My Significant Bother

By Altheyuhmoves

Synopsis: To the one I love, I cannot stand you. In fact, I hate you. To my dearly detested... how do I lo... More

Prologue : Hate Letter
Miss Minchin and her Bass
Payday or Payback?
Chasing the Shrew
Ambon/Bagyo
Uso Pa Ba Ang Harana?
Princess Turandot
Fiesta sa Nueva Esperanza
Expiration Date
St. Anthony's Retreat
Time is No Healer

Nightmare at Ziggy's

4.2K 107 68
By Altheyuhmoves

The brick walls were all painted in blues and yellows.  The school mascot was painted on the gym building as a knight with a cross. Tattered posters of the past student council elections left remnants of the school year.

It was the middle of the week and the students were loud, there was something brewing, and everything felt abuzz.

Welcome to Padua University, one of the prestigious schools in the Philippines. If not THE prestigious school in the country. Or so they say.

The best of the best go to this school. Doctors, lawyers, software engineers, future presidents, and white-collar criminals – who knows the difference when it comes to prestige? If you were a kid of someone of high value, it is either you go to Boston to study or you end up paying off someone in Padua University.

Anak ka ng General?  Sa Padua ka.  Anak ka ng Senador? Sa Padua ka.  Anak ka ng Doctor sa Makati Med? Sa Padua ka. Anak ka ng mayamang magnanakaw?  Malamang future mo sa Padua rin.

The campus was filled with beautiful colegialas with baguette handbags. The popular jocks wore maize and midnight blue varsity jackets. The lawns were manicured, the floors squeaked in all that wax, and photos of their numerous politicians were displayed everywhere in the Victorian inspired building.

The McDonald's by the school was filled with boisterous college students, bumping their car stereos blasting their music of choice. It was chaos. But that was the choice of chaos in Padua U.

Tumambay sa McDonald's meant many things. Cut class. Magpalibre. A quick fries and coke run but it was also a way to be on display.

The men ogled at the women.  The women judged everyone. Huge breakups happened there or at the quad. The Mercedes SUVs were all part of the show.  This was the culture of Padua U.

"Tangina, gusto ko lang naman magbanyo."

Narda Custodio doom scrolled on her instagram to get distracted in all this. She could never get used to it. No matter how many years she had spent in Padua. She kept her head down, carrying her backpack that almost seemed as big as her petite body.

She looked unpretentious in her tucked in maroon shirt.  She breathed out in an exasperated manner, puffing out the bangs that fell to her curious, dark eyes.   She always looked exhausted, her eyes bloodshot from the lack of sleep.

The McDonald's was full that time as she was in line for the restroom. The crowd was overexcited, the lines of people wrapped around everywhere, and the noise was suffocating.

She focused on her Instagram page, moving into a story of her and a beautiful young woman from almost two years ago. It was intimate; part of her social media highlights. She looked pensively at their photo.

"Nako! Move on din pag may time!"

"Pakyu! Matagal na ako moved on, Ding!"

She stood there with her best friend, Eduardo "Ding" Tan , a young scrawny guy who looked like a 12 year old lost in college.

"Ano ba Narda, malelate na tayo sa Immersion class," Ding exclaimed.

She rolled her eyes, fixing her hair into a messy bun.

"Mamatay na ako sa schedule ko, Ding. May trabaho pa ako mamaya. Fourth year na ako ... pagraduate na sa Biochem tapos may Immersion course pa?  Hindi ko na nga maayos buhay ko sa schedule ko – nakakaputa," Narda clicked her tongue in annoyance.

"Eh kasalanan mo yan, third year mo pa dapat kinuha yan — kakapostpone mo, ayan napala mo! Pero buti yan, magkasama tayo," Ding said, fixing his glasses.

"Gusto ko lang naman grumaduate!" Narda said playfully strangling Ding. The two of them burst into laughter.   Ding had always been her friend since she started at PU, he was one of the unpretentious ones.

While Narda waited in line, she felt a bump on her shoulder.   She knew it.   It was one of those girls.  Giggling again.

"Ayan na naman yung Coke lang order kasi makikigamit ng CR," she heard them say, the three girls in front of her laughed.

"I love your shirt, Narda! I love it, parang uniform mo na ano?" another one said in a perky almost condescending tone.

Narda was used to it. The colegialas who often made fun of her were faceless at that point, they all molded together.

"May something sa mukha mo," Narda smiled sheepishly at them.

The girls started patting their cheeks and in a paranoid frenzy, bringing out their pocket mirrors.

"Dito yung something,"  Narda said as she pointed at her nose and conspicuously raised a middle finger at them.

"You are SO FUNNY Custodio!"

The young women laughed and shook their heads.  Leaving the restaurant while their heels clicked in unison.

In Padua U culture, Narda was bottom of the food chain and she preferred it that way.   Not that she even wanted to be associated with this university life.  Narda was one of the few scholars of that prestigious school and she knew this was never her place.   She was a charity case.

Everyday was a constant reminder of that.

Her eyes veered to the same group of girls riding a Red Audi as loud music blared throughout the parking lot.  BGYO's "Magnet" was serving as the soundtrack of that entire place.

Narda kept rolling her eyes. Gusto. Ko. Lang. Grumaduate.

Then it all STOPPED.

It almost crashed.

It had everyone screaming.

A beaten up 1975 Dodge Dart screeched into a ear-splitting halt, the brakes in full gear, and louder music thudded onto the corners of the road. The bass was thumping and lewd music was coming from the old, blue car.

