Kenzie Gilbert: The Possessiv...

Av BeckySmolder

Kenzie Gilbert has slipped on some mom jeans and put off wedding planning. Legally, she's already a Salvatore... Mer

2: Red Stones & Arguments
3: Sick Of It
4: A Romantic Halloween
5: Valerie's Secret
6: Potentially A Killer Party
7: Romance At the Lake House
8: A Thankless Night
9: Doom & Gloom
10: Un-Merry Christmas

1: All Mom'd Out

1K 25 8
Av BeckySmolder

Chapter One

I groaned in frustration, turning off the stovetop as my food was sizzling and smoking. Burnt. The smoke detector was beeping incessantly, piercing my eardrums. Maverick was screaming at me to put on his kiddie show but I lost the remote and instead we were suffering through some reality TV show with raunchy women. Not to mention my phone was ringing over and over again, but my hands were full with a toddler on my hip and a frying pan being tossed in the sink in the other.

"Kenz?" I heard my name called through all the noise in the house.

I winced at the steam rolling my way as I ran the water over the burnt patties. Two hands suddenly grabbed me by my hips, tugging me back from the sink. "Whoa, babe. What is going on? Were you trying to cook?" Stefan chuckled, mouth pressed to my ear.

"Where have you been?" I snapped. "And can you please stop the beeping?"

Stefan's brows raised and he sighed, letting me go. He then walked away to take care of the smoke alarm. I left the sink running and headed to the living room to look for the TV remote. Maverick whined and whined, cranky as usual. "Mav, please, I'll put on your show as soon as I find the remote," I mumbled.

My phone started ringing again and I growled in annoyance, putting the two year old down on the couch. "Stop calling me!" I snapped, pulling out my phone from my back pocket to see who the hell it was. Ten missed calls from Matt. Ugh! Probably telling me he was going to be home late once again tonight.

Maverick stopped crying then, staring up at me with tears rolled down his face and eyes wide in shock because I yelled. I sighed, sitting down next to him before pulling on my lap, "I'm sorry, baby boy."

"Are you okay?" Stefan asked, joining us in the living room. I could hear that the water was no longer running. I sighed, shaking my head. "Babe, you're overwhelmed. Don't you think, having a babysitter would help you?"

I glared at him, "What would help is my husband."

His brows raised then, "You don't think I help you? Who cooks you two five meals a day? Who drove all the way to Whitmore to pick up your schedule? Who drove Jeremy to the airport at four in the morning today? Who stays up for hours with Maverick when he wakes up in the middle of the night?"

I sighed in defeat, "You've been gone all day and I'm starving. Maverick is starving."

"I picked up dinner," he said, coming to sit down next to me on the couch. I smiled weakly as he took my hand and placed a kiss on the back of it. "You're stressed out. You need and deserve a break. Stop thinking you are in this alone. You're not. Jeremy came to visit. And I'm here for you."

"I know," I sighed. "It's just a lot to do before school starts in a few more days."

"You're avoiding the subject. You need a break."

"I'm a mom now, I don't get breaks," I retorted, shuffling Maverick on my chest as he was dozing off now. Wore himself with crying no doubt.

Stefan leaned over to kiss me gently, "You're also a senior in college. Who is going to watch Maverick while you're at school and Matt is at work?"

"You?" I shrugged, smiling sheepishly.

"We talked about this," Stefan frowned. "I don't want to sit around waiting for you all day. I love Maverick but stay at home dad was never my ideal future, especially because he has his own dad."

"But he loves his Uncle Stefan," I pouted.

"I told you I wanted to get a job," he said, leaning in to kiss me again. "But... for you I'll wait. But you and Matt need to find a babysitter. At least for a few days of the week."

"If Mav is asleep early... and Matt is working late... how about you and I... spend some quality time in our bed. Alone," I said, changing the subject and leaning in for a peck of a kiss at a time.

"Don't change the subject," Stefan laughed. "Besides it's hard to make out when there's a two year old laying on your chest."

He then pulled away from me and stood up, "I got Chinese, I'll get plates."

"Thanks, hubby," I sighed softly. Then I carefully got off the couch, laying Maverick down on it and fetching a blanket to cover him with. After dinner, I'll take him up for a bath and hopefully he'll sleep through the night.

***

I pressed my feet to the dash, knees to my chest and my diary on my lap. I was often too busy to write in this for Elena. But not today. Stefan insisted I take a break before school started and the stress piled up higher. So, now I was riding shotgun, heading to New York with Enzo.

