The Alternate threads of fate...

By Nilo18

The same story can be told in several ways. And some destinies can take other routes. What if Mo'at had given... More

Introduction
Chapter 1: The girl with the eyes of the dawn
Chapter 2: Meeting with the last shadow
Chapter 3: First day at the school
Chapter 4: Like father, like daughter
Chapter 5: The injured woman
Chapter 6: Chief of the Kekunans
Chapter 7: The dreamwalker warrior
Chapter 8: Dream and discussion
Chapter 9: Emotional Dilemmas
Chapter 10: Chapter 10: No Past, New Life
Chapter 11: The first test
Chapter 12: The Sky Kekunan
Chapter 13: The End of a Period
Chapter 14: Shadow of the Past
Chapter 15: Two Names, One Spirit
Chapter 16: Omati s'ampta
Chapter 17: Diplomatic love
Chapter 18: Bad impressions
Chapter 19: First link and shipment
Chapter 20: Chosen One and Symbol
Chapter 21: Hammerhead
Chapter 22: Denial
Chapter 23: Memories and Tension
Chapter 25: Culpability
Chapter 26: Blue Fear
Chapter 27: Iknimaya
Chapter 28: Back to Home
Chapter 29: Uniltaron
Chapter 30: The Shadows of the Moon
Chapter 31: Discussion between two soulmates
Chapter 32: Love night
Chapter 33: Julia
Chapter 34: Family Reunion
Chapter 35: Encounter
Chapter 36: Uniltaron et Yawnetu
Chapter 37: Rage
Chapter 38: Betrayal
Chapter 39: The fall of the HomeTree
Chapter 40: Evasion
Chapter 41: Inner torment
Chapter 42: The call of the Toruk Makto
Chapter 43: The Battle of the Tree of Souls
Chapter 44: Nature vs Technology
Chapter 45: One life ends, another begin (part 1)
Chapter 46: One life ends, another begins (part 2)

Chapter 24: Learning

103 2 0
By Nilo18

Hi! Here is the continuation of Jake and Delane's apprenticeship among the omatikayas, continuing their initiations to become Na'vi. Above, another passage from the Tsu'tey Path comic. Feel free to vote, if you liked it, or to comment.

Jake's point of view

I was looking for Lutsey, not seeing her from her usual hammock. On my way down, I noticed a young woman matching Neytiri's description, seemingly caring for a baby in her arms. Probably her daughter.

Me: Excuse me....Neytiri, right?

She turned her gaze towards me, holding her daughter in her arms. She remained strangely calm, although I saw a hostile glint in her eye.

Neytiri: That's right, Jake Sully. If you're looking for my sister, she's downstairs, probably training with Tsylan outside the Kelutral.

Me, smiling: Oh...Thanks

I was about to take the strange natural spiral serving as a natural staircase to access the floors of the Kelutral in order to reach the ground floor, when I saw a strange Na'vi coming up. He was strangely young, judging by his face and bearing a scar on his left eye. The strangely curly black hair made him look younger, although the look he gave me was quite icy, looking strangely like Delane's when she was in combat mode. His clothes were also strange, having never seen him in the clan. Indeed, the top in a fine white texture, with an armband made of light material on her left arm. His bottom was a set of light fabric, seeming leaves, black and red colors.

Young man: What are you still doing here, tawtute?

Me: I was about to leave, join...

Young man: Then go! Your teacher is not known for her patience.

Oh...if I didn't know better...

Neytiri: Calm down, Tsylan. He was just asking where my sister was. He only arrived two days ago and still has to get used to it.

Tsylan...So that was Neytiri's companion! He looks so young!

Tsylan: Never mind. I don't want to see any of those sky demons near you and our daughter.

Neytiri: I can defend myself, you know.

Me: Tell me, your outfit...Is it a peculiarity of you or are you not from the clan? This is the first time I've seen it.

He stared at me with annoyance, seeming hesitant at first from the movement of his tail. Then he decided to answer.

Tsylan: I come from a clan of Ikran riders from the east. That's all you need to know. Now go, before your teacher loses her patience.

Well...I won't insist, considering your tone. I could always ask Delane. Since she knew better than I did. So, I started to walk down to Lutsey, not wanting to stay with the hostile young father.

Neytiri's point of view

I was carrying Sylwyn in my arms, asleep, when Tsylan arrived with a look I didn't like to see. It was the one when he was upset, having noticed it during our arguments. And poor Jake had arrived at the worst possible time to talk to him.

Me: What happened?

Tsylan: Nothing important.

Me: I know you, Tsylan. What's the matter?

He sighed before smiling, seeing our daughter in our arms, gently touching her little hands which made her smile.

Tsylan: She has your sister's eyes, but your beautiful face.

Me: Don't change the subject, darling.

Tsylan: I ran into the tawtute Delane.

Me: Your sister?

My companion stared at me, his gaze annoyed and his tail translating this feeling by the liveliness of his movement.