Peaches' "F*ck the Pain Away" was echoing throughout the place.

IUD, S-I-S, stay in school 'cause it's the best

F*ck the pain away, f*ck the pain away

"OMG, papatayin niya tayo! Her car is so kalawang! I might get Tetanus!!"

"Move your head out of your sphincter and then drive," a deep voice yelled out of the old car.

The young women cowered in terror as they looked away from the driver.

"A-ano daw?" one of the colegelias asked politely.

"Head out of your ass!  Now MOVE baka banggain ko pa car ng daddy mo– your insurance does not cover idiocy!"

The crowd watched intently, it was suddenly quiet.

The young woman got out of the car, dressed in a black mesh sweater. She walked with a certain commanding presence.  Her hair was wavy, blonde streaks looked like golden serpents that fell on her morose face. 

She was beautiful but covered in dark eye-makeup that emphasized her light brown eyes.  Her lipstick was almost inked in black.  Her lips sensuously blew out smoke as she took one puff out of her vape pen.   She gave one dagger look at the colegialas and they all cowered in fear.

"Ayan na ang Feminazi. Maria Regina Vanguardia," Ding whispered to Narda, who was staring blankly.

Narda smirked and shook her head.  Shuffling her hands in her pocket.

Pfft, ano naman? Poor little rich girl?

She KNEW OF Regina Vanguardia.  Future attorney.  Heiress of Vanguardia real estate properties. One of the two daughters of the Real Estate Mogul, Rex Vanguardia.  Known as Padua's femi-nazi and routine social justice warrior.  Most Hated.

Wednesday.  Bellatrix.  Serial Killer Vibes.

Tempestuous bitch was another term.

Narda on the other hand, couldn't care less.

She was just another "Anak-ng-kung-sino". Padua U breed.

"Ah, nagkasighting tayo kay Serial Killer— pero alam mo, parang pwede 'yan.  Parang may rainbow nga siya sa instragram. Tapos may pronouns, " Ding whispered.

He smiled, showing Narda the said Instagram feed that was filled with her angry rants.

"Ulol ka, Ding.  Ano ba tingin mo basta bakla iarrange mo na saakin?!"

Regina acted like she was at the bottom of the food chain but Narda knew she was just like the rest.

"Just another PU kid with different packaging — timepers, ihing ihi na ako," Narda said in a hurry, shrugging, slamming her backpack on Ding's chest.

__________________________

Luciano "Luce" Corpuz was nervous as he walked around the crowded hallways of Padua Hall. It was surreal, seeing boisterous college kids in hallways that were built like old Spanish Catholic churches.

Luce grew up everywhere, his dad was a diplomat for the Philippine government. He has moved all over from Vienna to Paris to Singapore.  Now, with his dad entering Philippine politics, he had to settle in Padua University.

He walked around with glasses on, he was unassuming and had moreno boyish looks.  He was proper and only talked when spoken to.  Luce was so used to moving around his entire life, he never really had friends nor was he so used to the college culture.

He was sweating in the air-conditioned guidance office.  It reeked of isopropyl alcohol and it felt like a confessional in there.  He watched as Miss Berta Lagman studied his thick folders of transcripts.

She was an older woman who plastered a fake smile the entire time, and he gulped knowing he got in because of his connections.

"Mr. Corpuz — My— my — twelve high schools, three universities –," Miss Berta said with a wide smile but her voice dripping in sarcasm.

"Uhm —We plan to stay here for good na po," Luce said in a soft-spoken manner.

"I am sure you won't find PU any different than your other schools. Lagi namang pareho. May connection ka naman — wag ka lang maging gago, batugan, o hayop sa katangahan — papasa ka naman at who knows — magiging Presidente pa— magiging alum ng Padua U, go knights," the smile never left Miss Berta's face.

"E–excuse me? A-am I in the right office?" Luce was astounded, his words barely getting out of his mouth.

"Ang sabi ko hijo, welcome to the school," Miss Berta said with a wide grin.

Luce looked puzzled as he slowly stood up from the office chair. He walked nervously out of the door, only for him to feel something hot onto his skin.

In front of him was a young woman with coffee spilled all over her sweater. She was drenched in the hot drink and she bit her lower- lip as if calming herself down from fuming.

"I—I'm sorry – Miss— hindi kita nakita," Luce was stuttering, he managed to get a white handkerchief to pat the woman dry.

"And you think touching me on my chest is appropriate? Yan ba sorry mo —" She glared at him with her bodkin-like eyes.

"H–ha? Hindi po, Miss — I was not touching anything! I –I'm sorry talaga..."

He was panicking now. She picked up her paper cup and threw it into the trashcan in frustration. The smell of the black coffee flooded her senses.

"TABI," it came out of her mouth tersely, her eyes were blank as she spoke.

"Look, I can pay for the coffee ... I didn't mean to ruin your sweater or touch anything po..."

"Ang kulit — TABI!  Leave it! It's fine!"

Luce quickly got out of her way, walking at break-neck speed to avoid the young woman.  The door was slammed behind him as he scurried out of the way.

"Ah, insan - nameet mo na ang man-hater. Si Regina Vanguardia," a young man's voice blurted out.

Luce turned quickly to see his cousin, the tall and clownish, Richard Corpuz plastered with a lazy grin.

He was lucky he had his cousin with him, he would not know how to survive sophomore year in the Philippines without Richard.

"That was Regina Vanguardia? So the rumors on social media are true," Luce said, exhaling in chagrin.

