Pokémon AU: Dimensional Trave...

By Arcti_Star_Fox

(BE WARNED: this is an Alternate Universe I wrote before Pokémon Journeys continued Lillie, Gladion, and Lusa... More

Chapter 1: The Start of a New Adventure
Chapter 2: Entering a Showcase!
Chapter 3: Performing with a Flair
Chapter 4: Journey to Lumiose City
Chapter 5: Data Collection
Chapter 6: Dreams or Memories?
Chapter 7: Nights to Remember
Chapter 8: Tag-Battle!
Chapter 9: Waiting, Waiting, Waiting...
Chapter 10: Lights, Camera, Action!
Chapter 11: All Aboard!
Chapter 13: An Avalanche, Absol?
Chapter 14: Christmas with Family
Chapter 15: Shattered, Again...
Chapter 16: Resolve to Reunite
Chapter 17: Ultra Legends are Written
Chapter 18: Return to Alola
Epilogue
Final Notes/ Acknowledgements

Chapter 12: It Gets Worse...

8 1 0
By Arcti_Star_Fox

 They arrived in Dendemille Town on the ninth of December. They entered the hostel... though it was more like a fancy AirB&B. It had lovely and beautifully decorated rooms with a fireplace for warm fires, a sitting area with a decorated Christmas Tree, hooks for stockings, everything they would need; including and not limited to two extra rooms for offices and a base of operations. The Landlady was wonderful, although she mistook Mitsuki for a different Mitsuki--the missing Bushida daughter. 'Tsuki politely explained the situation and mentioned that it wasn't the first time she'd been mistaken for this missing person.

To say Gladion's heart sank would be an understatement for how he felt about her statement. He felt like something had pierced his heart straight through. It gave him massive heartaches that he could barely explain--could barely explain why this mattered so much to him--even though there was a valid explanation in his theory.

They were able to work in peace for a few days. Each morning the Dimensional Travelers and the Aether Siblings would set out on ride Pokémon to scan the surrounding area for any anomalies in the landscape. Mitsuki shared a Corviknight with Leah, Maria rode around on a Venomoth, Chloe took to the skies on a Charizard, Josh on a Flygon, Heather a Metang, Lillie on her Altaria, and Gladion on his trusty Noivern. Each of the Dimensional Travelers were given Ultra Guardian Uniforms, or at the very least modified versions of the uniforms which are modified Riding Gear. With this special gear, they could communicate with Mission Control--Lusamine--Aether Paradise if needed, and each other as well as withstand the cold of the mountains and reduce damage if they were attacked. Magearna gave them a vague direction, using a compass rigged to her Soul-Heart and the usual beam of light pointing in the direction required. But each day, they would return empty-handed.

It got worse.

On Tuesday the Fourteenth, Gladion fell ill. Seriously ill. Without him they had no sense of direction should Magearna fail, since he had spent years studying ancient methods of travel as a pastime, and during his six months away from home, he used the stars to guide him around the islands in addition to maps. The Compass was rigged to track Professor Mohn, not the cardinal directions. Even more stupid, if the Rotom Phones could not find the global magnetic field they could not track cardinal direction either.

Mitsuki learned this the hard way.

When she found out Gladion was ill--with a dangerously high fever and many other symptoms of a bad flu--she panicked and ran off into the woods to cry for a bit, needing peace and quiet that the hostel couldn't provide. When she received the text from Lillie that he was being transferred to the local hospital for treatment and she should come say goodbye, her heart wrenched. But, the next text made her laugh through the tears.

Gladion had managed to wrestle his phone from his mother by using his Pokémon's cleverness and texted Mitsuki. In his delirious state, he'd made several spelling and grammar mistakes that made him sound like he had a very bad hangover. But, he got the point across.

"Hahaha! *Hic, sniff* Okay, okay... I-*sob* I'm coming... Ummmm... which way is back?"

Kyra and the rest of her Pokémon looked around with her, surrounded by snowy woods. As a Lucario, Kyra was able to pick up on the auras fairly quickly, even though her master tried to use technology to solve the problem and failed. "'Tsuki~Sama, I believe the way out is that way. I sense Gladion's Lucario's aura coming this way."

