsis: To the one I love, I cannot stand you. In fact, I hate you. To my dearly detested... how do I lo... More

Prologue : Hate Letter
Nightmare at Ziggy's
Miss Minchin and her Bass
Payday or Payback?
Ambon/Bagyo
Uso Pa Ba Ang Harana?
Princess Turandot
Fiesta sa Nueva Esperanza
Expiration Date
St. Anthony's Retreat
Time is No Healer

Chasing the Shrew

2.3K 115 103
By Altheyuhmoves

"Yiheeee! Para sa charity na yan!!"

The student chanted.  They were still in that small booth and each minute felt like suffocation for both of them.

Narda still kept holding onto the other woman's delicate hand.   They were still chained together, handcuffs were still on and the same chocolate brown eyes looked at her in disgust.

"So ano nga, Kamahalan? Papakasal na ba tayo o gusto mo two hours na stuck tayo dito? Holding hands sa posas," Narda wore her smug smirk with confidence.

"Let me go! What the hell do you want from me? Sinayang mo pera mo para dito?! Last time we talked --you hated me," Regina was yanking Narda's hand in persistence and resistance.

"Last I checked din po... you wanted to make it up to me? Yung trabaho ko? Yung laptop ko? Paano if napaisip din naman ako. Benefit of the doubt ba?" Narda said in a melodic sing-song tone.

God, she is so casual. I hate her smug face.

Regina squinted her eyes, like she wanted to light Narda in flames with her menacing stare.

"I don't trust you, napakatwo face mo naman bigla. What is this a prank?! Shit!"

"Ok lang naman saakin ito, Your Majesty. Cute nga. Holding hands na halos tayo dito sa posas.  Sweet, noh?" Narda shrugged nonchalantly. Lifting their handcuffs with a sly grin.

"How can you even smile in this situation?! Ugh!"

Regina gritted her teeth. She started to get lost in her swirling thoughts. She realized she was sweating profusely. She could feel her mascara melting. Her top was feeling wet with the sweltering heat, the humidity smothering her.

And probably being handcuffed to the peppy Narda at this close proximity was going to be torture.

Uncomfortable.

No, not uncomfortable... downright, despicable.

"Dahil mamatay na ako dito sa init. I will go with this stupid jailhouse wedding... with a few conditions," Regina huffed in exasperation, still glaring at Narda.

"Ah laging may demands si ma'am..."

"I will go with your stupid kwek kwek set-up but only for two hours, at most. I have a strict schedule to follow. Second, you are not going to try anything with me. Keep your damn hands to yourself during the date. Marunong ako mag Krav Maga, Custodio..."

Narda showed her hands and did the sign of the cross. Fluttering her eyelashes like an angel, promising she would be behaved.

"And third, this is NOT a date. This is a favor. Your peace offering. For charity. Do not go around telling people we dated."

"Ok po."

"I do not date people na hindi papapasa sa height requirement ng roller coaster sa Enchanted Kingdom," Regina sneered, her words enunciated carefully, full of her usual haughtiness.

"Deal. Tapos ka na, Kamahalan?"

---------------

For richer ... for poorer.  In sickness and in health.  Until parted by Padua University fair.

Narda did not know what got her this far.  There was a sudden coldness in the air. Or was it her nerves?

Her hands felt cold as she held tightly on to Regina.

She was now face to face with the woman she utterly hated.  With the woman that stood for everything she found unreasonable.

It was an offer she should have refused. 

In fact, she originally refused this.

But she got this far.  She really was here.

The memory turned Narda insides to rime and frost, and all the anger in her gut turned instantly inward, but she did not change her course of action. 

She still held on to Regina's hand, while she tried to keep her happy-go-lucky exterior.

All she felt was harsh panic.

Before her was her conscience taunting her. Her mind playing the set-up with the stupid and shallow jock, Carson Chu.

------

She could still remember it so vividly.

Like a repeated movie in her mind. 

flashback to a few nights before...

Narda ran back to Carson in that Speakeasy bar. She was panting when she faced him.

"Matalino ako, gago ka  ... you won't even know what I can do to you.  Pwede ko lapitan si Regina, sabihin ko hati nalang kami sa pera at tapos na.  And your movie is over before it even began.  Naperahan pa kita," Narda said defensively, she tried to push a scoffing laughter out of her mouth.

Trying to sound unperturbed.

"But you won't do that, Nueva Esperanza," Carson said arrogantly, drinking more of his favorite whisky.  He lounged lazily on the leather seats, looking at Narda like a sly panther. 

He knew he had cornered her like a prey.

"Bakit hindi ko gagawin?!"

"Because she won't work with you.  And you are just like me, Custodio."

"I am never going to be like you," Narda sat on the booth again, her stare was blank and she looked deflated.

"You are absolutely like me.  You hate her too.  I heard the stories.  Mga panahon na wala siyang paki na nawalan ka ng trabaho.  Mga panahon na muntikan na mawala scholarship mo at ... who knows ano mangyayari sa standing mo dahil sa ginawa niya?  Narda, ano ba ang few dates?  Harmless lang naman.  Kahit simulan mo lang sa PU fair."

Carson looked like a taunting devil, reaching back on to his wallet as he rolled out a few thousand peso bills in front of Narda. 

The blue bills danced on his fingers, money was just child's play for this bastard, Narda kept thinking.

"You start by bidding on her sa PU Fair.  I can work with her activist friends, none of those bitches are her real friends, anyway.  That girl has no friends," Carson got a vape pen and suddenly blew the smoke towards the direction of Narda.

"Alam ko hindi ko siya gusto.  May mga rason ako.  Why do you hate her so much? Ang lala nang ginagawa mo," Narda asked, her jaw tightened, contemplating the hellish deal.

"Ako?  It's personal, Custodio.  But for you? It is impersonal. Eye for an eye. Kumita ka pa."

Carson shoved the money towards Narda's direction. He smiled with certainty. 

"Nakakaputa naman ginagawa ko ..."

"We are all whores for something, Narda. Ano ba ang trabaho na ito?  You need the money.  I need the sister.   What's the worse that could happen? Ighost mo siya?"

Narda felt her soul break when she nodded and finally sealed the deal with Carson Chu.

And she had no clue if it was the reverb from the trance music or her heart thudding in dismay. Her ears rung. Her hands felt clammy. The reality hitting her senses.

She was going to pursue her absolute nightmare.

-----------

Narda snapped out of it when she looked at Regina looking ridiculous with a bridal veil covering her face. 

Regina looked absolutely miserable with her caked on makeup mixed with sweat and the see-through fabric made her look like the Bride of Chucky.

She imagined she should be in church with her.  Like the wedding of ultimate doom.

Eh 'di ako si Chucky?

"Who the fuck is Chucky?!"

"You may now kiss the bride," the young student in front of them said, snickering at the sight.

"For charity! For charity! For charity!" everyone kept cheering around them.

Regina glared at her activist group that was cheering with the crowd.  They flashed her Mashu purse and they waved happily at Regina.

