Chapter 20

Before maxon could leave, America came running up to him before pausing when seeing me

Before maxon could leave, America came running up to him before pausing when seeing me. He saw her, and his eyes started searching her face, how he always does to me. She bites her lip and looks down. Maxon smiled and looked at me, realising I saw the whole exchange. He didn't even say anything looking back at her and tugging his ear, her copying. I just walked away, I couldn't keep seeing that.

THE QUEEN'S FAMILY STAYED A few days, and the visitors from Swendway an entire week. They did a segment on the Report discussing international relations and movements toward more peace for both nations. It was now a month into my stay at the palace and I still felt uneasy while walking around the halls. The guards all liked me, aswell as the maids but I couldn't shake the feeling that I was always being watched, I couldn't shake the uneasy feeling no matter how hard I tried, it was always there, whenever I turned a corner I felt all eyes were on me. I couldn't figure it out. Meals with the royal family and times in the Women's Room were staples in my routine and I enjoy them, I really do but I just don't think I belong here. Have you ever felt unwelcome to something you were invited to? Like you were never meant to be there? That's how I feel. Women's Room had gotten a little more exciting, as the queen had shown up at least twice now. She hadn't really spoken to anyone yet, but she sat in a comfortable chair with her maids at her side, watching as we read or conversed. That reminded me of my mother, I hadn't gotten many letters from them, I had started to think something had happened to them but I would always get one the week after. The girls were warming up to me more, I was one of the popular girls. Me and Celeste did stay together mostly. America and me weren't speaking. I think Maxon may have said something but I didn't care, she can be my enemy. I'll crush her. She knew that too, We finally found out the magazine's top picks for our photographs. I was shocked to see I was one of the front-runners. Marlee was in the top spot, with Kriss, Tallulah, and Bariel close behind. Celeste didn't talk to Bariel for days upon hearing this, I was surprised she didn't stop talking to me either. What still seemed to bring the most tension were the bits of information tossed around. Whoever had been with Maxon recently couldn't help but gush about their little interlude. The way everyone spoke, it seemed as if Maxon was going to be choosing six or seven wives. But not everyone was shining in this experience. For instance, Marlee had more than a few dates with Maxon, which put everyone on edge. America had a few less than Marlee, I hadn't had any since the argument. That was until I got a letter from him as I entered my bedroom to get ready before dinner. "Lady florence, I would be delighted if you would accompany me to the stables after dinner. Maxon." I hadn't expected this, neither had my maids as they had kitted out an amazing gown, perfect for horse riding, I couldn't have been more happy. There were still twenty-two girls here after Camille, Mikaela, and Laila had been sent home. Camille and Laila were simply incompatible and left with very little fanfare. Mikaela got so homesick she burst into heaving sobs during breakfast two days later. Maxon escorted her from the room, patting her shoulder the whole way. He seemed fine with letting them go, and was happy to focus on his other prospects, myself included.

I was itching to go all dinner, I saved my appetite as much as I could, it wasn't good to eat before horse riding. I couldn't wait. As soon as Dinner was over, he approached me as I was leaving, everyone looked amazed, they had realised that he hasn't noticed me in a few days. "Maxon." I said taking his arm. "Florence." He says smiling at me. "Have you ever been horse riding before?" He said as we exit the castle and go into the gardens. "I haven't! Do you have any black horses! I've always wanted to ride one!" I say gripping on his arm. I was really excited. "I'll make sure you get Raven." He says laughing at my excitement. When we get to the stabled I'm amazed. It's huge, horses were getting washed and fed everywhere. But the one I wanted was getting prepped, by someone who looked alot like Lucy, Americas maid. "Your majesty, Raven is ready." The man says, Raven was his horse. "Thank you, can you also prepare Koda?" He says and I look at him. "Ravens your horse!" I say going over to her, she looked happy. "Yes, but I'm willing to let you ride her, it would be a shame to ruin your fun." He says smiling at me and Raven. Getting on the horse was amazing, I finally felt at home, I looked happy to as Maxon was staring at me, smiling at my happiness. "You enjoying this!" He yells out to me. "I really am!" I yell back, I didn't care about looking ladylike, my hair was flowing in the wind, skirt hitched up. I see that maxon has stopped his horse and is just admiring me. "What are you doing?" I say stopping my horse too. "Looking at you." He says playfully. "I drew something for you!" I say and he rides closer to me. I hand him a sketch pad, it has drawings of him in it. "It's very good." He says smiling, he turns the page and sees another sketch, one I thought I had ripped out, one he shouldn't have seen. "When did you do this one?" He says holding it up. It was him, with his little cousins in the garden, he had his camera attached around his neck, he looked carefree. I drew it after the argument, in the background of the picture America is drawn. "The day the queen of Swenway was here." I say trying to take it from his hands. He dodges. "It's good, really good." He says and I reach for it again. "I think I might keep this one." He says laughing. It's not that the picture was bad, it just has a lot of emotion. I hop off the horse. "Maxon shreave you cannot steal that!" I say trying to grab it from below, he jumps off too and starts to run. I take off my shoes and run for him. "God your fast!" He says as I catch up to him and lunge at him. "I still got it!" I say grabbing the picture out of his hands. "Florence your beautiful." He says and I look down at him. I'm basically suffocating him with my dress. "Don't." I say smiling. He leans forward. "Don't what?" He says smiling. "Don't make me like you again." I say before closing the gap between our lips. It felt different, it felt normal. Nobody was here to see this moment, no cameras, it was just us in the empty field of the palace. His lips were soft, you could tell he was well looked after. We stayed locked together for a few moments, moment I would never forget, it was different than the other time, this time it felt like nobody else existed, we didn't have to hide, we were ourselves.

"Your amazing Florence." He says pulling away. I slide off him and lay next to him, face to face. "Maxon I really like you." I whisper, gently caressing his face. His eyes light up and I honestly feel flutters in my stomach. I always thought we had control over who we love, now I know that I was wrong, I didn't chose to love Maxon, it just came over me. "I like you too." He says, kissing my hand. This man, he does things that I never imagined. "I didn't come here thinking I would find someone like you, someone I trust. Someone I can go to with anything. You've really opened my eyes Maxon." I say kissing him again. At that moment, I realised I really loved Maxon Shreave. I didn't love the crown, I loved him.