"Insan, you have to learn a lot about the inner workings of Padua - yung food chain dito. Si Regina– ano yan, yung vulture. No-no," Richard put his arm around Luce, like a mentor to his mentee.

—----

"Regina, you cannot keep scaring everyone away.  Binangga mo raw sina Isabela sa McDo kanina. May kaso ka pa noong sinipa mo si Elias Sanchez sa basketball court— " Miss Berta exclaimed, concern was written all over her face while she stared at the young woman in front of her.  She looked at Regina's file and slammed it on her desk.

Regina Vanguardia was a constant fixture in the Guidance office.  It was her second home at this point. Regina was a complex student to figure out for Miss Berta.  So she somehow rooted for the young woman.

Regina was an extremely intelligent over-achiever with a double major. She was not like the other well-connected kids in Padua U, she was socially conscious, she constantly fought for what was right, and actually deserved her academic standing.   She was just so angry all the damn time.   Everything for her was a fight.   She stood up for everything as if her life depended on it. As if war had to be ignited, every chance she got.  Lahat pinaglalaban.

"Regina, ako ang napapagod sa'yo..."

"Ma'am. One, Isabela was the one driving recklessly, I was right of way. Two, I still maintain natapilok si Sanchez and kicked himself on the balls," Regina smiled, her dark lipstick smudging a bit.

"Ay, o, may smile," Miss Berta said gleefully.

Regina shook her head and huffed in exasperation, her chunky combat boots thudded, showing her impatience. She was used to Miss Berta's motherly sermons.

"Miss Vanguardia, gagraduate ka na. Gusto mo ba mag-catch up ito sa mga conduct demerits mo? Ano ba issue mo? Like it or not — mabait ka namang bata —- under all that," Miss Berta said, pointing at Regina with slight disgust, puffing air as if trying to find words to describe her.

"Bakit ba ganyan lipstick mo bata ka? Para kang kumain ng pusit."

"Ano po? All this?" Regina cocked one eyebrow.  Proud of her villain image.

"Pero Regina, naman, hindi lahat kailangan mo bardahin dito sa school. Pwede ba tapusin mo lang ang term na ito nang walang pinapaiyak? Madali lang naman siguro yun?"

"I promise po. That I will try to be — ugh —- nice to these social zombies in their pathetic consumer-driven lives.  Completely oblivious to the anxiety-driven economy that we are about to face.  I will adjust to this superficial and vapid hierarchy kahit labag sa loob ko para makagraduate? Ok na po?"

Regina had a sing-song tone, forcing a sunny disposition.

"Late ka na sa klase mo— alis na. Bago magbago isip ko," Miss Berta shook her head.

"As usual, thank you for your guidance," Regina said tersely.

Just as she was about to walk out the door, Miss Berta had to just say a few parting words.

"Alam mo, Regina, the best defense is not always offense. The world is not out to get you. Hindi lahat kalaban."

Regina smiled weakly and waved.

—---

The St. Anthony of Padua Immersion Course is one of the most hypocritical classes in PU.

Graduates full of society's notorious white-collar criminals. Covered up hazing incidents. Corruption charges within the school but one of their forced electives is to learn about a saint. 

By the end of the year, they were all supposed to go on a retreat in Tagaytay to talk about their changes.   It was vomit-worthy in Narda Custodio's eyes but she had to stay there.

"Shit," she whispered to herself.

But what she felt did not matter. She had to play her part. Her scholarship is barely getting by, she had jobs to juggle, a mother to fend for, little sisters who all looked up to her, and the only chance out of a dead-end in the Custodio household.

Narda had no time to complain, she just had to act.  To live.  To strive.  Sometimes she thought she should schedule her breakdowns on Outlook.

"Schedule breakdown," she wrote in her notebook.

She was so bored out of her mind in this class, maybe she could sneak in a quick 10-minute nap, she thought to herself. 

She found herself dozing off in the huge lecture hall as the old priest, Father Fred, kept telling the story of St. Anthony.

She suddenly felt a tap on her shoulder and she looked to see a young man smiling at her.  He was conventionally handsome and had chiseled features. His hair was slick and he had a Padua U varsity jacket.  He had a playful smirk that highlighted his Chinito features.

"I'm Carson Chu," he said confidently, his cologne was strong, fumes crawling to Narda's nose.

He sat next to Narda, while Ding was on the other side looking at them very confused.

"Kilala po kita — impossible naman na hindi ko kilala yung point-guard ng basketball team," Narda said as she went back to her notes, writing vigorously.

"Custodio, right? The smart one? I did not know na— the pretty one din pala," he flashed his dimples, scooting closer to her.

Narda exhaled and tried to ignore him, writing some more.

"Alam ko may quiz dito mamaya,e. Maybe you can help me a bit by just showing a little bit of your paper, right? Please? Hindi ko kasi nareview,e," he said, obviously flirting with Narda. His muscled arm crawled to the back of her wooden chair.

Ding was trying to control himself from snorting.

She glared at Ding who was enjoying this too much.

"Ano pa narinig mo?" Narda asked him as she continued with her notes.

"Well — yeah, prized scholar of PU, right? Number 1 sa Biochem. Masipag magaral, magaling na tutor— hindi ko alam, maganda rin pala," he whispered.

"But also SO gay? Hindi ikaw ang market ko."

Carson was taken aback, looking like he was stumped on a difficult equation he had to solve.

Ding guffawed.

