Bravely Courageous

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Marguerite, better known as Maggie, and her brother are no strangers to the supernatural. Long before a loca... More

Aesthetics
Epigraph
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65

17

27 0 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

While walking through the halls, Stiles said, "I just talked to my dad, who just talked to Jackson, and I've got really terrible, horrible, very, very bad news."

Scott replied, "I think I already know."

Stiles frowned. "All right, I only found one thing online called a kanima. It's a werejaguar from South America that goes after murderers."

Maggie narrowed her eyes. "That thing was definitely not a jaguar."

Stiles shot her a look. "Yeah, and I'm not exactly a murderer."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I... Never mind. Poor comparison."

"No kidding."

Scott looked between them. "Okay, guys. Don't argue. Yeah, but did you two see it kill somebody, which is probably why it tried to kill you two. And it's still trying to kill you two, and it probably won't stop until the two of you are dead."

Stiles glanced to Maggie, then to Scott and said, "You know, sometimes I really begin to question this friendship."

During Economics, Maggie sat behind Stiles, and Jackson took the empty seat behind Scott. "Hey, testicle left and right. What the hell is a kanima?"

Coach entered the room. "All right, listen to me. A quick warning before we begin our review. Some of you, like McCall, might want to start their own study groups, because tomorrow's midterm is so profoundly difficult -- I'm not even too sure I could pass it. Okay, I need a volunteer at the board to answer the first question. Who's got it, huh? Come on, let's go, buddy."

"Paralyzed from the neck down," Jackson continued. "Do you have any idea what that feels like?"

Stiles exchanged a look with Maggie. "She and I are familiar with the sensation."

Scott frowned. "Wait -- why would Derek test you? Why would he think that it's you?"

Jackson shrugged. "How should I know?"

Maggie glanced at Lydia to see her writing something down. "Hang on. Are they thinking it's Lydia?"

Jackson met her eyes. "I don't know. All I heard was her name and something about Chemistry."

"Jackson!" Coach cried. "Do you have something you want to share with the rest of the class?"

"Um -- just an undying admiration for my coach."

Coach gave him a sarcastic smile. "That's really kind of you. Now shut up! Shut it! Anybody else?"

"How do we know it's not her?" Scott asked in a quieter tone.

Stiles let out a sigh. "Because I looked into the eyes of that thing, okay? And what I saw was pure evil. And when I look into Lydia's eyes, I only see 50% evil. All right, maybe 60. You know, but no more than 40 on a good day."

Maggie huffed and rolled her eyes as Scott said, "Stiles, that's not a very good argument."

Stiles turned to Scott. "I'm aware of that, but I swear it's not her. It can't be, all right? Lydia's fine."

"Lydia," Coach said, calling her attention.

She turned around to face the class as tears filled her eyes. Maggie frowned at what Lydia had written. Coach couldn't read it. "Okay then, anybody else want to try answering? This time in English?"

Scott frowned. "What is that, Greek?"

Maggie shot her friend a look. "No, it's not Greek."

Stiles held up his phone. "No, actually, I think it is English." The words revealed, SOMEBODY HELP ME.

Scott shook his head. "Derek is not gonna kill her without proof."

They made their way to the Chemistry room and Stiles said, "All right, so he tests her like he did with Jackson. But when and where?"

Scott turned to see Isaac and Erica with smug looks on their faces. "I think here and now."

Harris began class. "Einstein once said, "Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." I myself have encountered infinite stupidity. So to combat the plague of ignorance in my class, you're going to combine efforts through a round of group experiments. Let's see if two heads are better than one. Or in Mr. Stilinski's case, less than one. Erica, you take the first station. You'll start with -- I didn't ask for volunteers. Put your hormonal little hands down. Start with Mr. McCall. All right, next two."

Maggie's first partner was her brother. Eventually, Harris had the class switch partners. She was paired with Isaac.

Maggie asked quietly, "Are you certain it's Lydia?"

Isaac nodded. "Yeah, we're pretty certain. And if it is her, we're going to have to do something about it."

She shook her head. "It's not Lydia."

"We'll see."

