Monster High: A New Start (Ma...

By Morning_Blankets

Y/N Van Helsing is the adopted nephew to the world famous monster hunter Vincent Van Helsing. However, neithe... More

A Spooky Start
First Day Freights
Here Comes Cupid
Necromalcy
New Ghoul
Disassembly
Strange Situations
M.A.L.L.
Dastardly Discoveries
Bad Gets Worse
Creepy Crybrary
Homecoffin
Freightful Friends
Dreadful Director
Insidious Interviews
Spine-Chilling Sabotage
Silver Scream
Freight or Fight
Hunting Humans
Hiding in Horror
Soulful Search
Moody Mooncycle
Monster Mash
Ragged Regrets
(After)Life
Boo-tiful Music
Sinema
Terror On The Tracks
Abominable Adventure
New Goreleans
Soul-Searching Steamboat
Melodramatic Memories
Castlevania
Helsing
Vampire's Heart
Boo Bros
Possible Ghoulfriend
Sweet Screams
Boogie Nights
Bloody Revelations
Wicked Winter Break Begins
The Grimm Baking Show
The Unlives of Helsing
Familiar Families
Chilling Christmas
Nefarious New Year
Immoral Integrity
Enduring Evil
The End or A Start?

Phantom Phone Syndrome

1.4K 55 17
By Morning_Blankets

The forty-five-minute drive to Bridgeport Village had been worth it. Buying a new phone online couldn’t possibly have compared to the experience of walking into an Apple Store for the first time. Sleek technology eager to be touched. Built by geniuses. Charged by electricity. Brought to life with the swipe of a fingertip. Frankie considered changing her name to iStein and moving in.

To avoid being recognized, Frankie had to wear prosthetics to hide her skin and scars, but she didn't seem to care. She was much too fascinated by the array of phones and laptops and watches and brooches and whatever else this place had.

Viveka feigned interest in the laptops with a tight-lipped smile and semi-curious nod.

Viveka: It’s nice to leave Salem every now and then.

Frankie: I agree.

Frankie was just indulging her mother, even though she knew Viveka’s comment was about more than spending Sunday afternoon phone shopping in Portland. It meant not having to wonder if a shop owner would check their IDs before allowing them into the store. Not mistaking the wind for the sound of someone coming to take them away. Not checking the Internet for slanderous posts. Not dodging suspicious glances from the driver of a passing car. Not questioning their decision to stay and fight what seemed like a losing battle.

Viveka: Do you have the gift card?

Frankie snapped open her quilted black handbag-slash-portable-amp-machine, feeling a sudden sense of superiority over the displayed electronics. Unlike them, she could go for days without a power cord, something they, in their fancy minimalist world, could only dream of.

Frankie: Can I browse?

Viveka scanned the perimeter with the side-eyed subtlety of a Secret Service agent. Kids played interactive games at a low circular table, an older couple held a salesman hostage with questions about Macs versus PCs, hipsters grazed, and three bleached blonds in futuristic outfits hovered over the latest iPad.

Viveka: Fine. But don’t wander off. I won’t be long.

Normally Frankie would have mocked her mother for being overprotective, but considering the circumstances, she promised to stay close, and then hurried away before she changed her mind.

Intrigued by the blonds’ fascination with whatever they were watching, Frankie inched toward them.

The sound was unmistakable. Fearless. Empowered. Revolutionary. The world premiere of Lady Gaga’s new video!

You liked some of Gaga's songs, but what the heck did she know about IPhones?

To avoid sparking, Frankie stuffed her hands into the pockets of her skinny military cargoes and asked if she could watch it with them. They didn’t dare turn away from Gaga to respond, but a girl wearing a Bubble Wrap scarf made room. Just as Frankie snagged a decent view, the video ended.

Girl: Best one ever!

The blond was wearing ice-cream-sprinkle-covered sunglasses on top of her head.

Girl: You say that after every one.

This girl had crime-scene tape tied around her leggings. Where did she even get that?

