Against Reason

By ashtraykale

Daphne Collins, a 21-year-old aspiring artist who is attempting to make her way in the world of the bustling... More

Playlist & Aesthetics
Chapter One - A Window of Possibility
Chapter Two - Pasta Nights
Chapter Three - Parks & Pangs
Chapter Four - Bad Dreams
Chapter Five - Under the Weather
Chapter Six - Puppy Love
Chapter Seven - Birthday Chaos
Chapter Eight - Family Film Nights
Chapter Nine - Reminiscence
Chapter Ten - Opportunities
Chapter Eleven - Out of Comfort
Chapter Twelve - First Days Suck
Chapter Thirteen - High Impacts
Chapter Fourteen - Past Pains
Chapter Fifteen - Afterlife
Chapter Sixteen - Little Ballerina
Chapter Seventeen - Late Night Talking
Chapter Eighteen - Ground Coffee Beans
Chapter Nineteen - Glitch in the Plumbing
Chapter Twenty - Arts 'n' Crafts
Chapter Twenty One - Heartache Calls
Chapter Twenty Two - Night Walks in New York
Chapter Twenty Four - Torment
Chapter Twenty Five - I Can't See You, So You Can't See Me
Chapter Twenty Six - Intercourse
Chapter Twenty Seven - Discourteous
Chapter Twenty Eight - Do We Still Have Apples?
Chapter Twenty Nine - My Tears Ricochet
Chapter Thirty - Oh, How You Love Me So
Chapter Thirty One - Hospital Scares
Chapter Thirty Two - Knight in Shining Armour
Chapter Thirty Three - Nervous Salads
Chapter Thirty Four - Soul Sisters
Chapter Thirty Five - War of Words
Chapter Thirty Six - Dire Straits
Chapter Thirty Seven - Regret
Chapter Thirty Eight - Bun In The Oven
Chapter Thirty Nine - Endeavour for Forgiveness
Chapter Forty - Tis' the Damn Season
Chapter Forty One - What's a Capricorn?
Chapter Forty Two - A Little Snippet of Love
Chapter Forty Three - Shopping for Two
Chapter Forty Four - When Two Became Three
Chapter Forty Five - In a Decade or So...
Epilogue - Two Promises, One Soul
Bonus Chapter - With All My Heart
Bonus Chapter - Home Run
Bonus Chapter - Our Last Slice of Pie

Chapter Twenty Three - Fervent Touches

2.4K 69 5
By ashtraykale

Chapter Song - Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand

Quiet. A sound that rarely occurs in this household, mainly due to Bridie's incredibly loud and confident nature - something I wouldn't trade for the world. 

But I can't lie, it is nice to have some peace and quiet to myself. When nannying or taking care of children, personal time to yourself is quite a rare occurrence, and a time you have to take and use wisely because of it's rarity. 

I only get a handful of quiet moments to myself per week, but I don't mind, the girls are amazing. 

The house is still as I sit and read today's newspaper in the kitchen, my feet swaying back and forth under the island stool i'm seated on. 

I pick a handful of almonds from my small bowl of trail mix - minus the peanuts since those are the only nuts Hallie's allergic to - as I nibble on them. It feels weird taking time to sit and read the newspaper, I almost feel old doing this, but I've always read the newspaper ever since I was really little. 

I've always found it comforting, and reassuring to know everything thats going on in the world. 

Heavy footsteps echo behind me and Danny pops up out the corner of my eye, I focus - try to focus - on the newspaper in front of me, but my eyes betray me and drift over to Danny. He walks around the counter and grabs a mug from the overhead cabinet before pouring himself a cup of already made black coffee. 

"I have to go into work this morning," he says and I frown. Well obviously, it's Monday so a work day and you work like everyday so obviously he has to go into work. I already know this, why is he telling me?

"Okay?" I question, placing my newspaper on the counter, and giving him my full attention. 

He meets my eye. "It's only a short time I need to be there, and I need to make the drive to pick up the girls from my parents house afterwards, would you like to come along?" he asks, taking a sip of his coffee.

"Oh," I'm surprised by his question. He wants me to come to his work? "Sure, why not," I say casually, even though a pit of new found nerves is building in my stomach. 

"I'll just finish my coffee and grab my stuff, meet you at the front," he tells me, and I nod. 

He walks out with his coffee in hand and I may or may not look at his ass as he walks out of the kitchen. What? I can't help it, his jeans always ride low, but not low enough that they still hug his ass so well

I fold up the newspaper and place it in the middle of the island, before placing my empty trail mix bowl in the sink. 