Regina felt sick to her stomach.   She felt like she was on a wobbly boat ride.

"O kiss the bride daw! Wholesome lang naman!"

"One wrong move," Regina hissed.

Narda nodded nervously and in her little tiptoes she slowly reached to kiss Regina's forehead.  Her warm lips pecked Regina's skin and when she finally leveled with her, she gave Regina an unsure smile.

"Sorry?  For charity lang naman?"

With that, Regina immediately wanted out of the jailhouse wedding booth.  She wrung out of Narda's clasp quickly, with disgust written on her face.

------------

Luna suddenly felt a warm hand crawl into hers. Strong palms snuck in and she looked to see Carson was sitting right beside her.

"You doing something at 4:30?" He asked suavely.

"You know I can't," she sighed.

"O, ayos na ang first date ng Ate mo," He winked.

With laziness, he pointed at the jailhouse wedding both. There she saw beneath the sea of students, her Ate Regina and that ill-famed Narda being cheered for by the crowd.

"For charity! For charity!"

Luna was shocked and mortified.

"Tao ko yan si Custodio. We got this covered," Carson said confidently. His hand snuck into the pockets of Luna's cheerleader jacket, comfortably leaning into her.

Luna stretched her lips into a demure smile, she was realizing it, and she knew her plan was working.

--------------
Luce was an hour early in the Odegard library, preparing all his tutoring sheets for Luna. He brought with him his old children's comic books from when he studied in Bayonne. He always thought reading comic strips made him at ease with the French language.

He straightened his collar and fixed his glasses, he practiced his smile as he got even more excited to see Luna. While he was focused, he noticed his phone was buzzing.

It was Luna messaging him.

His heart pounded in anticipation.

Only to be quickly dashed by disappointment.

Luce did not bother responding. He sighed heavily as he went into deep thought. He leaned into his chair, taking off his glasses. The questions wandering in his mind.

How the hell would Narda even work with Carson? Eh parang inis nga yun sa mga katulad naming trust fund babies? I know how she responded to Regina? May mali dito ah...

-----------

Luna could not concentrate as she waited for Luce's response. It had been hours. She kept fidgeting while she sat on the pink ferris wheel, barely even paying attention to the view of the sunset in Metro Manila.

"Siya pa 'tong may gana magalit... ano ba karapatan niya magalit," she whispered underneath her breath, pocketing her phone in irritation.

"May problema ba?" Carson asked as he took off his RayBans looking at Luna in a confused manner.

"Nothing," Luna murmured coldly.

Carson shrugged and then suddenly he put his muscled arm around Luna. While he relaxed on the carriage.

"May papakita nga pala ako sa'yo," he said enthusiastically.

He was ecstatic, explaining to Luna that his basketball pictorials are out.

He started swiping on his iPhone and he wanted her to do the honors, to pick the right basketball photo for him.

"So be honest. Special ka saakin, e... pero which photo represents me? Yung left or yung right?"

Luna squinted her hazel eyes and she had to gulp some air.

Pareho naman ito?

"Ah yung left?"
She asked in an unsure manner.

"Yun din choice ko e. Mas mukha akong..."

"Good natured?"

"Luna talaga... anong kinalaman nito sa nature. I just look kind!"

She barely could pay attention. She sat on that ferris wheel, still staring at her phone. Peeved that Luce never even replied back.

-----------
Narda was at Zaldy's Ihawan, a tindahan by the university. She looked at the time on her old watch, she was filled with jitters and anxiety.

Regina did say 5ish. It was already 5:30.

Narda's knees started to tremble.

Acting was not her strongest suit.

The owner, Mang Zaldy arranged the wooden table for Narda. She was a regular at the Ihawan, especially with her kind of budget.

The smoke from the street food was sticking on Narda's skin. In a panic, she hurriedly scurried into her backpack and sprayed on her go-to Bench body spray.

"Narda, mukhang marami kang order ngayon, ah— gutom na gutom," Mang Zaldy chuckled, teasing his regular customer.

Narda did not bother with a word, she had to look at herself in the side mirror of the parked truck.  Fixing her hair and flattening the creases of her shirt.

"Bakit ka nagaayos?" a voice called out.

Narda had to turn around when she heard that familiar booming voice.

"Kamahalan!" Narda stammered.

"Can you stop calling me that? It is not cute," Regina said dryly.

"M-maupo po kayo," Narda quickly said, her arms widened and her palms were open.  She looked like she was about to present Regina with a 12-course meal in a fine dining restaurant.

Regina sat down on the uncomfortable wooden chair, she looked uneasy as she tried to adjust herself. The smoke was billowing in the stall and the traffic smog was sticking to her wavy hair.  The wet heat was clinging on to her skin and she was aghast when the rows of dishes were thrown in front of her.

Grilled innards with burnt ends.  Chicken feet on sticks.  Neon orange balls on a platter. Black congealed blood. 

She gulped some air, contemplating how she would go through this... date.

"Ah, sorry, Regina, alam ko hindi ka sanay sa ganito.  Heto lang kasi afford ko sa date natin," Narda tilted her head, her voice heavy on slow uncertainty.  Her nervousness showed.

"As I said this is not a date.  This is a truce," Regina jeered.

Narda nodded and raised her hand, swearing into a promise.

The two of them were quiet. They drank their ice cold pale pilsens.  While Narda focused on eating her meal, Regina looked like she was mortified.

Narda was gathering all her morsels on a stick, drowning it in her spicy vinegar. She chomped a mouthful of the isaw, engulfing the burnt ends. She was hungry while she slurped the noodles right in front of her.

"Inorderan kita ng pancit kasi baka yan lang kaya mo kainin," she shrugged.

Regina was dainty as she nibbled on the fishball, the only street food she knew. She twirled the pancit and gave a dry smile, trying not to be rude.

"Hindi ka ba kumakain nito?" Narda asked tersely.

"Well one, this is a forced date..."

"Akala ko ba hindi date?"

"I also grew up with my Dad saying I may get hepatitis.  Hindi ba microbiologists say prone daw yung food na ganyan sa diseases?"

Regina kept forking the pancit canton, obviously, hungry.

"Nangyayari lang po yan, Kamahalan sa mga improperly cooked foods. Yung hindi naluluto at may cross contamination.  Hindi naman ganun dito.  Kaya nga establishment na ito since 1984," Narda said as she started blowing her barbecue, the steam getting to her tanned cheeks.

"Narda, I am also not really used to eating THIS.  I'm not particularly fond of offals."

"Pero malamang sabi ng Dad mo kumain ka ng foie gras na gawa sa atay ng pato. Kumakain ka ng Lengua Al Ajillo sa Pasko na gawa sa dila. Sweetbreads na gawa sa pancreas.  The word offal po comes from the words off-fall. Mga failure sa butchering.  Even the most expensive French cuisine uses these parts.  Kasi everyone knows --sulit."

Narda winked after her statement.

This annoyed Regina.  But her eyes widened in bewilderment, too. 

Narda had a certain pride to her that grated Regina. She could tell Narda knew she was too intelligent. This was a challenge for Regina.

