Fated Encounter Prequel: A Th...

By Otaku_AriaSnow

"Cruel, and cold are the winds of time. Ishtar, will you ever return to me? Hear my voice sway with the breez... More

Prologue: The Day The Wind Wept
Thousand Winds of Time
Face My Odyssey
The Red Thread Tightens
Jörmungandr, Cradle The World
The Voice of Fate
Inanna The Gypsy
Eternity Is Closest To The Divine
Time Has Brought Your Heart To Me
The Winternights Festival
The Orphic Serpent[Lemon Warning]
Unde Mundus Iudicetur
Nil Inultum Remanebit
Rex Tremendæ Maiestatis
The God Shattering Stars
Móðir And Faðir
Epilogue: May Fated Encounters Find You
A/N: Words From Aria

The Forest of Fólkvangr

188 7 7
By Otaku_AriaSnow

A/N: Ista heals herself via also tending to Yggdrasil. However her songs draw in the young knight that has gotten lost in her woods. Unknown to either of them, an encounter, ordained by fate's red thread begins to be woven as the conditions for the Creator's return draws near.

The ninth is Folkvangr, where Freyja decrees

Who shall have seats in the hall;

The half of the dead each day does she choose,

And half does Othin have.
~Grímnismál Poems

Song Kairos Sings: "The Heritors of Arcadia" from FE Echoes.

....................................................

That song.

That beautiful, otherworldly song.

The deeper he went into the forest the louder and clearer it got on the spring breeze that February afternoon. The moss covered trees soon gave way to the biggest meadow of inteyvet lilies he had ever seen. At the center was the massive tree that was glowing a gentle rainbow hue. The wisps of souls vanished into the massive trunk causing it to bloom. Almost like this was the Urðarbrunnr itself from his childhood stories. But that couldn't be real...could it?

Yet...the evidence was here before his eyes as he felt this place was very rich in elemental particles of all the elements. Including that of an unknown element that was otherworldly to him. He had heard stories of the nations of the archon worshipers gaining these strange trinkets that let them use the elements. Peh! What nonsense that was to him, bending to the whims of something not human. But Dainslief could only marvel at the splendor as he followed the ethereal melody, taking notice the centers of the flowers were glowing in first seven colors then a brilliant gold.

What had startled him was the trail of blood and tracks in the earth. Some of the blood stained the petals petrifying them. With a single touch they turned to dust, almost like the flower had been taken outside of Khaenri'ah borders. While on the earth the footprints were not large, belonging to a woman petite in stature. However they were unsteady and being dragged every few steps. "Is somebody injured?"he thought in dismay. There have been a lot of strange happenings lately. A lot of them he now knew were coming from here, this forest that shouldn't be here. Then a thought occurred as he picked up the pace searching for the owner of the footprints: This was no ordinary place. Was this the fabled Forest of Fólkvangr!?

"No it can't be...it's just an old wives' tale..."he whispered. If this was indeed that fabled meadow and this tree was Yggdrasil, the Tree of Life and Souls. Then...he had wondered right into—Dainslief could only stare in disbelief at what he saw. Standing, softly silloutted by the setting sun within the sea of Inteyvet lilies was a maiden, angelic and fair. Like a valkyrie had fallen from Asgard to the mortal plains. The wind caressed making long pale pink, gold glowing hair dance softly past six beautiful gold fairy-like wings. Eflin ears, not large but enough to poke out her long flowing bangs. Small doves cooed as they came to perch on her shoulder and hand. Her clothes had hues of white, gold, blues, and nebula-like patterns in the back of her silver cloak. Gentle side braids with inteyvet lilies and cicilias gracings her braided hair. Parts of her armor, silver in hue, gave off a soft glow. Eyes of brilliant gold glowing bright as she sang.

"...Freyja...."he found himself whispering in disbelief.

His voice caught the woman's attention as her melody stopped. Vanishing from sight only to see the fair maiden glaring down at him from a low branch of the tree, her legs crossed. One hand holding a scythe with an hourglass charm of crystal sand. "How did you get here? This is the Meadow of Eden, where all life starts and returns to when their time ends, Child of the Ash Tree."she swiftly interrogated.

"The Meadow of Eden, wait then this really is–!?"he gaped hurrying to the base of the tree to look up at her. The being having an unamused look as she sighed resting her chin on the palm of her hand. With only a glance her eyes of gold were turning a soft teal as the moon was beginning to rise. All it took was a glance and she knew who he was.

"Dainslief, age 23 born into a humble commoner's household. Join the serpent knights with his childhood friend at age 16. Has no elemental control to speak of and a great disdain for...oh my."the woman had a grin of mischief sly as a fox. "It's rare I meet an atheist here in Teyvet. Especially in this dark age, sir knight captain. But that begs the question, how did you get into my family's garden?"

