Getting back to "Normal" | Rh...

By bookbags124

Aftermath of 05x01 Mature themes I don't own either of these characters, they belong to the One Chicago serie... More

Chapter 1- Just a scapel
Chapter 2- Ava Bekker
Chapter 3- This is just see you later
Chapter 4- Waiting
Chapter 5- Waking up
Chapter 6- Chrysanthemums
Chapter 7- Small steps
Chapter 8- Communication
Chatpter 9- Ava's apartment
Chapter 10- Deal
Chapter 11- Break Through
Chapter 12- Operation
Chapted 13- Piano
Chapter 14- Drugs
Chapter 15- Tart
Chpater 16-Swimming
Chapter 17- Robyn
Chapter 18- Shaken
Chapter 19- Patience
Chapter 20- 3am
Chapter 21- Walk
Chapter 22- Casual
Chapter 23- Voicemail
Chapter 24- Roomates
Chapter 25- Cleared
Chapter 26- Returns
Chapter 27- Gala
Chapter 28- Sick
Chapter 29- Night in
Chapter 30- Dream
Chapter 31- Spider
Chapter 32- Space
Chapter 33- Date
Chapter 35- Ice Skating
Chapter 36- Bar
Chapter 37- Hero
Chapter 38- Going out
Chapter 39- Storm
Chapter 40- Eve
Chapter 41- Christmas
Chapter 42- Day off? maybe not
Chapter 43- Call me?
Chapter 44- Getting back to Normal
Chapter 45- Phone
Chapter 46- Trust
Chapter 47- Dear Ava,
Chapter 48- Patient
Chapter 49- Matilda
Chapter 50- Dinner
Chapter 51- Club
Chapter 52- Broken
Chapter 53- One last job
Chapter 54- Tears are gonna fall
Chapter 55- Looking Glass
Chapter 56- Game Time
Chapter 57- Money, Money, Money
Chapter 58- Losing hope
Chapter 59- The trunk
Chapter 60- May
Chapter 61- Food
Chapter 62- Message
Chapter 63- Find Me
Chapter 64- Found out
Chaptee 65- Torment
Chapter 66- Vigilante Shit 
Chapter 67- Escape
Chapter 68- Mass Casualty
Chapter 69- My hand was the one you reached for
Chapter 70- Home
Chapter 71- The art of sleep
Chapter 72- Late nights
Chapter 73- Hair
Chapter 74- Game Time
Chapter 75- Daniel and Drinks
Chapter 76- Bagels and Breakthroughs
Chapter 77- Chill
Chapter 78- Bunny
Chapter 79- Stress
Chapter 80- Canada🇨🇦
Chapter 81- Trial
Chapter 82- Support
Chapter 83- Memories
Chapter 84- Violet
Chapter 85- A day at the Zoo
Chapter 86- Back at it
Chapter 87- double date?
Chapter 88- Confession
Chapter 89- Spill
Chapter 90- Choices
Chapter 91- Ava's Farewell
Chapter 92- Goodbye, Goodbye, Goodbye

Chapter 34-Getting better

347 9 7
By bookbags124

Ava opened her eyes slowly, shutting them again where she was hit with a stream of light. She could feel warmth next to her and thought about what it could be.

Oh the guy from the date, right, right, right. Turtle man 🐢

Ava rolled over slightly, wanting to stay close to the only source of heat. As she rolled over she was hit with all too familiar cologne.
"Connor?" She inhaled, opening her eyes sleepily.
"Expecting a different man?" Connor asked, brushing some hair out of her face.
Ava shook her head timidly, suddenly shy as the memories of last night came back to her.

"You're thinking too much Bekker" he told her stroking her cheek.
Connor tilting his head down closer to hers, Ava looked up to him and nodded. Connor pressed his lips to hers again. Ava smiled, breaking the kiss. Connor put his hand on her hip, pulling her onto his lap. Ava kissed him again and again, waking up more and more each time.
"I take it I'm not going back to my room then?" Ava pulled back, smiling coyly.
"No, no you are not" he kissed her neck after every word.

Ava kissed his lips one last time before moving to shift off his lap.
"Where are you going?" He asked, catching her wrist.
"To get ready for work, that place we go?" She reminded him.
"We have time" he rubbed his hands up and down her arms.
Ava glanced at the clock and realised they did have plenty of time before work started.
"I just want to keep you close" he admitted, causing Ava to smile.
She slipped off his lap and lay next to him, cuddling into his chest.
Connor ran a hand through her hair, kissing her temple as he wished he had done the first night they'd slept together.

