Stefan Chen: NCT's Taiwanese...

By MightyBrand3464

Born of Taiwanese descent and influenced by both his Chinese and American cultures, he develops a passion for... More

Stefan Chen (ØZI) (Updated)
~Ships With NCT~
Ships with SM Idols
~Ships with other idols ❤️ ❤️ (Updated)
SM Rookies
A Dramatic Reunion
Project Neo Culture
Preparations for Debut
~The 7th Sense
~Without You
First Live Performance
New Dorm rooms
Family Reunion
~FireTruck
~Firetruck Music Bank
Helping out an old friend
~Without U (Chinese)
ØZI: The Beginning
Spending time with Victoria
Visiting Taiwan
~ØZI Turn Up
~Turn Up Dance
~Chewing Gum Chinese
ØZI: The Interview
Idol Homecoming
2016 MAMA Showcase
Victoria's Cpop Showcase
Main Event: Turn up
~Switch
Stefan's Holiday V Live
~Limitless
~Limitless M Countdown
Taste the Feeling (Bonus)
Seoul Music Awards
~My first and last (Chinese)
~ØZI: Me Instead 奪愛
~Zhoumi: (上位) Uprising
Singing sessions with Jieqiong
~Shui Ai Shui (誰愛誰)
~Title (頭銜)
Rocking with Z.TAO
Luhan's Delimma
~Roleplay & On call
Meeting Lucas Wong
~Cherry Bomb
~Cherry Bomb M Countdown
Chilling with Henry
~Kiss it (ft ØZI)
KCON 2017 NY
~Papillon (Jackson/ØZI collab)
~We Young (Chinese)
KCON 2017 LA
Victoria's Comeback
~Good Thing (Bonus)
An Unexpected Detour
Visiting Taiwan again
~(買榜) ft Julia, Kumachan, Trout
~(走到飛) by Forbidden Paradise
~ ØZI: (天堂島) Paradise Island
Chatting hour with ØZI x Tzuyu
~Limitless Japanese
~夢中夢 (몽중몽) Dream a Dream
Mama 2017 Finale
Starting the year with a bang
~Timeless
~Boss
~Baby Don't Stop (Updated)
iQiyi Music Awards: Opening Act
iQiyi Main Event
iQiyi Finale! 🏆
Crashing in on Idol Producer
~Boss live
~Touch
~Touch M Countdown
Forbidden Paradise
~Yestoday (Updated)
ØZI's 21st Birthday
~New Heroes by Ten
~Back in Black
ØZI O.O.T.D + English Interview
~Chain
ØZI's grand return- I'm the man
~Diamond
~Black Out ft Julia Wu
KCON 2018
M Countdown Taipei
~We Go Up Chinese Version
~Regular English Version
~Regular Korean version
ØZI: W.I.L.D
~Regular live
~Simon Says
~Simon Says live
A Date with Cheng Xiao
~Coffee Break with Lucas
~Fly Away With Me
Back on Black SBS
Epilogue: Book Two Available
Taeyong's solos
Collabs with Mark
Collabs with Doyoung
Jaehyun's Solo- Try Again
Airplane Mode ØZI ft Winwin
Collabs with Taeil

A change in plans

150 2 12
By MightyBrand3464

Stefan Chen was many things, he was an active thinker, taking an interest in learned the various subjects school had to offer, mostly so his parents would get off his ass, but enjoyed learning nonetheless. Taking great interest in history and poetry. He was also a free spirit never letting anyone around ruin his vibe.

But the most important thing he was as a person was an avid music junkie. From listening to RnB to Hip Hop, to the old tapes of Teresa Teng he listened to them all. Over the years he developed his love for music into his passion as he took vocal lessons trying to mold his voice into the distinct style it is today. He took his poetry writing skills into rapping. It certainly helped that his mother was a one-time singer that helped him hone his craft.

Now he found himself in Korea, a country that was completely foreign to him, but it offered great opportunities for artists like himself. There's been a increase of demand of Chinese idols. He has only heard about Kpop only from groups like Big Bang and Exo other than that he's not very familiar with the genre. He's much more familiar to Mandopop artists like Jay Chou, JJ Lin, and G.E.M.

"Are you sure this is the place you want to move?" questioned his mother.

"Of course mom that's what my music teacher recommended me. If I can get accepted to one of these agencies, I'll surely become an idol in no time.

