SAVANNAH ✔️

By LyssahTraicey

After Savannah is released from a ten year murder conviction she discovers life outside prison is just as har... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Epilogue

Chapter Six

8.1K 358 34
By LyssahTraicey

The boys had barely been back from school five minutes when they came back downstairs barrelling into the kitchen. Luke was still in his football uniform while Daniel's hair was all over the place as if he had been stuck by lighting.

"Boys calm down, what is it?"Josephine asked them looking up from the casserole she had been preparing.

"Did you do it?"Luke asked.

"Do what?"Josephine mumbled confused.

"She couldn't have, she barely manages it up the stairs nowadays."Daniel replied looking at his brother.

"You never know, she might have decided to surprise us."Luke suggested.

"Will one of you spit it out already? I'm running out of patience."Josephine demanded.

I hid my face behind the mug of hot coffee I was drinking amused by their whole conversation.

"Who cleaned our rooms?"Luke finally asked.

My eyes widened and I immediately put my mug down.

"Don't look at me, I didn't do it. There's no way I'd get into those pig stys you call rooms."Josephine said and they both simultaneously turned to look at me.

I raised my hands in surrender hoping I hadn't done something wrong. It's just that the state of their rooms had been horrendous and I had time so I took it upon myself to clean up.

"I'm sorry, I thought I was doing you a favor."I apologized.

"Are you kidding you did great? How did you get that stain off the carpet?"Luke asked.

"Vinegar and baking soda."I answered my face scrunched up in confusion wondering why they weren't angry.

Josephine had warned me that they didn't like someone going into their rooms but I couldn't rest easy knowing how dirty their rooms were.

"That's so cool, thanks Savannah."Luke expressed.

"You're welcome."I replied putting my hands down.

"Yeah thank you. Where did you put my uh.... stuff?"Daniel asked with a wink making me laugh.

"In a shoe box under your bed."I replied recalling the dirty magazines I'd found all over his room.

Luke had plenty too and in a way I was relieved to know they were both normal teenage boys who hid magazines like those from their dad. I had found more disgusting things but after working in the laundry room in prison there wasn't a stain I didn't know how to clean or anything that disgusted me. I'd cleaned the other kids rooms too but they weren't as bad as those two. The only room I was yet to enter was the master bedroom.

"Thank you and for that I forgive you for moving into my man cave."Daniel informed me.

Daniel had been pretty pissed when he discovered I had moved into the basement. Apparently he had been requesting Nathan for permission to move there but Nathan kept saying no. If I'd known it was such a sensitive issue I would have picked another room. I even offered to switch rooms but Josephine refused. I thought that I'd surely damaged my relationship with Daniel and ruined any chances of him ever liking me until now.

"I'm glad we're square."I said smiling at Daniel.

"You aren't so bad miss Savannah, thanks again." Luke added.

"You're welcome guys."I replied with a smile feeling proud of myself.

"Just don't get used to it, she worked really hard guys, don't make her efforts go to waste and actually try to keep your rooms clean." Josephine demanded.

"Yes grammy Josie."They assured her.

After thanking me again they left the kitchen heading back upstairs.

"Told you, you would be a great fit here. The kids will warm up to you slowly the more they see how great you are." Josephine encouraged.

"I can see that."I agreed enjoying the sense of accomplishment being useful was giving me.

"Help me here will you, today's meal is going to be special."Josephine demanded.

"Looks like the last supper."I commented finishing my coffee.

"In a way it is."She affirmed.

I looked at her quizzically wondering what she was talking about until I connected the dots.

"I've only been here two days Josephine, you can't leave yet."I demanded.

"It's time for me to go darlin', in those two days you've shown me that you're more than capable of taking care of everything and everyone. I would not be leaving this soon if I didn't believe in you but you've proven me right. You will do amazing things for this family Savannah and I'm glad you chose Woodcreek to move to."Josephine explained.

The old lady was being really sweet but it felt like she was pulling the rug from under my feet.

"I don't know ma'am."I mumbled.

"I believe in you so believe in yourself and everything will go great. The longer I stay the harder it'll be for me to leave so let me go now while I still have the will."She pleaded.

Josephine had served the Lancaster family longer than I was alive. She looked tired and after she believed in me and gave me a chance, I owed it to her to let her retire in peace.

"I'll do my best not to let you down."I assured her.

"Good, that's the spirit. Woodcreek will be good for you and you will be good for this family."Josephine insisted boosting my morale.

She had such faith in me that telling her I was a scared as hell to do it on my own would be of help to anyone. I just needed to believe in myself as much as she believed in me.

After that heart to heart Josephine and I got busy making a feast for everyone. She insisted that she wanted the whole family together so after cooking we laid everything outside so everyone could fit, the ranch workers included. I helped Josie set the table and set out the food we had worked our asses off to make before retreating into the kitchen.

