Moving On

By milkycloudjay

In which Severus Snape has lost both his parents, and things take a turn in his life, he creates unlikely all... More

Stepping in
A Conversaton With Albus
Shopping With Severus
Back To School
Trouble
Lonely Wolf
Imbeciles
First Occurrence
Attempt
Mission Begins
Goals
Investigating
Explanation
Middle Of The Night
Oh No
Fault
Let Go
Fighting Back
Rest
Avoidance
Three's A Charm?
Reunion
Adoration
Crush?

Testing The Waters

2.8K 103 12
By milkycloudjay

"You did what?" James exclaimed. Looking at his mother.

Smiling, she said, "You heard me correctly James. I asked Minerva to visit today so that we could finally meet Severus. You did mention that he was ill before you lot left for the holidays. I don't see why you're worried."

Annoyed, he grit his teeth, "Well maybe because you didn't tell me about this before you sent the letter. Also, how in the name of Godric did McGonagall agree to that?"

"That was easy really. I told her that you boys were worried about her charge and wanted to meet him."

"And she believed that?"

"Of course she did. She says she fears that Severus would be very lonely these holidays so having people his age for a while could be beneficial for him. Oh I'm so excited! I just wonder what your Severus will be like!"

Face palming, James questioned why he had such a mother, he left the kitchen, ignoring his mother gushing over a guy she had never met. He trudged his way up the stairs and entered his room.

On the floor, Moony and Padfoot were playing Exploding Snaps.

Moony glanced at him as he entered the room,"What happened? We heard screaming."

Groaning, James fell unto his bed, "We're going to McGonagalls house today."

"Oh, well that's not too bad-- wait, what?" Remus threw the cards he held to the floor and rushed up to the bed.

He looked up at James, "Did you just say we're going to McGonagalls house?" He said turning around to look at Padfoot, who joined them on the bed.

James nodded.

"And McGonagall is our professor," he said. Again, James nodded.

"Our professor who's also housing Severus Snape?"

James nodded, chuckling as Padfoot fell off the bed in shock, as if finally realising Moony's dilemma.

Moony threw his head back in despair, Padfoot spewed all the curses under the sun.

After sitting up, his hair disheveled, he asked, while slapping his hands on his face, "So we're going to see Severus this afternoon? Oh Merlin, I don't think I'm ready! Prongs I'm not ready to see him, at all!"

"I know Padfoot, do I look ready to see him to you? I don't even know what I'm going to wear, what I'm going to say or how I should look at him!"

Smirking, Moony said, "What I certainly know I'm going to do is wear the ring he sent me."

James laughed heartily, joined by Padfoot.

"How very cunning of you Moony," Padfoot said.

Shrugging, Moony declared, "Have you seen how good those rings look? Also, it's almost as if he knows that you lot are Animagi, why else would Padfoot get a hound on his ring and Prongs a stag? He already knew that I'm a werewolf, that explains why mine has a moon and a wolf on it."

"Also, I want him to understand how overwhelmed we were by the rings, doesn't he know what he's doing to us? It's only fair that we return the favour."

He added more,"So here's my suggestion. We wear clothes that match with the rings in a laid back manner, so no suits Padfoot. Then we deliberate if the others outfit is good or not, giving suggestions here and there. Sounds good?"

James and Padfoot stared at each other and nodded.

"Nice, now let's get to it! We don't have all day." Moony said, hopping off the bed.

The other two followed.

^_^^_^^_^

"What in the name of Salazar made you think that this was a good idea?" Severus asked, perplexed.

"Oh come now Severus, they were worried about you. I think they should be allowed to see you. Not to mention, you must be bored with only me in the house. You need people your age around," McGonagall replied.

"But-- but, you didn't even ask me if I was okay with this!" Severus seethed.

"Aren't you on good terms with the boys? Did they go back to bullying you?" She said, widening her eyes momentarily.

Gulping, he answered, "No. They've been good to me. I-- nevermind."

Severus' pride would not allow him to tell her that he was embarrassed to meet the boys because he sent them rings as Christmas presents and he was worried that he would make a further fool of himself in front of said boys.

