Against Reason

De ashtraykale

Daphne Collins, a 21-year-old aspiring artist who is attempting to make her way in the world of the bustling... Mais

Playlist & Aesthetics
Chapter One - A Window of Possibility
Chapter Two - Pasta Nights
Chapter Three - Parks & Pangs
Chapter Four - Bad Dreams
Chapter Five - Under the Weather
Chapter Six - Puppy Love
Chapter Seven - Birthday Chaos
Chapter Eight - Family Film Nights
Chapter Nine - Reminiscence
Chapter Ten - Opportunities
Chapter Eleven - Out of Comfort
Chapter Twelve - First Days Suck
Chapter Thirteen - High Impacts
Chapter Fourteen - Past Pains
Chapter Fifteen - Afterlife
Chapter Sixteen - Little Ballerina
Chapter Seventeen - Late Night Talking
Chapter Eighteen - Ground Coffee Beans
Chapter Nineteen - Glitch in the Plumbing
Chapter Twenty - Arts 'n' Crafts
Chapter Twenty One - Heartache Calls
Chapter Twenty Two - Night Walks in New York
Chapter Twenty Three - Fervent Touches
Chapter Twenty Four - Torment
Chapter Twenty Five - I Can't See You, So You Can't See Me
Chapter Twenty Six - Intercourse
Chapter Twenty Seven - Discourteous
Chapter Twenty Eight - Do We Still Have Apples?
Chapter Twenty Nine - My Tears Ricochet
Chapter Thirty - Oh, How You Love Me So
Chapter Thirty One - Hospital Scares
Chapter Thirty Two - Knight in Shining Armour
Chapter Thirty Three - Nervous Salads
Chapter Thirty Four - Soul Sisters
Chapter Thirty Five - War of Words
Chapter Thirty Six - Dire Straits
Chapter Thirty Seven - Regret
Chapter Thirty Eight - Bun In The Oven
Chapter Thirty Nine - Endeavour for Forgiveness
Chapter Forty - Tis' the Damn Season
Chapter Forty One - What's a Capricorn?
Chapter Forty Two - A Little Snippet of Love
Chapter Forty Three - Shopping for Two
Chapter Forty Four - When Two Became Three
Chapter Forty Five - In a Decade or So...
Bonus Chapter - With All My Heart
Bonus Chapter - Home Run
Bonus Chapter - Our Last Slice of Pie

Epilogue - Two Promises, One Soul

1.7K 49 11
De ashtraykale

Chapter Song - You Are In Love by Taylor Swift

*A year and little over half later*

Blessed with a day of sun and the lack of dark grey clouds, it's truly a perfect day for a time I've been waiting for since I proposed to Daphne. 

It was a longingly awaited day, but I would've waited decades until she was ready. You don't always get a second chance in love, especially with someone thats yours on an infinite level. 

But through all the planning, the stresses from planning, and pushing through with three kids - we're finally here, on a day about us, for us. You could've thrown me into the burning pits of an active volcano, and nothing would've stopped me from being here. 

On the day of our wedding. 

As I stand in my cleanly pressed black tuxedo, a simple suit, but incredibly elegant and timeless. I stare at myself in the mirror, a little nervous, much excited, and a whole lot ready to make this woman my wife. 

I reminisce back to the day I got down on one nervous knee, a surprisingly feeling, since i'd been so ready and forward to propose - and I was still so nervous, but in the best fucking way possible. 

I wait downstairs for Daphne. To her it's another simple date night, a break from the kids and a time where we can spend just between us two. 

In reality, I'm finally asking her the big question, one i've been so ultimately ready to pop for months. 

As always when I see her, my heart skips a beat and my entire body gasps in awe at her striking beauty. Both inside and out, I can't believe I wake up to her every day and know she's mine, and I'm hers. 

"Like the dress?" she asks, doing a small spin for me. The burnt orange chiffon of her dress flares outwards as she spins, as the delicate slip dress perfectly drapes over her curves. 

I step towards her, my hands gripping her waist and pulling her towards me. "It's beautiful, but nothing compared to you," I compliment and she rolls her eyes, but the blush on her cheeks snitches on her. 

"Ready?" she asks, grabbing her small clutch. 

"Yep," I nod, grabbing her hand and we head down to the garage. I help her into the passenger seat, before sitting in the drivers seat, turning the car on and reversing out onto the easy night of New York. 

She holds my hand in her lap like always, and the soft caress of her thumb on my hand settles some of the nerves in my stomach. This is what we've both been waiting for, for months, and I've never been so nervous. 