"Hoy, Pretty Boy. I do not care what you are or who you are. Gusto mo ng answers sa bawat quiz, pati assignments mo dito? I charge via Gcash. Your results are guaranteed. One thing you also need to know about me is I am a hustler. Charity case nga ng PU, hindi ba? 150 per quiz. Assignment din. Pag essay - 350 hanggang 4000. Exam —negotiable," Narda smirked.

Carson clenched his jaw and nodded in agreement.

"Pleasure doing business with you,Pretty Boy."

But their conversation had to stop when they noticed a commotion up front. A debate.

The deep voice booming through the room.

"I just find all this reeking of hypocrisy.  Does the church care about women?  Eh RH Bill nga umeepal simbahan?  The church is dying because of this.   If the church wants to play partisan politics by making women's rights a litmus test – then it should pay taxes like everybody else. We sure could use the revenue. Ang dami nilang kita,e!"

There she was.  The familiar wavy locks, the blonde streaks that flowed on her pallid shoulders. Regina Vanguardia was debating with the lecturer.

"Father! Father— If I can counter po – the church is still the largest charity organization in the world. Pero ang tanong ko lang kasama ba sa RH Bill kaya ang PMS meds? Kailangan ata ni Regina," Carson said sarcastically, yelling it out.

Everyone in the classroom exploded into laughter.

"Sure, blame extreme problems in our politics with my menses. Buti naman nagrerecite ka — kasi baka pati itong klase rin na ito hindi mo rin ipasa– Father, pwede ba magdribble lang ng bola dito si Carson? Baka yun lang kasi final presentation niya," Regina snapped.

"OOOOOOOH!!!!"

The class erupted into so much boisterous chaos, students laughing and howling at the brewing fight.

Father Fred looked overwhelmed, trying to quiet the class down.

Narda massaged her forehead and shot her hand up, raising her arm into the air.

"Y— yes— Miss Custodio, right?" Father Fred pointed.

"Father, I hate to interrupt this debate pero hindi po ba may quiz pa? Pag nagovertime po kasi ang klase, malelate pa po ako. Kabilang hall pa po klase ko," she said softly.

"Panira," some people murmured.

And her head went down when the quiz paper was passed on to her.  She wrote the answers vigorously, and like clockwork, she showed the answers to Carson.

Gusto. Ko. Lang. Grumaduate.

—----------

The Liberal Arts Quad was quiet, Luce sat by the gushing fountain while he listened to Richard talk about the social hierarchy in PU.

He laughed at how ridiculous it all sounded.  He watched as the men in their jersey jackets mingled with everyone.  Treated like celebrities within the university. 

He also watched as a bunch of students avoided them.

"Yung mga pinakamatatalino yun yung mga asa Sciences. Mga Biochem daw, andun daming scholar.  Heads down lang mga yan, mga outcast.  Pinakasikat dito — mga untouchable, yung sina Carson Chu and his knights.  Lahat ng girls sila ang type.  Tapos yung mga anak ng Senators na laging cutting classes at may dalang weed— cool by association mga yun.  Rule lang dito — know your group. You just do not want to be seen with the wrong people," Richard said, taking a bite out of his cheeseburger.

"So what group are we?"

"Majority. Mid-scale lang. Steady lang. Hindi nasa baba. Hindi rin nasa taas."

"This is such bullshit, Richard. It sounds juvenile," Luce reasoned out.

Luce suddenly found himself called on by what seemed like the cold breeze. The music was playing softly, all while the cheerleaders practiced by the row of Acacia trees.

One of the young mestizas flipped her chestnut brown hair as she tried to sway her hips to the beat. She wore a blue and yellow cheer uniform.  Her lips were flushed.  Her eyes were hazel and kind.

Bini's "Kinikilig" was playing in their speakers, the girl was swaying her arms and moving her delicate hands in sync.  Everyone watched her in awe, she had a certain glow.  She felt warm when she smiled.  He watched as everyone seemed drawn to her.

"What group is she in?" Luce asked, his mouth agape and his eyes in a trance.  Absolutely smitten.

"Yung NEVER' group," Richard said, pushing his cousin.

"Who is she?"

"Maria Luna Vanguardia. Si Luna — the other Vanguardia sister."

They observed as the sweet- looking Luna talked to the crowd around her.

The tall Carson Chu playfully covered her eyes, teasing her.

Luce realized she looked ravishing while she laughed.

  She playfully pushed the college jock and all Luce could do was watch from afar.

"D—do I get to talk to her?" Luce stuttered.

"Tigilan mo yan, Luce. Ang mga katulad natin — we do not interact with Luna. At saka tignan mo, pinopormahan na ni Carson,o— Basta NEVER," Richard shook his head in frustration.

"Why the hell not?"

"Tol – tignan mo nga itsura mo. Para kang Mayor manamit.  Pre, widely known fact na nakabakod ang Ate nyan.  Widely known fact the Vanguardia Sisters are off-limits."

Luce was in a daze as he looked at Luna from afar. She turned her head noticing him, her lips curved into a smile.

He learned from everyone else that she was the type who always greeted everyone.

The sunshine girl, Luna Vanguardia — napakabait, napakacharming — so opposite of her wretched Ate.

—-------------

The Vanguardia mansion was known as the colonial tower in Ayala Alabang.  It was a gleaming house with an intricate porch and white columns everywhere.   It sat at the end of the street, almost like it was all alone there, it was cold and uninviting.

