The Purple Jade Palace: Princ...

Oleh LisabetMae

Now a prisoner in the Keglar Kingdom, Teal is desperate to escape and bring justice to the Talbecan Empire. F... Lebih Banyak

Prologue
Ch 1: Princess Aleria of the Lombock
Ch 2: This Is Me
Ch 3: Can You Swim?
Ch 4: Plans
Ch5: The Person In Charge
Ch 6: Exerting Power
Ch 7: Politics
Ch 8: The Guest Quarters
Ch 9: Arrival of an Enemy
Ch 11: Accusations
Ch 12: Settling In
Ch 13: Making Friends
Ch 14: Thinking about the future
Ch 15: Bribery
Ch 16: Making a Deal
Ch 17: Invitation
Ch 18: Passion
Ch 19: Plans
Ch 20: Sick to the Stomach
Ch 21: Ugly Conversations
Ch 22: Buying Time
Ch 23: Scheming
Ch 24: Rescue
Ch 25: A tunnel of nightmares
Ch 26: On The Run
Ch 27: On the Road
Ch 28: Mountain Town
Ch 29: Playing the Game
Ch 30: A Bump in the Road
Ch 31: Disguise
Ch 32: Checkpoint
Ch 33: Battle for Latrena
Ch 34: Gaining Bearings
Ch 35: Gratitude
Ch 36: Celebrations
Ch 37: Lovers
Ch 38: Teal
Ch 39: Apologies
Ch 40: The Lombock
Ch 41: Explanations
Chapter 42: The Everold
Chapter 43: A Surprise

Ch 10: Gaining Power

9 0 0
Oleh LisabetMae

"Mother," Prince Vox exclaimed. He rose to his feet as the Empress Dowager entered his personal chambers. He dipped his head and then stepped forward to kiss her gently on the cheek. "It's a pleasure to have you join me this evening for your meal."

"Son," she responded, her voice downcast. "Unfortunately, there is no pleasure in anything these days. Everything reminds me of the loss of my first born."

He took a step back, his eyes taking in her appearance. He had seen her on many occasions over the past couple of days, but he always forgot how hard she taken the news of Emperor Rathner's passing. Her shoulders were no longer broad, but instead curved and hunched. Her eyes were no longer bright and alert and were now dull and appearing disinterested in everything she saw. She also walked much slower and shuffled and not with her powerful strides that had always been filled with determination. It was as if her bones had aged thirty years over night.

"I know, mother," Prince Vox said, holding her arm for support as she settled on the cushions in front of a table that was already spread with food. Her personal servants fussed around her with extra intent and care, obviously concerned about her current state. They ensured her cushions were arranged suitably while her accompanying guards remained at her back. When they were sure she was comfortable, her two personal servants kneeled on either side of her.

Prince Vox ensured his tone was full of sorrow as well. "These are very sad and dark times indeed. The Talbecan Empire will certainly not be a better place without him. We have lost two great people in this family. Where is Prince Salren?" he asked, looking past the Empress Dowager. The evening's invitation had also extended to his brother.

"He informed me he would be late but will join us later," she explained. "It doesn't matter, we can start this meeting between you and me first."

She met his eyes, and he saw a hint of her old former strength trapped within the walls of her grief.

"Please, have a drink mother," he said, motioning for her server to taste her wine so she could start her beverage. "I didn't know you wanted to discuss the Empire's affairs this evening," he added. "We do not have any council officials with us."

"I wanted to discuss things on a personal level first," the Empress Dowager explained, taking a mouthful from her cup once her personal servant passed it to her. "It is paramount that we, as a family, are united and have the same ambitions and direction for our Empire. The people are my every concern as they always were for your father and for Emperor Rathner. I think there is a lot for you to learn."

Prince Vox tried to swallow down the sudden rush of feelings that flooded him; feelings of jealousy, anger and hurt.

"I have always maintained my studies on the running of the Empire," Prince Vox stated. "I am more than qualified."

"Yet, you never showed an interest for it before," Empress Dowager replied, never taking her eyes off of him even when she took another sip of her drink.