"Oh, Bridie isn't loving the crackers and cheese for school lunch anymore, so after we should stop and get something else before tomorrow," Daph' says. "And Hallie needs to be at school-"

"Stop, baby," I place a hand on her thigh. "We're not worrying about the kids right now, we're relaxing and having us time. We don't needs to worry about lunches or Hallie's arrival, plus I already know," I tell her, pressing a kiss to out interlocked hands. 

She sighs, smiling softly over to me. "I know, you're right. My brain is just on overthink mode. So..." she drifts off. "Where are we going anyways? You never told me," she questions. 

I bite back a smirk. "You'll see, it's a surprise,"

She groans. "Fine, but can I please have a clue?" she asks.

"Mm, no. You'll just have to wait," I tell her and she huffs, leaning back into the seat. "We're not far," I reassure her. 

Once we've parked, I open up her passenger door and help her out. "Thank you," she smiles that entrancing soft sparkle smile, with the moon glittering in her eyes. 

As we begin walking into central park, the winter night is soft with the December chill making even the trees shiver. "I can't believe Archer is six months old soon," Daph' says, a bittersweet tone to her voice. 

"Neither, it went by so fast," I reply.

"Too fast," she adds. "He'll be a toddler soon, hopefully thats not too chaotic," she jokes. 

"If we can survive Bridie, we'll be okay," I chuckle and she pinches my arm. "What? You know I'm right," I say and she just rolls her eyes, hiding a smile. 

"Where are we going?" she changes the topic. 

"Oh, baby, just follow me and enjoy the walk," I tell her and she groans, leaning into my side. I wrap and arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer. 

As the trees sway and the winter wind whistles, the nerves spike up and down more than I thought they would. I'm mainly incredibly excited, having waited so long, but excitement and nerves tend to at time fall into the same category. 

"Oh look, someone set up fairy lights on the bridge," Daph' points to Bow Bridge, which is lit up with twinkle lights that sparkle and illuminate the dim park. 

I smile. "Do you like it?" I ask.

"Yeah, it's beautiful- wait, why?" she stops, peering up at me with confusion. "Is this- did you set that up?" she asks. 

I hold her chin gently. "I did," I smile, pressing a soft kiss to her lips. 

"I-Is this what I think it is?" she questions, looping her arms around my neck. "Cause' yes. One hundred times yes," she smiles brightly. 

"Hey, let me ask first before you answer," I say, pinching her waist. 

She laughs. "Well ask already, please,"

I press another kiss to her lips before taking her hand, leading her to the bridge. Once settled on the middle of the bridge, Daphne's eyes glimmer with excitement. 

"Do you have a speech planned? Or are you going right into it?" she asks, unable to keep her smile contained, and it's temping to just kiss her until my lips hurt and we're both breathless. 

"Mhm," I hum. "Now, Daphne," I say and she giggles, her arms again looped around my neck. 

"Yes?" 

I pull her closer by the waist. "For a long time I believed love was over for me, that the romantic type had gone forever. It didn't matter if I had healed enough to be ready for new love, the opportunity and spark I could never find in anyone," I begin, swallowing as my heart beats erratically. 

"But you...you," I sigh, shaking my head as my lose myself at the sight of her in front of me. "I honestly, for a moment, couldn't believe you were real, but then I heard your voice and all my worry withered away," I say.

"It didn't take long for me to be completely enamoured by you, because not only were you a light I hadn't seen for a long time...you were a friend. Someone I could talk to, share moments with and rely on. It was an aspect of life i'd grown used to experiencing along, but realised I was dying silently without," 

"...So, you're not only my best friend who I'm so in love, and will be until the end of time," I cup her face in my hands, her eyes watery and glistening in the moonlight. "But you saved me from a lonely life I was so scared i'd be stuck in, so please, let me be your husband," I kneel down and she laughs as a few tears trickle down her face. 

I grab the velvet ring box from my jacket pocket, opening it up and peering up at her. "The ground is really cold, baby. So i'd appreciate it if you'd say something," I joke, but my knee cap is freezing on the damp cobblestone ground. 

"Oh," she snaps out of her haze. "Obviously I'll let you..." she drifts off, peering at the ring. "Thats- it's beautiful," she touches it. 

I smile, gently grabbing her hand and placing the ring on her ring finger. "It looks much better now," I stand back up, then bring her in for a firm kiss. 

She holds onto the nape of my neck, her lips warm against mine. "Fucking finally," I mutter, pulling her impossibly closer into me. 

My smile is unstoppable as I think back to that moment, and now at the day I'll finally be able to call her my wife and she - fucking finally - can call me her husband. 

"How you feeling?" Ben comes into the room, wearing a similar tuxedo to mine. 