"Dear Elena,

A few weeks ago, you said goodbye and told us to write everything down so you'd feel like you didn't miss anything when you woke up. I've been way too busy to start until today. So let me catch you up on everything Mystic Falls...

Bad news first—Damon said the best way to keep his mind off you was to help Alaric grieve. So, in common Damon-fashion, he kidnapped Ric and flew him to Europe for a guy-getaway. I'm sure you can imagine how that's going. Obviously, we didn't send them there without a chaperone: Bonnie. She checks in more than the other two and she says they're doing fine. Think last place she checked in was Amsterdam, two days ago... So, Damon's watching out for Alaric, Bonnie's watching out for Damon, and I don't know exactly who's watching out for Bonnie, but I know she can handle it until they come home.

Good news? Matt will officially be Deputy Donovan today, he graduates. We're all very proud of him. Speaking of Matt, he has settled into the Salvatore Boarding house with Stefan and I. Maverick has his own nursery, courtesy of my husband. Yes, Stefan and I are doing fairly well. One day at a time. I love having him around, I missed him after the mess of last year. But, your son keeps us on our toes. He is walking confidently now, and getting his hands on everything. The Salvatore's have a lot for him to touch. It's exhausting chasing him around, but boy do I love it. I never expected to find a best friend in a two year old...he looks more and more like you everyday. Or like me too LOL! But I find that he's more like a baby version of Jer, who is still thriving in art school. He came to visit over the weekend which was really nice for us all.

We all sincerely miss you, twin sister.

Kenzie Gilbert."

I shut my diary, put my feet down and tucked the book in my purse. "Done writing already?" Enzo asked.

"Yes," I chuckled. "Now it's time to interrogate you. Why are we going to New York?"

Enzo raised a brow, "I'm going to meet a friend. You insisted on tagging along, remember?"

"What friend?" I asked.

"An old one."

"As in the person is elderly or...?"

"Well, motherhood sure made you nosy," Enzo grumbled, eyeing me up and down. "Still got the amazing figure."

My jaw dropped before I swatted his arm as he cracked a smirk. "I have terrible taste in best friends. Gosh. How did this happen?" I laughed.

"Who am I in company with?"

"Well, I'd have to say Damon and Tyler. You three really got me through one of the hardest years of my life. I love you guys," I said. "You're a different bunch than Elena, Bonnie and that she-devil."

"You and Caroline will make up?"

"I'm not actively trying to kill her, that's as far as it'll go. Sleeping with my husband is unforgivable," I responded, narrowing my eyes on him.

"You forgave him."

"Don't be so sure," I quipped. "That's taken months and months of work... mind you, life without him makes me suicidal. Caroline on the other hand? I'd breathe easier if she walked into a branch."

Enzo laughed then, "duly noted."

My phone buzzed then so I checked it, worried about leaving Stefan with Maverick for the day. Not that my husband wasn't capable of taking a toddler, probably more capable than me, but my nephew was used to me. We've bonded this summer. Hell, I've been gone an hour and I missed him.

"Stefan," I informed him, seeing the text was indeed from my husband. "He says that Matt reported some blood bags missing from the hospital, so he thought he'd check it out... and that Caroline is babysitting until—What the fuck? Turn the car around!"

"Calm down, gorgeous. She can watch a baby for a couple hours."

"No, she cannot. Kids don't like her. Besides, I don't want her around my child—"

"Your nephew."

"Same difference," I growled, glaring at him. For all intents and purposes, he was my son. I was his legal guardian. I wasn't sure he knew the actual difference between his mother and I. But she was going to be gone majority of his life, and I was all he had. I loved him like a son and I was damn sure never going to let anyone belittle my place in his life or his in mine.

"Calm down, please. We're halfway to New York. You still deserve a break. You can rip Stefan a new one when you get back home. Okay?" Enzo said, reaching over to put his hand over mine, holding my phone.

I took a deep breath, locking my phone. Caroline had my baby, but it was only for a couple hours. Matt's ceremony to join the police force was today. I was sorry to be missing it, but I needed this time away. Anyways, Matt would take over in no time and all would be right in the world.

"Okay," I forced a smile, looking at Enzo.

"Where to first? Breakfast or a tour of the statue or liberty?" He asked me.

I grinned, excited now, "Food first, duh."

"Duh," he repeated, mocking me with a smile of his own. I relaxed in my seat, turning the radio back up. I was content. My best friend and I were headed to NYC for the day!