"Maybe before I had two strong brothers who never listened to me or let me show my true capabilities."

"Indecisiveness and a lack of confidence is not a capability," the Empress Dowager returned. "You will be watched and supported very closely. The only reason I have allowed this is because if anything happens to Prince Salren or myself, the Empire rests in your hands until his children, where ever they may be, are old enough to come to the throne."

Prince Vox didn't respond, but he allowed his rage to simmer underneath the surface. "I'm sure I have the same passion and direction for the Empire as you do. Please, have faith in me."

"Let's talk about one issue that has come to my attention then," she started, placing both of her hands on the table and leaning forward. Her eyes were cold and accusing.

"Certainly." He crossed his hands in his lap and tried to hide how his fingers were now fiddling.

"I'm not happy that the funding set aside for education and social wellbeing, has been reduced already," the Empress Dowager told him. "Empress Crael set up a great system with the orphanages and free schools. It helped to reduce the crime rate and small petty gangs within Dalenia and other larger cities. By cutting costs and resources, this could have a detrimental impact on the younger citizens of the empire. Education is important for all."

Prince Vox lifted one of his hands and drummed his fingers over the table while he thought of an appropriate response. "Of course, mother," he said after a few moments. "It was just an attempt to shuffle some money around to other areas that also needed funds."

"What other areas?" the Empress Dowager snapped. "The pockets of the officials do not need to be lined any further. The prosperity of the people means a happy people. See to it that it is changed back immediately," she ordered. "The council officials and myself will be reviewing the finances and matters of the Empire on a regular basis to ensure that funds keep moving suitably."

Prince Vox pursed his lips. That would be a problem if he had to move money around again. His newly supportive officials were already quite used to and happy with their substantial increase in pay. It would have to come from somewhere else. The healing centres, he wondered.

He noted that the Empress Dowager was continuing in a similar vein, outlining how the people of Talbec had always been looked after. Prince Vox tried to pay attention, but it was so annoying to keep hearing about how the old and sick needed to be taken care of and how people needed to recruited to be trained as healers.

His attention started to wander further when the Empress Dowager started to discuss the trading ports and taxes. Oh, it was exhausting and boring. He really didn't have the patience for this. All he wanted was to continue seeing that brand new young man who he had discovered the other night in the city. Tomorrow night maybe, he would order his presence and he, Prince Vox, would get to enjoy his attention in what would be now his tower. Maybe, he could get Prince Tolder to deal with all this. He was sure he would be able to find more money from somewhere. What were the use of taxes if he couldn't use that money how he wanted?

A pause came in the Empress Dowager's stream of words, and Prince Vox startled back to the present. How long had she been talking for? They had eaten and their drinks had been replaced by their servers on many occasions. He watched as his mother's gaze drifted off into the distance as her thoughts seemed to take her elsewhere, just like his had before.

His eyes landed on her servant to her left, her taster. The young servant swayed slightly where she still kneeled on the ground. Prince Vox could see the sheen of sweat that had started to form on her brow. The young girl swallowed, and her hands went to her stomach.

Prince Tolder hadn't been exactly right. The poison was taking effect much quicker than he had said. According to Prince Tolder, it should be another two hours before the server would feel any discomfort.

Prince Vox turned his attention back to his mother. "Mother, you look exhausted," he said. "You have not stopped over the past couple of weeks. Let's retire, and we can continue this discussion on the morrow."

The Empress Dowager's eyes snapped back to Prince Vox.

"Don't think I don't know what you have done," she whispered, her eyes narrowing.

"What do you mean, Mother?" he asked, trying to keep the innocence in his voice.

"You've poisoned me, haven't you?" she stated.

It was strange how calm and resolute her voice was. How unsurprised, as if she almost expected this to happen. Her personal servant beside her leaned over and threw up onto the ground. The other servants stopped and froze as they saw the blood that was expelled from the servant's mouth. The guards behind the Empress Dowager stepped forward, drawing their swords but little did they know, they had also consumed the poison in the water they had drunk throughout the evening. The Empress Dowager always allowed her guards to remain hydrated in the heat of the capital.