"Okay, I gotcha... Ooh~ I sense it too. Lucario! Over here!"

His jackal-like head appeared over the snowy bushes. "There you are. Come now, and quickly!"

"We're coming!" She picked up her hat, retrieved her Pokémon, and followed Lucario back out into town. She carefully patted her bag, making sure the Eggs tucked away inside were safe and warm in the bitter winter cold.

By the time they made it back to town, Gladion had already been set up in a hospital room and the Doctor had come to see him already. Her friends were waiting in the lobby waiting area, aside from his sister and mother. The remainder of his team were also waiting for her. Umbreon almost leaped up onto her lap when she sat down with her bag in her lap, but Nymphia held him down, citing that the eggs had to stay hidden until Christmas the following week.

When the nurse came down to fetch someone, she called out Mitsuki's name. A hush fell over the room. Nobody knew who she was talking about. The nurse cleared her throat and asked again, this time specifying who was asking for her. Confused, she stood up and approached the nurse, followed by Umbreon, Nymphia, Blaze, both Lucario, Silvally, both Lycanroc, and both Zoroark. The nurse seemed surprised at the amount of Pokémon she had with her.

"Are you Mitsuki Bushida?"

"Yes."

"Does the name Gladion Aether ring any bells?"

"Yes, my friends and I are traveling with his family in search of Professor Mohn Aether, if you've heard of him..."

"I see..." The nurse blinked, then held her clipboard at arms length, as if she was wondering if she was reading things right.

Mitsuki tilted her head and asked, "Ma'am, are you alright?"

"Y-yes... It's just... you look like a little girl who my Cousin--a nurse in Alola--assisted through a similar illness when the girl was four years old. She didn't give out names due to privacy policies, but she mentioned that Young Gladion Aether was a dear friend of hers and visited her in hospice many times during her stay."

Mitsuki swallowed. She remembered, vaguely, being very sick for a few months when she was very little and her friend visiting her in hospice, but she couldn't be sure.

"Anyway, I'll take you up to Mr. Aether's room right away." She looked at the group of Pokémon behind her. "I'm afraid some of you might have to stay behind..."

Mitsuki felt all the Pokémon's auras sink and grow sad.

"How many are allowed in at one time?"

"We allow many, but without proof of ownership we can't allow them in."

"Oh... Well... I don't expect you to believe the testimony of one teenage girl, but... pretty much every Pokémon in this group here--except the shinies, the orange Lycanroc, and the Mega-Stone-holding Lucario--belongs to Gladion. That's Umbreon, Zoroark, Silvally, and Midnight-Lycanroc," she explained, gesturing to each in turn. "The rest belong to me: Blaze, Nymphia, Kyra, Zinnia, and Twilight. I have one more, but I think she'll be more comfortable once we're up in the room... White walls remind her of a bad time in her life... and I can tell Silvally's equally as anxious," Mitsuki explained, stroking Silvally's back and shoulders, "Gladion will know what to do."

"'Tsuki, I think Gladion still has his bag with all his Pokéballs in it. That should be proof enough," Maria said.

"Thanks, Maria." Prior to this, if someone needed a heal or medicine of some kind, she was their gal. However, a Full Heal wasn't going to fix this. She knew that too.

"Very well. I'll take all of you up. Miss Bushida, would you kindly recall your Pokémon and follow me?"

