Star Wars: Black & White (Clo...

By Kaitou-Saikyou-Zeta

Far far way in the galaxy... There is a story, of two different individual. A Jedi and a Sith. However, as th... More

Bio of Zen
Bio of Kirina
Negotiation on Rugosa
The Malevolence
Destroying The Malevolence
The Rookies
First Contact
One-Day War under the Snow
Liberation of Ryloth
The Holocron Heist
Children of the Force
Return to Felucia
Back to Geonosis
The Mysterious Master
Guarding the Duchess
ARC Troopers
Sphere of Influence
Hunting for Ziro
Savage Opress
Enemy Among Us
Mortis
Light & Dark
Ghost of Mortis
Death Watch
Recoiling
Accepting

Selecting New Members

101 4 3
By Kaitou-Saikyou-Zeta

"Choice is not something that can be easy to be made."

Continuing their effort! The Clone Wars has got even more intense as the Republic forces have led an invasion on Geonosis. While at their war, Jedi Knight Zen Maruno are called back to the Jedi cruiser and get a call from Kamino, having needed to leave the war sooner than he expected.

(Geonosis)
(Venator)
(Bridge)

At the command room, Admiral Yularen are looking into the hologrom of Geonosis along with Jedi Master Luminara Unduli along with her Padawan, Barriss Offee.

《Barriss Offee》

Barriss: So, Master, when will we went down to Geonosis for our mission?

Luminara: Soon, my apprentice. Be patient.

Barriss: Of course, Master.

When the door opened, Yularen, Luminara and Barriss look there, and sees Zen walk into the room with annoyed face.

Zen: So... What am I here for, Admiral?

Yularen: You've got a call from the Kamino, sir.

Zen: Then you should've done it from before... *turn to Luminara & Barriss* Hello, Master Luminara, Barriss.

Luminara: It is nice to see you again, Maruno.

Barriss: *bow* Pleasure to meet you, Master Maruno.

Zen: Please, Barriss. No need to call me that. It felts weird that I get called as "Master" due my status as a Jedi Knight by older Padawan.

After patched up with the Kaminoans, a hologram of the head nurse of the cloning project, Nala Se, appears.

《Nala Se》

Yularen: Madam, General Maruno is here.

Nala(Comms): Thank you, Admiral. *turn to Zen* Hello, young Master Jedi.

Zen: Ma'am.

Nala(Comms): Forgive me that I have to call you at the time you are needed. But there is something I wish you to attend in Kamino.

Zen: What is it, ma'am?

Nala(Comms): With the increasing success of the Nova Commando thanks to your effort, the military officers have requested your Commando squad to take even more missions.

Zen: More missions? Wait a minute, even if we can go on mission, we need break and time to think. We're not droids, and the clones are living beings too.

Nala(Comms): I understand, Master Jedi. But this is also requested by the Senate. Because of this request, we believe we will try to recruit new members into your team.

Zen: *rub his neck* Hmmm... That doesn't seem to be a good idea. While adding new members are fine, but they are need to be evaluated. By me, and my team. If someone that I choose to join my team, it would be Harper. But he's already commanding my frontal battalion, which I mostly not with compare to my commando squad.

Nala(Comms): Then it is done. You will come to Kamino, so you can give them a test where and you will evaluate them for theur skills.

Zen: Very well, Madam Nala. I'll be on Kamino at once.

Nala nod before the hologram changes back to the hologram of Geonosis.

Zen: *sigh* This is quite bothersome...

Luminara: The task that given to you must be done, Maruno. Even if that is not something that you may not like.

Zen: I know, Master Luminara. Good luck in your mission with Master Skywalker and Ahsoka on Geonosis. You too, Barriss.

Barriss: Of course, Master Maruno.

Luminara: Good luck with your current mission, Maruno.

Zen: Yes, Master Luminara. I'll be on my way now.

He bow to Admiral Yularen as well before he turn around and get out of the bridge.

(Hangar)

After leaving the bridge, Zen head directly to the hangar and have his starfighter ready. And his blue colored astromech with similar design with R2 is near the ship, R9-N9, which Zen give the nickname "Renin" to it.