"Your garden? And how in nine realms do you have all my personal information!?"he pressed sharply. He felt a bit uneasy...This woman knew things about him not even his knights did. Was she a spy? A crazy person? He did not know.

"No I'm not a spy nor am I a stalker. It's just my job to ensure every story of humanity, creature, and deity is recorded before I send it off to Irminsul. It is also my job to make sure the worlds don't go exploding on you before their time is up."hummed the woman. Casually she just watched him with interest and growing intrigue. This was a human that wanted to weave his story how he wanted, that was rare to find. It was humans like him that always interested her the most even as a very young goddess.

"You record lives?"he questioned trying to process the information. His eyes grew wide as he connected the dots. He had heard tales but like everything else he had shrugged it off as rubbish. "You're...You're one of the Old Ones aren't you? But the old books say the shades all vanished and fell silent."

With a playful grin she hopped off the branch to float down as she let her scythe vanish. Stopping to hover just in front of him. "Time it eves and flows like the tide, free as the wind. Everything began with me and everything shall end with me for I am the moment and the memory. Ehe~!"she hummed with an amused giggle. Her words made his eyes grow wide as he watched the petite goddess set her feet down softly onto the massive tree root. "I go by many names, Sir Dainslief. But call me...Ishtar."

"Ishtar...it sounds Sumerian."pointed out Dainslief as Ishtar motioned him over to join her and take a seat beside her.

"Because Sumeru is where my father had me. I was born a triplet with my brother and sister. I also had a younger sister not long after we were born."she sighed in remorse as she looked away.

Dainslief was surprised; here before him was a goddess, an ancient one at that. However despite his beliefs he...couldn't bring himself to hate her. It had surprised him further still to see the anger and pain in her face as tears began to flow in silence. "So....she's all alone like I was..."he thought with empathy. Slowly he reached over to wipe away her tears which had startled her greatly despite her abilities over time. Ishtar hadn't realized it as she reached up and grabbed his cape as he tried to leave. "Ishtar, is something the matter?"

"I-I wouldn't..."her voice was barely audible.

"Speak up, I can't hear you."he pressed.

"C-Can you stay awhile longer? I wouldn't mind the company. I promise I'll help you out of Eden and time won't be affected."she whispered. Oh good gracious this felt embarrassing, but it had been so long since she'd felt a kind and warm touch like that with no ulterior motives. But she wanted to know the man behind the story she had glimpsed. Judging by the bewilderment he was just as baffled. However a sincere smile was what he offered as he sat down beside her without a word. A look of joy and a smile that could shatter the stars leaving him spellbound and enchanted as she pulled out a lyre. Content to just sit and listen to her sing as she played.

As promised she showed him the way out of the forest, that if he so desired he could find her again here within this forest. Gifting him a lone pale blue dove feather. Dainslief had been startled to discover barely any time had passed as he found Halfdan shouting and galloping towards him, "Captain! Captain!!"

"No need to shout Halfdan."he countered, accepting the reins of his mare.

"Are you alright? That was quite the updraft we hit."pressed Halfdan in worry.

"My, my you really should be more careful boys."came the teasing hum. The young pale haired elf robed in red joining them. "The ley lines are very active and unstable here. Do be more careful."

"I'm unharmed and your words are duly noted Miss Alice."huffed Dainslief hopping onto his pegasus. "Also when did you get here?"

"I was doing some investigating of my own, you know how I love a good adventure. When suddenly I saw Hally-boy here screaming like a little girl as he fell off his mount. You're welcome by the way."chuckled Alice. Interest caught her eye though as she spotted the feather fastened to the knight captain's sword hilt as Halfdan laughed in embarrassment as the boys began to playfully rough house each other. As she watched them leave she had caught the blonde glance back behind him. Alice however grinned with interest pulling out her journal taking notes.

"So the elixir that Rhine craves so much is near...hmm...out of respect though for you Istaroth, I won't tell."she hummed, fastening her journal close as she faced what looked like empty fields. Well it would have looked like empty fields to anybody else but not to her; she did not belong to this realm. "So Khaenri'ah isn't as godless as they like to believe...how amusing. I wonder, what kind of odyssey does time have in store for you Khaenri'ah?"

To Be Continued....

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

459 64 31
a collection of oneshots detailing the life of the Gods before the War of the Gods and before the modern era where the main story will take place. no...
81.9K 1.9K 70
"Oh Viatrix, how brilliant and radiant you shine, a holy light in the dark so sublime. But what can I do, when the shadows want to consume you, oh go...
1.6K 52 13
Cover art by: 💙Moonlight🌻Winter💜 @MoonlightDXXIX on Twitter/X! PS: Thank you so much for allowing me to use your artwork for my Cylou Fanfic's Cov...
6.8K 266 10
The flames burn The ground shakes The rain pours ~~~~~ The pain of an eternity is that of suffering and anguish. Those feelings are evermore burdened...