"I know you want to follow your dream, but don't you think you're moving a little too fast?"

"Maybe, but this is the opportunity I've been waiting for. Just wait mom you won't regret this decision" Stefan said with a determined smile.

And that is what he precisely did, by working hard enough getting adjusted to the Korean language he decided to audition at JYP Entertainment to become a trainee. It took a lot for hard work, but after doing a convincing dance session from one of Jay Chou's song he passed the audition.

"Not bad man that was a hell of a show" came the voice of his seniors. What surprised him was the fact he spoke in near perfect English.

"How do you know English?"

"I'm from Hong Kong bro everyone speaks English" the boy answered.

"So that means you speak Chinese, correct?"

"I more or less can, though Cantonese is my mother tongue. Sometimes I use it to talk to Mark hyung. You're from Taiwan, correct?"

"Sort of, I was actually born in America, but my parents are Taiwanese. I visited Taipei on several occasions, but I never been to Hong Kong before. I hear it's a beautiful city."

"For sure Hong Kong is one of the major banking centers of the world man. A lot of people work there to chase their dreams man. I just wanted to get to know ya I hope you enjoy it here. You should meet Mark hyung he's just like you. He's also Taiwanese American. Anyways take care man"

"Hey, I haven't got your name?"

The boy turned back "I'm Jackson Wang and yours?" Jackson did a fist bump which Stefan happily returned.

"Stefan Chen nice to meet you Jackson xiongdi" he introduced in Mandarin.

"Hahaha you're a funny one bro, but I like your spirit" Jackson waved bye.

And so, Stephan grew accustomed to his position as trainee. He got to meet other foreign trainees like Christopher Bang from Australia who's roughly around the same age range and BamBam who recently debuted in Jackson's group. He eventually got to meet Mark Tuan himself. He had to admit that the guy was fun to be around with. A total shame he could only see them during his free days.

Throughout the rest of 2014 he trained hard, learned the Korean language and culture, and spent his time attending SOPA high to get better aquatinted with Korean studies. By the end of the year, he was on the right track, but something was about to happen that will reconsider his career.

"Alright just need to write out this line here" Stefan was writing for Got7's upcoming comeback. He had written their previous comeback "Stop it Stop it Stop it" with great success.

"He was so focused on his work, he didn't see the girl he just bumped into.

"M-M-Mianhe, I-I not s-see you" she struggled to respond. The girl seemed to have a hard time communicating as she spoke in broken Korean.

"Hey there are you okay?" He replied in Korean, but the girl couldn't understand him.

Suddenly he heard her cursing herself in Mandarin. By the sound of it, she doesn't think well of herself. Taking a deep breath, he decided to comfort the poor girl.

"Hey there no need to beat yourself up it was my fault in the first place. I should've watched out where I was going. What's your name?" he spoke in Mandarin shocking the young girl.

The girl was at a loss for words. She shyly fidgeted her fingers before she quietly responded back.

"Chou Tzuyu"

"Tzuyu, that sound like a beautiful name. So, what brings you here in the training quarters so early?" He asked.

"Well, I have to be prepared to appear in JYP-nim's program. I'm supposed to join the other girls" she explained.

"Oh you're talking about that Sixteen show JYP-nim been working with. I hope you make it into the final list. I have to send these over to PD-nim."

"What is that you're writing?"

"This is supposed to be for Got7's upcoming comeback. Hopefully ajusshi accept my ideas. I didn't think he would be such a hard critic." Stephan showed her his paper.

"Wow these are some great words! There were rumors about a Taiwanese trainee writing music!! Your name is Chen Yifan correct?"

"That is only my birth name, but people just call me by my English name Stefan." he chuckled.

"Incredible my English name is Sally. It's nice to meet another fellow Taiwanese. I hope you do well in your career, look forward to seeing you debut" Tzuyu smiled brightly that made Stefan turn his cheeks red as he felt his heart skip a beat. The girl in question was very beautiful no doubt about it. Bright chestnut hair and a beautiful grin that makes you feel happy. She was tall for a girl, perhaps the tallest next to that Canadian girl who is also participating in the program.

Smiling back, he wished the girl good luck before returning to JYP-nim to approve his writing.

Minutes later

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO!? WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE WRONG WITH MY WRITING?" Stefan shouts outraged.