"Yes, Ma'am." She recalled all but Nymphia, placed the Poké Balls in the right pocket of her huge bag, and scooped up both Eeveelutions. Once they were out of earshot and the nurse gave her a strange look, Mitsuki elaborated on her decision. She opened the main compartment of her bag and showed the nurse the eggs. "Nymphia and Gladion's Umbreon produced these eggs a week or so ago. It was a complete fluke; we were staying in a hotel nowhere near a Daycare in Shalour and these two happened to be left alone in the same room for 'too long.' We're not mad at them, since we should have seen it coming. Umbreon would do anything to protect Nymphia even though she can handle herself. We're planning on giving the resulting Eevees to my fellow Orphan, Leah, and Gladion's little sister, Lillie, for Christmas. I'd like the parents to be there when they hatch, unlike Nymphia who hatched in my arms after I'd won her egg at a Showcase in Santalune. Hopefully, they'll hatch soon so we--I, I guess--can train the Eevees up a little before Christmas. Gladion read somewhere that having Pokémon of the same Evolutionary line or tree around the egg can help with hatch-times, especially if it's the parent since the mother will instinctively incubate the egg. The father does too, although it's more likely to happen if the parents are of the same Evolutionary line or tree. So... Eevee eggs will hatch quicker when kept around other Eevees or any of the Eeveelutions, and Vulpix eggs will hatch quicker when kept around other Vulpix--of either form--or around Ninetales of either form."

"Interesting... Pokémon breeding is not my expertise, but I grew up in Pokémon Daycares where my parents worked as medical practitioners for the Pokémon in the Daycare and even the eggs kept there."

"Really? That sounds like an interesting profession."

"It was, they have far more crazy stories than I can count on two hands and two feet!" the nurse joked as they rode the elevator upward. They stopped on the third floor. The directory next to the elevator said this was the level with Intensive Care Units. Luckily for Mitsuki's anxiety, the nurse led her away from the ICU and toward a less intensive unit. However, when she passed the window into his room, she noticed he was hooked up to a number of various monitors and even had tubes helping him breathe.

Good Lord! He really is that sick... He didn't look terribly happy, and he seemed extremely uncomfortable about the tubes up his nose and the intravenous needle in his arm, not to mention the hospital gown. He was laying back on the bed, staring at the ceiling, intermittently shivering from cold-flashes or sweating buckets from heat-flashes. The tubes made it almost impossible to sneeze properly, and it annoyed him to no end because he clearly had one brewing that had nowhere to go. Although, at the same time, it was hilariously amusing to watch his face scrunch as he attempted to get the sneeze out of his system before Mitsuki entered.

She waited outside until Silvally thumped her on the back, anxious to see his master from the bedside. "Okay, okay! We're going in," Mitsuki protested. The nurse let her in and instantly all of Gladion's Pokémon bolted to his bedside. Umbreon was the only one small enough to hop up on the bed and curl up for physical contact, but Silvally and the others were easily able to get their share by gathering around him and nuzzling his hands as he reached for each in turn. "Is this proof enough?" Mitsuki asked.

The nurse looked stunned. "Yesssssss..." she hummed.

"*Cough!* Alright, everyone settle down! Settle down.." Gladion said in a hoarse whisper. It shocked Mitsuki how his illness went from zero symptoms to full-blown influenza if not worse within twenty-four hours.

He peeked over his Pokémon's heads to meet Mitsuki's eyes. His subtle smile turned to a slight frown. "Why did you run off?" he croaked.

"I-I--" Mitsuki stuttered, choking up from the range of emotions in her throat. "I-I just needed air..."

He reached a hand for her cheek. At first, her reaction was to lean away because force-field-against-germs-attitude. But, Silvally sensed his master's intention and kept her from leaning further. Gladion's hand cupped her cheek, rubbing away a tear stain with his thumb. "You've been crying..."

"Of all the people in the group to get sick, *sniff* you were the least of my worries..." She sank down in a chair the nurse brought over. "I didn't think that this could knock you down hard enough to warrant a hospital stay." The heel of her boot clicked on the linoleum tile floor as she tapped it anxiously.

"Until we know what is going on Gladion will stay here," Lusamine said. "As long as he's not contagious, we'll be coming back to visit him."

"Mother, Lillie, may I--*cough!* Excuse me--speak with 'Tsuki alone?"

"Of course," Lusamine said. As they left, Mitsuki could tell that Lillie wanted to be a fly on the wall for this conversation, but had no choice since she knew how Gladion acted.

Once the doors were shut, Mitsuki placed Nymphia on the bed and asked, "What do you need me to talk about?"

"The eggs, do you have them?"

