The Beginning Prophecy: Fires...

By SecondFlickBall

Four Clans of cats have shared the wilderness for generations, living by a code laid down by those before the... More

Allegiances
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two

Chapter Five

57 2 1
By SecondFlickBall

"Ravenpaw!" Graypaw blurted out as his head shot up. "We should check up on him. He must be so lonely in the medicine den."

"Ravenpaw? Isn't that the apprentice who was injured last night?" Firepaw asked, licking his jaws.

Spottedleaf finished her meal and sat up, licking her paw clean. "Correct. Mossfall is a skilled medicine cat and I'm sure he's doing fine." She stood before shaking out her pelt. "Though I think he'll enjoy some company."

She headed for the shady corner where Mossfall had made her den. The strong scent of herbs flooded her senses as she slipped inside, her eyes taking a moment to adjust to the light.

The medicine cat's den was located in a rock at the end of a tunnel of ferns. There was a grassy clearing with a small pool at one edge inside. A tall rock stood at the side, split with a crack.

Ravenpaw lay curled up in a nest of moss, overshadowed by Tigerclaw's large frame. "So, Mossfall." The tabby addressed the medicine cat with a confident meow. "How is Ravenpaw? Can you save him? I've spent a lot of time training him, and I don't want my efforts to be wasted so soon. It was only his first battle."

Mossfall's blue eyes were calm. "Yes, that would be a pity, wouldn't it?"

"Is he going to live?" Demanded Tigerclaw.

"Of course he's going to live. He just needs more rest."

Tigerclaw jabbed the motionless black shape with one of his front claws, snorting. "Get up! You've been resting since last night!"

Ravenpaw didn't stir.

"Antlerpaw wasn't kidding. That claw is huge!" Hissed Firepaw.

Graypaw nodded. "I know I wouldn't like to fight him!"

"Did you not hear what I said?" Mossfall placed her paw over Tigerclaw's lengthy talon and moved it away. "Ravenpaw needs more rest."

Tigerclaw stiffened. He appeared about ready to speak when Mossfall continued. "Do not argue with a medicine cat, Tigerclaw."

Tigerclaw's amber eyes flashed at her words. "I wouldn't dare argue with you, dear Mossfall." He purred.

He turned to leave and caught sight of his kin and Firepaw. "Who is this?" He asked the fluffy apprentice. "He reeks of Twolegs. Is he a kittypet?"

"No, he's the new apprentice." Mewed Graypaw.

"But I was a house cat." Firepaw meowed confidently. "Now I'm training to become a warrior."

Spottedleaf was surprised by Firepaw's bold comment. Tigerclaw, as a warrior, stood taller than the ginger tom, but the dark tabby was unusually large. His shoulders and head were broad, giving him a high level of intimidation, and the scars that parted his fur showed he had seen his fair share of fights. The former kittypet has never been in a real battle; he's never seen what a warrior like Tigerclaw was capable of, Spottedleaf realized.

Tigerclaw's eyes sparked with sudden interest. "Yes, I remember now. Bluestar mentioned stumbling across a stray kittypet. She's actually going to try you out, eh?"

Firepaw's posture straightened. "Yes." He respectfully mewed.

Tigerclaw gave him a thoughtful look. "I shall monitor your progress with interest."

Firepaw proudly puffed out his chest as Tigerclaw padded off. "Did he like me?" He asked no cat in particular.

"Tigerclaw doesn't like any apprentices." Graypaw replied, and Spottedleaf found herself agreeing with him. Tigerclaw was a strong warrior who didn't seem to enjoy the company of any cat, though he tolerated his fellow warriors.

Ravenpaw shifted with a twitch of his ears. "Is he gone?"

"Tigerclaw?" Asked Graypaw as he trotted toward his denmate. "Yep. He just left."

"Hi." Firepaw began to introduce himself. "My name is Firepaw."

Ravenpaw fixed the new apprentice with wide, green eyes. "F-firepaw? I don't recall an apprentice by that name."

Graypaw reiterated Firepaw's history.

Ravenpaw blinked before curling back up, tucking his nose underneath his slim tail.

Spottedleaf laid her tail over Firepaw's shoulders upon noticing his crestfallen expression. "Ravenpaw is naturally shy, and skittish. He'll warm up to you eventually."

"Aw, come on, Ravenpaw! Now's not the time to sleep!" Graypaw was hopping around the black lump on his toes, fur puffed out. "You have to tell me about the battle. Did you really meet Oakheart? Was he as big as they say? Was he as great as they say?"

When Ravenpaw didn't even twitch, Graypaw prodded him with a paw. "Ravenpaw, please!"

"Have you ever seen a cat crushed by rocks?"

Spottedleaf was startled by Mossfall's sudden question, having forgotten that the medicine cat was still in her den. Her eyes were like shards of fresh ice in the darkness.

"No," Graypaw hesitantly began. "But no cat said Ravenpaw saw Oakheart die. He—"

"Have you ever heard a cat die?"

Graypaw wordlessly shook his head.

Spottedleaf suddenly felt a rush of sympathy for Ravenpaw. The skinny tom had been born nervous and seemed to fear the idea of leaving camp. He'd only received his apprentice name no more than two moons ago and had very limited knowledge of fighting. That alone was enough to forbid him from participating in the battle at Sunningrocks. Not that he would want to go. But Tigerclaw had insisted his apprentice join, claiming that it would toughen him up to see a real fight between warriors. Now, Spottedleaf realized, Ravenpaw would bear mental scars from that battle thanks to his mentor's decision.

Mossfall continued. "Then, why are you forcing him to relive such a traumatic event? For your own pleasure? If you want more details on the battle, why don't you ask Spottedleaf?"

Spottedleaf felt hot underneath the apprentices' eager stares.

"You were at the battle?! Why didn't you come back with the rest of the patrol?" Firepaw asked innocently.

"Tinyice ordered me to retreat." Meowed the tortoiseshell.

"Tinyice? You went back on his orders? Why?" Spottedleaf was taken aback by Graypaw's questions.

Spottedleaf's gaze hardened and zoned in on the gray apprentice. "Why wouldn't I? Do you think he has no right to give orders because he is not Clanborn?"

"No!" Graypaw immediately responded, eyes wide. "It's just," He seemed to be carefully selecting his words. "Tigerclaw and Redtail were there. Surely, they're in a better position to give orders? Especially orders to retreat."

Spottedleaf was about to reply before she was cut off by an impatient hiss from Mossfall. "If you three are just going to chatter like birds, do it outside my den. Can't you see that Ravenpaw is attempting to sleep?" She questioned, flicking her tail in the direction of the dark apprentice.

"Sorry, Mossfall." Apologized the trio in unison.

"Sleep well, Ravenpaw." Graypaw added quietly. He slipped out of the den with Firepaw and Spottedleaf following suit.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 214 27
Waterlily now has her medicine cat name. She has faced many hardships, but she has learned how important she is in the clan by being their medicine c...
11.8K 350 22
Lily is a pretty calico kittypet that can somehow communicate with StarClan. She is soon shown that she must try and help persuade Bluestar about the...
779 8 46
The five Clans have been thriving since Firestar died decades ago during the Great Battle. Cats have risen to lead the Clans for generations after hi...
17.5K 722 39
Experience some of the darkest stories from some of the Clan's most damaged warriors through their own perspective. Squirreltail was an incredibly lo...