I quickly head upstairs to slip a pair of black boots on and grab my coat, before I head to the front entry where I find Danny waiting. A few documents sit in his hand, along with his work duffle bag slung over his shoulder. 

"Ready?" He questions, his eyes giving me an obvious once over. 

I nod. "Yep," 

We fall into a similar step as we head down the front steps and onto the damp curb. The clouds are set in a grey overcast and the tree's drip with water from last nights heavy rain. It practically lulled me to sleep last night. 

"You look good," Danny compliments me, and my cheeks instantly redden. 

I swallow harshly. "Thanks," I smile shyly at him, then open the door to the passenger side of his black Ford Ranger. I forgot he had a truck, I mean obviously he's a contractor he would need a truck for his work. 

The car hums to life and he heads onto the road. The radio plays faintly and a nice calm sets over the two of us. Even though he uses his car for work, it still feels incredibly new. The seats are perfectly clean and plush, along with the car still having that 'new car' smell. 

Danny's hand moves, resting on the hand stick of the car and I can't help but stare creepily at his hands; thick, strong and veiny. His fingers and palms are calloused from the known of past touch, and my mind delves into the thought of what his calloused rough hands would feel like running all over my body. 

Stop, Daphne.

"Daphne?" A deep voice calls my name. "Daphne?" The voice is clearer and I'm shook out of my thoughts when Danny's hand lands on top of my hand. 

"Oh, yes?" I ask. "Sorry, I zoned out," I smile sheepishly.

He chuckles lightly. "All good, we're here though," he says, and I see we're now in an underground parking lot. 

I grab my purse from between my feet and hop out of his truck, meeting his side as he leads me through the grey cement parking lot and to the elevator. 

He clicks on the button, illuminating the number four and we take the ride up to the level, which is the top for this building. 

Loud chatter and background noise fills my ears when the stainless steel elevator doors open, and I come face to face with people walking back and forth, glass meeting rooms and a large open floor plan. 

"Follow me," I do as Danny says and follow him through the busy floor, he gets greeted by different people and I gain looks of confusion and interest, yet they all smile my way anyways. 

"Ay Danny! Finally you're here, old man," A guy I'd say in his late thirties greets Danny and it's obvious this guy is the class clown of the bunch. 

A few other guys stand around a table filled with sketches, floor plans and other material books that splay out covering the wooden table top. "Morning everyone," Danny greets in a plain tone. "This is-"

"Who's the girl," One guy cuts Danny off, and the rest chuckle. 

Danny sighs harshly. "This is Daphne, Daphne this is Mike, Hollis, Cole, Melinda and Dylan," He points to the people around the table, and they either nod their head in greeting or send me a kind smile. Although Mike gives me a nod then a sly wink - definitely a funny guy, but he seems nice. 

"Now, how did the plans go with Northern Builds?" Danny asks the group, referring to a building company that I think specialises in skyscrapers, apartment buildings and work companies. I only know this because Danny talked about the different building companies he co-works with. 

"Andy agreed on it, signed it off this morning. But they want to meet at the sight in a few days to section off the ground floor plans," The only woman in this group, Melinda explains. Although there are many other women around the building, which is nice to see since trade and work jobs like this tend to be heavily male dominated. 

Danny nods, then grabbing the folder pulls out a few plans and lays them out on the table. The others crowd around and stare at the plans, while I just stand by Danny having no idea what to do. 

"I updated the ground floor on the sectional builds to a more open floor plan, which will solve the problem that Cole pointed out about not having enough room between the kitchen and living room for a breakfast nook," Danny begins explaining and I zone out a little, just staring at the way he holds everyones attention and the way his sharp jaw moves as he talks. 

It's actually painful how attracted I am to this man, and I can't do anything about it. 

"Melinda and Hollis, can I grab you two for a sec? I want to chat a little about the Mayfair house," Danny waves his fingers in the air, then walks past me his hands drifting over the small of my back as he brushes past me.

"Stay here, I'll be back in a sec," he whispers in my ear, and goosebumps erupt all over my neck and down my spine from his warm breath.

"So you're the nanny Danny always chats about?" Hollis says and I'm snapped out of my haze. I look up to meet Hollis's blue eyes. His hair is slightly long and quite messy like a classic surfer dude. 

"Thats me," I smile, even though I'm really nervous, which is strange because I'm fine when meeting new people. 

Maybe because these people work with Danny and are his work friends. Well, I wouldn't say friends, more just people he talks to out of work, but I'm sure he enjoys there company and just doesn't show it. 