"Safe and warm in my bag." She looked over her shoulder, noted Lillie was out of sight, and placed the bag on the bed. She opened the main compartment and pulled each egg out in turn, placing them delicately on Gladion's lap between Umbreon and Nymphia.

"They're developing cracks... I think they'll hatch soon."

"I know," Mitsuki grinned, still wiping away tears from the corners of her eyes. "I wanted to tell you earlier, but.... Well, this happened. Worse, I found out that the Rotom Phones don't show cardinal directions if they can't find the electromagnetic field of the earth. Mountains and dense forests, and even snow, disrupt the sensors. I might need to go find a legit compass rather than rely on the phones..."

"Who's leading the expedition now?"

"Probably Lillie... without your expertise we have no sense of direction, and we don't have the leadership required to keep the mission intact with you out of action. I-I know I was basically second-in-command, but I know more about being Vice President of a High School Club, not Commander of a Rescue Team."

"I know more about--*cough, cough!* Ugh...--leading a rescue mission than I do being President of a million-dollar Foundation. Yet I'm still being trusted with decisions regarding the Foundation. If I can lead the Aether Foundation, you can lead this Rescue Mission."

"That's different..." Mitsuki protested, "and that isn't what I meant..."

Gladion coughed like he was hacking up a lung. When he regained control of himself, he asked, "It's not? Then what did you mean?"

"I meant that I don't have the skills required to actually be in the field leading and coordinating the team. I know it's a basic, simple job: use Laser-Scanning Technology to scan the ground for any anomalies and follow Magearna for a general location. But what do I do if someone gets hurt or dies under my supervision? What do I do if we are attacked and are forced to flee in an unfamiliar direction? In the other Universe, there can be legal repercussions of putting so many lives on a single person's shoulders and somebody dies because that person was unqualified, and I don't want your mother getting tied up in those repercussions. She's been through enough."

Gladion finally sneezed, sniffled a little, and agreed. "I would have to agree. But I discussed the matter with her and she believes that as the most responsible--and we all agreed downright helpful--person in the group you are qualified to lead. Maria is the pharmacist and has been studying our world's medicines and medical care for months now. If it weren't for your universe's--*cringe*--education and legal systems she would probably have her doctorate in the subject by now. More than capable of being your second-in-command since she's rational, loyal, analytical, and very hardworking. I hate to say it but Chloe might also be a good choice now that she's beginning to see reason. Although that's your choice. If you feel more comfortable with Lillie and her intuition then go with Lillie. Whatever your choice, you will make the right decision."

Mitsuki cracked a smile. "I appreciate your words of encouragement. We'll just have to wait and see..." Her smile faded. Her eyes grew clouded with self-doubt and even pain that he could not identify until she spilled. "I feel so guilty..."

He tilted his head, stroking Umbreon's soft fur and twirling his fingers around Nymphia's ear. "Why? You did nothing?"

"R-remember the night of the twenty-eighth when I woke you up...?"

"Yes...?"

"I had a dream that night... a harsh nightmare that woke me in cold sweat. I--I saw... what appeared to be future events... In one scene--*sniff*--I-I--I saw y-you p-practically unconscious in a hospital bed... a-and look ar-around..." The sobs wrenched through her throat, and escaped as the tears began falling again.

Against better judgment, he took her by the arm, gently, and pulled her up into his arms. She needed the comfort, and he, having the most experience comforting her when her hyper-vivid dreams got the better of her, was the best choice. He was careful about the IV needle in his left arm, but he didn't have to be since all tubes went to the left and she was on his right.

He sat there, letting her cry into his shoulder, rubbing soothing circles on her back and shoulder. Nymphia curled around her two eggs, half in Mitsuki's lap, half in Gladion's, and sharing the responsibility with Umbreon. Their tiny noses touching like they were kissing was just the cherry on top, and made Mitsuki smile at the future parents.

She would have fallen asleep there, if it weren't for the doctor walking in at that moment followed by his mother.

"Oh, I beg your pardon, Mr. Aether, Miss... err..."

