The Dragon Bond: Heirs of Lyra

Oleh wilsonsoftball

Now that King Alan and Queen Ariana's three children are all grown up, it's time for them to make their own a... Lebih Banyak

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Part 2:
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Part 3
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 103
Chapter 102
Chapter 101
Chapter 104
Chapter 105

Chapter 58

84 21 0
Oleh wilsonsoftball

"How long has she been gone?" Ralf felt like a terrible brother. He hadn't even noticed Elysia had been missing for the past three days. Once he had recovered from the journey, his time had been filled with training. David was back and he needed to get his bond with Mukawa stronger. Their abilities were weak and he needed them to be prepared for the war.

Queen Ariana guided her son down the long hallway until they reached Elysia's bedchambers. The door was propped open. Inside was King Alan, staring at the man laying in Elysia's bed. Ralf recognized Shade instantly. He approached the bedside, too baffled to understand what was happening.

Shade's eyes were closed, his body drenched in sweat. He was breathing short, rapid breaths, and his skin was pale.

"What happened to him?" Ralf asked. He had never seen Shade so vulnerable before. Before today he would have confidently said nothing could tear Shade down. He was such a lethal force, deceptively strong.

Ralf finally noticed the King's physician on the other side of the bed, tending to Shade. "He's been poisoned. I'm not sure with what."

"Will he recover?"

The physician considered the question thoughtfully. "I believe so. His body's responses to the poison have been remarkable. I can only assume he's been building up a tolerance to whatever this poison is. Otherwise he would be dead."

"Who would do this?" Ralf asked himself quietly.

King Alan shook his head. "I have no idea. It doesn't make any sense. I cannot think of anyone who would be able to pull something like this over on him. Guardians are attentive, they are smart, and cunning. He was constantly aware of his surroundings and his combat skills are unmatched. I honestly have no idea who would be able to catch him off guard like this."

"Who would kidnap Elysia?" Ralf pondered.

"That's the other mystery," King Alan agreed. "If she has been taken, one would assume it would be for ransom. By now there would have been a letter, threatening to harm her if demands weren't met. Only, I have received no such letter."

Ralf remained in the room with his parents, discussing possible motives and plans to find Elysia. They continued to fall short of any ideas.

When they were about to leave for dinner, Shade stirred. He came to slowly, his body still overcoming fever. Queen Ariana rushed out to fetch him some fresh water. When she returned, Shade was already sitting up in bed.

Judging by Shade's face, he was just as confused as everyone around him. "The Princess?" he asked, his voice strained. There was emotion there and Ralf wasn't sure if it was pain, anger, or worry.

"She's gone," Ralf answered, watching Shade's reaction. He didn't seem surprised. 

"What happened?" King Alan asked, his arms crossed. "You were supposed to keep her safe!"

Shade sat up straighter, moving to the edge of the bed. Ralf was shocked he was already moving so fast. 

Shade ignored the King's questioning. He turned to Ralf. "How long has it been?"

Ralf was too stunned to answer. There was so much happening now. King Alan was furious, his questions still unanswered. "Where is my daughter?" he demanded once more.

Shade let out a breath, on the verge of frustration. "That would depend," he answered through gritted teeth.

"Depend on what?"

"On how long it's been."

"You've been out for about three days," Ralf answered helpfully.

Shade put a hand to his head, as if pained by something. Then he stood up, determined. "She's probably halfway there by now."

"Halfway to where?" King Alan blocked Shade from moving any further. When a King wanted answers he typically got them straight away. 

"To Bacciballum," Shade said as if it were obvious.

Ralf groaned. It all made sense now. Of course Elysia was headed there. But wait...that meant she had been the one to poison Shade? Ralf's head was spinning as the truth revealed itself.

King Alan looked Shade dead in the eyes. "You mean to tell me that my daughter is traveling through enemy territory right now? On her own?"

Shade nodded gravely. "And you can either continue asking pointless questions, or you can get out of my way so I can save your daughter before she gets herself killed."

King Alan was too stunned to speak. He did, however, step aside and allow Shade to gather his belongings.

"I'll need some provisions quickly made up from the kitchen," Shade instructed as he collected his gear, "and I'll be needing a ride." 

Queen Ariana left the room once more, Ralf assumed to gather food and water for Shade's journey. His mother wasn't one to waste time. 