Bubble Wrap: Wait until the concert.

Frankie gasped.

Frankie: You’re going to her concert?

Sprinkle Glasses: Thirteen more days!

Crime Scene: You?

Was she unaware of the red lipstick smudge on her front tooth?

Frankie: I wish.

Frankie sighed.

Frankie: It’s impossible to get tickets without a connection.

Bubble Wrap: Not true.

She put her arms around Crime Scene and Sprinkle Glasses.

Bubble Wrap: We camped.

Frankie, feeling an instant bond through their mutual love of Gaga, confessed something.

Frankie: I’ve been a little monster since the day I was born. A few weeks ago, I put white streaks in my hair and…

Suddenly, Viveka grabbed Frankie by the back of her black-and-pink-striped turtleneck and yanked her out of the store.

Frankie: What? Mom, what are you doing? Did you get the phones?

Viveka: No talking until we’re in the car! Not a single word.

Something must have happened with the gift card. Something embarrassing.

Viveka slammed the Volvo door, turned up the radio, in case someone is listening?, and seethed.

Viveka: What were you thinking?

Frankie: Me? What did I do?

Viveka: Telling those strangers you were born a monster?

She turned off the ignition and lowered her head into her hands.

Viveka: It’s one thing to put yourself in danger, again!, but that term? It’s so derogatory. What has happened to you?

Frankie burst out laughing.

Viveka turned to her in disbelief. Her sleek black ponytail was unusually disheveled.

Viveka: So this is funny to you?

Frankie: Mom, if I wanted to come out, I’d start by scrubbing off this pore-clogging makeup.

Viveka: Then what....

Frankie: ‘Little monster’ is a Lady Gaga thing. It’s what she calls her fans. It has nothing to do with monsters.

Viveka: What?

Frankie: Yeah. I was hardly turning myself in.

Viveka: Really?

Frankie raised her brows as if to say, Come on, Mom, give me some credit.

A smile, gradual as the rising sun, brightened Viveka’s face. The spark in her violet eyes returned.

Viveka: What a relief.

She pulled Frankie in for a gardenia-scented hug and then burst into a mix of laughter and tears.

Frankie: I’m sure.

Frankie giggled again.

Frankie: Now, did you get the phones?

Viveka: Got ’em.

Once they were on the highway, Viveka sighed.

Viveka: Looks like you’re coping with this a lot better than I am.

Drops of rain spotted the windshield.

Frankie: Not really.

Viveka glanced at her daughter with concern.

Frankie: I should be thinking of ways to unite everyone, but every time I try, my mind goes back to Y/N.

Frankie sighed.

Frankie: I still can’t believe I blamed him like that.

Saying it out loud made her chest tighten.

Viveka: I can only imagine how painful that is.

Viveka rested her hand on Frankie’s shoulder.

The truth was, not having you in her life anymore hurt more than the betrayal part. You were one of her oldest friends. But her rational mother would never see the logic in that. How can you possibly miss someone who caused you pain? Frankie would respond with a beats me shrug and would end up feeling more pathetic than she already did.

Viveka: Maybe there’s a lesson here.

Frankie gazed out at the whooshing cars. She didn’t want a lesson. She wanted you.

Viveka: Maybe, you know, until normies become more tolerant, you could get to know some of the monster boys a little better. Those Wolf brothers are cute.

Mom, you sound just as bad as they do! Frankie wanted to shout, but she didn’t. There was some truth in her mother’s advice. Why ask for trouble? It made perfect sense. But perfect sense has nothing to do with feelings.

The heart space wants what the heart space wants.

Unfortunately, Frankie’s heart space wanted you.
-----------------
Dracula knocked on your bedroom door and peeked in when he didn't get an answer. To his surpise, you weren't there. He then checked the kitchen. You were still missing. He even went to the back yard where the ashes of his shed were still standing. The others managed to save a few things you had, but most of it had gone up in flames.