"Bushida," Gladion completed.

"Ahh, yes, yes... Nurse Rose told me she was here," the doctor said, before taking a second look. "Huh? Hmmm..."

"A-Are you going to say I look like the missing little girl Mitsuki Bushida?"

"No, I was going to say you look like a patient I had when I was in Med-School in Alola. But, now that you mention it, Miss Bushida, you do look quite like the missing Bushida daughter."

"Huh... First Nurse Rose... now you... Doctor..."

"Devon. Doctor Devon."

"Uhhhhh... Doesn't ring any bells. If I was the missing girl, I'd be too old to remember anything of use."

"Oh, that's a shame. I never forgot that little girl, she was a ball of energy and positivity despite her illness." He turned back to his clipboard and asked, "Mrs. Aether, are you certain Miss Bushida is--"

"Miss Bushida is my son's friend, the closest since little Mitsuki Bushida--pure coincidence with the names and appearance as far as we know--went missing twelve years ago. I find it perfectly acceptable for Miss Bushida to know the diagnosis, for if she wasn't here I would certainly tell her myself."

"I see. Well, it seems this is just a bad virus. It's non-contagious, lucky for your girl-friend there," Dr. Devon joked, grinning at the pair still cuddled up together on the bed. Mitsuki was quick to blush and untangle herself from Gladion's grasp. "Ah-haha! I'm just teasing, Miss Bushida. *Ahem* Since it is a virus, we just have to let it run its course. We obtained medical records from Alola and a virus like this is unheard of in your medical history, not to mention in this severity. You have been vaccinated for it, and recently got the booster, so we don't know where this came from, especially with such aggression and severity."

"How--How is it transmitted?" Mitsuki asked. "I-I'm just curious."

"I'm glad you asked, Miss Bushida. It's transmitted through contaminated food, much like some bacterial infections, or certain bodily fluids. Specifically feces."

Mitsuki cringed.

"A cringeworthy fact indeed. Anyway, since it is not transmitted through the air or through physical contact you're pretty safe from contracting the virus. No need to worry. As for treatment, we'll keep the IV fluids and the oxygen unless things get better and continue to monitor. With this virus it compromises the immune system for the duration of the illness--it's already dealing with the repercussions of the virus--and leaves the patient susceptible to other infections. As is the case here: there is a second diagnosis of mild influenza. We determined this variant to be aggressive to the host--thus resulting in the breathing problems, muscle aches, fatigue, and nausea among other symptoms--but not as contagious as other variants. Since your immune system is already compromised with the first virus, it's having trouble dealing with the second. This could get nasty really fast and we want you to be aware of that. We'll keep you here until your immune system can take over for us." His eyes landed on the eggs. "Now, before I answer any more questions, might I ask about the eggs hatching in your lap?"

"Huhhhhhh?" Mitsuki and Gladion chorused. They looked down at the eggs they hadn't noticed were hatching. Umbreon was trying to calm Nymphia--who was pretty much a ball of nerves at that point--and keep himself calm at the same time as his two children broke through the shells separating them from the world beyond.

Two male Eevees hatched in Gladion's lap, surrounded by white walls, hospital equipment, and numerous Pokémon and people. Umbreon's tail was a blur of happiness, not to mention Nymphia beside him.

It took them ten whole minutes to get everyone settled back down. At that point, Doctor Devon had left and visiting hours were ending. Gladion asked Mitsuki to watch over his Pokémon and keep them company. He knew Silvally would be anxious, but he also knew Silvally trusted Mitsuki and was willing to defend her if it came down to it.

By the time the visiting hours were over, the Eevees had been caught in their respective balls, given held items to differentiate between them, and all of Gladion's Pokémon had been transferred over to Mitsuki to take care of.

Everything was well.

Until it wasn't...

As the days ticked by and the missions began turning up results, Gladion's condition in the hospital deteriorated rapidly. He was put into a medically induced coma to preserve his current state and allow the immune-boosting meds to do their work. He was put in the Intensive Care Unit, and placed on life-support due to the ordeal and had a number of different meds coursing through his veins at any one time. The number of needles poked into his skin throughout the week was disgusting.

