Castles in the Sky

By Avalore8

'I hate the way you don't meet my eyes - as though you really can't see me, right here at your side. I hate t... More

Hate
Solitude
Ache
Fever
Want
Lullabies
Shy
Fight
Home
Greed
Cocoon
Horizon
Happiness
Secrets
Current
Letters
Pearl
Armour
Glimpses
Change
Starlight
Seashells
Storm
Together
Stitches
Anew
Fly
Polaris
Love

Wonder

386 37 16
By Avalore8

A/N: Apologies for the unintended break - another chapter in a few days to catch up!

Also, just a verrrry obvious reminder that this story is entirely fictional 💛

~~

It was Narong who discovered them. King, Queen and hours-old baby boy in that makeshift nest - Thalassa connecting dots for the astonished manservant, before retreating herself, with promises to return. Then, beneath canopy of silken, cyan sky and low-peeping winter's sun - a veritable calm after the storm - the to-ing and fro-ing began.

Indeed, Clochán an Aifir causeway had never before seen such traffic as in those days following the birth of the kingdom's heir. Every low tide a trail of hustling, bustling figures weaving their way betwixt waves both sides of the wall - and even when tides were high, rowing boats aplenty bobbing busily between mainland and island.

Doctors and midwives, porters and maids, holyfolk and dubiously, distantly related well-wishers. But one problem - Solaris sealing off the entrance to all.

"Come back later", came gruff command from within cavern's walls.

"But the holy naming ceremony-"

"-Can wait some days"

"We brought gifts-"

"-We have all we need"

"Pretty robes for His Highness Queen Ciel-"

"-He has never looked so perfect as he does in this very moment"

"There is a palanquin to carry him home-"

"-This here shall be our home until he is rested"

"Then pose for a royal family portrait together Sire?-"

"-Do you wish to lose your eyes?"

Until, at last, it was the trusted voice of Dr Phawattakun that bridged door's barricade:

"Listen well, Sol - it was I who advised you to follow instinct's guide. Now, in these hours, every fibre of you lives only to protect your omega and child, but the reality is that when Queen Ciel's high bliss begins to ebb, he will be in tremendous pain here in the real world. At the very least allow the midwife to stitch him safely before lacerations fall infected..."

Silence, then a low grumbling and sweet soothing between the new parents, the outcome of which saw the entranceway finally unbolted and said midwife and Chakan himself, welcomed - or at least allowed - within.

By the gleam of the fire and glimmer of candle - under blazing eyes of watchful alpha - the newborn was bathed and examined, and wounds to his mama's neck and lower parts cleansed, sterilised, stitched.

"Fascinating..." - Dr Phawattakun muttering to himself as he prepared protective dressing for Ciel's bite puncture - "You really have the blood of the ancients in you, to even do such a thing. It's been centuries since mate marking occurred, yet your alpha heart led you that forgotten lane. Locking your union...conjuring a euphoric anaesthesia to override birth's agonies, you say...fascinating"

"What is this 'mate marking'?", Mew fighting to keep tone civil and controlled.

"It's the method by which fated pairs, historically, bonded their souls for eternity. Like the intertwined roots and branches of twisted trees in a forest of lone and lonely pines. A wolf paw's imprint upon one another's heart. Star-writing both names across black ink's night sky"

Dormant butterflies taking fluttering, flurrying flight within the alpha's chest as he heard the words.

"My neck, there's a sort of throbbing..."

"Since your mate hasn't yet bitten back, to join and complete devotion's infinite circle. It's why common folk's marriages are marked by a symbolic exchange of rings these days - eternity bands as they are oft-named. The Queen must reciprocate your act as soon as he has regained enough strength"

"I see" - lowering melting eyes to the softly-snoring wife and son nestled in his lap.

It was the midwife who spoke next, rinsing work's blood from wrinkled, water-worn hands over a bucket:

"My old grandma, rest her soul, used to tell that mated pairs could communicate with telepathy when it was called for"

Mew's brow furrowing as he recalled, with a shiver, Gulf's ghostly voice that had reached out to him through the fog - back in the Great Hall, and again, like a siren as he swam across storm's sea.

