Coup de Foudre [Fred Weasley]...

By SlytherinScum

Vega-Nova Lestrange, entering her Sixth-Year at Hogwarts Witchcraft and Wizardry, finds herself surrounded wi... More

⚡️ Information ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 1 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 2 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 3 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 4 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 5 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 6 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 7 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 9 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 10 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 11 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 12 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 13 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 14 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 15 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 16 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 17 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 18 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 19 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 20 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 21 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 22 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 23 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 24 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 25 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 26 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 27 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 28 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 29 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 30 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 31 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 32 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 33 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 34 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 35 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 36 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 37 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 38 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 39 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 40 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 41 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 42 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 43 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 44 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 45 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 46 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 47 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 48 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 49 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 50 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 51 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 52 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 53 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 54 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 55 ⚡️
⚡️ Chapter 56 ⚡️
⚡️ NOTE ⚡️

⚡️ Chapter 8 ⚡️

133 7 0
By SlytherinScum

The day after this rather gloomy birthday tea, on 1st of August, the letters and booklists for school arrived from Hogwarts. Harry's included a surprise: He had been made Quidditch Captain. Vega glanced around in her own envelope and noticed that she had not received anything of that sort, and she bit her lower lip as she looked over toward her friends.

"That gives you equal status with prefects!" Hermione cried out happily when she saw the badge in his hand. "You can use our special bathroom now and everything!"

"Wow, I remember when Charlie wore one of these," Ron said, examining the badge with glee. "Harry, this is so cool, you're my Captain – if you let me back on the team, I suppose, ha-ha..."

Vega looked back at her booklist and decided that since her friends were going to be busy elsewhere, it would make sense for her to fill her time with the three electives and once-a-week extra-curricular seven subjects for the Sixth years.

"What about you, Vega?" Hermione asked as she turned to look at the last person and Vega felt very embarrassed as she looked at her friends again.

"Well, there's nothing else left, is there?" Vega said, a bit awkward. "I mean, I could hope to be a Head Girl in Seventh Year but... I think I don't really look like someone who can lead people well,"

"You were great with the D.A, though," Harry admitted. "And you do more for Quidditch –"

"No, you're the Seeker," Vega told him. "You end the game – and I'm fine with just studying, to be honest, I've got more N.E.W.Ts to study for than you all,"

While the three of them looked at each other, Vega took a closer look at the Captain badge, and she suddenly realised that Angelina wouldn't be around anymore. And she knew that they would need to find new players to fill the ranks of their team. It was going to be hectic but Vega felt like if they found good reserves for Chasers, it would be easier on her, too.

"It's nice, though, isn't it?" Vega said as she looked over, her injured eye squinting from how focused she had been onto the badge. "Wood was a Keeper, and Angie was a Chaser, and now a Seeker as Captain – it ties up nicely,"

"Well, I don't suppose we can put off a trip to Diagon Alley much longer now you've got these," Mrs. Weasley sighed, looking down Ron's booklist. "We'll go on Saturday as long as your father doesn't have to go into work again. I'm not going there without him,"

"Mum, do you honestly think You-Know-Who's going to be hiding behind a bookshelf in Flourish and Blotts?" Ron asked, sniggering at his mother.

"Wasn't he back in our second year?" Vega pointed out, giving him a look.

"And Fortescue and Ollivander went on holiday, did they?" Mrs. Weasley said, firing up at once. "If you think security's a laughing matter, you can stay behind and I'll get your things myself –"

"No, I wanna come, I want to see Fred and George's shop!" Ron said hastily.

"Then you just buck up your ideas, young man, before I decide you're too immature to come with us!" Mrs. Weasley said angrily, snatching up her clock, all nine hands of which were still pointing at 'mortal peril,' and balancing it on top of a pile of just-laundered towels. "And that goes for returning to Hogwarts as well!"

Ron turned to stare incredulously at Vega and Harry as his mother hoisted the laundry basket and the teetering clock into her arms and stormed out of the room.

"Blimey... you can't even make a joke round here anymore...." Ron said but he was careful not to be flippant about Voldemort over the next few days.