On the nineteenth, the night of the full moon, Mitsuki came to visit him with all the Pokémon in her care. She had some exciting news, but saddening as well.

"Hey..." she whispered, as if she was scared speaking too loudly would wake him, "I've got some exciting news."

Of course, he didn't respond. Not even a smile. Not a single indication he knew she was there, even in his aura. He was still and silent.

"We found an anomaly in the mountains west of here. The laser-scanning worked and we can strip away the mountain forests to view the landscape underneath. We theorize the reason the signals are coming from there is because Mohn is trapped in there somehow, but he appears to be moving--which is why it was so difficult to get an accurate reading--within the building. He's alive. How exciting is that?"

Still no response.

She frowned. "I-I know you can't hear me... A-and I know if you could hear me and react you would be as excited as I am. I mean; the man, the myth, the legend, Professor Mohn! Ah-ha... I-I'm sorry you couldn't be there to witness the discovery. You should have seen the look on Lusamine's face. She looked... happier than I've ever seen her." She took a deep breath, holding Eirene and the rest of her Pokémon for comfort. "We're so close, Gladion... So close to finding your father. My friends and I, we're one step closer to getting home... And after all these years apart, you're finally going to be reunited with your father..."

She paused, as if waiting for a response from him. A storm was brewing outside, but the full moon glimmered through the window. She glanced at the heart monitor. She'd seen it every day since he went into the ICU, listened to the steady beeping that held the rhythm of his heartbeat.

She added, "Ash, Serena, Goh, and James have traveled up to help us. Even Hau sacrificed the warmth of tropical Alola to come offer assistance. It was... quite nice to meet him. So positive, so dedicated and resolute. I can see how he would be so important to Lillie. They spent the entire day just catching up; I wasn't going to stop them. Ha, he even brought Malasadas for all of us! Even you! If you want it, you better recover quickly, or one of us might eat it before Christmas! Arceus, dammit, now I'm hungry..." She breathed a shaky sigh, trying to hold back tears, knowing he wouldn't be aware of her need for comfort. "I-I know you think those things are too sweet, and they are diabetes-sweet. I-It's so embarrassing to admit it, but I kind of compare it to you: you have been nothing but a gentleman to me but you've also got a badass side I've got to be aware of. That... made no sense, did it? A-Anyway... I-I just came to update you on what's happened today..."

His Pokémon gathered around him. Umbreon took his sons to nuzzle his trainer, hoping he would at least give some response.

Still nothing.

Even when Silvally tried to elicit a response--nuzzling Gladion's free hand--he got nothing.

"Your Pokémon miss you, Gladion. They miss your companionship and leadership. And I--I miss your comfort. I'm not the only one: Lillie cried herself to sleep for the past three days since you were put in the ICU. Silvally did too, weeping into Eirene's fur every night. I-I hate to admit it, but I've been tempted a few times, especially when Josh tried to win me over in the most fucked up way. I know I'll have to explain twice when you're awake, but I'll explain anyway. He slipped a drug into one of Chloe's drinks and it made her highly aggressive. She broke a glass and tried to hurt me with it, but was unsuccessful thanks to her own Arcanine. Ninetales and Delphox still tried to flirt with Snowy and Blaze, though. Thank goodness Lucario, Lycanroc, Twilight, and Arcanine weren't buying that bullshit. I'm fine, and we managed to subdue Chloe and get her help. Josh spent the night elsewhere, for lack of better wording. But I'd be a liar if I didn't say I was glad Silvally and the others were on my side. Nobody says 'Fuck off, Josh' better than Silvally's snarling.

"There's... one more thing I would say I'd be a liar if I didn't say this... I really miss you. I miss your comfort. I miss the warmth of your embrace at night. I miss the warmth in your eyes as we chat and flirt in private, and oh, how I miss having your strength, resolve, and confidence standing beside me like a knight in shining armor... That... that sounded less cheesy in my head..." She tucked a stray strand of hair away from her face. "Gah, I guess this is why all my fantasies feature you as the main character now... You've been there for me in a way Maria... just isn't."