They lay in silence, with Ava listing to his heartbeat until he spoke.
"Are you okey after last night?" He asked, still stroking her skin.
Ava tilted her head up so she could look up at him.
"You know, don't you" she said. "About your father" It wasn't a question, she already knew the answer.
"Daniel didn't tell me, I asked if he hand done something like that to you. I could see it on Daniels face that you had told him something" Ava listened silently to his explanation.
"Don't loses trust in him, please keep going to him"
"I will" Ava said quietly looking down at his chest, afraid to meet his eyes.
Ava fiddled with the hem of Connors shirt that she had found herself in during the night. Connor stroked her hair and cheeks, sensing their was something she wanted to say.
"I had an abortion" she said in a voice just loud enough for Connor to hear.

Everything seemed to stop as she said that, "Oh, Avey" Connor pulled Ava closer to him, closing the already small distance between them. Connor closed his eyes, tears burning in them as he realised the severity of the event. Ava clung to him, shivering slightly. She felt safe here, in the quite of his room, under their duvet.
"Avery" he fought to keep his voice steady, stroking her hair. "When was this?"
"A bit before we got together. I wanted it to be yours, so badly. But there, there was no way" she shook her head.
"You should have told me" he rested his chin on top of her head.
Ava only shook her head under him.
"Who brought you home?" Connor rubbed her back.
"The only person I knew wouldn't tell anyone" she wiped her eye.

///
"Ah, Dr. Bekker, I see you've scheduled yourself in for a day off tomorrow" Dr. Lathem told her, approaching her at her computer.
"Yes, I'm afraid I would be reachable for the day" she shut off her computer.
"Yes, I couldn't help but recognise the address, it's a clinic" he nodded.
Ava sighed and looked around, only to find them alone.
"Look, Dr. Lathem with all due respect if you're here to talk me out of it I don't want to hear it" she snapped.
"On no, quite the contrary. I've volunteered at that clinic as a chaperone before. It's Jewish owned. I was wondering if you needed someone to drive you home, or would the father be available?"
"Uh, no. I mean yes, I need someone to drive me home. No, no the father will not be there" Ava stumbled over her words, surprised by this encounter. Kicking herself for not realising that she wouldn't be able to drive home.
"Okey, when is your appointment?"
"9.15"
"I can drop you off and collect you if you would like?"
"No, no thank you. If you could just pick me up that would be fine"
"Thank you, Dr. Lathem"

///

Connor repeatedly kissed her forehead, reassuring her that he was here for her.
"You don't have to keep going if you don't want to" he whispered to her, noticing her period of silence.
"No, it's fine" she hastily wiped her cheek.

///

"Ava Bekker?" The women called from the desk. Ava bounced her leg anxiously, gripping her jacket.
Ava followed the women who gave her a medical gown. Ava got changed and followed the women into a second room. The rooms and halls were bleak with the odd pink accent and the lights were too bright.

"Hi Ava, I'm Dr. Leon. Can you pop up on the chair for me?" She could see his friendly smile under his mask.
Ava got up on the chair and her legs were covered by a blanket.
"Sharp scratch" a nurse said, fitting in her IV.
"I believe your also a Doctor, Ava? I saw it on your paper work"
"Surgeon" Ava muttered, staring at the pale ceiling.
"You might feel a bit sleepy" the nurse injected the medicine into her. Ava's eyes closed slowly as the ceiling disappeared and a mask went over her face.

When Ava woke up she was stiff and laying in a hospital bed. The curtain in front of her flew back suddenly and a nurse came in.
"Hi love, try drink something" she left her a glass of water and a moose.
"Thanks" Ava winced, giving her a half smile.
Ava slipped her water and pulled back on her clothes.

Ava took her moose and left her room.
"Ava Bekker" she told the desk.
"Is someone here to collect you?"
Ava looked around the waiting room and spotted Dr. Lathem.
"Yeah" she nodded to him.
"You can expect some nausea and or vomiting. It it last more then 24 hours contact us immediately and you can expect some light bleeding, if it gets heavy contact us immediately" the women handed her four large pads.
"Thanks" Ava breathed, walking over to Dr. Lathem.
They walked out of the clinic together in the rain, Latham, to no surprise had an umbrella to shelter them from the rain.

Ava shut the door behind her as she climbed into the pass her seat. She gave isadore the keys and followed her arms around her. Ava closed her eyes but noticed the car didn't start.
"What's are you doing?" She asked, noticing him fiddling with the chair and mirrors.
"I'm adjusting to the correct driving position"
Ava closed her eyes again and waited for the car to start.

