sins of my youth. // Billy Ha...

By alias_b

Smut/Enemies to Lovers ***It was common knowledge that Billy Hargrove hated Hawkins. Hated Cherry Lane. Even... More

000 ➶ Welcome Info
002 ➶ A Million Dead Stars
003 ➶ To The Devil
004 ➶ No Day But Today
005 ➶ Skirt Safari
006 ➶ Hard Candy
007 ➶ One Bad Kiss Constellation
008 ➶ Because My Calendar Is Open
009 ➶ Everything Is Blue
010 ➶ A Little More Sin
011 ➶ My Heart Burns There, Too
012 ➶ Cupid And Psyche
013 ➶ Almost Paradise
014 ➶ Such Sweet Sorrow
015 ➶ Fires Within Fires
016 ➶ The Night Has A Thousand Eyes...
017 ➶ Heart-Shaped Shadow Box
018 ➶ The Neon Demon
019 ➶ One Caress
020 ➶ Rose Tint My World
021 ➶ Days In The Sun
022 ➶ Rust and Stardust
023 ➶ Cough Syrup
024 ➶ Tyger Tyger, Burning Bright
025 ➶ Thank You and Goodnight!
026 ➶ She's So Lucky, She's a Star
027 ➶ Just My Type: Bonus Flashback
028 ➶ A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes
029 ➶ Anyone Who Knows What Love Is (Will Understand)
030 ➶ An Awfully Big Adventure
Bonus One Shot ➶ Angel Cake

001 ➶ Fast Times

2.8K 52 80
By alias_b

A/N: Reposting an old fic. Flawed characters that I won't condone. TW: Light bullying, hints at an inappropriate relationship between a teacher/student, and teenage jerks. Billy and Evie start out as enemies who find more in common than they like. Evie is plus size and a woc, don't be a bigot under my story. This story gets dark at times. LOTS of 80s movies refs ;D Please leave words if you enjoy my writing, ty!

** ** **

A blaring bell trilled. Lunch time. So close and yet so far. Scrambling high schoolers like zoo animals clamored into the cafeteria. Knocking shoulders and bouncing around. No one really cared about knowledge today, the last day of school before winter break began.

   1984. Coming to a close.

   "Evie!" A hand rose to wave. One pink scrunchie around the elegant wrist. Heather Holloway. Cute as a button smiling there. Hands pulled headphones down to acknowledge her. Evangeline Fenny. Best friends since the sandbox and now seniors. "This stupid day is dragging."

   "It's killing me." Evie whined to herself, settling her beat up lunchbox on the table. Red and blue pattern, scribbled all over with song lyrics in black marker. "Mrs. Stockard fell asleep at her desk, I wanted to die."

   "She snores so loudly." Heather sparkled when she laughed, sweeping her hair back into a high ponytail with her scrunchie. Evie held a mirror up for her to see out of habit. "Thanks." It was particularly louder than usual. Teens pregaming the parties to come over the two week vacation.

   "Going skiing with the folks this year?"

   "No, they're going up to the cabin and I'm staying home after Christmas." Heather unpacked her lunch, carefully organizing it. Evie pulled a regular PB and J out, amused.

   "Sushi?"

   "My mom's going through a phase." Heather poured herself a bit of soy sauce and plucked up chopsticks.

   "Your rich is showing, Heath." Evie giggled when a foot kicked at her under the table.

   "Trade you a piece for half the pear."

   "Deal." They switched. Evie tucked some unruly dark curls aside, sitting back.

   "So...there is a party tonight. Loch Nora. Bunch of schools."

   "Which ones?" Evie's brow rose.

   "Ridgemont will probably crash, but who cares. It's winter break, we'll go and have some fun then crash at my place. Eat chips, make fun of them, and pass out like we always do." Heather bounced a little. "C'mon, Evie. I'll pick you up and we can walk from my house."

   "I'll think about it." That meant yes to Heather. She grinned, reaching across to pat her friend's arm playfully.

   "It'll be fun."

   Evie just whined and crunched on her pear, brows scrunching. Parties weren't the same since the incident. But, she picked the popular, social butterfly for her closest friend.

   The two couldn't have been any more different.