He sighed. He knew that the Monster Hunters wouldn't be stupid enough to kidnap you again, but he had no idea where you could be. He had a lot to do still. Now that the Monster Hunters were making their part in everything known, the monsters would be able to come back to their lives here. Granted, most of them were now on planes going wherever they felt safe.

Some had left you letters, but he didn't know if you had read them or even got them. Your uncle would be arriving around noon, having had his flight delayed, so Dracula felt like his first priority was to check on you. Draculaura had headed into town to get some mind of drink from Coffin Bean. The Maul was still a safe place for monsters, thankfully, and everyone knew better than to go after the daughter of Dracula, even if she wasn't really his blood daughter.

He found himself in the library where he noticed several books spread out on the ground. He stopped and opened the door more to see you sitting on the floor reading. Your hair was a mess and you still wore the clothes from the day before. You looked like you barely had any sleep.

He looked at the books you were reading to see that it was mostly history books. Both on Normies and Monsters.

Dracula: The older books are on the top shelf.

You didn't even look up. You just pointed up at the shelves. Dracula looked to see that that they were gone. He then looked down and noticed that they were laid around you among the others. He raised a brow and looked back to you.

Dracula: Is there any reason why you're reading all of my books?

You didn't answer. You just kept reading, an open journal sitting next to you with a series of notes. Dracula kneeled down and took a look. It was mostly noticeable events in history and information on monsters of all kinds. He then noticed something else.

He picked up and examined it closely. He recognized a few phrases. One that really caught his eye.

"Shadow Ban".

Y/N: You know what that means?

Dracula looked at you before looking at the journal again.

Dracula: Of course I do. I was there when it happened. I wrote about it.

You scratched your head before turning back to the book you were currently on.

Y/N: What is it?

Dracula took a moment and instead set the journal down on a nearby desk.

Dracula: Why are you conducting such research?

You gave a shrug. Your mind was filled to the brim with guilt and self pity. Your friends probably hated you after what happened. You just wanted to take your mind off of it. After getting back from Lovercraft Manor the night prior, you had been reading book after book.

It helped, but it didn't fix the problem.

Dracula: The Shadow Ban is what drove me from my first home.

You just nodded absent-mindedly. You were listening, but not really.

Y/N: I'm going to fix this. Somehow.

Dracula: It's not your mess to fix.

Y/N: Yes, It is. They trusted me.

Dracula sighed. You reminded him of a certain someone. The older man looked at your books and sighed.

Dracula: Do you need a particular book?

Helsing: Maybe one of mine?

You both looked back to see your uncle standing there, hands in pockets and a patchy beard.

Helsing: I brought some, just in case.
--------------
This Wolf was getting hoarse.

If I leave one more message, I’ll be talking like Demi, Clawdeen thought as she tossed the Motorola Karma onto her bed. Where is everyone? Why am I getting sent to voice mail? And why isn’t anyone calling me back? If it hadn’t been for the tower of Sassy RSVPs on her desk, twenty-seven yeses and zero nos, she’d be doubting her fabulousness in a major way.

Anxious to visit her friends and get some answers, Clawdeen peeked through her bedroom window for what felt like the trillionth time. It wouldn’t be long now….

The normie gawkers were finally packing up their cameras and heading home. A dead-end street inhabited mostly by “monsters” was obviously not where they wanted to be now that the sun was setting. Which suited Clawdeen just fine. She had been hiding out in her bedroom all day, subjected to the clang and clatter of Clawd’s free weights on the other side of the wall.

Forbidden to poke her nose outside and sniff the crisp fall air. Banned from playing music, turning on lights, or walking near windows—anything that might alert people that they were back. If only she had been allowed to go online. She’d have updated her Scarebook status to Rapunzel.

