The Color of Misery

Oleh KarinaNicoleFarris

When Zahra loses her father to a drunk driving accident, she falls into a deep depression, not wanting anythi... Lebih Banyak

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5

Chapter 4

91 6 2
Oleh KarinaNicoleFarris

Zahra

The morning brightness streams through my window, casting an intense light in my eyes, and I pull my black comforter over my head, doing my best to avoid the rays like the plague. After the anxiety attack I had last night completely drained any of the remaining energy I had after my flight, getting out of this bed is the last thing on my mind. Sure, I had taken a short nap after I'd unpacked my things, but it wasn't enough. All I want to do is sleep.

Laying there, I think back to last night. The last thing I remember is Jacob taking me in his arms; I recall the warmth of his skin through his t shirt and shudder, missing the feeling of being wrapped in his pleasant embrace.

It's totally bizarre knowing I'd become so comfortable with a complete stranger. I don't even think I'd talked to him for more than thirty minutes before I fell asleep, and even then it wasn't much. I basically only know his first name, and that his mom passed away when he was young.

I want to know the small things, though: his favorite color, and food; what he likes to do for fun, his pet peeves, and the things he can't live without. I realize now that I just want to get to know Jacob for who he is; I want to see the soft, gooey center hidden beneath his hard exterior.

A light knocking at my door breaks me from my thoughts, and I groan, "I'm dead. Go away."

I hear Sue laugh from the hallway. "Zahra Abigale Mattheson, get your little butt up or I'm going to feed your chocolate chip pancakes to your cousins. Oh, and you have company."

Me? Company?

Wait, did she just say chocolate chip pancakes? "Okay, okay! I'm alive! Keep their greedy paws off my pancakes or I will skin them both while they breathe and wear them as a coat!"

Aunt Sue laughs again, this time louder, and I stumble out of bed towards my closet. I decide staying in is the only option for today, all of the craziness from yesterday having taken a huge toll on me already, and settle for a more comfortable outfit. I search around in my drawers for my Batman sweats, gray, with big yellow letters down the left leg displaying the hero's name, and a matching tank top, black with the Batman symbol displayed proudly on the chest; to complete my look, I put on some fuzzy black slippers, then make my way out of my bedroom and down the stairs.

The sweet aroma of Aunt Sue's pancakes assaults my nose, and I nearly groan in anticipation. Seth and Leah have already eaten at least eight to themselves(each), and are making their way towards the mountain of sweet goodness in the center of the table.

"Save some for Zahra, guys. She needs this more than you do. She doesn't have an Emily." A familiar voice rings out, sending chills down my spine; making butterflies erupt in my stomach.

Jacob is in the kitchen, and I am suddenly feeling massively under dressed.

I contemplate racing back up to my room, and changing into some skinny jeans, but decide against it when Seth makes my presence known. "Hey, Z, can I eat your pancakes?"

Darn you, Seth. "No, you may not. I want breakfast too. Not all of us need massive amounts of food to balance out the steroids we're taking, now do we?"

The only open seat is the one by Jacob, and I take it calmly, slyly watching as he does his best not to laugh at what I'd just said to my cousin. Leah doesn't even attempt to hide her amusement, and clutches her stomach, falling onto the dining room floor howling with laughter, and fighting to catch her breath.

I smile lightly, which immediately shows that my depression isnt going to bother me much today, and lean forward, taking three pancakes from the stack in front of me. That's when I realize I don't remember the last time I've eaten, and take two more before standing to pour myself a glass of chocolate milk to wash down my breakfast.

I hear a slight scuffle in the dining room, and return to see Jacob protectively hovering over my plate. "She needs this food, kid. You try to take it, I'll feed you to the dogs. Got it?"

Horror flits over Seth's features, and he sits down, raising his hands in surrender. I suppress a laugh and retake my seat, pulling my plate back towards me before putting butter on my pancakes and drowning them in syrup.

"How are we on the depressed scale today, kiddo?" Leah asks as I take my first bite, nearly doubling over at the flavors bursting on my tongue.

"I'd say a four, but it's a lazy day, so I kind of just want to stay in and lounge around, you know? It's a four on the depressed scale, but a twelve on the recluse scale." I reply, shoving another piece of pancake in my mouth before taking a drink of my milk.

Jacob looks at me, confusion written in his eyes. "Depressed scale?"

I nod, wiping the syrup from my lips. "Yeah, some days are worse than others, so I created a depressed scale. One meaning I'm totally happy, and nothing in the world can make me feel upset or sad; and ten meaning I should probably be institutionalized for suicidal tendencies or something."

"I'll remember that." Jake states, matter of factly. "So what exactly does four mean?"

"It means that I'm pretty happy, but I know that if something makes me upset, I'll be an automatic eight or nine."

"And how should we go about you being an eight or nine, like, trying to bring you back down and whatnot?"

"Blankets, movies, hot chocolate, and red velvet cake. Cuddles are good too. Always cuddles."

Jacob's smile widens, and he looks down at my plate, instructing me to eat more. I had already finished two pancakes while we were talking about my scales and remedies. The last three were going to be easy to finish.

Aunt Sue wanders in, topping off my chocolate milk before looking down at the breakfast before me. "Three? Are you sure you can eat that many?"

"She wolfed two down already, mom." Leah tells her, making everyone in the room laugh. Apparently it's an inside joke, because I have no idea what's so funny.

"As long as she's eating. According to your mom, you haven't eaten properly in months. Take your fill, sweetie. You need some meat on your bones."