Breathing a sigh of relief, McGonagall smiled, "Then if there's nothing bad going on between you lot then I think this will be good for you. Go get ready after you're done eating. They'll be here at noon."

He nodded, wondering how in the name of Merlin he would survive the day.

^_^^_^^_^

At the bottom of the staircase, Severus tugged at the sleeves of his pale pink sweater. Taking in a deep breath he emerged from his safe spot when McGonagall called out his name. At the entrance stood Mr and Mrs Potter, a beautiful couple, exchanging pleasantries with McGonagall.

"This is Severus," McGonagall said, placing a hand on his back and nudging him forward.

Cringing, he said, "Good afternoon Mr and Mrs Potter."

Mrs Potter smiled, "Hello dear Severus, you look lovely."

She came closer to him, making him breathe in the faint scent of roses that lingered on her, "No wonder those boys didn't tell me about you, you're adorable. They wanted to keep you all to themselves. Selfish people."

Severus felt heat rushing up his neck and ears.

"I assure you Mrs Potter. It's nothing of the sort."

Placing a hand on her chin and squinting her eyes she refuted, "No, I think it's definitely as I said."

He just shook his head helplessly. She chuckled at his response, "Well. I'll give you boys a moment. I heard you were injured before the holiday. Are you feeling better now?"

He nodded.

"Alright then," she said, standing up straight and giving him one last smile. She hooked her arm with her husbands and followed McGonagall, who started walking.

Silence engulfed the area in which he stood, he turned his head in the direction of the door and felt his breath hitch in his throat.

Shrouded by the little sunlight that sometimes shone in winter, three of the Marauders stood at the door, and Merlin were they handsome.

Remus' hair was styled in a side part, he had a dark blue sweater, and a pale blue shirt, Severus only saw the collar of said shirt. Sirius' hair was in a messy bun and he had a maroon sweater above a cream shirt. He had a pendant that was shaped as a dragons eye hanging on his neck. James had a pastel purple shirt on, along with a dark unbuttoned sweater, his hair looked fluffy and less of a mess it usually was. All of them were dressed in trousers that were darker shades of their sweaters.

As his eyes travelled further down he noticed the rings he gifted each of them adorning the middle finger of their right hands. His heart skipped a beat-- no, it skipped three beats.

He tentatively brought his gaze back up and saw that they all had smirks on their faces, implying that they saw his expression just then. Pursing his lips, he looked to the side as he felt the familiar rush of heat up his face.

Remus, as if pitying him, chuckled, he walked towards him and swiftly pulled him into a warm hug.

"Hi Sev. It's good to see that you're awake, we've missed you."

Severus returned the hug with the same enthusiasm, burrowing his head into Remus' shoulder. He missed them too.

After pulling away from the hug, Remus smiled, "By the way. The rings are lovely, thank you."

"Yeah, you could've just told us if you wanted to marry us Sev. I mean I see why but damn, you should give a man a few clues y'know," Sirius said, coming closer with James.

James nodded in agreement, "It's crazy to think that you've fallen victim of our charms. Who would have thought, the great Severus Snape falling for the Marauders. No need to worry though, you have no competition."

Every word they said seemed to make his cheeks hotter, his heart pump faster and the butterflies in his stomach more vigorous.

"I-- I--" Severus stammered, then he turned around and put his hand to his chest, taking a deep breath, "Don't get cocky, they're not engagement rings. I-- I just happened to pick them up at a cheap price, nothing else!"

"Oh," Remus said, "Are they promise rings then?"

Severus choked, "N--no!" He exclaimed, almost sprinting down the hallway in the direction of the dining room. He heard laughter behind him. Those bloody Marauders! They're doing it on purpose! He vaguely heard Sirius tell him to wait up but he shook his head and continued on his path. They will find the way to the room themselves, how dare they tease him!

^_^^_^^_^

Sirius smiled at Severus as he sat on the boys bed, Severus narrowing his eyes at him in turn, "Don't make the bed messy," he instructed as he made his way to the chair of his desk.

Moony and Prongs joined him on the bed.

Sirius asked a question that crossed his mind a while ago, "So my dear Juliet. Now that we're close, I think its high time that we share secrets, like most friends do. Things like who's your crush, what's your ideal partner, your future dreams and wishes y'know."

