The Fear of Letting Go (BoyXB...

By Needing_SomeHale

** SEQUEL TO THE FEAR OF FALLING APART** I have never really thought of myself as a bad guy. I mean, don't g... More

Chapter One; Liam Weekes
Chapter Three; Night Swimming
Chapter Four; Practically Part of the Family
Chapter Five; I Take West Clubbing
Chapter Six; Hung- The Fuck- Over
Chapter Seven; Kai Avery
Chapter Eight; Almost Date
Chapter Nine; The Past is Past
Chapter Ten; Open the Door
Chapter Eleven; Date Day (Part One)
Chapter Twelve; Date Day (Part Two)
Chapter Thirteen; The Unperfect End to the Perfect Date
Chapter Fourteen; Lucky
Chapter Fifteen; If We're Going to Do This (Part 1)
Chapter Sixteen; If We're Going to Do This (Part 2)
Chapter Seventeen; Hit Her with the Hose
Chapter Eighteen; Vacation Days
Epilogue: Five Years in the Future

Chapter Two; I Can't Skate

15K 688 603
By Needing_SomeHale

"I have never ever, ever, ever, ever been so bored in my entire life," I groaned dramatically, launching a pillow at Blake, who studied a book in the corner. The pillow smacked against the wall beside his head and he glanced up, shooting me a scowl but otherwise ignored me, flipping the page. I rolled my eyes. "Blake, come on. Let's do something," I waggled my brows. "Wanna fool around?"

He wrinkled his nose in disgust and without looking up from his book responded, "Maybe since you're studying abroad you should actually study. I don't think I've seen you pick up a book since you got here."

"Everybody knows that they don't actually study. Besides, I'm not a nerd like you."

"Then why don't you go out and actually make some friends?" He offered, placing the book on the nightstand and ignoring my insult. A sly smirk spread over his face as he crossed muscular arms. "I know that might be hard for you but don't worry, trying anything for the first time is hard."

I rolled my eyes at him but sat up and leaned on my knees. I swung my legs like a five year old over the bed. "Hey, I have friends. You're my friend."

He quirked a brow at me as if to say, 'Really?' and I simply huffed and crossed my arms. "Fine. Who needs friends anyway? I'm a party all on my own."

"Then quit complaining. You have a room, you know. You could go sulk in there and quit bugging me."

"My room is even more boring," I stated, leaning on my hand as I watched Blake put on a puffy coat and lace up his shoes. He and Kai were going out yet again tonight, leaving me here alone once more. My boredom is slowly killing me. "I mean, yours is too but at least I have some company."

"Not for long. I have to leave soon," Blake stood and started towards the door. I instantly followed after him, switching off the light as I did so. I trailed behind him down the stairs, groaning.

"This house is a prison," I shouted, throwing up my arms. He sucked in a breath, curling his lip up.

"Then leave."

"You're starting to hurt my feelings, Blake. Do you really want me to live out on the streets?"

He sighed, rolling his eyes and ignored me. I felt my heart pang but I took the hint and walked towards the couch. It might as well be my couch with how much time I spend on it. I dragged a hand through my hair, searching around for the remote. I quirked a brow when I heard Blake curse under his breath.

"Look, why don't you come ice skating with us? It'll be fun and you can get out of the house."

I peered over at him lazily.

"And third wheel with you and Kai?" I drawled, finally spying the remote and dully swinging my head to the TV. I snorted. "No, no. I'm fine, thank you."

"West will be there too," He stated, walking towards me. "So will Rose and Caleb."

"So, what I'm hearing is, basically, you're trying to set me up with the background character?"

Blake snorted. "Don't count on it. He's straight."

Well, that didn't stop you, I almost said before biting my tongue and deciding against it. I really don't feel like getting my ass kicked today. Blake spoke again.

"And besides, I'd never subject West to that. Come or don't. It's your choice," He shrugged. "Come have fun and actually make friends or stay home alone again in your own puddle of tears."

I didn't reply to that and I could see that Blake immediately felt bad. I tried not to let it offend me because I knew that Blake didn't mean it. He blew out, raking a hand through his hair.