I roll my eyes, turning back to my sugary heaven, taking three more bites before Aunt Sue tells Leah, Seth, and Jacob that some guy named Sam called. She told them that he wanted them to come to work, and that they'd be taking the day shift while the "others" took the night shift.

My heart sinks, and I push away my pancakes, not feeling hungry anymore. I don't want to spend the day alone... I don't want to spend the day away from Jacob.

Leah Immediately notices my change in mood, and her smile falls. "Eight or nine?"

"Nine." I reply, standing and walking slowly to my room

Darkness begins to creep its way through my veins as I ascend the stairs, and I feel tears stinging the back of my eyes. Why am I being so stupid? I can't expect them to completely stop living now that I'm here. I can't expect them to quit their jobs, drop out of school, and spend every minute of every day with me. It such an incredibly selfish thing for me to assume, and it makes me sick knowing I've been so self centered.

Finally reaching my room, I close the door behind me, and crawl back into bed, pulling the covers over my head and allowing the tears to fall, making little wet spots appear on the dark purple sheet beneath me.

There's a knock on my door, and I don't move to answer it, I just pull my blanket closer to my chest, snuggling into it so I can smell the lavender fabric softener Aunt Sue uses.

Jacob

I hear Zahra sniffling as soon as her door shuts, and feel a pang in my heart. I know she's upset because we have to leave, Sue is even leaving to go see Charlie. She wouldn't hesitate to bring her niece with her, but she had overheard the fact my imprint isn't really in the mood to leave the house, so she decided against it.

I'd drop everything if I could, tell Sam that I need to stay with her, but I know I can't. That stupid red headed leech has been crossing the treaty line like it's some kind of game. From our side, to the Cullen's side like mad; we're doubling up on patrols because of her, so I know any sort of plea to stay would be in vain.

Leah kicks me under the table, and I look up at her, just as she jerks her chin towards the stairs, silently telling me to check on her cousin, my imprint.

I don't need to be told twice.

Taking the steps two at a time, I race to her room, only hesitating outside her door for a second before knocking.

I listen closely, hearing nothing but her quiet cries. I can tell she has no intentions of answering the door; but I'm not going to leave her in this state. I'm not going to leave her if she's this upset.

I push the hunk of wood separating me from my imprint, and it swings open, but I catch it before it slams against the wall. My eyes scour the clean room, looking for her familiar beauty, something to tell me that she's okay.

That's when I notice the large lump on the bed, that's shaking with silent sobs.

What can I do to help her?

She's got blankets already, so I can scratch that off the list, and I'd definitely cuddle with her if she'd was comfortable with it, but I think it's much too soon to have physical contact like that, not to mention I have to leave in a few minutes to patrol.

Still, she needs comfort, that's what Leah said last night. She needs something familiar, and comfortable. I keep looking around, unsure of whether or not I should enter.

Her room is clean, and every inch of the walls are covered in posters. There isn't much on the floor, only her boots from last night, and a stuffed wolf.

A stuffed wolf? That's perfect.

Crossing her room in two broad steps, and pick up the little plush animal, trying not to laugh at its resemblance to me in wolf form. It's got russet fur, just like I have, and dark brown eyes.

Cautiously, I sit on her bed, tugging her comforter gently away from your face. "Hey, Zahra, I think you should take this." I say once her gorgeous blue eyes emerge from her dark hiding place, handing her the wolf. She takes it from me, sitting up. I watch as she puts it in her lap, stroking it fur lightly. "What's its name?"

"Kwoli.." She tells me, the Quileute word rolling effortlessly off of her tongue. "My dad got him for me when I was seven. I had pneumonia, and had to stay in the hospital for about a week, and he got Kwoli for me so I wouldn't be alone."

I smile, patting Kwoli on the head. "Well, good. He can keep you company while we're at work, unless, maybe, you want to come to Sam's with us? You can meet his fiancee Emily. She's an amazing cook, and I'm sure she'd love to meet you."

As Zahra pulls some lint from Kwoli's fur, her face screws up, and can tell she's thinking hard about coming with us. She obviously doesn't want to be alone, but she doesn't want to go out at all, either. Emily is a homebody, so I assume it'd be a good deal to make with her. She wouldn't be alone, but she also wouldn't really have to be social.

"Yeah, okay, I'll go. But I'm staying in my Batman pajamas and my slippers." She tells me, putting Kwoli on her pillow before standing up to retrieve a sweater, which is also, surprise, surprise, Batman.

She motions towards the door, and I stand up, walking out and down the stairs, hearing her little feet padding behind me. A feeling of contentment washes over me, knowing that Zahra would be safe with Emily makes me a lot less stressed about being without her. Obviously, she's not completely fragile, having dealt with so much already; but against a bloodsucker like the ones that have come into Forks and the Rez the past few years, I'm definitely not taking any chances.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

59.8K 1.2K 18
After Bella's birthday fiasco Edward leaves, and Anya and Katya are forced to take care of a "depressed" Bella, who starts to get better with Jacob...
341K 7.8K 75
Alyssa Clearwater returns home to La Push after the death of her uncle Harry. Her friendships and relationships with the people who surround her are...
44.5K 1K 23
It all started on a normal day when two sisters, Alexis and Lucia Cortez, went for a run. Lucia saw a strange man watching them and everything change...
272K 5K 11
Ava Grayson never expected to lose her parents so young. Her mother had left with her Father and then he too left her, although not in the same way...