***

I was walking the streets of Manhattan alone with a hotdog in one hand and my buzzing phone in the other. After a few hours, Enzo ditched me to go meet with his secret friend. I thought about following him but then I saw a food cart. I've picked up something at nearly every vendor I passed by. I've had a slice of pizza, an ice cream cone, an Italian sausage, falafel, and now a hot dog. Food tasted different as a vampire but after some getting used to it, I was able to shove my face with just the same amount of joy.

"Hey, whale!" I exclaimed, answering Damon's call excitedly. "What's up? Where are ya?"

"Amsterdam," he answered quickly. "Now, hey, question, why did your husband call to ask Ric on making a bomb?"

"What?" I gasped, halting on the sidewalk. Hundreds of people shuffled past me but I was frozen. "My husband did what now?"

"He called, saying he thinks Lily is back in town with her family of heretics. Then he said Caroline was staking out some foreclosed house that had the lights turned back on, according to Donovan, if we're supposed to trust his investigative skills. Now Stefan wants to bomb the house, I guess. Fill me in."

"I can't," I spat. "I'm in New York. And if these idiots are playing suicide bombers, where is my baby?!"

"What are you doing in New York?"

"Not important, Damon!"

"Okay, okay. Look, I'm coming home. I'll be there soon, kitten."

I sighed, "that'll help."

"Hey, I'm sure Maverick is fine."

"He better be."

Then I hung up, calling Enzo instead. It was time to go home before my husband did something stupid. My best friend answered thankfully, and he shared my urgency to leave now. However, Stefan on the other hand wasn't picking up his phone. I was going to be a widow. For sure, because if he didn't die from a heretic, I was going to kill him myself.

***

I hurried inside the house, listening for any sound. I sighed in relief when I heard Maverick giggling. With vamp speed I entered his room where he was sitting on his fuzzy rug, playing with toys. Standing above him was a teenage girl, if that. Somewhere between 12 and 16. "Hello?" I greeted, confused.

The girl spun around to face me, "hi. I'm Macy, I'm babysitting."

I scrunched my nose up in disgust, they compelled this kid to watch my kid?! "Hi, Macy," I said through clenched teeth. "That's my nephew-son, so, you're no longer needed here. Thank you."

I then stepped around her and scooped Maverick off the floor. "Okay, that'll be 200 dollars," Macy said and my eyes widened.

I scoffed, "which idiot promised you that?"

"Blonde girl and her buff boyfriend—"

"That whore will pay you then," I cut her off. "And that buff guy with the hero hair is actually my husband. Get it right next time or I'll cut your tongue out," I warned.

Then I yanked her by her chin, staring into her eyes as I compelled her, "sit in the living room and wait for your money, remember nothing you've seen or heard today. You babysat a two year old for a couple hours. That's all."

"Hi, I'm Macy, I'm babysitting," she grinned. I rolled my eyes. "I'll sit in the living room and wait to get my money for babysitting."

"Good girl," I mocked, shaking my head.

She left the room and I took a deep breath. I was harsh but I was furious. "Mama," Maverick cooed.

I smiled, turning to the toddler in my arms, "Auntie Kenz," I corrected softly.

"Mama," he giggled anyways, resting his head on my shoulder. Then he yawned. I kissed the top of his head, squeezing him in a tight, gentle hug. I was so worried about my baby boy.

"What just happened?" I picked up a new voice as the front door slammed shut. My blood boiled again as I recognized it, Caroline. I grabbed Maverick's toys and put them in his crib along with the toddler. "I'll be right back," I told my nephew.

"I don't know," Stefan sighed.

"I thought we blew them up! How did they survive that?" Caroline continued, annoying voice at a high piercing shout.

"I have no idea."

"Matt's whole class is dead. The new sheriff? Dead. All those people, none of them even had a chance to... God, what are you looking at?" Caroline was rambling on as I made my way downstairs.

"There's a splinter embedded in my neck, and I can't seem to get it out," Stefan mumbled.

Caroline scoffed, before chuckling, "Come here."

I entered the living room to find them standing less than a foot apart. She was working on getting a splinter out of his neck. My entire skin felt on fire. I didn't know which one of them I wanted to kill first. Stefan must have lost his mind, asking her to babysit, for help with a stupid plan, and for bringing the bitch back to our house.

"I suggest you leave the splinter and step away from my husband if you want to keep your hands," I spoke up to make my presence known.