   Heather Holloway. Rich girl from Loch Nora befriending Evangeline Fenny, a Cherry Lane girl, in preschool. They switched beaded hair ties and the rest was history. Bonded over music and fashion. Heather was classically stunning as if she jumped off a magazine.

   Students used to make snide comments. That Heather kept Evie around because she made her look prettier. Sweet Heather shut that down. Loudly. Whenever the subject came up. Evie Fenny was a bigger girl. Plush. Fat. It wasn't a dirty word. She was a strange and pretty teen who carried herself too high to be bothered with comments.

   Water off a duck's back was the saying.

   Used to be she hid herself under big sweaters, tunics, and flared jeans. But, that was before the incident. Afterward, she came to school with a new haircut. Louder makeup. Even louder, fitted clothing. Flaunted the hourglass and caught eyes on her hips swaying. Sat next to Heather at lunch as if nothing had changed. Red glossed lips only smiled and the student body took to her. Those who stayed angry burned alone.

   Thick skin, no pun intended.

   "If that asshole Tannen shows up, I'm dipping." Evie decided with one breath.

   "I'd say that I'll protect you, but you made your point last year."

   Ah, the incident.

   "I'm never going to live that down."

   "It was legendary." Heather beamed, crushing her fist into her opposite palm. "Bam. Prick went down. My friend is Wonder Woman. Super Bitch."

   Evie broke to laugh, eyes rolling.

   "Truthfully, I don't recall it all."

   That was a lie, she remembered every second of it. Sometimes her knuckles warmed at the thought.

   "I just...didn't think you had moves like that. Your mom is basically Dolly Parton. You don't even like violence. You squirm during horror flicks. You love your cat, your guitar, and all plant life...and you beat the hell out of Ridgemont's golden boy asshole quarterback."

   It did earn Evie some Hawkins' fame. Ridgemont was their main rival. The Bulldogs. Football players found a soft spot for the teen.

   "Don't tell my mom she's Dolly Parton, that'll go straight to her head." Evie joked, popping her water bottle open to drink. Heather's big eyes lifted behind her.

   A flood of cologne wafted before two fingers tugged a curl. Little harder than they should have. Water choked to spill onto Evie's chest.

   "Whoops, you got all wet, Fenny." A tongue clicked. Billy Hargrove slid around the table. All his glory. Heather plucked up a napkin to offer it.

   "Watch it, Hargrove." She huffed down at herself. The yellow tee tucked into her jeans was soaked through.

   "Girls can't help it around me, I guess." He had one hand in his pockets and another cradling his silver lighter. Flicking it open and closed. Eyes narrowed. "Polka dots, huh. I had you figured for florals."

   "You're an asshole." She covered her damp shirt and bra with her striped cardigan. Thick fall colors warmed her skin. Noted the fact that he'd thought about it.

   "Whatever you say, Ivy."

   Billy knew her name. They were neighbors. Unfortunately. Right down to sharing the same space between their bedroom windows. She'd had dinner at their house. Susan Hargrove was new and eager to make some friends and Ms. Fenny was eager to be friends with everyone. Perfect match.

   Evie glared up at him. Fucking Adonis.

   "Heather, you going tonight?" He ignored his neighbor and leaned over with one palm on the table, back to Evie as he sat down to flash that darling smile.

   "Maybe." Heather gestured with her chopsticks.

   "I can work with maybe." He acted like the girl behind him wasn't there. Frankly, Evie was used to being invisible. It was better than being bullied. Most days. "Maybe I'll see you there."

   "Maybe you apologize to my friend and say her name right." Heather winked at him.

   "Who?" Billy stood and turned, mocked some surprise. "Oh. Evangeline. So quiet, I forgot you, chica."

   She wasn't sure if that was a jab at her mixed heritage or him just being a smartass. Billy rolled her name off his tongue like it was a joke. Like it wasn't a real word. Blue eyes alight at her stony expression. Sly and alert.

   The California transfer vibrated after leaving the basketball team before the season ended. Word was that he was persuaded to leave after some fight with Steve Harrington. Billy was a strange one too.