"What kind of ride?" King Alan looked as if his body had gone numb. His eyes were distant, troubled. 

"The only thing fast enough to get me close is a dragon," Shade said. "Once I'm to the border, I can find a horse and go from there. Speed is my main concern right now. I have a lot of time to make up for, and a horse can only travel so far each day."

"I can take you," Ralf offered without hesitation. Shade gave him a brief nod of appreciation before returning his attention to packing.

Ralf noticed as the seconds ticked by his father was growing more distant. His eyes seemed to stare at nothing in particular. Though he stood only a few yards in front of Ralf, he seemed miles away. Ralf put a hand on his father's shoulder, hoping to bring him back.

"How could I let this happen?" King Alan whispered. "First Henry, now Elysia. I fear if you go, Ralf something will happen to you too."

"I'll be fine. Once Shade is to the border, I'll come home quickly. It's only a few hours with Mirum, then we'll be back."

When Ralf's mother returned with provisions, she was distraught to hear of Ralf escorting Shade to the border. "Send me," she turned to her husband, "let Ralf stay here where it's safe. Send me instead."

Ralf reached for his mother's hand. "Mom, I'll be fine. Besides, Mirum is way faster than Fuego," he watched his mother resist a smile. "This is good practice for us."

Queen Ariana shook her head, clearly not thrilled with the decision. Eventually, with some soothing from both Ralf and the King, Queen Ariana accepted it. She turned to Shade. He was packing quickly and with confidence. He knew exactly what to bring. "I want our daughter brought back as quickly and as safely as possible, do you understand?" 

Shade paused to look at her. He looked as though the statement were obvious, but softened his tone for the Queen. "Of course, your Highness." He glanced at Ralf. "Ready?"

Ralf nodded. He had already communicated to Mirum the situation. She was waiting for them outside the castle. 

He embraced his parents and ensured them everything would be fine. Then he hurried behind Shade, struggling to keep up with his fast pace. Shade secured their bags to Mirum's saddles and waited for Ralf to choose his position first. Once everything was settled, he cued for Mirum to take off.

Shade kept them flying low, so he could keep an eye out for the path Elysia had taken. Ralf could not comprehend how Shade was able to track Elysia when they were flying so fast--though apparently he was managing well, for every once and a while he would instruct Mirum to adjust her direction. 

A few times Shade asked to be let off, checking the ground for tracks and markings. Then he would quickly climb back on Mirum and they would be off again. 

Eventually they neared the border between Lyra and Niebla. Ralf could see the wall that separated the boundaries. There were a few groups of civilians seeking passage in and out. 

"You can leave me here," Shade said.

Ralf hesitated. He wanted to be of more help. "I could take you further. With Mirum you could reach Elysia much faster."

"Yes," Shade agreed, "but flying into enemy territory with your dragon would be an act of war; something Lyra cannot afford to do just yet."

Despite the logic of Shade's statement, Ralf struggled to accept it. The sooner Shade could find Elysia, the sooner he would be able to relax. Both of his siblings were missing. For once he wanted something to go right. He wanted his family reunited. 

"You know I'm right," Shade's voice was too calm for Ralf's nerves. Was this guardian that confident in his ability to track Elysia? Mirum must have agreed with him, because she slowly descended until they met the ground smoothly. "I'll find a horse and catch up to her within a day or two. I'll draw less attention to myself than your dragon would. You've done what you can, Prince Ralf. Thank you."

The Prince was fairly certain Shade's method of acquiring a horse was not going to be legal. While he hated the idea of turning around and heading back home without his sister, Ralf knew it was the only sensible thing to do. He wished Shade good luck, then watched as he disappeared into the fog. 

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

23.3K 1.1K 37
"No, this isn't where he's supposed to be. He's supposed to run into Margarite Hastings, he's supposed to ask for her hand. If he doesn't dance with...
2K 152 24
Valdis must navigate the world after her brothers death leaving her bonded to his four friends. She must fight dark forces, a corrupt Kingdom's way o...
2K 163 30
CAN BE READ AS A STANDALONE ● the prequel to Flames of Ember ● The land of Elysia has been ruled by its true rulers for centuries -- by the Elysians...
292K 16.6K 29
Set during the medieval times, dragons have become a rare sight. When the king's dragon lays an egg, King Nicholas orders the capture of its bond mat...