Tsylan: She's not.

I hissed in annoyance. By Eywa, he could be so stupidly stubborn!

Me: What did you say to him?

Tsylan: The truth.

Me: Which one?

Tsylan: That Ben Thalyen is dead.

Me: I find you strangely talkative, for a dead man.

Tsylan: I am not him!

Me: Yes, you are! Whether you like it or not! As I told you, I like who you are, not the name. And Ben Thalyen is as much a part of you, as Tsylan. How do you expect to help our daughter grow up, if you are unable to accept yourself?

He remained silent, but I could see from his face that I had given him something to think about.

Jake's Point of View

As the days went by, I could feel my body getting stronger, giving me more and more confidence in it. As a result, I became more and more comfortable, moving with balance and following Lutsey's movements, and she was not easy to follow, believe me! The young woman moved with such ease, not doubting for a second her movements and gestures. And whatever she did, she landed on her feet with such grace that I was in awe. So much so that I had to follow her rhythm, and sometimes, it was not a great success. And each time, I made my daily report, summarizing my day of learning with the young woman with the eyes of cats.

After seeing my progress, (I thanked Norm and Delane for helping me learn this nasty language, in addition to the lessons from Neytiri's sister) Lutsey began to teach me how to become Na'vi. First of all by underlining the importance of the bow in the life of any member of the clan, this one allowing him to hunt, in order to feed, but also to protect the clan. They also had other weapons, but the bow was central to the life of a hunter. Afterwards, she started to learn how to hold this weapon and to use it well.

Lutsey: Don't drop your arm, lift up a little bit! And tighten your abs a little bit.

I did my best to obey her, trying to hold the bow with the position she wanted. I held as much as I could and with each flex, she clearly indicated to me to straighten. In addition to this, we explored the forest, teaching me the importance of energy flowing everywhere, in every living being. This energy was on loan from Eywa and must be returned when our day comes. According to her, every living being deserved respect, being all children of Eywa. That everyone fulfilled a role predefined by her, in the cycle of life.

Me: I hope I don't type this ecology crap on the final exam. Damn...I feel like Simba...

Delane: You poor thing! Come on, Jake! It won't kill you.

Grace: Besides, you have to listen to Lutsey. See her forest, through her eyes.

Me: Hey, this is my logbook, I'll call you back.

Delane: Oh! Okay, we won't disturb your diary confessions anymore.

Me: Well let's get back to...wait, what?

I could hear Delane laughing and was about to go after her, when Grace quickly called me to order.

Grace: You get on with your report, while it's still fresh. As for you Kadon, I believe you have a report to make as well

Delane: Okay, ma'am.

Me: Okay...Well, let's get back to where I was.

After negotiations, me and Delane had managed to convince Mo'at to let Grace return to the village. And as the days passed, I felt less and less comfortable with my human life. Na'vi life was so simple and lively compared to the dullness and complexity of a human life. Delane had warned me of the danger of frequent affairs. At first I thought she was exaggerating. But now I thought she was more and more right.

Delane's perspective

Seeing Grace smile at her students brought a smile to my face. I had grown to like her more and more over the course of our time in Unit 26, and I fought with Jake to convince Mo'at to bring her back. And what made me smile more was seeing the reconciliation between her and Tsu'tey. As if reconnecting with her beloved and her brother. I so wish I still had a fragment of Daniel, alive.

"Thank you."

I felt an icy chill, hearing that female voice and turned behind to see if anyone was there. But there was no one there. I felt like someone was talking to me though. When the talk was over, Tsu'tey walked over to me and motioned for me to follow him, presumably to continue learning. I smiled as I followed him.

Me: You seem to be doing better.

Tsu'tey mumbling: Yes. If we want

Me: Don't be so grumpy!

He gave a little annoyed snort, but I knew he was happy to reconnect with a piece of his life with Sylwanin. So he took me into the forest and taught me more about the Na'vi culture. I listened intently, touched by their deep connection to the forest and the respect they had for every being. Considering them as their brothers and sisters, trying to avoid violence as much as possible, unless it was necessary.

Me: And where did this come from?

Tsu'tey: How so?

Me: That... How can I put it? This openness to Eywa's wealth.

Tsu'tey: It goes back to long ago, long before the first songs. We don't know the details, but we do know that Eywa dictated three laws that governed the life of every member of the People

Me: What are they?

Tsu'tey: "Thou shalt not lay stone upon stone. Nor shall you use the wheel. Nor the metals of the earth."

I remained silent, realizing the spiritual wisdom of the Na'vis, totally opposite to the thirst of evolution of my species.

Me: Do you sometimes come into conflict with other clans?

Tsu'tey: Despite a common belief, each clan is different. Each clan has its own culture, history, clothing or weapons, depending on their environment. Distrust between clans therefore remains, but wars are rare. And even in extreme tensions, we avoid armed conflict as much as possible.