Saturday dawned without any more outbursts from Mrs. Weasley, though she seemed very tense at breakfast. Vega, who had helped her out with breakfast, had been the first teenager to wake up and had already dressed herself up fairly nicely albeit casually because she was going to be meeting Fred again. And she had seen just concerned Mrs. Weasley was.

Just to make sure that no one would concern her any further and mess up their trip, Vega warned Harry, Ron and Hermione to be careful with what they said. Mrs. Weasley was taking them along and the least they could do was be tactful with themselves.

Bill, who would be staying at home with Fleur (much to Hermione and Ginny's pleasure), passed a full money bag each across the table to Vega and to Harry.

"Where's mine?" Ron demanded at once, his eyes wide.

"Those are already Harry and Vega's, idiot," Bill responded. "I got it out of your vaults for you two, because it's taking about five hours for the public to get to their gold at the moment, the goblins have tightened security so much. Two days ago, Arkie Philpott had a Probity Probe stuck up his... well, trust me, this way's easier,"

"Thank you for this, Bill," Vega said, very grateful as she took the money bag and put it away into her bag, relieved to not go into the Gringotts this afternoon.

"'E is always so thoughtful," Fleur purred adoringly, stroking Bill's nose.

Ginny mimed vomiting into her cereal behind Fleur. Harry choked over his cornflakes, and Ron thumped him on the back. Vega was a bit embarrassed and slightly glad that she was too shy to do stuff like that to Fred in front of others.

And that Fred wasn't into that sort of attention.

It was an overcast, murky day. One of the special Ministry of Magic cars, in which Vega had ridden once before with everyone else, was awaiting them in the front yard when they emerged from the house, pulling on their cloaks over themselves.

"It is good Dad can get us these again," Ron said appreciatively, stretching luxuriously as the car moved smoothly away from the Burrow, Bill and Fleur waving from the kitchen window.

Mr. Weasley and Mrs. Weasley took the seat in the front with the Ministry driver; the front passenger seat had obligingly stretched into what resembled a two-seater sofa while Vega, Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny were all sitting in roomy comfort in the wide backseat.

"Don't get used to it, it's only because of Harry and Vega," Mr. Weasley said over his shoulder. "They've been given top-grade security status. And we'll be joining up with additional security at the Leaky Cauldron too,"

Neither Vega nor Harry had anything to say to that.

In all honestly, Vega did not much fancy doing her shopping while surrounded by a battalion of Aurors. She didn't like the way it brought attention to her – and meagre activities like shopping were the only things left in her life to remind her of her fate away from being what she was. She just wanted to be normal again, return to simplicity.

"Here you are, then," said the driver, a surprisingly short while later, speaking for the first time as he slowed in Charing Cross Road and stopped outside the Leaky Cauldron. "I'm to wait for you, any idea how long you'll be?"

"A couple of hours, I expect," Mr. Weasley said. "Ah, good, he's here!"

Following Mr. Weasley's example, Vega peered through the window; her heart leapt in happiness – there were no Aurors waiting outside the inn, but instead the gigantic, black-bearded form of Rubeus Hagrid, the Hogwarts gamekeeper, wearing a long beaver-skin coat, beaming at the sight of them and oblivious to the startled stares of passing Muggles.

"Harry! Vega!" Hagrid boomed, sweeping the pair of them into a bone-crushing hug the moment the two of them had stepped out of the car. "Buckbeak – Witherwings, I mean – yeh should see him, he's so happy ter be back in the open air –"

"We didn't know 'security' meant you!" Harry said, grinning, as he massaged his ribs while Vega took a moment to breath out properly after that hug.

"I know, jus' like old times, innit? See, the Ministry wanted ter send a bunch o' Aurors, but Dumbledore said I'd do," Hagrid said proudly, throwing out his chest and tucking his thumbs into his pockets. "Let's get goin' then – after yeh, Molly, Arthur –"

The Leaky Cauldron was, for the first time in Vega's memory, completely empty.

Only Tom the landlord, wizened and toothless, remained of the old crowd. He looked up hopefully as they entered, but before he could speak, Hagrid said importantly, "Jus' passin' through today, Tom, sure yeh understand, Hogwarts business, yeh know,"

Tom nodded gloomily and returned to wiping glasses, clearly not getting his usual patrons anymore. Vega, Harry, Hermione, Hagrid, and the Weasleys walked through the bar and out into the chilly little courtyard at the back where the dustbins stood.

