Convoke

SianaghGallagher द्वारा

Tom has always treated demons like equals, but he never expected to fall in love with one. Not Ezra, who was... अधिक

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61

Chapter 16

3.1K 363 114
SianaghGallagher द्वारा

I don't think anyone got a notification for the last chapter, so make sure you've read chapter 15 before reading this one! :D

- Sian

Tom had nightmares about demons. He dreamt of them storming the village and attacking the people he cared about. He woke in a sweaty panic at the crack of dawn. He wrapped himself in a blanket and watched the red sky until it faded to orange, and the sun peeked over the distant hills.

He heard Gerry get up with his niece and waited until he had left for work, and she had gone to nursery before leaving his room. He started work at eleven, and he wasn't in the mood for socialising, which was difficult when he worked with the public.

The demon situation had shaken him badly. What if more tried to hurt him? What if the rumour of him and Ezra working together spread, and demons stormed the pub to protect themselves?

His silence didn't go unnoticed. "Are you okay?" Declan asked, holding a bowl of cereal to his chest.

"Didn't sleep well," Tom mumbled to his dad, staring at the bubbling water in the glass kettle.

"Do you want the day off?"

Tom shrugged. "And do what instead?"

"Spend the day with Cal."

"He's working today too." Tom rubbed his eyes and ran a hand through his brown hair. "It's fine, I'll work."

"Well, if you want to take it easy and have more breaks than usual, I'll cover you." Declan finished his cereal and patted his shoulder. "I hope that soul stripper comes to the pub today. I want him to know how grateful we all are that he was at the right place at the right time."

Tom wondered what his dad's reaction would be if he told him that he had summoned a demon to save his life. He looked down to his ring finger and decided that some things were best left unsaid.

Work was slow. Tom was tired. He rested elbows against the dark wood of the bar, wondering if he should get a bowl of water and a cloth to wipe down the dust that was settling on all the patterned oak that caged the pub walls. But Finn appeared at the bar, wanting another pint of Moretti. "Why's the pub called Glass Horns?" Finn's friend asked, eyeing the pork scratchings behind Tom.

"Because back in the day, a bull used to be in the opposite field instead of sheep," Declan answered. "And one day it got loose and smashed the glass in the front door with its horns. The pub had only been open two days."

"I once went to a pub called Viking Viktor because the guy who owned it was called Viktor and he was from a long line of Vikings, apparently."

Tom couldn't cope with such a boring conversation and decided to wipe down all the dust when Finn started naming all the pubs he had ever been to. He was ten minutes into dusting the back wall when he caught a figure sitting under their old tree. Tom leaned closer to the window, and Ezra stared back, existing peacefully with crossed arms and black hair rustling in the breeze. When Tom lifted a hand and waved, Ezra motioned for him to join him outside.

"Back in a minute," Tom said to his dad before leaving quickly. The sun was warmer than the previous day. Tom had struggled to warm up the night before. The pond was a level of cold he hoped to never feel again. "Hey," he said, stopping in front of Ezra who was sitting on the wooden table.

"Hi," he replied quietly. "Are you okay today?"

"I've been better. And you?"

"I've been better."

Tom sat next to him on the table and rested his feet on the bench. Ezra turned towards him with large, concerned eyes. "An angel watched over the building until dawn. I've been watching over it ever since."

"Ezra, you didn't have to do that. You should have gotten more rest. Not to be insulting or anything but you look as tired as I feel."

"You look as tired as I feel." Tom smiled, and Ezra linked his fingers, relaxing. "You're not safe. That's my fault, I'm sorry."

"How is it your fault? I've insisted that I help you with this."

"We should have been more careful."

"Well, we can't change the rumours, we'll just have to prove that we're not working together to banish demons. Why would they even think that? Why would a soul stripper turn against demons?" Tom shook his head. "How do we show them that this pub really is safe?"

"I've thought of one idea," Ezra said, and Tom tilted his head to look at him. He really was beautiful to the point where Tom felt blessed just to lay eyes on him. In the daylight, his dark eyes were still an intense brown, but they were large and rich and full of depth. "I've seen that you're looking for a bouncer for the pub."

Tom snapped out of his daze. "Where did you see that?"

"It's in one of the shop windows in the town. I'll be the pub bouncer. That way I can help demons. They weren't wrong when they said that this pub had the most demon deaths in the county. Your locals are provocative. I'll remove anyone who is causing problems."

Tom wasn't convinced. "Locals would riot if we had a demon bouncer. And do you think you could keep your anger down? What if you were provoked too. I would feel guilty for the rest of my life if anything bad happened to you." He was very troubled by the thought, and Ezra could see that.

"I don't have any other ideas."

Tom didn't either. "I'll talk to my parents and ask what they think. They know what you did for me last night, by the way. I think you'll be getting free drinks for the rest of your life now."

"Jumping in that pond was worth it after all."

Tom chuckled, staring happily at the small smile appearing on Ezra's full lips. Jokes were a sign that he was getting comfortable. "I should've known you only had alcohol on your mind." He leaned back on the palms of his hands, feeling much better than he did that morning. As he glanced up at the leaves above them, he still felt Ezra staring. "Are you coming in for a drink?"