"Look, just... Come, okay? It'll be fun," He muttered, glancing out the window. "The guys are here but I'll tell them to wait. Go get changed quickly before I change my mind."

I paused, briefly weighing my options before hopping up and headed upstairs. I pulled on jeans and tennis shoes, along with a white scarf and a white stocking cap. I pushed my dark hair out of my eyes and did a quick mirror check before heading downstairs to see Blake and Kai talking lowly. They stopped once they saw me and Kai gave me a strained smile. I didn't even bother returning his fake smile and followed them to the car without saying anything. With Kai behind the wheel and Blake in the passenger seat, I took my seat in the back beside the background character.

Kai started the car and the radio started on full blast, making Blake wince and move to turn it down. I saw Kai smirk and reach over, looping their fingers together, making my stomach lurch, and we took off.

Blake, Kai, and West began to talk and laugh at each other and I couldn't help but feel uncomfortable. Obviously, I'm the odd man out. I have nothing in common with these people. I shifted in my seat, leaning on the window. I drowned them out and started to examine everyone.

Kai wore a dark blue puffy coat and a cap that nearly covered his caramel colored hair. He wore black skinny jeans along with tennis shoes. It looked like him and Blake was matching. Probably planned it. How adorable.

I stole a glance at the background character beside me, the only one dressed with any sense.

He wore a huge, lime green coat and a stocking cap on his head. There was a scarf around his neck and navy blue gloves on his hands. He wore combat boots that his black jeans were tucked into. It was only when my eyes got back up to his face did I realize that he was looking at me too. And speaking. I blinked. "I'm sorry, what?"

West furrowed his brows and scratched the back of his neck. "I, uh... I asked if you had ever been ice skating before."

I shrugged, looking out the window once again. "Oh, yeah. Yeah, I have. Didn't enjoy it much, but I have."

Blake shook his head in the front seat and Kai smirked. West pressed on with his questions.

"Why not?"

"Because even though I have this slender, graceful body, I tend to fall a lot when I'm on ice," I supplied and I saw his lips turn up into a slight smile. I quirked a brow. "What?"

"Nothing. I'm not very good either," He admitted, shrugging. Kai snorted, peering back at us through the rear-view mirror.

"He's lying. He's like the king of ice skating."

West shrugged and turned his smile to me. "Well, I wouldn't call myself the king... Maybe like the God of Ice skating."

I smirked at that as we finally parked and everyone started to jump out of the car. I jammed my hands into my pockets and followed everyone inside. West went and purchased all of our tickets, handing them out before we all walked inside to grab our skates. As I followed everyone inside, trailing slightly behind them and once again feeling more than a little bit left out, I peered around, scoping out the area. It wasn't long before my eyes locked with someone else's and my attention was caught.

His blonde hair fell into his baby blue eyes, freckles lightly dusting his cheeks. He was taller than me with muscles ripping through his coat. He flashed a dimpled smile, causing me to smirk and flash him a wink. Just my type. I started to take a step in his direction but was quickly stopped when someone stepped in front of me. I wrinkled my lip, jumping slightly, and glanced down to see West, holding two pairs of skates and a wide smile.

"Alright, Liam," he started happily, making me quirk my brow at him. "I was thinking that maybe, since you don't know how to skate, if you wanted me to teach you-,"

"I'm gonna stop you right there, short stack," I sighed, rolling my eyes and holding up a hand. "Honestly, I'm really not that interested, so why don't you go pester someone else and get off of my back, okay, mate?"

He blinked in surprise and his face fell. I almost felt bad but I quickly pushed those feelings aside and shoved past him, making a bee line for the blonde. I took the seat beside him, not bothering to look back at the background character who had slumped back to a bench beside the ice rink. I leaned against the bar. "Something caught your eye, slick?"

The blonde glanced over at me, looking me up and down quickly before smirking. Almost as soon as he opened his mouth, I was suddenly jerked away by my collar by an angry looking Kai.

"What the hell did I tell you about being mean to him?" Kai demanded, shoving me up against the table, narrowing his eyes. I winced and rolled my eyes down at him. "He's only trying to be nice to you and yet you-,"

"And I already told you and Blake that I didn't need him to be nice to me," I explained simply. I glanced over at the blonde from the corner of my eye, who stared curiously at Kai and I with an alarmed look in his eyes. I winked at him before turning my attention back to Kai. "As you can see, I'm doing just fine."