I run a hand through my hair. "Ready. Have you seen Daph'?" I ask, because even if we've been apart for only a few hours, I miss her so much. 

"She looks beautiful man, you're going to freak when you see her," he says, a beaming smile on his face. 

As we wait a little longer just chatting in the room, we finally make our way out of the large mansion that we've stayed in since yesterday. The decorators did an excellent job setting up a simple elegant ceremonial place without over doing it, excentuating the old vineyard beauty. 

"Dan," my mother rushes up to me in the small garden, other guests lingering around as some sit and some stand around still chatting. "Oh, you look so handsome," she smiles, fixing my bow-tie. 

"Hey mum, dad," I smile. "Have you seen her?" I ask my mother. 

Her eyes glisten with a smile. "Oh, she's stunning," she says and my heart skips another beat. 

"And the girls, Archie?" I question, missing them as much as Daphne, though I at least got to see them this morning. 

"You'll be so overwhelmed," she pats my shoulder, before my dad and her go off and talk to one of my uncles. 

Taking a flute of champagne, I greet some of our guests, before disappearing around a nearby corner and take a seat on a bench. The long paths of flush grape vines blushing in the Spring sun spread over the vast estate, the plains completely void of any concrete buildings or offices. 

I pull out my vows from my jacket pocket, and read over them once again. The two of us decided we'd have a private moment for ourselves, consisting of both a first look and reading our vows just to one another. 

We decided together we wanted the moment to be as intimate as possible - it felt right for our promises to just be between us. 

"There you are," Mary huffs as she teleports in front of me. "We're ready if you are," she smiles, tugging at my arm to get me to stand. 

I run a nervous hand through my hair again, straightening my jacket as I follow her inside. She leads me into an open ballroom space, with the large arch windows showcasing the green grounds and introducing all the warm morning light inside. 

"Okay, turn around," Mary directs me, the photographers near me as they kneel for whatever shots they want to capture. 

I clasp my hands together as I wait excitedly but impatiently to see her. My shoulder is shortly tapped lightly and with anticipation I turn around, though instead of coming face to face with Daphne, my girls and Archie stand together. 

The girls are dressed in matching emerald green flower girl dresses, the top a delicate lace as the bottom flurries out in a soft chiffon. Archie wears a similar white shirt to me, topped with an emerald green vest, matching my emerald green pocket square and bow-tie. 

"Oh, look at you," I crouch down, the girls rushing over to me and Archer waddles over. "You two look stunning," I twirl them both around, their slightly curled hair waving in the air.

"And you are very handsome, sweet boy," I lightly tickle Archer's belly and he giggles, eyes bright like Hallie and Bridie's.

"You look so handsome, daddy!" Bridie compliments, hugging me again. 

I press a kiss to her forehead. "Thank you, sweetie. Are you excited?" I ask and they nod enthusiastically. 

As Mary takes Archer again and the girls stand to the side with Mary, I turn back around, my nerves spiking as I finally wait to see my girl. 

I hesitate for a second when Daphne softly taps my shoulder, but when I do, my heart stops. I hold a hand to my mouth as my throat tightens with emotion and an overwhelming love for this woman. 

White layers of chiffon fabric, decorated with small delicate leaves and intricate floral detailing that thins out the lower it pans across the dress. With thin spaghetti straps and a v-neck line, everything about her dress captures the simple elegance and wildness about her. 

Completely glowing with simple makeup, her hair is braided in a crown at the front, with tiny flowers embedded through out the braid. The rest of her blonde hair cascades down the back in loose flowy curls. 

"Are you going to come over and say something? Or stand their gawking?" she smiles, walking closer to me and holding my shoulders. 

I blow out a breath, completely in awe of her. "I don't know what to say, baby. You look..." I drift off, trying to find words that don't exist to describe how I'm feeling. 

I brush my hands up her warm arms, before cupping her face in my hands, taking her all in. "I- shit. I have no words," I say, and she laughs. 

"You look very handsome," she says, brushing her fingers over my face and pushing some strands of hair off my forehead. 

"Can we get some family photos?" one of the photographers - Michelle - asks kindly. 

"Yes, lets do that," Daph' smiles. "Come here," she waves to the kids, and they rush over, Archer waddling over as he follows his sisters fast pace. 

"Okie dokie, we'll take some in here and then we'll go around the grounds," Michelle tells us. Her photography automatically caught our eye since her candid shots are astonishing, with her talent at capturing the most wholesome moments that we don't even notice. 

As she directs us and the kids into certain things to do for her shots, the kids giggle as they run around in the vineyard. With the other photographer - Sophie - hovering around at different angles to Michelle. 