"I mean exactly what I said Stefan-ssi while you certainly possess great writing craftsmanship, I cannot accept such inappropriate content in my group. Content like this would cause a scandal by the public. Unless you write something more appropriate for fans, then consider this writing deal finished. It's great that you're helping me with writing for my artist, but you're still a trainee. You're doing things beyond your supposed role." JYP expressed his disappointment.

"So you're saying I can't even write music? But that's what I been doing for years!!"

"And that's admirable but you're here to train, not to produce. We have many producers and writers, me included so we really don't need your help. Focus on what you need to do and continue training. You're not our main priority at the moment" Jyp stated.

"But sir those instructors do nothing but make gossip about me because of my foreigner status. I always end up working harder than everyone else!! I barely get time to rest and worst of all the trainees don't want to talk to me! Aside from Jackson and Mark hyung everybody else treats me like a stranger! Bangchan is the only trainee that treats me like a friend. I don't want to sound racist but is this how all you people treat all foreigners that come here and train?!" Stefan was furious at this point. He worked hard to have it thrown out the window because he wasn't "qualified".

"That's it I had enough of this company. Why should I stay here if nobody respects me here." He said with a snarl before turning around to face a stunned JYP.

"You know what the worst part of it all that I never received writing credits for some of Got7's music." He simply said as he slammed the door shut never again wanting to see that building.

He spent the remainder of the day pissed out of his mind. He spent everything he had moving here and now he felt like a fool investing his time here. Maybe being a idol wasn't for him.

He smiled at the television seeing Tzuyu dance to Jolin Tsai. The girl was obviously trying her best but came off a little clumsy. He admired her spirit despite the constant discrimination because of her lack of Korean fluency, the girl pressed on. He had never seen such determination.

"I'm glad she's doing well. I wish her the very best as an idol." He chuckled at the girl's shy personality.

"I heard things broke down with your agency. What are you going to now?" Her mother sat down next to him.

He took a few seconds to contemplate. "There's nothing really worth it for me to stay here. I spent the whole year trying to become my own artist, but what do I get in return? Working extra-long hours with barely any rest, constant harassment from the staff and a wasted writing career." Stefan sighed.

He yawned already too worn out from the little sleep he received to finish his writing.

"I'm going to sleep mom. I need to wash away all this stress" Stefan went into his room. Not even bothering to change he laid on his bed. While he laid his backpack aside he heard something fall.

"Come on now I'm too tired to for this" he yawned. Picking up the object in question was a frame of himself with Jackson and the rest of Got7 during the Stop It era.

"And now that ship has sank, damn I'm so tired" he yawned before heading to sleep.

Lost was what he felt. Because of his confrontation, he essentially cut off all ties with his agency. He spent the next few weeks trying to make another living here until he has enough money to move back to Taiwan. Buts weeks turned into months as he struggled to make a decent living in a country he has no connections to. All this stress has affected his creativity, he hasn't written much since that fallout. He didn't know where to go or what to do now and because of his limited Korean, he doesn't have many options to look for a job let alone a career.

Waiting for his groceries to be scanned, he hummed a Drake tune he has been hearing recently.

Cause ever since i left the city you,
See I got a reputation for myself now.
Everybody knows and you feel left out,
Boy you had me down, you got me stressed out.
But ever since i left the city you,
See I started wearing less and going out more.
Glasses of champagne out on the dancefloor,
Hanging with some girls you've never seen before."

"You have quite an incredible voice young man. Are you perhaps a trainee?" the clerk woman asked.

"I was, but I left that life a while back ago. I'm just trying to get by here" Stefan answered. The woman could see his downcast expression when he mentioned it.

"Understandable the entertainment industry can be competitive. A shame they wasted on such an incredible talent. A young man like you should be an idol. You certainly have the handsome looks to boot. If you ever reconsider, I'll be your very first fan" she replied as she scanned the items.

"Will that be all?"

"No mam"

"Well then I hope you reconsider your career opportunities sir it would disappointing if you didn't utilize that talent" The clerk woman smiled as he chuckled away.

"A second chance that lady is talking crazy. I'm not cut out to be an idol" Stefan laughed in disbelief.

He heard a someone trying to catch up. Turning around he saw a middle-aged man in his late forties as he struggled to catch his breath.

"Are you alright sir?" Stefan asked with concern.

"Don't worry just let me catch my breath." The old man wheezes out. After a few seconds of regaining his breath, he began speaking again.