Stefan looked over her shoulder to see me, his face washing over with dread and guilt. I had no idea what he's done today, but I knew it was nothing good. I stormed over to him as Caroline sighed, stepping away while sarcastically holding her hands up in defense. My husband had the nerve to smile at me, as if everything was fine. He knew he was in trouble. It was written all over his face that he was ready to smooth things over with me.

"Hi, baby," he said. "How was your day?"

I glared at him, silent as I grabbed his face in my hands and tilted his head up. I worked on getting the splinter out while Stefan physically squirmed, waiting for me to blow up on him. However, we had company, a girl who wanted my man. The last thing I wanted was to give her ammunition to talk badly about me, or try to get in his head about how I nag or yell at him. I could just see her twisting my words and trying to coax him into her arms, saying I should treat him better as if he didn't monumentally disappoint me today. Probably for the first time in history, I was disappointed in him. When he faked his death I was hurt to the core. Disgusted and heartbroken. But as unstable as I am, I understood what he did and why. Besides his actions were unknown to me at the time, there was no time for me to feel disappointed. When he left, I lost my mind. When he came back all I felt was pain over and over again.

But today. Pure disappointment. I expected more from him. My one day off from being a doting mom to my nephew after months. A day he insisted I'd take because of how stressed out I've been. And yet, he couldn't bare to watch Maverick for more than an hour? He passed him off again and again. Which furthered my disappointment, because now I knew I couldn't sworn on him. He didn't take my new parental role seriously, and by default his. He's my husband. If Matt was gone. We'd had a kid. He could not abandon our child to have a day of bombs or whatever the fuck he chose over being an uncle today.

"Well, Enzo and I cut our trip short after Damon called me... So how do you think it went?" I worded as calmly as I could, but I made sure they both knew I was displeased by my sarcasm.

"Thank you," Stefan whispered after I removed the splinter, flicking the small thing off my finger.

I turned around to see Caroline standing a few feet away, awkwardly. "You can go," I told her.

She scoffed, throwing her hands up, "but we need to talk about the town and—!"

"Caroline," Stefan interrupted, his voice sounded defeated. He knew better. She was done here. She needed to go. There was no other way around it. It was her or me. And he already made that choice, months ago.

"This town, and this house, these people," Caroline continued while I crossed my arms, giving her the courtesy to continue to embarrass herself. "If Lily thinks she can control five Heretics, she's insane!"

"As are you," I spat as she finally shut up to catch her breath. "Take a hint. You are not wanted here."

"Stefan," Caroline frowned, looking at him for help.

My husband sighed, "you should go. I'll take care of Lily. Okay?"

"Okay," she mumbled, glancing between the two of us with a frown on her face. She then walked away, leaving us.

I waited until I could see her back to speak up, "Oh, when you pass the fill in, fill in babysitter, pay her what you promised. And the both of you get the hell out and don't come back without my invitation."

Caroline glanced back at me and scoffed before, continuing on. And doing exactly what I said. I smirked, thrilled by her dissatisfaction at this situation. Then I turned to my husband.

"So what happened today?" I asked. "I want the full story. Every detail, including how you lost your damn mind when you involved that girl and how you asked for a death wish when you left my child with a child, a complete stranger nonetheless."

"Matt called me about missing blood bags—"

"Yeah, I got your text. You had that bitch babysit, which you know I wouldn't approve of," I cut him off as I walked away, heading to the living room so we could sit as we talked. I wanted to be with Maverick but I didn't want him to witness our oncoming argument.

"Matt approved."

I paused then, my blood boiling as I slowly turned around to face him with a glare. "You think that makes it okay?" I asked in a deadly voice, one normally reserved for anyone who dared to cross my husband I loved.

Stefan's face practically drained of blood, his indifferent look full of exasperation was back to guilt and shame. "No. I'm sorry," he said.

I shook my head, "then what happened?"

"Bodies were drained and hung up at Mystic Falls High. Figured it had to be the heretics. Lily wouldn't do something like that—"

"You don't know that for sure," I butted in. That woman was a psycho. And admittedly a ripper. We don't know where or what she's been up to for the last few months. Stefan had looked for her this summer and found no trace of her or heretics. Yet, this was his thought process? Not saying he's wrong but... he couldn't wait one day to do something stupid? Like tomorrow when he knows I'll be there to take care of my nephew and to give him solid advice.