Harris called another switch, and Maggie was with a girl named Megan, behind Lydia. She turned and faced the witch. "It's not me, Maggie."

Maggie nodded. "I know."

Megan sighed. "Can we please just catalyze our reaction?"

They did so, and Harris eventually said, "Time. If you've catalyzed the reaction correctly, you should now be looking at a crystal. Now for the part of that last experiment I'm sure you'll all enjoy. You can eat it."

Megan broke their crystal and offered Maggie a piece. Meanwhile, Scott cried, "Lydia!"

Lydia turned to him and glared. "What?"

Scott shook his head. "Nothing."

Lydia's hand lifted up to her mouth and nothing happened.

After class, Stiles, Allison, Scott, Caleb and Maggie debated what to do. Scott looked out the window. "Derek's outside waiting for Lydia."

"Waiting to kill her?" Allison wondered.

Scott let out a sigh. "If he thinks she's the kanima, then yes, especially after what happened at the pool."

"It's not her," Stiles said, glancing to Maggie.

"Stiles, she didn't pass the test, man. Nothing happened."

Maggie shook her head. "No, it can't be her. It can't be."

Allison pursed her lips. "It doesn't matter, because Derek thinks it's her. So either we can convince him that he's wrong, or we've got to figure out a way to protect her."

Scott glanced at her and said, "Well, I really don't think he's gonna do anything here, not at school."

Allison looked to each of them. "What about after school? What if we can prove that Derek's wrong?"

Stiles scoffed. "By three o'clock?"

Allison shrugged. "There could be something in the bestiary."

"Oh, you mean the 900 page book written in archaic Latin that none of us can read? Good luck with that."

"I think I know someone who might be able to translate it."

Scott nodded. "Uh, I can talk to Derek, maybe convince him to give us a chance to prove that it's not her. But if anything happens, you guys let me handle it, okay? That includes you, Maggie. I don't want you getting hurt."

"What does that mean?"

Maggie stepped back towards the door and barely managed to duck as an arrow flew towards her. It would've hit her had Scott not caught it. Stiles let out an awkward chuckle. "Ah. Sorry. Sorry. Sensitive trigger on that."

She shot him a glare and Stiles said,  "Sorry, Maggie. I swear to God I didn't mean to do that. It just had a-"

"Sensitive trigger," Maggie finished with a look. "Right. We need to get Lydia. Scott, find Derek and talk to him. Allison, find that person you think knows archaic Latin. Stiles, you, Caleb and I are getting Lydia."

Stiles, Caleb and Maggie made their way to the library to get Lydia. As soon as Maggie found her, she tapped her friend's shoulder. "Lydia, we have a group study at Scott's. Come on."

They rushed through the halls and Lydia frowned at Maggie. "If we're doing a study group, why didn't we just stay at the library?"

"Because we're meeting up with somebody else," Stiles told her.

"Hmm, well, why don't they just meet us in the library?"

Stiles hesitated. "Oh, that would've been a great idea. Too late."

"Okay, hold on-" Lydia began.

Jackson joined the group. "Lydia, shut up and walk."

Lydia did as he said, and they eventually reached Scott's.

Lydia questioned, "If we're studying at Scott's house, then where's Scott?"

Stiles bit his lip. "Meeting us here, I think. I hope."

She stared at Stiles questioningly. "Uh, there's been a few break-ins around the neighborhood. And a murder. Yeah, it was bad."

They walked inside and Stiles immediately placed a chair in front of the door.

Lydia obviously didn't believe Stiles. Maggie and Caleb didn't either. They'd spent enough time with Stiles to be able to see his tells. And they knew the truth.

Jackson turned to face his ex. "Lydia, follow me. I need to talk to you a minute."

Lydia sighed in annoyance. "Ugh. Seriously? What is going on with everyone?"

They headed upstairs while Maggie and Caleb stayed down with Stiles and Allison.

Caleb peeked outside and saw three werewolves. He glanced back at Allison and said, "Call Scott. Now. They're here."

Allison dialed Scott's number. "It's me." She then said, "You need to get here now. Right now."

Allison hung up and held her phone to her chest like she was in thought.