Zen: Renin!

He rush to his droid and bend down to it, and patting its head.

Zen: I can't believe that you're here. How did you even get to this ship?

Renin: *beeping*

Zen: Oh... So you sneak in just so you can follow me, huh? Heh, that just same as me.

Renin: *beeping*

Zen: Come on, get on the fighter. We'll be heading for Kamino.

Renin: *beeping*

The clones bring Renin up with the crane and placed it into the Headhunter. Zen climb on the fighter and sat on the cockpit.

"You're good to go, boss!"

Zen give a thumb-up as the clones give him a signal to launch. When the hatch closed, the Headhunter activate before it take flight and fly out from the cruiser, and head out off the planet before jumping hyperspace which head for Kamino.

At the Planet of Kamino...

After get out from the hyperspace, the Headhunter arrives at the planet. The planet shines in blue with some clouds can be seen from the space.

Zen: And here we are.

Renin: *beeping*

Zen: Yeah, yeah, I know, Renin.

The Headhunter get scanned by the Republic ships, before get authorized by the inspection before continue to head down into the planet.

At the City of Tipoca...

Arriving at the city of the clones, Zen landed on the platform. He turn off his fighter before getting of his ship and meet with two familiar person.

《Lama Su》

《Jedi Master Shaak Ti》

Zen: *bow* Sir, ma'am.

Lama: Welcome to Kamino, Master Maruno. I never expect a visit from such young Jedi Knight before.

Zen: Well, I am the one and only so far.

Shaak: Maruno, I believe you already know the reason why you're here, right?

Zen: Yes, Master Ti. I'm here to evaluate the clones that will be joining my Nova Commando squad. But this is a hard one.

Shaak: Maruno, how about you go around to look around the clones that might took your interest?

Zen: Of course, Master Ti.

He walk away and walk through the hangar before he walk through the hallway in order to check the facility. As he walk around, he view so many clones all around. The chamber, heading for training, and even during when they're still in child state.

Zen: Heh. Been a while since I came here.

As he walk around, he saw a familiar old clone who carry a box of helmet.

《99》

Zen: Hey, 99!

99: *stop walking & turn to Zen* Oh, Zen. It's nice to see you again.

Zen: Yeah, me too.

99: I heard that you were promoted to become a Jedi Knight. Congratulations.

Zen: Not promoted actually, but in term of Jedi, knighted.

99: What bring you here all the way to Kamino?

Zen: Because Madam Nala called me. She said the Senate asked new clones to add to my team.

99: Oh... I see.

Zen: How you been doing, 99?

99: I'm fine, don't worry about me.

Zen: I always worry about my brother-in-arms, including you, 99.

He put his hand on 99's shoulder.

Zen: Now get back to work, soldier. Not all heroes or good men wear armor to fight. We all fight the way we can.

99: Yeah, good luck in your team selection, Zen.

Zen: Good luck in your work, too, 99.

He walk ahead, as 99 also heading the other way. As Zen continue his way through the hallway, he saw the other clones who are currently on their way to training. When he reached the training room, Zen saw many troopers along with the two bounty hunters that Zen met when he was here.

《Bric》

《El-Les》

Zen: Never expect you two are still here even after your students' graduation.

The bounty hunters, Bric and El-Les, contracted with the Grand Army of the Republic to train their clone troopers.

Bric: Heh. And why would some kid like you ended up at here?

Zen: Because there's some evaluation I need to do for my team.

El-Les: I see. Mind if we help?

Bric: Why do we have to help him, El-Les? He's a Jedi. He know how to pick his toys.

Zen: Watch it, Bric. I maybe young, but I'm no fool. Now, which are these troopers will be part of my team?

They turn to the troopers as they continue their target practice.

(Time Skip)

After watching the target practice, they watch as the troopers are performing the Citadel training route, same as the ARC trooper training. Zen watch the training with Bric and El-Les, but he don't seem to be interested with the team. Team after team, Zen barely show any interest in the team that seems to be part of his team. The trio walk through the hallway after the training session.

El-Les: So, what do you think of those troopers?