Kai grit his teeth and shoved me once more before releasing me and looking back at West, who tied up his skates, my own forgotten pair resting beside him. Kai shook his head.

"Look, I don't understand why he's so insistent on being friends with you either," Kai stated, crossing his arms. I scowled at him but watched as Blake knelt down in front of West, saying something and making him smile. Kai grinned softly at that before turning his attention back to me, a scowl on his face. "But he wants to be. And you insist on being such a douche bag. For some reason, he sees something in you that I guess he thinks is cool. He's a good guy and he doesn't deserve for you to treat him like shit just because you 'don't want him to be nice' to you. Can't you just accept that someone actually wants to be friends with you?"

I didn't say anything and chewed anxiously at my lip. My chest suddenly felt tight. When I didn't say anything, Kai just shook his head and sighed before walking back to join West and Blake, chatting over their shoes. I watched intently as Kai looped his fingers through Blake's and slowly began to tug him towards the ice, motioning West to follow behind them. West's smile faltered and he glanced down at his lap.

"Holy shit, what was his problem?" The blonde whistled beside me. For some reason, that made me crinkle my nose in disgust. His voice was suddenly very annoying. The boy chuckled and shook his head, leaning closer to me. I glanced at him from the corner of my eye as he held out his hand for me to take. "I'm Jules."

I looked down at his hand and curled my lip, rolling my eyes before pushing off of the bar, wanting nothing more than to be far away from him. "Oh, get on somewhere."

The boy, "Jules" eyes widened and he started to call after me, shouting curse word after curse word, that I merely drowned out and sulked over to West.

What a damn shame. He was hot.

I suppose West heard me stomping over to him and he glanced up, his features lighting up instantly when he saw me. I felt my cheeks flush but I excused it as wind burn.

"Hey, Liam," He began, looking back down at his hands. I sighed, rolling my eyes and took my seat beside him. I gently shed my shoes and began to put on my skates. He eyed me, furrowing his brows. I laced up the skates and tied them with a bow, placing my shoes beside me. "What are you doing?"

"I thought you offered to teach me how to skate? Don't be stupid." I muttered, the fear of falling flat on my ass beginning to build inside of me. West's lips twitched into what looked like a smirk. He jerked his head towards the bar.

"What about that guy over there?"

I shrugged and hesitantly stood, holding onto the bench for dear life. West stood with ease, hands reaching out, ready to steady me if and when I needed it. I waved a hand, making sure to keep one firm on the bench.

"H-He wasn't really my type. Kind of a bore, actually. So? Are we gonna do this or what?"

That grin returned to his face once more and he pushed back off of the bench, gliding onto the ice smoothly. He spun around to face me once again, that stupid smile still on his face. He held a hand out to me. I swallowed.

"Come on now, don't be a baby," West insisted, urging me forward with his hand. "Or are you scared?"

I flushed, scowling. "I am not, you prat. I told you before. I fall a lot on the ice."

"Don't worry, if you fall, I'm not gonna laugh," He chuckled teasingly, crossing his arms. "Promise."

"It's not you that I'm worried about," I grumbled, glancing around at everyone around us. I still hadn't stepped foot onto the ice. West seemed to catch what I was looking at and stole a look around himself. He sighed, shaking his head. He slid forward until he was directly in front of me and held out his hand once again.

"Nobody is looking but me," He began reassuringly, his cyan eyes glittering. He gave me a reassuring smile. "So, let's go. You've got nothing to worry about. We'll go slow."

I stared at him but slowly reached out, clasping his hand. He began to slide backwards, pulling me onto the ice with him. The instant that I hit the ice, I felt my feet begin to slip from under me. I struggled to keep my balance, a feeling of panic building up inside of me. West snagged my elbow, holding me upright, with a laugh. "See? This isn't so bad."

I grit my teeth, unable to really keep my cool as I began to slip and slide along the ice. West pulled me farther and farther away from the walls until we were resting in the middle of the rink and he beamed at me.