Confinement, however, hadn’t been a total waste. After sleeping until noon, Clawdeen spent fifty minutes in a fur-free shower with her fruit-scented products and a fresh Gillette Venus. She jammed her oversized Hideout Inn gift shop clothes in the back of Don’s closet and slid on a black ruffled V-neck and the Hudsons that gave her booty melon-scoop roundness. She painted earth-toned rainbows on her nails and packed a roller bag of toiletries and clothing essentials to take back to the inn.

Clawdeen dialed Draculaura, Lagoona, Frankie, Ghoulia, Jackson, and even Deuce. Still, she got nothing but voice mails. Fur real?

Suddenly, a thought more alarming than ADT rang through her mind. What if they’d been forced to leave too? The silky auburn hair on the back of her neck shot up. They couldn’t! Her party was two weeks away. There were playlists to discuss, centerpieces to build, dresses to alter, makeup to test, hairstyles to try, kiss wish-lists to craft, and Cleo’s un-vitation to draft.

Hhh-ugh!

Her headboard, a chain-link fence she’d spray-painted gold, rattled as Clawd grunt-dropped his weights.

Clawdeen: Enough, already!

She started banging on the wall.

Clawdeen: It’s dark out. The normies are gone. Let’s gooooooo!

The sticky rip of Velcro separating meant he was taking off his gloves. Awoooo! Five minutes in the shower, and big bro was finally ready. Clawdeen slipped on her crimson suede flats and grabbed her suitcase, video camera, sewing kit, glue gun, glitter paints, and the Sassy dress she’d been working on, in case they had to make another run for it. Preparing for the worst wasn’t something she’d ordinarily do, but two days in gift shop garb will do that to a girl.

Clawd: Let me go first.

Clawd held back his sister with a freshly pumped-up forearm. Sandalwood-scented aftershave, along with strands of brown hair, clung to his blazer. He reached for the brass doorknob with the shaky apprehension of a horror-film actor.

Clawdeen giggled.

Clawdeen: A little dramatic, don’tcha think?

Clawd: Says the girl with the luggage.

Clawdeen pushed past him and opened the door herself. The night breeze, a cool kiss on the cheek, was refreshing compared to the stale air of an abandoned house.

Something about the neighborhood was different, borderline eerie. Avoiding the streetlamps, they trespassed from one neighbor’s lawn to the next. Peering inside windows and rapping lightly on panes with their fingernails.

Signs of life were everywhere: recycle bins left curbside, kitchen lights on, dinner tables set, food in serving dishes. TVs tuned to Channel Two, muddy sneakers by front doors, bicycles in driveways….The only things missing were the lives themselves.

Clawdeen: Where is everyone?

She began tapping the mermaid knocker on Blue’s side door. The dolphin fountains in the yard were still spurting water, and the jets in the black-bottomed pools were whipping up frothy bubbles.

Clawdeen: It’s like everyone…vanished.

Clawd: Have you tried calling?

Clawdeen shot him a did-you-honestly-just-ask-me-such-a-stupid-question? glare.

The bloodred leaves of a Japanese maple rustled overhead. Clawd lifted a finger to his lips and held his sister by the sleeve.

Clawdeen. Relax. It’s just the wind.

Clawd: No. I hear footsteps.

Clawdeen knew better than to argue with her brother about his keen sense of hearing. It was even better than hers. She peered past his shoulder.

Clawd: It’s a girl. She’s running…wearing sneakers…sniffling…sick… no, not sick…crying. Stand back!

He forced her against the cold glass exterior of Aunt Coral’s house.

They watched as a girl ran by, tears in her eyes.

Clawdeen: Well, we can’t give up yet.

Clawd: Fine. One more house. How about…

He paused as if contemplating and then casually suggested Draculaura's.

Zigzagging up the block, they walked in what felt like an endless W. Up the side of one house, down the next, up one, down the next, with Clawdeen dragging her suitcase over uncut grass.

Finally, the old Victorian was next. Hidden under a canopy of branches and maple leaves, Lala’s house was the best concealed on the block. The inside was always dark, but the flicker from Dracula’s candelabra usually filled it with life. Tonight there were no flickers. There was no sign of life.