I could hear everyone congregating outside for dinner and it made me smile but feel sad at the same time. Josephine and I had become close so I would miss her.

"Where's Savannah?"I heard Nathan ask.

"Kitchen."Josephine replied.

"Again?"He asked but I didn't hear Josephine's response.

"This has got to end today."I heard Nathan growl followed by the scrapping of a chair against the floor and his heavy footsteps headed for the kitchen.

"Shit."I cussed out realizing I was in trouble.

For the two days I'd been at the ranch, I had been isolating myself. If I wasn't in the kitchen cooking, I was busy doing chores or in my room falling in love with watching TV. I'd used every possible excuse to avoid sitting with everyone else during meals or socializing with them past a polite hello. Nathan didn't like that and it seemed like he had run out of patience for me.

I was contemplating what my next excuse would be when Nathan barged into the kitchen. He looked mad which made him even sexier. I had also been avoiding Nathan and keeping our interactions as minimal as possible so I could curb my feelings for him.

"Why aren't you outside with the rest of us?"Nathan gritted out looking like he was holding himself back from lashing out.

"I already ate."I mumbled using the poorest excuse I could come up with.

"Don't lie to me Savannah."Nathan growled the sound travelling all over my body making me shiver.

The determined look on his face let me know that Nathan wouldn't let me go until I gave him a satisfactory answer.

"I don't fit."I mumbled.

"What do you mean by you don't fit?"He asked looking confused.

I sighed in exasperation running my hands over my curls that were growing longer than I'd ever let them be.

"You guys are such a happy and close knit family and I'm too damaged for that. My past doesn't allow me to sit with you guys and actually be comfortable. I don't want to be in anyone's way so I'd rather just be by myself as long as I do my job."I explained.

"That ridiculous."Nathan scoffed.

"It's how I feel."I retorted unimpressed by how dismissive he was being.

"Well then how you feel is wrong. The minute you became an employee here you were automatically part of the Lancaster family. If you took your time to actually know us you would know that everyone out there has a story to tell that is not all sunshine and rainbows. Your past is not who you are and I've taken my time to observe you and see that you are needed here. Only you have the power to build a life here or ruin any chances of stability. We're a family here at Lancaster ranch whether that's your last name or not. It's time you start behaving like a member of this family by joining us for meals and interacting with us. It won't hurt to actually try."Nathan expressed.

His words cut deep and I realized that he was right. I'd moved out of New York to find a home for myself and I couldn't do that by isolating myself.

"Okay, ill join you."I relented.

"That's great otherwise I'd have carried you out there kicking and screaming."Nathan teased looking at me.

"We can still try that, I've got some more resistance in me."I teased.

"Get yourself a plate and some cutlery."Nathan demanded.

"Yes sir."I mocked and he got this predatory look in his eyes that had me clenching my thighs together.

Get it together Savannah.

I quickly snapped out of the trance Nathan and his magical voice had put me in and got myself a plate. I followed him outside hoping everyone would be as accepting as he was.

"Look who I have here."Nathan announced.

"Savannah!"Clara cheered excitedly.

"Nice of you to join us."Josephine smirked as I settled between her and Clara.

She had tried to convince me to join them for meals but had failed miserably. She looked happy that Nathan had failed where she had.

"What's the occasion ma'am Josie? Is there a holiday today that we don't know about?"Jordan or was it Jason, one of the ranch hands asked.

"No holiday, just a nice meal for my family. Ivy pray for us so we can eat."Josephine requested her.

We all joined hands and Ivy led us in a word of prayer. I looked across the long table where Nathan was seated and he was already looking at me. He winked at me and I blushed. I freaking blushed like a middle school girl. As much as I would try to get to know the family better, that rule didn't apply to Nathan. I had to stay away from him, for both our sakes.

"Amen."Everyone chorused ending the prayer.

"Amen."I whispered to myself as everyone started digging into the food.

I made Clara a plate with all her favorite choices before making myself one.

The set up looked similar like a prison mess hall except here my food wasn't limited and I could eat whatever I wasn't until I was full. There wasn't a fight breaking out in the corner because someone had stolen a carton of milk and people were actually happy and at ease with each other. It would take me a while to get used to it but I would try my best. Everything to me was about adjustment and I was pretty adaptable so I had faith in myself and my willingness to build a better life.

"Nice ink you got there."A tatted up latino by the named Raul complimented.

Nathan had not been wrong when he said everyone at the table probably had their own story to tell. Raul looked like a goon straight out of a mafia novel with his tattoos, muscular physique and handsome features.

"Thank you, you too."I replied with a polite smile.