"Fine!"

Regina was snide. She started chewing on the Betamax, the black coagulated blood on a grill.   She chewed and inhaled.  Her features twisted into slow confusion and her eyebrows kept skewing.

"Spongy siya ano? At mushy.  The flavor is actually not bad... but that texture," Regina was trying hard to swallow the odd slurry in her mouth.

"Your majesty, masyado ka kasing advanced? Level 12 ka agad... eto try mo muna!"

Narda was smiling when she started offering the kwek-kwek to the villainous shrew.

The same piercing brown eyes looked at Narda with doubt, until Regina started munching on the tempura-like quail eggs.  Her mouth watered.  Her eyes lit up.  She had to control a smile that was sprawling on her plump lips. 

Narda then focused as she prepared a few grilled isaw sticks on a plate.  She offered the same spicy vinegar to Regina.  She was carefully arranging the sticks as if strategizing the levels for Regina.

"Level 2... Level 3..." Narda stuttered, her nervousness still showing, she avoided Regina's eyes.   Her guilt was rearing its ugly head and she tried to mask it.

—-------

Right next to them was Zaldy who was fanning the grill, while he fiddled with the old stereo next to him.  He turned up the volume while he hummed with the once-popular song.

may gusto ka bang sabihin
ba't di mapakali
Ni hindi makatingin

It was that Kitchie Nadal song.  It was Regina's childhood song.  Her song.

It was like a jolt in her soul.  Her heart felt like it was about to leap.  Her eyes lit up like a child.  Even Narda noticed it.

"Bakit Regina?"

In normal circumstances, she would have opened this up to someone.

But Regina was far from normal. 

Even this setup was far from it.  She would never open up to this smug-face.

"I still do not trust you, you know? What's in this for you? Prank? Bragging rights?"

"Iba ka rin, ano?  Kamahalan, may atraso ka saakin.  Sabi mo gusto mo ayusin.  At oo, naguilty ako na may mga sinabi ko sa'yo.  Isn't that reason enough?" Narda furrowed her eyebrows.

"Why spend all this money on me?"

"Sa charity ako gumastos.  At oo, sinabi ko sa mga kaibigan ko na kaya kita kausapin.  So medyo may bet din..."

It was a partial truth. She was sweating more, each time she lied.

"I fuckin' knew it," Regina scoffed unkindly, she started playing with her vape pen, inhaling the sweet cotton-candy smoke.

"Pero kahit naman may pusta ako ... may atraso ka pa rin saakin.  At may atraso rin ako sa'yo.  Mali ang pasok natin sa buhay ng isa't isa.  Hindi ba natin pwede maayos yun?"

"I still do not trust you."

"Pareho lang naman tayo, Regina.  Wala rin ako tiwala sa'yo.  Pero may oras pa tayo, o? Ano sasayangin ba natin sa debate? Eh talo ka naman lagi saakin."

"You sure are smug.  Has anyone told you that?"

Regina squinted her eyes and crossed her arms, trying to intimidate the shorter woman.

"Correction, Prinsesa.  Madalas lang ako tama. Hindi po ako mayabang."

Narda gulped the last drops of the ice cold beer. She started counting the coins on her palm and she looked at Regina with her playful but arrogant affectation.

Regina was so irritated.

Ew.  Poging pogi sa sarili?

"Ano, Kamahalan? Give up na? May isa pa ako kailangan sa'yo," Narda mused.

—-----

Regina had never ridden a jeepney before.  Last time she tried public transportation, she fainted with the heat of the MRT.  The jeep was packed, it smelled of diesel, and the arid air was billowing on her wavy locks. She was in close proximity with everyone, even closer with Narda who knew the route like the back of her hand. 

When they got off their stop, Narda offered her hand and Regina reluctantly clasped it. Once their feet hit the concrete, Regina twisted her hand away from the shorter woman.

"Kamahalan, nakatry ka na ng iskrambol?"

"Isn't it just food coloring?"

"The best things are simple.  Dito ang best Iskrambol.  Yung mga may ari nito mga taga Iloilo.  Masarap gawa nila. Naisip lang nila na business ba?"

Narda stopped by the Iskrambol place and the people knew her already.  She was enumerating what to order, while Regina remained quiet.

Regina walked around, her high heeled boots, thumped on the concrete street. She looked lost amongst the sea of people.  Crowds were rushing by the church.  The people were lined up by the bus stops. The street kids were running as they sold what was left of their rags and sampaguitas.

But Regina stood there almost helpless. She stared blankly at the children by the food stalls.  Playing around in the tight alleyways, all while their mothers worked around them as vendors. 

She particularly observed a young woman.  The vendor was selling peanuts, and carrying her daughter in her arms, the child looked around three.  The two of them were inseparable.

Regina found herself staring a bit too long. Getting lost in the moment.

"Hoyyy! Tinakot mo ako, ah?"

Regina instantly snapped out of it. In front of her was the pink iced drink. Narda grinned from ear to ear, until her smile faded. She noticed that the usual school bitchesa did not have the same serpentine eyes, her chocolate brown eyes were full of heaviness.  A glowing type of sorrow.

It made Narda look at her with genuine concern.

Like that one night in Cubao X.

"O-ok ka lang?" Narda stuttered.

"Why won't I be ok? Thanks ah," Regina rolled her eyes, back to speaking so dryly.

She tasted the banana syrup and she forced a smile.  Her head was still lost in deep thought. Her heart felt a familiar pang.

An alarm started ringing.

Regina stared at her glowing Apple Watch.  The two hour deal was over.  The set up, all over.

Relieved, she thought.

"And now I should go.  This peace offering is over, huh?" Regina exhaled.

"Hatid na kita?"

"Absolutely not. Deal ends here."

"O.  Wala ka nang atraso saakin, Kamahalan," Narda whispered.

Regina was busy looking at her Grab App. While she entered her address in Ayala Alabang. But she had to stop and sigh.

She faced the shorter woman, who was slurping the iskrambol with gusto.

"You know, Narda.  I am sorry for how I treated you and how I looked at things in a selfish manner.  I apologize for all that. Thanks  for all this. This is a nice truce.  I will make it up to you one day.  Peace?"

Regina always talked like she was in a courtroom.

"Sorry rin, Kamahalan ... peace na."

Regina offered her hand for a handshake. A truce.  The right way to view peace.

Narda shook her hand and their hands clasped together.

The taller woman nodded awkwardly and her phone started buzzing, her Grab should be on its way. Her Chloe heels started thudding again, echoing on the street.

Narda exhaled in nonchalance. She reached out and gently her hand crawled onto Regina's  smooth and porcelain-like arm.

Slowly, she grabbed onto Regina, their hands now holding.

She tugged lightly and now their faces were close to each other again.  Their breaths lingered and the street lights suddenly felt too hot around them. 

Regina felt like her world was spinning. 

At sa gabi, sinong duduyan sa 'yo
At sa umaga, ang hangin ang hahaplos sa 'yo...