"I've never seen him show so much human emotion besides grumpiness towards somebody before," Mike jokes, Dylan and Hollis agreeing. 

I smile softly, not knowing what to say. "I know Danny introduced us before, but I'm Mike, but most just call me Mickey," Mike smiles slyly as he sticks his hand out for a hand shake. 

I take it, and he gives my hand a firm shake. "Nice to meet you," I say, and he smiles. 

"So, you're the nanny I take it?" he asks and I nod. "Danny's only brought his daughters a handful of times, but they're definitely energetic," he chuckles. 

"Very, but they're great to take care of," I say and I realise our hands are still connected. 

"Ay Danny-" Mike pops up and I feel a warm presence push up against my back. 

"Let go of her hand, Mike," Danny says gruffly. 

Mike lets go of my hand and puts his hands up in mock defence. "Protective we are," Mike jokes, and I hear Hollis and Dylan snicker from the other end of the table. 

"Yes, now get back to work. All of you," Danny says firmly and they all nod, then head to wherever. 

Before I can turn around, a strong arm is wrapped around my waist and i'm turned around to come face to chest with Danny. I look up and see his eyes are softer now, but still have a hint of anger? Possessiveness? 

"Sorry about him, he thinks he's funny," Danny says. 

I smile softly. "Don't be, he's nice. I didn't mind," I say. 

"Really?" he narrows his eyes slightly. "Hm," he hums, but doesn't say anything else. 

"Jealous?" I tease, but he just smirks lightly in response. 

He turns around and leads me through the hallway and down to a secluded part which I'm assuming is his office. The office is fairly big - bigger than the one he has at home - but it feels small due to the large pin boards held by easels that are covered in materials, plans, and sketches. 

As Danny takes a seat at his desk and does whatever. I look around the office, it's quite plain and mostly the walls hold paintings and sketches of past builds or floor plans. But one painting sticks out and it hangs right on the wall behind his desk. 

It sticks out to me because it's mine. It's my painting. Not only is it one of my paintings, but it's one from home, one from the pile of paintings I've set aside, and are in waiting for art galleries to potentially take in or for people to buy. 

Since a few weeks ago Danny helped and came up with the idea to set up a website, where people can see and buy my paintings online. So whenever I have a painting or drawing I want to sell, I take a picture and upload it to the website. 

To my fortune it's gained some attention and I've already had a few sells, shockingly because Danny made me price them on a pricier scale than I would've done myself. But he knows about starting a business, so I listened to him. 

"Thats mine," I say out-loud. 

Danny looks up from the paperwork, then looks behind him. "Mhm, thats right," He says casually. 

"I didn't know you took one of my paintings, how come you didn't tell me or ask?" I question, but I'm not at all angry. I'm flattered, and I can feel the light blush on my cheeks and the back of my neck. 

He shrugs. "I saw you painting it and took a certain liking to it, so I wanted to have it in my office. A way to have you closer," He mutters, and my breath gets taken from my lungs. 

A way to have you closer. 

"Uh, I- um," I stumble. Fucking christ, get it together. Great, now he's looking at me and has that really sexy knowing smile on his face. "Thank you," I say firmly, avoiding his smug eye contact. 

Danny chuckles, then checks his watch. "It's almost 11, so we should get going because my mother we'll talk my ear off and I don't want to be at theirs for to long," he says and I nod, Marianne does love to chit chat, but I personally love that. 

Danny packs up his stuff, then grabs his phone from his desk before heading out. "You don't need your duffle bag?" I question, when I notice he leaves the duffle bag on the couch in the corner. 

Realisation dawns on his face. "Right, almost forgot," He turns and grabs the duffle bag, slinging it over his shoulder. "Thanks, Daph'," He smiles, and my heart does a fluttery thing. 

We reach the car and we're out on the busy New York roads, heading to pick up Hallie and Bridie. The busy New York streets turn into a more slow and peaceful road when we start to reach the Upper East Side of New York, where Danny's parents reside. 

Danny parks across from their house and we hop out of the door. Their house is a light beige concrete colour and the front doors are french dark metal style, that flows in almost a vine shape. Gosh, and I thought Danny's house was posh, this is a whole other level and we haven't even been inside yet. 

The door opens and a middle age man greets us, dressed in what looks like a Butlers uniform - I'm not even surprised they have a butler, I think i'd be more surprised if they didn't have one. 

"Daddy! Lolli!" Bridie yells once we walk into the first living area. Yes, the first - crazy. 