Car lights shone at the top of the block.

Clawd: Follow me.

He ended up disappearing under the trees.

Clawdeen tried, but the wheels of her suitcase kept jamming. She yanked.

Clawdeen: I’m trying.

The lights were getting closer. Clawd doubled back, lifted the suitcase with one hand, and dragged his sister behind a maple tree with the other. Seconds later, a BMW sedan with the license plate KRAMER 1 rolled by slowly, as if searching for something…or someone.

Clawd: We have to get out of here.

Clawdeen: What about Draculaura?

Clawd: She’s obviously not home.

Clawdeen: Let’s try the underground. Maybe they’re hiding there.

Clawd: Might as well.

Clawd smacked a falling leaf.

Clawd: It’s not like we can go home now.

The eight-block drive to the Riverfront was postapocalyptic. Salem was lifeless, ghostly.

Claqdeen: I’m glad we’re here.

She glanced at Clawd’s profile as he gripped the wheel. His facial features were perfectly proportioned. His eyes weren’t spread out like Rocks’s. His nose wasn’t as wide as Howie’s. And his lips were full, but not puffy like Nino’s. Even Clawd’s cheekbones were the perfect height. Compared to Don’s, they were like bunk beds next to a California king.

Clawdeen: Admit it, you’re glad I came.

Clawd: That depends.

Clawdeen: On what?

Clawd: On whether I get you home safely.

Clawdeen: Clawd, I’m only a year younger than you. You can stop worrying about me.

But she knew his concern went deeper than that. Worrying about women was instinctive for the Wolfs. The males were stronger. Their hearing was better. They ran faster. Those were the facts. Still, bravery and brains counted for something, and Clawdeen had come fully loaded with those.

Once inside the monsters’ headquarters at RIP, the siblings stood and stared at the stone pile of credit cards and cell phones.

Clawdeen: That would explain the unanswered phone calls.

Clawd was too stunned to respond. They walked back to the car in silence.

Had her friends really left town? An entire community wiped out by a TV show? Where was their courage? Their pride? Their etiquette? Didn’t they know it was rude to bail on a function after RSVP’ing yes?

Clawdeen: My Sassy is so not happening.

Clawdeen sobbed on the drive home.

Clawd looked at her incredulously.

Clawd: That’s what you’re worried about? Your party?

Clawdeen: No.

She sniffled. It wasn’t all she was worried about, but it was up there. For once something was going to be all about her. Not her brothers, her friends, the family business, or the RADs. Just her. Clawdeen Lucia Wolf. Not that she’d ever admit it to someone who was happy with a twelve-pack of sweat socks and a box of powdered doughnuts for his birthday.

Clawdeen: I’m just saying, we have to find everyone. We have to bring them back and make things normal again.

Clawd: If by we you mean two other people, then I agree. Because you’re heading back tonight. Our instincts to hide were right. It’s obviously not safe, or everyone would still be here.

Clawdeen: What about you?

Clawd: Coach said I could stay with him tonight.

Out of habit, Clawd turned onto Radcliffe Way. He quickly reversed and headed for their new spot three blocks over.

Clawd: I’m picking up my uniform, then I’m taking you back to the inn.

Clawdeen: Well, if you’re staying, I’m staying.

Clawd: Over my hairy body. I’m not taking responsibility for you anymore. It’s too much pressure. I have to focus on football and…

In an act of desperation, Clawdeen pulled the keys out of the ignition, jumped out of the car, and chucked them into the ravine.

Clawdeen: Looks like we’re both staying now.

Clawd hurried to the edge of the brush but knew it was too dark. Exasperated, he grabbed fistfuls of his own hair and pulled.

Clawd: Are you insane?

Thrumming with adrenaline, Clawdeen began making her way back home. Insane was probably the right word, but she preferred determined.
-----------------
You followed Dracula and Helsing through the hidden catacombs of the Dracula house. Draculaura stayed close to her father while you all transversed the stone halls. It was cold, you being able to see your breath, and dark. Your uncle used a torch while Dracula and Draculaura could see mostly fine in the dark.