"Pwede ba kita makita ulit? Hindi pang charity? Hindi debate sa klase?" Narda had that nervous stammer again.

Her voice shook.  Her hand was suddenly cold and clammy.   The sweat beads formed on her neck. She wore an anxious smile. 

"The way I see it?  I cannot stand you.  You cannot stand me.  We are just mere lessons to each other.  We served our purpose na.  Lesson learned na," Regina had to laugh at the ridiculousness.  Her voice was crisp, overly articulating all her syllables.

Her phone buzzed again and the ride-share was nearby.  She roughly let go of Narda's grasp and started walking away.

Narda watched from afar as the woman with the blonde streaks walked further away from her. 

"Regina!!!" she yelled out, her hand close to her mouth, her voice echoing in the warm wind.

The tall woman looked back, baffled at Narda.

"Maybe our lesson is not over yet!"  Narda smiled from ear to ear.

Regina shook her head and soon she disappeared into the crowd.

Oh....
'wag na 'wag mong sasabihin

Narda felt her phone buzz and she saw the text message.  Her mobile money from Carson was coming in.

She slurped the rest of her iskrambol and tightened her jaw. Her smile quickly faded.   Her eyes turned expressionless.

She formed a fist as the guilty thoughts ran in her head.

—------

Luna asked Carson to drop her a few houses away, just to avoid any further drama. She hurried towards their mansion. 

But as soon as she got to the gate, she was shocked to see her Ate Regina walking towards the entrance, too.

Regina was startled but she quickly got back into character, her cunning eyes lit up at her sister.

"Ngayon ka lang?" Regina asked, raising an eyebrow in her usual disdainful manner

"If you must ask... I went out with friends.  Maybe even Carson Chu," Luna shrugged. She tried to hide her sly smile, she was enjoying her sister's situation.

Regina grasped onto her sister's arm and gave her that same stern look that their father always gave them.

"Akala ko ba ang deal ay.... I can go out ... when you do? Akala mo hindi ko alam? Nakipagdate ka kay Narda Custodio? Kalat na kalat sa buong school!"

"Yuck! I was practically taken hostage!"

Regina sounded mortified. Her words spilling over and her tone ragged. Luna could not help but laugh.

"So defensive, Ate Regina! Salamat sa one night of normalcy!"

Luna opened the tall gate and smiled at her sister, the two of them entering the mansion together.

"You know Ate Regina? For a hostage night ... parang you had fun. May pink- pink ka pa sa chin mo, o?"

Regina had a panicked expression, her eyes widening in agitation. She hurriedly wiped off the remnants of the iskrambol that she just ate hours before.

She was frozen, unable to talk.  So unlike her. 

To make matters worse, her phone suddenly beeped, and to her dread, it was a friend request.

I HATE HER!

------

"Ano ba, galit ka ba saakin?"

Narda sat on the balcony of the university dorm, she struggled to talk as she munched on her plateful of hotdogs and rice that was doused in banana ketchup.

"Kargador lang? Akala ko ba busog ka na?" Ding clicked his tongue, eating what was left in his Tupperware.

"Kailan ba ako hindi gutom?"

They had cheap dinner at their usual spot, the secret veranda overlooking the mansions around the village. They sat there in their house clothes, always enjoying the comforting silence around each other. They looked at the houses of the rich,  compared to their dreary and shabby dorm, they stuck out in this contrast.   

"Selos ka ba?" Narda asked quizzically.

"Narda, hindi mo gets ano? Lahat naman ng kagagahan mo support ko, e. Pero iba na ito, e. Naglalaro ka na ng damdamdin ng babae, e.  Ang Narda na kilala ko. may dreams to be a doctor kasi may malasakit sa kapwa.  Hindi yung ganito na puro pera lang iniisip," Ding scoffed, his voice suddenly trailed off; the disappointment was wearing him down.

"Wala namang damdamin si Minchin.  At alam mo naman kailangan ko talaga yung pera, diba? Ang daming sabit ni Nanay.   O ano kung ligawan ko siya... 'di naman ako sasagutin nyan!"

"Narda, puso na pinupusta mo dito.  Mali na, e.  Sabihin natin hindi puso niya... paano kung ikaw ang nafall?"

Narda looked at Ding pensively, her jaw tightened in seriousness. 

But suddenly a wide smile stretched on her lips.  She let out a sputtering laugh, rice spilling from her mouth, and a high pitched tone howled in the wind.  Her laughter was deafening.

"Pag narinig yan ni Regina yung tawa mo.  Wala. Hindi ka talaga sasagutin!"

"Bati na tayo, Ding! Arte mo.  Promise wala mafa-fall.  At harmless date lang.  Tama na nga away!"

Narda grabbed Ding and put her arm on his shoulder. She then forked what was left of his hotdog and she munched it happily. She knew her best friend could not resist her.

"Tangina, ang takaw.  Hoy Narda! Basta if it happens, I will say 'I told you so'!"

Narda shook her head, chuckling at his suggestion.  She played around with her phone, still looking to see if Regina had responded to her social media requests.

There was nothing.

"Pero Ding, medyo nakakatuwa si Kamahalang Vanguardia.  Kinunan ko. Tuwang tuwa sa kwek-kwek,o," Narda mused, showing Ding the photo on her phone.  She was like a child proud of what she did.

"Naku, Narda.  Sinasabi ko sa'yo! Iba na yan!"

"Ulol!"

"Bakit? Hindi ba totoo?"

"Basta --- Ding, I think I got this."

-------

Narda had her wired headphones and she held on tightly onto her red rose. Her heart thumped not because of love.  But of dread.  Lovefool by  Dream Ami was resounding in her ear drums.  The tempo of the drums taunting her, pressuring her.

Narda had been following directions from Carson. She had to pursue the shrew. 

Chase the shrew. 

She had to get to another date for her to get another payment. 

The thing is, Narda is no Casanova but she had grit, confidence, and charm. Sofia Quintana may have been the only woman she had a relationship with but she got that beautiful heartthrob through her charming ways.

It took mere days for her to get Sofia to kiss her.

The girls of Nueva Esperanza always swooned when she pounded the drums or played basketball.

It's not that women were easy for her, but she knew she had a magnetic quality to them. 

But Regina Vanguardia was not an easy target.  She was doom. Dread. She was vicious and cold-hearted. She was the self-proclaimed villain in this story.

Narda waited for Regina in the vast Legal Management building. As soon as Regina got out of class, Narda nervously offered the single red rose. 

"Oh my God---- naloka na nga talaga siya," people exclaimed.  They watched in morbid curiosity.  Like Narda had decided to torture herself as public spectacle.

She stood there with an innocent smile,  waiting for Regina to react as she kept handing the rose to the taller woman. Regina looked at her from head to toe in disgust.

She fixed her denim jacket while she looked at Narda like she was gauging her.

"Red rose talaga? Sa tingin mo sustainable yan sa environment? Alam mo ba chemicals gamit diyan? Mga Carbon dioxide emissions diyan? Ilang underpaid laborers involved diyan? No thanks," Regina sneered, her words spitting so much venom.