Zen: Not quite the one I'm looking for. Their teamwork is fine, their timing and skills are good as well, but... something seems to be missing.

Bric: Tell me about it. All of them just look the same to me.

Zen: Not helping, Bric.

El-Les: We have other troops to train, Maruno. We'll take our leave now.

Zen: Go on.

Bric and El-Les walk the other way. Zen is still thinking while he walking arouns the area. He went outside and stand on the platform, looking at the rain that pouring down heavily across the planet like is always been. Zen think of what the troopers he saw before, thinking what they are lacking off.

Zen: *sigh* ...None of these troopers are in for my criteria.

???: General Maruno!

He turn around saw a clone trooper that clearly came from the Wolf Pack, the battalion led by Plo Koon. Even with his helmet on, Zen recognize who the clone is.

Zen: Jed!

Jed: Nice to see you again, sir.

Zen: Me too. How's with the Wolf Pack?

Jed: More tougher than I expect, sir. I can't even imagine part in that battalion just as a medic.

Zen: Medic are crucial for army. If one men is down, then a medic could come to the rescue and ensure the soldier to return healed and safely back to the troops.

Jed: Of course, sir.

Zen: What are you doing back here?

Jed: I'm taking the test.

Zen: The test to join my commando squad? Even you want to be part of it?

Jed: Yes, sir.

Zen: And what makes you want to be with my team?

Jed: Solely, because of you, boss.

Zen: Me?

Jed: Yes. Many of the clones who worked under or with you always said that you always look after your men, never letting any of them do something that will cost their life. And you even view the clones are real people, not simple objects.

Zen: Because that's who you are, Jed. You clones are real people. Come on, Jed, let's get something to eat. I'm starving.

Jed: You got it, boss.

They head for the cafeteria, need something to eat.

(Next Day)
(Morning)
(Hangar)

At the hangar, Zen along with Shaak Ti, Lama and Nala, are facing several clones including Jed who will be taking the test in order to join the Nova Commando team.

Zen: All right, men. You heard that the military officers intend me to choose some of you into my Nova Commando squad. Despite my protest, it is the Senate who decided this. So I just have to follow it. Remember, I don't want to see failures here. All I want to see are a group of soldiers who are also good men! Now, ready for your test. Get your gears ready. The test will be using the Citadel battlefield, but I warn you, the battlefield is an unpredictable place. Anything can happen, so you better beware!

He turn away and head to the observation area along with Shaak Ti, Nala and Lama.

"Heh. Why we supposed to be led by that kid?"

"He look too young to be a Jedi Knight."

"I heard that he uses his connection to get raised."

Jed: Hey, talking down about him like that is not good!

"Jed, what did you even see in that kid?"

Jed: You want to know what I saw? Then you better act fine in this test. I'm not failing in joining his team.

They all gear up in their trooper armor and grab their guns, before heading into the test room.

(Test Arena)

There's around twenty of the clone troopers who are chosen to take the test. So each round, there will be five troopers will enter the battlefield and take the exam.

"The test will now commence."

The exam droids and turrets shooting at the clone troopers, as they shooting back while advacing slowly.

(Observation Chamber)

At the upper chamber, Zen, Shaak Ti, Nala and Lama are watching the test. The clones are moving carefully and coordinately, working as a team as they made their approach when they facing the test droids.

Nala: It seems the clones are moving finely.

Lama: But the clones at the right seems to be more appropriate choice.

Shaak Ti: What do you think, Maruno?

Zen: Hmm... Something isn't getting into the way I wanted.

(Test Arena)

They keep moving forward to beat the test droids.

"Go, go, go!"

"Take that thing down!"

"Fire, fire!"

"Don't fall behind!"

They keep advancing, until one trooper get shot and fell as the gear cause cramp at his leg.

"Argh! My leg!"

Jed: Don't worry, I'm here!

He rush to the trooper and take out a test stimp for the gear, before allowing the trooper the rest.

"What are you doing? This is not a battlefield! We don't need medic!"

"Get back to your position!"

Jed: We need each other in this!

"Stop giving us excuses!"