   Often, he seemed lax when he was alone like the world didn't matter. Other days, he was rocking and quick on his feet. Hungry and itching for something. Anything. It was a scary look on such a pretty boy. You could never gauge where his mind was. Where it would go next.

   "Evangeline." He sounded out again even slower. "Your mom lose a bet?"

   "It's a poem." She replied flatly, sitting back to cock her head at him. Billy snapped his fingers to point.

   "Sounds like the name of some chick whose man died in her arms."

   She huffed at him, leaning in.

   "...That would be what the poem is about."

   "Fucking depressing." Billy tapped his chin. "I got it. I'm going to call you, Angel. I won't forget that."

   "You are not calling me-"

   "Trying to compromise with you, Fenny. You cast the first stone." Billy flicked his eyes to Heather. "Bring your friend with you to the party, Heather. Some guys like angel cake." He winked and slunk off to his band of merry assholes. This school worshiped him. Kissed the ground he walked on since he started in fall.

   "What a fucking slimeball." Evie grumbled to herself, stuffing trash aside to ball it up. Thought about tossing it at Billy's big head. Heather gave this conflicted look as if to say, but he's cute, right?

   "Ignore him."

   "Bad enough his family moved in next to me." They packed up their lunches. "God, I want a smoke so bad."

   She didn't keep the habit up just to save her singing voice. Her mom picked up cigarettes only after the divorce last year. Smoked out her window and hid it, but Evie knew. No judgment there. Better than other habits moms pick up after divorces.

   "I'll pick you up at seven tonight?" Heather walked out with her after the bell rang.

   "Yeah, I'll see you in fifth." Evie turned to go to her locker and stuffed the lunchbox away. Grabbed a book to hurry to class. History. Three more periods left. Students fidgeted around her.

   "Hey, Evie." Steve Harrington batted his eyes at her. Friendly enough these days after he left the popular cliche and broke up with Nancy Wheeler. Sometimes having your heart stopped on made you nicer. Not always. "You, ah, do the paper?"

   "All six pages." Evie set it on her desk. "You?"

   "I made an attempt." It was strange because Steve never gave her the time of day before this year. Maybe the guy was lonely. He tapped his pencil and the chatter quieted when their teacher walked in. Late as always.

   "Class, pass your papers to the front."

   "Hopefully they don't come back with red wine stains." Robin mumbled behind her, one leg crossed up so she could draw on the rubber side of her sneakers. Evie caught a snort, taking the papers to pass them along. "I like the jacket."

   "Thanks. New haircut?"

   "My own dad didn't notice." Robin beamed.

   "Psst, Evie." A note flicked on her desk. Tammy Thompson. Pretty girl, kind of shy. "To Steve."

   Evie considered herself a professional middle man for lovesick note passing. Discreetly, she gave it to Steve, head cocking. He furrowed his brow upon seeing it, but wrote back.

   Whatever the reply, it made Tammy's shoulders fall.

   AP Biology was next. Teacher treated it like his kingdom and didn't pose much of a challenge because he was disorganized as hell. Evie was relieved to share the class with Heather.

   Billy, Tommy, and Carol also had it too. Hargrove bitched for a week about how the other science classes had no openings. Strange because he wasn't an idiot. Still got his work in and maintained a B average. Probably due to his dad. Neil Hargrove seemed like a real hardass. And all of Cherry Lane had heard him and Billy arguing at some point.

   Evie might have also witnessed some more physical spats through the windows.

   She figured it was why Billy hated her. She knew something about him. Something he hid because it made him feel smaller. He caught her eyes once and barked nastily before taking off in his Camaro. A gust of smoke.

   She never brought it up.

   Dads could be real assholes.

   "Watch the movie. Fill out the worksheet." Their teacher was as ready for this day to be over as the students were. Lights went down. Yawns followed. Evie propped her elbow up on the high lab table she shared with Heather, doodling new lyrics between answering questions.

   A crumpled paper hit her hair. Stuck into brown curls. Heather turned back to glare at Tommy shrugging with a sleazy grin.

   He was no artist. Evie smoothed it for a wide, big lipped and breasted caricature of herself. She drew on it and scribbled a note back. Smiling sweeter when she flicked it at his chest. Carol and Billy leaned in on either side to see Tommy's expression sour because Evie gave him nothing.