"I was shopping a moment and couldn't help but notice your vocal talent. You have such a lovely voice and it would a shame if you never utilize it" the man complimented.

"I'm flattered sir, I have some experience writing music for a while so I like to hum a tune to keep me focused."

"A songwriter, now that is even better. Our company has been looking for someone with the writing and vocal talent. You fit the mold and I think with hard work you'll be a great idol no, an amazing musical artist" the man handed out a business card to Eric. Said business card had the logo of SM Entertainment written on it.

"Hmm I heard of that name before" Stefan thought.

"Feel free to show up on our building, Sooman-nim is always looking for great talent. I hope you consider this opportunity young man" the man waved goodbye.

"That sure was weird" Stefan flipped over the card revealing the address.

"I wonder what mom would feel about this?"

Stefan's Apartment

"Of course you can my son! You have any idea how long I wanted to you to go pursue your dream. This your major opportunity Stefan I say you should take it" the mother said enthusiastically.

"Are you sure this is a good idea mom? I tried it before and look where it got me. I don't want it regret it again by wasting my time here." Stefan said in a hesitant tone.

"Remember that this was your idea you might as well see it through the end. You can't let one bad experience stop you from following your dreams. Remember what you told me when you were little. If you spend your life second guessing then you'll never get anywhere. Sometimes life requires a leap of faith, if it doesn't work then you can apply for another. All I want for you is to work hard because you enjoy doing what you love" her replied.

Stefan couldn't really respond to that so he took a reluctant sigh before kissing her on the cheek. "All right then if you believe in me mom, then I'll do it" Stefan said with newfound confidence as he went out towards the entertainment building. Marveling at the massive building complex compared to JYP's office, SM was far larger.

"I guess they must be a big deal around here" Stefan took a deep breath before walking inside the complex. He was at a loss for words at what he saw, a larger hallway filled with several elevators for tourist to travel. Merchandise was littered throughout the display as people went to purchase the merchandise. There were plastic televisions that hung from the wall running in the highest definition possible.

"Is this really an entertainment complex it looks more like a shopping center" Stefan muttered in English.

"Be careful where you are, you're too close to the glass" a female receptionist gently pushed him back.

"Excuse me mam do you where I can meet this Sooman person. One of your agents came to me and offered me an invitation" Stefan showed her the card.

"I see so you have been scouted by Sooman himself, you must be very talented" the woman said in a surprising tone.

"I wouldn't say that, but I'll gladly take the compliment."

"Just take the elevator towards the third floor to the right. At the end of the hallway you're greeted towards the audition room" the woman explains.

"Gamsahapnida noona" he bowed politely.

"No thank you for taking the time to audition. I wish you the best fighting!" she winked.

Stefan took the nearest elevator. He noticed there was a trainee already using it. Making a subtle bow he pressed the button to go to third floor before standing by.

"So you're going to audition? Good luck" the man said kindly.

"I appreciate it" Stefan replied before the door opened as the man took off. After a few seconds of waiting the door finally opened to the floor he was supposed to audition. After looking at several signs for direction he finally made it to a small room at the end of the hallway. Opening the door, he was met by dozen other aspiring trainees waiting in line so they could pass the audition. He waited patiently for his turn to come. He saw some people attempting to sing and dance with questionable skill.

"These people are really determined to become idols" he cringed at hearing a middle school boy trying to sing. The fact that his voice kept cracking made it unbearable to hear. After several minutes of waiting, it was finally his turn.

"What's your name?" Asked the staff member. He was holding a notepad.

"Stefan Chen Yifan"

"Ok then, head towards where the camera was facing. Make sure you show us why you're worthy to join us." The staff said nonchalantly.

Standing next towards the camera there were several other staff members observing and interacting with other staff, but there was one man that stood. He was much older and carried himself like someone with power.

"That must be Sooman person the guy was talking about" he flinched seeing the old man stare at him with intent.

"Will you please begin shooting, there are others waiting for you" the cameraman said.