They keep on the test, until two more troopers are down. Jed tries to help them, but no one is giving him cover.

(Observation Room)

Feeling disappointed of the situation, the test is stopped, confusing the clones.

Zen: Let me talk to them, Master, Miss, Sir. I need to make a stern talk with them.

He sigh and get out from the room, and head for the arena.

Lama: Seems like Master Maruno is wiser than his age could show.

Shaak Ti: Perhaps it is better for having Maruno deal with this matter himself. He personally handpicked most of his men, even in his battalion.

(Test Arena)

The clones talk to each other, wondering how the test is stopped until Zen entered the arena, and they all stand up straight.

Zen: Men, I'd like to ask you something. Why you think the test was stopped?

"Uhh... Because some malfunction... sir?"

Zen: No, because you disappointed me.

Gasps and suprises can be heard among the clones.

Zen: You guys have one simple job, and that is to look out for each other, and you failed.

"But sir, what part did we failed?"

Zen: What was Jed doing back there?

"He's patching a wounded trooper."

Zen: Exactly. And what we're you doing?

"Shooting the droids, sir."

Zen: So where are those who guard the wounded and help Jed get to the other wounded troopers, hmm?

The clones look at each other, feeling unsure themselves.

Zen: That's right, no one cover them. Which why you failed. The goal I wanted you to achieve is to look out for each other, and I want those who work under me know that I want the most minimal casualties as possible.

"But sir, at this time of war--"

Zen: I know, but I won't accept those who just die in vain for no reason. I want my men know the value of life, even their own because you guys are not expendable. I don't want good soldiers, I want good men! You understand?!

"Sir, yes, sir!"

Zen: Get back to your quarters and get some rest. You should be glad I haven't decide this test is over.

He walk away from the arena, as the clones look at each other, feeling concerned and nervous. Zen maybe a teenager, but he is a Jedi Knight for a reason.

(Time Skip)
(Night)
(Hangar)

As the raining pours down heavily, Zen watches the area, trying to find a way to calm his mind. While he is a Jedi Knight, he is conflicted sometimes.

Zen: *in mind* What am I gonna do with these clones? Can I even taught them about how to become a person?

???: Sir.

He turn around and sees two familiar clones from among the candidates for his Commando squad.

Zen: You two are...?

Brek: CT-6789, Rook.

Sypke: CT-1255, Spyke.

Zen: Rook, Spyke, what do I owe you a favor?

Rook: Sir, we'd like to know the error of our test.

Spyke: Yes, sir. That way, we can improve more. If skills that you want, we can become better!

Zen: Skill is not what I wanted.

Rook: Sir?

Zen: What I want is you have the ability to think for yourselves.

Spyke: But sir, that was not our programming.

Zen: Let me ask you this, are you a droid or clone?

Rook: Of course we're clones, sir.

Zen: And are you guys living beings or machine that can only take commands?

Spyke: We're... uhh...

Zen: While you guys are soldiers, I don't want to see good soldiers. What I want to see are good men. Those who can think for themselves, and not only taking orders. There's no use to follow orders if you know they are wrong.

Rook: Sir, that means we can ended up defying you.

Zen: That's right. If you guys know I'm doing something stupid, or anything, just tell me that I was wrong. I don't want to make my men fall for my own mistake. That is why I want to make your own decisions, so you know how to see what is right or wrong.

Rook and Spyke look at each other, not quite understand what Zen means, before they excuse themselves and walk away. 

Zen: Rys, I know you're listening there.

Coming out from behind the transport ship, Rys rub his nape nervously.

Rys: Sorry I eardropping you, boss.

Zen: No, it's fine. But you should now know what I wanted in my squad.

Rys: Yes, sir.

Zen: Good, I want you to tell everyone in the candidates that. If they want to be my soldiers, then they must know what I expect from them.

Rys: Sir, yes, sir.

He salute and walk away, leaving Zen to himself again. While his way seems to be naive, Zen is doing his best to guide his men on his own way.

Three Days Later...

(Test Arena)

The clones are in their test gear, preparing for their final test.

Zen: All right, men. It has been three days since the test. Today is the final day of your test. Do your best to pass it, and you will be welcome my squad. Do you understand?