   "You got my hair all wrong." She'd written. Fixing it for him.

   Billy snorted and turned back to defacing his textbook.

   "Bitch." Tommy muttered to himself, tossing it away. Evie finished her sheet, dug for her compact to reapply a lip color. Caught Billy behind her. Intent on whatever vulgar drawing his mind was concocting. Blue eyes flicked like he'd been aware of her this entire time.

   The mirror snapped shut.

** ** **

   Study hall. Last period of the day. Most kids who had it were skipping out early during the hour. Slipping away one by one through the library. Evie was one of those kids.

   "Leaving so soon, Miss Fenny?" The smooth as silk voice lowered, startled her enough to drop her notebooks and folders.

   "Fr...Mr. Bowers." Evie dropped before her English teacher standing so close to her. Second period. Been in Hawkins three years teaching the junior and senior classes. Fredrick Bowers. Dream of a man to all the teen girls. "Sorry." She bit her bottom lip, eyes lifting to see him and his shadow blocking the light from touching her.

   "No, I'm sorry, Evie. I figured you'd heard me coming." Sky blue eyes centered on Evie there before he came to one knee. Helped her gather lose papers strewn about.   

   Mr. Bowers had a name and face all the teen girls drew little hearts around in pink gel pen.

   Evie thought she saw those same cartoon hearts bubbling up behind his back. Popping like gum. Styled toffee blond locks, trimmed mustache, and groomed side burns. A simple patterned shirt tucked into fitted slacks with the sleeves rolled up. Never a tie. Something groovy about him that stuck from the seventies. Mid thirties and hell of a smile.

   Evie tucked hair aside, displayed her blush in full view obscenely when he flashed those sparkly whites at her. Eyes crinkling.

   "I'll warn you next time."

   Her heart plucked like a song when their fingers brushed. Dashing and broad. A Jane Austen character come to life. Enough to make any young girl melt. And how quickly she did.

   "Next time." Evie gave this scoff. Pulling her notes close as they both came to their feet with hard intent eyes.

   "I wanted to give you something. A book to read over the break." He pulled it from his leather messenger bag and peered around.

   "An assignment?" Evie sparkled at him so he was lighter.

   "No, it's just because I believe you're so clever and mature. I think you'll read it with an open mind and we can talk about it like we talked about all the others. It's complicated material. I, ah, really shouldn't be giving you this book." He offered it. "But, there were quite a few I wasn't allowed to give you. After that chat we had over The Crucible. I'm just so fascinated by what you think."

   "Lolita. I know what happens in this one." Evie peered at the battered title. Rough paper between her fingers, it was clearly an old copy. She peered at his chest instead of his eyes. "We-"

   "Don't you miss talking? You know. Last year. Someone who knows what you're going through. I want all my students to be comfortable around me."

   "I am comfortable, we..." Evie glanced as someone passed far down the hallway.

   Bowers helped her after her dad left. A shoulder. A confidant. A crush that... She felt her heart close in on itself.

   "I thought you said we couldn't anymore."

   "I miss you." He whispered that. Lush and blunt. She barely heard it. Eyes snapped up.

   Someone missed her. Someone wanted to listen. Someone who saw her depth.

   His wife left him before he came to Hawkins. Evie learned a great deal about her too.

   "I won't tell, I never do." She hid it away into her bag, matched his tone. "We can...talk. Not here."

   "Good." He swallowed. "I just think you blossom under guidance and support. I always knew you were one of those girls."

   Evie blushed again. Eyes on her shoes.

   "I wanted to say I was impressed with your paper as well. As always." Fredrick gave her arm a pat and left his hand there. Fingers pressed into the knit fabric of her cardigan. His lip twitched.

   "Good. That's...I'm glad." Evie's eyes flickered over stormy blue ones, swaying. Lashes gave a dreamy bat. "I was thinking, ah, about you when I wrote it."

   "Really, you should speak up in class more." Fredrick gave her one subtle squeeze and dropped his hand. "All those funny poems you shared last year."

   "My songs." Evie corrected softer and he only smiled to nod.