Hagrid raised his pink umbrella and rapped a certain brick in the wall, which opened at once to form an archway onto a winding cobbled street. They stepped through the entrance and paused, looking around. Vega looked around the place with a frown.

Diagon Alley had changed drastically.

The colourful, glittering window displays of spellbooks, potion ingredients, and cauldrons were lost to view, hidden behind the large Ministry of Magic posters that had been pasted over them. Most of these somber purple posters carried blown-up versions of the security advice on the Ministry pamphlets that had been sent out over the summer, but others bore moving black-and-white photographs of Death Eaters known to be on the loose.

Bellatrix Lestrange was sneering from the front of the nearest apothecary, much to Vega's unease and frustration at the sight of that woman again. A few windows were boarded up, including those of Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour.

On the other hand, a number of shabby-looking stalls had sprung up along the street. The nearest one, which had been erected outside Flourish and Blotts, under a striped, stained awning, had a cardboard sign pinned to its front:

AMULETS
Effective Against Werewolves, Dementors, and Inferi

A seedy-looking little wizard was rattling armfuls of silver symbols on chains at passers-by. "One for your little girl, madam?" He called at Mrs. Weasley as they passed, leering at Ginny. "Protect her pretty neck?" Vega gave the man a disturbed look.

"If I were on duty...." Mr. Weasley said, glaring angrily at the amulet seller.

"Yes, but don't go arresting anyone now, dear, we're in a hurry," Mrs. Weasley said, nervously consulting a list. "I think we'd better do Madam Malkin's first, Hermione wants new dress robes, and Ron's showing much too much ankle in his school robes, and you must need new ones too, Harry and Vega, you've grown so much – come on, everyone –"

"Molly, it doesn't make sense for all of us to go to Madam Malkin's," Mr. Weasley told his wife. "Why don't those four all go with Hagrid, and we can go to Flourish and Blotts and get everyone's schoolbooks?"

"I don't know," Mrs. Weasley said anxiously, clearly torn between a desire to finish the shopping quickly and the wish to stick together in a pack. "Hagrid, do you think –?"

"Don' fret, they'll be fine with me, Molly," Hagrid said soothingly, waving an airy hand.

Mrs. Weasley did not look entirely convinced, but allowed the separation, scurrying off toward Flourish and Blotts with her husband and Ginny while Vega, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Hagrid set off for Madam Malkin's.

Vega noticed that many of the people who passed them had the same harried, anxious look as Mrs. Weasley, and that nobody was stopping to talk anymore; the shoppers stayed together in their own tightly knit groups, moving intently about their business.

Nobody seemed to be shopping alone – things had changed a lot.

It didn't help Vega when she saw that many of Bellatrix's pictures were from wen she was sent to Azkaban, when they looked more alike, then the appearance she had now. Vega tried to remain clear of meeting eyes with anyone and every stranger.

"Migh' be a bit of a squeeze in there with all of us," Hagrid said, stopping outside Madam Malkin's and bending down to peer through the window. "I'll stand guard outside, all right?"

Hagrid waited outside while Vega, Harry, Ron, and Hermione entered the little shop together. It appeared, at first glance, to be empty, but no sooner had the door swung shut behind them than they heard a familiar voice issuing from behind a rack of dress robes in spangled green and blue – a voice that Vega didn't want to hear at the least right now.

"... not a child, in case you haven't noticed, Mother.
I am perfectly capable of doing my shopping alone,"

There was a clucking noise and a voice Vega recognised as that of Madam Malkin, the owner, said, "Now, dear, your mother's quite right, none of us is supposed to go wandering around on our own anymore, it's nothing to do with being a child –"

"Watch where you're sticking that pin, will you!"

A teenage boy with a pale, pointed face and white-blond hair appeared from behind the rack, wearing a handsome set of dark green robes that glittered with pins around the hem and the edges of the sleeves. He strode to the mirror and examined himself; it was a few moments before he noticed Vega, Harry, Ron, and Hermione reflected over his shoulder. His light grey eyes narrowed.

"If you're wondering what the smell is, Mother, a Mudblood just walked in," said Draco Malfoy. "It's our good old Vega right with her, huh?"