"Matt said a foreclosed house recently had the lights turned back on. Had him and Caroline stake it out—"

"Problem number two," I cut him off. "You then left Mav with a stranger. A child for Christ's sake. And you put his fathers life at risk. What the hell is wrong with you?"

"He wasn't in danger—"

"You sent him to spy on heretics! That's dangerous! If he got caught, what do you think would've happened."

"But it didn't."

"No, instead the rest of the entire police class died. Right? Isn't that what I just overheard Caroline say?"

Stefan sighed, "Caroline and Matt went in, she was the distraction and he planted a bomb to blow them up cause they were all in the house."

"And how did that work out?"

"They survived, and retaliated on the police class. Started a fire and they all died."

"That blood is on your hands. Caroline's hands. Matt's hands," I stated. "You all should be disgusted, and ashamed of yourselves. Stefan Salvatore, get your shit together. Responsible is who you are. This impulsive and irrational man, is not you and it is not acceptable. We have a child we are responsible for. Matt cannot do it alone. Today is proof that. But you of all people, know fucking better."

"I had no idea it wouldn't work," Stefan argued. "I swear, Kenz. I didn't think anyone was in danger. And I figured the town is safer without heretics."

"They are vampire, witch hybrids that are centuries old and older than you. You don't think they could dodge a bomb made by the likes of you? That you, Caroline, and Matt could take the likes of them out? That sounds like literal make believe," I scoffed, practically amused.

"You sound like Damon."

"I'll take that as a compliment," I smirked. "Damon, has a tendency on calling out people for dumb decisions. He's also more clever than your plan today. He wouldn't have done what you did or how you did it. And if he did, you would be the first one yelling at him for the collateral damage and the fact he didn't get the damn job done. So save your hypocrisy, hubby," I spat sarcastically.

Stefan pursed his lips, "I get you're mad but I'm going to fix this—"

"No, you're not," I growled. "I'm going to fix this. I'm going to do whatever it takes to protect the rest of this town. Where my nephew lives. I can't raise him here if we're at war, outnumbered and lacking man power. So call Lily. We have a truce to make."

"Okay," he mumbled in agreement.

I shook my head, rolling my eyes, completely still dumbfounded by his actions today. It didn't make sense to me.

***

Stefan and I were currently packing up the boarding house. Negotiations with Lily Salvatore done. Her heretics aren't suited to be around people but they're refusing to leave our town. Therefore, we're clearing everyone out. Including ourselves. I compelled a two bedroom apartment for Matt, which he was in with his son now, and a neighboring apartment for Stefan and I next to my college.

Stefan and Caroline went about compelling the entire town, door to door to evacuate. Story was there was a a mining fire underground in the tunnel which explained today's explosions and loss. And due to out of control fires and lethal carbon monoxide levels, the town wasn't safe to live in. That's what Matt was handling, the police. With a little more compulsion we got to evacuating.

"Good thing Damon isn't here," Stefan said.

I ignored him. We had to give up the house. Yup, the entire boarding house to replace the house Stefan, Caroline and Matt blew up. Lily and her demon spawn adoptive children were moving in. I was beyond upset and angry.

"Are you seriously not going to talk to me?"

"Talk to Caroline," I snapped.

"Are you mad at what happened today? Or that I did it with her?"

I paused, mid packing my suitcase to look at him, "I am livid at both. The two go hand in hand. The last time you two came up with a plan, her mother died faster than planned."

"That's not fair," he said, voice finally raising.

"Life's not fair. And that's the damn truth. When you're with her, you lose brain cells or something! I'm looking for my husband, not Caroline's fucking lap dog, Stefan."

"I'm your husband when it's convenient, right? I forgot," he scoffed.

"Excuse me?" I quipped. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"No wedding. You won't change your last name. But I spend one hour with another woman and I'm your husband?"

I walked around the room until I stood in front of him. I yanked him by his shirt to tug him lower to my height, "you are my husband. Every second of every goddamn day. And I will remind you and any female that you're mine. Do not test me, Stefan."

His brows raised, "I love when you get jealous."

"I'm not jealous of Caroline. I have everything she wants in life," I told him. "I dislike her because she's a backstabbing bitch and a home wrecker. And I have no respect for her."

Stefan licked his lips, "You know I love you, right?"

"Oh, I know."

"And I didn't mean for today to go this way. At all."

"But it did," I said, pushing him away before he continued to seduce me. "I asked for one day off, a day you insisted I take for myself. And this is what you did with it. Now the entire town, including myself, is dealing with the consequences. So I think I'm well entitled to my rage."