The living room was adorned with Fernando Amorsolo paintings, hunter guns, and leather furniture.  Untouched.  Portraits were displayed everywhere, Rex with his two beautiful daughters, Regina and Luna, through the years.  Each photo looked like Regina's light behind her eyes dimmed and dimmed.

Regina lazily observed the new portrait her dad displayed, she scoffed.

She fixed her hoodie. At home, she was baby-faced,  her eyeliner, now smudged after a shower. She lazily walked around the living room, looking at her iPhone. 

She had logged into the American website for the Law School Admission Test.

She passed.

She is getting into US Law School. 

Her dad had been pushing for her to go to Columbia Law School.

Her life had been mapped out, that is how it should be for an Old Money Vanguardia.  She would be her dad's prized lawyer that would work for Vanguardia properties, his future Chief Legal Officer. Luna would be the one going to business school and taking over the investments.

Regina sighed in exhaustion.  She found herself walking to the mahogany bar, pouring herself a Merlot.    She should be relieved, she should be happy. But all she felt was dread that dropped to the pit of her stomach.

She gulped the wine. Warming her stomach, she still had that sense of dread.

There was the sound of the gravel outside. Regina suddenly bolted and ran towards the window.

------------

I knew it.

From the window, she saw her younger sister, Luna getting out of a red pick-up.  A young man led her to the gate and it was Carson Chu who playfully pushed Luna.

The two talking—- definitely, flirting.

Regina swigged her rouge drink, looking sullen.  Rolling her tongue, scheming.

She intently watched until she heard footsteps behind her.

"Hello Anak. Made anyone cry today?" a deep voice with a slaw drawl quickly got her attention.

Rex Vanguardia stood behind his daughter, his eyes heavy and his black suit draped on him, making him look handsome yet menacing.

"Sadly, no. But it's only 6:30," Regina laughed sarcastically.

"At umiinom ka na naman?"

"Antioxidants, Dad," she raised her glass.

Rex smiled dryly, pouring himself a drink in his schooner-glass.  

He was serious, strict, and he had an intimidating demeanor.  Rex had raised his daughters by himself ever since they were young, he had to play the overprotective father.

"Have you gotten the results sa LSAT?" He asked as he sipped his wine, sitting by the bar, observing Regina's every movement.

"H–hindi pa," she lied.

"Tapos lahat ng internships mo nasa non-profit? Pro-bono? I thought we decided na you will be doing more projects within corporate law dahil yun ang kailangan mo sa Columbia Law?"

"No. YOU decided," she said softly, widening her eyes gulping the bitter liquid.

"Regina... are we doing this again? Stop this ridiculousness na parang you can save the world. Gusto mo tumulong? Magcharity ka, tumulong ka pero alam mo naman ang DAPAT," Rex said condescendingly.

"Right, I forgot that we cannot make decisions for ourselves in this family," Regina scoffed.

"I trust you enough, Regina, to make decisions, all your extra stuff, mga protesta mo, mga pesteng vlogging mo, your political bullshit pero your future is on the line here. This is child's play, saving the world is naïve ... I am preparing you for bigger things," Rex sneered, cutting off his daughter.

"I—know," Regina swallowed some air, looking blankly at her reflection from the window.

—----

"Goodbye, Luna," Carson Chu smiled as he closed the steel gate.  He was happy, he tucked his bangs behind his ear that showed off his black earring.  They looked shyly at each other, a burst of youthful romance was flowing through in their little interaction.

Luna was sheepish about it.  Demure, even. Carson Chu was a new friend and she knew she could not be that obvious.  But she had always had a crush on him, she had waited for this moment that he would finally see her.  What girl would not want Carson Chu's attention?

Her heart was still fluttering when she went upstair s, only to find her father and her sister, Regina in an intense conversation.

"Buti naman dumating ka na," Regina exclaimed.

Rex turned around swiftly, looking at his Rolex watch.

"Anong oras na? Cheerleading practice was over two hours ago," Rex murmured.

Luna was startled.  It was that time again.  She was so used to being interrogated by both her Ate Regina and her Dad.  The living room lights directed right to her face did not help.

"Daddy — nagimbitahan lang naman kumain," she said almost in a whisper, holding on to her cheerleader skirt.

"CONVENIENT. Naimbitahan kumain? SINO kasama mo? Sino yung naghatid sa'yo diyan kanina? Si Carson?" Regina blurted out, almost coughing the words out.

"S–si Carson Chu— friend ko lang naman yun," Luna stammered.

"Who by the way, Dad- He's a raging imbecile.  A disgusting piece of work," Regina shook her head at the ridiculousness.

Rex massaged his forehead and clenched his jaw.  He paced and folded his hands, trying to reason out with his younger daughter.

"Luna - ano ba ang house rules dito?"

"No dating until you graduate," Regina taunted.

"Ano ba plano ba ninyo ihostage ako my whole college life? Sumobra na kayong dalawa noong high school. I cannot even go out with friends. It is normal naman siguro magpaligaw — at 19?!" Luna interjected.

"Ligaw? Ligaw was not the reason your mother and I got married early — and we all know how THAT ended," Rex jeered.

"Oh dear sister, you have no room to even consider these things at this point. Have you seen your grades?"

This was the usual for their family conversations.   She already had a protective father but she also had a fierce guardian with her older sister.  It was exhausting for Luna to be babied by the two of them. 

To have tigers lurching on her and breathing down her neck.

"Luna, he is not the kind you want to date. Trust me. Bata ka pa— he will ruin you," Regina suddenly went soft, her voice dripping in concern.  Her face looked vulnerable.