"I don't think there's any need for language like that!" Madam Malkin said, scurrying out from behind the clothes rack holding a tape measure and a wand. "And I don't want wands drawn in my shop either!" she added hastily, for a glance toward the door had shown her Harry and Ron both standing there with their wands out and pointing at Malfoy.

Hermione, who was standing slightly behind them, whispered, "No, don't, honestly, it's not worth it..." Vega pursed her lips at her cousin.

"That's quite enough!" Madam Malkin said sharply, looking over her shoulder for support, and from the wrong person at that. "Madam – please –"

Narcissa Malfoy strolled out from behind the clothes rack, and Vega tensed up at the sight of her.

"Put those away," Narcissa Malfoy said coldly to Harry and Ron. "If you attack my son again, I shall ensure that it is the last thing you ever do,"

"Really?" Harry said, taking a step forward and gazing into the smoothly arrogant face that, for all its pallor, still resembled her sister's. He was as tall as she was now. "Going to get a few Death Eater pals to do us in, are you?"

Madam Malkin squealed and clutched at her heart.

"Really, you shouldn't accuse – dangerous thing to say – wands away, please!" Madam Malkin said. But Harry did not lower his wand, and Narcissa Malfoy smiled unpleasantly.

"I see that being Dumbledore's favourite has given you a false sense of security, Harry Potter," Narcissa said. "But Dumbledore won't always be there to protect you,"

Harry looked mockingly all around the shop. "Wow... look at that... he's not here now! So why not have a go? They might be able to find you a double cell in Azkaban with your loser of a husband!"

Malfoy made an angry movement toward Harry, but stumbled over his overlong robe. Ron laughed loudly while Vega let out a dissatisfied noise at where this situation was going. She glanced around the store to make sure that there was no one else in here, and she kept her hand hovering by the pocket where her wand laid in wait.

"Don't you dare talk to my mother like that, Potter!" Malfoy snarled.

"It's all right, Draco," Narcissa said, restraining him with her thin white fingers upon his shoulder. "I expect Potter will be reunited with dear Sirius before I am reunited with Lucius,"

Harry raised his wand higher.

"Stop it, Harry," Vega told him, trying to remain calm as Dumbledore had told her to. "I don't think we should be giving old Aunt Narcissa any more troubles – half her family's in Azkaban," She looked back at Narcissa. "You should take care of your son to not get into places he doesn't belong, or he might just end up like the rest of them,"

"Rest of them?" Narcissa asked. "You'll be the first to end like your little brother,"

"My brother has a name, and that's Rigel," Vega responded coldly. "Your wretched sister was one who led him to his death – and I bet on your loyalty to your sister that she's going to train your little son to go down that very same path. She doesn't care about family – she just wants to train tiny soldiers to die for or on the hands of Voldemort!"

Narcissa glared at her but Vega noticed that her hand moved protectively toward her son's direction while Madam Malkin clutched her heart tighter.

"Miss, don't say that name!" Madam Malkin said in a strangled voice.

"You're scared of that, aren't you?" Vega asked Narcissa in a low voice. "You don't trust your sister, either, do you? You know she's been working on little Draco – you know that she has no familial love – she'll do to Draco the same she did to Rigel and I,"

"You don't know anything!" Malfoy snarled at her.

"I know more than you do," Vega snapped at him, and he glared when he realised that she wasn't recoiling or being quiet. "You're just a clueless idiot yourself – your mother seems to pride herself over not having a Dark Mark but she's just a coward who can't stop her husband's stupid actions nor have the strength to stop her own crazy sister,"

Vega looked back at Narcissa, "Aunt Dromeda always said you were a bit too familial but I think you're just stupid and just as filthy as Death Eaters. If you had any respect for familial relations, you wouldn't have allowed your sister to kill her children, your niece and nephew, on that night when you knew exactly what was happening,"

Madam Malkin dithered for a moment on the spot, then seemed to decide to act as though nothing was happening in the hope that it wouldn't. She bent toward Malfoy, who was still glaring at Harry, and now also at Vega.

"I think this left sleeve could come up a little bit more, dear," Madam Malkin said. "Let me just –"

"Ouch!" bellowed Malfoy, slapping her hand away. "Watch where you're putting your pins, woman! Mother – I don't think I want these anymore –" He pulled the robes over his head and threw them onto the floor at Madam Malkin's feet.

