His Pride & Her Prejudice (in...

By addieAft

Ever wondered what Elizabeth Bennett will be like in today's world, like driving a beat-up Volkswagen, sharin... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Epilogue

Chapter ten

163 9 6
By addieAft

The rumours started to abound that William had left on some urgent business. This piece of information attained by Susan was discussed to their heart's desire over the coffee, yoga sessions and social media by the distraught mamas and their disappointed daughters.

Ella was also astounded at his hasty departure. After what had happened between them, his sudden removal from Jersey City left her out of sorts. Ironically, it felt like he had walked out of her life.

Inquisitiveness and boredom had Ella looking William up on the Internet. She scrutinized the information out there to glean a better understanding of the enigma he was. His online persona was exactly what she had seen in real in life: proud and Mr. Perfectionist. There were some pictures with a few women he had dated in the past. Only one had been a constant presence in life. An heiress, Belinda Castillo, who worked along with her father and brothers in the leather business.

It had been a week since she had found out about Charlotte's treachery, but hadn't heard a word from her friend. She hadn't even call to gush about her first date like most girls would have done with their girlfriends. On principle, both of the continued to play the cat-and-mouse game.

The next day came bringing another bad new, but this time it was for Jane. She had been unable to hang out with Braden, who got swamped with work and then abruptly, he had called her to inform that he had return to Manhattan to deal with a sensitive issue.

Jane had been disappointed but her feelings took a turn for worse when Susan had rung Margaret that there was a possibility that the Netherfield property could be put on the market. The news rocked the Sunset Lane and Castleton Corners.

"Jane, he may have a genuine reason to go back home." Ella handed her a brewed coffee. "Don't give up on him."

"I don't know." She took the mug with shaking hands. "Soon after the party, he seemed different. I asked him what was wrong and he denied anything was amiss. And now, he is gone."

"Is he texting you still?" Ella asked.

"Yes, he is, but I think he has lost interest in me. I mean, he is probably used to much sophisticated women and I am just a pastry chef," Jane said hoarsely.

"If I were you, I will go and visit him myself. Your friend, Tina, has been begging you to visit her there," Ella advised her. "Take ownership."

"You should see what Pippa texted me." Jane sounded close to tears. She picked up her phone and read, "Charlotte, I regret that we couldn't meet up with you before leaving this place. Braden has to get something done. Anyways, I am excited for the remaining summer as Georgiana and I have plans to attend many events and festivals. My brother is fond of her. I won't be surprised if they end up together and we would become be sisters for real."

The nerve, Ella thought. "This what she says, not Braden. He isn't trying to breakup with you."

"Oh, Ella, I never told him how I felt," Jane's voice broke, looking miserable. "If I had talked about our future, maybe he wouldn't have left me."

Ella sat down on her sister's bed. "Don't listen to Pippa. She is a nasty piece of work. She has her heart set on William and is hoping if Georgina and Braden start dating, then by some miracle, she will win over him. It's a foolish hope but it's all she got."

"Why would Pippa do such a thing?" Jane demanded, distraught.

Ella heart ached. She reached over and comforted her. "Don't cry. Give it time. Braden hasn't gone anywhere. I have witnessed how much in love he is with you. Such feelings don't disappear overnight even if his sister has persuaded him somehow."

"I know in my heart that he is the one. I love him, Ella," Jane told her.

She sat up straighter at the news. "Why didn't you ever tell me?"

"I want to know my own feelings before I told anyone else," she said.

Jane had always been closed off about her feelings as a child. Even during Christmases, she would give her toys to Ella if the latter had expressed no small amount of interest in it. It hadn't matter how much she herself wanted it. Hence, Ella had learnt to curb her enthusiasm as she didn't want to enjoy anything Jane's expense.

Ella was convinced that if Braden had been swayed, he would be back. The sheer happiness that sparkled on his face when Jane was nearby was unmissable. No socialite form Manhattan could fill the void Jane left behind in his life.

The night, the dinner at the Bennet's was a subdued affair. No one spoke much, Lydia kept chattering about a pool party with Kitty at Nisha Shah's.

"Sweetheart, when was the last time you called Braden?" Margaret, at last, asked  the dreaded question.

"Two days ago, mom," Jane replied, shifting in her chair.

"I feel very used by him. He promised the stars to my daughter and then he just leaves. Are you sure he has not blocked your number?" Margaret moaned without realizing she was exacerbating Jane's distress.

"She just told you that they talked a couple of days ago," Ella said, shooting her mother a warning look.

Not for subtleties, Margaret griped, "Times have changed. My friends told me that these days people stop all contacts rather than having a decency to break things off in person. After her divorce, Alison tried her hand at dating online and got a harsh reality check."

"That's what you get for being a cougar," Ella cried. "He was twenty years younger than her. Didn't you tell me last week there is no room for love in such relationship."

Ignoring her, Margaret continued in her pitiable state. "And what about Charlotte? I bet you she is gloating her boyfriend owns half of your father's company. She is planning to own the company in its entirety. She is no longer welcome in this house."

Their mother's lament put a stop to Lydia and Kitty's whisperings.

Ella maintained her silence as she was not in a forgiving mood toward her friend. Instead, she asked, "Where is Mary?"

"She has gone bowling with her friends," supplied Lydia. "Can you believe it, she has only two friends?"

"At least those two are talking to her," Ella said with a pointed glance, reminding her brassy sister that most of hers had shunned her.

"Christian was going to leave Maria." Lydia's face fell.

"And has he?"

"Ella, you are being a bitc—"

"Enough," John snapped. He looked as if he had enough. "Can we just have a peaceful dinner where there is no talk of me being ousted by Collins and his new girlfriend? or Braden flight to wherever he came from?"

