Treat You Better

Oleh Rhodes_the_writer

Warning: Violence, talk and acts of abuse, bullying, etc. Violet's life is perfect, she has good grades, a ha... Lebih Banyak

Welcome, Reader!
Chapter One: Sharing Coffee.
Chapter Two: Hale Frances is a Jerk
Chapter Three: Dinner Disaster
Chapter Four: Fate
Chapter Five: The Infamous Michaelangelo.
Chapter Six: The Outfit.
Chapter Seven: The Party.
Chapter Eight: It's Only Starbucks
Chapter Nine: A French Heroine.
Chapter Ten: What if it was Me?
Chapter Eleven: Murder and Some Dinner Too
Chapter Twelve: Sleepover
Chapter Thirteen: Friends Who Always Have Your Back
Chapter Fourteen: Trapped in Red Roses
Chapter Fifteen: Room 211
Chapter Sixteen: Cake
Chapter Seventeen: The Beanbag.
Chapter Eighteen: Into the Den of (Rich) Lions.
Chapter Nineteen: The Cast.
Chapter Twenty: Hotel Lotus
Chapter Twenty-one: How to Kidnap your Primos.
The Song.
Chapter Twenty-two: Wanted: A Python.
Chapter Twenty-three: Sweet Talker.
Chapter Twenty-four: The Drive
Chapter Twenty-five: Awkward Messes
Chapter Twenty-six: The Real Villain.
Chapter Twenty-seven: Solar Eclipse
Chapter Twenty-eight: Shopping Trip.
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Crazy by Comparison.
Chapter Thirty: The "Cool" Group.
Chapter Thirty-one: The Only Family Left.
Chapter Thirty-two: Fatherly Love.
Chapter Thirty-three: The Day of the Dead.
Chapter Thirty-four: The Return of the Jerk.
Chapter Thirty-five: Going 360°.
Chapter Thirty-six: What The...?
Chapter Thirty-eight: A Breakdown.
Chapter Thirty-nine: A Little Reunion.
Chapter Forty: "It's A Duck".
Chapter Forty-One: Lucky Andromeda.
Chapter Forty Two: The "I Love You" Thing.
Chapter Forty-Three: The Saturday of Your Nightmares.
Chapter Forty-four: Dollhouse.
Chapter Forty-five: The Cat That Got Out The Bag.
Chapter Forty-six: Unpleasant Surprises.
Chapter Forty-seven: Pep Talk.
Chapter Forty-eight: Purple Girl.
Chapter Forty-nine: The Truth and More.
Chapter Fifty: Headfirst Into An Endless Pit.
Chapter Fifty-one: Friendly Friends.
Chapter Fifty-two: Right On The Front Cover.
Chapter Fifty-three: Scary Kid.
Chapter Fifty-four: Boyfriend Duties
Chapter Fifty-Five: A Deathly Allergy To Ugly Shirts.
Chapter Fifty-six: The Turning Point.
Chapter Fifty-Seven: Favorite Things.
Chapter Fifty-eight: Premonition.
Chapter Fifty-nine: Action!
Chapter Sixty: The Final Showdown.
Chapter Sixty-one: The Child and The Brat.
Chapter Sixty-two: Promises.
Chapter Sixty-three: Familiar.
Chapter Sixty-Four: The Plant and The Sun.
Sixty-Five: The Message.
Chapter Sixty-six: "Meese" Isn't The Plural of Muse.
Chapter Sixty-seven: Even More Promises (Finale).
Epilogue: Lazy Day.

Chapter Thirty-seven: Cake in the Closet.

86 5 3
Oleh Rhodes_the_writer

It was only the second period of the day and I already wanted to find the nearest bed for a long nap. While waiting for the teacher to arrive, I rest my chin on my hand, dozing off.

The class was rowdy and people were still overexcited about the Angelo thing, but it was just white noise.

All of a sudden, I felt something hot touch my upper arm and I was jolted awake. “Bloody- ouch!”

“Right?!” Susan said, as she and Annie took seats on either sides of me. “My phone is running a fever right now.”

“That’s your phone?” I asked tiredly, rubbing my arm.

“Your boyfriend’s breaking the internet.” Annie said, bringing out her books, she didn’t look too happy about that.
She offered me a can of soda which I gladly took.