"PWEDE BA? Can you stop acting like my mother? EMPATHY does not suit you," Luna exclaimed. She covered her ears in her frustration and her brown hair fell to her eyes as she spoke in anger.

"Wag mo sagutin Ate mo nang ganyan," Rex  was grim and he looked at Luna with no sign of compassion.

"I can have empathy— how about mag-deal tayo," Regina said, slamming the wine glass on the oak table.

She walked with confidence, like a lawyer about to make a case.  She pursed her lips.  Plopping on the leather couch, booming with sudden tenacity.

"Dad— exception sa rules. Luna can go on dates? Pero sa isang kondisyon," Regina mused.

Rex looked baffled, he was stammering trying to explain, trying to go through his motions and his violent reactions.

"A—ano?!"

"How about Luna can date ... when I do," Regina laughed hysterically, covering her blond streaks with her hoodie.

She wanted to push this as a joke but when she looked at her father, it looked like they came into an agreement.   A tag-team to protect their precious Luna.  One look.  A virtual nod.  A quiet deal for Luna.

Rex suddenly stopped and a smile sprawled on his lips, he pointed at his elder daughter, looking impressed.

"What kind of a joke is this?! You— you will NEVER date anyone. You HATE everyone. YOU ARE MISERABLE," Luna was protesting.

"Sounds fair to me. Mag-date si Ate — pwede mag double date, mas matanda — mas rational decision. It sounds like a good deal," Rex chuckled.

"She's a MUTANT! Paano pag 'di yan magdate?!"

"Then you'll never date!  At ako, Rex Vanguardia, ay makakatulog. Deep slumber of a father knowing my daughters know better. Walang mga distractions."

Rex halted as soon as he heard his phone ring, within a minute he was running downstairs preparing his car.   Rushing to another urgent meeting.  The Vanguardia Old Money never sleeps.

"You LOVE ruining my life, ano?!" Luna yelled at Regina.

"Melodrama does not suit you, dear sister," Regina muttered, taking a whiff out of her vape pen.

Acting cold. Nonchalant. Callous.

"Bitch," Luna muttered under her breath, she could not stand her sister.

—----------------------------------------

Narda looked at her reflection on the stained mirror, her hair pulled up in a hairnet.  She was in her usual maroon shirt.  When colegialas made fun of her for wearing a uniform, it was because she did have one.

Narda worked. And she worked a lot. Tutoring. Essay-writing.  And waitressing at the posh burger joint, Ziggy's Diner.

She wore her metal name plate and she plastered a smile on her face. She was clad in a diner hat and skates.

She looked at her wallet, wads of cash were stacked inside. Racket after racket. Tips from customers who knew her story.

"Konti nalang. Isa pa tonight - mababayaran ko utang ni Nanay," she computed in her head.

Breathe, Narda, breathe.

Narda was a hustler, she could not afford to even breathe easily.  Her scholarship could only cover for her tuition and books.  Other things had to be taken care of and she only had to fend for herself.

Dakilang panganay.

"Hindi ko pa na-schedule breakdown ko," she grimaced.

"NARDA! May order yung number 9— kunin mo order — Ayusin mo, si Sir Joseph nandito," her burly boss yelled out.

"Opo– eto na po, sir," she sighed, adjusting the toe stops on her roller skates.

She breezed through confidently as the jukebox tunes played in the fancy 1950s themed place.

"Hello! Welcome to Ziggy's! Would you be interested in our new rootbeer float with raspberry syrup? Masarap po yun, Ma'am!" She said in a saccharine tone.

This was going to be a long night.

Pera. Pera. Pera.

—----

"Bad Reputation" by Joan Jett was playing loudly in the garage. Regina sat on the hood of her old Dodge as she went live on Twitter Space as her alter ego, "Valentina" - a notorious alias that typically criticized corrupt politicians and their cronies.  She had 66K followers and was still growing. No one knew she was behind it.

At least, publicly.

Salamat, VPN.

Her closest mutual followers knew who she was, and hero-worshiped Regina for fighting for the cause.

There were 150 people in her Twitter spaces as she ranted about Ziggy's Diner - the owner, Joseph Fields had been funding the campaign of numerous corrupt politicians and was seen partying in Hong Kong, using "pera ng bayan."

"A foreigner taking over our land? Expanding his businesses here and look at that, partying kasama mga magnanakaw?!"

"Tama yan! Tama ka diyan, Valentina!"

"So— sa mga nasa group direct messages ko, we now go to Plan B tonight," she said while she billowed smoke out of her menthol vape, her plump lips sprawled in wicked glee.

"Sigurado ka diyan, Valentina?"

"It's GO TIME," she bit her lip while she spoke. Her deep voice was full of behesting.

She cackled hysterically.

—-----------

Narda was close to getting her best tips tonight, she thought to herself. The reservation book was full. They should be over soon.   The unassuming owner, Joseph Fields greeted her and told her she did a great job that night.  He was a half Filipino with a Southern accent, Narda always thought he was a bit too nice.

But a job was a job.

She tucked fifty peso bills into her apron, just another tip given to her.  She knew how to lure people and her sunny disposition was always a winner.

"Narda - may customer pa, booked tayo pero wala pa table 22 — baka pwede yan, magisa lang ata siya," she overheard her manager say.

"Pwede ba yun? Akala ko fully-booked tayo? Akala ko dapat nga sarado na,e?"