"Sir, yes, sir!"

Zen: Let's see how you do this now.

(Observation Room)

For day, only Zen and Shaak Ti are overseeing the test.

Shaak Ti: So, who will be picked once this test is done?

Zen: I'll make up my mind once this is over.

(Test Arena)

The clone candidates are facing the test droids, trying to do their best. Unlike the previous tests, the clones are moving even finely and coordinated. While the are competitive with others, they are doing their best to perform a fine teamwork that Zen wish to seem

"Don't fall behind!"

"We'll catch up!"

Then one of the trooper get hit at the arm.

Jed: Man down!

Brek: Go, I'll cover you!

Jed quickly rush toward the fallen trooper, taking him to safety before "patching" him up.

Rys: Guys, don't break formation and move with each other! Don't let anyone fall behind! We'll get through this together!

The other clones nod as they keep moving forward.

Rys: Up there! That's our goal!

They keep shooting until they've taken down all the test droids. They shoot cables up to the tower, and climb up while Jed help the "wounded" troopers. Instead of leaving them, Brek, Spyke and Rys let a cable down the tower which allow them to lift the two soldiers up, before all of them passed the test. As the alarm is sounded, the candidates all

(Observation Room)

Zen: Impressive. Most impressive.

Shaak Ti: This is what you are waiting for, don't you, Maruno?

Zen: Yes, Master Shaak Ti. This is what I wanted to see.

(Time Skip)
(Hangar)

After the final exam, the clones went to the cafeteria to get some lunch. Afterward, they all called to the hangar. All ten clones who've taken the exam are now standing in a group, with Zen facing them.

Zen: I've seen what you all did today, and what can I say. I'm very impressed. You are among the best I've seen since returned to Kamino to look new guys.

The clones felt proud of themselves.

Zen: However, there will only be two clones who will be part of my Nova Commando. Rys, Jed, step forward!

The two clones step forward.

Zen: While not as skilled as they thought you were, both of you will be part of the my Nova Commando starting from this day. Do you understand?

Rys/Jed: *salute* Yes, sir!

Zen: And as for the rest of you. While you did perfectly, I'd like the Nova Commando remain small team. And that is why those who won't be in my commando squad, will be part of my main battalions of the Nova Company.

The clones felt surprises at first, unable to understand why Zen giving them proper chance to serve him but they are glad they were chosen to serve under him.

Zen: Now, listen to me, men. When you serve under me, call me whatever you want. But I prefer you call me boss. Got it?

"Yes, boss!"

Zen: Good. In my battalion and commando squad, I only three absolute rules that I wanted you to follow. One, always listen to my orders! Two, if you got the chance, take it! Three, if you hesitate, listen to your heart! What I want is that all of you always remain with these rules. Do you understand?!

"Yes, boss!"

Zen: Good. You've impressed me much through this. I hope in the battlefield, you all can do the same again. And what I want to see is not good soldiers, but good men.

" *salute* Sir, yes, sir!"

Zen: Very good. Now I want you all to get some rest. Tomorrow is a busy day.

They salute at him once again, before they left, and start to talking with each other about their success. Zen just watch his new troopers from distance as Shaak Ti walk beside him.

Shaak Ti: Seems like they are well motivated from you.

Zen: Just trying to do my best as their leader.

Shaak Ti: And I'd like to see how much you've grown, young Master.

Zen smile and nod at her before he walk away, to join up with his new clone troopers. And yet again, Zen have gain new allies that he can rely on and put his faith on them.

To be continued...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.4K 160 19
This story takes place in the Star Wars universe I do not own Star Wars nor do I own its characters that belongs to Disney
123 82 22
A new era begins in a galaxy far, far away... Long after the events of the Skywalker Saga, new heroes and villains arise from our favorite space-oper...
505 4 14
Almost 4000 years have past since the events of A New Hope and peace has filled this time. However in the far reaches of space , dark forces gather...
1.1K 82 5
Being adopted by the order at a young age, Y/n Valkiln showed much potential in the force and so was made a padawan. Through the years, the council...