   "Right." An idle step backwards before he leaned over her. A great deal taller. The shadow crept over her eyes this time. "You have a Merry Christmas, dear. And speak up again in class, Evie. You know I love to hear from you."

   A sensation like a fizzling sparkler glowed in her belly. Out her spine. Spread over skin.

   "I know." She giggled at him, peering around. "Merry Christmas, Mr. B. We'll talk."

   "Small town, I'm sure I'll see you out and about." A wink and he was gliding off. Shoulders back and chest perched high.

   "You might." Evie swooned against her locker. Watched him go. Gasped a breath into her lungs. Swept all the clouds aside to fill her backpack with work. He made her feel so special, like no one ever could.

    "Anyone..." She sang to herself, "who knows what love is..." Fingers plucked up a final book. Evie hummed and thought of small cartoon blue birds spinning around her head as she went into the restroom. Washed her hands and lingered to see her reflection.

   Evie was in a strange place. In and out of her skin. Torn between love and hate for her body.

   Usually, it just took a brave face. Her dad always used to tilt her chin and tell her to put on her bravest face before leaving home.

   She hoped the one she chose was convincing.

   Her mom would always spin her favorite Bible or Dolly Parton quotes. Which helped on occasion even if she wasn't sure which source the words came from half the time.

   A sigh. This was her flesh. She'd live in it as best she could. Dreamed herself into something better.

   Footsteps hurried down the hallway until the door shoved open. Humming cut.

   "Hargrove!" She gasped, dropping her messenger bag. "Billy, you can't be in here!"

   "God damn it, Fenny. You again?" Billy skidded to hush her. Pressed them back into the wall. The heat of his body engulfed her frame, standing a good few inches taller. "Do me a fucking solid. Hide this for me."

   Billy had no sense of boundaries because he was stuffing a baggie into her front jean pocket.

   "What are you doing?" She seethed at him, smacking his arms off her to put some distance. "Get off me!"

   "Don't say a word. Got it?" Billy lifted a finger with an intent look. Smelled of leather and his heavy cologne. Hairspray too. It all overshadowed the cigarette scent. He smoothed his tee out and turned to see the door. Scrambling like a spider, Billy jumped up on the toilet, threw his messenger bag outside, and pulled himself up. Wiggled his way out.

   Evie heard a thud and groan.

   "What the fuck?" She whispered, more so to herself as he disappeared. Hands pulled what was clearly concealed weed bundled up several times and bagged from her pocket. "Shit." More footsteps before the door burst as she shoved it away.

   "You see that Hard-grove kid?" A thick accent asked. Security guy. Useless.

   "Uh!" Evie pulled her bag up. "Who?...This is the ladies room! Can't a girl have a moment here?"

   "Sorry!" He cringed away before she jumped into mushy period talk. It always worked.

   Evie rolled her eyes and marched out to find Billy. Casual as can be, he tossed his bag into the trunk of his car and stilled to light a cigarette. Grumbling, steps hurried up the hill.

   "Asshole!" She tossed the weed at his chest, made him catch it awkwardly and stuff it into the trunk with a hiss.

   "Keep a lid on it, will you?" He slammed it shut. No one was around to see them.

   "Don't do that shit again." She pushed into him to go, Billy's big hand wrapped around her wrist. Tugged her square into his chest. An unkind grin swept.

   "I had you figured, didn't I? You didn't say anything." Billy blew smoke into the air, plucked the cigarette out to flick it with his free hand.

   "Let go." Evie huffed. "I would have been in deep shit too for that." She wiggled and pushed at his chest.

   Billy flicked his bright eyes over hers. So brown they looked black in winter. He never noticed that she had a dusting of freckles across her nose and cheeks like he did. Pale for a girl with darker features. Indiana falls and winters must have taken the color right out of her. Looked like a lot of the mixed gals he knew back home.

   Big curls. Soft and curvy.

   Angry at him over something he did.

   There's no place like home, he figured.

   "You're so weak." Billy laughed at her. Took another drag. "They told me you freaked out on a guy last year."

   "You want to be next?" She twisted away from him and turned. It wasn't a real threat. He's seen her tend to plants like they were humans. Feed neighborhood cats and nurse her own. Old black cat with not long left. Little fucker was always creeping him out from her bedroom window. Constantly staring with huge green eyes like it knew something Billy didn't.