"Sige na— baka no show ang table 22."

"Opo, papunta na po ako sa harap," Narda hastily skated towards the entrance where the security guard was.

The lights were dimming since it was turning later in the night. The juke box was playing old 90s songs and Narda absent-mindedly talked to the customer, her eyes in laser-eye focus on the piece of pad paper. Jamie Rivera's "I've Fallen For You" was playing in the background.

"Puta, bagong bago", she thought to herself.

"Hello, Welcome to Ziggy's — I think I may have room for you po, for one lang po?" she said in her scripted manner.

"Yeah- I should be quick. I know medyo exclusive reservations ninyo pero surely you can have room for one more?"

The deep voice sounded familiar.  Narda looked up cautiously and there she was face to face with those familiar brown eyes.

HER.

Narda's eyes widened at the sight of her.  She felt like her world was a sudden slow blur.

She was not in her usual school get-up, no glops of pallid foundation, no intricate eyeliner, no black lipstick, she was not covered up in mesh, and she was not covered in her usual cloud of hostility.

What is this I'm feelin'

I just can't explain

When you're near,

I'm not the same.

Regina Vanguardia was just in regular clothes, in her straight leg jeans, she was simple.   Her face was innocent, her mouth curved with a cupid's bow pout, and her eyes, piercing chocolate brown.

She was flushed from the cold breeze outside, the leftover rain getting to her.  Her cheeks were tinted pink, and her blonde streaks framed her face.

Fuck. Titig talaga?! Ang tagal mo na siya tinitignan, bakla ka. Narda. Snap. Out. Of. It.

She felt heat on her cheeks, Narda should really snap out of it.

"Uhm–syempre naman Ma'am, pwede naman po. Follow me," Narda stammered nervously, she almost fell from her neon pink skates in her nervousness. 

Why are you nervous, bading?

Regina obviously does not even know Narda existed.  There was no sense of familiarity in her eyes.

"Would you be interested in our rootbeer float?" Narda said in a high-pitched voice.

"Si Mr. Fields ba yung nasa meeting room doon sa likod? Yung owner," Regina randomly asked, pointing at one of the reserved rooms.

"Ah– opo? Bakit po?"

"I am a big fan of the thousands of pesos na burgers dito,e. Ginto ba?"

Narda looked puzzled, cocking her head in confusion.

Regina did not bother with the menu, she was looking self-conscious as her eyes kept darting everywhere.   She was busy with her phone, texting rapidly in it.

"Ah— sige, the float.  Kesa naman thousands of pesos na burger," Regina said dryly, barely looking at Narda.

Ah, there is the old shrew Narda knew about.

Ayan na naman siya.  Maldita.

Narda nodded and enveloped the menu under her arm.  She skated towards the kitchen, trying to finish her night.

The song kept playing in her head now.

—----------

"Go na. Pasok na kayo. I got the waitress distracted. Alam ko si Mr. Fields nasa reserved room sa likod, papasok na tayo," Regina whispered into her burner-phone.

Regina looked around and hastily left her table.   She brought her backpack with her, and in it was a skull mask.  She immediately wore it in the dark area near the kitchen, away from the CCTVs.

She puffed out. She started counting in her head.

5... 4...3...2 ... 1....

And she heard it, the slam on the door.

"Magnanakaw! Crony! Crony! Tangina mo, Joseph Fields! BOYCOTT!"

—---

Narda was startled when she saw the chaos in the diner as a bunch of young people in skull masks entered the scene.  They all wore skull hoodies. 

They had signs picketing against the restaurant.  The security guard started hiding under the desk, cowering in fear. The customers all started to panic.

"Pa–paano nakapasok mga yan?! Nasan na customer ko?!" Narda tried to balance the rootbeer float on her hand, trying to skate through the commotion.

The crowd of skull hoodies entered the reserved room and one young woman led the way.  She had a sack of flour with her and she poured the white powder all over the owner of the restaurant.

"ANY LAST WORDS, BASTARD?!" she said while she recorded it on an old phone.

It was pandemonium that lasted less than ten minutes. The irony of a sweet Jamine Rivera song playing all amidst the mayhem.

They youngsters all started running, the last girl started pushing through, her heavy combat boots thudding.

Narda had to chase at least one of them.

She saw the girl — she had flour all over her clothes and her hands.

With the superhero speed of her skates, Narda glided through and slid up to the front steps, trying to stop the last young woman.  

Her wheels screeching on the gleaming wooden floor, her calloused hand reaching out to grab the skull mask.

"HULI KA! GAGO!"

And in a flash, she touched the fabric and she almost saw her peek through. Her cupid's bow mouth. Her button nose. Her distinct brown eyes.

REGINA. VANGUARDIA.

She was taken aback, her breath stuck in her throat — but Regina was quick, the strong woman pushed her.

And with that Regina bolted.  Escaped out of the diner, leaving the madness she had caused.

The song was still playing.

Narda found herself with her ass on the floor.  Trying to recover from the fall.  She was also covered in flour. She looked around the disaster.  The spilled soda, the fries everywhere, the sticky wet floor, and the customers all screaming in anger.

—--------

She was trying to clean herself in the kitchen as she looked at the wound on her face, she nicked herself falling.

She sighed putting a band-aid over it.  Her legs felt like jello, the day had worn her out.

"YOU'RE FIRED," Joseph yelled out, pointing at Narda.   He was covered in white flour, fuming mad.