“Breaking the internet and everyone’s phones!” Susan giggled excitedly.
Tossing a green braid over her shoulder, she continued to explain. “I almost lost my ship account just because I suddenly gained about three hundred followers in just a few hours! Not to talk of all the attention that video of your dad is…”

Grape soda nearly came out of my nose, “You posted my DAD?!”

“Hear me out, hear me out.” Susan raised both pointer fingers. “I posted US like all of us at the restaurant yesterday and while a big set of people were mostly focused on Angel-boy, the other part were comments about how fine your dad is!”

I turned to look at Annie, sure that the expression on my face was one of horror. “What is going on?!"

“You should be happy, you’re gonna have a lot of customers today, girl.” Annie replied, in a bored manner.

“Yeah, but at the cost of a lot of girls thirsting over my dad?!” I hissed and abruptly faced the front of the classroom when a group of girls huddled over their phones burst into loud giggles.

“OMG I’ve been here once, it’s called Jimmy’s at Pitchfork Road and.... I think that’s Jimmy” One of them not-so-whispered.

“What do you say we go over there after school…?” The one speaking was interrupted by her friend jabbing her with an elbow while looking at me.

“Oh…crap.” I muttered, glancing down.

“Hey Violet!” One of them greeted cheerfully.

“Yeah, hi Vi!” Said another.

My name wasn’t Vi, but anyways.

“I got this,” Susan winked at me before waving back at the girls. “Hey guys, how’s it going? I see you like my latest video.”

They looked at each other for a moment before one snapped her fingers in realization.
“Oh yeah! Half the time I forget you’re the one behind the whole page, Susan!”

Annie snorted.

“Nice pj’s by the way.”

“Pure silk, thank you very much and yup, that’s me, the mastermind.” Susan said, coolly. “We’ll be glad to have you guys come over, if you tell your friends, that would be great too, and I might even put a word in with the chef, ‘cause we’re like this.” She crossed her index and middle fingers.

“Wow!” The girls chorused, eyes practically shining.

“Susan!” I whispered, pinching her arm.

“Ow! I’m just getting Jimmy extra customers!” She chuckled and leaned over to whisper “He’s sooooo going to love me.”

That was besides the point. The problem here was that one of these thirsty, pesky, potential dad-nappers was Hattie Jensen and she was always looking for a way to blend in with Cassandra’s group who didn’t deem her ‘cool’ enough, what if she went on to invite Cassandra?

“You know what? Never mind.” I shrugged.
There was no way Cassandra would be interested in my Dad, she probably had like a hundred boyfriends, even if she didn’t, she wasn’t an idiot…no offense to Susan… so I didn’t really have much to worry about.

“Ugh, who summoned that one?” Annie scoffed quietly and I looked up to see Cassandra walk into the classroom, her eyes on her phone as she smiled to herself.

Hattie Jensen bounded over to her happily. “Hi Cassie!”

“Shi- You!” Cassandra exclaimed, holding her phone to her chest. “What? I’m having a rough day already so get on with it!”

“Let’s go to Jimmy’s to unwind after school, I don’t know if you’ve seen that video online but it’s pretty cool.” Hattie said, saying the last two words in playful conspiracy.

Cassandra didn’t miss a beat, “I won’t be caught alive in any place related to that girl, Adams. So nice try, her Dad’s not even that sexy.”

Susan’s jaw clattered to the floor. I nearly pumped my fist in celebration and Annie raised her brows in disbelief.
“I’m not crushing on your Dad or anything but I have eyes so that is just a lie fresh out of hell.” She leaned over to say.

“He’s …not?” Hattie looked confused for a second.

Wow, this was better than TV.

Cassandra clenched her phone tighter and shook her head. “Now get out of my way, I’ll be going to my masseuse after school, you should go straight to the gym.”

It was my turn to drop a jaw. Cassandra barely tolerated Hattie but she’d never once straight up dissed the girl like that.

The class had gone quiet to listen to the conversation, but now people were murmuring among themselves.
Luckily, the teacher walked in soon after to put an end to the drama.

“I’m going to need more than one soda.” I said to Annie and she placed another can in my hand.

“Thanks.”