"You are," he said. "But I am sorry. I screwed up. I know I disappointed you and I don't know how to make it better."

"An apology helps."

His hands grabbed hold of my hips, "I'm sorry, baby. I'll never make a decision without you again. I love you. And I won't let you down again. You trusted me to take care of Maverick, and I failed to do so. I promise, I'll make it up to you. And I'll do better."

"I want a normal life, Stefan. For Maverick. For us," I stated. "That means a safe and happy home."

"I know, Kenz. I'm sorry."

I rolled my eyes, slipping my hands behind his neck as he stepped closer to me. "I really can't stay mad at you," I sighed.

"Kiss me, prove it."

"You ever forget your my husband again and I'll kick your fucking ass," I said before pecking his lips.

"I'll never forget again, Mrs. Salvatore."

"I love you too, by the way," I whispered, kissing him again gently. "Let's go to our new home. Where we will be completely alone."

"Makeup sex?"

"It's the only thing that will fix this," I said, slipping my hand into his hair to tug it. "I am frustrated beyond belief, and we haven't had a night without a baby between us in weeks. I need sex. We need to have sex. You're frustrated too. I can tell."

"It was a frustrating day," he said.

"Hey, it's over. We'll bide our time and think of a good plan. Okay? For now I just want some peace and quiet with you."

"We have to board up the grill."

I rolled my eyes, "do we?"

"Yes," Stefan chuckled. "Anything we don't want destroyed needs to be boarded up."

"The only thing I want destroyed is between my legs. Can we have sex first?" I asked, pouting.

"Lily and her friends will be here soon."

"I don't mind giving them a show."

Stefan cringed, "No."

"Baby," I teased, letting him go. "Alright, let's hurry up and get out of here. I want to get laid. Today."

***

The following day, evacuation was taking place. Stefan and Matt were overseeing it, while I was walking around the square for the last time, pushing Maverick in a stroller. "Lorenzo St. John," I spoke up as I spotted my dear friend on a familiar bench, one that I knew for a fact was dedicated to Liz Forbes. There was a plaque with her name on it.

"Kenzie Salvatore," Enzo smirked. "Doting aunt, how are you, gorgeous?"

I narrowed my eyes, "what are you doing here?"

"Helping keep the things in town protected," he said, holding up a screwdriver.

"Getting that for Caroline?" I asked.

"She and I are frenemies," he shrugged.

"What's the catch?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"My own best friend accusing me of an ulterior motive?" He gasped dramatically. "Gosh, it's getting a little glum around here. Didn't know your attitude was included."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Have I not shown enough glee after uprooting an entire town of innocent people because my husband and the blonde you're trying to be nice to made a mess of things with Lily and her heretics?"

"So you're mad at Stefan and Caroline and you're just taking it out on me?"

I narrowed my eyes, "Who'd you meet in New York?"

"Excuse me?"

"Stefan called his mother for me to have her meet us to cut a deal... She was leaving New York. I find that an awful coincidence. And I don't believe in those."

"You think I was meeting Lily?"

"I know you were," I stated matter of factly. "It's not a secret to me that you have strong feelings for her."

"Perhaps."

"You were with her today. And I'm guessing you knew she was in town, laying down roots with her heretics," I said, pushing the stroller closer so I could sit beside my best friend.

"Is there a question counselor?" Enzo mocked. "Or a an actual accusation, Mrs. Salvatore?"

"One woman goes by Salvatore, I'm not her," I smirked. "And no. No question, no accusation. Just a friendly warning: watch your back, at all times. Lily Salvatore is no good for her sons, and she certainly does not deserve you. But, if you insist, fine. I understand. Cause I know you."

"You know me?"

I nodded, "Mhm. You love hard and you're more loyal than a dog. But we're at war. You cannot be loyal to me and her at the same time. Hiding the fact she was here led to Stefan's stupid plan. With more of a heads up, we wouldn't have been on the defensive. So yeah, I blame you. You chose keeping Lily and her Addams family's secret over me. And the safety of my nephew-son. Think about that. Remember the look on my face."

I paused then as Enzo pursed his lips, "I'm sorry."

"Do not be on the wrong side of things, Enzo. Love Lily all you want, but remember, when it's your back against the wall who do you think will come to your rescue first? Me or her? Don't burn a bridge with me, someone who would drop everything to help or save you, for attention from a woman you barely know. Because I assure you, my loyalty is with you. I love you, my dear friend. But if you ever cross me or endanger my family... I will ruin your life before I shove my hand in your chest, pull out your heart and feed it to those heretics you're in bed with."