It's barely noon by the time we get to do our vows and then the ceremony. We sit on the wrap around porch of the mansion, only us and the vast plains join us as we sit on a nearby bench. 

Vines wrap around the oak wood beams and railings, as rich red rose bushes frame at the bottom. The girls and Archie did strawberry picking yesterday with our parents, and I could've sworn they brought back an entire bush of strawberries. 

"Can I go first?" Daphne asks, and I nod, to focused on her glowing like an angel in front of me. "Okay," she pulls out two small pages.

"Danny," she says, smiling as she meets my eyes. "To say you were a complete shock in my life is an understatement. In no way was I expecting a new job to lead me to you, and for you to teach me a love I wasn't aware existed," she begins and my heart goes haywire, as if it's trying to jump out of my chest to be closer to her. 

"Not only were you respectful and kind, and everything safe, you listened and loved my secrets as if they were your own. You helped me bury my demons and let go of their ghosts, and there aren't enough years for us to spend together where I'll never not be thankful for your helping hand," she continues, her eyes watery like mine. 

I rub a hand over her thigh. "I never pictured a man of my dreams, because I didn't really believe mine existed. But on the day we met, even if I wasn't aware, a part of my soul cheered because they'd found my missing piece," she sniffles. "I'd always felt empty and little lost in the world, but you held me down, reassuring me with a calmness I needed, and filled me with a love and light that'll only ever grow,"

"And not only have you given me growth, love and safety, things I cherish so deeply. But you gave me three beautiful children, two whom may not be mine, but i'll love them as if they are. Not only is this promise to you, but also to Hallie and Bridie. I promise to always guide them, to accept them as they grow and whoever they become, and I'll never let them forget the woman who so graciously brought them into this world," she smiles my way and if I couldn't love and respect her more, another olive branch flushes. 

"Finally, I promise to love you even if I'm mad, or we're in a disagreement. I promise to listen, to be patient and to always be there if you need me. There won't be a day I won't cherish these promises and live up to them, including passing them onto our children and teaching them what love truly is," 

"Danny, I love you isn't enough, but it's all I'm able to fathom in words. So, I love you and I always will," she finishes, a tear falling but she swipes it quickly. 

I blow out a breath, my throat tight as I look up and try to keep the tears in. I can at least wait to cry when she walks down the aisle, but her words make it so incredibly difficult to do so. 

"Shit, baby," I wipe my eyes, and she cups my face gently. "Okay, my turn," I compose myself and pull out my vows.

He takes a deep breath before reading from his pages. "Daphne," he says, meeting my watery eyes. "In a world of false promises and broken hearts, both of which I've done to you, it was a miracle you still stayed with me. Still chose to move on and give me a second chance, when I wouldn't of had your courage," 

My throat tightens and he's barely begun talking. "There are so many promises to make and I will make them all, whether they're to myself or I reassure you every single day. The second chance you bravely gifted me with is one I'll never let go, and never take for granted," he continues. 

"The love you not only showed me, but the girls at the very first time of meeting them told me all I needed to know about you. I knew from then on you were a rare sun ray, that you were sweet honey and I'd so selfishly want to keep you to myself,"

"Everyday I simply want to hold you in my arms and never let you go, keep safe in our morning bubble of calm love. But that would refrain from letting you inspire the world with your wild nature, with art that infiltrates peoples hearts and provides this sense of home," he wipes his eyes once again, shuffling the pages over. 

"The love you've shown Hallie and Bridie by guiding them through school, friends and simply teaching them how to love themselves and people around them, is all I'd ever wanted in life. With that you gifted me another child, our sweet boy who is like you in all your sunshine and me in his strong will with life," 

"All I can do to repay you with the love you've given me and our children, is the promises that I'll be your best friend throughout life. Stand by your side through thick and thin, listen and hold you when life gets a little to hard and be your number one fan in every path you choose to go down,"

"I will shower you with love, no matter if the days get heavy and dark, I promise to kiss you, hold you and tell you how much I love you every single night before bed," he finishes and I sniffle, trying to hold in my tears. 

"Geez, you're making it so hard not to cry," I tilt my head back and let out a soppy laugh. 

He pulls me closer to him, holding my face and his thumb caresses ever so gently over my cheek. "I can't wait to marry you in a few moments," he says. "I love you so fucking much," he whispers, before pecking my cheek ever so lightly and then the other one. 

"You can kiss me on the lips, you know?" I pester, wanting him to kiss me so badly. 

He smiles that smug smirk. "You'll have to wait baby. But I promise, I'll make it the best kiss ever," he kisses my neck and my skin prickles at the light touch. 

"Daddy! Mummy!" the kids come rushing to us, Danny picking up Archer and pressing a kiss to his chubby cheek, the girls standing around us. "Is it time yet?" they ask.