She pauses, again wishing he would give some indication that he was there, other than his physical presence and steady heartbeat. Her eyes rested on the breathing tube strapped to his face, helping him breathe, and his lips underneath. She trailed her eyes down to his still, motionless, slightly curled and calloused hands. Hands that had reassured her that all would be well only days before. One of them lay curled in a small, loose fist, palm up on the thin bedding.

When she touched it, wrapping her fingers around his palm, the tips of his fingers were cold but his palm was warm. Nothing like they were only days ago when he was well enough to sit up and talk to her.

She knew visiting hours would be ending soon. She wasn't getting the same comfort, but she just needed to feel his touch.

She took a risk she hoped she would never take again. She leaned over, brushed his fringe aside with her free hand, and pressed a delicate kiss against his temple. One could scarcely say it happened, but the tiny lip-balm smudge said otherwise. "*Chu* Goodnight, Gladion. I'll come back tomorrow, hopefully with more news."

She turned to leave, gathering up her Pokémon and Gladion's, but as she started to walk away, something held her fast.

At first, she thought Nymphia was keeping her there, perhaps fan-girling over the "ship" moment. Mitsuki turned to scold her Sylveon, but Nymphia, Umbreon, and their sons were already on the ground beside her looking confused. So what was holding her?

Her next thought was Eirene or Silvally, but they were on the other side of the bed, staring at Gladion's hand... now outstretched to stay in contact with hers. She then felt the pressure of his fingers against her hand, gripping her fingers with strength she didn't know he had. His heart-rate had elevated rapidly, indicated by the rapid beeping emanating from the monitor.

The on-duty nurse entered the room seconds later, wondering what the hell was going on. She encountered Mitsuki--who'd become well-known among the patients of the hospital for her talent with young children and mystical powers--standing at the bedside staring at Gladion's fingers grasping her own, not intending to let go.

"What is going on...?" she asked.

Mitsuki stared, wide eyed, and whispered, "He knows I'm here..." She looked at the nurse and said, "I'm an Aura Guardian in training, I know how to tell if someone knows you're there. A-and yet..." she trailed off, standing closer to him and shifting her hand to interlock their fingers. "He wasn't aware until I turned to leave... I hope... because I did everything but pour my heart out."

"Ah-haha! That's a very common response to talking to a loved one in a coma. Some people don't realize that even when people are comatose, they're occasionally still aware of their surroundings. We haven't noticed any brain activity, but his heart-rate--and the fact he's not letting you go--probably mean he's going to wake up in the next few days. I'd give him until Christmas Eve. It could take longer, it could be shorter; who knows?"

Mitsuki blushed. "Everybody assumes we're dating; we're not. We're just friends."

"Ah. I'm sorry."

"Don't be, I get where you're coming from." She squeezed Gladion's hand, but he held her hand tighter. There was no denying he was aware she was there. She could feel it; he was trying to formulate thoughts, but whatever meds he was on were preventing him from forming coherent sentences. It was pretty amusing. "Hehe, what are you trying to tell me, Gladion?"

His cheeks flushed, his auras went blank for a moment, eliciting a laugh from Mitsuki.

"Didn't Ash tell you how Aura Guardian powers work? You should've remembered--"

"I forgot you are a Guardian... Shit. Please don't tell Lillie what I said... err.. thought."

"Pfft. Like hell I would anyway. I can barely understand what you're trying to say to me."

"Really?"

"Really. Can you tell me how long you've been aware of my presence beside you...?"

"Err... 'Bout a day or so. Either the monitors aren't as sensitive or you weren't paying attention, or you would have noticed. I only figured out I could move my fingers this morning, but I don't think anybody was there."

It's so strange hearing Gladion's voice in my head! Mitsuki thought, I wonder if the nurses knew about this. "Umm.. Ma'am?"

"Yes?"

"Gladion says he could move his fingers starting this morning, a sign he's waking up. Was anyone aware he can?"