Enzo reached out to place a hand on my arm, "My loyalty is to you, first and foremost. I swear to you, Kenzie. Is it so bad I want love? Stefan isn't perfect and he comes with baggage like Damon and Caroline and Lily."

I chuckled softly, "I want you to have a great love. Even if it is Lily Salvatore. I think it would be funny having Stefan and Damon call you dad... But it's not all fun and games. We evacuated our entire town."

"I understand," he said. "Look, Kenzie. I'm not on their side. I just want Lily. I'm your side, always."

"My side has baggage. Like my husband you don't get along with. And if you want Lily, she'll demand your loyalty to her and them. So like it or not, you can't have both. I'm sorry, friend. If you're on my side, then you don't get the girl. That woman won't trust you unless you pick her and them over me and my friends. And Enzo, you've been warned. I understand you feel you're in the middle. But if you cross me, there's no coming back from that."

"Lily does want me to pick a side. I told her I would never betray you. And I care about our friends."

"What did she say?"

"She walked away."

I frowned, "Be careful. I want tell you to throw your life away to be my best friend. I'm just warning you, don't get so close to her you make enemies with the people who do honestly care for you. Because I doubt those heretics will be welcoming."

"They're not," he frowned.

I leaned over and kissed his cheek, "I'm sure you can get the girl and keep our friendship intact. You're pretty charming that way. I'll see you around, mate."

"See ya, gorgeous."

I got off the bench and walked away, passing Caroline as I did so. She had a screwdriver in hand so I already knew she and Enzo would bump heads, having the same idea to save Liz's bench. Either way, I continued to the Grill to meet Stefan.

"How's Europe?" Stefan asked whomever he was on the phone with when I entered.

"Teffy!" Maverick cheered immediately.

"Ric was kind of "meh" on the Mona Lisa..." Damon's voice came out over speakerphone. I raised a brow at Stefan who put down his beer to come scoop Maverick out of his stroller. "Anything I should know about?" Damon asked and my eyes widened.

"Eh, it can wait 'til you get back," Stefan.

"No, no," I whispered.

"Well, I'm back!" Damon exclaimed suddenly, slipping into the grill himself. "Want to tell me who the hell's living in our house?" He asked us.

I rushed forward to hug the tall, dark, and handsome man. "Damon," I grinned.

"Hey, kitten," he sighed, squeezing me tightly.

"I missed you," I said, face still buried in his chest.

Damon chuckled, kissing the top of my head, "I missed you too." Then he slowly peeled himself away from me.

We both turned to Stefan who offered us both beers as he filled Damon in on the events as of late. Of course Damon did not seem to be taking it well. But I kept quiet until the end, drinking my beer and bouncing Maverick on my lap as he played with my phone, including trying to eat it every few minutes.

"The whole town would have been slaughtered," Stefan was saying.

"So we kill them and call it a day!" Damon snapped, loudly.

Maverick made a displeased sound, showing he was upset by the frightening noise. "Damon," I hissed. I then quickly soothed my nephew, distracting him with my phone as I put on a video for him to watch and kissed his head a bunch of times, apologizing for Damon scaring him.

"We already tried that," Stefan said.

Damon scoffed, "you sent Donovan to blow up a house. Try harder."

"Look, the deal has been made. We don't mess with them, they don't mess with us."

"That's very benevolent of you, brother. You should run for Mayor. Not that anyone would be here to vote for you."

"Look, what's done is done. Do not mess this up," I interjected, giving Damon a serious look. "No one is more upset about this than me. But my job is to keep this little one safe. And I cannot do that if you boys are at war with your mom and her adopted children. So get over it, both of you. This is the only deal on the table. That keeps everybody safe."

"You handed over the town, Kenzie," Damon said.

"You know, Elena wanted you to be happy. To live. Even encouraged you to date. But, if she wakes up and everyone she loves is dead, do you think she's going to be able to forgive that?" Stefan questioned.

Damon pursed his lips and crossed his arms, "Mom and dad have spoken then."

"Elena like me, cares about the people in our town. It's our home. And if they all are going to food or collateral damage, then I'm not sorry we forced them to leave their home," I stated. "But it's temporary, Damon. Until we figure out a way to drive Lily and the heretics out."

Damon simply nodded and turned around, heading for the door. I looked at Stefan who shrugged at me. "I won't be done for awhile here. You want to wait, help and drive home together? Or—"

"No. I'm going now. Going to drop Maverick off with his father then get ready for our date."

