Consuming Fire

By IsabellaModra

*AVAILABLE ON AMAZON* The third in the ROUGE series ... 'The true heroes are the ones who have courage, even... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Reviews
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 34 (copy)
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Hunger
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Epilogue (Part 1)
Epilogue (Part 2)
The End
Interview with the Author
COMPETITION - CLOSED
THE WINNERS

Chapter 58

2.4K 225 11
By IsabellaModra

Hunter woke up after a terrible nightmare. She was walking through the corridors of the death caves, everything empty, the doors flung wide open, freeing the shadows to attack her. As soon as she started running, she could hear a girl screaming. It sounded like Fearne. The faster she ran toward the door to freedom, the louder the screams became until her ears were burning and she tripped on the stone floor, waking up with a start.

She was in a dark room a little bit like a cell, only more furnished. Everything was cream and dark gray. Her blanket was red, the bed relatively soft. There were various clothes hanging in the closet. Was this her room or someone else's?

Then she remembered – she'd already been down to breakfast that morning. The Captain even ran a meeting to explain who the SSS was and that they were going to take the jet back to the cabin to retrieve the bodies of those they'd lost. Something about the FBI was mentioned. She talked to Miss Smart, too. She recounted the events of the past several months in which she woke up in the lab, discovered Eli had lost his memories, barely escaped the Agents, travelled the country with Eli and Joshua, saw a completely different side to him and fell in love. It was all a blur to Hunter. By the time she'd finished trying to eat breakfast, she was tired again. Miss Smart led her to a spare room and she fell asleep again, not feeling the throb of the flesh wounds in her arm and neck and her broken wrist.

No longer wanting to be alone, she decided to find Will. He wasn't there when she woke up in the hospital. Neither was Fearne's body. While she walked around the compound, she tried to get used to the thought that she would never again hear Fearne's voice in her mind. Her thoughts were empty, like a house with no furniture. She couldn't imagine what Will was feeling.

Eventually, Hunter found a girl who said she had seen Will go into Chevie's room. This made Hunter panic. She asked for directions and ran up the stairs to Ward B. Just as she was about to knock, the door opened and Chevie exited his room looking grim.

Forgetting that Chevie was responsible for stealing their only sample of Ravenadium, Hunter said, "have you seen Will?"

Chevie nodded and flicked his finger toward the door. The corner of his lip was cracked and swollen. "He's in my study. We were havin' a drink or thir'ee but I leff 'im alone."

Chevie stumbled against the wall and laughed to himself, making Hunter worry. Will had never had a drop of alcohol in his life.

"Can I see him?"

Chevie nodded. "I'm ... gonna go pack so you ... look arfer him, 'kay?"

"Pack?"

"Oh yeah," he smiled, "everyone hates me now coz I saved my dad an all so ... may as well bugger off."

Coward, though Hunter. She nodded. "Sure."

Chevie slumped into the corridor and Hunter warily entered his study. Inside was a large room filled with the kind of taste you'd expect of a wealthy older man; a pool table, a rich mahogany desk facing a window displaying a view of the afternoon sun. Studded leather armchairs and glass coffee tables. It was the stuff Joshua used to dream about.

And on one of the sofas sat Will with a glass of what had to be scotch in his hand, three empty bottles on the table. His clothes were covered in orange dirt and blood stains and his eyes were peeling shut. It looked like he hadn't slept at all. Hunter remembered the day he walked into the breakfast hall, carried by the guards, a tortured soul with nothing left to live for.

Somehow ... this was worse.

Hunter walked over and sat beside him, the sofa puffing out air. Will started, turned to look at her and nearly dropped his glass.

"Bloody hell," he grumbled. "I thought you were a fire truck."

Hunter blinked in surprise, too shocked to laugh. "Are you actually drunk?" She could smell the scotch on his breath and his eyes were struggling to stay open. "How much have you had?"

"Jusssssss ... you know wha'? I'm not sure. Thiss bottle comes from England. Hey!" He raised a hand. "Guess wha'? Both me an Chev come from East London, did you know tha'?"

"No, I-"

"Chev said I could 'ave as much as I want. So I will."

"Um, it was probably not a great idea to have so much on your-"

He pushed her away when she tried to take the glass from him. His movements were sloppy and he swayed toward her. "No! It helps Hunter."

"Yeah, for like an hour and then you have a horrible hangover and life hasn't changed."

"Not me, I'll just heal up an' be rain as righ'," he chuckled.

What? Hunter released the glass and it slipped from his fingers, spilling scotch across the plush red carpet.