"A—ano po ginawa ko?! Bakit ako?!" Narda was still trying to find her balance, still trying to get out of the whiplash she just experienced.

"Narda, ikaw raw nagpapasok ng last customer na hindi naman daw dapat," she overheard someone say.

"Sinabi ninyo saakin— kunin ko yung customer?!" she yelled out defensively, her voice almost bursting.

"Last pay mo na mamaya. Umalis ka nalang," her manager said. Avoiding eye contact, knowing fully well, it was his fault.

"I can identify the customer po! It was Regina Vanguardia! Yung anak ni Rex Vanguardia!"

She was met with laughter. She knew it would fall on deaf ears.

No one was accountable. No one wanted to take responsibility.

It was the disposable ones like her who fell on the sword.

Tangina, ang malas mo, Narda.

—-----------

Luna was bored out of her mind as she exchanged a few text messages with Carson. She was in her pink bunny pajamas as she sprawled on her sunflower-themed king-size bed.

Carson had been taking hours to respond to her. But he texted her a proposal she did not know how to react to.

"Am I really going to do this to my sister?" Luna plopped on her bed, her eyes darting to the ceiling, lost in deep thought.

—-------

Regina changed into her chemise, she jumped on her king bed, watching the chaos she caused on her Twitter feed. 

The video of the skulled youth was all over the news.  Not a trace that she was involved.

Mission accomplished: Her group of hackers even wiped out the CCTV.

She smiled from ear to ear as she watched the pandemonium, she threw her head back laughing.  Satisfied.  

She picked her bass in boredom, enjoying this all too much.

She turned on her television, flipping channels until it landed on the old classic "Got 2 Believe".

It was a scene of Rico Yan staring at Claudine, a time when he realized that he had fallen for her.

"Frankly, I'm baffled as to why we still revere this film. The guy's role was a misogynist. She was OA," she whispered to herself.

But then she found herself comfortably watching, her eyes studying the TV screen.

The familiar song played.

"I've fallen for you..."

She picked her bass, playing with the tune.

"Nakilala kaya ako nung waitress?" She thought to herself.

Nah.

—-------

There was a slight drizzle outside as Narda kept cursing under her breath, the University Unit was where the low-grade students ended up in.

Ones who could not afford nice condos or live in mansions, ended up in the crowded and suffocating dorms.

"So sinasabi mo— lider nila si Regina? Tangina talaga si FemiNazi. Part time tibak din pala," Ding had an excitable tone, gulping the Emperador Brandy that he shared with Narda.

He wanted to treat his best friend for a drink but he knew it was not doing much.  He felt bad for Narda, who just got fired from one of the prized jobs she needed. 

Narda sat there slamming her fist on her palm, a band-aid on her cheek still stung from her little wound.

She looked at her mobile bank account and she had to curse again.   She wanted to cry right there, she felt the heat in her throat.

"Ano nangyari sa palabas niya? Wala. Pero her privileged ass won't recognize that. Tangina, I HATE THIS," she muttered, bitterly gulping the shot of the heated brandy.

"Narda, sorry, baka may racket ka naman — gawa ka pa siguro essays? Pero kasi bakit mo naman inaako lahat. May trabaho naman Nanay mo," Ding whispered in frustration.

"Ding. Hindi mo alam, ok?. Hindi mo maiintindihan. Hindi ko na kailangan iexplain, ok? Pagod na ako magexplain."

Narda sat on her small single bed that had old Care Bears bed sheets.

She was quiet, so Ding distracted himself. He settled on the floor as he started flipping channels. Landing on the old classic "Got 2 Believe"

The familiar song played.

"I've really —really fallen for you..."

It was a trigger for Narda.

"Alam mo, na-decide ko na. Hate na hate ko yang si Vanguardia, Ding. Isa siyang bangugot! She is the worst sa PU," she said, stuffing a pillow on her head, like she wanted to suffocate herself.

"Hindi ba bitter ka lang sa mga babaeng tulad ni Regina kasi she reminds you of Sofia?"

"PWEDE BA? Hindi yan si Sofia! Si Sofia MAGANDA, MABAIT — eto parang BLACK HOLE.  She sucks out all the joy in everything!"

She screamed into the pillow. Ding instantly regretted even suggesting it.

"TANGINAAAAAAAAA!!!!! Stress na stress na ako! Pagod na pagod na katawang lupa ko. Ipasok nalang ulit ako sa pempem ng nanay ko!"

"S-sorry?"

"Patayin mo nga yang TV na yan!"

—---

Meanwhile, it was pitch black. She could not get any sleep.

Luna sat on her bed, still staring at Carson's message on her phone.

—---

Next Chapter: Who will date the shrew?

What will Narda do once she crosses paths again with Regina?

Just who is Sofia in Narda's life?

What happened to Regina?

'Till next time.

—--

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.5M 211K 46
Rogue Saavedra, the arrogant city's young billionaire, becomes stranded on an unknown island. There he meets an illiterate jungle woman, Jane, who is...
61.5K 4K 44
"Love cannot conquer all no matter how hard you try" Ito ang paniniwala ni Maxine Salvador sa buhay. A versatile actress, singer, and a model na lab...
88.1K 1.4K 75
Apat na taon ng kasal si Shu sa isang lalaking ni minsan ay hindi pa niya nakikita o narinig manlang ang boses. Palibhasa ay hindi naman siya dapat a...
1.7K 90 10
note: this is inspired by the series of "Our story The series" by Oxim films. But in this case ang bida is si Lorraine and iris instead of fifth and...