✷⁠‿✷⁠‿⁠✷

By the time it was a few minutes to lunch period, I had to physically and mentally pull myself along. It was a battle of wills at this point and I was running low on wills.

Luckily for me, Cassandra had prevented my ‘hot Dad’ problem from spreading, but people were still talking about the restaurant because they’d seen Jason and Angelo in the video, so yeah, I was still going to be overworked today.

Speaking of Angelo, it was somehow more exhausting for me to hear people talking about him everywhere without actually laying eyes on him. At least I could text him now.

Me: Got off class early, you still running from your destiny?

Or I hoped that’s what I typed, I was so tired I could barely find the letters.

While I waited, I branched by the water fountain for a drink, nearly drowning my phone in excitement when I finally received one. Gosh, I was so lame.

Angelo: What’s this code called again? Doesn’t look familiar.

I looked back at what I’d typed with a slightly more awake brain and laughed to myself before making another attempt.

Me: Haha. It’s just me trying to type while half awake. I need sleep.

Angelo: I hear the Janitor’s closet is pretty empty at the moment.

What was he up to? Whatever it was, I was sold. My more rational side was hesitant though.

Me: I hear the consequences for a student caught in there are dire.

Angelo: I have chocolate cake.

What rational side again? I immediately started walking down the hallway after leaving one last text.

Me: Don’t finish it. I’m on my way!

The hallway was quite empty since classes were still going on so I had no problem going into the Janitor’s closet.

And there Angelo was, waiting, leaning on the desk at the far end of the room while stuffing his face with cake.

“Jeez, where did you even get that?” I asked, walking over to him.

“Here, have the rest before I make a fool of myself.” He said and stuffed the last piece into my mouth whole just before I wrapped my arms around his middle.

“Mmm!” I sighed, sinking into him as I chewed down the best chocolate cake I’d had in a while.

“I know.” He said in reply, taking a moment to dust his hands off before hugging me back. “I got a few free coupons for cake from the many letters I saw in my locker. Turns out a student here runs an undercover cake business.”

He seemed pleased about that. I just liked the way I could feel the vibrations of his chest when he spoke.
With a pleased smile that I couldn’t hold back, I snuggled closer to his warmth, feeling content for the first time in a while.

“Still tired?” He asked softly, the gentleness in his voice washing over me.

“Mmhmm” I said, “I want to go back to my little vacation at Hotel Lotus. Things didn’t seem so bad then.”

His chest moved with a silent chuckle. “You’re right. I might have gotten too used to how things were. It’s hard to adjust to reality, isn’t it?”

I nodded a reply. The moment I stepped out of that hotel, harsh realities slammed into place and I could almost feel myself getting crushed.
“My mom has a boyfriend.”

“Your mom…” Angelo’s voice trailed off as he reached up to stroke my hair. “The woman from yesterday.... Olivia Blackwood Adams?”

Cringing a bit, I let out an embarrassed chuckle. "I called her that out loud, didn't I?"

"Dramatically." Angelo replied and that earned him a hard poke in the side. "Ow. So what happened after she showed up at the restaurant yesterday?"

"Well, I discovered..." I started, "that she and dad aren't actually divorced. I don't know how they managed to hide that from me."

"They're not?"

"No. That didn't stop her from getting a boyfriend though, he came by the restaurant as well, to find her. They travel together apparently and he's..." Keith's face as he spoke harshly to my mother flashed before my eyes and I didn't realize I'd gripped Angelo's hoodie in my fist till I felt his hand move to rub my back.

"Violet?"

"He does not treat her well." I said slowly and for the hundredth time, yesterday's events swirled uncomfortably through my mind.

Angelo gripped my shoulders gently, moving me back so he could look at my face. "You mean like...?"

I nodded.
"But I don't get it. My mother is ...the most outgoing, bold, confident and extroverted person I know, and I mean to the point of annoyance." I stressed, before shrugging lightly. "But with Keith...all that's gone."

Angelo's hands fell from my shoulders to clasp both my hands, the tiniest bit of concern furrowing his brows. "So you think he's...."

"I know he is." I stated firmly. "I've been up all night thinking about this and I think I know enough to tell that's not how a good relationship is meant to be. But why her?"