"What date?"

"We are now neighbors to a child, Matt has to step up. And that means, you and I can focus a little more on each other. So tonight, we're going out."

Stefan smiled, "okay. I'll be home as soon as I can."

"Alright," I said, walking over to him and giving him a quick kiss goodbye. He said goodbye to Maverick as I buckled him into his stroller again. "Don't take too long, I'm starving."

"You're always starving," Stefan chuckled.

***

I smiled as I slid into the booth beside my husband. We were at our favorite restaurant, where we had our first date. We weren't dressed up. There were no butterflies in my stomach. But still this felt good.

Stefan and I had an appetizer, two glasses of wine, an entree each and after I just used the bathroom it was time for round two. "I want to try the Cajun shrimp Alfredo," Stefan told me.

"Sounds good," I said, leaning in to peck his lips. "I want more spaghetti. And then more and then dessert."

"You act like you never eat," he chuckled.

"I feel like I never do."

He rolled his eyes, kissing me deeply all of a sudden. I scooted closer in my seat to slip my hands in his hair as I turned towards his body. "I'm not hungry for food," he panted, pulling back suddenly.

I cringed, sitting in my seat properly.

"What? You don't know if you want pasta or dick?" He laughed.

I blushed, smacking his arm, "I like food."

"More than sex."

"I didn't say that," I said.

He rolled his eyes, "I'll wait until after dinner."

"I love you," I giggled, kissing his cheek.

"I love you more," he replied, slipping his arm around my shoulders as our waitress came by to ask if we wanted anything else. My husband ordered a bottle of wine, two more meals, my dessert all at the same time and then asked for the check with all that on it. He then had the nerve to smirk at me, making it known to me he was trying to rush us out of here.

"I'll eat the dessert, and then we'll take the rest to go. Okay?" I compromised, amused.

"Better than okay," he grinned.

"Are we?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Are we what?"

"Sex is back on the table. But it's been a shaky summer. Are we better than okay?"

He sighed, "I would like to think so."

"But?"

"Some days feel like this... Some days feel like we can't stand to be in the same room as each other."

"I'm irritable, Stefan. I always have been."

"Not with me," he retorted, voice ever so slightly raising.

I scoffed, crossing my arms, "we have had the worst year after a terrible year after a shameful year. Okay? I am irritable with everything and everyone. Including myself. Okay?"

"No, it's not okay."

I sighed in defeat, "I'm trying, Stefan."

"I know," he said. "I just want you to see I'm trying too, Kenzie. I want to move past the messy parts of the last couple years."

"The messy parts of our entire relationship."

"Yes."

"So we're not better than okay. We're what?" I asked him then.

"We're married. Til death do us part," he answered, grabbing hold of my face by my chin. "We're better than okay, for sure. Because the only thing that our hard, messy years together have taught me is that we love each other more than anything so we can get through anything."

"You're not going anywhere?" I questioned, lips turning upwards.

"Never ever again," he swore. "I love you to the moon and back."

"You're mine," I stated, leaning in. "Forever and ever, cause I love you to the moon and back."

"Bit possessive aren't you?" Stefan teased. I laughed for half a second before he silenced me with a long, deep, and tender kiss.

~Picture: Stefan & Kenzie at dinner for their date

Here we go. Book 7/8. And what do we think about Stenzie? They seem good, but shit hasn't completely hit the fan yet. The heretics are here to stay. And the drama that comes with them... 🤯

But on top of that, there's still tension between Kenzie and Caroline. Unsurprisingly. Enzo's loyalty is being questioned. And Kenzie is settling into the role of mother.

Things are going to continue escalate. Are you ready for it? Any predictions for this book? Let me know what you're thinking and if we're ready for book 7!!!!

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

649K 16.8K 75
"You feel no remorse do you? You don't feel remorse for the people you've hurt, the people you've killed. They're just things to you." "That's not tr...
23.2K 800 27
Kenzie Gilbert has just been through a summer of hell and heartbreak. Her fiance and two of her best friends are lost on the "other side" with no way...
611K 11.1K 60
Cameron Ace Gilbert. The younger sister to elana, but older sister to Jeremy. The middle child. the forgotten child. Elena and pretty much everyone e...
231K 9.8K 36
Where a bored fairy leaves her homeland to travel around the human world. To learn new things and have adventures. Which she will and much more... Va...