"Mhm, almost," I answer. "Do you two have your flower baskets?" I ask them, fixing a loose strand in Bridie's half up half down hair do. 

"Aunty Mary has them," Hallie answers. 

"Well, we better go," I say, standing up and turning towards Danny and Archer. "I'll take you sweet boy, and I'll see you in a few moments," my stomach flutters from the excited and loving look in his eyes. 

Ushering the kids back inside, I meet Mary my - obvious - maid of honour, plus Isabelle and Wendy. A small wedding party, but I don't mind, it's more intimate that way. 

"Ready?" Mary asks, fixing the strap of my dress. 

Isabelle passes me my simple bouquet of white lisianthus and a few other little leaves to fluff up the small bouquet. My bridesmaids are dressed in different styles of dresses, though in the cohesive dark emerald green colour. 

I wanted them to feel comfortable in what they wore, while also fitting the colour palette, and it turned out so unique with the different dresses. 

"Oh yeah," I smile, as we head to the doors that lead outside. Nicki waits for me next to the door, because he's the one who's walking me down the aisle. 

Originally I was going to have David do it, until he told me Nick really wanted to walk me down. He didn't have the guts to ask - weirdly enough since he never shuts up - but he egged me to give him the opportunity, which of course I happily did. 

He takes me in, eyes happy and full of pride. "You look pretty good," he smiles. "You know, for my sister and all," he jokes and I shove his shoulder lightly. 

"Idiot," I jibe, but can't help my beaming smile. 

Lining up in the correct order, the girls head outside first, along with Archie in both there hands who holds the rings. I link my arms with Nick, as nerves flutter in my stomach and excitement bubbles around my body. 

"I'll make sure you don't trip," he whispers. 

"Thank you, so reassuring," I playfully glare at him and he just smiles sheepishly. 

Once the bridesmaids head out, with the soft violin and piano music playing in the distance, my grip on Nick's arm tightens. "You'll be fine, but stop trying to rip my arm off," he says and I snicker. 

As the doors open, I take a deep breath before we walk out. The guests all stand up, smiling and excited as they take Nick and I in. 

I spot a few family members in the crowd, smiling softly at Daisy and her boyfriend Damien I chose to invite. We grew a little closer over the year and even if we're not super close friends, Daisy is someone I love to talk to. 

I take each step carefully down the aisle, ignoring everyone else when my eyes meet Danny's watery ones. Filled with an echo of love I can feel from here, my entire body pleads to just run over to him and pull him into a rough kiss. 

I refrain, obviously. 

Nearing the front, I smile at Danny's parents then at mine - my mum on the brink of fully sobbing. The girls stand with Mary and my bridesmaids, all of them smiling brightly as they watch the ceremony in front. 

Ben sends me a sly wink as he stands next to some of Danny's other groomsmen. Most are from his work, but one is a cousin he's fairly close with. 

"You sure you want her pal? You can back out now," Nick jokes to Danny as we meet the end. 

I send him a glare and he just shrugs. "I'm very sure," Danny smiles, before helping me up onto the small stage wood blocking. Nick joins the other groomsmen before the ceremony officially starts. 

As the officiant begins talking and taking us through the usual marriage stuff - great describing, I know. It finally becomes time for the vows, Archer passing us the rings with a huge happy smile. 

"Ladies first, repeat after me," the officiant tells me. "I, Daphne Hayley Collins, take you, Dan Henry Thompson to be my husband," he says first, and I repeat his words. 

I smile, looking at Danny as he holds my hands in his. "I, Daphne Hayley Collins, take you, Danny Henry Thompson to be my husband," my hand shakes just a little as I hold the gold band in my hand. 

"To have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until parted by death. This is my solemn vow," I smile as I repeat the words, slipping the band on his ring finger. 

"Now, Dan, repeat after me," the officiant says.

He smiles, holding my left hand gently as he holds my gold band. "I, Danny Henry Thompson, take you, Daphne Hayley Collins to be my wife," he begins, repeating after the officiant again. 

"To have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until parted by death. This is my solemn vow," he continues, before slipping the ring on my finger. 

"By the power vested in me, I pronounce you husband and wife," the officiant smiles. "You may kiss the bri-"

The officiant barely finishes his sentence before Danny pulls me in and kisses me with what feels like every ounce of love, passion and atom in his body. I pull back just a centimetre, taking in his joyful face before kissing him again, a laugh getting lost in-between. 

"I love you," he whispers. "My wife," his smile infiltrates the whisper. 

"You couldn't wait to say that, could you?" I whisper back and he shakes his head. "I love you, too, my husband," I reply back and he presses another firm kiss to my lips, before we head back down the aisle. 