Severus froze for a moment, then he turned to them, looked at Prongs and said, "I don't like Lily, never did."

Sirius watched as his friend scratched his nape nervously, "That's good to know I guess, but, I'm over Evans now."

With wide eyes and an open jaw Severus stared at Prongs for a moment. Sirius did not blame him. Prongs chased Evans for as long as he could remember, hell, they even started bullying Severus because Prongs believed that Severus liked Lily.

"You're joking right?"

Prongs shook his head, "Nope I'm not. I like somebody else now."

"Who?" Severus asked, most likely on impulse.

Prongs smirked, "I can't tell you if you won't tell me who you like."

Blinking, Severus looked at the ground, "Well, I don't really like any one at the moment."

Sirius smiled. So they had a chance.

"What are the requirements of someone you'd like to date?" Moony asked.

Severus tugged at the sleeves of his sweater, looking absolutely adorable, "Hmm, I think I'd like someone that would be willing to be there for me when I need them. Is a decent human being and is honest with me all the time. That's it."

So simple, Sirius thought. Severus deserved more than that, and he'll make sure to provide that. If Severus would allow him to that is.

^_^^_^^_^

"What are you doing up here?" James heard as Padfoot sat beside him on the window sill.

Sighing, James replied, "Just thinking."

Padfoot cocked his head to the side, "Is it about Severus?"

James nodded, "Kinda. I mean I don't know if we have a chance. We don't even know if he's into men. Hell, even I haven't fully processed the fact that I'm into men. Had me wondering about the more intimate things, like, is kissing a man any different from a woman? What about the deed? How do you go about it? Do you have set roles in same sex relationships?"

James heard snickering and turned his head to see his friend laughing at him. Punching him on the arm James admonished him.

"It's not funny. This is serious."

Padfoot snorted, "No. I'm Sirius."

"Padfoot!" He whined.

Chuckling, Padfoot replied, "Okay, okay, I'm sorry. This is an important issue, but you can't blame me. You looked so scared right now."

He continued, "About Severus not liking men. We can't be sure about it, I mean we were sure of our sexualities until a while ago, so let's not put him in a box. I don't think there are set roles in same sex relationships, just as the dynamics in heterosexual relationships are different for every couple I think the same applies here. When it comes to kissing, well you could just try it with me and see how you feel."

James listened attentively until the last sentence. Did Padfoot just say that they could kiss? That scrambled his thoughts.

"Did you say that I could kiss you?" James asked.

Padfoot nodded in a nonchalant fashion.

James gulped. This felt odd, he never could have imagined those words coming out of Padfoots mouth a year ago, but then again, he never could have imagined a lot of things a year ago.

As if sensing his hesitation, Padfoot leaned forward and said, "Let's just try it. You'll only know after we've kissed. Plus, this just stays between us, I won't tell a soul if that's what you're worried about."

This gave James all the assurance he needed and so he leaned in. He felt Padfoot's breath fanning against his face, it was warm and gave him a tingling sensation. His heart started beating faster, his hands became sweaty, and butterflies erupted in his stomach.

Padfoot closed the remaining distance between them. Sealing their lips together.

Author's Note: Hi lovelies! Hope you like this chapter. I low-key enjoyed writing this. Anyway, I'm gonna finish this story off in roughly the ten coming chapters(maybe even five). So I wanted to know if you guys wanted to see any specific ship in my next story. Remember to stay safe, vote and comment. Till next time :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6M 93.3K 30
[BOOK ONE OF MISCHIEF MANAGED SERIES] "Just look at her, James!" Sirius cried out exasperatedly. "Can't you see it? You're in love with her." He sh...
2.1K 73 23
Everyone saw me as perfect, I always had been my whole life. I was Regulus Black, I was raised to be perfect. I was everything that my parents wanted...
158K 3.3K 22
"Run! Before Remmy notices we ate his chocolate bars" "WE?" "You're guilty by association" ~ "We alwa...
104K 4.2K 18
James doesnt know how to grab the attention of the girl he likes. So what does his friends suggest? Sucking up to the gay best friend. Or James tries...