They drove together in silence, well below the speed limit.
"You know Dr. Bekker in judaism we don't believe life begins at conception, we believe a foetus is mearly water until 40 days" Lathem told her.
"Oh, I didn't know that" Ava lifted her head, "my father was Jewish"

God they really must have given me the good meds

"He never really raised me to religious, but I would go to the synagogue with him in the odd time, drive him around and cook for him on shabott so he didn't have to use electricity" Ava popped open her moose, taking a spoon of it she turned it over on her tongue, letting it coat her mouth.
"I was unaware of this fact about your family" Dr. Lathem nodded.
"From your word choice, I gather he is no longer with us"
"No, heart attack" Ava sighed, "I enknowlage I irony of that"
Dr. Lathem nodded again and they confused driving. Without even realising it Ava found her face covered in tears, her breathing laboured.
Lathem finally removed his hands from the ten and two position and patted one on Ava's shoulder. "It will be okey, Dr. Bekker"
"You can call me Ava, I think we're well past formalities" she wiped her eye with the back of her hand.
"Everything will be okey, Ava"

///

"He drove me home, and we chatted for a bit, it was nice" Ava said, her voice slightly hoarse from crying.
Connor stroked her hair, pulling there for heads away from each other.
"When did, when did he-" Connor whispered, afraid to say it.
"The night I went to ask him for the money for the Hybrid OR" Ava shivered, pulling herself closer to Connors warmth.
"I never should have believed him over you, Avey" he shook his head vigorously, tears dripping down his cheeks into her hair.
"And I never should have made you go to that stupid gala" he cursed, remembering how he left Ava alone. Ava didn't say anything, she just curled somehow closer to him.

Connor gripped the fabric at the back of her shirt in anger, still lightly kissing all over her forehead and hair.
"Ava look at me" he tilted her chin up.
Ava's eyes were clear with tears that still rimed the, her noise crinkling every so often.
"No one, is ever going to hurt you like that again, Okey" Connor fought to keep his voice calm so he wouldn't scare Ava.
"If anything ever happens, you tell me okey? You tell me and I will be there" he assured her.
Ava nodded timidly, "Its best like this, the honesty"
"It is" he agreed and Ava kissed his lips, her stomach growling simultaneously.
"Let's get you some breakfast" he kissed her forehead again, leaving the bed to pull on some clean boxers.

Connor and Ava parted ways at the bathroom door, he kissed her forehead as she went to go shower alone. Ava stayed under the water, letting it sooth her aches. A slight smile came over her lips as she remembered the events of last night. Ava felt better then she did the night before, lighter, now that her and Connor were being honest with each other. Ava shut off the water and wrapped a towel around herself, wandering into her bedroom to get changed.

When she came into the kitchen she could hear quite classical music being played.
"Wouldn't have taken you as a classics fan" Ava smirked, sitting down at the breakfast bar.
Connor turned his phone around to her, it was a blurry image that from deep within the crowd, but Ava would be able to regonise that dancer anywhere.
Ava blushed and turned her head away, "Stalker"
"It did take me a few tries to spell Minenhle right" Connor told her, going back to watching her dance.
"Turn that off" she told him, pushing his arm lightly as she got up.
"You were good," he caught waist, pulling her back to him, "and you looked dam cute in a tutu" he kissed her neck.
"Don't you have to shower Dr. Rhodes?" She reminded him.
"I'm going, breakfast on the counter" he said getting up from his chair.
"Wait" Ava caught his wrist, pulling him back.
"Good morning" she pressed her lips to his.
"Good morning" he smiled, kissing her again before pulled away.
Ava went to the counter, finding her plate with two pancakes, one of which had a smiley face made out of banana slices.

After last night Connor and Ava couldn't stop smiling when they saw each other, taking any opportunity to briefly touch each other; brush of a hand, touch of the shoulder, supportive hand on the back.
"Dr. Rhodes, you paged me" Ava greeted him as she came down the hall.
"Yes I just need to speak with you..." Connor wrapped his fingers around her wrist, tugging her into am empty scrub room.
"In here?" Ava raised a brow, even through her hands were already at the sides of Connor face.
"Mhm" he hummed, kiss her her lightly.
They pulled back, their foreheads touching.
"Was that all?"
"No, it's Sunday so what movie do you want to watch?" Connor hands, rubbing Ava's palms in his hands.
"I don't know, is it too soon for Home alone?" Ava asked.
"Eh yes, it's November, that's it you're officially banned from picking the movies"
"More time of other things" Ava whispered, kissing him again.
Both their pagers buzzed in their hips, "Time to shine" Ava smiled, pulling back to hold the door open for Connor.

*

Ava let them into the apartment, took off her jacket and slipped of her coat.
"I'm going to go for a run" Connor told her, taking off his jacket and work shoes.
"I'll come with you" Ava said, "I didn't get to go today"
"You sure? You never run at night"
"Yeah because I don't feel safe running alone in the dark, but I've got you with me" she lightly punched his arm. "Afraid you won't be able to keep up?" She teased him.
Connor shook his head and went into his room to get changed, all of Ava's clothes were still in her room.