Our families and friends smile brightly as they clap and cheer, and I love every piece of it, but what I love more is the quiet we feel when we disappear back inside the mansion. 

Finally married.

***

The reception blushes with warm chatter and light hearted love as everyone eats, talks and dances in the middle of the open banquet hall. The lighting is dim as the inside is darker, with the walls painted black and the architecture made of a rich oak wood. 

"There you are," Mary meets me in the bathroom as I fix up my lipstick. "It's almost time for speeches," she grabs my arm and rushes me out of the bathroom. 

"Okay, okay," I laugh as she drags me back to our main table. 

Danny smiles when he sees me, taking his hand in mine when I sit back down next to him. I sip another bit of my white wine, before the crowd settles back into their reserved seating. 

"Ben better not embarrass me," Danny grumbles. 

"Embarrass you? Nick has a speech," I comment, knowing for a fact he'll embarrass me. 

Mary is the first to stand up, the microphone in her hand as she holds a piece of paper. "I first met Daph' when we were quite young. I was an out-of-the-box child while she was terrified for her first day of school. I'd never really had any proper friends until she came along, and from that day onwards we were always together," she smiles my way, and I already feel the tears even though she's only begun. 

"The both of us were there for each other during breakups from trashy boyfriends who barely knew how to buy flowers and fathom the words 'I love you'," she earns a round of laughter. "To watching her meet the love of her life, and fall in love with someone who treasures her, cares for her and loves every piece of her," she continues. 

"There's something about watching your best friend fall in love with a man who you know is perfect for her. Seeing them glow with a happiness you've never seen them with, and have this blanket of happiness around them from the love they're consumed with,"

"From meeting up with her in a coffee shop and seeing how she blushed when she talked about her new boss, to hearing her talk about them slowly getting closer, and her continuing to say 'we're just friends, nothing else'," she jokes and I blush from embarrassment. 

Of course she had to mention that, she couldn't leave our secret conversations an actual secret. 

"You can certainly see how much they not only love each other, but the true friendship and spark that flames between them. You two are certainly deserving of all this celebration, congratulations," she smiles towards us, mainly me, and I wipe a lone tear. 

Once the applause for her settles, my brother is quick to stand up before Ben, shoving him down by the shoulder. "It's my turn," he says to Ben who flips him off. 

"Hi, I'm Nick, Daphne's amazing younger brother," he grins boyishly, earning a few laughs at his sheer stupidity. "Now, I know my sister expects me to embarrass her with stories from our childhood, and her terrible teenage years...which I will certainly tell you. But I can't talk about my sister without telling you about her courage," he turns a little serious. 

"In her high school years, I drove her up the wall, as a younger brother does. Though if I shoved her into a bush, she shoved me into a fountain, which did happen. Times where she'd lock me outside in the dead of winter, and in revenge I'd let the sink water run while she was in the shower," he smiles smugly towards me and I roll my eyes.

"But even in the pranks, and the deals we'd strike when either of us snuck out and caught the other, trading information for a favour so mum didn't ground us, she was the one I always looked up to. I still do and always will," he says and my throat tightens. 

"From a very young age she always protected me. Made sure the monsters stayed under the bed and inside the closet, held me when I had a bad nightmare, and always new how to make me laugh when their wasn't anything to be happy about," 

"She was my hero and my best friend, her courage to fight off the monsters under the bed whilst dealing with her own is something I can never repay her for. But, Dan, you came in and gave her a grand love she deserves and ensured she would never have to deal with her own monsters by herself," his voice shakes just a little and I wipe a few tears, my mother crying from the other side of the room. 

"But I'm not ending this on a sappy note, so I'll tell the story about Daph's first high school party," he grins joyously and I sink into Danny's shoulder. 

"Fuck me," I mutter, Danny's chest rumbling with silent laughter. 

"So, I'm relaxing in my room like the angel son I am," he glances at mum and David, the both of them rolling their eyes. "And I hear this tapping on the window, curious, I head over and come face to face with my sister. My very highly intoxicated sister. To this day, neither of us know how much she'd actually had to drink," a round of laughs echo, and I delve into my humiliation. 

At his wedding or 21st, I'm unleashing every single one of his embarrassing stories. 

"As the great brother I am, I open up my window and she instantly starts climbing through. Or trying to climb through, a terrible attempt, where I basically had to hoist her inside. She falls to the floor, sprawled out and completely out of it," he continues and I wish for a black hole to suck me away and into another universe. 