   "Babysit your own weed."

   "You walking home?" Billy was relentless, voice lifting.

   Evie huffed and turned.

   "What, are you going to say I probably need the exercise? My bike chain broke."

   "Christ, I was gonna offer a ride. Figured I owed you for saving my damn weed and my break. Not like it's out of the way." Billy turned to open the passenger door. "Quit being a drag and get in. I don't bite hard...unless asked."

   "You're such a creep." She eyed him there. Wondered how he stayed warm in a tee, jeans, and leather jacket. "Not waiting for Max?" He gave this annoyed look.

   "She's going out with her stupid friends, not my problem today." Billy got in, gesturing. "At least close the door if you're not coming. I went through the effort to open it for you."

   "What a gentleman." Sarcasm.

   Evie came back toward his car and debated it. Smelled like it might rain with the sky turning grey. And she really didn't want to walk in these shoes. Rationalizing it, she slipped inside and shut the door. Settled her bag in her lap. Even buckled up. Billy revved the engine and skidded to speed out without a second glance.

   "You going to the party with Heather?"

   Evie peered at him watching the road with this hard look on his face. Ghosted a smile. Bingo.

   "You're being nice to me to get to Heather, huh. You know you're not the first guy to pull this. Could have just asked me about her."

   Crystalline eyes flared up at her face.

   "What? Dorky chicks like you turn me on, too." He replied rougher, not bothering to watch the road.

   "Wow. Spread it on thick, Hargrove." She turned from him.

   "I always do." He hit a hard corner. Christ, he drives fast. "I got a shot?"

   "She thinks you're cute." Evie shrugged. Far too used to this. Eyes slid to his profile. Wild curls still golden on grey days. The boy glowed. It was absolutely insufferable. Leaves whirled by, brown and dead. A smile crossed her face. "Listen. Since you're saving me a walk. I'll help you."

   "Help me? I don't need your help, I just wondered if she was gonna show." He scoffed, turning on Cherry Lane.

   "You want to know what Heather likes. It'll help you." She crossed her arms, nearly flying forward when he screeched to a stop in front of his house. Billy shot her a look, filled with pride. "You got a pen and paper, bud?"

   He snatched her bag, tore a page from her notebook and dug into his glove box for a pen.

    Ass. She hugged it back to her chest.

   "Talk."

   "Okay." A breath. "The thing about Heather is she's a romantic. Jane Austin girl. Pride and Prejudice. If you can quote that just once like Mr. Darcy, she's yours... Well? Are you writing?"

   Billy did a double take and huffed, grumbling. He actually marked it down.

   "Mr. Who?"

   "Your life amazes me." She chuckled. "Darcy."

   "Got it. Darcy. I'll ask Susan about that shit, she's a reader." He muttered, tongue sweeping out before he scribbled.

   "And she loves museums. First date ideas. Milkshakes. Cheese fries with jalapenos. Cheeseburger gal. Chinese from that corner joint. Always spicy. Easy picks."

   "A girl after my own burning heart." Billy felt her peer at him again. Lips lifting with this expression he couldn't read. Blinked her big eyes and went on.

   "Definitely loves to snuggle in with something scary even though they freak her out. Must be a curiosity thing."

   "Any excuse to get close to someone, I like it. This is gold, Angel, go on."

   "You know, I think that's all I got for you." Evie turned to get out, sighing. That was just a little evil. "Billy."

   "What?" He shut his door and turned from her.

   "Thanks for the ride." She moved to go toward her house. "Knock 'em dead."

   Billy didn't reply. Just watched her go into her house before he dug for another smoke.

   "Mom?" Evie called. "I'm home."

   "I'm in my room, sweetheart!"

   Ramona Fenny was a spirited woman, went by Mona to the neighborhood. A girl of the 60s. Built like Dolly Parton with a pumped hairstyle to match in sleek dark brown, almost black. She worshiped the woman. Looked like she could have modeled atop a cake.