I slipped my hands out of his to rub under my eyes with a heavy sigh. "She's not like me, things like this only happen to people like me who don't know anything, or can't fight back... I'm not strong like her...or smart or...good at anything! I'm just small and stupid and..."

"Violet."

I caught myself a bit too late and removed my hands from my face to look down at my feet. "I'm sorry, okay? I know you don't like when I... talk like that...or apologize..."

"Hey," Angelo said and he reached out to hook a finger under my chin so I could lift my head but I kept my gaze to the side. "What, you don't want to look at me?" He asked quietly and leaned over to catch my eye.

"Letty, I think you're doing great." He said and I sniffed. I was starting to hate crying and I really didn't want to do that right now especially since I was looking at him through blurry eyes. "Hey, you haven't said negative things to yourself for quite a while now. So that's progress."

"Doesn't mean I don't think it though." I said through the pressure I felt in my throat from holding back tears. 

"Baby steps, darling." Angelo said, and I felt a tear slide down my cheek when I shut my eyes, and then his hand was there to catch it, warm against my skin.

"You know," he continued, "This thing with your Mom, I don't know why it is, but I'm sure talking to her would help you understand more. Maybe this even has to something to do with why she cut off contact with you."

I doubted that Keith would let her see me again but just looking at Angelo was enough to make me hopeful.
"Maybe" I said, softly.

He stared at me for a moment, his thumb still drawing lines on my skin.
"You know you're not the problem, right?" He asked, silver eyes shifting between mine.

Smiling softly, I nodded and leaned into him once more, craving that secure feeling his arms provided.
"Don't worry, I know that much."

Almost like he could tell, he pulled me tighter against him, nearly taking my breath away. I could feel his quick heartbeat and his warmth and I just wanted to be here for as long as possible.

"Letty" He said, his voice only a soft whisper against my temple and I hummed in response, still breathing in his familiar scent that seemed to make my heart skip.

"Tomorrow." He said.

"Tomorrow..." I mumbled, "what's going on tomorrow?"

"I'm taking you out, remember?" He said, "we have a date."

My eyes popped open as a chill of excitement raced through my spine. "Really?" I asked, pushing back against his chest to look at him while hurriedly wiping the rest of my tears. "Tomorrow, like tomorrow night? Tomorrow's Friday, you know this is technically short notice right?"
I didn't give a damn if it was 'technically' short notice, I couldn't even keep myself from smiling!

Angelo looked a bit surprised at my reaction, and with his hands still lingering around my waist, he shrugged, "I could move it if you want..."

"Nope, tomorrow's perfect! Where are we going? What time? What are we doing?"

He seemed to think about it for a second.
"Am I supposed to tell you all that? That's not how it goes, is it? I'm sure you'd rather be surprised."

"Oh not a surprise, I'll think about it all the time now." I lamented. "If I guess right, would you tell me?"

"Absolute..."

"Yay!"

"...ly not."

"Aww!" I pouted for a second then went on to give him a playful sour look. "Fine. At least tell me something about it."

He leaned back against the table and shrugged "Dress warm?"

Ooh, that would mean outdoors. "I'll work with that." I said, sweetly.

Angelo let out an airy chuckle and leaned down close enough for me to feel dizzy. "How much time do you think we have before the bell goes?" He asked quietly, his fingers were twirling around strands of my hair now.

My voice was just as quiet as his as I started to close the distance. "Maybe a few..."

The shrill, unmistakable sound of the bell suddenly rang though the air and my shoulders slumped.
"....seconds." I deadpanned.

"Ah...never thought I'd dislike the sound of a lesson ending." Angelo said and gave me a quick peck on my cheek while pulling his hood over his head. "Are we leaving or... would you like to take the risk?"

"Nope! We'll have plenty of time to kill on our date!" I grinned and spun around to face the door.

I had to take a moment to prepare myself for stepping back out into the wormhole that was the rest of the world.
Just as I stepped into the hallway, I was face to face with some random couple making out on the side of a locker and completely taking me by surprise.

"Jeez! Crackers...!" I whispered and the girl looked up, the collar of the boy she had against the locker still in her fists.

I made to cover my eyes but quickly concluded that was stupid. "Sorry to startle you, I was just....wait.... Hunter?!" I chuckled in amazement.