"At this point she's mumbling all sorts of incoherent gibberish, but I sit her up so she doesn't choke on her own vomit. Lucky I did that, because it was a matter of seconds before I was covered in vomit and she was smiling sheepishly up at me...disgusting," he pauses, a disgusted look on his face at the memory.

"Which, if you think that was the worst of it, you're wrong. She tries to stand up, wobbling about and I balance her out, receiving again, another pile of her vomit on me. In the end I had to shove her into the shower, make sure she didn't drown in the shower, and then clean all the vomit in the house and put her to bed. All while making sure our parents didn't hear a peep," he smiles, loud laughs echoing around the hall. 

I glare at him as he smiles smugly back at me, sitting back down and handing the microphone to Ben. "I'm sure you're all wanting to get back to your food, dancing or the bar, I know I do, so I'll keep this short and sweet," Ben says. 

"Geez, I may smack him," Danny grumbles against my hair. 

"Oh, poor you," I reply, patting his thigh. "Deal with your embarrassment," I joke and he nips at the skin on my neck. 

"Daphne Danny, you two were a messy whirlwind. I mean, a little scandalous with a nanny and their boss," he makes a whistle sound, and I feel Danny's eye roll. "But it couldn't of been a more perfect match, and I'm lucky my brother found you. Literally, since I fell in love with her best friend, so thanks for that," he says, Mary pinching his arm. 

"But I'll finish with a toast," he says, lifting his almost empty champagne glass, everyone else joining in - even Bridie and Hallie hold their cups of juice. "To Danny and Daphne, a match made out of perfect scandal," he laughs along with everyone else, besides Danny who mutters a low 'wow, fucking dumbass'. 

Once his speech ends, the chatter fills the room again, with people returning to the buffet for dinner seconds and grabbing more drinks from the bar. "That wasn't too bad," Danny says, his arm around my chair. 

"Besides my drunk story. God, I barely remember it and it was awful," I wince, taking a big gulp of my champagne. 

He chuckles. "Eh, I think everyone has a bad drunk story," he says. 

"Still, I'd rather it not blurted out to our entire wedding party," I lean my head on his shoulder, his fingers brushing over my hair. "Care to dance again?" I ask.

He nods. "Of course," he stands, offering his hand and I take it gratefully. He leads us to the busy dance floor, the girls dancing with Archie as they all giggle and laugh. 

Another slower song drifts on from the pop one, and I loop my arms around Danny's neck. "The kids seem to be having fun," I smile softly, as Bridie spins Archie around. 

"Their access to as much sugar as they want probably adds to that," Danny comments. "At least they'll fall asleep quickly," he adds. 

I hum. "Mhm, more time for us," I peck his jaw softly, tracing it down and along his neck. 

His grip tightens on my waist and I smile against his soft skin. "Not yet, you have to wait," I tease and he scoffs. 

"It's our wedding, i'm sure we're allowed to leave early," his voice is a little gruffer. 

I press a softer teasing kiss to his lips, my smile unable to be tamed. "Nope, you're gonna have to wait," I tell him. "Then you'll have free rein over me," I whisper. 

"Hope you weren't planning on sleeping," he says, his face nuzzled between my neck and shoulder. 

Once our song is over, I leave Danny with a kiss as he goes to talk with Ben, while I go over to the kids. They hover with some other kids outside, around a few outdoor games we had set up so the kids wouldn't get bored. 

I sneak up behind Hallie and tickle her, and she lets out a loud scream which turns into a fit giggles. I'm tackled by both Bridie and Archer as they save their sister, but keep my balance in my crouched position. 

"How you three? Having fun?" I ask them, swiping some hair out of Bridie's face - her hair, of course, is a frizz-ball. 

"Yes! We're playing bean bag toss," Bridie tells me enthusiastically.

"Ooh, who's winning?" I question, Archer making grabby hands for me to pick him up - which of course I do, because I'm terrible at saying no to those grabby hands. 

"Bridie is, but I'm close behind," Hallie tells me. "Are you and daddy having fun?" she asks, as Bridie takes her turn with the toss. 

I nod. "Very much, but it's even better since you three are here with us," I add, pressing a kiss to Hallie and Archie's head. 

Archer plays with the ends of my hair, and I wince a little when he pulls a bit to hard. "Gentle, sweet boy," I tell him.

"Sorry, mumma," he says in a small voice. 

"Oh, it's okay, baby," I press a bunch of kiss to his chubby cheeks and he giggles. "But I'll leave you three to it, hm? Have you had some dinner and dessert?" I ask and they nod.

"Archer did as well," Hallie reassures me. 

"Thank you, love," I hug her to me. "I'll keep coming to see you, alright?" I say and they nod, going back to their game, Archer tossing the bean bags in the air. 