Me sighs: We have so much to learn from the People.

Tsu'tey smiling: Knowing that already proves that you are following the right path.

I returned his smile, before he continued to teach me more. Especially the necklaces of songs, which has an essential status for any member of the People. Indeed, each stone or pearl, served to memorize an important event of the latter. And that at death, the necklace is sung by the people closest to the latter. A way to pay tribute to the dead rather minimalist, but very touching. As what, the simplicity could be the purest form of love.

Me: That's why I hear your stones singing in a strange rhythm to my ears.

Tsu'tey: Yes, you have the summary of my whole life. The joy of the birth of my brothers Anok and Anuk, my pride in becoming an adult and being the future chief, the joy of knowing my love, but also the sorrow of losing her and Anuk.

Me: And when I will be member of the People...

Tsu'tey: You can adorn your necklace, to translate your life.

Me: Human or Na'vi?

Tsu'tey: Only you will decide. Well, it's time to continue your archery lessons.

Me: Oh please...kill me...

He laughed, seeing my pout but kept his firmness in his eyes, urging me to follow him.

Tsu'tey: You can't escape it, Delane. The bow is the heart of the life of a member of the People

Me, grumbling: Yes, yes...I know. But I prefer to train with a dagger, you see.

Tsu'tey: A dagger is less accurate and has a shorter range than an arrow fired from a bow, more effective in close combat.

Me: Yeah, yeah...

Unlike Ben, I never liked ranged weapons. So, knowing that one should be the heart of my life, I was hardly thrilled. And although the future leader was more open than in the early days, every session was torture for me. Because I was not comfortable, but also because of the demands of the young future chief.

Lutsey's point of view

The falling tree, the smoke filling my nose, and the screams of pain reaching my ears. All this hurt me deeply.

Then from the smoke came a desolate landscape where death reigned supreme. Then suddenly, the light of day was covered by a shadow, similar to Toruk.

The latter landed in front of me and roared ferociously, like a rallying cry. And in response to his call, many cries of male and female warriors came.

From the land of death, were replaced by the Na'vis of many clans gathering under the banner of Toruk. This meant only one thing...

And as if to confirm it, I looked up to see a figure standing on the Toruk, showing the coming of a future champion of Eywa. The sixth Toruk Makto.

I woke up, panting. Turning my gaze, I saw Jake still asleep in his hammock. Sighing, I decided to go out and downstairs. I looked at the totem pole where a proud Toruk's head was embedded, seeming to look at me with severity, as if waiting for something from me. Deep in thought, I did not notice Mother approaching me

Mother: What is it, my daughter?

I remained silent for a moment, watching Toruk's face, as if trying to find a clue to the future rider. Our clan is very closely related to them, especially through Entu but also through my ancestor.

Me: I had another vision, Mother.

Mother: The coming of the sixth Toruk Makto?

Me: You had it too, Mother?

Mother: Yes...It also meant that his coming, heralds a dark time for us.

At this, I remembered Eywa's words and it made my fear and worry rise. Everything seemed to indicate a dark future for the clan.

Me: I am so afraid, Mother. Afraid of what I know will happen. And that I can't do anything to stop it.

She wrapped her arms around me in a comforting maternal embrace. I closed my eyes, letting myself fall into her wise and comforting arms.

Mother: As long as we stick together, we'll get through it, my daughter. The clan has been through dark times and has kept going, despite everything.

Me: But...what if this one is even more terrible?

Mother: Well, we will rise again.

I wanted to find comfort in her words, but I couldn't. What I saw was so hard that I didn't know if we would have enough strength to face it.

Mother: And did you tell Tsu'tey about what you saw, before we returned from the Kekunan clan?

Me: No, Mother. I don't see the point.

Mother: It has to do with his future, Lutsey. He must know.

Me: What's the point? It will happen anyway.

Mother: Hiding it is not a good thing. Eywa's will must be passed on, my daughter. Because that would help to prepare and accept this destiny.

Me: I am not too convinced, Mother. But so be it. I promise to tell her.

Mother: Good. You should go to sleep. Do I need to remind you that you need to continue teaching Jake, while continuing your Tsahik training?

Me: Yes, Mother.

I couldn't help but continue to stare at the Toruk, as the feeling that he was covering the Kelutral with his shadow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71K 1.4K 21
Tanhì, twin sister of Sylwanin must find a way to look past the sky people's wrong doings to her spieces in order to teach an immature dream walker h...
145K 3.2K 39
You are Jake and Neytiri's second daughter after neteyam and Kiri, and she had five fingers like her father, Jake, but there was something that many...
56.5K 1.3K 18
Sabelle isn't new to the supernatural world, but what will happen when she's offered to go to another planet, to escape a dying world? This place, is...
28.8K 561 12
What if Jake had a sister? What if her name was Arya? What if they both go to Pandora? Follow Arya and Jake to the world of Pandora. Where new experi...