Y/N: Where are we going?

Dracula: Somewhere we can fix all of this. We need to activate the Monster High protocol.

You and Draculaura looked at each other confused. Neither of you knew what this protocol was. You soon got your answer when you entered a large opening that was illuminated by torches. Standing there was a familiar monster.

Y/N: Ms. Bloodgood?

You rushed over and gave her a hug which she returned. You hadn't seen her since the last time you went to school. It felt like ages ago by now.

Bloodgood: I'm glad that you're safe. Both of you.

She looked to Draculaura. The smaller girl hugged the headmistress before you looked around.

Y/N: Where's Abbey?

Bloodgood: She returned home. Most monsters went into hiding after the interviews aired.

Helsing: And they have no way of knowing that it's safe to come back. That's why we're here.

Dracula walked over to a place on the wall and removed a stone. He reached in and pulled out a metal box, walking over to the stone pillar in the center of the room.

Dracula: Haven't used this thing in centuries. I hope it still works.

You and Dracula looked at it confused. It looked like it was a whole contraption. You noticed that the stone on it looked like the Monster High logo.

Y/N: What is it?

Helsing pulled the stone off, activating the box which caused it to open.

Helsing: This is the Monster Mapalogue. Only two of them exist.

You and Draculaura watched as the map unfolded and revealed a map.

You gently touched it before you noticed a place that you didn't recognize.

Y/N: Ever After High?

Dracula: You won't be able to go there. As of now, you're limited to the right side of the map.

You and Draculaura looked at the right side. You noticed a few places and began to wonder how this would work.

Helsing: In ages passed, Monsters used the Mapalogue to locate one another. But when the humans turned against the monsters during the great Freight Flight, they went into hiding for their own protection.

Dracula: So when I first opened Monster High, I used it to find others. To tell them that there was a place that they could be safe.

You and Draculaura looked at him in surpise.

Y/N: You founded Monster High?

Draculaura: Why haven't you told me this before?

Dracula: It was never relevant before now.

Helsing handed you the stone. It felt so heavy in your hand. Like all the burdens of every monster were suddenly in the palm of your hand.

Bloodgood: But, you can't do it alone.

You and Draculaura both looked at each other.

Cleo: She means us.

You both turned around and found Frankie and Cleo standing there. You were initially nervous about Frankie, but she smiled when she saw you. She rushed over and hugged you, which caught you off guard.

Frankie: I'm so sorry I blamed you for everything. That was so not voltage of me.

You smiled and hugged her back, just happy that she was here and safe. You both separated and the ghouls looked at the stone.

Frankie: How does that work?

Dracula: You place your hand gently on the stone and say the name of what monster you want to find. Then, you say the words to activate it.

Helsing: Extro Monstrum.

Everyone looked to you. Who would be the first Monster you find?

You held the stone and nodded. You then held it out and the ghouls piled their hands ontop.

Y/N: Lagoona Blue. Extro Monstrum.

The three adults stayed back and watched as a ball of bright light began to form around the four of you. In a flash of light, you were all gone.

Dracula: Hm. It worked.

Helsing: And they just trusted you about Ever After High.

Dracula shrugged. He'll deal with it when it came around.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 64 16
Y/N L/N is a half dragon who lives with her father and sister in a cave most of her life until one day she gets a invitation to go to Monster High. M...
248 2 2
Mason Van Helsing is an interesting character who is the living definition of the word contrast. However, a trip to one of the biggest tattoo convent...
387K 3.5K 37
Monsters can't seem to get enough of this one Hunter named Y/N and would love to get their claws, hands, paws, etc. on him.
135K 5.9K 61
(Y/N) Van Helsing, on of the descendants of Abraham Van Helsing, the man who defeated Dracula hundreds of years ago. With his defeat cam an era of mo...