Heading back inside, passing a few guests and saying a quick hi to them, I finally make it to my parents table. "Hey," I wrap my arms around my mums shoulders. 

She jumps a little in surprise, but turns around with a bright smile. "How are you?" I ask her, but really everyone at the table, which includes my parents and Mary's, plus her brother - though he's elsewhere. 

"Oh, we're great!" my mum beams. 

"Taking massive advantage on all the free drinks and food," Dylan's mum laughs from next to me. 

I smile. "Good, as you should be," I say. 

"How are my grand-babys?" my mum asks. 

"Having a blast with the bean bag toss, and taking advantage of all the sugar," I laugh lightly, taking the free seat beside her. "Where's dad?" I question, realising he's not here. 

My mum rolls her eyes. "Chatting with one of Dan's uncles about cars or whatever, something with an engine," she waves her hand. 

"Not surprising," I comment. "But, I should get back to Danny, are you good here?" I question and they both give me a 'are you silly?' look. "Got it," I laugh, before wandering back over to my table. 

Danny and Ben are the only ones seated, the both in a deep conversation. I go to take my seat, but Danny pulls me onto his lap, whilst Ben and him chat about work. 

"My job was decent when I started, the pay was better than my other one down in Boston. But shit, the hours suck," Ben groans, running a hand over his face. 

"Have you talked to your boss about this?" Danny asks, his thumb caressing the side of my torso. 

Ben shrugs. "He's an old toad, and can barely hear the choppy fire alarm when it goes off," he says. "I don't hate it, but the hours are way to long for my liking and this job isn't super flexible," he continues. 

"Have you searched around? Emailed for other offers at other companies?" Danny continues with the questions, taking a sip of his whiskey - a drink way to smokey for me. 

"A little, but there isn't much, especially with the pay and time flexibility i'm looking for," he answers. "I'll just keep looking, but you'd think in a city this big i'd be able to find something pretty easily," he comments dryly, taking a sip of his own whiskey. 

Danny shrugs a shoulder. "You should do," he says. "How are the kids?" he asks me. 

"Good. Playing the bean bag toss and I think they're trying to teach Archie, but he seemed only interested in the bean bags," I smile, leaning back into his chest. 

As Ben leaves to find Mary, I turn on his lap so I face him better, a lazy smile plastered on my face - the result of a few drinks and a bucket load of happiness. 

"I love this dress, but I can't wait to take it off of you," Danny whispers.

I brush a finger over his cheek. "You'll love what you'll find underneath then," I tease, his jaw clenching as he takes a deep sharp breath. 

His grip on my torso tightens, and I fight a smirk at the taunting that has him in a pretzel. I'll definitely pay for it later, not that his revenge is anything I won't be looking forward to. 

There's something so delicious about being under his mercy. 

Letting the people on the dance floor entertain me, with Danny's calm heartbeats thump under my ear, I let the rest of the night drift past my eyes. 

Letting our two promises become one soul, even if it was originally Against Reason. 

***

Authors Note:

I can't😭, this book quite literally flew by for me and it's such a bittersweet feeling finishing it. I have planned for two bonus chapters 😼 - so it's not a total good bye just yet, but this is the end for now...👀

A big big BIG thank you to everyone who followed along as it was ongoing, and to who voted, commented and tuned into every chapter I published 💋💋. I hope you loved the story, the plot and the characters, this book has been so fun to write and I will miss it dearly - plus all you amazing fabulous readers (but stay tuned).

I'll keep this short and sweet, until I get emotional during the last bonus chapter, which will make this all feel very real, since it'll be the true end of Against Reason. 

But if you haven't read my other book The Devil and The Angel: Volume One, go give it little peak if you want to (I will not be hurt if you don't 🌚🧍‍♀️). Though their are some familiar characters you've already met during a few chapters...so, yuh

Anyways, lots of love cuties,

AshtrayKale :) xxx 

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

1.8M 40.5K 35
-𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐀𝐅𝐈𝐀 𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐑 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐍𝐀𝐍𝐍𝐘- "𝐏𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐛𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐈 𝐬𝐞𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮" "𝐈...
1.3M 41.6K 39
18+ "BABY GIRL I'M NOT SURE I CAN GO ANY FURTHER WITHOUT FUCKING YOU SO HARD THAT YOU'LL SCREAM MY NAME" I feel heat run down to my core. Fuck i want...
7.2K 198 34
Alex Osborne is a billionaire single dad, and I've just become his naughty nanny. Alex is the opportunity of a lifetime. Being a nanny for his three...
317K 10K 44
After a life-changing event, Grace found herself at the most luxurious hotel in Manhattan with the hope of getting a babysitting job. But the moment...