"Look at that. Even you can keep your mouth shut for more than two minutes," He smirked and I curled my lip at him. I opened my mouth but he cut me off, holding up a hand. "You're going great. Just one foot in front of the other. It's just like walking. Except on ice. Slippery, slippery ice."

I yelped at that, nearly falling flat on my face but West caught me, still laughing and wearing that stupid smile. I gripped his jacket tightly, refusing to let go, even if his hands moved.

"This isn't funny!" I snapped, yanking at his jacket to pull me up. "I-I want to get off. I've had enough for one day. Get me off!"

He shoved me upright and quickly grabbed my forearms to steady me, a gleam in his eyes.

"Relax, Liam. I'm just messing with you. You're a natural."

"Why are you lying to me?" I yelled, stumbling. He laughed, shaking his head, gliding on the ice with ease.

"I'm not!"

"I want to get o-off," I complained, stuttering much more than I cared to admit, holding tightly to his wrist. "I-I can't keep my footing. Let me off now b-before I kick your ass!"

"If you keep yelling at me then I'll just leave you here."

"You wouldn't dare- WAIT! Don't let me go; I'll fall!"

West laughed loudly, holding steadily onto me. How he was managing to keep both himself and me up baffled me but he was doing just fine. I tightened my grip on him, squeezing him so hard that I was surprised I hadn't completely ripped his arm off. I stared at him as he laughed, honestly surprised at the fact that he looked like he was genuinely having a good time. It had been while since someone looked that happy with me. I felt my chest tighten.

West grabbed both of my wrists firmly and began to pull me around again. My arms were locked, my teeth were grit and I'm pretty sure that I looked like a stiff idiot but I was too busy trying to stay alive and upright to care.

While I slipped and slid and had many close calls to falling and busting my ass, I found myself staring at the background character. Being the jock that he is, he was graceful on his feet. He spun and twisted himself on the ice, both mesmerizing me and scaring me when he let go of my hands. He looked like he was genuinely having a good time.

He laughed, smiling, and it was then that I realized that I had never really gotten a good look at him.

I had always just kind of thought that he was nothing really special in comparison to Kai, the background character certainly did have something going on for him. While he wasn't really as muscular as me, he still had quite a bit of muscle. I know from seeing him in tank tops that his biceps and shoulders were broad and big. His silky black hair was smoothed back out of his face, one lock tucked behind his ear. He was definitely due for a haircut, but he pulled the look off well.

His glittering, amused eyes were somewhere between blue and green. They were such a unique color that I had never seen before and they always sparkled with excitement. While my skin was tanned from the sun, his was a pretty porcelain pale, even though what I had heard, he was always outside. He's actually kind of... kind of cute.

I swallowed and shook my head as I tried to shoo away those kinds of thoughts.

Somehow, I found myself lost in him, lost in the skating, and time just flew by. Before I knew it, it was time to leave and I was far more upset about it than I cared to admit. West and I once again sat in the back of Kai's car, pulling into Blake's driveway. Blake grabbed his stuff and began to step out of the car when Kai grabbed his hand and pulled him back. Blake jumped slightly, his cheeks tinting pink as Kai smiled, cupped his face, and dipped down to kiss him, unashamed no matter where or in front of who.

My jaw tightened and I chose to look away, at my hands, at the ground, anything. As long as it wasn't them. My hand tightened on the door handle. Kai pulled away from Blake with a huge grin. He kept his eyes on Blake, even though he spoke to us. "I'm going to walk Blake to the door, alright? West, I'll be back. You can hop in shotgun."

West nodded as Kai hopped out of the car to walk Blake to the door. I sighed, shaking my head to look away from them. I opened up the car door and took a step out but West caught me by the wrist. I glanced back at him to see him flushing nervously.

"I wanted to say thanks for coming today, Liam," He began, sending me a shy smile. I felt my mouth go dry. "If you hadn't come, I would have really been all alone. If you want to ever hang out again just-,"

I felt my heart begin to hammer and I quickly held up a hand to silence him.