Lydia sulked while Ella stared at her half-finished food.

"Anyone up for ice cream?" Kitty asked with a cheerful smile as she stood up.

"No." There was a unanimous decline for the offer.

Kitty's stomach chose to grumble at that moment. "Sorry," she murmured and took her place at the table.

The gloominess which hung over the Bennet's did not abate. Later that Saturday, Charlotte texted her that they needed to talk about something important. Already in a bad mood, she agreed as this discussion between the two of them couldn't be put off any longer.

Ella came prepared at their usual haunt. She waited for her friend to get her large Frappuccino with the patience of a saint.

"Wow, you and I haven't seen each other for a while. Must be a record for us," Charlotte said, pushing her glasses across the bridge. A nervous gesture.

"I have been busy with more accounts. After the Netherfield ball, we got a lot of referrals," she explained, stirring her iced latte with her straw. It was her tell.

"I am so proud of you. The whole décor and ambiance were breathtaking. It doesn't surprise that you reaping the rewards for your hard walk." She looked genuinely happy for her.

Ella nodded. Women in love were usually radiant with dreamy vibes, but there was no of that in Charlotte, she looked as if it was just another regular day.

"Um, I am sure you must have heard things, but I wanted to tell you in person," she began, fixing her an awkward look. "David and I are official seeing each other."

"Seeing each other as in boyfriend and girlfriend?" Ella clarified.

"Yes, we are a couple," Charlotte replied, glancing down at the table as if the condemnation in Ella's eyes were too much. "It's going to be a bit of a long distance given as he lives in Staten Island, but we are going to manage that somehow-"

"Are you for real, Char? He's is an idiot," Ella lashed out.

Taken aback at her vehemence, Charlotte said, "He is a nice man once you got know him."

"Charlotte, he isn't for you," Ella reasoned with her. "There are many guys out there who will make you much happier."

"And how do you know that? You never had to struggle to find someone as you are skinny and tall. Do you know many times I have been ghosted online or when I was lucky to even go out on date, I had been told I was not their body type as I am a little fleshy," Charlotte burst out, attracting glances from the nearby tables. Two red dots appeared on cheeks as she vented.

Not backing down, Ella said, "And that's good enough to choose David?"

"You don't get it, do you? No man looks at intelligence or personality if someone is average looking," she replied.

"Do you know he asked me out first and then chose you that very same day when I said no," Ella told her, not backing down.

"So? You said no and he made his choice," Charlotte said stubbornly. "You have no claim on him. He is a free agent to choose anyone after that. We all get rejected in love, but it doesn't mean rejection makes one a damaged goods."

It astounded to Ella that Charlotte was okay with take her best friend's leftover and being the second choice. "I still think you are making a mistake."

"Ella, you have two men chasing you. Many of us can only dream for such attention. And it's not my problem if things didn't work out despite that but, somehow, I ended up with a guy."

"And I didn't," Ella said what her friend hadn't said aloud. Charlotte's word had cut through her. "You know why. It's because I have my pride."

"Try being on the wrong side of being almost thirty and divorced. It's a double whammy." Charlotte stood up, grabbing her drink. "Walk in my shoes and then, maybe you can understand me better rather than accuse me of taking something from you that was never yours."

With their disastrous meeting culminating with Charlotte's walking away, Ella ruminated by herself a bit more and headed to nearby trail to clear her thoughts. After hours of hiking, she came to one conclusion. Hers and Charlotte's friendship, if sustained, will never be the same like before.

When she sat inside her car, she slammed her hands on the wheel. Everything that had happened starting with meeting Wickham snowballed and got the best of her. She swiped away the angry tears. It was all too much to bear: Wickham's backtracking, the confrontation with David and Charlotte's sneakiness.

She felt uprooted. Then, she recalled the kiss, it erased all her misgivings. Without much thought, Ella pulled out her phone and her fingers flew over it. She typed a text for William Darcy

You said you will show me the world. Do you remember?

With her heart in her throat, she pressed sent and wait with abated breath.

The text never came but her phone became alive. It was him calling her.

She almost dropped the phone but took the call before it hit her voicemail. "Hi," her voice came out muffled.

"Ella, what's wrong?" He sounded groggy as if he had been sleeping. It was a bit strange as it was six in the evening.

His familiar voice gave her comfort that she craved.

"Did you really mean it?" Ella asked rather than answering him. "Can you show me the world if there is no one else?"

"I can," he said after a silence.

"Prove it," she issued a challenge. The way she saw it, the onus was on him. This was a way to escape the drama that was unfolding at home. She felt suffocated and need a escape.

"Take a flight to London tomorrow and I will meet you at the Heathrow."

He is in London! Ella floundered at the thought of trekking across the Atlantic Ocean at such a short notice. She was up to the neck with her deadlines and how would she break the news to her family.

"Come on over, Ella. I will be waiting for you."

His invitation sealed the deal. 

Author's note: Things are about to heat up!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

262K 6.6K 49
"Elizabeth, we have more stores to get to, so if you please.'" Came Mr. Knight's impatient voice from the other side of the door. I still wasn't used...
1.4M 49.5K 31
Ella never expected to steal the spotlight when she joined her famous brother's band on tour - or for Max, her childhood crush, to finally see her as...
50.6K 2.1K 35
A modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice. After graduating high school, Lizzie Bennet is looking forward to doing nothing but reading book after boo...
552K 29.1K 74
Emily Willows longs for passion, but only with the man of her dreams: the brilliant and dashing Edward Jones. If only her oblivious, dreaming neighbo...