Connor and Ava opened their doors at the same time, "hey" she smiled.
"Let's go" Connor nodded to the door and Ava walked past him, wearing a matching black legs and jacket set, her long blonde hair secured in a low bun.
Connor and Ava left their apartment together, setting off at a nice jog, before starting into a run. They'd been running for a good forty minutes and color was starting to come to Connors cheeks. He glanced down to Ava who was still breathing comfort through her nose. Connor turned off suddenly and Ava stopped. "Where are you going?"
"Come here" he nodded, jogging on the spot.
"Your not going to murder me are you?" She followed him down the path.
"Oh no, not when we were seen leaving the apartment together, too suspicious" he teased, bumping his hip against hers.

"Oh wow" Ava breathed, jogging along the board with Connor. They were on a little boardwalk, running alongside the river. Ava watched the lights reflect off the waters smoothly.
"I thought you'd like it" Connor smiled over to her. They contained to run down the board until Connors watch bleeped and the slowed to a walk.
"How are you so fast?" He breathed, leaning against the railing to take sip of his water.
"I was on cross country in secondary school"
"You were captain, weren't you?" Connor smiled.
"I may have been" Ava cocked her head, joining him at the rail, taking a sip from his bottle.
"Now, Dr. Bekker, you're not sacred of this height are you?" He joked, referring to the drop below them to the water.
"I think I willl be alright, Dr. Rhodes. But you should watch yourself, there might be some small spaces on the way home" she backed up the way they came. "Race you" she sprinted off.

Connor quickly followed after her, chasing her home, laughing as he ran. He couldn't catch her but Ava turned her head back to smile at him, slowing her down a bit. Connor grabbed the back of her thighs and threw her over his shoulder.
"Connor" she squealed. "Put me on my feet!"
Connor dropped her back down, keeping her in his arms.
Ava smiled up giddily to him, "let's get you home", he rubbed her arm and they set off at a steady pace again.

Connor and Ava showered separately when they got home. Ava washes and dryer her hair before pinning it out of her way with a clip. She strolls into her bedroom in her towel, picking out a comfortable pair of sweats to lounge in this Sunday. Ava's bed remained not slept in from her spontaneous visit to Connors. She wanders back into the kitchen were Connor was stood making popcorn, freshly showered.

Ava sat down on the sofa, taking the remote and flicking through the options.
"What did I say about you picking the movie?" Connor teased, coming over with a bowl of popcorn.
"What about this?" Ava gestured to the screen.
"Casablanca, again?" Connor questioned and Ava nodded.
"Okey" Connor took his own corner of the sofa. The movie began and Connor and Ava were on there separate sides of the sofa. As the movie played on and they got up for snacks or drinks they seemed to subconsciously move closer, and closer to each other.

Ava jumped suddenly at the sound of a gunshot from the screen, brushing her elbow off Connors. He silently placed his arms over her shoulders, pulled her into him. Connor lay down, tired from the day, taking Ava with him who nestled into his chest, her hand on his heart and her knee bent over his. Connors stroked her soft hair, it like silk under his fingers.
"I missed this" Ava whispered sleepily as the credits rolled.
"What?" Connor chuckled.
Ava eyes shot open, realising the embarrassment of what she'd said and not wanting to repeat herself.
"Don't worry, Ava, I missed it too" he brushed his lips against the top of her head. Ava blushed, trying to disappear into his chest.

They got ready for bed, yawing as they went. Ava was first out fo the bathroom, sleepily making her way to her bedroom.
"Not so fast" Connor caught her waist gently in his hand, changing her course for his room.
"Oh yeah" Ava smiled, having been on auto pilot going to bed.
Ava and Connor got under the covers, Ava curled up next to Connor, always wanting to be near his warmth in bed.
"Goodnight Avey"
"Goodnight Connor"

A/n: get the two serious chapters out of the way

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

458 21 3
What if Jay realised that the divorce was not what Hailey wanted and she was just trying to make him happy so he comes home to Chicago, and home to h...
5.9K 228 52
Sequel to "Getting back to normal" From strangers to friends; friends into lovers, and strangers again Mature Themes I don't own either of these char...
5K 60 9
A love story between Ava Bekker and Connor Rhodes. Will everything go uphill or downhill? "I love you too Avey," The characters are from Chicago Med...
51.4K 1K 34
Picks up after 3x20. These are all my own opinions and ideas so please don't be offended by any of them. This is simply a way for me to pass the time...