He actually looked rather love struck. "Uh... just hold on a moment...." He said to me and he was yanked into another round of what I probably wasn't meant to be seeing.

Blowing out my cheeks, I glanced around and sure enough, Angelo was gone. I'd find him later.

"I'll leave you two to...you know..." I made to go but the girl raised a finger to stop me. "Okay then..."

Finally, she was done locking lips.
"I was just leaving." She said in a pretty french accent as she stepped back from Hunter who looked like he needed a moment to remember how to use his legs.

"Manon..." He sighed.

Hmm, the floor was so....shiny right now.

"Abientot, pretty boy." The girl apparently named Manon said and nodded my way before walking off.

Then I proceeded to give Hunter a pleasantly surprised stare with my mouth open and everything till he snapped out of his daze and pushed off the locker to his feet.

"Violet. What you just saw, you can tell no one" He said, putting an arm around my shoulder.

"You actually like someone!" I informed him, leading the way to the cafeteria.

"What? You're creeping me out with that crazy look of yours."

"I never thought you could! More so someone like her, she's intense, have you seen her play dodge ball...?"

Hunter's eyes may have sparkled. "I bet she's awesome at it. She's so full of surprises! I thought she was a dainty little thing, and those twin pigtails and frilly skirt of hers? Absolutely deceiving. And I know because I teased her and she slapped me and the next thing I know you're interrupting the best moment of my life."

He laughed and rubbed his cheek with his hand.

"Okay, that's interesting," I said, shimmying away from him so his arm fell away from my shoulders. "Why am I keeping this a secret again?"

"Not necessarily a secret, just don't tell my sister." He said.

"Tell your sister what?" I heard Angelo say just as he appeared next to us, hood still over his head.

"Hey!" I grinned. "Hunter likes a girl."

Angelo glanced over his shoulder at where Manon and Hunter were a while ago. "I thought that was him." Then casually, like it was a common, everyday topic, he leaned over, looked Hunter in the eye and said dryly: "You're a bottom."

A loud snort escaped my nose before I could hide it and Hunter turned red by at least three shades.
"Angie!" I whispered through giggles.

"Yeah, yeah, thanks for the info." Hunter chuckled. "But man, I'll be anything for Manon."

"She doesn't even know your name!" I said as Angelo pushed open the door to the cafeteria which was bustling with people.

"She does. But that's hardly a problem."

"Awww, look at him, he's so in love." I cooed, grabbing onto Angelo's arm.

"Oh yeah, my sister." Hunter said and gestured to the group of people approaching us, Susan, Annie and Jason. "Just trust me on this and don't accidentally talk about her around Susan."

"Yeah, okay. Hi guys!" I waved cheerfully and bounded over to hug my girls.

"Girl, you were basically sleepwalking an hour ago, where did you go?" Annie asked.

"The Janitor's closet with Angelo." Hunter chuckled.

I gasped and stared at him while my friends laughed. "Really bold, Hunter. It wasn't like that guys!"

"Nah, we're not letting go of that." Susan said, taking my arm to pull me along and somewhere in the middle of the laughter and playful jabbing, I looked across the room and locked eyes with the last person I wanted to see right now.

Hale. He didn't say anything, he was just there at his table with some jocks and cheerleaders like he usually was but my heart dropped to the pit of my stomach at the eye contact. I immediately hated myself for still feeling this way even though I was sure he no longer had a hold on me.

"Let's eat, today's spaghetti day." Jason was saying to Angelo and I turned back to my friends. I had nothing to worry about, I was safe with them.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

1M 23.5K 42
Xena deli is california's badass She causes havoc everywhere She's a party animal but what happens when one day she's gets kicked out of her 23rd s...
304K 7.6K 110
In which Delphi Reynolds, daughter of Ryan Reynolds, decides to start acting again. ACHEIVEMENTS: #2- Walker (1000+ stories) #1- Scobell (53 stories)...
300K 8.7K 32
Annabelle's life is harder than anyone could ever imagine. She spends her days locked in her room not wanting to talk to anyone but her best friend A...
225K 8.1K 35
"You're trying, you really are but what I have done to you has broke you in ways not even God can describe." SEQUEL TO THANK YOU MR BULLY! Best: Shor...