"You're right, Draco," Narcissa said, with a contemptuous glance at Hermione. "Now I know the kind of scum that shops here... we'll do better at Twilfitt and Tatting's,"

And with that, the pair of them strode out of the shop, Malfoy taking care to bang as hard as he could into Ron on the way out.

"Well, really!" Madam Malkin said, snatching up the fallen robes and moving the tip of her wand over them like a vacuum cleaner, so that it removed all the dust.

"Vega... what was that?" Hermione whispered urgently.

But Vega turned away from them, rubbing her face to calm herself down from what she had just said – she hadn't expected to say that or be so worked up.

Madam Malkin was distracted all through the fitting of Vega's, Ron's and Harry's new robes, tried to sell Hermione wizard's dress robes instead of witch's, and when she finally bowed them out of the shop it was with an air of being glad to see the back of them.

"Got ev'rything?" Hagrid asked brightly when they reappeared at his side.

"Just about," Harry said. "Did you see the Malfoys?"

"Yeah," Hagrid said, unconcerned. "Bu' they wouldn' dare make trouble in the middle o' Diagon Alley, Harry. Don' worry abou' them,"

Vega, Harry, Ron, and Hermione exchanged looks, but before any of them could come around to disabuse Hagrid of this comfortable notion, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and Ginny appeared, all clutching heavy packages of books.

"Everyone all right?" Mrs. Weasley said. "Got your robes? Right then, we can pop in at the Apothecary and Eeylops on the way to Fred and George's – stick close, now..."

"You have so many books, Vega, how are you going to manage?" Ginny asked.

"It's more like, I hope I can," Vega muttered, whose thoughts were still far away to what had happened in Madam Malkin's.

Neither Harry nor Ron bought any ingredients at the Apothecary, seeing that they were no longer studying Potions while Vega made sure to have more than enough for the upcoming year. Then they visited Eeylops Owl Emporium, where the three of them bought large boxes of owl nuts for Aquila, Hedwig and Pigwidgeon.

Then, with Mrs. Weasley checking her watch every minute or so, they headed farther along the street in search of Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, the joke shop run by Fred and George – something that Vega had been looking forward to all month.

"We really haven't got too long," Mrs. Weasley said. "So, we'll just have a quick look around and then back to the car. We must be close, that's number ninety-two... ninety-four..."

"Whoa," Ron said, stopping in his tracks.

Set against the dull, poster-muffled shop fronts around them, Fred and George's windows hit the eye like a firework display. Casual passers-by were looking back over their shoulders at the windows, and a few rather stunned-looking people had actually come to a halt, transfixed.

The left-hand window was dazzlingly full of an assortment of goods that revolved, popped, flashed, bounced, and shrieked. The righthand window was covered with a gigantic poster, purple like those of the Ministry, but emblazoned with flashing yellow letters:

WHY ARE YOU WORRYING ABOUT
YOU-KNOW-WHO?
YOU SHOULD BE WORRYING ABOUT
U-NO-POO ––
THE CONSTIPATION SENSATION THAT'S GRIPPING THE NATION!

Vega stared at the display, unable to believe what she was seeing and she couldn't even let out a surprised laugh as Harry started to laugh. She heard a weak sort of moan beside her and looked around to see Mrs. Weasley gazing, just as dumbfounded as her, at the poster. Her lips moved silently, mouthing the name 'U-No-Poo.'

"They'll be murdered in their beds!" Mrs. Weasley whispered.

"No, they won't!" Ron exclaimed, who, like Harry, was laughing. "This is brilliant!" And he, Vega and Harry led the way into the shop.

⚡️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 149 34
Gwendolyn Jones has a secret, like most people do. The one difference? Her secret could get her killed. She transfers to Hogwarts School of Witchcra...
12.2K 633 83
Since the night in the graveyard where Cedric Diggory passed away, Voldemort returned to his physical prime and the true identity of the incessantly...
4.4K 86 4
Y/n and her friends and Boyfriend are in their sixth year at Hogwarts and everything is getting darker and what happens when Harry finds a book that...
9.3K 533 37
Ever since her adventurous first year at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Vega Lestrange had started to believe that she had changed t...