The Numbered

By bnlfan

Imagine the second you're born, a consultant removes you from your mother's grasp and runs a battery of genet... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter fifty-one
Chapter Fifty-two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six : TUCKER
Chapter Sixty-Seven : HANNAH
Chapter Sixty- Eight: DIANA
Chapter Sixty-Nine: SCOTT
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Epilogue
Acknowledgements
To Splinter A Soul
Update - June 2019

Prologue

667K 10.9K 2.6K
By bnlfan

"You might not be flawed but you'll always be tainted," he spat as he looked at the photograph lying in the palm of his hand. The image showed a girl shopping in the busy market, taken using a long-range lens. How comfortable she appeared surrounded by 'them'- the dirty, the disfigured those with more subtly concealed defects. The latter were more dangerous ones. They could deceive even the most expert eye.

His fingers stroked over her long auburn hair. He couldn't believe the expression on her face - happiness. Her mouth, wide-in-a-smile, wasn't what told him; it was the look in those deep brown eyes. They blazed with a joy of life he'd never seen anywhere before, even here.

As he continued to study the image of the girl, his mind wandered into unwanted territory resulting in an unwelcome physical response. The treacherous reaction of his body broke him out of the trance and he threw the picture on to the floor, stamping on it like a toddler having a tantrum.

He walked to the sink, ran the tap and splashed his face. Not feeling quite clean enough he scrubbed vigorously, till his cheeks stung. As the icy water helped him regain his focus, he concentrated on the reflection in the mirror staring back at him. No longer did he see the perfection of his own image that he once saw. Was his nose now too long, his chin weaker, less defined? The rational part of his brain tried to point out that he hadn't changed, but that she had now set a higher standard. But the better she was, the less he felt he became.

Anger simmered within him as he wondered what to do about the situation he was now presented with. The logical thing was to do nothing, but that didn't have quite the same appeal. No, there were only two options- death or disfigurement. Both had their appeal and either one would diminish her, but one more permanently than the other. Seeing movement in his reflection, he recognised a smile; something he hadn't done for a while. Slowly, his breathing eased and he let go of the tension in his body. He didn't need to decide today. For now, he'd be content with planning and scheming. After tomorrow he'd have both time and opportunity. As he ran his fingers through his shaggy blonde hair, he smiled again. The smile didn't reach his eyes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1M 199K 101
โœ… "We always long for the forbidden things." ๐๐ฒ๐ฌ๐ญ๐จ๐ฉ๐ข๐š๐ง ๐ง๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ฅ โ†ฏ โš”๏ธŽ ส™แดแดแด‹ แดษดแด‡ แด€ษดแด… แด›แดกแด แด„แดแดส™ษชษดแด‡แด… โš”๏ธŽ ...
The Numbered By MJ Gary

Science Fiction

7M 302K 76
Imagine the second you're born, a consultant removes you from your mother's grasp and runs a battery of genetic and physiological tests on you. Thirt...
3.6M 158K 61
[COMPLETED] Lyra is a human living among wolf-shifters. Without being blessed with a beast, she tries her best to fit in the pack. Just when she tho...
194M 4.6M 100
[COMPLETE][EDITING] Ace Hernandez, the Mafia King, known as the Devil. Sofia Diaz, known as an angel. The two are arranged to be married, forced by...