"AY BASTED AGAD SI CUSTODIO!" someone chided.

Ding was nearby standing by his best friend.  He confidently blew air into his glasses, while he wiped it.  He just witnessed the disastrous rejection.

"Regina Vanguardia - 1.  Narda Custodio- Zero as in zero pesos," he chuckled.

-------

Narda kept sending messages.

Baka umubra pogi typings ko? Or pacute?  I should go for pacute.

But even in messages she acted like the heinous Regina that everyone expected.

Unbeknownst to her, she did have an effect on the shrew.

Regina found Narda infuriating.

But what infuriated her more was she found Narda intriguing.

-------

The next week, Narda changed her strategy. Less poging pogi sa sarili. How about girly, pretty.  She let her hair down and had a loose clip on.  She wore a pink sleeveless shirt.   Her cheek tint made her usually tanned cheeks rosy. She looked demure. 

She waited after their St. Anthony of Padua class, while she stood by the fountain.  She was waiting by the Acacia trees and she instantly had a beguiling smile as soon as Regina approached.

"Hi Regina ... para nga pala sa'yo--- hindi na yan roses, ah--- nakinig ako," Narda murmured as she nervously lifted her mini balloon arrangement.

"Nice outfit.  Ano ka reject sa P-Pop girl group?" Regina sputtered a laugh as she wore her shades.

"A-ano?"

"The balloons fit your height dahil mukha kang Grade 6.  Isa pa, just because I owe you something does not mean the exchange is anything romantic.  I hate best foot forward as an action.  There is nothing genuine about it.  It is also antiquated and came from roots of patriarchy.   It is the worst way to get to me.  Give it up.  I also like them taller."

Regina's group of activists gathered around her, while they all laughed. 

The class shrew swiftly walked away,  the usual cloud of smoke from her vape pen surrounded her.

Ding slowly approached Narda again, elbowing her.  Narda threw the balloon bouquet on Ding's face, while he was cackling.

"Girly girly ah.  Regina Vanguardia -2.  Narda Custodio - ZERO. DASURV!"

Narda looked at her phone and it was Carson pressuring her. She wiped her palms on her face in frustration.

------

Luce was walking towards the fountain as he saw all the commotion.  This was all odd for Narda.

He knew that Carson probably added money into this.  His mind was wandering while he kept looking at the dejected Narda.

  But then his running thoughts got cut off. He was surprised to suddenly feel a tap on his shoulder.

"So hindi ka man lang magsosorry?"  Luna was in her cheerleader outfit, her hazel eyes filled with resentment and her arms folded showing her air of imperiousness.

"Bakit ako magsosorry?" Luce chuckled.

"It's weird when we do not talk.  Fine! I am sorry for not telling you about Carson!  He is also just a friend helping like you!"

Luce smiled sheepishly while he looked at Luna in admiration.  His boyish grin was disarming.

"Friends?" She asked sweetly.

"How could I ever resist you, Luna Vanguardia?"

---------

Narda was in the cold computer lab, typing rapidly as she worked on her numerous assignments.  She cowered in her hoodie again, covering herself. She had her usual squinted eyes, red and droopy, she barely had any sleep. 

She felt someone sit next to her and she noticed it was the unassuming young man, Luce.  She shrugged as she continued on with her work, she snapped her wired headphones hoping she could shut off everyone.

"Alam ko yung ginagawa at pinaplano mo kasama si Carson.  Alam ko ginagawa mo kay Regina Vanguardia.  Alam ko bayad ka," Luce leaned in, his eyes boring into Narda's.  He was stern while he talked. 

"Sino naman nagsabi sa'yo nyan, Lucifer? Strong allegations."

Narda took off her headphones and scoffed.  She leaned in closer to him and her eyes were deep and menacing.

Not backing down at some señorito trying to intimidate her. 

"The name is Luciano. At saka, hindi ka tutulong kay Carson ng walang bayad.  You do not like kids like us. My talent is I can read people.  And my read on you is you can see through all of us.  You think we are all just spoiled brats thinking of life as a game.  Habang kami nandito lang kasi expected.   Ikaw nandito kasi kailangan mo.  Why else will you work with that asshole?"

Narda wheeled her chair, focusing on her assignment.  Her eyes darted to the computer screen while she reviewed her work.

"And what are you going to do about it, Lucifer? Sumbong mo kami? Gamitin mo powers ng Daddy mo?" Narda taunted.

"N---no.  I actually want to help," Luce whispered.

"What's in it for you?"

"Ako ang may gusto kay Luna. I want her freedom too.  But my intentions are pure.  Wala ako tiwala kay Carson Chu..."

"Carson can do what he wants. Just here for the money," Narda said coldly.

"I will deal with Carson and Luna.  Pero kailangan kita.  Walang maitutulong si Carson sa'yo.  Hindi mo nga makuha si Regina, diba? Tutulungan kita.  We will go behind enemy lines.  Luna is my friend.  Yun kaibahan namin ni Carson.  I can go behind enemy lines.  You can take the money.  Pero Carson can be our pawn."

Narda sighed in loud exasperation. Wiping her face profusely with her hands as she went into deep thought. She faced Luce while she furrowed her eyebrows, trying to decide if she should trust him.

"Lucifer, you are going to help me tame the wild beast?"

"Exactly."

Luce offered his hand for a pact. In a firm grip, Narda shook his hand.

-------

Luna was talking to Luce on the phone while she went behind enemy lines.  She got the key to her sister's room and she finally entered the witch-sister's lair.

UGH.

Regina's room was dark, covered in gray wallpaper, old band posters of The Runaways were framed up in her room, and Japanese serpent paintings surrounded the walls. In the sea of her darkness, there was one white bass-guitar on display by the unmade King bed, and right next to it was a complete family photo with their mom present.

Luna had to pause and hold on to the frame, her eyes looking sadly at their once complete family.  She realized how much she chose to forget. 

"Hello? Hello? Luna-- andyan ka pa ba?" Luce said on the other line.

"S---sorry--- well, so far alam ko ay may activist meeting siya bukas.  Tapos nun manonood siya ng gig ni Kitchie Nadal.  Ayaw niya aminin pero idol niya yun.  Nanonood yun talaga lagi ng gig.  Tumatakas kay Dad at sasabihin niya lang may assignment siya," Luna said, struggling to get through her sister's  post-it notes and concert tickets.

Luna curiously turned on Regina's Samsung TV and it was already on her Ate's Netflix Account.

Luna started bursting into laughter and shock as she looked at Regina's catalogue.

"Her latest watches are Below Her Mouth.  At 365 Days," Luna chuckled.

"Ok? Bakit ka natatawa--- baka mahilig lang sa movies, Ate mo," Luce interjected.

"Who the hell watches Below Her Mouth and 365 Days for the plot?  The way I see it --- my sister probably wants to get laid!"

"So --- ikaw---- napanood mo na 365 Days?"

There was silence between Luce and Luna as awkwardness crawled in the air.