"Hey, sweetie," Danny greets, picking up Bridie. She hugs him before she reaches over to me and tries to release herself from her dad. I feel flattered she wants me more than her dad. 

"Wow Bridie, what about me?" Danny teases. 

"I want Lolli," she growls when he tightens his grip. 

I laugh, then take her from Danny where she instantly cuddles into me tightly. "Did you have a good time, lovely?" I ask her and she nods against my chest. Weird, normally she'd be quite chatty.

"Wheres Hal'?" Danny asks Bridie.

"Bathroom," She answers, than cuddles up to me. 

She's very cuddly, extra cuddly. "Is something wrong, Bridie?" I ask her, a feeling that somethings wrong and I can tell Danny senses it to. 

"Granny and Grandpa ignored me and didn't play with me, only Hallie cause she's sick," she answers and I tighten my grip on her, pecking her forehead. 

I whisper sweet nothings in her ear as she cuddles into me, though Danny looks upset and I can tell he's angry. After Bridie told me how she felt the other day about us not playing with her we apologised, and played a heap of games and dolls with her for the rest of the night, which made her happy. 

But even then we were still giving her proper attention, just not playing with her as much. They didn't give her either. In her words they ignored her. 

Though parents make those mistakes, we never ignore a child. They just forgot about her and I know it's not as much an accident. 

"Where the hell are they?" Danny grits and I follow him down the hallway, Bridie still in my arms. 

I follow him down the extensive hallway, doors pampered on either side leading to other rooms I'm assuming. We reach an open space which spans across the main living room, dining area and kitchen.

Danny's parents stand in the kitchen, Marianne stands as she chops up some vegetables and Phil sits on a stool talking to her across the white marble island, matching the all white marble kitchen. 

Their heads both perk up once they see Danny, and their faces light up. "Danny, Daphne, I didn't realise you were here," His mother greets happily, placing the knife down and walking around to greet Danny. 

She goes in for a hug, but Danny pushes her arms away. "Excuse me?" she mutters, and I just stand at the end of the island holding Bridie to me. 

"Don't act all offended mother," Danny says, and she's obviously taken back by the use of 'mother' since they aren't very formal. 

"Don't speak to your mother that way," Danny's father stands up, tucking his stool under the island. 

Danny shakes his head, ignoring his fathers words. "How did taking care of the girls go? Fun?" he asks tauntingly. 

"It was great as always," His mother answers, confusion written on her face. 

"Right, then how come when we see Bridie, she says you ignored her the entire time while she was here, and only gave attention to Hallie?" he questions, his voice gruff but calm as he tries to dim the obvious anger brewing inside him. 

His father scoffs, and his mother still seems confused. "Hallie's sick and Bridie is old enough to play by herself, we simply wanted to take care of our sick granddaughter," she says. and now I'm getting angry, but I just breathe out a harsh breath. 

Yes she's sick, but she's not that bad anymore. She doesn't need immediate care anymore, and can perfectly handle herself now like usual.

Danny runs a hand through his hair. "Are you fucking serious right now? She's three and needs as much attention as Hallie," he says. 

"Daddy said a bad word," Bridie mumbles. 

I peck her forehead. "He did, we'll have to ask him for a dollar after," I whisper and she nods. I hate seeing her so down and un-energetic, it breaks my heart. 

How can they not give one child attention and then give the other everything? You never do that with children, especially young ones. 

Bridie's three and even though she does play by herself at times, I spend majority of my day with her whether we're playing, watching T.V or she's just with me while I do daily tasks. It's how she learns and develops, by learning from adults and spending time with them. 

"Danny calm down, you're being over-dramatic. Bridie is fine and she had a great time," Phil speaks up. 

"Yeah, did she tell you that? Or are you just assuming?" Danny smiles sarcastically. "Because thats not what I heard when we saw her just before,".

Danny's mother rolls her eyes. "Hallie had a scary time and is still recovering, we just wanted to make sure she had what she needed," Marianne says. 

"And Bridie didn't? The fact you can't see what you did wrong disgusts me, she's three years old and needs attention and people to see to her. You can't simply expect her to play by herself, feed her and let her watch T.V and expect her to enjoy herself. Thats not how children work, mother," Danny grits out. 

"Why is daddy mad?" Hallie's small voice asks as she tugs on my coat. 

I look down at her and see her confused and worried face. I bob down to her, Bridie still cuddled into me. "It's because Granny and Grandpa didn't give as much of their time to Bridie," I tell her and she nods. 

"Is it my fault?" she asks, eyes wide and worried. 