"Yes. I think it's best if I keep an eye on you for a few days."

Tom felt incredibly selfish for finding that exciting. "Well, I'll make it easier for you by staying near the pub."

"Good. I want a week off from saving your life."

Tom grinned and hopped down off the bench. He liked witty Ezra, who was still softly spoken with dazzling eyes that shyly avoided his. "Brace yourself, my dad will be loud about his gratitude."

Declan thanked Ezra until the demon was awkwardly nodding his head and edging towards his usual spot in the corner of the pub. Declan insisted on pouring him drinks for the rest of the day. With every new person who entered the pub, Declan pointed to Ezra and proudly told them how he had saved his son's life not once, but twice.

Tom could tell that Ezra wished for a hoodie where he could hide in the shadows of his own clothes, and dive deep into an old book for clues on the rise of violence. Instead, he had to pretend that he couldn't hear every conversation in the pub. Tom still cringed when he thought about how he had overheard his conversation with Cal. Well, I'm sure he knows that he's hot. He probably overhears comments like that all the time.

Ezra stayed in the pub until Tom's shift ended. Each time he looked over, Ezra was already watching him. Sometimes, Ezra would sit outside for a change of scenery and fresh air, but when he came back in, he would give Tom a small nod as if to say, hi, I'm back.

Tom tried his best not to stare. His sister had spotted him drooling over the demon, but he didn't think it was obvious to anyone else. At least, he hoped it wasn't. Ezra had heard him admit that he was attractive, and that didn't seem to bother him. But Ezra had been around for a long time. Tom could only imagine the number of different people he had met.

After his shift, he met Ezra at the back of the pub and in the dark bushes. "I'll watch over the pub tonight," Ezra said, crossing large arms over his firm chest.

"No. You need to sleep."

"No, I need to watch over this building."

"Ezra, I can't let you do that. I should get another angel to do it. They said they'd help when I asked one in the library about the violence."

"I'm not talking to any angel. I'll do it. I'm already here."

"But it's cold, and you're tired. Do you plan on sleeping in the bushes or something?" Tom took that as a yes when Ezra didn't reply. "I can't let you do that."

"I'll do what I want." Ezra stared down at him. In the dark, Tom couldn't really see his expression, but judging by how stern he sounded, he could picture a scowl.

"You're just as stubborn as me. How annoying." Tom looked back towards the building. His bedroom window faced them, and he made a quick decision. "Fine, I'll let you watch over me, because let's face it, you're only watching over the building because you feel guilty for pulling me into this mess despite me pushing my way into this mess. But you have to be inside. I'm not gonna let you stand out in the cold all night."

"But nobody can know about this. Us standing here is already dangerous enough."

"Then you can chill in my bedroom, if you insist on being so stubborn."

"No. I'll wait out here."

"No, you'll wait in my bedroom where it's dry and warm."

"No."

"Then I'll summon you." Tom felt no tension, he only hoped that Ezra wasn't getting angry. Silence fell between them. Distant music from inside the pub drifted across the land. For a moment, Tom worried if he had been too pushy. He had to remember that Ezra was still a demon with a short temper.

"Fine," Ezra said eventually. "Summon me. That doesn't mean I'll come to you."

Tom sighed, but he was determined. "That doesn't mean I won't try." He turned and marched back inside. He hurried to his room, glaring at Gerry along the way, who was watching telly too loudly. He closed his bedroom door and threw the clothes that were all over his floor into his laundry basket, wishing he had tidied up that morning.

He glanced out of his window, and Ezra was still standing in the shadows with crossed arms. Tom waited a moment, and Ezra stepped into the light of the bedroom that shone down onto the grass. Tom could see his expression now- a mixture of anticipation and curiosity.

He made sure his bedroom door was shut properly, and that the window was closed fully. With locked eyes, Tom said, "Ezrakhell," and waited. The demon didn't move. He kept staring as if to say, I told you.

Tom crossed his arms too. "Ezrakhell," he said again.

The demon did nothing but blink up at him.

"Ezrakhell, stop being such a stubborn twat."

This time, Ezra tilted his head.

Oh shit, did he hear that? Tom pursed his lips and tapped the ends of his fingers together. "Ezrakhell, if demons break in, you're not much use out there."

Ezra's wide shoulders heaved up and down like he sighed heavily. Then he disappeared, and Tom felt a cold shiver down his spine. He turned his head slowly. Ezra was standing right behind him, staring down with intense eyes that quickly shrank into a timid gaze once Tom stared back.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

60.4K 2K 19
There had been a war between humans and demons for a few years now, but despite all that, Raya hadn't really heard much about it since he lived alone...
149K 4.1K 45
When two lovers' best friends meet for the first time... lots of feelings can rise. Attraction, confusion, lust... love? Will they be able to overcom...
Being Single EthanEzekiel द्वारा

किशोर उपन्यास

155K 8.5K 24
Ethan, a gay teenage boy, has been single all his life. While his friends' facebook relationship statuses read "In a relationship", his remains a pit...
1.1M 53.5K 30
There is no one in the world who could possibly love me, I know it. I've pretty much resigned to crying under my covers at night as my boyfriend who...