"I mean --- JOKE! JOKE PO LUNA! JOKE LANG!"

"So what are you going to do for your birthday, Luce?" Luna asked quickly changing the subject.

"Bakit pupunta ka ba if ever?"

"If we can get Ate Regina to,  I would like to celebrate the guy who helped me sa French."

------

Narda got the message from Luce. She was frustrated as she grabbed her pillow and muffled her hoarse scream. She hated those activists. She did not have time to go to gigs. This was not her.

-----

Regina had her activist meeting in the old Science lab at the end of the hallway in Padua University. It was her usual measly group of seven people that always attended. 

Usually, people loved it when she was far more chaotic.

But since she got into trouble with her antics with Senator Ranile, she had to lie low.

To her shock, Narda Custodio was there.

To her even bigger shock, Narda did not debate her. She listened and looked like she was observing.

Regina was bracing herself for the makulit na Custodio.

To her shock, Narda did not bother her.

Ano nakain ni Narda?
--------

Narda was on an old Suzuki motorcycle that she borrowed from Ding, she figured if she had to be chasing the shrew, she could not be doing it transferring jeeps. She swiftly took off her helmet off and sweat fell from her temples when she halted at the Calypso bar. She exhaled loudly as she paced herself for another game of pretend.

Ilang awit pa ba ang aawitin, oh, giliw ko?

She walked into the loud bar and a woman was singing the Eraserheads orginal "Ligaya". She high-fived the bartender working. She sat down as she grabbed a Red Horse beer. The place smelled like Marlboro and spilled vodka. The crowd was a sea of women jumping up and down to Kitchie Nadal performing the classic song.

"Custodio --- bakit ka nandito? Wala ka namang racket, diba? School night,ah?"

Narda gave her signature smirk, while she drank the tall can of beer. Her doe-eyes wandered while she observed the crowd.

Then she finally saw her.

Her blonde streaks lit up more with the neon lights, she looked sensual and sultry while her hips danced to the strumming of the guitar. Her ivory-like skin glowed and her shoulders moved to the beat. Her sweat glistened into radiance and her laughter was beautiful. Carefree. Her leather pants clung to her skin like paint. Then she sang with the old hymn; it was pure happiness.

Narda found herself drawn to her. A genuine smile crawled on Narda's pink lips. Her world seemingly in slow motion as she watched her. She realized that Regina Vanguardia was beautiful when she was happy. She was not such a shrew when her guard was down. She was enthralling to watch.

Her heart thudded. No, that must be the usual dread she felt.

She then got caught off-guard when she saw the piercing brown eyes meeting hers.

--------

Regina could not believe it. She had a stalker. This was her comfort zone and she had to have a Stalker ruin it for her!

She had to snap out of her euphoric stupor and rushed towards Narda, who was sitting by the bartender.

"You are kinda ruining this for me," Regina blurted out, her tone filled with rage.

"Oh my God! KAMAHALAN! Sorry, istorbo ba? Paborito ko si Kitchie. Madalas ako magkaraoke ng medley nyan," Narda grinned, her tone saccharine as hell.

"If you plan on asking me out again ---"

"Alam mo, we need more women sa OPM. Mga banda. Alam mo ba drummer ako? Nakakamiss ang Hungry Young Poets. Tapos si Kitchie yung Landas niya na single? Sobrang underrated," Narda said completely cutting her off, yelling into the loud music.

"How the hell do you know HYP? You listened to Landas?" Regina sounded intrigued.

Narda was not paying attention to Regina, she started bobbing her head to the music, swigging her beer.

"Kamahalan, dapat sinasayaw itong music na ito!" Narda chuckled while head banging recklessly. She pretended like she was drumming and in one drop of the drum pedal, she started jumping up and down.

'di naman ako manyakis katulad ng iba, ipapangako ko sa'yo na igagalang ka

Regina was vexed but she could not help but giggle at Narda's antics. She started smiling unconsciously while she watched the rowdy short girl.

"Kamahalan, pwede ba kalimutan muna natin na hate natin isa't isa? Dapat mawala tayo... get lost in the music."

"Magwala?" Regina asked confused,barely hearing Narda through the loud music.

"Pwede rin magwala!" Narda shouted.

And with that she playfully grabbed Regina's hand into a clumsy swing. Regina was many inches taller than Narda so she had to giggle at the sight.

Sagutin mo lang ako. Aking sinta'y walang humpay na ligaya

But Narda was right, it was a moment to get lost. It was enthralling to get lost.

When the song was done, they were both panting and sweating. Narda was lost within that moment. She noticed she got the villain to smile and it was endearing to watch.

"Regina--- kanina pa kita tinitignan,e. Ang ganda mo pala kapag ganito environment mo-- yung walang hassle," Narda said innocently, her eyes looking like a kid with a new discovery.

"Boo, Custodio. Wag mo ako bolahin. OK na sana,e" Regina breathed out as she drank her Stella beer.

"Birthday ni Luce this weekend, diba? Narinig mo? Imbitado halos lahat sa klase natin," Narda stammered nervously, every time she had to act, she was always caught with anxiety.

"What do I care about Luciano Corpuz? That kid's dad is an enabler," Regina huffed.

"Gusto ko lang ng excuse kasi makasama ka, Kamahalan."

Regina squinted her eyes, the new song was strumming in and she shook her head at Narda.

"You never give up do you?"

"So ano yun --- YES?"

"No," Regina blurted out.

"Eh ano yun?"

"Narda, as I said, we are lessons in life. We learned from the lesson na. Give it up."

"Sinabi ko nga --- hindi pa tapos lesson natin. I want to know you. Mali ba? I want to know you more..."

"NO ONE cares to know me. Sige na, I love this next song," Regina was about to get lost in the crowd.

"So was that a NO?" Narda asked in her usual makulit manner.

"N--no," Regina waved at Narda as she went adrift with the throng of people, mesmerized by the music.

---------

Regina was busy highlighting her International Law book. She was nose down studying that weekend, she had finished her Columbia Law School application and she was still drowning herself in requirements. She was in the office until she overheard her father and Luna arguing outside in the sala.

"Dad! Birthday yun ng friend ko! My friends are going to pick me up," Luna was whining, pleading to her father.

"Your sister is not going, you're not going, end of story," Rex yelled.

Regina was already in her house clothes, while she looked at Luna who was already wearing a tube top with her boyfriend jeans. She looked like she was ready to go to the party.

"O. Andyan ka pala, Regina, alam mo ba ano ang Luce? Ano yan bagong party drug?" Rex asked, looking at Regina in confusion.

"Luciano Corpuz's birthday party is just debauchery. It is just an excuse for rich students to drink and rub up against each other distracting themselves in their meaningless consumer-wasted lives," Regina sneered.

Luna charged towards her Ate Regina and held her older sister's hand. She cornered her by their grand staircase. Pleading with her sister.

"Pwede ba, Ate. One time lang. Kalimutan mo na miserable ka. Na monster babysitter ka. At maging ATE ka naman. Hindi ko boyfriend si Luce. Pero kaibigan ko siya. Tinulungan niya ako sa French class ko. Ate, just once. Can you be normal and PLEASE be my sister? PLEASE?"

