Chapter 35- Ice Skating

"What happened to your patient in T4?" Ava asked, eyeing his full leg cast, something that would be rare to see in any ED.
"Broke his leg coming off an ice rink with his kid. You know the little metal step up to get off?"
Ava tilted her head and furrowed her brows playfully, "no"
"No what?" Connor said in a confused tone.
Av inhaled with a smile, "Tell me Dr. Rhodes, how many ice rinks do you think there are in South Africa?"
"What, oh- You've never been ice skating?!" Connor said in shock.
"Excellent anylsyise, Dr. Rhodes" she winked to him, walking away from the nurses station.

After shift Ava shuffled out into the cold to where Connor had parked that morning, spotting him already in the car.
"Hey" he smiled, kissing her cold cheek as she got into the car. Connor put his phone away and turned on the heated seats for Ava. Connor pulled out of the car park and took a right. Ava found this strange as this wasn't their normal route home but brushed it off. They continued talking about their day and their patients until he car came to a hault.
"Connor, this isn't the apartment..." Ava said skepticly.
"Oh I know" he nodded, getting out of the car.
Ava got out and looked around, resting her hand on top of the car.

Ava saw a glowing circle as her suspicions were confirmed.
"Connor, no" she shook her head. "I'll freeze!"
"Then I'll just have to keep you warm, won't it?" He pulled his hat onto Ava's head, her hair sticking out unevenly at all sides.
Connor took her hand and leaned her down the wooden planks to the ice.
"Two for Rhodes" Connor said as they made it to the stand, the man handed them two pairs of ice skates and Connor once again took her hand. They sat on the wooden bend at the side lines. Ava slid her feet into them shoes and stared at the middle of the laces.
"Here" Connor said, showing her how to pull and tighten the laces to support her ankle. Ava copied him and tied her other shoe.
Connor stood up and Ava stood up with him and watching the glistening surface before them.
"C'mon Avey, it'll be fun I swear" he pulled her out by her arms.

Connor placed his hand on the small of her back as she stepped onto the ice, clinging to the railing. Once she was stable Connor slid on, doing a semi circle in front of her.
"Look, it's easy Ava" he did a little waltz step in front of her.
"Show off" Ava laughed.
"Come to me" he held out his arms.
Ava slowly pushed off the wall, shuffling to Connor who slid back a little.
"Connor" Ava frowned, for once not enjoying his playfulness in this new environment.
Connor glided forward and wrapped his arms around Ava, pulling her along as he moved.
Ava's legs trembled beneath her as she slipped out fo Connors grasp landing on her bum with the legs flat out in front of her.

Connor stopped to look down at her, before braking into a laugh.
"Don't laugh! Help me up" She giggled, holding her hands out.
"I thought you'd have good balance being a ballerina"
"I never danced on ice Connors" she took his hands.
"How did you even fall, I had you in my arms?"
Connor pulled her up and into his chest.
"Clearly you weren't holding me very tight"
"Is this better?" He wrapped his arms around her like he hand when they danced together.
"Certainly more familiar" Ava leaned into his chest before Connor pushed her back on her ice.
"Connor" She squealed but managed to stop herself.
"Oh, I did it!" She smiled and Connor laughed at her joy from such a simple thing.

In no time Ava was speeding a round the near empty ice rink, moving as gracefully as she had in the videos Connor had watched of her. Ava skated past him quite quickly, "come on Rhodes!" She called over her shoulder. Connor sped after her watching Ava suddenly stop in front of him gazing down puzzled at her foot. Connor slowed and stoped beside her, Ava kicked her leg out a little, knocking her open lace agasint her boot. Before she could bend down to fix it, Connor got down on one knee and held her calf. He took the two strings and tightly tied them together, entwining them again. Connor looked up and smiled at Ava's flushed face.
Connor rose to his feet once more, "Always the gentleman" she smirked before leading with her leg and speeding away.

Connor skated backwards and caught up to her, entrapping her in his arms as they slowed to a hault.
"Did you enjoy this?"
"Very much" Ava leaded her head back against his chest.
"I'm glad you did, but it's getting late" he reminded her.
Ava knew exactly what he meant by that, they had another 7am start time and need their sleep. They did one more lap hand in hand before coming off the ice.
"How do I get off the ice?" Ava asked.
"You just step off, like going up the stairs"
"Isn't that how your patient broke his leg?" Ava asked worriedly.
Connor came behind her and scooped her up into his arms, Connor stepped off the ice and set her on her feet.
"There, no injuries sustained" he brushed a hand through her hair.
Ava chuckled and took Connors hand again, waddling over to the bench. They took off their boots and put back on their shoes. They thanked the owner of the rink and got back into the car. Ava leaned over the console and kisses him, "Thank you, I really did enjoyed myself"
"I could tell" Connor kissed her again before starting the engine. He drove home quickly, dissatisfied with Ava's cold noise and cheeks.

When Ava got home she scurried into the apartment with Connor shortly behind. She slipped off her shoes and jacket, shivering still. Connor put the back of his hand to Ava's cheek, frowning at the coolness he received. He flicked on the heating while Ava went to get ready for bed. Connor sat on the edge of their bed in his boxers waiting for Ava to come to bed. She wandered out of the bathroom still in the clothes she'd changed into after work.
"Come here" he pulled her between his legs. Connor touched her face, legs and stomach.
"You're still too cold" he frowned. Connor quickly pulled her hoodie over her head, ruffling her hair as it went. Connor unbuttoned her jeans and pulled them down her legs, Ava stepped out of them and wrapped her arms around herself.
"I'm cold" she pointed out the obvious.
"Just a second" he reached around to unclip her bra, letting it slowly fall down her arms.

Connor lay back on the bed under the covers and pulling Ava onto him. Ava threw her arms around him, pulling the duvet over them. She pulled herself into his arms and his warmth, throwing her leg over his hip. Ava slowly felt herself warm to this closeness and Connor relaxed, feeling the warmth return to her legs and arms.
Ava lifted her head up to find his lips, "Goodnight, and thank you for today"
"Goodnight Avey"