"No, no, not at all. This isn't your fault, its your grandparents. They need to give you girls equal attention and they didn't do that, thats why daddy's mad," I tell her, and she mutters a simple okay. 

"I'm sorry Bridie," Hallie says and gives Bridie a kiss on the cheek and a hug. 

Bridie doesn't say anything, but I can tell Hallie's apology cheers her up in the slightest. She probably thought no one wanted to play with her or anything, even Hallie because she was so wound up with her grandparents attention. 

Marianne sighs. "Look, I think you're getting to angry over a simple mistake-" she tries to calm the situation, but Danny just scoffs. 

"I've had enough of this shit, we're going. Call me when you two get your heads together," he says then nods for us to follow him. 

Marianne and Phil follow us hastily down the hallway. "Daphne you agree, right? I mean this is simply-" she tries to talk to me and Bridie hides in my shoulder from her Grandma. Jesus, she can't even look at her. 

"Don't talk to her, if you want to place your dumb fucking reasoning somewhere you put it on me. Don't talk to her or my daughters," Danny stops in the middle of the hallway and I pull Hallie behind my legs. 

"Dan!" Phil yells as we continue to walk. 

Thankfully the girls overnight bags and back packs are already set in the front room, so Danny grabs them and Hallie grabs her back pack, along with Bridie's. They follow us as we walk into the front foyer area, out the door and down the steps to the sidewalk. 

"Stop! Next time I hear from you it'll be because you're apologising to Bridie for your stupid behaviour," Danny states, and Phil and Marianne stop on the last few steps. 

We buckle the girls into their carseats, and I hop into the passenger side. Danny is soon in the drivers side and on the road faster than light. His hands are tight around the steering wheel and his knuckles are paper white. 

I reach over and run my hand over his. "Breathe Danny," I tell him and he does, his grip relaxing and he eases into his seat. 

He sighs roughly. "How are you girls? Bridie?" Danny asks, peaking into the rearview mirror to look at the girls who sit quietly in the back seat. 

"I feel much better," Hallie says, a smile on her face. Well thats good, at least she's better and she definitely seems to have her normal energy back.

"Good sweetie," Danny smiles. "Bridie, baby, talk to me," he asks, and a small sniffle echos from the backseat. The anger returns as Danny clenches his jaw, so he pulls over to the side and turns off the engine. 

Once he's parked, he leans over the middle console and unbuckles Bridie pulling her over the console and sitting her in his lap. Hallie wriggles in her seat, so I do the same with her and sit her in my lap, where she leans into me. 

"I'm sorry Bridie, you shouldn't of been ignored, and it's not right what granny and grandpa did, and they are in the wrong," he tells her, wiping some stray tears off her pouty face and she nods, leaning into him. "And Hal', this isn't your fault either, okay? You couldn't of changed their behaviour," he tells her firmly, and she mutters a small 'okay'.

Danny sighs. "How about we go somewhere for dinner? Your choice Bridie," he tells her and she perks up a little. 

"Maccies!" she yells and I instantly laugh. I'm not surprised and nor am I complaining, I'm hungry and a Big Mac sounds great right about now. 

"Okay, then thats where we're going," Danny nods. 

We place the girls back in their carseats, which is harder to do compared to taking them out. I lean awkwardly over the centre console, trying to click in Hallie's seat, when rough fingers trace over my exposed skin. 

I gasp lightly and hear Danny's laugh. "Whats wrong, Lolli?" Hallie questions my gasp. 

"Nothing, it's okay," I hide a smile. 

Once I finally click Hallie's seat in, I sit back in my seat and throw a glare Danny's way. But he just shrugs his shoulders, a smug smirk on his face. Asshole. 

Dammit, now I can't stop thinking about his fingers on my skin. Gentle, but rough and lighter than I would've liked, but enough to make my lower body pulse.

This is so difficult...

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

317K 10K 44
After a life-changing event, Grace found herself at the most luxurious hotel in Manhattan with the hope of getting a babysitting job. But the moment...
1M 14.5K 89
'What am I to you? I want to hear you say it?' 'You are my Daddy?' I replied hoarsely, my whole body trembling slightly. 'And what are you to me?'...
1.1M 31.3K 49
Book #1 of "His & Hers" book trilogy Warning: Mature (18+) Content! #6 in Mafia 2022 #1 in Italianamerican 2022 #4 in Slowburn 2022 #1 in Hook-ups 20...
820K 22.1K 46
"With the hand that was around her waist, I pulled her towards me and put the other hand around her neck. I kissed her passionately, as if my life de...