I would take it upon myself to try and make friends with all the workers at the ranch. Maybe one of them would be the lucky man I'd get to call mine. My heart clenched with pain at that thought because I already had the hots for my boss. My body was rejecting every thought of me entertaining another man.

"Do you keep your hair short out of choice or because prison had a short hair rule like in the military or something?"Another worker, Allan asked.

"Allan that's an inappropriate question to ask."Josephine scolded.

"I'm sorry."Allan apologized though it was clear that he was still curious.

"It's okay and it was a personal choice. In prison you can have any hairstyle you want so I chose to keep mine short for hygiene and safety reasons."I explained.

It was hard maintaining kinky hair in prison with limited products and besides with a short length it was one less thing for them to grab during a fight.

"Makes sense, it suits you anyway."Allan replied.

He looked ready to ask me another question when Nathan shoved a piece of bread into his mouth.

"Enough with questioning Savannah, let's eat and talk about something different."Nathan demanded.

I gave him a grateful smile because even if I was an open book, talking about my prison life wasn't something I enjoyed. Nathan nodded at me showing me he had my back.

Everyone at the ranch already knew my story and I was not surprised. I had been warned that Woodcreek was a small town and news travelled fast. The whole of Woodcreek probably knew about me already but I didn't care. I had nothing to hide.

"Are you guys coming for my game? I've been practicing real hard so coach can get me off the bench."Luke asked.

"We would never miss your first game bud, you'll do great."Nathan assured him making Luke beam with happiness.

What I would have done to have a supportive father like Nathan growing up. My life would definitely have turned out differently. My mother would still be alive and I wouldn't have gone to prison. I would probably be working some well paying job somewhere, in a relationship with a handsome man planning our future together. Maybe somewhere in the multiverse, a version of me had that life.

"Grammy Josie, when are you leaving for Florida?"Ivy asked.

Josephine turned to me with a sad smile before turning to look at everyone else.

"Tomorrow."She announced sending everyone into panic mode.

Everyone was losing a mother figure in their lives and it was heartbreaking to see. It took a while to calm everyone down long enough for her to get a word out.

"I will miss you guys too but it's time for me to go. Savannah will take care of you now and I'm assured that I'm leaving you in great hands."Josephine replied.

Clara started crying and crawled onto my lap. It took me by surprise but I wrapped my arms around her offering as much comfort as I could. Nathan looked at me and I could tell that he was sad too, we all were. Even though I'd known Josephine for a couple of days she already meant a great deal to me.

Josephine calmed everyone down and assured them that even though she was moving away, she was would keep in touch and would make sure to visit. It took a while but smiles were restored and we were able to finish our meals in happy spirits. Clara refused to get off my lap so I held her for the remainder of dinner alternating between feeding her and myself.

"You'll be missed Josie but you've been great to all of us over the years and its time for you to get some time to yourself. To Josie, the best mother we could have asked for."Nathan toasted holding his beer up.

Everyone raised up whatever drink they were having and we toasted to Josephine.

After dinner we had pies for dessert which Luke and Daniel took upon themselves to serve since my hands were occupied with a dozing off Clara. We ate the pies as everyone enjoyed their last moments with Josephine before she left for Florida.

"I'll take her up."Nathan whispered picking Clara up from my arms when it was time for the kids do go to bed.

"Okay."I said handing her over.

He scooped her up and walked into the house with the rest of the kids as they said goodnight to us adults. Nathan had let them stay up past their bedtime but it was clear that they were tired and were just forcing themselves to stay up. I cleared what dishes were left and started loading up the dishwasher. I hand washed what couldn't fit into the dishwasher on the sink.

I was halfway done when Nathan walked into the kitchen after making sure the kids were in bed safe and tucked in.

"The guys and I are about to have some drinks and share a laugh, want to join us?"Nathan asked.

"I can't."I replied.

"What's your excuse this time?"Nathan scoffed.

"I've never had alcohol before."I replied shyly.

"What? How? You're twenty four which I still don't believe by the way, you look much younger."He asked.

"I got incarcerated when I was fourteen for a decade. I turned twenty one behind bars and they don't serve mojitos in jail."I explained with a hint of sarcasm in my voice.

"Sorry, that detail escapes my mind sometimes but tonight is your lucky night, we don't have mojitos but the best Texas beer, you'll love it. Join us."Nathan insisted.

I wanted to turn him down again but I had always been curious about alcohol and he was giving me that chance. I had to take it.

"I'll join you in a few, let me finish up here first."I requested him.

"Great, I'll see you out there."He grinned and walked out whistling to himself.

That man and his smile would seriously be the end of me.