   A church going girl who used prayer to get her through the divorce. Never pushed it on others, not even Evie. Too busy pushing other things. Like the free days she lost having her daughter young. She liked what worked in life and this worked for her. Liked the pretty side to things.

   Mona was a sunny side up sort of mother.

   Best friends with Claudia Henderson as they both went through divorces which was not in God's plan. Evie liked Dustin, she babysat him on occasion and he was a good kid. Bullied like her.

   Mona owned the favored hair salon in town. Worked long hours with a team of women and ran a tight ship. Did hair for all the social elites so she knew everyone and all the hot gossip. And did she love that detail the most. Evie helped out with reception during vacation time. Liked the extra cash.

   "I was going to go to Heather's later, there's a party."

   "Oh, have fun, baby." She pushed her kid to go out. To live. To be smart. Never asked her to call. Not out of trust for Evie, she couldn't be bothered. Never imagined her daughter would be up to mischief.

   If only she knew.

   Sometimes, Mona keyed in when it suited her. Understood when Evie's likes and dislikes changed. When she asked to not go to church anymore because it didn't help her after her dad walked out. Ramona was understanding as long as you didn't bring up things like depression and anger. There always had to be a way out. Turn the other cheek.

   Evie knew her mother always thought the best.

   "Great." Evie crossed to steal the hair brush, helped her mother out with the teasing. Dyed rich and dark locks that used to be a mousy brown. Dark eyes like her daughter. Evie didn't look like her father with his brighter features. Her lush hair and russet eyes. Thick brows. "You going out? All dressed up..."

   "Just into town, couple of errands."

   That was something that changed a week after her dad moved out. Mona's style revamp. She was a woman of the sixties and seventies and that came back full force. Styled and pumped up like she was walking out of a Nancy Sinatra music video. Men around town noticed it and the woman certainly speculated.

   But, her daughter had a style change too after the incident so it must have run in the family.

   "Better?" Evie eyed the glittery rings sitting in a ceramic dish. They looked like gumballs there.

   "Touch of hairspray and I'll be right as rain." Pink manicured nails came up with the can. "Take cover, baby."

   "Got it." Evie disappeared in a waft of spray. Stole an ice cube from the freezer to crunch it out of this habit she picked up when dad was gone. Cool and melty between her fingers before she swallowed it down. Felt the bulge tense all down her throat. Another followed. Teeth straining to crack it like glass. The chunks went down a little less smooth as she looked for real food and shut the fridge instead.

   Evie went into the bedroom to see her old cat on the pillow. His head lifted. Skinny and balding. Blind in one eye.

   "How're we doing, my handsome boy?" Evie dropped her bag and crossed to pet him. Purrs erupted, whiskers twitching. "Bourbon, my darling."

   A scratch of a meow rasped.

   "Yes, I love you too. I'd kiss you if my lips weren't done up." She smacked her lips and stood. "Outfit." Clothing pushed around. Her room was a small, intimate space. Few pictures and purple curtains. Desks covered in song lyrics, trinkets, and needle felting projects.

   Evie held up garments to the cat, but he was no help. Just purred there like a motor boat. Settled on a black top with some sparkle and a magenta wash denim jacket. Jewelry was a must, she preferred earrings that were huge acrylic hearts. Bourbon had gotten into the window to watch the window across the way.

   Billy wandering shirtless and damp. Muscles red and bulging like he'd done a quick work out.

   "Yeah, not today, my sweet." Evie plucked the cat from the window and reached to close the blinds. Billy caught her. Winked and licked his lips slower. She made a face at him. Utterly loathing and not impressed at his peacock way of navigation. "Ew."

   The blinds snapped down, leaving Billy to laugh there. Evie carried her purring cat out, chiding.

   "Don't make his head any bigger than it already is."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

135K 4.4K 18
I thought I was 'baby'sittin nobody told me they were grown ups--
354K 8.8K 39
This is a story about Asha Abdulla daughter of Wakandan warrior, but her mom was American. She lives with the avenger see what her life is like. Will...
51.6K 428 19
(COMPLETED) A Faith Seed X Male Deputy fanfiction. Jesse Wells is the junior deputy; After failing to capture Joseph Seed, Jesse decides to head acro...
1.9M 83.4K 127
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC