The Selection

By Summer101234

Florence Lannister had her whole life planned, but the letters for the selection came through the post and ru... More

Characters
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven.
Chapter Eight.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter ten
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24

Chapter 16

481 6 0
By Summer101234

SHE MUST HAVE DONE SOMETHING TERRIBLE," Amy insisted. "That's not what she made it sound like," Kriss countered. Tuesday pulled on Kriss's arm. "What did she say again?" Janelle had been sent home. This particular elimination was crucial for us to understand, because it was the first one that was isolated and not caused by rule breaking. She had done something wrong, and we all wanted to know what it was. Kriss, whose room was across from Janelle's, had seen her come in and was the only person she'd spoken to before she left. Kriss sighed and retold the story for the third time. "She and Maxon had gone hunting, but you knew that," she said, waving her hand around like she was trying to clear her thoughts. Janelle's date really had been common knowledge. After the photo shoot yesterday, she gushed about their plans to anyone who would listen. "That was her second date with Maxon. She's the only one who got two," Bariel said. "No, she isn't," I mumbled. A few heads turned, acknowledging my statement. It was true, though. Janelle was the only girl to have two dates with Maxon besides me and America. Not that I was counting. Kriss continued. "When she came back, she was crying. I asked her what was wrong, and she said she was leaving, that Maxon had told her to go. I gave her a hug because she was so upset and asked her what happened. She said she couldn't tell me about it. I don't understand that . Maybe we're not allowed to talk about why we're eliminated?" "That wasn't in the rules, was it?" Tuesday asked. "No one said anything to me about it," Amy replied, and several others shook their heads in confirmation.
"But what did she say then?" Celeste urged. Kriss sighed again. "She said that I'd better be careful of what I say. Then she pulled away and slammed the door." The room went quiet a moment, considering. "She must have insulted him," Elayna said. "Well, if that's why she left, then it isn't fair, since Maxon said that someone in this room insulted him the first time they met," Celeste complained. People started looking around the room, trying to discover the guilty party, perhaps in an effort to get them kicked out as well. America looked guilty but only I noticed that. I gave her a look and she went pale. I hoped the others would find out. I want her OUT."Maybe she said something about the country? Like the policies or something?" Bariel sucked her teeth. "Please. How boring must that date have been for them to start talking policy? Has anyone in here actually talked to Maxon about anything related to running the country?" No one answered. "Of course you haven't," Bariel said. "Maxon's not looking for a coworker, he's looking for a wife."

"Don't you think you're underestimating him?" Kriss objected. "Don't you think Maxon wants someone with ideas and opinions?" Celeste threw her head back and laughed. "Maxon can run the country just fine. He's trained for it. Besides, he has teams of people to help him make decisions, so why would he want someone else trying to tell him what to do? If I were you, I'd start learning how to be quiet. At least until he marries you." Bariel sidled up beside Celeste. "Which he won't." "Exactly," Celeste said with a smile. "Why would Maxon bother with some brainiac Three when he could have a Two?" "Hey!" Tuesday cried. "Maxon doesn't care about numbers." "Of course he does," Celeste replied in a tone someone would use with a child. "Why do you think everyone below a Four is gone?" "Still here," America said, raising her hand. "So if you think you've got him figured out, you're wrong." "Oh, it's the girl who doesn't know when to shut up," Celeste said in mock amusement. "I'm also a five Celeste. I'm still here.

Silvia burst through the door. "Mail, ladies!" she called out, and the tension in the room flew away. We all stopped, eager to get our hands on what Silvia was carrying. We'd been at the palace nearly two weeks now, and with the exception of hearing from our families on the second day, this was our first real contact from home. "Let's see," Silvia said, looking through stacks of letters, completely oblivious to the almost-argument that had taken place not seconds ago. "Lady Tiny?" she called as she looked around the room. Tiny raised her hand and walked forward. "Lady Elizabeth? Lady America?" I waited for my name. It never came. I didn't get a letter. Than was humiliating. I didn't want to see everyone reading their letters. I recused myself from the room. I decided to walk to my favourite painting, the painting of the current royal family. Maxon was shorter than his mother in this picture. He towered over her now. "Florence?" I hear a voice call behind me. I turned at the sound of my name. Maxon was jogging down the hall toward me. I felt like I was seeing him for the first time. He had his suit coat off, and the sleeves were rolled up on his white shirt. His blue tie was loosened at the neck, and his hair that was always slicked back was bouncing around a bit as he moved. In stark contrast to the person in uniform yesterday, he looked more boyish, more real. I froze. Maxon came up to me and grabbed my wrists. "Are you okay? What's wrong?" he pressed.
Wrong? "Nothing. I'm fine," I replied. Maxon let out a breath I didn't realize he was holding. "Why did you think anything was wrong?" I say and he smiles. "Whenever your at this painting something's wrong, and your not in the woman's room." He says and I smile. "You know me so well." I say and he smiles. "I'm free now if you want to extend our date." He says and I nod. "I guess I could free up my schedule." I say smiling. "Follow me." He says as we rush up the stairs. He stops at a vase and he pulls it revealing a door. It was cosy, it was like a small cubby. It had a sofa bookcase and a small violin. "They're having a budget meeting upstairs, and I detest those things." Without waiting for an answer, Maxon pulled me onto his lap as we sat on the sofa, and I giggled a little as we sat. "What's so funny?" "Just you," I said, smiling. "It's cute to see that your job bugs you. What's so bad about the meetings, anyway?" "Oh, Florence!" he said, facing me again. "They go round and round in circles. Father does a good job at calming the advisers, but it's so hard to push the committees in any given direction. Mom is always on Father to give more to the school systems-she thinks the more educated you are, the less likely you are to be a criminal, and I agree-but Father is never forceful enough to get them to take away from other areas that could manage perfectly with lower funds. It's infuriating! And it's not like I'm in command, so my opinion is easily overlooked." Maxon propped his elbows on his knees and rested his head in his hands. He looked tired. So now I could see a bit of Maxon's world, but it was just as unimaginable as ever. How could you deny the voice of your future sovereign? "I'm sorry. On the plus side, you'll have more of a say in the future." I rubbed his back, trying to encourage him. "I know. I tell myself that. But it's so frustrating when we could change things now if they'd only listen." His voice was a little hard to hear when it was directed at the carpet. "I know what you mean. I always wish I would change things now." I say hanging my head down. "What's troubling you?" He says tipping my chin up. "It's stupid." I say and his eyes soften. "Nothing you say will ever be stupid."

"I didn't get a letter from home." I say and he understands. "That's awful, it's possible the letters got lost in the mail." He says and I shake my head. "No it's not that. My family hates writing. It was just humiliating." I say and he hugs me. "Florence Lannister, you shouldn't let anything humiliate you." He says and I smile. "Close your eyes." I say and he looks confused. "What?" "Close them!" I say and he obeys. I lean forward, he smiles and tries to open his eyes. "Uh keep them closed!" I say and he smirks. I lean forward more and rest my hand on his cheek. "Maxon Shreave. You don't know what you do to me." I say. "You can open them." I say and he leans into a kiss. This felt like it was ours. Nobody could interrupt, for a moment I felt like the only girl in the world. His hands moved up my back, caressing me in a soft way. "Florence Lannister, you make me crazy." He says pulling away. "Maxon there's something you need to know about me." I say getting off his lap. "What is it?" He says seriously. "Look I'm a jealous person so I need to know." I take a deep breath. "Do you do this with anyone else? I have really fallen for you and I can't let myself feel if I don't know. Do you do the same with the rest of them?" I say and he looks shocked. "Florence, this is a competition. I have to talk to everyone else. But no, I am not like this with everyone. What we have is special." He says and I smile. "But there's someone else." I whisper, he's head hangs. "I'm not the only person you met on that first night, you met someone who yelled at you, you liked that. That person you have developed a bond with. We both know it. Your secret codes. I'm never going to be better than her am I?" I say fighting back the tears, I need to show him that I won't settle for second best. "Florence" maxon starts. "Maxon, there's nothing I can do to make you want me more than her, is there?" I start, he shakes his head. "Bye maxon." I say leaving the room, with him looking at me, still shaking his head.

I ran to my bedroom. I couldn't deal with that any more. I knew I needed to hear it, it didn't mean I wanted too. America Singer took everything from me, she didn't even want Maxon she had someone else. I sobbed as soon as I got into my room. Grace, Nicole and Poppy were confused but them comforted me all the same, they didn't question it, but they knew, they always know. It was obvious I had been crying at dinner. My eyes were puffy still, face still red. Thankfully Maxon wasn't there. I looked around the room to find the empty chair, assuming he was on a date, but everyone was here. The king wasn't here either. I could eat in peace. Just then Maxon and the king walked in. Maxon had his suit coat back on, but his hair was still a handsome mess. He and the king had their heads together as they walked. We hurried to stand. Their conversation was animated. Maxon was using his hands to express things and the king was nodding, acknowledging his son's words but looking a little put out. When they reached the head table, King Clarkson gave Maxon a heavy pat on the back, his expression stern. As the king turned to face us all, his face suddenly flooded with enthusiasm. "Oh, goodness, dear ladies, please sit." He kissed the queen on her head and sat himself.
But Maxon remained standing. "Ladies, I have an announcement." Every eye focused in. What could he possibly have for us? "I know you were all promised compensation for your participation in the Selection." His voice was full of a ringing authority. He was much more attractive when he was using his status for a purpose. "However, there have been some new monetary allocations. If you are a natural Two or a Three, you will no longer be receiving financing. Fours and Fives will continue to receive compensation, but it will be slightly less than what it has been so far." I could see some of the girls had their mouths open in shock. Money was part of the deal. Celeste, for example, was fuming. I guessed if you had a lot of money, you got used to the idea of collecting it. And the thought that someone like me would be getting anything she wasn't probably got under her skin. "I do apologize for any inconvenience, but I will explain this all tomorrow night on the Capital Report. And this is a nonnegotiable situation. If anyone has a problem with this new arrangement and no longer wants to participate, you may leave after dinner." He sat down and started talking again to the king, who seemed more interested in his dinner than Maxon's words. I was a little disheartened that my family would be receiving less money, but at least we were still getting some. I tried to focus on my dinner, but mostly I was wondering what this meant, and I wasn't alone. Murmurs went up around the room.

"What do you think that's about?" Tiny asked quietly. "Maybe it's a test," Kriss offered. "I bet there are some people here who are only in it for the money." As I listened to her, I saw Fiona nudge Olivia and nod her head toward me. I turned away so she wouldn't know I saw. "Look at me again I dare you." I said to Olivia and Fiona. I was in no mood to be accused of such. The girls offered up theories, and I kept watching Maxon. He looked different, he only focused on his food. He didn't look at anyone. America was staring at him too. Selfish bitch.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78.7K 1.9K 44
~ 'Matthew slid closer to me so our bodies were pressed up against each other in a not to intimate way. "I hope I cross your mind every once in a whi...
62.2K 736 44
After Maxon and America's selection America and Maxon have four children. When the eldest comes of age a new selection shell begin. Annabelle only jo...
32.1K 366 49
⚠️READ THE SELECTION BOOKS BEFORE ! "Hello, my dear," he whispers. "Don't start," I warn in return, and we're both left smiling. He holds my hands as...
189K 2.3K 40
The selection has ended. Maxon has chosen the girl he wants to marry. The choice was unexpected. He chose Kriss Ambers. Maxon was happy until the day...