Four of Prince Vox's guards came up from behind and engaged with the Empress Dowager's guards. Four against two, and they were also starting to feel the effects of the poison. Amongst the bedlam, the Empress Dowager and her other servers remained exactly where they were as if the lives of two men were not being extinguished right behind them. The fight between the soldiers was quick and swift in their sudden weakened state. On this night, of all nights, they were not able to defend their beloved Empress Dowager. Their bodies slumped to the floor from the wounds inflicted. If not mortal, the poison would finish them off sooner or later.

"You chose a poison that takes some time for the body to process," the Empress Dowager wheezed. A thin smile came to her lips. "They're hard to come by. One that would take at least two hours to start to make their victim sick."

"Yes," Prince Tolder stated. He was surprised at how easy this was, although he hadn't expected to watch his mother die in front of him. He had hoped that she would die in her quarters where he wouldn't have to experience seeing her life leave her body.

The Empress Dowager wiped at a droplet of sweat that had started to streak down the side of her face.

"To be honest," she said, her voice full of spite. "I never thought you had it in you."

Prince Vox smirked. "Everybody didn't, but I made some friends who believed I could."

The Empress Dowager scoffed. "Friends?" she paused, and Prince Vox guessed she was trying to combat a wave of nausea. Her personal servant wasn't doing too well now. She threw up again and slowly eased herself to the ground where she wrapped her arms around her shaking body.

"Friends from neighboring kingdoms?" the Empress Dowager continued. "You are foolish. You always were."

The Empress Dowager leaned forward then and threw up onto the cushion beside her. Blood stained its materials, a dark red wine of colour splattering with thick droplets. Prince Vox couldn't take his eyes off of the pattern. His eyes snapped back to his mother when he heard her groan in pain.

"Do you think they will let you stay in control when I'm gone? I must... I must...The Lombock," the Emperor Dowager collapsed sideways, blood trickling from her mouth. "Prince Salren," she whispered.

"Oh, don't worry," Prince Vox stated. "He's next. I was going to see to him tonight as well, but I have a backup plan for him." Prince Vox frowned. Why did she mention the Lombock of all things? Before he could question it further, a cry of agony escaped the servant's body and she convulsed. With one last jerk of her torso, the personal servant let out a long groan as the life within her dissipated. Her eyes remained frozen staring into empty space.

Prince Vox turned his attention back to his mother. In actual fact, this was the first time he had watched anyone die. He wondered if it was peaceful for others because this didn't seem peaceful at all. The Empress Dowager began withering in pain, rocking her body back and forth. Her head lolled back on the cushion behind her, and her body started to convulse. And then, with one last spasm, where her muscles shook uncontrollably, the Empress Dowager expelled her last breath of air and her eyes stared vacantly towards the ceiling.

Prince Vox rose to his feet and tried to hide the fact that his hands were shaking. His stomach was churning at the sight of the mess in front of him. He hadn't thought about that part at all. At least he wouldn't have to clean it up.

Turning away, he moved to the balcony of his quarters and gazed out to sea. The moons were not visible tonight. The ocean was as dark and morose as the scene behind him.

He had just killed his mother. He couldn't believe it. Prince Tolder would be so proud. It would gain his trust even further, and his support. But there was something else that overcame him. It was sudden and so unprecedented.

He was free.

There would be no one standing over his shoulder telling him what to do anymore.

Prince Vox frowned. No. That wasn't true. He had one last person to see to and that was his brother, Prince Salren. 

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

3.3K 118 6
You are the spymaster to the King of all Kings, and the power that hides in his shadow. You have taught him, protected him, and suffered seven years...
21.3K 1.3K 88
SAVAGE JAXSON They know my name. They know how dangerous I am. And soon everyone will. I am the King of Assassins. I was born into darkness. Growing...
137K 5.7K 84
** COMPLETED ** Aphrodite Blackwell and her family moved to Beacon Hills with a sole purpose. And normally, where they go, death, chaos, destruction...