"No, no. I'm gonna stop you right there, love," I started, yanking my hand back from him. I stook up straight, clearing my throat. I waved my hand. "I don't know what this little crush you have going on for me is about-,"

"What? What are you talking about? I don't have a crush on-,"

"-but I don't reciprocate it," I finished, ignoring him. "I'm not looking for a relationship. If you wanted to maybe hit-it-and-quit-it then maybe we could work something out but I'm not being tied down to some Yankee who's name I don't even have the tolerance to remember. I had fun today, yes. But that doesn't mean we're going to be all buddy-buddy from now on. We're not going to be hanging out. Understand that, background character?"

His eyes widened in shock before he ground his teeth together and he raised a hand to me, showing me a not so nice finger. I smirked and shrugged, pulling myself out of the car. I slammed the door and ran smack into Kai. He scowled up at me, crossing his arms. I flashed him a sickly sweet smile. "Can I help you, little guy?"

Kai ignored that and rolled his eyes. "West isn't gay, Brit brat. He just wants to be friends, for some unknown reason."

I straightened up, causing Kai to look small but he didn't seem to care and continued to stand tall. I sighed and raked a hand through my dark hair.

"I don't have time for this, darling," I stated with a fake yawn and stretch. "I'm a busy, busy man and-,"

"How the hell does it feel to be all alone?" He challenged, taking a step forward, causing me to back up and run into the car. "You show up here, nothing to your name, invite yourself into the Clary's home, and you lounge around on the couch all day. You don't even have a fucking job. You're too lazy to even go out anymore to have those one night stands that you seem to love so much. Then the minute someone wants to be your friend and maybe give you something good in your life, you want to seal him out."

"I don't know why the hell West would want to be your friend," He continued, narrowing his eyes at me. "Trust me. I don't. But he's trying. The least you could do is call him by his name because I know damn well that you remember it. You can't just keep shutting people out of your life. Would it really be so bad for you to have one friend while you're here-,"

"Look at the great amount of concern you have for me, love," I joked, taking a step forward now. He stepped back onto the sidewalk. I reached down quickly, gripping his chin with one hand before he had the chance to duck away. He attempted to pull away but I held his face firmly. I gave him a sly smirk. "And why do you care so much? Are you hitting on me too, Kai?"

Kai reached up, knocking my hand away from his face and his face twisted into a scowl.

"You make me fucking sick," He spat and I chuckled, giving him a wave before shoving past him and walking into the house. I was this close to slamming the door as I walked inside but I resisted the urge, knowing people were probably asleep. As I turned around, I saw Blake beside the banister and I flushed. His arms were crossed and his stormy eyes were sharp. He shook his head and sighed. I did my best to give him a hesitant smile.

"Oh, hello, babe," I beamed, dropping my jacket on the rack. "Waiting up for me?"

"Why do you do this, Liam?" He said, ignoring me. I raised a brow. "Every time I try to help you and get you out there a little bit, you seem like you have fun, but then later when it gets too deep, you slam the door on the world again. Why do you do this to yourself?"

I groaned. "Blake, can we please just not do this tonight? Please? I already got the speech from Kai. I don't need it from you too. Please."

Gritting his teeth, Blake nodded, turning away from me and starting up the stairs. I raked a hand through my hair and sucked in a breath, looking down to the ground.

"Oh, and one more thing," Blake said from the top of the stairs. I glanced up at him to see him leaning over the banister, a menacing look in those stormy eyes of his. "If you touch my boyfriend again, I'll break your fucking hand."

I felt my mouth go dry but I slowly nodded, looking to the ground, blushing hard as Blake left me alone in the dark.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Scholar By ☆

Teen Fiction

1M 40.3K 30
[COMPLETED] [Warning: Strong language used throughout the book.] He put his hand over my notebook and the other over mine. I glared up at him, his go...
1.2M 25.6K 99
Lia I'm a sucker for romance, especially romance in novels because let's be honest, love like that doesn't exist in reality. Yet, he makes me feel a...
3.4K 106 7
What would you do if your boyfriend broke up with you for someone else? Even worse. She is that girl. Popular, shallow and horribly perfect. The one...
273K 10.8K 21
"I walked over to where Aaron was sitting on the ground, kneeling so that I was face-to-face with him. He was wearing a blank expression on his face...