Stiles looked out the window and frowned. "Oh, jeez. What are you doing?"

Allison bit her lip. "I think -- I think I have to call my dad."

Stiles shook his head. "No, but if he finds you here -- you and Scott-"

"I know. But what are we supposed to do? They're not here to scare us, okay? They're here to kill Lydia."

Stiles' eyes brightened, and Maggie asked, "What?"

"I got an idea," Stiles replied. "Just shoot one of 'em."

Allison frowned at him. "Are you serious?"

"We told Scott we could protect ourselves, so let's do it. Or at least give it a shot, right?"

"Okay."

"Look, they don't think we're gonna fight, so if one of them gets hit, I guarantee they'll take off. So just shoot one of 'em."

Allison glanced between the werewolves. "Which one?"

Stiles pulled back the curtains slightly and looked out a moment. "Uh -- Derek. Yeah, shoot him, preferably in the head."

Maggie frowned. "If Scott was able to catch an arrow, one that you nearly shot me with, Derek definitely can."

"I said I was sorry! Okay, uh, just shoot one of the other three then."

"You mean two," Allison corrected.

Stiles turned to her. "No, I mean three."

Caleb walked over to the window and stood next to Stiles. "Where did Isaac go?"

Right after the words left his mouth, he heard something from the back door. Isaac walked in and attacked them. Maggie and Caleb raised their hands as Isaac lunged. He missed a hit on Maggie, and she took the opportunity to blast him back. He growled at her.

"Go," Maggie ordered.

"We will. Once we get Lydia."

"You're not getting her," Caleb told him.

Allison ran upstairs where Lydia was. Maggie followed shortly after, and Allison locked the door. Caleb and Stiles stayed downstairs.

Allison pointed to a clear liquidy substance that was dripping from the window. They realized it was kanima venom.

The door busted open and Erica appeared, shooting them a smirk. "Hmm -- this might make me sound kind of like a bitch, but I've always wondered what it feels like to steal someone's boyfriend. I bet it's a pretty sick rush of power. I think I might try it with Scott. You know what--I don't think it's gonna be that hard, because why would he be waiting around to steal ten minutes with you, when he can have me anytime he wants. Maggie, Stiles is quite the looker, don't you think? Maybe I'll take him from you. I haven't decided yet. I'd make a move before he's taken if I were you." Allison shot an arrow at Erica, and the she-wolf caught it.

Maggie's eyes narrowed and Allison snuck a glance to the window. Maggie shot Erica a smirk, as did Allison before saying, "Actually, I did. I thought you were psychic, bitch!"

Maggie knelt next to Erica. "The numbing sensation you're feeling is perfectly normal, so you don't need to worry. This is payback for the slimy spa trip, bitch."

Erica shot her a glare and Maggie's smirk deepened.

Since Erica was paralyzed, Allison and Maggie ran out to the front porch to meet up with the boys. Isaac was unconscious.

Derek looked at Scott. "I think I'm finally getting why you keep refusing me, Scott. You're not an omega, you're already an Alpha of your own pack. But you know you can't beat me."

Scott frowned. "I can hold you off until the cops get here."

Maggie heard faint sirens and realized someone had called the cops, which meant the sheriff would soon be arriving.

"Get them out of here," Derek ordered.

They noticed the kanima sneaking around on the roof and Lydia appeared at the front door. "Would someone please tell me what the hell is going on?"

They finally realized who it was, and Scott and Caleb said, "It's Jackson."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 91 23
Ania Stilinski thought she'd left her home town of Beacon Hills. How wrong she was. The night before her brother starts his second half of sophomor...
4.7K 264 68
She was living normal high School life. After the bite Anna Edwards was fighting, losing and, loving. Learning to work everything out and learning th...
126K 2.7K 54
( ON HOLD ) After being away from Beacon Hills for six years, Marlo Stilinski finally returns but with secrets, talents and a certain someone in her...
40.7K 579 54
Kasia Stilinski is no stranger to the supernatural, but being around a werewolf, a Banshee, werewolf hunters, and other such residents of Beacon Hill...