"Let's see... Hmmm... I don't know. I didn't hear any news about this Patient until my shift started. How are-- Oh, right, Aura. That's useful."

"Indeed, b-but it can be a bit of a cuse at times... Sometimes you read things you regret reading... sometimes for the emotional impact, sometimes for the repercussions. I-I--I learned that the hard way... I'd rather not talk about it."

The nurse gave her the side eye. "I'm tempted to ask what you read and from whose aura but that's just too nosy."

"Please don't..." She looked back to Gladion on the bed. A thin smile had crossed his lips in the moments she was speaking to someone else. It was as if he found it comforting to know she was there.

"His sister was here around lunchtime with a friend of hers; wonder if he knew about them."

"Oh, Lillie and Hau?"

"I was aware, but they weren't as vigilant, or as physical, as you are... !!!! I--I-- You know what I mean..."

Mitsuki laughed, even though she had tears slipping down her cheeks. "Yes, I know what you mean. *Ahem* Gladion says he was aware of their presence, and likely could hear what they were talking about, but they weren't as observant of the signs as I am. That--that makes me wonder... Could you hear any word I was saying?"

"To be frank, yes. But, around the time you started talking about Josh and what he did, I was too furious to pay attention to anything else... until you held my hand. I-I won't say anything else for lack of words." The vibrant blush across his cheeks said more than he would--or could--say out loud. He gave her hand a squeeze, both reassuring himself and her.

A doctor came into the room, followed by another nurse, and paused at the door. "I'm sorry to break the moment but Visiting Hours are over for now. I'm going to have to ask you to come back tomorrow, Mademoiselle Bushida."

"... Oui, Monsieur." She turned back to Gladion. "I have to go now. I'll come back tomorrow. Maybe then, we could have a proper conversation out loud."

"Maybe... I don't want you to leave..."

"I don't want to leave either, but in this case rules are rules." She turned to Silvally and the rest of Gladion's Pokémon. "It's time to say goodnight."

Silvally and Umbreon were the first to jump in. Silvally pushed his nose between Mitsuki and Gladion's hands, pushing them apart. He rested his chin on Gladion's open palm, begging for scratches. Umbreon came from the other side, with both of his sons, and wormed his way under his trainer's limp arm. The thin smile crossing his lips as his Pokémon surrounded him was beyond heartwarming. The bond shared between Pokémon and trainer was unbreakable and beautiful. She left her hand gently on Silvally's neck, and her other on Eirene's metal mask.

Gladion couldn't speak, but he knew his Pokémon could feel his gratitude for their support.

"Come now, it's time to go, let the doctor do his work," Mitsuki hummed, sadly, gently tugging on Silvally and Umbreon. Umbreon took one of his sons--wearing a Choice Scarf--by the scruff of his neck and jumped to the ground, chittering to encourage the second to follow him. Nymphia used her feelers to wrap around her second son's--wearing a Silk Scarf--waist, encouraging him to jump down.

Mitsuki took the Eevee in her arms and followed the first nurse out of the room. As she walked down the hall toward the elevator, she began running over multiple scenarios in her head, many of them on Christmas. It soon came to her attention that she hadn't selected a Christmas gift for Gladion like she had for Lillie and Leah, as well as the others. Then she remembered something Lillie said about Gladion's favorite Pokémon back in August when they were breaking the ice.

She knew what her goal was by the time she stepped out the door of the hospital. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.6K 230 29
When bad things happen, it is not entirely uncommon to lie. People do it as a means of protection but what happens when telling the truth could have...
53.3K 685 37
Moon has had a crush on Gladion since day one. But no matter what she does, he doesn't seem to notice her. Maybe a traumatic catastrophe will bring t...
15.4K 568 41
"A 𝓼𝓶𝓲𝓵𝓮 gracing her lips, tears still slipping down her cheeks... it was a 𝓽𝓻𝓪𝓰𝓲𝓬 smile." With the wind in your hair, your journey starts...
993 94 33
This is a book I accidentally deleted. I have made slight changes. My chapters will be slightly shorter due to these complications and the fact that...