Luna was seriously pleading, her hazel eyes were welling in emotion. And Regina may be a stone-cold shrew but she did love her sister. Even though it was always challenging for her to show it.

"DAD! Naimbita rin pala ako kay Luce," Regina's voice trailed off, her piercing brown eyes looked at Luna with softness.

Luna hugged Regina tightly while her sister was frozen. They were overhearing their father rant.

No kissing. No tattoos. No piercings. No locked rooms. Babantayan mo kapatid mo, Regina! BAKA MAROOFIE KAYO!

------

What was the harm in inviting Narda?  This will be an awkward car ride with Luna.

-------

Amazon by TFN was echoing all over the street as they drove in to the party. It really felt like a jungle with all the party freaks.

Luce's birthday party was complete pandemonium. He rented an AirBnB, an American style mansion in Tagaytay with a heated pool and a prodigious living room. The loud students had taken over. The alcohol bottles were piling.

People were drenched from the pool, making the wooden floors slippery. The bathrooms were locked as kids started throwing up. The rooms were locked as couples started messing with each other. The bass from the song was deafening.

Regina swung open the doors, looking at the chaos. She was with Luna and Narda, who had to awkwardly sit at the back of her Dodge car. They had to cross the pyramid of beer bottles as they looked for the birthday boy.

Regina held on to a Prosecco bottle that she brought as a gift, she glared at Narda who was walking around with a small Red Ribbon roll cake.

"Nagdala ka talaga nyan?" Regina asked.

"Oo-- dapat may regalo, hindi ba?"

"I don't think it's that kind of party, Narda."

Luce immediately saw Luna who was holding on to a gift box. He rushed to the young woman and gave her a hug.

The birthday boy was already reddened from all the liquor he had been drinking.

"Lucifer! HAPPY BIRTHDAY," Narda had a nervous chuckle. She felt out of place in her blazer and dress pants.

She was always at ill-ease with these types of gatherings.

She noticed that Regina was watching her sister like a hawk, while Luna was busy talking to Luce.

She suddenly understood the dynamic of the Vanguradia sisters.

Regina was that much of a villain because she took over being the mother of her younger sister. This made Narda think. She related to Regina right at that moment. A rare moment that she understood the shrew.

"Ganyan din ako sa mga batang kapatid ko, Regina..."

But every time she had a soft side for the shrew, Regina always would be acerbic. Mean-spirited.

She would purposely brush Narda off.

"Ano ba? Susundan mo lang ba ako kahit saan ako pumunta? Bye," Regina said, rolling her eyes.

Narda stood there alone, left out, holding on to the crummy Red Ribbon roll cake. Lost in the sweaty bodies of these spoiled brats.

She had texted Ding, she needed some saving.

----------

Carson Chu arrived in his black Benz and he walked in with his usual huge entourage of basketball players. He paraded in like he owned the place, quickly opening up the bottle of whisky as he swigged it. His eyes focused on Luna who was talking to the birthday boy. She was in a corner while the two talked.

"That's my girl," he whispered.

But before he could walk, he suddenly felt a tug on his jacket.  He looked behind him and it was Regina Vanguardia covered in her dark make-up. Her black leather outfit, accentuated her curves. That gave Carson a second look.

"My my--- looking hot, Regina," he laughed.

"Shut the fuck up and stay away from my sister. Alam mo ang ginagawa mo. In fact, napakagago ng ginagawa mo," Regina said, her words were cutting as she emphasized each beat. She had bitterness in her eyes, complete disgust at the man in front of her.

"Oh -- sure lalayuan ko kapatid mo. But I cannot guarantee she will stay away from me. Regina, your sister can make her own decisions about me," Carson jeered.

"Carson, I SWEAR... "

"Or what? Ano? Sasabihin mo? Like you can. You are full of shit, Regina."

Carson arrogantly bee-lined towards Luna and like a panther with his prey, Regina watched as he completely had a hold on her little sister.

She watched mortified as Carson Chu caught Luna's attention. There she saw it. Their hands holding. Soon their bodies were molding. As they started dancing to the sensual song. She felt heated tears already in her eyes as she was caught up in so much anger.

Regina charged towards her sister. But Luna did not want to listen. She wanted nothing to do with her Ate Regina.

"Luna --- sabi nang MAKINIG KA. May kailangan ka malaman, ok?"

"Ate Regina ---- I am enjoying my YOUTH so imbes na maging miserable ka, scamper off and do the same. STOP embarrassing me!"

Regina pursed her full mouth as she went into her embittered thoughts. She saw the lines of tequila shots in front of her. Quickly, she gulped the bitter shot. Wondering if she could do what Luna was telling her.

Enjoy her youth.

--------

Narda felt like a loser as she sat on the empty couch, watching youthful mayhem in front of her. Luce was flustered, sitting right next to her. Narda looked at the pathetic sight of the birthday boy, trying to drown himself in the Pale Pilsen Grande.

"Lucifer, birthday na birthday ganyan mukha mo!"

"Hindi na ata kita matutulungan, Narda," Luce's tone was dismayed, he breathed heavily as he tried to take a sip of his drink.

His cousin, Richard joined in the couch. And now Narda was surrounded by two dramatic Corpuz boys.

"Basted si Luce, Narda. Ayan si Luna kasayaw si Carson, birthday na birthday niya. Ako naman walang chick --- at si Narda naman bihis librarian," Richard joined in, grabbing Luce's beer as he took a sip from it.

"Napakaweak shit ninyo, ano? Sila na ba? Sumayaw lang... wala nang lakas ng loob?" Narda scoffed.

"Yabang, ah... bakit ikaw, nasan date mo?" Richard taunted.

"Ewan ko sa inyo... gusto ninyo ng cake?"

Narda opened her box of Red Ribbon roll and she casually grabbed the spoon laid out in front of her. She started munching on the chocolate cake. The two young men started joining in as they started licking the icing off of their fingers.

"Nasaan na date mo?"

"Mukhang olats talaga ako kay Kamahalan---goodbye acting gig,--- hindi rin ako sanay sa inuman na ganito," Narda murmured under her breath, forcing a smile.

As Narda leaned into the sofa, she suddenly heard chanting behind her. All the way to the dining room.

"BODYSHOT! BODYSHOT! BODYSHOT!"

Narda shoved the cake towards Richard as she hurriedly walked over to where the noise was headed.

To her absolute shock, it was Regina Vanguardia on top of the antique table, swaying her hips to the hip hop music. She was surrounded by a crowd of people who were chanting for her to dance.

Carson Chu started charging towards the crowd and started throwing peso bills towards Regina as he started laughing at her. The other men joined, throwing small bills at Regina.

Narda started walking over to the crowd, her eyes gone dark and her eyebrows furrowed. Carson patted her back as if celebrating the fact that Regina was acting like that.

He was about to throw another hundred peso bill, until Narda caught his hand and she immediately grabbed his collar.