"Whoopsie," said Will with a chuckle.

"Okay, I think you've had enough. You need to sober up before the funeral-"

"No no no no. No. Nnnnno. I'm not going."

Hunter gripped his shoulders and peered into his sleepy face. "What do you mean, you're not going?"

"I'm not. I don't need to say goodbye, I already-" hiccup, "-said it."

"It's what they'd want Will. Benji, Mosi and ... Fearne."

Will's eyes filled up with tears, and in a sudden outburst, he jumped to his feet with a near-empty bottle of scotch and threw it against the bookcase. It smashed and sprayed glass over the floor.

"I said I DON'T WANT TO GO!" He screamed at her. "I don't want to because I can't, Hunter! I can't lose her, she means everything to me!!"

"You're not the only one she meant something to," said Hunter gently, trying to calm him. To see him so hurt was worse than knowing Fearne was gone.

"You don't understand, I ..." He gripped his long hair, his chest heaving as tears rolled down his cheeks. "She was ... only one who saw me for who I really am. Who came out of nowhere and lit up my darkness with this ... light. And the light never wen' out. Not until now."

Hunter approached him, slowly so as not to startle him. She put a hand on his shoulder to steady him as the rest of his body leaned against the bookshelf. He breathed so heavily as she tucked his hair behind his ears, flinching at the touch, his eyes flickering with uncertainty.

She remembered what Fearne once said to her about moving on when she was consumed with grief. You can never truly move on until you've said goodbye.

"I know what it's like to lose someone I loved with every part of me." She held him steady, consumed by his gaze, her heart pounding for reasons she did not understand. "But you know what? The love they give you will never leave. Fearne will never leave you. Remember that, okay?"

Will nodded, focusing so intently on the curls that splayed out over her shoulder.

"I know that you'll miss her," she said. "But after everything we've been through in this life that keeps hammering us around like we're nothing, I'm going to choose to be thankful for the people I'm with. And the most important person is you."

Though he was under the influence of strong spirits, she could see the warmth and understanding in the glow of his shadowed, haunting eyes. In that moment it was just the two of them, two broken people trying to battle life together. Hunter tried to keep her heart from thumping out of her chest as he moved closer. His footing suddenly became strong and sure. With both hands he cupped her face. His thumbs stroked her cheeks. Then, as gently as he could muster and with a feather-light touch he brushed his lips against hers. The kiss sparked a new blaze within her of a longing so strong, she was left breathless and dizzy.

Apparently it left him dizzy also, for at that moment Will's legs caved in and his body slumped against hers, his face pressed into her chest.

"Will?" She gripped the shelf of books for support but he was heavier than she could handle and her wrist was throbbing from the weight of him. "Will, please stand up."

A part of him responded to her and his feet moved, one after the other.

"Okay, let's get you to your room."

Their rooms were only one floor up, and as she dragged him along, they passed two random older women giving them stunned looks.

"He's okay," she said as she punched the up button on the elevator.

Will's long legs were bent awkwardly as she hauled him into his room and onto the bed. His head hit the wall hard and she winced, thankful that he could heal himself.

Hunter hoisted his legs onto the bed and lifted the quilt over his body, ignoring the fact that he was still covered in dirt.

Suddenly, Will reached out to grasp her hand and she froze. She looked into his sleepy face and took a mental picture, knowing she would never see Will so vulnerable and sweet.

He mumbled something and she had to lean down closer to hear.

"What?"

"I have a secret," he said.

"What's that?"

"I want to go ... to paradise ... with you."

Hunter flashed back to her dark cell in the Death Caves. He wanted paradise more than freedom. What did paradise mean exactly?

If anything were ever more beautiful than the sincerity and love in his words, Hunter would search the world to find it. 

"One day," she replied. "I promise."

He fell asleep with a smile on his lips.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

544 18 14
There are heroes in this world for who it is clear that one day they will accomplish great things in life. Heroes who are born for greatness. Heroes...
120K 1.9K 35
(Number Five x Female OC) Highest Rankings: #1 #numbereight #1 #numberfive #1 #benhargreeves #1 #aidangallagher #1 #allisonhargreeves After one of...
5.8K 188 43
This story is back on Wattpad! ** Highest rank: #2 in superheroine ** "It's a lovely ending to the best superhero book I have ever read." - @Allan531...
48K 1.1K 21
Male Blue Beetle Reader X Atom Eve. Safety is merely an illusion in a time of super-powered turmoil and war. At this point; homework, tests, and essa...