I laughed softly to myself and finished doing the dishes and cleaning up the kitchen. I was a low key neat freak so everything had to be spotless. I shrugged on a hoodie since it was colder now that the night had fully set in and joined the guys outside.

"I was about to come find you, I thought you had changed your mind."Nathan said pointing to an empty seat next to him.

I sat down his scent washing over me like a comfort blanket. Josephine wasn't there so I assumed she had already turned in for the night.

"Guys this is Savannah's first beer so I want us to be supportive."Nathan announced.

I looked away embarrassed as ten men made a fuss over me having my first beer. Nathan handed me a bottle after removing the cap for me.

"Don't rush it, you might not like it at first but beer is an acquired taste."Nathan advised.

"Okay."I nodded taking a deep breath and took my first ever swig of beer.

I kept it in my mouth for a second before swallowing.

"What do you think?"Nathan asked and they were all quiet waiting for my reply.

I lifted my finger asking him to give me a moment as I took another sip. The second one went down much smoother than the first.

"Well?"Nathan insisted impatiently.

"It's not so bad, it tastes like something fermented which it is. I like it. It's bitter but there is an underlying sweeteness to it too."I replied.

"Told you, you'd love it. She's good boys."Nathan cheered clinking his bottle against mine.

Their support and cheers made me smile. It wasn't what I'd expected with my first group of friends outside prison but I could see myself being friends with most of them. I was the only girl in a group of eleven yet I didn't feel unsafe, not in the least. If I was being honest with myself a huge part of that had something to do with the gorgeous man seated next to me. His interaction with his kids spoke volumes about his character. Prison had also made me a pretty good judge of character so I could sniff out snakes from a mile away. I trusted my instincts and they told me that I was safe at the Lancaster ranch so I could let my guard down. It would take a while for me to completely do that but there was no rush, I had all the time in the world now.

"You are quite the paradox Savannah Grace Watson."Nathan whispered looking at me like a chess board he couldn't understand.

"No, I'm quite the open book."I replied.

Everyone knew everything there was to know about me so I wasn't hiding anything from anyone.

"There's much more to you than meets the eye."Nathan insisted.

"Oh yeah?"I challenged.

"Yes."He affirmed.

"Like what?"I asked puzzled by his fascination with me.

"I've yet to figure that part out but I will, eventually."He declared, his words filled with promise.

I didn't know how to interpret that so I took a sip of my beer and trained my gaze forward. Nathan seemed invested in me which was the opposite of what I wanted. Maybe he was doing it for his kids, to make sure they were in safe hands but there seemed to be something more. I didn't want to read too much into things, I'd just get my hopes up for no reason.

Two border collies one black and white and the other brown and white came running for the direction of the barn and immediately climbed all over Nathan.

"Who are these guys?"I asked with a laugh watching as Nathan tried prying them off him and failing miserably.

"This is Kane and Cora."Jordan replied.

"How come I haven't seen them till now?"I inquired further.

"Josephine banned them from the house after they chewed on too many shoes and ruined a couch. They are actually supposed to be locked up after digging holes in the cabbage patch. They must have gotten free somehow."Travis explained.

Raul had to rescue Nathan from under the pile of dogs he had disappeared under.

"They are Clara's dogs so as much as they are a menace we have to keep them."Nathan explained wiping his face.

"How does a five year old own such big dogs?"I inquired.

"They are actually babies, they just get big pretty fast. Clara wanted a puppy for her third birthday and I caved so I got her Cora. She said that Cora would get lonely so I got Kane next. If I'd known they'd be so mischievous I wouldn't have fallen for her puppy eyes."Nathan answered.

"Yes you would have."I laughed knowing how much Nathan adored Clara.

"Yes you're right."Nathan muttered embarrassed.

The dogs noticed me and after sniffing me out and realizing I wasn't a threat they disappeared into the night to terrorize something in the dark.

I had a great time with the guys and by the end of the night, I'd come to know them much better. I only had one beer because it was my first time and I had work in the morning. I was happy that even though it was the early days, my life was on a positive course. I couldn't wait to see what Lancaster ranch held for me. Hopefully it was a safe and happy place for me to begin my life.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.2K 928 29
Sarah lives a casual life. She does well in school, she has a decent amount of friends, and she lives with her mom but keeps contact with her dad. On...
12.5K 650 23
This is a sequel to my story Love Me Genisis. If you haven't read it please do. Vote & Comment as well please. Taylar Daughtry was a black girl livin...
58.1K 1.3K 34
*WARNING, NOT EDITED* Ashley was in her Senior year of High school. She is 17. She has had a wonderful high school experience and is ready to finish...
393K 17.4K 37
Jay didn't come from a place filled with happily ever afters. He was a black kid growing up in Harlem. Like most boys in his neighborhood Jay was dra...