I know way too many people here right now
That I didn't know last year, who the fuck are y'all?
I swear it feels like the last few nights we've been everywhere and back
But I just can't remember it all
What am I doing?
What am I doing?
Oh yeah, that's right, I'm doin' me, I'm doin' me
I'm living life right now, man, and this what I'mma do 'til it's over
Til it's over
But it's far from over
Alright, bottles on me, long as someone drink it
Never drop the ball, fuck it y'all thinkin'?
Makin' sure the Young Money ship is never sinkin'
Bout to set it off in this bitch, Jada Pickett Smith
I shouldn't have drove, tell me how I'm getting home?
You too fine to be layin' down in bed alone
I could teach you how to speak my language, Rosetta Stone
I swear this life is like the sweetest thing I've ever known
Got the gold thriller, Mike Jackson on these homies
All I need's a fucking red jacket with some zippers
Super-good smidoke, a package of the Swisher's
I did it overnight, it couldn't happen any quicker
Y'all know them? Well, fuck it, me either
Point the biggest skeptic out, I'll make him a believer
It wouldn't be the first time I done it throwin' hundreds
When I should be throwin' ones, bitch, I run it
I know way too many people here right now
That I didn't know last year
Who the fuck are y'all?
I swear it feels like the last few nights we've been everywhere and back
But I just can't remember it all
What am I doing?
What am I doing?
Oh yeah, that's right, I'm doin' me, I'm doin' me
I'm living life right now, man, and this what I'mma do 'til it's over
Til it's over
But it's far from over
One thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain
And I swear I got the shit that makes these bitches go insane
So they tell me that they love me, I know better than that, it's just game
It's what comes with the fame and I'm ready for that, I'm just sayin'
But I really can't complain, everything is kosher
Two thumbs up
Ebert and Roper
I really can't see the end getting any closer
But I'll probably still be the man when everything is over
So I'm riding through this city with my high-beams on
Can you see me? Can you see me? Get your Visine on
Y'all just do not fit the picture, turn your wise friend on
If you thinkin' I'mma quit before I die, dream on
Man, they treat me like a legend, am I really this cold?
I'm really too young to be feeling this old
It's about time you admit it, who you kiddin'?
And nobody's ever done it like I did it
I know way too many people here right now
That I didn't know last year, who the fuck are y'all?
I swear it feels like the last few nights we've been everywhere and back
But I just can't remember it all
What am I doing?
What am I doing?
Oh yeah, that's right, I'm doin' me, I'm doin' me
I'm living life right now, man, and this what I'mma do 'til it's over
Til it's over
But it's far from over
Yeah, that's right, I'm doin' me, I'm doin' me
I'm living life right now, man, and this what I'mma do 'til it's over
Til it's over
But it's far from over

Music end

He heard mutters from the staff members and the trainees. Most spoke with intrigue at this foreign trainee. After a few seconds of whispering Sooman spoke up.

"My employees told me that you were you a JYP trainee is that correct?"

He nods "I was for about a year, but I left that company while back ago because I felt I was the odd one out. I wasn't even received credit for Got7's comeback. What was the point of me training when I wasn't important for them" Stefan said bluntly.

"Oh so that was you who wrote the song?" Sooman was now intrigued. He's heard the talent the boy possesses and the fact he was Chinese intrigued him more. Perhaps we have a potential ace in his upcoming project.

"I'm surprised you people know about it. Like I explained I was never credited."

"You can say I have some kind of interest in you. It's clear to me you want creative control for your work. I'm willing to provide that, but you'll have to be willing train hard every single day. I can't guarantee it won't be easy for you, but I show me you're serious about this, then I will give you support for future endeavors."

"So that means I passed?"

"Compared to others I have heard today, you possess a great voice and given more training you have the potential the be a great idol. Considering this a thank you for audition. I look to seeing you grow as an idol" Sooman shook his hands in a formal manner shocking everyone present.

"I-I-I-"

"No need to thank me just work hard and show me why you're worthy of debuting" Sooman chuckled patting his back as he guided the young boy away.

"He's so lucky" echoed the thoughts of all the people present.

Stefan had a lot of questions today, but one thing was sure. A new opportunity has already presented itself and chose him.

"I hope things can be different this time."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14K 152 42
Just as the title says :) Requests are open, you can put them in the comments or ping me personally whenever you want! Updates might be irregular but...
71.2K 1.9K 51
Lee Jeno,the new kid doesn't have any friends...weird...he is very handsome...some say he's a model,some a rapper,dancer....And I did my research...h...
200K 8.6K 50
Yoo Jeongyeon came from one of the richest families in South Korea, together with her sisters; Son Chaeyoung, Kim Dahyun, and Chou Tzuyu. Their surna...
8K 399 15
How two school boys meet several years later... Meet Lee Minhyung.The son of the school's principal When his father already made school a bit better...