"Wag. kang. bastos."

She was seething, her words filled with asperity. She then started pushing the other men, warning them.

"OH WOW, Custodio. Feeling Girlfriend? Gago," Carson laughed arrogantly, while he looked at the short girl trying to fight him.

Luna was right by Carson, completely embarrassed by her sister's actions. She wanted nothing to do with her sister.

Narda walked over towards the table, she offered her hand while she spoke.

"Regina, tara na, Regina!!"

Her worry intensified when she saw the college group starting to add a pink liquid into the tequila being served.

"Regina!!"

-------

Regina felt the heat in her throat. Truth to the matter was, she was buzzed, not drunk. The alcohol was simmering. She just had four back to back shots. Truth was, she was not having fun. She was raging. She was a shaken bottle of emotions about to explode. She wanted to act up. She was so sick and tired of playing the role for her father.

She was so weary of being unappreciated. She was held up for so long. No one was grateful. No one cared for her.

Why can't I act up? Why is Narda here trying to act like a dame in shining armor?

Lil Kim's song "How Many Licks" was resounding in the background. She was gyrating her body to the hard bass of the song.

She danced with men and women alike.  Their bodies grinding, Regina charging a wild frenzy.

She had to do a dare, it was a body shot so she laid on the table, her eyes continued to be blank. She moved at a pace and offered her body.  She braced herself as she waited for who would draw the card for the shot.

Her wavy hair cascading on the wooden furnishing. The line of men and women were drawing the cards on who would do the shot with Regina.

"Regina, itigil mo yan--- nakaspike mga drink dito," Narda was stern.

"Leave me alone."

"Regina!"

Regina snapped and sat on the table, she looked like a snake waiting to slither in.

"What are you my MOM? Are you slut-shaming? Are you judging me? Are you against a woman that is enjoying herself? Inappropriate ba in your patriarchal standards? Am I not the kamahalan you wanted?"

Regina was taunting Narda like the usual brat that she was. Her serpentine eyes meant to provoke. Her full lips flushed, she knelt on the table crawling towards Narda in a dance, her fingers sensually crawling on Narda's jaw.

"Ano? Nalalandian ka?  Am I a slut now? Still someone you would want to know, Nueva Esperanza?"

"Wala akong paki kung anong patriarchy na sinasabi mo. Pero may paki ako kung iinom ka ng spiked drink. May paki ako na binabastos ka ng mga gagong 'to..."

"The fuck do you care?!"

"Tangina, Regina. Hindi ba obvious? Because I care about you, ok? Tara na," Narda's voice was clear and crisp. Her voice did not shake this time. Her eyebrows wrinkled; and her eyes filled with a mix of fury and concern.

Regina's eyes suddenly widened and taken by emotion. Narda offered her hand trying to get Regina out of the table.

"Ah! Hindi pwede yan! Regina owes us a shot!" someone from the crowd yelled.

"AMIN NA," Narda shouted and in a swift movement, she stole the drink that was supposed to be given to Regina.

The men around were disappointed when Narda took Regina's shot. Their plan for a inebriated Regina gone.

Regina could not help but watch in awe. Her eyes suddenly welled in emotion.

"Ano? Tapos na?" Narda was trying to hold onto Regina's hand, yanking her away from the crowd.

"No.  There's more!"

Narda without any emotion, drank the row of shots. Swigging it all effortlessly.

Everyone was cheering and laughter was exploding everywhere.

"Daya! Regina has to bodyshot pa!"
Someone said. 

"I'll take the last card, then I will go with you," Regina said seductively, the buzz from the tequila still strong in her voice. She whispered her words in Narda's ear.  She was still testing Narda like the brat that she was.

Narda nodded, her eyes filled with dismay.

Regina picked a card and the body part written on the card was "LIPS".

"OOOOOH!!!"

She braced herself as she picked another card and it now says, "YOUR CHOICE".

"Uy! Choice mo raw, Regina--- sino ang gusto mong body shot," the crowd cheered.

"Sino pa? Custodio right here. My significant ---BOTHER," Regina hissed, grabbing the salt shaker.

She knelt on the table and in her hedonistic ways, she poured salt on the skin on Narda's neck. She still tried to dance to the beat while she moved.

"Ano ginagawa mo?"

"Are you up for it, Nueva Esperanza? Ano? Give up ka na? Sa iba ka nalang.  Can't you see? I'm no good for you," Regina sneered.

"Do we still hate each other?" Narda wore a sad smile.

Narda in her usual brusque way, shoved the lime in her mouth as she looked at Regina seriously. Her eyes filled with fire. She was not backing down with any of Regina's intimidation tactics.

In just mere seconds, Regina crawled towards Narda and gently kissed her neck, her tongue like a ghost that could barely touch, licked the salt on Narda's skin.

She swallowed the tequila shot and in one abrupt movement, she aimed for the lime.

But as she bit the citrus fruit, she accidentally dropped it out of her mouth. Soon their soft lips briefly touched.

Their eyelashes brushed. Their noses were bumping. Their breaths against each other.

Narda could only look at Regina's piercing, chocolate brown-eyes.

Regina's world was spinning again. And it was spinning slowly. Was it the alcohol?

But she always felt like this around Narda.

The rowdy crowd was cheering and phones were flashing. Recording them. 

Her brown eyes looked at Narda's pink lips and she leaned in to boldly finish the body shot. Her lips slowly crushing on to Narda's.

Their eyes shut.

Her hands crawled to cup Narda's face and it was like ablaze, the heat traveled all the way to her toes.

Their lips parted into a deeper kiss. It was warm. It was soft. It was brazen.

The air was chasing them. Narda kissed back like she had waited for this moment. Her hand moving slowly, brushing Regina's hair with her fingers as they enclosed their kiss.

It was not a sloppy party dare.  It was sweet.

It was comforting.

But the kiss ended quickly as Narda pulled her head back.

Regina sat still, unable to react.

"Kamahalan. Give up ka na?"

Narda wore that smug smirk and her words were slurring, her eyes getting heavy.

Somehow Regina felt like she was drunk again.

Her world stopped and spun around at the same time.

She felt like it was a song she enjoyed.

She felt her heart leap.

May gusto ka bang sabihin? Ba't di mapakali... ni hindi makatingin ...

----

What will happen now?
Why did Regina act up?
May na-fall na ba?

'till next chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.2K 1.6K 41
Paano kapag nahulog ka ng wala sa oras? Paano kapag napamahal ka sa taong hindi mo inaasahan? Paano kung napamahal ka na pala sa 'tinuturing' mong ka...
7.5M 214K 48
Rogue Saavedra, the arrogant city's young billionaire, becomes stranded on an unknown island. There he meets an illiterate jungle woman, Jane, who is...
76.7K 6K 55
Ilang beses mo bang bibigyan ng pagkakataon ang taong mahal mo para mapatunayan niya ang totoong pagmamahal niya sayo?
1M 18K 57
"Will you ever get to know the real me behind these walls?" Warning: SPG.