"I think...I think that we already did"

"Before the bite?" - doctor's eyebrows raised.

"Even before"

"Then Solaris, the universe lent you her hand, that day"

//

As silent night fell at long last, all was calm, all was bright. Little family alone on their island, as the young omega yawned awake from dreamy slumber to an even better waking dream - though wincing at the sharp stab of his wounds when he stretched.

"Forgive me Gulf, for cutting you", alpha's eyes emotive as he stroked the tousled hair of his wife's head, lain resting against muscular chest.

"Hush. There is nothing to forgive, husband. You heard the doctor - what you did saved both of our lives"

"But still, it pains me. The thought of...hurting you...with these hands"

"Yet I would live that pain a thousand times over again if it brings us such reward..."

Both sets of eyes drawn back - as they had been over and over and over again, never tiring of looking - to the tiny, brand new being suckling milk at mother's pink rosebud.

"Khimuk - Kai", Gulf's voice was gentle, singsong.

"Our own pearl"

"What do you think his given, formal name will be?"

"We await the monks' naming ceremony, but it will surely be heavenly, since his mother is Ciel"

Gulf's giggles rocking his body, causing baby to grunt out frustration upon his nipple, as milk flow was momentarily interrupted.

"But do you see that temper, Mew? The boy hasn't even ventured to open his eyes to the world yet and he is full of fire already. He is a child of the sun, Solaris, I am sure"

Warm chuckles from the elder, father's pride:

"Perhaps, perhaps. My mother used to say I barely left her breast before I turned a year old"

"Then it should be where you got your strength from" - pinching mischievously at sculpted pectorals, then all at once, lip quivering as almond eyes filled with tears...

"What is it, darling? Is the pain so bad?", alpha alert.

"N-no it's just...just...thank you"

Shoulders relaxing back:

"For what, my silly one? Midwife said your emotions may be unsteady-"

"-For hearing me, for finding me, for giving me Kai"

And suddenly all seriousness...

"I would do anything for you"

"I know. When I remember myself alone in the attic sketching the sea that I had never even seen, or lying wait in my chamber with such fearful dread when we first were married-"

"-Don't think of that time, I beg you-"

"-I wonder - I am filled with wonder - to be here in this moment, us three"

Alpha nuzzling his ear...

"Shall we make it four soon?"

Smarting slap to his thigh.

"I will tell your mother"

Hearty laughter, then:

"It feels strange, so strange, to hear that, after all this time"

"Then, shall I tell you Queen Thalassa's tale and how I came to be entangled?"

"Hmmm...tomorrow. Tell it tomorrow. Because tonight, is only for us"

And as Solaris wrapped his embrace tighter about the two, he knew that he held the whole world, right there in his arms.

~~

A/N:

Khimuk (Kai-mook) translates as...Pearl!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.8K 749 14
š‘¹š’†š’•š’“š’‚š’„š’† š’Žš’š š’š’Šš’‘š’”, š’†š’“š’‚š’”š’† š’šš’š’–š’“ š’•š’š’–š’„š’‰, š‘°š’•'š’” š’‚š’š’ š’•š’š’ š’Žš’–š’„š’‰ š’‡š’š’“ š’Žš’†. š‘«š’Šš’”š’‚š’‘š’‘š’†š’‚š’“ š’š’Šš’Œš’† š’‚š’”š’‰š’†š’” ļæ½...
79.8K 3.5K 15
Mew is 3 years elder than Gulf. It was a senior junior fight that created enmity between them. Three years later when Mew was running his parents' en...
766 96 6
[š–ššš§š š—š¢ššš§] "Take your eyes off my man!" He says with burning flames in his eyes. As the title says but it's Omega Verse WangXian modern au! ...
3.7K 93 12
Sold by my father to a group of strange men, I vow to never trust another male again. When my buyers turn out to be scientists who plan to experimen...